Again | DreamNotFound

By Lottiara

Dream never thought he was incredible with children, but when a young girl with way too familiar brown eyes c... More

The lost child
One too many "daddy" jokes
Damn those brown eyes
A birthday party
This isn't a movie
Comfort at the hospital
You wanted me
First day of preschool
So many smiles
Scraped knees
Old habits die hard
Trick or treat
A bit too domestic
Getting too involved
Drunken realisations
A little bit scary
Fight for it

Don't leave again

1.8K 107 357
By Lottiara

Chapter 7

"How is she?" Dream asked as Sapnap and Karl walked into the house, following them both to the kitchen.

"She's fine. You could find out yourself, you know." Sapnap said, dumping the car keys on the table and turning to look at Dream.

"You know I can't do that." Dream said, sitting down on a stool. Karl stood beside Sapnap, who pulled him closer with an arm around his waist. "And how's George?"

"Also fine. And why couldn't you just speak to him when I called?" Karl asked.

"That would involve me having to talk to him." Dream said.

"So? You've done that before. You literally spoke words to him two days ago at the hospital."

"I don't want to. Besides, I don't even care that much." He said with a shrug, swinging on the stool. Sapnap and Karl gave each other a look.

"You don't care that much but you still asked how Lana and George are doing?"

"Well I was just curious. It was a stressful day." Dream said, tapping his foot on the floor.

"But it's all sorted now. Lana's better, they are back home, and George is now her emergency contact." Karl said.

"About that, why wasn't he her contact? I never asked." Sapnap turned to Karl.

"Um." Karl glanced at Dream, as if he was unsure if he knew, or should say it in front of him. "Well, when she was born, George hadn't listed himself because he wasn't sure what role he was going to have in her life. The hospital automatically put her Mother's. And obviously, since George and Lana moved away, he never had to change it here in Florida."

"When did he tell you all that?" Sapnap asked, confused.

"Today."

"You guys were out for a while, did you spend all the time with them?" Dream cut in.

"Sort of. We went with George and Lana to the preschool to help him sort out some forms and so Lana could meet the staff." Karl said.

"She's starting preschool?"

"Yeah, since they moved here she needed a new one. She's quite anxious about it though. And George is worried too. She starts in a week." Sapnap said.

"That is stressful. Are the other kids at the party at the same preschool?" Dream asked.

"I think one of them is, and in her age group..." Karl glanced at Sapnap who has narrowed eyes at Dream. "But other than that I think she doesn't know anyone else."

"Hm. That would be scary. I'm sure she'll be fine." Dream said, still spinning on the stool.

"Hm yeah." Sapnap said with a scoff. "I thought you didn't care."

"I don't, I just..." Dream stopped spinning, and swallowed. "Ok maybe I care a little but that's only because she's a nice kid and hasn't done anything wrong."

"It's ok to care, Dream. If it helps, George asked about you as well." Karl pulled away from Sapnap and walked away into the living room. Dream quickly followed.

"What did he say?" Dream asked curiously.

"I don't even care that much." Sapnap mocked Dream.

"Just asked if you were doing ok, thought the hospital visit might have made you more uncomfortable."

"What did you tell him?"

"That it didn't, and you care about him and Lana." Sapnap piped in.

"What! Why would you say that?" Dream glared at him.

"Because you care... about... him and Lana." Sapnap had to hold back his laughter.

"It's not funny." Dream mumbled.

"Doesn't matter, he didn't believe me anyway." Sapnap shrugged, collapsing onto the couch. Karl sat down beside him and leaned into his side.

Dream just scoffed, and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Anyways. What are you doing this Saturday, Dream?" Karl asked. Dream laughed.

"Nothing. As usual. Did you have to ask?"

"Well, I was just making conversation." Karl shrugged. "Weren't you talking about visiting your family soon?"

"Uh. Yeah, I guess." Dream shrugged.

"Well why don't you go see them!" Karl grinned. Sapnap glanced at Karl with a warning stare.

"I mean, I probably will. Just haven't planned it." Dream blinked.

"Why not go Saturday." Karl offered.

"Why." Dream narrowed his eyes.

"We uh..." Sapnap spoke now. "Me and Karl are going out. And maybe instead of staying in and making yourself miserable, you could go visit your family."

"I stay in all the time when you guys go out and I'm fine. Why do you want me gone Saturday." Dream looked between the two of them.

"It was just a suggestion. I just thought it would be a good idea for you to get a break from everything here and the George stuff. And so we don't miss you much you should go when we are busy anyways." Karl said, still smiling.

"We are worried for you Dream." Sapnap added, tone softer, and it made Dream lower his arms. "I think a break might be good. They live on the other side of town, you could stay the night. Your Mom and Drista would love it." Sapnap said.

"Why are you worried about me?" Dream asked, sitting opposite them on the other couch.

"Why do you think?" Karl said.

"I know I've been a little all over the place these past few weeks but it's not my fault." Dream said softly.

"We know that. That's why I think you should take a break. Go take your sister to the movies or something. Sleep at your parents house. Just one night. I think it could be good for you." Sapnap said.

"Maybe you're right." Dream sighed. "I think it could clear my head. I'll give my Mom a call, see if I can stay over Saturday night."

"That's a great idea." Karl grinned.

"And we'll be one call away." Sapnap added.

"Clay!" Drista shouted the second he unlocked the door, and she nearly knocked him over running in for a hug.

"Hey, loser." Dream hugged her back.

"What are you doing? I didn't know you were going to visit!" She said, pulling away, just as their Mom entered the room with a smile.

"Hi Mom." Dream gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek.

"I'm glad you called, Clay." She turned to Drista. "Thought it would be funnier to surprise you."

"I hate you both." She spun on her heel and walked into another room. Dream's Mom chuckled, before turning back to Dream.

"How are you, honey?"

"I'm alright." He sighed.

"Did you want to talk about it?" She offered. Dream shook his head.

"Maybe later." He smiled weakly.

"Hurry up, Clay! I have to destroy you in Mario Kart!" Drista called from the other room, and Dream just rolled his eyes before following her voice.

"There's no chance in hell."

"I hate quality brother-sister bonding time." Drista scowled.

"You love me." Dream tugged her closer with an arm around her shoulders. She squirmed.

"Get off." She escaped his grasp. "I'm here for the free food and rides."

"Oh, you're assuming I'll pay." Dream raised an eyebrow.

"I'm a child with no job. Yes I'm assuming you'll pay. Mom will kill you if you don't."

"You've been dying to come to this carnival, Mom told me." Dream shook his head with a laugh.

"Yeah, and she wouldn't take me because it's on the other side of the city!" She exclaimed. "Don't know why she chose to live on the worst end of town. You live so far away from us I never get to see you."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'll visit more."

"You better. And let me stay at yours sometime. You live closer to fun things like this." Her eyes suddenly lit up. "Dodgems! Clay, we have to."

"You bet we do." He laughed, and she dragged him over to the ride.

It was chaotic. They both got their own car, their only goal to attack the other. Dream didn't think he had laughed this hard in ages, and Drista's cackle made him laugh even harder. When the ride ended, she punched him in the shoulder, since he was still coughing from laughing so hard.

"That was so stupid. I want food. Then can we go on the ferris wheel? And then can we play some of the carnival games?"

"They are impossible to win, you know." Dream eyed a shooting game to their left as they continued walking.

"Well maybe you're just bad." She retorted.

"And can we pass on the ferris wheel, perhaps." Dream winced.

"Why?"

"Just... not a fan."

"Scared of heights." She stuck her tongue out.

"Something like that." Dream eyed the wheel and felt a pang in his heart.

They eventually reached the food truck sector of the carnival, and Drista decided she wanted a hot dog and icecream, so Dream got the same and they eventually found a table.

"How's Sapnap and Karl? Planned the wedding yet?"

"Still in the process, but it's coming together."

"Are you a groomsman?"

"Sapnap's best man." Dream said proudly.

"And am I a flower girl? I better be or I'll be pissed." She took an aggressive bite of her food.

"I'm not sure. You might just be a guest." Dream chuckled.

"Boring. Can I be Karl's best man?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"That's going to his brother unfortunately."

"Well can I at least be a groomsman for one of them? I'd rock a suit."

"Sapnap told me everyone's been sorted. He would have told you by now." Dream laughed.

"Who would be better than me!"

"Anyone else."

Dream was slower in eating, mind busy despite his efforts to try and distract himself.

"Oh my god! A ball pit!" Drista pointed in the distance, and Dream looked over to see a kids section. A ball pit, soft climbing equipment and foam blocks.

"Pity you're 16."

"I'm short! Do you think I can go?" She asked eagerly.

"You'd actually want to? You'd look like a loser."

"That kid looks my age! And her! Wait, that looks like Sophie from school."

"It's probably under 12s, Dris." Dream rolled his eyes.

"I'll be back." She took off and Dream followed her with his eyes, concerned. She reminded him of Sapnap sometimes, and it showed whenever they interacted and Dream felt like he befriended the male version of his little sister.

Dream felt his phone buzz, and he pulled it out, seeing a text from Sapnap himself.

How's the break?

Dream took a breath, and texted back.

Refreshing, I guess. I'm out with Drista at the moment and I'm trying not to think about things.

Dream glanced back over at the kids section and saw Drista chatting with a girl who did in fact look her age.

That's good. You needed a break. What are you up to?

At that carnival we talked about going to sometime soon. The one I've been putting off going since I last came four years ago.

A little over four years ago. It was one of Dream's favourite memories once, but now it only brought heartache. His eyes drifted to the ferris wheel, remembering the night, and how perfect it was. The beginning of something beautiful. And something tragic.

Dream shook his head, and looked back at Drista, who was now bouncing on a small trampoline, holding hands with a little girl who's brown hair was bouncing with her laughs.

Dream's stomach dropped when they turned, and he recognised that little girl's face.

He glanced back down at his phone as it buzz.

Wait, you're at the Helium carnival?

Dream got to his feet and speed-walked over to the kids section, trying to make eye contact with Drista but avoiding the girl she was playing with. Dream looked around, trying to see if a familiar brunet man was nearby but he couldn't spot him. He didn't want to be spotted. He needed to leave.

"Dris, come on." Dream said, voice fast. His sister turned, and spotted him over the heads of parents.

"Clay! Look! I'm taller than you." She laughed.

"What are you, 8 years old?" He hissed, ducking behind someone else's head when he saw Lana turn around.

"One more minute." She called to him.

Dream remained hidden behind the tall stranger, silently cursing to himself. He glanced to his left, and his heart stopped when he saw the exact person he was trying to avoid.

"Lana! Time to go." George called out.

"No! I'm staying with my new friend!" The little girl responded.

Dream closed his eyes, and willed for himself to be somewhere completely different. Maybe another country.

"Drista? Is that you?"

"George?"

Dream shook his head, wanting to disappear. He wanted to walk away, and he probably could have, his sister had a phone, she'd find him in five minutes. But his feet kept him stuck to the ground.

He felt eyes on him, and looked up to see Drista staring at him. Dream ran a hand down his face. Why were Lana and George everywhere? He didn't want to have to explain this to his sister. She barely even knew what happened years ago.

"I have to go. Um. Bye, Lana." Drista said, pulling her hand away from the girl and quickly walking out of the kids area. George was about to say something to her, but stopped when he saw her grab Dream's arm. George and Dream locked eyes again.

"Clay. We can go, it's ok." Drista whispered.

"Dream!" Lana had seen him now, and sprinted over to him, hugging his leg.

"Hi Alana." Dream swallowed. He felt Drista's grip tighten on his arm. George cautiously approached.

"I last saw you when you were 12 I think." George said, awkwardly to Drista, hands behind his back. She just hummed in response. "I see um... that you've met Lana." George said, who was currently making grabby hands at Dream to pick her up.

"Briefly." Drista said nervously. "She your... niece?"

Dream caved, and picked up the little girl, who hugged him around the neck.

"Alana is George's daughter. She's uh... she's just turned four." Dream cleared his throat.

"Four?" Drista's eyebrows furrowed, looking at the little girls face and seeing so much of George that it hurt to look at.

"Are you feeling better Alana?" Dream asked softly.

"Much better!" She smiled. "Dream, you have to call me Lana, remember? My friends call me Lana."

"Ok. This is weird. I want to leave." Drista said out loud. George awkwardly shuffled side to side and Dream just snorted.

"You can be nicer than that."

"No, Clay. This is weird. You're making small talk with the kid of your ex-fiancé who broke your heart, and had a biological kid the same age as your breakup. I don't have to be nice to the guy that cheated on you." She then turned to glare at George. "You completely broke his heart."

"I know." George's eyes were wide and beginning to glisten. "But I didn't cheat."

"Ex-boyfriend, Drista." Dream corrected her. "We weren't... more than that."

"Didn't cheat? Then explain the life sized evidence of a cheater." She pointed at the girl in Dream's arms.

"Heyyy." Sapnap arrived, a hand on George's shoulder while he caught his breath from clearly running.

"Oh hi Sapnap." Dream said, in a monotone voice and tense jaw.

"What a lovely reunion! Lana, Uncle Karl has icecream!" Sapnap laughed nervously, avoiding eye contact with Dream.

"Icecream?" The little girl perked up and squirmed out of Dream's grasp, then ran in the direction Sapnap was pointing, to a Karl who was holding a cone and looking quite stressed at the situation. "Uncle Karl!"

"He's Uncle Karl now?" Dream asked, staring at Sapnap.

"Drista! Long time no see." Sapnap grinned at her, changing the subject.

"I'm getting whiplash from this conversation." Drista put a hand on her head. "Can someone please explain to me why there's a child in my presence?"

"Well, it's quite simple really. When a mommy and a daddy love each other very-"

"Sapnap! Shut the fuck up!" Drista yelled.

"Language." Dream mumbled.

"Why'd you have to explain it like that." George had his eyes closed and looked like he was going to be sick.

"Clay, let's leave." She tugged on his arm. Dream didn't budge yet, still staring at George.

"Good luck with um... her starting preschool and all that." He said awkwardly, his spare hand waving around.

"Thanks, Dream." George responded softly, eyes still glistening.

"Clay, let's go." Drista was insistent.

"Sorry we were... here. I know you... are tired of us being everywhere, like you said." Dream swallowed.

"It's not your fault." George responded softly.

"Clay."

"This is why you wanted me out of house this weekend?" Dream turned to Sapnap, who instantly looked guilty.

"We invited them over for dinner at our place, and I didn't want you to feel like you were forced to leave so-"

"So you manipulated me into leaving instead." Dream was hurt. "You don't have to lie to me. I'm a grown man."

"But you needed to see your family anyways." Sapnap said desperately.

"I kinda wish he never did." Drista tugged one final time, and Dream stumbled backwards. He turned around and walked with Drista, not looking back.

He found himself more frustrated with Sapnap than the entire George situation.

"I want a full explanation." Drista said.

Dream just hummed in response, and she looked at him, seeing how exhausted and down her older brother seemed.

"Tomorrow." She gave him a side hug.

Dream lay down on the couch, staring at the ceiling as his mother explained everything to Drista the next day. He occasionally chimed in with new information, but he was too exhausted to care about her reaction.

He was furious about several things. And he couldn't pick which one bothered him more.

The fact Sapnap and Karl made him leave his own house.
Or the fact they all took George's daughter to the Carnival where they had their first date.

There was more, but those two nagged at his brain. Not to mention Karl getting the Uncle label. Family. They were part of George's family now.

And where was Dream?

"And you're cool with it all? Clay?" Drista asked him. Dream didn't look over, just shrugged.

"I think he's mostly just processing the past couple weeks." His Mom offered.

"He should be mad! I'd be furious."

"No, maybe he should be happy that his ex is happy. This is a sign he should move on." His Mom tried to be positive.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to feel." Dream said softly, and felt them both look at him. "I don't know what to do with myself."

"Well, if there's one thing Sapnap got right, it's that you need a break. Some time for yourself. Why don't you stay the week?" His Mom said.

Dream nodded. He didn't want to go home anyways. Not when his roommates just easily kicked him to the side anyways for them. The little family they've made.

"You should call and let Sapnap and Karl know." His Mom said.

"No, they'll catch on pretty quick when I'm not home tonight." Dream fiddled with the tassels on the cushion he was hugging.

"They might be worried."

"They know where I am. Sapnap has my location." Dream gritted his teeth. And that was the last thing that was said on the matter.

But he did get several messages and calls from Sapnap and a few from Karl that evening. Dream ignored them all, he was still fuming and knew he would blow up if he picked up the phone.

Drista complained too because Sapnap was shooting her some texts as well, but she opted to not respond either, in solidarity with her brother.

Although the messages slowed down over the next few days, he still got a few and at least one call from Sapnap a day. And maybe Dream was beginning to feel a little guilty, and also a little childish with the silent treatment.

So maybe he answered a call on Wednesday.

"Sapnap, I'm fine. Just want some time to myself." Dream sighed, pacing in his bedroom.

"Finally you answered. Dude, a message would have been nice." But Sapnap sounded relieved.

"You knew where I was, don't act like you were worried."

"I'm allowed to be worried about my best friend who is already going through a tough time and then went radio silent for nearly four days."

"Ok." Dream wasn't sorry, even if maybe he should be.

"Look." Sapnap sighed. "It was shitty of Karl and I to lie about why we wanted you out of the house." Sapnap said.

"Yeah."

"It's just that every time George is brought up, or Lana, or anything about me and Karl seeing them, you get all antsy and sad."

"Cool. So lying is the way to go." Dream was picking at his nails.

"I hate seeing you like this." Sapnap said softly. "And I thought you should visit your family anyways so I thought it could be a good thing, and maybe I could get away with not making you sad."

"Cool."

"Dream, I'm sorry. I don't know what to do to fix this." Sapnap sounded slightly distressed.

"I don't think it can be fixed." Dream sat on his bed.

"I don't want you to be mad at me. Tell me what I can do."

"I just..." Dream ran a hand through his hair and tried to swallow the lump in his throat. "I'll get over it. This argument. But I... I don't know if I can fix how I feel about George and Alana and you guys being in their life. It's... it's suffocating to think about. It hurts so bad and I don't know why." Dream's voice wavered.

"I'm sorry Dream." Sapnap didn't know what to say.

"She called him Uncle Karl." Dream bit his lip and looked up to stop his eyes from watering. "I don't know why it hurts."

"I know what you want Dream." Sapnap sounded almost as upset as Dream. "I know how badly you wish things had gone different 4 years ago. And I know how much you care."

"But no matter how much I wish, it never happened. I'm not part of the family. I'm not even Uncle Dream. I'm not..." Dream closed his eyes. "I'm not anything to her. Or him. And I know I need to accept that, but it just hurts so bad, Sapnap. To think about what could have been."

"I know." And Dream thought maybe Sapnap was crying a little. "I think about it too."

Dream lay down on the bed.

"How do I stop feeling like this?" He put a hand on his chest.

"I don't know if it'll go away, Dream." Sapnap's voice was soft. "But with time it may hurt a little less."

"How much time?"

"I don't know." Sapnap took a deep breath. "Come home, Dream."

"I can't." Dream put a hand over his eyes. "Soon I'm going to be alone in that house."

"What?" Sapnap whispered.

"When you and Karl get married, and I know I joke about being the third wheel in my own home but Sapnap, I don't think I can live by myself."

"We won't ever be far from you."

"Everyone has their own family." Dream wiped the tears off his cheeks. "And I have no one."

"You have us." Sapnap pleaded. "Dream, you're my brother."

Dream couldn't say anymore.

"Come home, Clay."

On Friday, Dream was watching a football game on the TV with Drista. She claimed she hated the sport, but got into the game as much as Dream did. They were waiting for the pizza to arrive.

"Drista, get the pizza." Dream said, when he heard the chime echo through the house. His team had possession, he couldn't leave.

"Where are your manners." She scoffed. Dream didn't respond, eyes stuck on the screen.

"Someone get the door please!" Their Mom called through the house, arms full of freshly dried clothes.

"See? Manners." Drista got off the couch.

Dream held his breath. A pass. Another pass. A tackle and he swore.

He heard the door slam shut, and his mouth started watering with hunger. But when Drista walked back into the room with no pizza in her arms, he glared at her.

"Where's the food?" His team lost possession.

"Wasn't the pizza guy." She shrugged.

"Drista who was at the door?" Their Mom entered and also noticed the lack of pizza.

"No one." She responded.

The doorbell rang again, and their Mom moved to go get it, but Drista jumped to her feet and chased her.

"Mom, don't."

Dream's attention was no longer on the game. He looked over his shoulder when his mother and sister disappeared down the hall to answer the door again, and he stood up to follow.

"Oh." His Mom had opened the door, but Drista slammed it shut again.

"What's going on?" Dream called down the hall, and they both turned to look at him.

"Nothing. Just someone with random flyers. Right Mom?" Drista said.

His Mom looked torn, and then sighed and opened the door again. Dream couldn't see who it was.

"Hi, Holly. Um. I am so so sorry about being here, and I-I'm sure you've heard about everything but I... um... is Clay here? I was hoping maybe to speak to him."

Dream froze at the end of the hall, now seeing brown hair just over his Mom's shoulder.

"Hi George." His Mom's voice was gentle. "How have you been?"

"Oh. Um." George clearly wasn't expecting the question. "I'm ok. How, um, how have you been?"

"Alright." His Mom turned around to glance at Dream at the end of the hallway, who was still frozen in place. Drista looked at him too.

Dream shook his head.

"Sorry, George. Clay's not really up for speaking tonight. Maybe you could give him a call? Or I could pass on a message?" His Mom said to him.

"I don't have his number anymore." George said softly. "Could, um. Could you tell him we're moving. I just... I want him to know so he doesn't feel like he has to hide." His voice was so quiet, but Dream heard every word.

"Didn't you just move back here?" Dream's Mom asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"I did. But... I realised it's not a good fit for me. Or anyone. And I really dislike my apartment."

"Alright. I'll let him know."

"I'm sorry to disturb your evening." George said softly.

"That's alright, George. I hope everything works out for you." She said.

"And you as well. And I'm sorry about what happened at the carnival, Drista."

"It's ok." She crossed her arms over her chest.

"But it was good seeing you both again." George backed away from the door.

"Goodnight, George."

The door was shut, and both Dream's family members turned to look at him, still stuck in the same place, still unmoving.

"Clay? Honey, you alright?" His Mom approached him. He was breathing heavy as he processed.

"He's moving away. It won't be a problem anymore, you won't have to think about it." Drista walked over too.

"Clay?" His mother asked again, but Dream just looked up at the door.

He made up his mind, and ran to the front door, throwing it open and jogging over to the boy about to get into his car.

"George." He put a hand on the car door before George could open it, and it made the brunet jump back in surprise. Dream noticed his eyes were slightly red.

"Dream-"

"You're moving?" Dream's breathing was rushed.

"I- yeah." George looked down.

"Why?"

"A few reasons." George mumbled.

"What about Alana's new school? She's starting on Monday."

"There are other schools." George said softly.

"You only just moved here I don't understand why you're leaving again."

"Dream, I think you do know why." George met his eyes.

"It's because of me?" Dream deflated slightly when George didn't disagree. "I'm sorry." He took a step away from George. "I... I know how much you didn't want me to be in your life and yet I keep showing up. I didn't mean to meet Alana, or get her to like me. I didn't mean to."

"No, no Dream it's not like that-"

"You just wanted to build your life back, I know. I'm sorry I got in the way. Your ex from the past who proposed too early and ruined things and just keeps showing up wherever you go, who your daughter seems to like for some reason and who just won't leave you alone. I know. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry George."

"Dream, stop. Please, please stop." George was tearing up.

"I-I can stay away. Sapnap and Karl are moving out soon into their own place. I won't see much of them after that, and I don't go out much anyways. You-you don't have to leave, George."

"That!" George pointed at Dream's chest while wiping his face with the other. "That's why I have to go. It's been four years. I broke your heart and Sapnap's heart, and Karl's and everyone's and I left. You stayed, you all did. You built your life here and I came back and I've made you run away!" George gestured to Dream's family home. "I never wanted to make you feel unwelcome in your own city. Sapnap said you haven't been home in a week, and he thinks it's because of him, but you feel less suffocated here because I'm far away."

George put both his hands over his face.

"I broke your heart four years ago and here I am pushing you away from your own home and friends. I'm sorry, Dream. It was never my goal to do that. I just wanted to come back, start over, rekindle friendships, maybe even get a selfish glimpse of you again. But that didn't work. I don't know why I thought it would be fine. I see you and I see the look on your face when we broke up. I see it everyday."

Dream was crying now too, as he watched the boy he used to love break down in front of him.

"I ruined everything four years ago. So why should you be the one to hide." George sobbed.

Dream couldn't help it anymore. He was usually so good at fighting the temptation to reach for George whenever he saw him. But nonetheless, he pulled the boy into a hug, a hand on the back of head and the other on his back. George didn't hug back, but melted into the hold. Dream buried his head into George's hair, trying to stop his own tears. He needed this hug maybe more than George did. Just to touch and feel his warmth one more time.

"I'm so sorry, Clay." George whispered.

They stayed like that for a few moments, while George calmed down and Dream collated his thoughts.

Eventually, George got some sense and pulled away and Dream let go, meeting his eyes once more after George wiped his face.

"Please don't leave again." Dream said softly. "I think it'll hurt me more if you leave again than if you stay and remind me of what could have been."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"Then don't leave." Dream wanted to reach for his hand but stopped himself. He always wanted to reach. "And talk to me. Maybe I won't hurt as much if you explain the past."

"Or it'll hurt you more." George looked pained.

"I think it hurts more that we are this physically close." Dream gestured between them. "But I feel so distant."

George looked at the ground.

"We are strangers, Dream." George said softly.

"We loved each other." Dream said desperately. "And why do I know nothing about you now?"

"It's been four years." George shuffled his feet.

"Four years that I wish I was there for but wasn't." Dream tried to catch George's eyes. "I want to know you, George. I know it's going to hurt. It'll probably hurt us both to talk about it."

"You want me to break your heart again?" George looked at him. "Isn't easier to not think about it?"

"I'm suffocating, George. I feel like I can't breathe because everything aches and nothing makes sense. And seeing you brings some sort of relief that I know I shouldn't be feeling. Filling in the gaps of our past myself hurts more than the truth, I promise you that. I need to know. Please, George."

George saw the desperation on Dream's face. He also saw the pain and confusion. He thought Dream not knowing would be better, but maybe it's finally clicked that it's tearing them both up inside.

"Okay." He said softly. "But not today."

Dream felt himself relax with relief. An explanation.

"Can... can I have you number again?" George's voice was nervous. Dream just sent him a soft smile and when George held out his phone, he typed it into a new contact. Dream.

"And Dream. Go home. Please. Sapnap's losing his mind." George said, opening his car door finally.

"I will if you promise me something." Dream kept the door open.

"What?"

"That you don't move away." He said. George chewed on his lip.

"But you're going to hate me after I explain."

"I promise that I won't hate you. And you have to promise you won't move."

"Dream-"

"George." Dream stared at him. "Please."

"Ok." George whispered. "If you don't hate me after I explain everything, then I won't move away."

Dream smiled, and backed away from the car.

"See you soon, George."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
Progress!

I remember writing this scene months ago and I was on my period at the time and cried while writing it which I have to admit is embarrassing.

This story gets so fun I promise. I've pre-written so many chapters

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326K 10.6K 62
Two kingdoms, a little rivalry between the people, two lonely princes, one small party. Some don't believe in faith, some don't believe in soulmates...
418K 15.8K 33
George, a famous streamer, has been invited by his friend Sapnap to go to Disney in Florida with Karl, Bad, and Skeppy. George soon finds out that Sa...
477K 14K 61
Clay struggles with home life, and his social life isn't the greatest either. George on the other hand is the popular kid in school, having no issues...
16.3K 725 25
dream, george, nick, and karl are all broke college kids that put all (what was left) of their savings into their band. they get small gigs sometimes...