Back to You // Bradley Bradsh...

By winterharleys

Haley Seresin, callsign 'Hurricane', has made it to Top Gun finally, along side her brother Jake 'Hangman' Se... More

Cast List/Information
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Five

6K 135 20
By winterharleys

    After the week long break, things were back in swing again finishing up the program. Final tests were in order, all attempts to rack up final points to determine the graduating class. There were no points for second place, they had been told once. Haley felt like the trip had been good in terms of moving forward with Jake and Sabrina. Their relationship was still odd, but it didn't make her as uncomfortable. After the late night conversation with Rooster on the last night, she had found herself a little distant. She felt like she had opened some void between them that she couldn't seem to close.

    Maybe it was her way of running without physically leaving. She knew she had to grow up and face things instead of just leaving them. This was what had gotten them in the original mess the summer before, and Haley felt like cost them time together. Was she costing them time again? It had begun to feel like it. They had talked over the last week and seen one another, but never quite about the elephant in the room. A lot of her focus had been on finishing Top Gun, and she knew he had been too. Haley wondered if they were afraid to even try to discuss what had happened.

    The class was in one of the lecture halls, debriefing after their final test. "These last thirteen weeks have tested each and every one of you to your limits. This has been an exceptional group of pilots-" Cypher began, but was interrupted by Jake.

"Obviously, or we wouldn't be here." Jake said, which got an echo of cheering from Coyote and a few others around them. Cypher surprisingly didn't seem to mind the interruption considering it was the end of the program.

"The points have been taken down and are being calculated for final class rankings. Graduation is tomorrow morning and you will know your final placement then. Congratulations to all of you. You are dismissed for one final time." Cypher concluded, before leaving the room.

Blaze was sitting next to Haley at their table. He had been putting everything he had into each test and exercise they went on, but wasn't his usual self. Not that Haley blamed him. She couldn't imagine diving back into this almost two weeks after your dad died, but he did. She guessed he was using it as a distraction. "Done what we can. I guess we'll know tomorrow where we land." Blaze told her. "Regardless, it's been a hell of a 13 weeks flying with you." He added with a small grin.

Haley nodded in agreement. There wasn't any point in stressing over the outcome, it was what it was. "Same here." She agreed, offering him a fist bump, which he returned. Everyone was moving to leave the room now that they were dismissed. There was a lot of chatter regarding curiosity about the final rankings.

"Anyone but Bagman, please." Phoenix said, crossing her fingers. "We will never hear the end of it."

Haley smiled a little, knowing that would be the truth. She bid goodbye to Blaze and Phoenix and moved to leave. She saw Rooster waiting for her by the door. They had continued spending time together since returning from Lake Tahoe, but it had felt a different. She knew she was acting off and a little distant. Rooster seemed to be trying to toe the line of not giving up on her but also trying to give her space.

"Well, we did it. Or I guess officially will have come tomorrow." Haley told him and Rooster nodded. There was a pause after, Haley knew that was the void coming in. She just felt like she had opened Pandora's Box and couldn't get it closed after what they had talked about. It felt like they were on the same page about things but not at the same time. They began the walk to go outside of the building.

"I don't know what you want me to say or do," Rooster admitted after a moment of silence. He stopped when they were outside and turned to face Haley. Her back was against a wall and he was standing in front of her.

"I don't know either." Haley agreed. She really didn't know what would make things better. "I mean, I'm still a little embarrassed to have suggested that then essentially get rejected." That was how it felt, even if it did feel more like a proposition.

Rooster looked agitated suddenly. "That's what you think happened?" He questioned. "I told you that I didn't think it was a good idea to get married under those circumstances, not that I don't want it one day. It isn't an ultimatum. Me saying that isn't the way I'd want to do it doesn't mean we break up. Nor does it if we get separate orders." His voice sounded a little heated. "I don't want you to wake up one day, look at me and realize that you did it impulsively just to stay together."

Haley jerked back a little in surprise. She couldn't believe he thought she'd look at him and the situation as an impulsive decision. Haley knew she was known for impulsivity but she didn't feel like she was when it came to him. "I'm never going to regret being with you." Haley told him. She thought for a moment about what he said and things she had reflected on over the last few days. "It was dumb. And I understand what you mean. Despite it being something we know we want eventually, the way I brought it up did sound proposition like." Haley replied, "But now I feel like things are weird."

"It wasn't dumb, Hales. But we've got to figure out a way to move past it and deal with whatever comes." Rooster responded. "I just don't like the idea of getting married because splitting up in the Navy is looming over us."  His voice softened some. "What exactly is bothering you?" He asked, clearly trying to understand.

Haley nodded. She knew she wasn't upset about them not taking that out, but she felt awkward since it had come up. Maybe it was that and the anxiety twisted in waiting to see where they land next. She knew it wasn't a rejection, they'd both made it clear they want a future together.

    "I don't know. I swear it's not the not getting married. I get it. Especially having thought about all of it the last few days. I think am just frustrated there isn't anything we can do. And I was a little embarrassed I made that suggestion in the first place." Haley answered.

    Rooster shook his head. "Don't be. People do it all the time for reasons with the military. It wasn't out of left field." He said, and Haley knew that. It wasn't uncommon. "It was not a rejection. You know how I feel about you." Haley nodded and was quiet for a moment or two.

"Listen, I'm going to go get things ready for tomorrow. I'll talk to you later, okay?" Haley said, glancing up at him. She touched his hand gently for a moment before she moved to leave. Rooster gave a nod, and she could tell by his expression he didn't like the way they were leaving off, but he didn't try to argue with her. She turned to head to leave the base with Rooster left behind her. When she reached her car, she jumped when she heard a voice next to her.

"What's up with you two?"

Haley looked at her brother who was standing beside her. She was annoyed he had been lurking somewhere apparently. Though she knew he and Sabrina had noticed the weirdness between them when they left Lake Tahoe. "Why do you care?" Haley asked him. She was in a little bit of a mood and knew she shouldn't be taking it out on him. It was all anxiety based, but that wasn't an excuse.

    "Because you're my sister. And clearly something is up. You two have been weird since we left the cabin." Jake answered, not batting an eye at her attitude. He seemed pretty intent on getting to the bottom of it. Haley moved to open her car door but he closed it.

    "Move." Haley told him, but he didn't budge. "You don't have to stand here and pretend to care about my relationship."

    "I'm wounded you think that lowly of me." Jake responded. They both knew that wasn't out of line to think, but Haley even knew he had been trying. She sighed after a moment.

    "I'm sorry. That was a low blow." Haley apologized. She hesitated, trying to decide if she wanted to tell him what was going on. After a moment, she decided to talk. They ended up opening the back of his Jeep, and sitting in the back part of it with the door open. Haley explained everything that had happened the night before they headed back from the trip, and today. Jake listened and not once made a snide remark.

    "Do you want to know what I think?" Jake asked, "Or I can stay out of it. Let you just vent." Haley was a little surprised he was offering options. Usually he just said whatever the hell he wanted.

    Haley nodded. "What you think." She finally answered.

    "I'm not invalidating your feelings, but I think you're making too big of a deal out of the conversation. It wasn't out of line to suggest, it's a legitimate option. It happens a lot, especially with civilian spouses." Jake began, "I just mean I wouldn't worry about that part. He made it very clear to me once that you are his future." He made a face that he couldn't seem to help. "It's just not the ideal way to get there. And I know you. You don't want that either. I read your middle school diaries about your "dream"wedding-"

    "Jake!" Haley exclaimed. She had no idea until this moment he had gone through them and that was almost fifteen years ago. If looks could kill, he'd be dead right there.

    "You had that stupid password journal that could easily be pried open. It never opened to just your voice." Jake answered as if that made it okay. It had been a purple 'GirlTech' Password Journal that was supposed to be voice activated but never really worked. That was the early 2000s for you.

    "My point is, I know that is how you wouldn't want it to be either. Especially if it isn't something you had been thinking about doing right now prior to all of this." Jake continued, though Haley was still fuming over the violation of her diaries. "I think all you can do is take what comes. As much as it pains me to admit, I believe things will be fine. Hard, but it'll work. Mom and Dad worked totally opposite schedules and they were okay. " He added.

    Their parents had both been surgeons and at one point, had completely opposite schedules. Haley remembered it being challenging but they made it work. Their interest in the Navy had come from their maternal grandfather, the majority of the family had gone into medicine. Their parents never tried to sway them in that direction, they'd supported them both. She realized she felt better than she had in a few days.

    "I think honestly I felt rejected and I know that's stupid." Haley admitted.

    "Trust me, that isn't the case." Jake said, seriously. Haley wondered why he seemed so certain of that but she didn't question it. Besides, she and Rooster had talked about it already. They were on the same page knowing what they wanted out of their future. Just this next part was a little uncertain, but the end goal was the same.

    "When did you get so wise?" Haley questioned.

    "I've always been wise, you're just now taking notice." Jake answered with a grin.

    Haley smiled a little and rolled her eyes. "Thanks. I feel better. Not so much like I want to disappear instead of dealing with whatever comes." She told him sincerely.

    "Anytime. I'll be sure to throw in some words of wisdom like this during my graduation speech for finishing first." Jake said as he grinned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.7K 1.4K 37
Jake 'Hangman' Seresin has been accepted into Top Gun, along with his twin sister. Naval Aviation comes easy for Hangman, what doesn't come easy is n...
26.9K 700 27
❝ π‹πˆπ“π“π‹π„ does he know . . . . . . 𝐒𝐇𝐄 thinks about him too ❞ IN WHICH Cassidy "Firestarter" Brooke...
111K 2.5K 22
Lt. Wren 'Atlas' Donahue is returning to Top Gun to train for an elite mission. Rivalries from her time at the academy and a certain distracting pilo...
164K 4.1K 86
Epilogue sequel to 'Back to You' Continuation of the events after 'Back to You', following Haley 'Hurricane' Seresin and Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw's...