Love or Duty

By Iamtreasuredd

When Flora, the only daughter of a prestigious ex-lawyer falls in love with the charming son of a renowned po... More

Independence day celebration
The Wests
The Fate of Treshland
Manipulation
Stuck in the mine
Lena's Show
Happy birthday Melvin
THE PROPOSAL
FRIENDS WE ARE
The viral video πŸŽ₯
KB NEWS @10
The masked party

The little betrayal

8 3 0
By Iamtreasuredd

                             FLORA'S POV
    Days after my dad made that shocking announcement, I tried to talk to both my parents to postpone it until I'm sure Jake is the right guy for me but they assured me that I could never find someone better than him and that they are very sure he's the right man for me. My dad had asked me to trust him and give Jake a chance. After much consideration, I decided to fulfill my duty as the only daughter of my parents by granting their wish. It was hard but I tried time and time to convince myself that Jake will make me happy. I thanked Melvin and asked him not to do anything anymore as I've agreed to get engaged to Jake.

    A week to the engagement, mum and Mina had taken me out for shopping. They were still buying gifts when I decided to take a break, I was on my way to the restroom when I bumped into Jake. 'Flora! What's up?' He asked surprised.
' 'I'm fine thanks.'
' 'I'm guessing you're taking a break off shopping yeah?'
'Yes..'
'Well..I am too,would you love to have ice cream with me?' He asked
'Sure.' I quickly texted Mina to inform her.

At the ice-cream café, we were having a good conversation when he asked if I feel the same way as he does. I told him I don't and to my surprise he wasn't offended, he thanked me for being honest before saying  ' most couples don't have mutual feelings before marriage here in Kempire. For example My mum didn't love my father before marriage and look, today their love for each other keep growing stronger.'  I only smiled to that but deep down in my heart, this ancient concept about marriage just don't sit well with me. We parted ways afterwards as I joined my mum in picking nice gift.

     Day after day, I silently prayed that this day won't come so fast as I buried myself in work day and night but it's here now and there's no escaping. I stood in front of the mirror for minutes looking at my adored body. From the make up to the accessories and to the outfits is just a complete work of art. A complete work of art that screams I'm ecstatic with a heart that's hurting because it yearns to love and be loved.

Mina came in to take me downstairs where all the guest are now present. As we joined them, Jake came close to stand by my side, he whispered 'you look gorgeous.' I smiled and looked away. Instead of butterflies in my stomach, I feel like roaches are crawling on the walls of my stomach. Soon the ceremony began. We exchanged rings, people cheered and congratulated me. There were lots of celebrations, dining  and of course a guest artist. Nigerian popular musician Davido. He was singing... 'love is sweet oo, when money enter love is sweeter' when Jake asked if I would love to join him on the dance floor, which I politely refused. Indeed it was a glorious day and all the guests had so much fun. It was announced at the ceremony that the wedding would take place the following month. Melvin didn't attend the ceremony and I can't help but wonder if he's okay.

After the ceremony was over, I called Melvin but his number wasn't going through. The next day, I overheard Mark's conversation with my dad. They needed two representatives from the mine to go on a business trip to Gowland. Gowland is a neighboring state, it's a 3 hours drive from Treshland.
'I will go' I said as I interrupted.
'Are you sure?, you've been so stressed out lately.' My dad said.
' It's fine dad, I'm the director remember...so I will have to go.'
'Okay dear. So will you join her on this trip?' My dad asked Mark.
' No, Melvin already agreed to go..I will inform him that Flora will be joining him right away. Flora your flight is 8am tomorrow so be prepared.' He said as he took his Leave.

I got to the airport before 8am the next morning. I've always wanted to visit Gowland but I haven't been able to due to my schedule. I promise myself that I would definitely tour the city once I finish my task. I was in the waiting area when I sighted Melvin, I waved at him so he could see me. On the plane, our seats were next to each other. I sat beside the window as the plane took off. He didn't say anything throughout the journey, I decided to maintain my silent too but changed my mind afterwards.
'Are you okay?' I asked
'Yes, I'm okay' he replied without looking my way.

' you were not at the engagement ceremony and I tried calling your line but it wasn't going through'

'I wanted to attend but I couldn't'
' Why?' I asked curiously
' Well, i had some urgent issues to attend to'
'Alright'
'Are you mad at me?' He asked now facing me.
'No...'

As the flight landed in Gowland, we head outside where a driver was already waiting for us.
'Welcome, I'm Sanni, I will be your driver throughout your stay.' He said politely. Mark really paid the right person for this job because I like him already. He helped me with my luggage when we got to the hotel we will be staying throughout our stay.
At the lobby, Melvin was checking in when one of the hotel workers approached me with a bouquet of flowers. 'That man over there asked me to give you' she said pointing to a man. I collected the flowers, it's my favorite so I tried to figure who he is but I could only see his back. He was on a call, I wonder if he's an old school friend. I left the lobby to find out who he is. He was walking away but I was bent on knowing who he is that I kept on following him. He turned at the end of a passage so I walked faster to catch up to him but by the time I took the turn, I could no longer see him, disappointed, I decided to head back to the lobby but I noticed an opened door, I peeped through and figured it's a cold room. I wonder why the hotel employee would leave their cold room opened. I reached the door but as I tried to shut it, I started wondering if the man I was following earlier entered the cold room. It doesn't make sense to me but what if he's in there and I shut the door, he could die. To clear my doubts, I entered the cold room and checked every corner but no one was there. I noticed there's one more corner to check but as I was about to go check it out, I was stopped by the 'what the hell are you doing in here' from Melvin.
'What are you doing here too?'
'I've been looking for you. Thank goodness that employee told me you head towards this direction.'
'It's a long story, I will explain after checking that corner' I said as I head towards the corner. 'I'm cold, let's leave' Melvin said as he held my arm.

As we head towards the exit, the craziest thing ever happened, someone shut the door from the outside.
'What's going on' Melvin yelled.
I banged the door for someone to open but no one came to our rescue. I explained everything to Melvin but he was angry at me. It's not my fault that we are trapped here so I don't get why he'd be angry rather than finding a solution to the situation at hand.
'I don't understand why you would think anyone would be in here..why didn't you just call one of the employees' he yelled at me.

'Stop yelling at me and think of a way we can get out of here' I said angrily.
He pulled out his phone and tried calling but the signal was bad so he was unable to place a call.

I started freezing 15mins later, I wished I had worn something thick. I looked at my body and noticed my nipples were sticking out seriously, I wrapped my arms around it. Melvin kept on banging the door until he got sick of it. I fell to the ground as I struggle to breathe normally. 'Are you okay?' He asked as he started removing his jacket. He made me wear the jacket to keep me warm. 'Try to cover your face with the jacket' he said worried.
He was also freezing to death but he gave me the only thing that could keep him warm. I watched as he rubbed his palm against each other. I stood up so I could resume banging the door, I started feeling dizzy but I still tried moving my feet. On my way to the door, I lose balance and fell to the ground as I struggle for breath.

*******************************
MELVIN'S POV

'Flora!!' I screamed as I watched her collapsed. I couldn't breathe properly as I was freezing too but there's no way I'd let her die. I removed my shirt and wrapped it around her, rubbed her palms but she wasn't responding. I bent over her to feel her breath and noticed that she wasn't breathing anymore. I held her chin up, took a breath then cover and seal her mouth with mine as I breathe into her mouth continuously until I started fading out. I heard the door opening but I couldn't move an inch as I lost consciousness.

I opened my eyes, slowly look to the left and noticed a drip, wires and to my right are sterilizers and blankets. I sat up to confirm I was in an hospital. Sanni came in and asked if I was doing okay. I had a lot of questions so I started by asking about Flora.. 'she's totally fine now..the doctors said it's all thanks to the CPR you gave her. She's still sleeping now' he said.
'Who found us?' I asked
'Well sir, Flora forgot her phone in the car so I went back to the lobby to ask for her room number so I could return it but then the receptionist told me the both of you haven't moved in yet. I saw the luggage you both brought in still at the lobby, I thought you were checking the surroundings out so I waited. After a while, I decided to ask if anyone had seen either one of you until I was told by an employee that you were seen going towards the cold room area. I went to the cold room and saw you through the glass on the door. I quickly went to get help but by the time we got there erhhh...' he trailed off..

'What happened by the time you got there?'

'Sir, you fell unconscious on Flora..I suppose it happened during the resuscitation process' he said.

'I was on her?' I asked as I tried to recall the incident.

'There's no need to think too much sir, you saved her life and that's all that matters'

I guess he's right. I checked the time, it was 10pm.
I was told that we would be discharged the next day so I took the doctor's advice to get a good sleep.

The next morning, we were both discharged from the hospital. She had a whole lot of questions but I assured her that I would explain everything once we are done sealing the deal we came here for.
We checked into our various rooms at the hotel, we were informed by the manager that the employee who accidentally looked us in the cold room has been fired.
We left for the meeting with our clients later that afternoon..after successfully sealing the deal, I called Mark to give him the good news. 'Good job..you both did well. Your flight is in two days so explore the Gowland' he said as he hung up.

On our way back to the hotel, Flora started bombarding me with her questions so I explained everything to her leaving out the resuscitation part.
'Is that all?'
'Yes' I lied.

****************************
FLORA'S POV

Ever since I woke up in the hospital, I've been having vague memories from the incident that took place in the cold room. I asked Melvin but he assured me he would tell me after our meeting with clients. When he finally told me everything that happened, I wasn't convinced that he's telling the whole story which was why when we got to the hotel, I allowed him go to his room before asked Sanni..
Sanni also told me the same thing Melvin said.
I asked him if that's all and noticed he was avoiding eye contact with me. 'Please tell me the truth.' I pleaded.

'Well, Sir Melvin asked me not to tell you but when we opened the cold room, he was lying on you without clothes on him. At first we thought you both were in the middle of something but we noticed he was just giving you CPR' he confessed.

'Thanks for clearing things up for me'

Angry I went to my room..I don't know if there's more to what Sanni told me but I was sure angry that Melvin kept it from me. I checked the time..it was 7pm, I couldn't calm down so I head to Melvin's room to confront him.

I knocked on his door, he looked shocked seeing me as he opened the door. I moved pass him as I enter his room. 'What's the matter?' He asked as he shut the door.
'Why did you lie to me?' I yelled at him
'Keep it down Flora..I don't understand what you're saying'

'Oh really! So you didn't leave anything out of your explanation?' I asked sarcastically.

'So I'm guessing you now know what I left out because Sanni told you'

'Yes, he did'
'Damn Sanni'

'What did you do to me?'
'What? You just said Sanni told you everything so why are you still asking?'

'Because Sanni was not there with us..he only said the part he saw. Did you try anything with me?' I guess that's not the right way I to ask that question.

'Excuse me!! You were dying and I gave you CPR, how in the world did I do something wrong?'

'I know you gave me CPR and I'm grateful to you for saving my life but...' I trailed off.

'But you think I took advantage of the situation right?' He said in an angry tone as he started moving closer to me. I kept walking backwards until I reached the wall, as he moved closer, I tried to push him but he held my arms and pinned it on the wall.

'Is that the kind of person you think I am?' He asked still angry.

'No' I said
'So then why are you investigating me?' He whispered in my ear. Oh my goodness! I wondered why he did that because now I wished I'm wearing a bra underneath my silk pajamas shirt. My nipples stood straight and I could feel goosebumps all over my body.

'I..' i trailed off again.
'You what?' He asked whispering into my ears again.
A moan escaped my lips as I replied'I just want to know what happened'...
No guy has ever come close to me the way Melvin was that night, I wanted to stop him but I couldn't.
'Then, I will show you exactly what happened that night. But you must not object' he whispered again. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach now.

'How?' I asked
'Just promise you won't stop me or object'
'I promise' i said and he immediately freed my arms.

He moved two inches away then remove his shirt,my heart skipped a beat once again as though I had never seen his abs before. He came closer again and wrapped his shirt on me and accidentally his hand stroke my nipples. I tried to push him but he pinned my arms again as he whispered 'we haven't gotten to the main part yet and you're already getting tensed?'
I moan again as he looked me in the eyes and said 'you asked for this..don't forget'
Next he gently cover my mouth with his and remained like that for some seconds.When he removed his mouth, he whispered 'that's all that happened..I would never take advantage of anyone.' He said with a hurt expression on his face.
I guess I accused him wrongly, he saved my life and instead of being grateful I am accusing him. I felt bad for him so I asked 'what can I do to make up for my mistake?'

He laughed before responding with 'you won't do it if I tell you'
'Try me' I dared him.
'Instead of a CPR, I want to kiss you' he said looking at me intensely.
'I'm sorry but I can't allow that'
'But do you want it?, you can't allow it but if we are to be honest with each other, we both want to be in each other's arms tonight.' He said casting his eyes on my aroused nipples.

'I don't want to be in your arms and I can't let you kiss me because...'

'Because it will be your first' He said while smiling which made me angry. I removed his shirt from my body and threw it at him as I head towards the exit but he dragged me back to the wall and apologized.

'You said you would do anything to make up for your mistake but you couldn't keep your word' he said as he drew me closer to himself, this time holding my waist. I so much wanted to slap him back to his senses but my body wants the opposite.I could feel my heart racing so fast 'I never said I would do anything...' I trailed off as he kissed my neck. 'You were saying'
That was the perfect chance to stop him but to my surprise I moan as I whispered 'nothing just do as you please to me'

That was it he pulled me more closer and grabbed my waist. He pressed his lips lightly on mine as he started kissing me gently and slowly, I moaned again and again as he bite my lips. From slow to an even faster kiss. I was in a completely different world, I have never allowed anyone come close to kissing me before but here I am with a man in his hotel room.
The ringing tone from my phone brought me back to my senses.. I checked the caller, it was Jake. 'Perfect timing' I hissed. The time was 9pm. I didn't pick it at first but when he called again, I decided to pick it.
'Hi Jake' I sounded sleepy.
'I'm sorry to disturb your sleep..I just finished listening to my mentor's speech. He said it's important for a man to always appreciate the woman in his life. I just want to say thank you for being the best fiancée in the world. Good night.'
'Good night' I replied as he hung up.
I left Melvin's room in a rush. He tried stopping me but I ran. In my room, I stretched my fingers and looked at the engagement ring on my finger. I cried at the thought that I just cheated on Jake. Although Melvin and I only kissed, I still felt like I've wronged Jake. Though it was just a little  kiss, I still felt it was a form of betrayal on my path.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 528 10
𝘈 π˜—π˜Άπ˜΄π˜΄ π˜ͺ𝘯 π˜‰π˜°π˜°π˜΅π˜΄: π˜›π˜©π˜¦ π˜“π˜’π˜΄π˜΅ 𝘞π˜ͺ𝘴𝘩 𝘧𝘒𝘯𝘧π˜ͺ𝘀𝘡π˜ͺ𝘰𝘯 [Completed] ➝ You, aka [Name], were the daughter of one of the twelve danc...
50.9K 2.2K 52
You are never too perfect for anyone! 'Damn! Those rare shades of green with hazel brown near the pupil, Stone's eyes. She still has a tendency afte...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
24.2M 848K 81
The Highest Ranking: #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Feb-18 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Jan-17 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 21...