1983 || Stranger Things

By grace_grace446

a kicked out twin, an unsuspecting family, a small town in Indiana where nothing bad ever happens. except eve... More

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀs
ᴍɪxᴛᴀᴘᴇ
ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ
ᴏɴᴇ | ʜᴀᴡᴋɪɴs ᴛᴜʀɴᴇᴅ ᴜᴘsɪᴅᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ
ᴛᴡᴏ | ʟᴏsᴛ
ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ | ʜᴏᴘᴘᴇʀ's ᴄᴏɴᴄʟᴜsɪᴏɴ
ғᴏᴜʀ | ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴀʟᴋᴇʀ
ғɪᴠᴇ | sᴏ ᴡʀᴏɴɢ
sɪx | sɪʙʟɪɴɢ ʙᴏɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ
sᴇᴠᴇɴ | ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴀʀs
ᴇɪɢʜᴛ | ᴛʜᴇ ғᴜɴᴇʀᴀʟ
ɴɪɴᴇ | ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ
ᴛᴇɴ | ᴍɪʀʀᴏʀ ᴍɪʀʀᴏʀ
ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ | sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛs ʀᴇᴠᴇᴀʟᴇᴅ
ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ | ᴛʀᴜsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ sᴀʟᴛᴇᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ | ᴛʜᴇ ᴜᴘsɪᴅᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ
ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ | ᴀ ɴᴏᴛ sᴏ ᴊᴏʟʟʏ ᴄʜʀɪsᴛᴍᴀs
ᴀᴄᴛ ᴛᴡᴏ
ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ | ᴛᴡɪɴ-ɪɴɢ ɪᴛ
sɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ | ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇᴍᴀᴋᴇʀ
sᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ | sᴜɴ ᴋɪssᴇᴅ ɢɪʀʟ
ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ | ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴏᴀᴅ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ
ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ | ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡ ᴋɪᴅs ɪɴ ᴛᴏᴡɴ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ | ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀʀᴛʏ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ | ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴏᴠᴇ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ | ғʟɪʀᴛɪɴɢ?
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ | ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ᴘʀᴀɴᴋ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ғᴏᴜʀ | ɪᴛ's ғᴀʙᴇʀɢᴇ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ғɪᴠᴇ | ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀɴsʜᴇᴇ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-sɪx | ɴᴇᴡᴛᴏɴ's ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ʟᴀᴡ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-sᴇᴠᴇɴ | ɪ'ᴍ sᴏʀʀʏ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴇɪɢʜᴛ | ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀɴsʜᴇᴇ, ᴘᴛ. ᴛᴡᴏ
ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ɴɪɴᴇ | ɢᴇɴᴛʟᴇᴍᴀɴ ᴛᴀᴄᴛɪᴄs
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ | ᴛʜᴇ sɴᴏᴡ ʙᴀʟʟ
ᴀᴄᴛ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ | ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴛs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜғғ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ | ᴀɴɪᴍᴀʟ ᴋɪɴɢᴅᴏᴍ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ғᴏᴜʀ | ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ғɪᴠᴇ | ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-sɪx | ᴏᴠᴇʀʟᴏᴀᴅᴇᴅ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-sᴇᴠᴇɴ | ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀɪɴʏ ɴɪɢʜᴛ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴇɪɢʜᴛ | ʜᴇ's ʙᴀᴄᴋ
ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ɴɪɴᴇ | ᴊᴜʟsɪᴇ
ғᴏʀᴛʏ | ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴛᴇᴇɴᴀɢᴇʀs, ʏᴀʏ!
ғᴏʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ | ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴜᴛ-ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀ
ғᴏʀᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ | ᴛʜᴇ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ
ғᴏʀᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ | sᴇᴀʀᴄʜɪɴɢ
ғᴏᴜʀᴛʏ-ғᴏᴜʀ | ᴡʜᴏ's ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʟᴅᴇsᴛ?
ғᴏʀᴛʏ-ғɪᴠᴇ | ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴜssɪᴀɴs!
ғᴏʀᴛʏ-sɪx | ɪ ᴅɪᴅ ɪᴛ

ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ | ᴀ ᴠᴇʀʏ ᴊᴏʟʟʏ ᴄʜʀɪsᴛᴍᴀs

2.4K 59 10
By grace_grace446

𝑀𝑜𝑛𝑑𝑎𝑦 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔, 𝐷𝑒𝑐𝑒𝑚𝑏𝑒𝑟 24, 1984

      It was Christmas Eve. For some reason, Julie really did not like Christmas. She never really got many presents, and her dad never did anything special for it. This being her first Christmas with a boyfriend didn't change that.

      Steve enjoyed Christmas. He had money with a stable household, so he got presents every year. This was his first Christmas with Julie, and he wanted it to be special.

      Julie was a free agent on Christmas Eve. On Christmas day, Susan was forcing everyone to have dinner, and Max was a fan of the holiday. Even if Julie hated it, she wasn't going to ruin it for her sister. Julie was also planning on hanging out with Nancy in the afternoon. She was going over to Hopper and El's, or Jane's cabin for breakfast the day after Christmas, and Joyce's house for dinner that same day.

      For Christmas Eve, however, she was spending the day with Steve. He had promised to teach her how to drive, and he figured this was the best day to do it. They were going to rent a movie after their excursion, and were going to hang out at Steve's house to watch said movie.

      Steve was picking Julie up at twelve, so the girl was sitting on the steps in the cold Hawkins winter, wrapping her coat tighter around her frame. There was some snow on the ground from previous days, but it wasn't snowing today. Either way, Julie had her hair in two braids with a beanie on her head. In one of her jacket pockets was her walkman and headphones with some mixtapes, and in the other was a wrapped present for Steve.

      At that moment, Steve pulled up on the side of the road, honking the horn. Julie stood up practically skipped down the steps to the car. When she got there, Steve was walking behind the car to the side Julie normally sat in.

      "What's up?" Julie asked when she got to him, eyeing his position by his car.

      Steve kissed Julie quickly, pulling back with a smile on his face. "Hi."

      "Hi. Aren't you driving?" the girl asked, confusion evident on her cold face.

      Steve smirked. "Nope. You are." Julie was flabbergasted, and Steve was amused at her reaction.

      "What?" Julie asked. "I thought you were teaching me,"

      "This is teaching you. Pull into the road and drive," Steve instructed, reaching his arms out to grab Julie, gently moved her over to the driver's side. "I believe in you." Steve said opening the driver's side door for his girlfriend.

      "That's great, but I don't want to kill us. We've established that I cannot drive." Julie said with her hands on her boyfriend's arms, preventing him from pushing her into the car.

      Steve rolled his eyes. "I'm gonna help you. Get in the car, please."

      Julie sighed, giving up and sitting in the driver's seat. She put her seatbelt on and waited for Steve to join her. Once they were set, Julie turned the ignition on and put the car in 'drive'. "Look at that. You got the first step down." Steve commented, earning an annoyed scoff from his girlfriend.

     "I don't like this," Julie muttered, driving down the road. "It feels weird."

      "It looks hot." Steve said, a large smile on his face, knowing he was getting under Julie's skin. He took pleasure in it.

      Julie removed her right hand from the steering wheel and blindly smacked Steve, her hand landing on his chest. "Shut up," the girl rolled her eyes and focused on driving. "Where am I going?"

      Steve thought for a second, looking out the window as he did so. "Go to the quarry. I'll teach you how to park, do a three point turn, and then you'll drive us to the video store." Steve answered, gaining a nod from Julie.

      All was well, until Julie had a terrifying revelation. "Wait! Don't I need a permit to drive?" she asked, stopping the car abruptly in the middle of the road.

      Steve got thrown forward by Julie's stop, but the little jostle didn't give him an answer to Julie's question. "Uh, just drive cautiously and not like you did that night your brother tried to kill me, and you'll be fine. Besides, is Hopper really going to pull you over? And, don't do what you just did." Steve was proud of himself for the point he brought up, grinning widely.

      "If you say so." Julie said quietly. She started the car again, and drove down to the quarry. She did as Steve said, and it turned out that she wasn't terrible at parking. She was pretty bad at three point turns. Once she had completed her driving task, Steve took over the wheel and drove them back into town to the video store.

       They pulled up to the video store and left the warm car, walking inside hand in hand. During the drive,  Julie and Steve had a pretty intense arguement about what movie to pick up. Julie wanted an older movie, and Steve wanted a newer one. Their problem still wasn't solved, but Steve wanted to hold Julie's hand to keep her warm.

      Steve and Julie had agreed to split up and meet back up once they had each selected a movie. Julie went to the 'Rom-Com' section, her eyes landing on Grease. Julie loved the movie partly because it was set in the 50s, and also because John Travolta was in it.

      Steve poked his head around the corner, nodding his head when he found his girlfriend, looking at a movie. "Hey. Let's pick." he said, holding his own selection behind his back.

      Julie nodded, and shoved her selection behind her back. "One," she started the count. This was regular for Steve and Julie. They would each pick their movie and on the count of three they would reveal it.

      "Two." Steve added on, winking at Julie, who rolled her eyes.

      "Three." Julie and Steve brought their movies from behind their backs, the both of them groaning when they saw what the other picked. "Absolutely not."

      Steve dropped his head and ran a hand through his hair. "Not happening."

      "You picked The Terminator?! Seriously?" Julie asked Steve, appalled by his choice.

      "Oh, you're one to talk, little miss 'I-love-John-Travolta-and-shit'." Steve retorted, making his voice higher for dramatic effect.

      "What's wrong with John Travolta? He's hot as fuck!" Julie gaped, her hands moving at rapid speeds.

      "Hotter than me?" Steve asked.

      "I feel obligated to say no, but I can't. Sorry." she shrugged, frowning at her boyfriend.

      "That's hurtful. We're watching The Terminator now, so thanks for sealing your fate." Steve took Grease from Julie's hand and was about to put it back, when she lunged at him.

      "No, no, wait. You'll like Grease. There's some hot girls in it..." Julie trailed off, a knowing smirk on her face. Steve contemplated what Julie said for a moment, before he came to a decision.

      "Fine, fine. We'll watch my movie, and then yours. Deal?" Steve compromised, reluctantly handing Julie's movie back to her. "What time do you have to be home?"

      "Five." Julie answered, walking with Steve to the register.

      Steve nodded. "Good."

       As they rented the movies, an important thought popped into Julie's head. "Are your parents gonna be home?" Julie still had not met Steve's parents, and Steve hadn't met Julie's. The Harrington's and Julie's mixed family were pretty busy during the holidays, so there wasn't a good time.

      Steve shook his head. "They're coming home tonight, but not while you're gonna be there. Why, are you nervous?" The pair had begun walking out of the video store into the chilly air, causing Steve to hand Julie the movies so he could wrap his arm around her.

      "I'm not nervous," Julie chuckled. "I just like to be aware of their arrival so I can prepare." Julie looked up at Steve, his gaze not on her.

      Steve furrowed his brows, looking down at Julie as they approached the car. "So, you're nervous."

      Julie lightly hit Steve, her face tinted red in embarrassment. The couple arrived at Steve's BMW. Julie took her spot in the passenger side after Steve opened the door for her, waiting as Steve walked across to the other side.

      The new-ish couple drove back to Steve's house with Prince's I Would Die 4 U playing on the radio. Julie loved that song, and since she heard it the day it was released, it had bumped Rock You Like a Hurricane out of her top two favorite songs. Another One Bites The Dust was still number one.

      Julie was singing along to Prince's voice and Steve was laughing at her vocals. The song ended just in time for Steve to pull into his driveway, seeing a strange sight. His parents were home early. "Who's cars are those?" Julie asked, turning the radio down and looking at her boyfriend.

      Steve bit his lip and ran a hand through his hair. "My parents," he revealed, Julie's eyes going wide.

      "Your parents?" Julie verified. Steve nodded, his hand still in his brown locks.

      "I'm sorry, J. I didn't know they'd be here." Steve apologized frantically, leaning his head on the steering wheel.

      Julie awkwardly extended her hand and placed it on Steve's back, rubbing it sympathetically. "It's okay. Look, it's okay. It's not a big deal. We'll go in, say hi to your parents, and then we'll watch our movies. Easy."

      Steve lifted his head and turned to Julie, holding the hand that was on his back in his hand. "You don't get it, Jules. My dad's an asshole. I mean, my mom's great, but she's pretty judgy." Julie knew that Steve was just trying to tell her what to expect, but she couldn't help but be offended. Was he insinuating that she was something to be judged?"

      "What does she judge people about?" Julie asked, biting the side of her tongue and tilting her head.

      Steve furrowed his brows. "Uh, people that aren't rich, or that have multiple children. She really hates that. People who have weird hair, or piercings, or second hand clothes. Mainly blondes, but she doesn't like some red heads." as Steve spoke, Julie felt like he was untinentially describing her to a t.

      "Steve, you literally just described me."

      "What? No, I didn't." Steve said, shaking his head.

      "I'm not rich, I have two siblings. I have curly hair, and my ears are pierced, plus I wear old clothes and I'm a blonde. That is me. You are setting me up to be ridiculed, so thank you." Julie scoffed at the end of her statement. Every word was true, and every word made Steve realize how right she was.

      "Jul--" Steve started, but Julie was already out of the car and walking to the front door. "Come on, Jules." he tried, getting out of the car and following his girlfriend.

      "Dude, let's just go and talk to your parents, all right?" she turned around, walking backwards. "Let's go, haul ass."

      Steve took a deep breath and followed Julie to his front door, opening it for her. The two of them walked in and took off their coats and boots. Julie took off her beanie and smoothed the top of her hair out. "Ma? Dad?" Steve called, walking deeper into the house. Julie started to follow him, but was distracted by all of the Christmas decorations. It looked like a friggin' winter wonderland in the Harrington household.

     "Steve? I didn't think you'd be home this early." Julie heard a female voice from the kitchen, and Julie assumed it was Mrs. Harrington. She picked her feet up and quickly followed Steve, being right behind him as he entered the kitchen. "Who is this?" the same female voice asked from the kitchen table, sitting across from a man.

      Steve glanced at Julie, who was looking down at her black jeans, fidgeting with her necklace. "Mom, Dad, this is Julie. My girlfriend." Steve introduced Julie, who looked up from her pants to give the Harrington's a small, nervous wave.

      "Hi." she peeped, a nervous smile on her pale face.

      "This is your girlfriend?" Steve's father asked, standing up from the table.

      Steve nodded, grabbing Julie's hand discreetly behind his back. "Yeah. We've been dating for a month, but she's always been busy with her family when you guys were home."

      "Her family? What's your last name, honey?" Mrs. Harrington asked, smiling sweetly.

      Julie's eyes grew wide at being asked a direct question. "Uh, Hargrove. Ma'am."

      "Hargrove? You're the family that just moved in on Cherry Lane? Neil and Susan?" Mrs. Harrington asked again, glancing at her husband.

      Julie nodded. Mr. Harrington walked closer to his son and Julie. "Hargrove." he repeated. Steve and Julie nodded. "I've heard rumors about their son, Billy. He's got a bad reputation. Who's to say you're not as much as a slut as he is considered?"

      "Dad." Steve said quickly, stepping in front of Julie.

      Julie gently moved Steve to the side, revealing herself completely. "There's no reason as to why I wouldn't be different from my brother, sir. Don't take my word for it. You probably give a woman no credit anyway, so why should I bother?" she said, smiling sickly sweet. "It was great to meet you both. Steve, I will be upstairs."

      With that, Julie turned and walked up the stairs, straight to Steve's room. Julie set the movie up with the small tv in Steve's room, laying on his bed once it was done and ready. A few moments later, Steve walked in the door, and jumped on the bed next to Julie, swinging an arm around her as she giggled. "How'd it go down there?" she asked, rolling over and putting her elbows on Steve's chest.

      "They don't like you, but they respect you." Steve answered, his hand on her back moving upwards to play with the ends of her hair.

      Julie nodded. "Hmm. Sometimes it's better that way."

      Steve chuckled and shoved Julie's elbows off of him, upsetting her as she was comfortable. In retaliation, Julie pushed his head away, Steve doing the same back to her. For a few gentle minutes, it was just the sounds of Julie's giggles, and Steve's laugh as they wrestled, until Steve called a truce. Julie agreed to his call for neutrality, turning on The Terminator and settling her head on Steve's upper chest while he covered them with a cozy blanket.

      The movie had been playing for a few minutes when Julie remembered Steve's Christmas gift. She jumped out from under the blanket and Steve's warmth, rushing down the stairs and to the coatrack without even answering Steve's questions. Julie grabbed his gift from her coat pocket and ran back upstairs, leaping onto the bed, sitting with her legs crossed, facing Steve from her previous spot.

      "Merry Christmas." Julie said with a smile, revealing the wrapped gift from behind her back.

      Steve was shocked. He had not expected a present from her then and there. "Are you serious?" he asked, taking the gift from her and eyeing her curiously.

      Julie nodded. "I got it last week. Open it!" she begged.

      Steve did as he was told, and unwrapped the gift quickly. After he removed the wallpaper, he was left with a small box. "Are you proposing?" Steve teased.

      Julie shook her head, her smile seeming to be permanent on her face. Steve opened the box and his face turned into a look of shock, and amazement. Julie had gotten him a small book that she made herself, that she called "Read When You Need a Little Bit of Me :)". The idea of the book was that each page was filled in and labeled, so if Steve was having a bad day, he could read what was on that page to feel better. Julie had written it all, and had Max help her decorate it. Hidden under the book in the box was a small canister of Farrah Fawcett spray.

      "This is amazing. Did you make this?" Steve asked, flipping through the book.

      Julie nodded. "Max helped, but yeah. I didn't quite know what to get you, and you've always talked about loving intimate presents, so..."

      "It's perfect. You're perfect. You got me Farrah, this is the best gift ever." Steve said excitedly, giving Julie a quick appreciation kiss.

      "I'm glad you like it." Julie said, smiling.

      Steve looked through the book for another minute, before he abruptly flipped it shut and turned to his nightstand, pulling open a drawer and closing it just as quick. He tossed a large box into Julie's lap. "Merry Christmas, you scrooge."

     "You got me a present?" Julie gasped, picking up the gift.

      Steve nodded. "It can also be an apology for my parents. Hurry and open it!"

      Julie giggled and quickly opened the box, gasping when she saw what was inside. Queen's Greatest Hits on vinyl. The one thing Julie had wanted for years, but had never been able to find it. "I cannot believe this. How did you find this?" Julie asked, running her hand over Freddie Mercury's face.

      Steve just winked. "There's more." he pointed to a tiny box under where the record was.

      Julie placed the record beside her on the bed and picked up the small box, opening it to reveal a gold necklace with a gold crown. Julie took the necklace I'm her hand, running a finger over it.

      "You love Queen, and you're my Queen, so I figured this was fitting." Steve said sheepishly.

      "It's perfect. Put it on for me?" Steve sat up and brushed Julie's hair out of the way clipping the necklace on her neck. When he was finished, he ran his fingers over the jewel, his other hand encasing Julie's.

      "Merry Christmas." Steve said, his eyes sparkling with contentment as he looked into Julie's green eyes.

      "Merry Christmas." Julie answered,  pulling Steve into a deep kiss.

      The couple broke apart and smiled at each other, before putting their gifts away and coming back to their previous situation, with Julie on Steve's chest, as the watched their movie while snow started to fall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

779 4 96
Billy Hargrove x Character After moving to Hawkins from California as a kid with your dad to get away from the past, a new family moves in across th...
1.4K 134 52
In 1980s Indiana, Judy Hopper and her group of young friends witness supernatural forces and secret government exploits. As they search for answers...
819 20 14
Jillian Byers was (similar to her twin) an outcast. She didn't have many friends and actually cared about grades, unlike any of the other girls in he...
3K 181 50
{ Completed until Season 5} Originally written on AO3 tells the story of Madison Mayfield. The Mayfield siblings have always stuck together,they live...