ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ | ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀʀᴛʏ

Monday and Tuesday had gone by agonizingly slow for Julie. Her and her siblings had fallen into sort of a system, that worked rather well. Julie had gotten Billy and Max the books and materials they needed, Billy was taking over the school, and Max was awfully quiet, making Julie nervous for her.

      By the time Wednesday afternoon rolled around, Billy was absolutely miserable. It was Halloween, and Billy was planning on going to Tina's party to stir up trouble. Julie was taking Holly trick-or-treating. Julie hoped that Max would go trick-or-treating with the boys, as she had explained to her that they had been stalking her.

      At this moment, Billy and Julie were waiting outside of the Camero for Max to show up so they could go home. Julie was leaning against the car, her bag on top of it. "I'm leaving." Billy said out of the blue standing up off of the trunk.

      Julie didn't even look over at him. "No, you're not. Give her a minute." she said, and Billy inhaled deeply, but sat back down.

      Julie heard Max's skateboard roll up, and she removed her body from the car to smile at Max. Max didn't acknowledge her.

      "You're late again." Billy said, and Julie took a deep breath.

      "Yeah, I had to get catch-up homework." Max defended, moving to get in the backseat.

      "Jesus. I don't care."

      "Knock it off." Julie said to her brother, grabbing her bag and opening the passenger door.

      "You're late again, and you're skating home. Do you hear me?" he said, climbing off of the trunk and walking to the driver's side.

      Billy sped the car down the road as per usual, while he complained about everything. "God, this place is such a shithole." he said.

      "It's not that bad." Max said from the backseat.

      "No?" he said, looking in the rear-view mirror at Max, before he rolled the windows down on Julie and Max's side. He inhaled deeply, and Julie had the urge to throw herself out of the car. "Mmm! You smell that, Max? That's actually shit. Cow shit."

      "Grow up, Billy. There are no cows." she said while rolling the windows up for her and Max.

      "I don't see any cows." Max said, passing Julie a piece of paper.

      "Clearly, you haven't met the high-school girls." Billy said.

      Julie rolled her eyes. He wasn't totally wrong. "Can you please shut up?" she asked him, but he did not shut up.

      Billy scoffed at Max. "So what, you like it here now?"

      "No." Max shook her head.

      "Then why are you defending it?"

      "I'm not." she said, looking at Billy through the mirror.

      "Sure sounds like it."

      "Billy, just stop. It's not that hard." Julie said, leaning her head against the closed window.

      "It's just we're stuck here, so..." Max trailed off.

      "Hmm." Billy looked at Max, before he glanced at his twin. "You're right. We're stuck here. And whose fault is that?" Billy and Max both thought it was Julie's fault, leaving her alone to fight for herself.

      "Will you get over it? It's on you." Julie whispered, but Billy heard it.

      "What'd you say?"