Of Monsters and Men- Tom Ridd...

By jade_diamond11

Animo Grindelwald has been raised for one purpose: to defeat her brother. After being sent hurtling through t... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
41
42
43
44
45
Epilogue
Author's Note

40

942 38 0
By jade_diamond11

Animo ducked into an alleyway, keeping her head held low as she turned towards Hogwarts. However, her precautions were unnecessary amongst the ravaged streets. Aurors bustled in every direction, attempting to put out the fires that raged within several of the shops, eating at the wooden baseboards and staining the stone black.

Yet, she could ascertain that the Ministry was on edge based on the guards stationed on every block, their bodies forming frozen silhouettes against the darkening sky. It wasn't until Animo was on the bridge leading back towards the castle that she allowed herself to break into a run. Her feet scrambled for purchase upon the rocks and sticks littering the path. The occasional scarf or mitten dotted the landscape, remnants from the students that had fled during the attack.

Reaching the courtyard, Animo veered towards the Headmaster's Office, her heart pounding in her chest while she pulled her robes over her injured arm. There was little else that she could do. And if Albus was anywhere to be found, it would be at Dippet's side.

"I WILL NOT BE DISSAUDED!"

Animo stiffened at the firm voice, recognizing no sympathy in the bass tones. A loud thud followed the outburst, sounding akin to someone slamming a fist upon wood.

To her relief, the gargoyle that typically guarded the office had stepped aside, its leaden expression seeming rather irritated at the chaos.

"Minister—"

"No," what could only be the Minister of Magic's voice returned, echoing down the stairwell. "Tear apart this castle if you must. If Grindelwald's sister is truly on these grounds, no one is safe."

"I assure you, she poses little danger." Albus's measured words made Animo's eyes prick with tears. Why was the professor defending her now, after so many months of silence?

A faint pause followed the professor's statement, although there was little doubt that the minister disregarded his words. Professor Dippet gave a nervous squeak.

"I'm afraid I am still rather at a loss of what is happening, Minister."

"We have apprehended one of Grindelwald's men," Spencer-Moon spat the name with a clear hatred. From what Animo had read in the papers, it contradicted the man's even nature. "He speaks of a sister of Grindelwald. Who strangely enough, resembles a student at your school."

There was a loud creak as someone in the room pushed back their chair, scraping the legs against the floor. "I assure you," Headmaster Dippet sounded rather frightened, his voice weak. "I had no inkling of her existence. Are you certain of this?" The doubt was clear in his tone. "To be truly related to Gellert, his sister would not be—"

"So young?"

A new voice entered the mix, cool and dry. "Which is why the Ministry believes that Gellert has begun to meddle with time."

"I do not believe he would be so foolish." For a second time, Animo felt a faint flare of hope at the firmness in Albus's statement.

"Once again, Dumbledore," the voice whom Animo could only assume was a head auror interjected. "What causes you to believe these things so strongly? Perhaps there is more to your connection with Grindelwald than you are willing to admit."

An uncomfortable silence followed the accusation.

"That's not what is most pressing," the minister redirected the conversation, his voice echoing more clearly down the steps as he paced towards the entrance. "The girl must be found immediately."

"And what do you plan on doing with her?"

Albus's question was stiff and Animo realized that the coy professor from the future had not yet developed. This Albus was still unsure of his decisions, hesitant of any sort of commitment. It would take decades to build his confidence.

"Where people of her kind belong," Spencer-Moon snapped, flinging open the door. Animo pressed herself against the wall, feeling the ridges of the stone bite into her seared flesh. "Azkaban."

A heavy weight sank into the pit of Animo's stomach. She had never seen the infamous prison, but the name itself had once been enough to make Albus go quiet. And she was certain that her poor attempts at a Patronus would be no defense against the Dementors.

If Albus were in her position, Animo knew he would have made an escape, disappeared off the face of the wizarding world to buy time to plan and reconvene. Yet she felt certain she could not afford such a diversion. Whatever Gellert was planning, he certainly wouldn't wait. It seemed as though the climax of the war loomed on the horizon, eager for a tipping point. If she were to make any difference, now was the time to act. No matter how the terror pulsed through her bloodstream.

Pushing herself up from the wall as the minister's shadow flickered across the stones in front of her, Animo stepped from behind the suit of armor.

"I'm the one you're looking for."

She barely had time to deflect the stunning jinx that hurtled her way, ducking beneath the light before holding up her hands in surrender.

"WAIT!"

Chest heaving, she gazed at the auror in front of her, whom she gathered was the unrecognizable voice in the office. His blonde hair was pulled back tightly into a bun that emphasized his brutish features. The disjointed angle of his nose spoke of seasons of battles and she tried not to linger on the muscled tone to his shoulders. If she hadn't known Hagrid, she would have wagered the man had giant blood.

"I'm not here to fight," she tossed her wand on the ground, feeling Albus's horrified stare beating heavily into her side.

"And you expect us to believe that?" the hulking auror spat, his wand raised fiercely at her chest. "On your knees."

Biting back a retort, Animo sank to the ground, her burned arm screaming with pain. She could feel her heartbeat pulsing beneath the blistered skin. The minister noticed her injury, his dark gaze narrowing.

"I'll call for the Dementors—"

Her heart seized. Animo pinned Albus with a desperate stare, but the older wizard wouldn't meet her eyes. He stood motionless to the left of the defensive group.

"Wait," Animo repeated dumbly, desperation making her fingers tremble. "I'm here to help you."

The auror let out a sharp bark, although his tone was humorless. Spencer-Moon simply observed the exchange with an unreadable expression.

"And what? You expect the Ministry to welcome you with open arms?" He prodded at Animo's bicep, where the Deathly Hallows was displayed beneath her tattered sleeve. "You even bear his mark."

"I have a map of Nurmengard."

Silence greeted her words. Animo could read Albus well enough to see the flicker of shock across his face. But of course, any emotion was gone before the others could detect it.

"I don't—"

"Enough, Worthington." Spencer-Moon held up a dark hand, his forehead wrinkling in thought as he silenced his auror. "And what would you want in exchange?"

"I will use the map to help you launch an attack directly again Grindelwald," Animo tried to keep her voice steady, her last name feeling strange on her tongue. Yet she assumed it would not gain her any favors to refer to her brother by his birth name. Her position was already tenuous enough. "I will aid you. In the meantime, I stay out of Azkaban. If I betray you, then put me behind bars."

A derisive snort was all Animo received in response.

"Sure," Worthington flashed her a fake grin. "And you'll just be a good girl and walk straight into your cell."

Animo schooled her expression to remain neutral, although her jaw was so tightly clenched that her teeth ground together. "Those are my terms." She hoped her voice sounded more authoritative than she felt. "If you don't agree, I will keep the map for myself."

"You—"

Spencer-Moon held out his arm, forcing Worthington back from where he was currently sputtering in Animo's face. The minister's dark eyes were difficult to decipher and Animo furtively looked for a semblance of sympathy. But what could she expect? Gellert had waged great violence against his people.

"Please, minister," this time, Animo didn't bother to hide the tremble in her voice. All her pride had seeped through her toes the instant she had faced Gellert. "I know all too well the suffering my brother brings."

The following silence was the loudest that she had ever endured, nearly a living thing as the weight of all that was unsaid crackled through the air.

At last, Spencer-Moon dipped his head. "I will agree to your terms." Animo's shoulders sank in relief and his brow sharpened. "However, Worthington will not leave your side. You will prepare to be escorted to one of the Ministry's holdings where we will form a plan and you will hand over the map. If you fail to produce it," his tone steeled, a biting sort of iron that made Animo's chest tighten, "I will have a dementor waiting to escort you to Azkaban."

Not trusting her voice, Animo simply dipped her head. The minister strode past her, the edges of his emerald robes fluttering on the ground while Worthington shot her a look of disgust. It was painfully clear that the auror held no fondness for their arrangement.

"Come on," the blonde man bit out, grabbing her elbow sharply. Animo inhaled a yelp of pain as his large fingers dug into the blistered flesh of her elbows, her eyes watering. She barely had time to sneak a glance at Albus, who was observing their exchange with an alarming despondency as though she were just another criminal to be taken away.

As they stepped in the corridor, Worthington pulled a thick piece of rope from inside one of his pockets, making Animo suspect that his coat bore some sort of extension charm.

"Picked this up from a cursebreaker in Egypt," Worthington ground out, tying her wrists together with harsh movements. Animo refused to flinch, even as her arm throbbed with agony. "You try to escape and this rope will sever your wrists off." His smirk was particularly nasty.

Swallowing, Animo tilted her head in acquiescence. "I need to gather a few things from my dormitory." The corridor remained thankfully empty, but Animo was sure that the Hogwarts students would begin to emerge from their common rooms. The last thing she wanted was their stares.

Worthington gave a sharp nod before pulling her down towards the dungeons, a chill draft tailing at their footsteps. Animo paused outside of the entrance, pretending to remember the password as she bought herself time to collect her courage. Perhaps Worthington would let her use a Disillusionment Charm to sneak in.

"Well, go on." Worthington seemed to sense her thoughts. "Your housemates deserve to know the snake they've been shacked up with." The irony of his words made the edges of the auror's lips curl.

Shooting him a disgusted look, Animo stepped away, tugging at her fingers in hopes of loosening the rope slightly. Instead, the coil seemed to curl tighter, cutting off the bloodflow. "Merlin," she whispered.

The stone wall sank back, revealing a silent common room. Perhaps it was the Slytherins' tendency for self-preservation, but in the face of danger most in her house shut down. There was no panic, no mass hysteria, but a sort of bated quiet. As if they were still long enough, the threat would disappear. Such was the case now.

A couple of second-year gossipers slouched against the back of one of the sofas, their hair windblown and their eyes vacant as they stared at the marble floor. Walburga and Lucretia murmured to each other sharply, their heads bent together so that was difficult to ascertain where one body ended and the other began. Eyeing them dubiously, Abraxas hovered to their right, looking as well-put as always. Yet there was a fearful glint in his silver gaze while he looked over his shoulder. He was searching for Tom.

Once again, Animo resisted the wave of guilt that gathered against her chest. Tom was alright. He had pulled through much worse.

"Annie!"

Alphard stood, drawing attention to where Animo lingered. Ordinarily, Animo would have been mortified at the number of eyes observing their exchange, but her relief at the boy's safety outweighed her fear. What was done was done. And her identity was soon to be exposed.

Behind him, Avril shifted in her chair, her amber gaze landing on where Animo's hands were looped together. A flash of concern flickered across her face.

"We were afraid that Grind—" Alphard broke off, his cheeks flushing in alarm as he too noticed Animo's bindings. "What happened?" His brow narrowed as it caught on her gaze. "Why are your eyes—" The Slytherin stepped back as realization began to dawn over his features.

"I don't have much time." Animo offered a meager smile, feeling as though she were being ripped in two. A deep hatred had begun to settle in the younger Black's gaze, hiding the betrayal burning in its depths.

With a shaky step, Animo swiveled towards the girl's dormitories. But a cold voice interrupted her exit.

"Who are you?"

The derision common in Walburga's tone was, for the moment, absent. Instead, the girl observed Animo with a sort of cautiousness with which one might regard a wild animal. Pieces of her updo hung in front of her forehead, which shone with beads of sweat. She had clearly been in Hogsmeade during the attack.

Animo puffed out a long sigh, her chapped lips burning with the rush of air. "Animo Grindelwald."

The room was silent and she rubbed at her aching wrists, desperate for a distraction. Social interactions had never been among her skills and she floundered for something to say. The sense of fear growing amongst the Slytherins was evident and Animo knew she was running out of time before it burst, inciting some sort of riot.

"I'm going to try and stop him."

She offered a last weak smile before tripping up the stairs, her movements slow with the exhaustion that was gradually settling into her limbs. Now that her departure was imminent, Animo felt a stab of loss for her home. Hogwarts, as much as it had been a prison in her younger years, was the only safety she had known.

Opening the door to her bedroom, Animo fumbled with the knob, barely able to turn the clasp with her bound wrists. She went straight to the trunk at the end of her bed and flicked her fingers. Thankfully, the top popped upon with her silent charm and Animo sank to her knees. A dry sob shook her shoulders as she was finally away from the accusatory stares. Could she really stop Gellert? After all this time, Animo wasn't sure if she could hurt her brother, even if she had the opportunity. He had protected her as a child, shielding her from the worst of the evil that befell them. Even if he had invited it to their doorstep.

With numb fingers, Animo curled her hand across the Time Turner that she had kept safely tucked away. The cool metal was a strange relief to her warm skin and the necklace seemed to hum, tempting her to spin the hatch. If she did, everything would fade away.

Animo allowed herself a brief moment to entertain the idea. Of falling back to a time when Gellert wasn't born. Before Voldemort became a household name. Before a small girl roamed the corridors of Hogwarts, aching for a friend.

Then, she stiffened her shoulders.

"Ignoseus Maxima"

A searing heat traveled across the gold surface, making the metal gleam with a brilliance that pierced her eyes. Then, the necklace crumbled, darkening into ash that fluttered between the crevices of her fingers. Animo closed her eyes. She remembered when she and her mother had used to wish on dandelions while perched on the back porch of their home. She blew sharply, spreading the remnants of the Time Turner about her carpet before standing shakily to her feet.

It was one less power for a dark wizard to get ahold of.

Returning down the staircase, Animo fixed her gaze on the exit, her steps sure and steady. To her surprise, Worthington waited at the edge of the stairs, his large arms crossed impatiently. Perhaps the auror cared a bit for her safety after all. Or at least what it meant for the wizarding world.

"Come on," he grunted stiffly, reaching once more for her elbow. Animo didn't resist, allowing him to guide her from the room. The silence was too much to bear.

They took a series of sharp turns, following a route through the corridors that made Animo's head spin. Worthington clearly wished to meet no one else on their departure to the Ministry safehouse.

"Worthington."

Albus's voice cut through the stone with ease and Animo spun around, her eyes widening. The professor stood at the end of the hall, his hands clasped casually behind his back. Worthington inhaled a sharp breath through his nose beside her.

"I really haven't the time, Dumbledore." The accusation in his tone was unmistakable as the man continued, "I'm actually trying to win a war."

The insult seemed to roll off Albus's shoulders, his expression unwavering. "And you really believe that allying with Gellert's sister is the way to do it?"

Animo struggled to keep the frown from sliding across her face. Was Albus attempting to work against her?

Baring his teeth, Worthington let go of his hold on her arm. "Unfortunately, the minister's opinion trumps mine—"

"I have a proposition." Albus lifted his chin, the determination sharpening his blue gaze. Animo hardly dared to breathe, feeling rather like a piece of unwanted cargo between the two men. "I am in need of Animo's help to locate her brother. Gellert will not return to Nurmengard after such a deliberative attack today. His next move will be soon, while the Ministry is still scrambling for a response."

"Cut the niceties," Worthington snapped. "What do you want?"

Albus dipped his head innocently. If Animo hadn't been so confused, she would have smiled. This was the Albus she knew. "An exchange. Animo will give you this map that she has created," Albus's sharp glance silenced her protests. Still, a creeping sense of dismay laced up Animo's chest. After all she had done, her plans were rapidly falling apart. "And I will take over custody of her."

To her shock, Worthington didn't immediately protest. Instead, he shifted to a more deliberative stance. "And how do I know you won't go traipsing into Grindelwald's arms?"

"There are many things the Ministry believes ill of me." Albus's tone was sharp as he met Worthington's challenge with an even stare. "Yet even you know that my allegiance lies with our people. That map—" he craned his neck towards Animo. "Will give you great gain. But the minister himself admits that there is only one who can stop Gellert."

A brief silence fell over the trio, blanketing them with relief. Animo's eyes pricked with tears. Albus had chosen a side. But a small, traitorous part of her shriveled in defeat. There was no saving her brother.

Worthington gave a stiff nod and Animo was sure the decision was killing the loyal man. Spencer-Moon would be furious. But she also knew the auror did not want her anywhere near their plans to storm Nurmengard.

"The map is in my pocket," she murmured, dipping her head towards her trousers as she fumbled for the parchment. With a few tugs, she managed to pry it from the sweat and blood-soaked layers of fabric. At her touch, the dark lines began to spiral across the paper, forming the edges of Gellert's fortress. Worthington inhaled sharply as she placed it in his hands.

The auror lifted his head, a faint crack in his cold disposition revealing a sort of uncertainty in his pale gaze. "Why are you doing this?"

Animo pursed her lips, knowing that he didn't mean the map. "Family does not triumph morals."

A particularly sharp blast of wind whistled through the corridor, shattering the tentative peace that had extended between the trio. Worthington cleared his throat.

"I hope to see you at the end of all this," he directed the sentiment to Albus with a curt nod before disappearing into the hillside beyond the castle.

Immediately, Albus sprung into action, grabbing Animo's elbow harshly as he pulled her towards a separate exit. This time, Animo couldn't help the cry of pain that burst from her mouth and the professor sent her an apologetic glance. Yet his pace did not slacken.

"Albus," Animo pleaded, desperate for some sort of understanding. "What—"

Albus pulled her to a halt, grabbing her shoulders. It felt as though his gaze were a living fire, burning into her with all its blue intensity. "I have a plan, but for now you must find somewhere to hide. The Ministry—"

"Hide?" Animo jerked herself back, no longer caring about the injury on her arm. Refusal set her brow firmly. "Albus, I have done plenty of hiding."

"And you must for a while more." Albus's expression dropped and his fear was suddenly evident, weighing down his shoulders. "I cannot do this without you."

His quiet admission humbled Animo's temper. Her posture sank in submission. "What do I need to do?"

"Leave. Go home."

Opening her mouth, Animo's words caught in her throat as she recognized the guilt lining Albus's forehead. "You mean.." she spluttered, her heart dropping into her chest. "Home?"

"It is unlikely Gellert will look for you there." The professor's eyes were dark as he nodded towards the Scottish highlands outside. "I know the place holds terrible memories for you both."

The image of her childhood home, the peeled baseboards and the broken windows hovered against the back of Animo's eyes, taunting her with a stab of pain. "Alright." She was surprised that she managed to stay so calm. It was as though she were standing in the center of a cyclone. Mass destruction waged around her but she was blissfully separate from it all. Until the storm bore down upon her shoulders.

"Head towards the train station," Albus dipped his head, seeming to also reign in his emotions. A few droplets of rain had begun to fall from the sky, softening the earth below their feet and mixing with the sweat dripping down Animo's cheeks. She was sure the burn on her arm was growing infected. "You will be able to apparate beyond the gate. I will provide a distraction for the remaining aurors."

Animo frowned. "Don't get yourself in trouble." She could only imagine what the man had up his sleeve.

A ghost of a smile brushed Albus's lips. It wasn't until that moment that Animo realized she hadn't seen him smile since arriving in the past. She hadn't thought she would miss the devious twinkle in his eye so much. "I simply wished to have a discussion about my extensive sock collection."

There was no goodbye between them as Animo stepped away. There were a thousand questions racing through her mind, but the strange sense of calm that had clung to her since her confrontation with the minister remained, numbing her panic. There were no words to share anyways. When they saw each other next, it would be to fight Gellert. What the world saw as victory would only spell pain for the pair who knew Gellert best.

Pushing her way through the undergrowth, Animo cradled her arm closer to her chest. The skin along her forearm was beginning to swell while the flesh above remained a charred black. She diverted her gaze, the blisters making her stomach turn. The edge of the Forbidden Forest was uncharacteristically silent, as though the creatures inside were mindful of Grindelwald's attack. The familiar branches were a welcome relief to Animo's rattled memory. It seemed the trees would change little in fifty years.

She crept into a jumbled bush, the sharp scent of pine stinging her nostrils as the gates that lead towards the train station appeared in sight. The stone barrier was nondescript, the rock holding it upright cracked and molded with age. Yet, it represented the division between the Muggle and wizarding world. Animo supposed most brilliant things were hidden in unassuming exteriors.

True to his word, Albus had somehow diverted the aurors and no one stood guard at the gate. Animo pushed upon the iron rungs, wincing as the metal hinges screeched. Perhaps she should have cast a muffling charm.

Despite the urgency pulsing through her veins, Animo turned around and stared at the silhouette of Hogwarts. She was not sure whether she would ever see it again. The castle towers cast a mournful shadow against the darkening sky, lonely amongst the fog that wrapped around their figures.

Suddenly, an arm curled around her waist and Animo let out a yelp, her arm relighting with pain as she felt the tip of a wand at her throat.

"Escaping so easily?"

The silky tone caressed her ear, soft and seductive despite their precarious position. Animo gritted her teeth.

"I have to leave, Tom."

She stumbled as the boy thrust her forward, away from his grasp. A piece of her ached for the comfort of his touch, but Animo steeled her heart against such desperation. Tom was no longer her priority.

"What, so you can defeat Grindelwald?" Tom's jaw clenched, accentuating his sharp features while he shot her a scathing look. "All your little hero stories make perfect sense now."

A flare of frustration clenched Animo's fists as she righted herself, leaning against the bark of a fallen tree. The rough edges cut into her bare skin that was exposed underneath the tatters of her cloak. "I don't think I'm a hero."

"Really?" Tom sneered, keeping his wand pointed at her chest. "I always wondered what the connection was between you and Dumbledore. Why you seemed so eager to buy his simpering lies. And now I realize it's because you play his games too."

The accusation was the first to sink into Animo's chest. She gritted her teeth, meeting Tom's pulsing gaze. His dark eyes were bitter and cold. The Slytherin must have seen some of the exchange between her and Albus. "I never tried to play games." But her protest rung hollow.

Tom laughed sardonically, seeming to sense her guilt. "Really? Talks of redemption are rich, coming from Grindelwald's sister."

"Then I should be the first to know about redemption!" Animo protested, lunging towards the gate. She was painfully aware of her lack of wand. And she doubted she could stroll up to the minister and ask it to be returned. "I wanted to help you."

"No." Tom's tone was like ice as they stared at one another, both refusing to blink. "You were trying to control me. Mold me into what Dumbledore wanted me to be."

Stammering, Animo floundered for a response as a stab of guilt sank into her chest. Although she did not want to admit it, part of the boy's accusations rang true. How much had she been attempting to manipulate Tom? To create the future that she thought was best?

As she failed to retaliate, a nasty smirk pressed over Tom's lips. "See, Grindelwald?" She hated the way the name sounded from his mouth. "There are no heroes. Only those who cover their sins with a golden cloak." He turned away, the shadows of the pines beside them dappling his shoulders. "At least I can admit who I am."

The sound of oncoming footsteps made Animo freeze, her heartrate spiking with terror as she recognized the shouts of the aurors. Neither she or Tom could be found here. Holding out her hand, Animo clenched her eyes shut briefly, praying that she wasn't too late. That she would have another chance. "Tom, please trust me." She implored him with a wide gaze, letting her mental defenses fall away so that he could read the honesty of her attentions. "One more time."

As the echoes of the aurors grew closer, Tom gritted his teeth, evidently having come to the same conclusion as she. If he was found here, it was likely the aurors would rope him as an accomplice to Animo's escape.

Without a word, Tom placed his hand in hers, although there was no affection in the gesture. Animo tried not to show the hurt she felt at his cold exterior while she turned on her heel. A small pop followed her apparition as she left Hogwarts, perhaps for the last time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

750K 17.7K 69
❌ This is my first work so I apologize for any inconsistencies and mistakes. I am also not touching this with a ten foot pole. It is an abomination s...
76.3K 1.6K 40
Draco Malfoy developed a crush on little miss perfect, Hermione Granger when he was 11. Things turn out well for the handsome Slytherin prince and th...
92.3K 4K 67
*Complete* Chapters 1-14: Gellert and Albus in 1899, two handsome, power hungry young adults planning to change the world...they were closer than br...
9.1K 415 45
EDITING IN PROGRESS. Underage magic, two dark spells, it won't be long before the ministry hunts her down. Hermione Granger, previously mudblood scum...