Back to You // Bradley Bradsh...

By winterharleys

Haley Seresin, callsign 'Hurricane', has made it to Top Gun finally, along side her brother Jake 'Hangman' Se... More

Cast List/Information
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Eight

7.8K 166 68
By winterharleys

    Top Gun seemed to be the most challenging in the end. Haley wasn't sure if that was the case or if it was only challenging when your personal life was tacked on top. Only a week had passed since the blow up. Haley still hadn't talked to Jake or Sabrina. They were both giving her space, they had stopped reaching out. She wasn't sure what had changed their minds. She felt about ready to sit down to talk with them. This week had been her hardest in the program so far, so her mind had been mostly on that. She felt physically and mentally exhausted.

    Haley did speak to Jake in class if she had to. She didn't want to drag their personal drama into work. That wasn't professional and she didn't want that interfering. She hadn't seen Sabrina since the week before at the house, but Jake was unavoidable. She did share with Rooster the news about Blaze's dad, but Maverick had talked to him. Mav was taking the news hard, Rooster had told her. Haley couldn't imagine. Her parents death had been sudden, there wasn't time to prepare. It was a different kind of grief when you knew it was coming. Neither was pleasant. Despite what was going on with his family, Blaze had been attentive in class. Haley had to admire that. They were determined to finish first in their class.

    Rooster and Haley were spending their Friday evening with Maverick and Penny. They were out on one of Penny's boats on the water. She had a sailboat, and then the boat they were on which was a cabin cruiser. Penny was piloting the boat, but not without making a joke about how the three of them were in the Navy but couldn't work a boat. They had found a place to park for a little while and enjoy the sun going down. Haley was sitting next to Rooster on the couch and he had his arm around her. She was leaned against him slightly.

    "How's the program going?" Maverick asked the two of them.

    "She's tied with Hangman for first and I'm second in the class. Only by a little," Rooster answered.

    "You're not that close behind." Haley corrected, "Don't get your hopes up, Bradshaw." She added. She knew she had this in the bag. She reached over and stole his sunglasses. She slipped them on and looked back at him.

    Rooster snorted. "Be sure you let them know when they go to engrave the trophy that there's two o's in Rooster." He told her, holding up two fingers.

    Maverick shook his head with a smile at that. "You remind me so much of your dad sometimes." Haley thought Maverick looked lost in the past for a moment.

    "He'd love your wardrobe." Penny added with a laugh. Haley knew she knew Rooster's dad too. Not as well as Maverick, but they had met back then. Haley understood the reference, she knew Rooster dressed similar to his dad. Not always but he did quite often.

    Rooster didn't say anything but Haley saw his mouth twitch into a faint smile. She wondered sometimes if it was hard for them to see each other. Maverick was a reminder to Rooster of what was lost, but for Maverick it was probably like looking into the past every time he saw Rooster.

    "How's Xavier doing?" Maverick asked, looking over at Haley.

    "I think he's threw himself into the work. He doesn't talk much about it. He acts like he's okay, but I know he isn't." Haley answered. She wasn't sure what else Blaze could be doing right now. She guessed he needed the distraction.

    "Some people cope with work I suppose," Maverick said, almost distantly. Haley had a feeling he had done that before himself. She thought a subject change was in order.

    "So Mav," Haley began and Rooster eyed her cautiously. "What embarrassing Bradley stories do you have?" She inquired.

    Penny grinned as she curled up next to Maverick. "Do enlighten us. I'm sure Bradley could share some about you too." She said.

    Both of the guys didn't look as amused as the two of them. Maverick looked over at Rooster as if he was trying to decide whether to feed into this challenge.

    "When he was six, he got very into NASA. He told his teacher in front of the entire class "I want to see 'your anus'. His mother almost died from embarrassment at that phone call." Maverick began.

    "Oh come on, every kid has made that mistake." Rooster argued after Haley and Penny burst into laughter. "They shouldn't have named a planet Uranus."

    "He had a Paddington Bear he slept with until 7th grade. The only reason he stopped was his mother gave it to me to dispose of." Maverick continued and Haley was laughing again. Rooster shot her a look then looked toward Maverick. "And that's where it went?" He added.

    "That's actually sweet." Haley told him, but was still laughing.

    "When Mav would come visit us, he'd take me out for ice cream. And use me to pick up women." Rooster announced. Penny looked at Maverick and Haley covered her mouth, laughing again.

    "You remember that?" Maverick asked, clearly amused.

    "I didn't realize at the time what was happening but I did by the time I was older." Rooster answered. "That's pretty low, Mav." He added. Haley didn't think he really cared, but was messing with Maverick.

    "Wow." Penny added, "Though I am not surprised. Sounds like a Pete Mitchell move."

    "You were cute, it drew women over." Maverick argued. "Not sure where the cuteness went, though." Rooster scowled in response.

    "I still think you're cute." Haley told Rooster, tapping his nose like a child. Rooster's Maverick story seemed to have backfired considering Maverick turned it around.

    "Just wait, if you have one. They're like magnets, even if you aren't seeking the attention." Maverick said, "I got a couple of dates, you got some ice cream. Win-win."

    "I'd claw their eyes out." Haley commented, meaning if a kid drew women to Rooster like magnets. Rooster started laughing, obviously knowing she was all bark and no bite.

    "That's my Haley. Tiny but fierce." Rooster teased, which caused everyone to laugh. She really was. He leaned over to kiss the top of her head then stole his sunglasses back from her. "Hey!" Haley protested but they were already back on his face.

    "Yes she is." Penny agreed, as she got up to go check on something with the boat controls. Maverick watched her as she left them. He turned back to Rooster and Haley.

    "Have either of you thought abut what you want to do after Top Gun?" Maverick inquired.

    Haley realized she and Rooster had only ever talked about that sparingly. Partially knowing they'd potentially be separated. They both knew they'd figure it out, neither wanted to hold the other back. She felt secure enough in their relationship that it'd work out one way or another, but it didn't mean she looked forward to time apart. The time in the program had been nice, and it allowed them to get where they wanted to be together.

    "I've considered maybe being an instructor," Haley answered. "Someone thinks I'm a little too hot headed for it." She said, glancing at Rooster. "But I think it would be interesting to teach. It depends what I am offered though." She knew Maverick had tried his hand at teaching and did not last long as a Top Gun instructor. There was also no guarantee she'd be offered a position either.

    "See what orders I land, probably." Rooster replied, "I've considered the instructor thing, but I don't know that I'd be good at it. Ultimately just keep flying I suppose, that's why we're here." He shrugged. "I'd like to move up in the ranks, I don't want to be a captain in my 50s." Haley knew the comment was a joke about Maverick remaining a captain after all this time.

    "You've got to make it to captain first, kid." Maverick pointed out with a grin.

Penny called Maverick back into the cabin. He raised his eyebrows at Rooster and Haley and disappeared to see what she needed. Haley turned to Rooster with a mischievous expression. He narrowed his eyes at her.

"Don't give me that look." Rooster told her.

"What look?" Haley replied as she sat up on the bench.

"The one that says you're up to something" Rooster answered, giving her a look now.

"Live a little." Haley pulled her sweatshirt over her head. She had a swimsuit on underneath her clothing. She thought Rooster's eyes were going to pop out of his head. She threw her sweatshirt at him and it hit him in the face.

"We're not-" Rooster began but Haley silenced him.

"What a filthy mind you have." Haley teased. She assumed he thought she wanted to have sex on the boat and that was not where she was going with this. She took her jeans off and climbed up on the bench. Rooster seemed to realize then what Haley was about to do. She jumped off the side of the boat and into the water before Rooster could stop her.

"Haley!" Rooster hissed and he peered over the side as she came up from under the water. Haley couldn't help but laugh, he was acting like she was doing something they shouldn't be. "It's November and you're in the ocean, get back on the boat." Haley thought he sounded a little worried.

"It's the Pacific Ocean, it isn't that cold." Haley told him. It was chilly but she wasn't worried about getting sick. She swam around a little next to where the boat was stopped. "You could come get me yourself." She challenged.

"Or I can leave you there to freeze to death." Rooster answered.

"Suit yourself, Bradshaw." Haley said with a shrug. "Your loss." She reached up like she was about to untie the top of her swimsuit. She was absolutely not doing that with Maverick and Penny feet away on the boat. But she wanted to see how far Rooster would let her take this charade.

A second later she heard a splash and Rooster was in the water with her. He was fully clothed which meant he didn't waste anytime. He swam to her so they were face to face.

"Wanted to see the show up close?" Haley asked, not bothering to hide her smirk.

"You look just like your brother when you make that face." Rooster told her. The remark was made knowing she wouldn't like the comparison and her expression disappeared instantly. This made him look smug now instead of her.

"Good, I'll remember to make that face when we're having sex." Haley responded and Rooster no longer looked amused. She splashed water his way and he returned it, but she ducked underwater to avoid it. Which did not make a lot of sense considering she got wet that way too. It was the principle of not letting him win.

"You are the most insane person I have ever met in my life." Rooster told Haley when she resurfaced. She felt his hands hook onto her waist, pulling her toward him in the water. She wrapped her legs around his waist and floated there effortlessly.

"I'd rather be insane and remembered than dull and forgotten." Haley answered with a shrug. "Wet t-shirt look suits you." She added, glancing down. He'd had on jeans and a white t-shirt, both of which were now soaked.

"I wouldn't have a wet t-shirt if you hadn't acted like you were going to strip down in the Pacific Ocean." Rooster commented and Haley just grinned.

"The poor sea creatures probably don't get much excitement. You ruined their evening." Haley joked and she got Rooster to crack a smile.

"Well, maybe I didn't want to share you with your little sea friends." Rooster shrugged.

Haley laughed and leaned forward to kiss him. She felt him deepen the kiss and his hands exploring her body under the water. She almost forgot where they were until a clear reminder hit. Right as she felt Rooster's hand start to inch under her swimsuit top while they were kissing.

"Care to re-join us?"

Haley and Rooster both looked as Maverick and Penny were standing at the side of the boat. Neither looked upset, more amused by catching the two of them. Haley let go of Rooster and lowered herself into the water. She'd had no shame a few minutes ago but did feel embarrassed now. Like she was a teenager caught by parents. "Oh, now you choose to be modest?" Rooster whispered to her. She could tell he found it funny that she was embarrassed. Haley mumbled a remark as she paddled away from him to the boat ladder and she could hear him laughing. She didn't care for having Maverick and Penny come up while he had his tongue in her mouth and hands in places that had been visible.

After getting back onto the boat and land once again, Haley and Rooster headed back to his place. They stayed up for a little while before going to bed. Haley found that she couldn't sleep that night. She knew Rooster was out, he hadn't moved at all. He had his arms wrapped around her. After a few minutes of contemplation, she shimmed out of his arms carefully not to wake him. She reached for her phone on the night stand to send a text.

Can we talk?

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Author Note
This update was a long one! And the next is too, so I hope everyone enjoys. A lot of content I didn't want to split up into a few chapters. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68K 1.3K 34
Eleanor Bradshaw was always seen as a ray of light to her mom and older brother following Goose's untimely death. She always connected instantly wit...
24.1K 435 12
Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw x OC Olivia Mitchell and Bradley Bradshaw grew up together. Her father, Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell pulled both of their pape...
64.9K 1K 16
Top Gun Stories and Imagines: Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw, Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Requests currently open for Top Gun and TGM.
44.3K 1.2K 74
Jake 'Hangman' Seresin was just accepted to Top Gun. Putting him finally into the Navy's Fighter Weapon School and close proximity of his childhood b...