Onward to the Past

נכתב על ידי TheGigawattGeek

Halli McFly is a try hard, from a whole family of try hards. Her father is a rock star, her grandfather is an... עוד

A Word From the Writer
Part 1 - 88 Miles Per Hour
Part 2 - Nostalgia Is My Weakness
Part 3 - Classic
Part 4 - Cyberbullies and Chickens
Part 5 - Jennifer's Story
Part 6 - The DeLorean
Part 7 - A Hundred Years in the Future
Part 8 - Punch It, Halli!
Part 9 - Return of the Space Men from Pluto
Part 10 - The Flight of Flann McFly
Part 11 - The Power of Love
Part 12 - Federal Temporal Displacement Control
Part 13 - What I Learned at the 7 - 11
Part 14 - I Hate Manuer
Part 15 - I Killed My Dad!
Part 16 - The Law of Destiny
Part 17 - Cracked
Part 18 - Mr. Sand Man
Part 19 - Time Tracked
Part 20 - I May Be Crazy
Part 21 - Committed
Part 22 - Mom...Mom...Momma Mia!

Part 23 - The M.A.R.T.I.

15 0 0
נכתב על ידי TheGigawattGeek

CUT TO:

INT. OUTSIDE JANITOR'S CLOSET

Halli and Tiff stand outside a janitor's closet door. Tiff bights her lip.

TIFF
I've never shown this to anyone before.

(deadly serious)

I need to know if I can trust you.

HALLI
Hold on a sec. We've just met, and you're wanting to confide your deepest secrets to me?

Tiff gives Halli a look of terrifying uncertainty, as though trying to make Halli give something away.

TIFF
Can I trust you?

HALLI
Yes.

TIFF opens the closet door with a CREAK into a pitch-black room. Then she pulls the light string in the center of the closet, lighting it up in a yellow haze. We see the entire room is covered in newspaper clippings and photographs connected with red string. Halli's mouth opens in awe as she looks around.

HALLI
Tiffany--what is this place?

Bright red letters painted on the newspaper near the ceiling read M.A.R.T.I. All of the newspapers have something to do with the McFlys, Doc Brown, the Tannens, DeLorean schematics (some with flying equipment drawn on the wheels with a sharpie), train engines, the Clock tower, or Chuck Berry. 2 old, flickering computers sit on various broken desks.

TIFF (cont)
The custodians don't use this room, so I stole it.

Halli becomes a little concerned as she eyes the suspicious papers.

HALLI
I guess I meant...what is all of...of this?

She points to the newspaper conspiracy. Tiff grins.

TIFF
Conspiracy theories are my guilty pleasure. I used to theorize about the Titanic and the Kenedy assassination, but then I found something crazier, right here in Hill Valley. And I think you might be able to help me prove it!

Tiff stands by the front wall with the painted letters.

TIFF (cont)

(professional)

Welcome to the M.A.R.T.I. Complex. Stands for McFly Attempts on Ruining Tannen Interests. The Marti for short.

(excited)

It all started when I was doing this family tree research paper when I was a Freshman. It turns out the Tannens have lived here in Hill Valley since 1850. My great-great-great grandfather was an outlaw called Mad Dog Tannen--

(points out an old picture on the wall)

--so obviously I started doing my research there. It took a while, but I finally got the full story. Turns out the marshall captured him with help from this guy named 'Clint Eastwood'. Weird, right?

HALLI

(concerned)

His name was actually Clint Eastwood?

TIFF
Well, that's what the records said. He was really young, but he died the next day in a train accident. I started researching him too--and that's when I found this!

Tiff shows Halli the iconic image of Doc and Marty by the clock. Halli blinks in shock.

TIFF (cont)

(excited, pointing to Marty)

Who does that look like?

HALLI

(awkwardly)

Um...

TIFF
It's the spitting image of Marty McFly! And look who's right beside him--tell me that's not Doc Brown!

HALLI

(carefully)

I guess that could be their ancestors--your great-great-grandfather has a strong resemblance to your dad...

TIFF
That's the thing--McFly had some ancestors around a this time, but they would have been older than that in 1885--

(follows a string to an immigration document)

--and Doc Brown's family didn't come to America until 1908.

HALLI

(uncomfortable)

What are you saying? That Doc and Marty are time travelers?

TIFF
That's not the only evidence I've got.

Tiff follows a red string from 1885 Marty to a fuzzy image of a person (we can't make out their face) playing the guitar behind his head at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance in 1955.

TIFF (cont)
Dad talks about this guy all the time back home. Apparently, in 1955, he invented skateboards and rock and roll in the same week. There he's playing 'Johnny B. Goode' 3 years before it was released. And get this--his name was Kalvin Kline. I wish I could have gotten a better picture of him, but this is the only one that exists.

HALLI
I know, Tiff--that's my dad. He's a rock and roll guitarist.

TIFF
And you don't think any of this is mildly suspicious?

HALLI
So maybe he was ahead of his time? It doesn't mean he's Marty McFly.

TIFF
I know it could all be a coincidence, but there's one thing that always gets me.

She follows another red string to a bright red dust cover of a SPORTS ALMANAC.

TIFF (cont)
Sometimes, when Dad comes home dr--

(stops, looks sideways at Halli)

--in...a bad mood, he talks about this old man who gave him a book--a book that told the future. Every outcome for every sporting event, from now 'till 2000. What I'd give for one of those...

(collects herself)

Anyway, the man told my dad that he should watch out for a kid and wild-eyed scientist.

Tiff follows another string to the first 1885 picture.

TIFF (cont)
A kid and a wild-eyed scientist...

(shakes her head)

Sure enough, Kalvin Kline stole the almanac from him. Now all we have left is the dust cover. Halli, I know it's crazy--but I think your dad and Doc Brown might be time travelers with a vendetta against my family...and now that they've turned up in 1985...

HALLI
You think he's here to ruin your life, too?

TIFF
Maybe. I don't know. Is there any way it might be true?

HALLI
Well, it's a cool theory. But I don't think Marty's got it in for you, even if he is a time-traveler. And I know my dad. He wouldn't want to hurt you.

TIFF

(sigh)

You're probably right. But... wouldn't it just be amazing? If there really was a time-machine? I could go back and fix everything. I wouldn't be working odd jobs and keeping Dad's business afloat--and Mom would still be here--and Dad wouldn't be--wouldn't be--

(fighting tears, angry)

HALLI
(comforting, putting an arm around Tiff)
Hey. We can't always rewrite the past, but our future? That's a different story. My dad says if you put your mind to it, you can do anything.

TIFF

(laughs)

If only everyone thought like you, Halli. People...well, there's a lot of rumors about my family--and I'm not saying most of them aren't true--but people don't trust me. I can't wait to get out of here and go somewhere nobody knows my name. Hopefully this will be my last year in Hill Valley. I got my acceptance letter from MIT last week, and they're offering me a pretty big scholarship. If I can win the Hill's scholarship tomorrow, plus my grants, plus the money I've saved...Halli, I'm going to be a computer engineer!

HALLI
Computer engineer? Tiff, that's fantastic! I'm so excited for you!

They walk OUT of the janitor's closet and into the HALL.

HALLI (cont)
I know what it's like, being unpopular and followed by rumors. But my mom always tells me you can't let the in-crowd tell you what you can be.

TIFF
(turns to face Halli)
You must have some pretty cool parents. I just wish they would tell Jennifer that.

HALLI
(thinking)
You know what? Maybe they should.

Doc turns the corner facing Tiff's back. Tiff starts turning, but Halli shouts:

HALLI (cont)
Good luck with your test tomorrow!

--to distract her and waves for Doc to move.

TIFF
(smirks)
Yeah, and good luck with Jennifer!

The bell rings, and Tiff waves goodbye, exiting toward Halli. Halli also waves, then quickly runs to Doc.

DOC
Any luck with your parents?

HALLI
Doc, we've got a bigger problem on our hands.

DOC
Bigger than the universe cracking apart?

HALLI
Tiff Tannen knows you invent a time machine...and she also thinks that you and Dad are trying to ruin her life or something.

DOC
We'll just have to stay away from her--she's never caused us a problem before.

HALLI
Doc, this is so weird! My dad can't take an insult, my mom is a popular kid wannabe, and Tiff Tannen actually has a bright future. She was just telling me how she's about to leave Hill Valley and become a computer engineer, but in 2015, she's still there.

(annoyed)

I wish she would've left. Then I wouldn't have to deal with Griff all the time.

CUT TO:

FRONT OF SCHOOL - DAY

DOC
So...have your parents met each other yet?

HALLI

(hesitantly)

Yes...

DOC
Wonderful!

HALLI
Now we just have to wait and see if Dad recruits her for his band. It's just...

DOC
Just what?

HALLI
Well, Mom didn't leave a great impression. She also almost passed out when we shook hands, and I think she saw a glimpse of the future.

DOC
Hm...maybe she's more sensitive to time-travel.

HALLI
Maybe so. She passed out one time in 2015 when she tried to escape her future house and bumped into her future self. I do kind of look like her...

Doc raises an eyebrow as they cross the parking lot.

HALLI (cont)
Will...bump into herself...never mind. The point is, Dad saved her again, and--oh, crud!

She ducks behind a nearby car.

DOC

(still standing)

Halli? What are you...?

HALLI
It's my grandparents! They're on to me!

Doc glances over the car. Sure enough, Lorraine and George approach the car.

LORRAINE

(friendly)

Doc! What are you doing up here?

DOC

(clears throat)

Oh...reminiscing, I suppose...how's the family?

GEORGE
Fine...we think. You haven't happened to have seen a teenager--

LORRAINE
About Marty's age–-

Doc nudges Halli with his foot, telling her to run. She begins to crawl toward the front of the car.

GEORGE
With short dark hair--

LORRAINE
And eyes--same color as mine?

Doc steps around the back of the car so George and Lorraine look the other dirrection.

DOC
Er...not that I can say.

Halli sneaks away, readying her skateboard.

DOC (cont)
Is she...a friend of Marty's?

GEORGE
She said she was your niece.

DOC

(nervous)

Ha! She must finally be here! I'd better get back to the lab--make sure she's safe–-ahem--I mean, comfortable.

He leaves quickly. George and Lorraine are confused.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

298K 6.7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
123K 4.5K 85
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
511K 10.9K 37
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.1M 47.2K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC