My Liege And I

By Sunset_vermont

My love, can you hear that? It is my heart that beats for you. The dew has long settled, where are you? My f... More

INTRODUCTION
Scent
Wool
Say That Again
Smitten
Groveling
Ruyi
News
Jealous
Queen And I
No Doubt
Pain
Winter
Warmth
Favor
Jaded
Love
Cursed
Shame
Morning After
Leash
Happiness
Drunk Lovers
Soon
Baby
Dead
Mistress
For The Best
Loving Yu'er
Bribe
Leniency
Rabbit
New Mistress
Flowers
Monster
Barbarian
Fly
Forgiveness
Understand
City Gates
Smoke
Huntress
Snakes and Porridge
Obsession
Next Life
Poems and Parting
Wedding
Rice
Stained Scrolls
My Liege
Dark
Pigeon
Dimly Lit Embers
Abandoned
The Dragon Poison
Price of War
Sister Nation
The Woman And I
His Weakness
Twin Flames
To Meet Again
Duty
Fated
Merciless
Pursuing Favor
Drown
Purpose
Assassin
The Cause
Pathogen
Get Even
Lord Liege's Desire
Crimson Pendant
To Bear
Tears of Elora
Goat's Heart
Spells and Mirrors
Comrades-in-arms
Retribution
Doom
Three Lifetimes
Sky
Soar
Nevertheless
Running in Futility
My Liege

Till Old

921 112 31
By Sunset_vermont

Chapter 46

Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Her Highness Wei
The Dragon Palace

“Your Majesty, Furia planned this, not killing any of Royal Princess Yang Liu's servants was in itself a message.” A minister furiously remarked.

Shortly, another added. “And the fact that they dared to come to Nevoria and requested for your audience on the night before your wedding day… That is unacceptable!”

“It seems they have come to discuss what they want in exchange for the Royal Princess.”

“Then we will meet them on our terms, if we go down on our knees before such a small nation, the world will laugh at us.”

“Exactly, His Majesty should state he will see them on the day after the wedding.”

“But we can't be this casual when they have the Royal Princess.”

“They would not dare to kill Her Highness. Besides, if they intended any harm, would they have left her servants alive to tell the story of the abduction? We will see them at the time we wish. What is important is the wedding and the coronation.”

Li Lian could not tell which voice belonged to who. She stood by the closed door of the Dragon Palace Library. Ai and the two attendants belonging to Yuwen Hong―an eunuch and assistant court lady―knelt behind her in the large dimly lit waiting room.

“Why would Furia do such a thing? Abduction of a royalty… Could it be their objection to Nevorians enslaving their women?”

"That is a minimal reason. It must be something else.”

“I think that's enough,” Yuwen Hong’s voice rang. “I will not see Furia tonight. Send a messenger letting them know I have retired from my official duties till seven days from now. Until then, they can wait.”

“His Majesty is wise!” All the ministers said in unison.

Yuwen Hong had to be confident Furia feared him to instruct them to wait that long. Every day that passed was a day Yang Liu was in Furia’s hands, and who knew what they could do? Even if they captured the Royal Princess because they desired something, what if they got agitated and impatient that they did away with her?

Li Lian did not understand why Furia could be so bold. Already, she did not like this woman they said was her mother. Did she want to stop the wedding on this night using Yang Liu? After all, it was taboo for a Furian to marry a Nevorian emperor. However, Li Lian was from Huticah, she was raised there and the country of the father always took precedence.

Her mother cared for what affected her as the queen more than what her daughter needed. Abandoning her proved that.

Now that this matter of Yang Liu’s abduction was at hand, Li Lian was supposed to come out with the truth in one of the following seven days. She could not delay it anymore.

She sighed. It was too difficult. All of it was a nightmare.

“Good evening to Her Highness.” Each minister greeted her as they exited the study room. She nodded in response until they had all stepped out.

It was about a minute to the clock when Eunuch Nam stepped out as well and bowed to her. “His Majesty is waiting for you.”

“Thank you.” She stepped in and found Yuwen Hong behind his huge desk. He sat in deep thought with his chin resting upon his fist, while the elbow goaded the table.

“Your Maje―”

“Ignore the formalities, come forth.”

She placed the pillow carrying his collar onto the table. “I have brought the wedding garb’s collar and would like to see if it fits. Do you mind if I stand while you sit?”

“No problem,” he allowed her.

She circled the table and took the collar to examine it around his shoulders and neck area.

Li Lian sew parts of their wedding attires, but most of the work was taken care of by the ministry responsible for the palace fashion design. She would have loved to do it all, but the work was too intricate and called for professional dedication. When it came to the attire, tradition had to be followed, but she was not properly versed, plus the work required a lot of manpower.

Each jewel needed precision, each seam needed accuracy and each stitch needed meticulousness. In the end, her contribution was Yuwen Hong's collar and her belt. Just that little had taken sleepless nights to complete.

“I inserted more buttons so that it can be perfectly hooked onto the rest of the garb. I think it will fit properly this time. What do you think, is it now comfortable?”

He didn’t respond for a while, before giving a startled “Hmm?” because she kept staring at him for a response.

He shook his head to knock himself back to the present, before his brain suddenly caught on to what she had just said.

“Yes, yes, it is comfortable now.”

“That is great.” She removed the collar, “Is anything bothering you?”

He breathed out heavily and took a moment to form his words. “Not right now.” He wrapped his hands around her torso and brought her closer to him, “I choose not to be bothered when tomorrow will be a day to remember.”

He rested his head onto her stomach and they froze into the moment. She appreciatively caressed his tied hair as they enjoyed each other.

"Are you afraid?"

He hummed as he contemplated. "I could be, but I have learned not to be. As long as I do my best, it will work out."

She agreed. "Her Royal Highness will safely return. I trust you have the ability to ensure that."

He kissed her stomach and squeezed her a little. "I like to hear that, you being so confident about me, it is a sensual song for my ego."

She chuckled and sighed. “Thank you."

He was the best present life had ever given to her. She owed a thousand bows to the Heavens.

“For what?”

“For choosing me.” She bit her lip. “You could have chosen anyone else who was not me.”

He raised his head from her stomach to look up at her. A smile appeared on his lips for the first time since seeing him that night, this made her relax a little. He was all right.

“You too. You could have chosen another man.”

She shook her head, laughing lightly. “Never. No other man would have been as patient, as loving, and willing to go through the hardships you went through to have my walls break down.” Her hand went onto his shoulder and started kneading circles of dull massaging. “Only, Yu’er.”

His smile widened further to show his beautiful teeth. “Li Lian.”

He took her hands and their fingers wove together.

“Tomorrow, I promise to take you as my wife for life. I will love you through the good and bad, and I will be your love, without break or decay.

"When the hills are all flat, the rivers all dry, when thunder comes in winter, when snow comes in summer, when heaven and earth will mingle, not till then will I part from you.”

His thumb slowly skimmed over her palm to release her nerves. “I promise to listen to you, to anticipate your needs, to care for you and to protect you.”

She wiped a stray tear kissing her cheek. The previous time he confessed such feelings towards her, she had been rendered speechless, found with no words to say back to him. At that time she was a stranger to love, not knowing how to share her feelings. However, not anymore.

Yuwen Hong had kept his promise. He taught her how to love.

“Yuwen Hong. You remind me of a hedgehog. Hard on the outside and painful to touch when your guard is up. However, on the inside you are quite tender. When you begin to trust and drop your quills, you are the softest.”

He laughed quietly at her haphazard proclamation of love.

She was still not the best at this, so she giggled along before finishing. “Meet or part, live or die. I am making an oath with you that I will hold your hand and live with you till old.”

S.V

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Blind and Bereft By mimi

Historical Fiction

235K 25.4K 92
In order to uncover the mystery behind her sister's death, Li Jingrui will stop at nothing even if she must become a palace maid to serve a stern bas...
891 13 10
(UPDATES INTERMITTENTLY) A regular guy gets transmigrated into a palace intrigue novel that he's been reading as a background character. Yes, you'v...
41 0 24
Once soaked in your love's tender rain, Wringing it out, dreams of vengeance gain. A heart's metamorphosis, a tale spun, In the echoes of love, reven...
281K 19.4K 92
To His Majesty, It is in the middle of the night and I keep tossing and turning. To relieve my mind and hopefully sleep, I am writing this to you. A...