The Bird and the Garden 2: Re...

By SecretMinty

The second book of The Bird and the Garden, taking place after the Good Ending. With Y/N and Vao's lives havi... More

Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: It Lives
Chapter 3: Beacon
Chapter 4: The Initiation
Character Introductions
Chapter 5: A New Life
Chapter 6: Class
Chapter 7: Shadows Creep
Chapter 8: It Begins
Chapter 9: The Murder
Chapter 10: Revelation
Chapter 11: Recovery
Chapter 12: Upcoming Events
Chapter 13: The School Dance
Chapter 14: The Club
Chapter 15: Forbidden Knowledge
Chapter 17: There Will Be Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Kill
Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths
Chapter 20: The Beginning
Chapter 21: Innsmaw
Chapter 22: Insanity
Chapter 23: Vytal Festival
Chapter 24: Paradise
Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 26: Vao Versus Ruby
Chapter 27: Nightmares
Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw
Chapter 29: Withdrawn
Chapter 30: Escape
Chapter 31: Making a Mistake
Chapter 32: Hell
Chapter 33: Everything is Wrong
Chapter 34: Fugitives
Chapter 35: Interview
Chapter 36: Vale News Department
Chapter 37: Lisa Lavender
Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One
Chapter 39: Sasha, Part Two
Chapter 40: Questions
Chapter 41: Memories
Chapter 42: The Training, Part One
Chapter 43: The Training, Part Two
Chapter 44: War on Vale
Chapter 45: Salem, Part One
Chapter 46: Salem, Part Two
Chapter 47: Salem, Part Three
Chapter 48: Evil's Reality
Scrapped Ideas
Epilogue: Don't Leave Me

Chapter 16: Verde's Secret

96 3 5
By SecretMinty

Students bustled all around the Academy, going about their typical Wednesday. It was lunchtime, and everyone was relieved that the week was half way over. With exams approaching, and then the Vytal Festival, everyone was stressed. Everyone except a certain group.

"Vao, stop playing with your food!"

Vao glared angrily at his younger brother. "Oh, piss off! I'm not playing, I'm making art!"

When Y/N leaned over his brother's shoulder, he was genuinely taken aback. Somehow, with tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup, and mustard, Vao had managed to recreate Y/N's face. The only thing wrong with it? In his assortment of condiments, Vao had written a vulgar word and an arrow pointing at the depiction. The word was 'bitch'. Vao learning how to spell was probably the worst mistake Y/N had ever seen. Aside from joining a crime organization.

Verde clapped her hands approvingly. She too had looked at the mess Vao made, and seemed pleased. "Well done, Vao. With practice, we could perhaps even paint together."

"Don't encourage him," Weiss hissed. She didn't seem happy that Vao was goofing off, and knew full well he wasn't going to eat it. Vao picked up a paper plate, holding it high. "Look, Weiss! I made you, too! You knob!"

The paper plate had mustard smeared across it. The shape was... Well, it was the word Vao just used as an insult. The heiress screamed in fury, trying to lunge over the table to strangle him. Sasha held her back with one hand, still munching on her sandwich. "Let it go, buddy. Let him have his fu-"

Sasha was cut off when Vao squeezed a ketchup bottle, drenching her sandwich. The giantess screamed in horror. "You know I hate ketchup, you ass!"

Vao was laughing hysterically. Vao is just an asshole like that. Y/N smacked the back of his head harshly, causing the Branwen to cry out in pain.

"Unyu!"

"Eat, Vao! Gain some weight!"

Vao trailed his hands down his sides proudly. "Then how will I keep up this amazing hourglass figure if I got a muffin top?"

"Men shouldn't have an hourglass figure..." Cardin muttered. Vao threw a grape at him, the ginger catching it in his mouth. Yang snickered, tossing her own food at him. Y/N groaned at the immaturity of his siblings. Was he really the younger one?

Blake watched as an apple soared over her head, turning back to her book with a shake of her head. And as for their decoy? Milita was watching the entire thing, sipping from her milk, bored out of her mind.

"... Is this seriously what you do all day? Do boring tests, talk loud and be stupid?" She asked. Milita thought to herself before shaking her head. "Nevermind, Vao's always been loud and stupid."

"Yeah, tests are pretty much every day here. Just wait until Professor Branwen's class... She always hands out tests," Cardin muttered sullenly. "And they're always really hard, too. Usually that's because Vao screws everyone over."

"How?"

Y/N frowned, leaning against the table. "You see, it starts out with being asked a simple question. He always gets to be philosophical about it, and then tells her it was a pathetic question. Then she gives a harder one that even he can't bull crap his way out of."

Vao growled. "Hey, last week was rubbish. There's no way anyone could have answered that question!" He hissed defensively. Weiss groaned, rubbing her temples. "Vao, you were asked what two plus two equaled to..."

"Yeah, and it's twenty-two. She even explained it like that! Take two, add another two, and wot do you get? Twenty-two. Dumb fuck."

There was so much iron in the irony in that statement could have built Y/N a new weapon. He looked at his older brother like he was the saddest thing he had ever seen. "Dude... Two plus two equals four..."

"And where the bloody hell did the four come from? Checkmate, you wazzock."

Milita frowned. "Vao, did... Did you skip school?"

The alcoholic shrugged. "So wot if I did? It's not like first grade was important."

"Except you didn't skip just first grade. You skipped all of them," Yang pointed out. She suddenly had a thought, confusion becoming apparent on her face. "Wait a minute, how were you not held back?"

"Get Uncle Qrow piss drunk, let him pelt you in the face with an airsoft rifle, and then tell him if he doesn't do his homework he's grounded and he'll do it in a heartbeat."

Y/N and Yang groaned, holding the heads in their hands. Of course Vao would do that to their uncle. Anything to get out of doing any type of school work. Weiss looked at him weirdly. "Wait... So if you don't know even basic algebra, how do you pass your tests here? Combat I can understand, but everything else involves using your brain - something you either don't use, or don't have."

"Oh, I just copy off Y/N."

"... Excuse me?"

Vao nodded. "Yeah! I always look at your answers! I can't really tell wot they are, and sometimes I write the wrong thing, but I'm passing with a D minus!"

"... I'm sitting on the other side of the desk from today forward."

Vao looked horrified. "Are you trying to get me kicked out of Beacon!?"

Y/N ignored him, turning back to his food. Vao kept trying to talk to him, poking the side of his head. But Y/N powered through, blocking out all distractions. At least until Vao stood up and started to walk away. The katana-wielder watched him leave the cafeteria, his brows furrowing in confusion.

"... Where's he going?" Blake asked. Yang shrugged.

"Probably saw a butterfly outside or something. Vao has an attention span shorter than Verde's height."

The artist didn't seem to like that. It wasn't noticeable on her blank face, but her actions had become a bit more aggressive as she stabbed at her steak with her fork. "... I am not short."

"You're five foot two. Literally shorter than Weiss, and she's tiny!" Yang snickered. Verde poked at her steak again, leaving the fork embedded in place. "... Are we going there?" She asked. Yang grinned mischievously.

"Ooh, did I strike a nerve? Am I gonna get some Verde lore?"

Verde leaned forward, her green eyes locking with Yang's lilac ones. "I've got Yang lore. In grade school, you had a habit of allowing a piece of toilet paper to become stuck to your heel every time you left the restroom."

Yang dropped her spoon back into her soup bowl. "Who the hell told you about that?"

"Vao did. He tells me everything, like the one time he cut your hair while you were sleeping as some sort of a joke."

Yang's eyes blazed red with fury, and she stood up quick enough to jolt the table. "Oh, he did? Y/N, I'll be a bit late." Without another word, Yang sprinted from the cafeteria. Verde seemed confused.

"... Did I say something wrong?"

Y/N nodded. "Yeah, you just got my brother killed. Yang don't like her hair being touched, or being messed with at all."

The artist's jaw dropped, looking back at the door and wondering if she should help him. But it was too late; the cafeteria went dead silent when Vao's scream of sheer agony and terror came from outside.

After a few seconds, the bell rang loudly, signaling the end of their precious break. As Y/N walked outside with everyone, he worried what he might find of his brother. But when he looked around, Vao was nowhere to be found, nor was Yang. The only thing left that proved their existence at all was Vao's prosthetic, leg. The mechanical limb was heavily damaged; deep dents ruined the once smooth surface, and there were sparks coming from the exposed, torn wires. Cardin picked it up, his hands trembling a bit.

"... He was a bad friend, but... Still a friend..."

Weiss rolled her eyes. "Oh, be quiet. He's still alive, just probably not for long."

As the posse walked into class, Y/N set the prosthetic down on the teacher's desk. If Vao ever made it back to class, he could explain why he wasn't wearing it and was late. That is, if Yang didn't decide to just leave him alone with one leg.

His thoughts were interrupted when the door to the classroom swung open, and in strode the professor. Raven slid behind her desk, staring at the class. As her eyes moved from student to student, she paused.

"... Mr. Rose, where the hell is Vao?"

"Why're you asking me?"

Raven scowled. "He's always with you. Does he have detention with another teacher?"

When Y/N shook his head, Raven groaned and pulled out her scroll. She pressed the device against her ear, drumming her fingers on the desk impatiently.

"... Hello? Vao? Yeah, it's me. Where are you?" She growled. Y/N could hear Vao's faint voice from where he sat, but couldn't make out what he was saying. Whatever it was, it angered Raven. "I don't care if Yang broke your arms. Walk it off!"

Her eyes stopped on his prosthetic that laid on top of her desk. "Oh... Wait..." She groaned, turning her attention back to the class. "Alright, I'll be right over." She clicked the scroll off, drawing her weapon and slashing a portal open. "Start studying while I'm away. Because the class drunk wanted to pick a fight, you're all writing at least six pages about the textbook we read last class," she growled. A collective groan from the class followed. Some students even started whispering about getting payback on the cripple. As Raven stepped through portal, Milita knocked the paper off the desk.

"I'm in my freaking twenties... I don't want to do school again," she growled. Weiss had already filled out a page, sighing frustratedly. "You don't have a choice; if you don't do it, we'll be found out."

Sasha shrugged. "Well, not exactly. Ruby never really did much work, she just spent most of her time launching spitballs at the back of Y/N and Vao's heads."

Y/N turned around in his seat, pointing up at the bodyguard. "You hit me with a spitball and we're going to have a real problem."

Milita rolled her eyes. "Like I would do something like that. That's disgusting."

Y/N thought that maybe Milita wasn't as bad as he initially thought. He figured that since she was Vao's best friend that she'd be just as vulgar as him, but she really wasn't. The door to the classroom swung open, Raven dragging a heavily injured Vao inside with her. She was blasting him.

"You're always late for class! I'd bet you picked a fight with Yang on purpose, didn't you!?"

"Wot kinda logic is that, you nutter!? For the first time in my bloody life, I didn't do anything wrong! That bloke walked up to me and pushed me into traffic!"

Raven spun around, shoving his prosthetic into his chest. "Enough with the lies! You're always doing something wrong!"

Vao reattached his prosthetic and began to limp towards his seat before grumbling something foul under his breath. What hadn't been planned, was for his mother to hear him. The professor's chalk froze against the chalkboard, her head slowly turning to him. Vao, as stupid as he was, was not oblivious to the danger he had thrown himself into. He looked up at Y/N with pleading eyes, but the younger brother just shook his head, his face pale.

Raven set the chalk back down, stepping closer to Vao. "... What did you just say to me?"

Vao was tripping over his words, trying to make the best lie he could - normal lies wouldn't get him out of this. His mom knew him too well for that. He didn't dare turn to face her, either. Raven huffed, a fatal smirk playing on her lips. "Go ahead. Repeat yourself. Make sure everyone can hear you. Do it."

Vao's voice was shaky, and barely audible from the back. But nonetheless he made himself heard. When the words left his mouth, Y/N jaw dropped in horror. Vao was going to get murdered in front of them.

"I-I said... Th-this is why you d-dont have a b-boyfriend..."

The class was horribly silent. Many of the students didn't even dare to breathe. Raven was the least forgiving professor in the entire Academy - there was no way she would let this slide. But instead, she smiled sweetly. Terror filled the atmosphere. The only thing more dangerous than fighting a creature of Grimm alone was Professor Branwen smiling after being insulted. She even giggled a bit.

"So... That's what you think of me, huh? Just some lonely woman who can't pick up guys? Is that it, Vao?"

Vao nodded nervously. "Y-you're always watching s-soap operas and eating ice c-cream while c-crying, m-mum..." A single tear trickled down his left cheek. "P-please don't hurt me..."

Raven reached into her pocket, pulling out her scroll. "I'm not mad."

"... Really?"

Raven nodded, scrolling through her photo gallery. "No, no. I forgive you. Hey, check this out kiddo. This is who I'm with right now. Your future stepfather."

She reached over his shoulder to show him the screen. Vao squinted, his face going from confusion, to surprise, to anger, and then sheer horror.

"IS THAT PROFESSOR OOBLECK!?"

The class died laughing. Vao's reaction was priceless. The femboy spun around, his hands clasped together. "Mummy, no! Anyone but him! I'll never be able to get away with cheating on another test!" He bawled. Raven laughed loudly, waving the scroll high out of his reach.

"Who's single now, bitch!?" Raven wiped victorious tears from her eyes, that same grin never leaving her face. "And the best part? He asked me! You didn't even have the balls to tell Verde you liked her! What kind of man are you? Sit down, you lost this one!"

Vao was humiliated. Crying his eyes out, he stumbled back to his desk, taking his seat next to his little brother. Y/N was holding his stomach tightly, pointing at Vao hysterically. "You got destroyed, Vao! Absolutely destroyed, you freaking loser!"

Yang slammed her fist on the desk in fury. "It's not funny, Y/N! I don't want to see Oobleck outside of school! He's going to make us study the entire vacation!"

Vao pointed at Yang, wiping helplessly at the endless waterfall of tears that pooled on his skirt. "S-see? Yang is a real f-friend! You c-cunt, I hate you!"

Sasha was laying face down on her desk, her entire body vibrating at intense speeds, her booming laughter filling the room. Y/N rested a hand on Vao's shoulder, still unable to hold it in.

"Dude, you HAVE to call Oobleck dad from now on!"

Raven clapped her hands together as she sat back down at her desk. "Yes, he'll love that! Vao, you will address him as father!"

Vao slammed his fists on the desk angrily, screaming at the top of his lungs. He really was upset. "I'd rather shove three cactuses up my arse and into my intestines than call that telescope wearing, messy-haired, coke addicted dork daddy! My daddy is Tai, and I love him! Not some speed monster who can move at thirty miles per hour at a walking pace!" He took a heavy gulp from his flask, throwing the empty tin on the desk and fetching an entire bottle, clearing it in three gulps.

Yang threw an eraser at Weiss, who was practically rolling in her chair. "Shut up, princess! We're supposed to be on the same team!"

"Yeah!" Vao chipped in, waving his bottle wildly in the air. "How would you like it if I told you I was shagging your mum!?"

"Y-you're cheating on me!?" Verde wailed. She looked devastated. Vao spun around in panic.

"No, no! It was an example! My heart belongs only to vodka and you!"

Y/N felt like he was about to piss himself. Vao started screaming a slew of insults and death threats, brandishing a switchblade. Something that was illegal for him to have in the first place.

"Shut the fuck up, you manky plonker! You want to meet my mate Stanley or wot!?"

The door slammed open, Oobleck zooming inside. "I heard Vao screaming! Is everything okay!?" As usual, his words were barely intelligible. He took a sip from his thermos, his neck cracking as he looked at Vao. "Son, are you alright!? I will be there for you!"

Y/N fell out of his chair. It wasn't just the fact that Oobleck came in, it was that his words were filled with genuine concern for the alcoholic. Vao took another sip from the bottle, emptying it. He smashed the fat end of the glass on his desk, pointing the prison weapon at his teacher.

"I'M GOING TO PRISON TONIGHT, FOUR EYES!"

Yang reached over, holding Vao back as he tried to lunge at Oobleck. Y/N used the desk to pull himself back up, holding Weiss's shoulder as he laughed so hard he almost threw up. Oobleck furrowed his eyebrows worriedly.

"I know it is a difficult change! But I, Doctor Oobleck, am here for you! Which is why you may call me Mr. Oobleck until you are comfortable calling me Pop!"

"I'll pop you in the mouth! You're shagging me mum!" Vao wailed. He dropped the bottle, clutching into Yang for emotional support. Oobleck shook his head furiously.

"There is no need to fret! We have not done anything yet!"

"Yet!? That's supposed to make me feel better!?"

"You get what you deserve, asshole!" Someone screamed from the back of the room. Y/N recognized it as someone Vao had robbed a few weeks ago, then pawned everything he stole for a quick buck. Y/N hadn't even realized it - karma had caught up to Vao. That only made him blue in the face. Vao pulled away from Yang, throwing his bottle at Oobleck. The doctor stepped to the side, watching as the glass shattered against the wall.

"... I see you are distressed! May I recommend some quality bonding time together!? Your dear mother told me you always wanted to go to Pumpkin Pete's Amusement Park! I will gladly take you!"

"I'd rather die in a shitting car accident! Y/N, I swear to Dust if you don't stop fucking laughing, I'll punch you until you're a vegetable!"

Y/N danced out of Vao's reach, pissing off his older brother. The femboy stomped his foot angrily, storming to the door and looking back to say one final thing to everyone.

"You all are shitty friends! I hate all of you! Verde, Yang, you're cool!" He roared. He turned, grabbing the door handle. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get pissed! I'm going to drink until I forget this ever happened!"

"I recommend an AA meeting!" Oobleck shouted. Vao just slammed the door shut, leaving the classroom. Outside, they could hear him breaking lockers and screaming down the halls. Y/N didn't even think Vao could get that angry.

But that didn't make it any less hilarious to the class. To see everything Vao did at school come back to bite him in the rear end was unforgettable. Yang glared at her mother before following Vao out the door. When she slammed it, the frame cracked. Verde picked up a rubber band, pulling it back and launching it at the door. The wall finally gave way, the hinges snapped off their screws and letting the door fall. Now they could hear - and see - the hellscape Vao was making.

"Dude, calm down! At least give him a chance!" Yang was shouting. The only reply was a scream of fury, and then a locker sailing past the door. Yang rocketed back into the room as another locker was thrown. Y/N jumped over and peered outside the door. Vao wasn't there anymore, but his mess still was. Lockers were tipped over and severely damaged, and for some reason his shirt was in tatters on the floor. Y/N wheezed, managing to catch his breath. Panting heavily and still snickering, he looked at Raven with glee in his eyes.

"Auntie... He's so angry!"

Raven nodded. "Payback's a bitch, kid. You'll learn that as you get older."

Y/N added that to his memory. He wondered if he'd ever have the opportunity to say that himself.

He could kind of understand where Vao was coming from, though. He and the teacher had been butting heads since they finished the initiation. And having a teacher as a father figure was likely not very fun. And when Y/N looked at Yang, he burst out laughing again. The blonde's eyes shifted straight to crimson, her nostrils flaring.

"... Something funny?"

Y/N couldn't answer. So she answered for him. Yang cracked her knuckles, reeling her arm back and decking him as hard as she could. Y/N's lifeless body soared across the room, landing in a heap against the back wall. Yang huffed furiously, finally following Vao. She had made up her mind; she was going to drink, too.

...

It was a few days after that. Vao didn't get over the fact that his mother was dating his teacher. And he definitely wasn't over that Y/N still found it hilarious. He was glaring at his younger brother, who was trying to hide his smirk with his hand. Sasha was playing a game on the console, her feet kicked up. Verde was the only one not present, trying to find them a mission that would take Team FRSB at least somewhat close to wherever it was she wanted to go.

"... It's not funny, wanker."

"That's your opinion. Everyone thinks it's hilarious except for you and Yang. Even Dad laughed."

Vao growled lowly. "Dad laughs at everything, so that don't count."

Sasha groaned, leaning her head back. "It's been two days... Please, just stop arguing and hug it out or something!"

Y/N smirked slyly, extending his arms. "Do you want a hug, Vao? We can invite Daddy Barthy."

"Say that again and I'll walk around school naked."

That wiped the smirk off Y/N's face. Everyone knew they were related; walking around nude would have no effect on Vao. He was confident in his appearance, and had little to no shame. Y/N, however, would be embarrassed. Vao gave his own victorious smirk. "That's right, cunt. I still got it," he muttered to himself.

A knock at the door broke them from their staring contest. Sasha groaned again, leaning her head back. "It's open!"

The door slowly swung open, a looming shadow filling the frame. "Good morning, Team FRSB. May I come in?"

Vao's shit eating smirk faded away, altering into a happy one. "Oh, James!"

Y/N leaned over angrily. "It's General, you dimwit! Show some respect!" He whispered harshly. But Ironwood waved it off.

"No, no, it is quite alright. He has my permission. After all, he's a close friend to my daughter."

"They're more than that," Sasha called from the game console. She was in the middle of a boss fight. "They started dating a week ago."

Ironwood stopped smiling, turning a dead, icy stare at Vao. He leaned forward, his blue eyes locked with Vao's soul. "... Hey, Vao."

"W-wot...?"

"If you make her cry once, I'll make your legs match. Understood?"

Y/N understood the weight of that promise. Even Vao wasn't that stupid. The femboy nodded. "A-ah... Please don't hurt me..."

Ironwood sighed, standing up straight. It was time to discuss what he came here for. He pointed at Y/N's desk. "May I sit?" He asked kindly. Y/N nodded, a bit nervous. He didn't think the General would really be interested in talking with them. He surely had more important things to worry about, didn't he? Ironwood sat in the chair, looking around the room. "... It is clean in here. It is lovely," he commented.

"Thank you, sir."

"Wot a kiss arse you are, bruv..."

"Shut up, Vao."

Ironwood finally let his stony expression fall, leaning forward. "... There is something very important I wish to discuss. Especially since you plan to go out on a mission. I need at least one of you to be with Verde at all times, no matter what."

Y/N found it endearing. Ironwood worried about his daughter even though she was training to become a Huntress. He didn't think the General would have such a soft spot. Vao seemed confused. "But I'm with Verde all the time already whenever we leave school. I thought she would have told you that already?"

Y/N was the first to notice it. The daunting, grim expression worn on Ironwood's face as his lips tightened, his eyes suddenly seeming much deeper than normal. Even Sasha paused her game to eavesdrop.

"I mean don't let her out of your sight, even for a second. Keep an eye on her, no matter what. She's in danger."

Y/N and Vao looked at him. Their faces had darkened, trying to figure out what could be threatening the artist. But the only conclusion they could reach was Ruby - something Ironwood wasn't aware of. "... Danger...?" Y/N echoed quietly. Ironwood nodded slowly.

"Grave danger. Vao, I assume she has mentioned her biological father to you, correct?"

Vao nodded. "Yeah, mate. She never went into a lot of detail, just said she would never forgive him..."

Ironwood sighed, rubbing his face with his gloves hands. He felt he was disrespecting Verde by doing this. It wasn't something she wanted anybody to know. She didn't want to be treated differently from other people. Especially Vao. But this was for her sake. He couldn't tell her, or he'd risk throwing her into a panic attack, or worse.

"... Her father escaped prison a few days ago. We haven't been able to find him, but we know what he's after. Who he's after."

"V-Verde? What would he ant with Verde?" Sasha stuttered from her chair. Ironwood didn't look up. He pulled his hands away from his face. No matter how hard he tried to think of another way, he couldn't. He had to tell them the truth.

"... His name is Rojo. Rojo Forest. He's a pedophile," he admitted quietly. "When Verde was only five years old, there was a car accident. It killed her mother, Midori. And shortly after that, Rojo... He..." The General took a minute, forcing the growing lump back down in his throat, maintaining his bearing. Now wasn't the time to get emotional. "... He turned to alcohol. He broke her. Beat her every day, starved her. He raped her to satisfy himself. No matter how hard she cried, how much she begged it to stop, he never listened. For eleven years, eleven fucking years, he sexually abused her."

Crack.

Y/N heard Vao's knuckles popping from where he sat. At first he thought Vao was angry with her father. But when he stared into those crimson eyes, he could see the truth. Just how angry Vao was at himself. He couldn't imagine how that must've felt, knowing his own alcoholism affected her. Ironwood groaned quietly, wiping at his eyes.

"... At some point, something in Verde was damaged beyond repair. Her ability to physically express herself. To laugh, to smile, to have any sort of tone that wasn't monotone. After I arrested him, I took her in. I tried everything I could to get a reaction from her. Let her go to the places she wanted, choose dinner, anything. But never once did she smile. Not a giggle. Not a shred of excitement."

Y/N didn't know what to think. What to feel. He never could have imagined Verde had gone through something like that. And deep down he knew Ironwood was leaving out details - whatever Verde had gone through was far, far worse than he was letting on. It was horrible enough to stop Verde from being normal. The General paused to wipe at his eyes for a second, taking a deep breath. "... And then she met you."

He was looking at Vao. The femboy stared back, not saying anything. He couldn't. Verde had told him he was her first friend, but he never knew the context behind it. Ironwood gave a small, grim, yet happy smile.

"After the initiation, she called me. Said she met someone special. Someone who didn't treat her differently because of how she talked. It... Was the first time I heard something in her voice. She was happy. I doubt she was smiling, but I knew she was happy. Happy to have met you." He looked around, his eyes resting on Y/N and Sasha. "She said she met three of the best people in her life. Something that made everything worth it." Y/N and Sasha felt touched. They didn't know their leader felt that way. Ironwood turned back to Vao.

"But you, Vao. You were the only one who made her feel wanted. Like she belonged. Ever since she told me that, I wanted to meet you. I wanted to meet all of you, who made her feel like everything was going to be okay. She told me how she felt around you - her heart would beat really fast, she wouldn't know what to say. I... Honestly wanted to hurt you. I knew you were an alcoholic, because you're a Branwen. I didn't want to risk Verde falling back into something like that. So I met you myself. I saw the good in you. The good in each one of you."

He slid out of his chair, standing to his own feet. Looking down at them, they could see the true face of the General. A caring father who only wanted what was best for his daughter. Even if she was adopted, he cared about her like his own flesh and blood. Something Verde wasn't able to have from her real family. Ironwood bent down at the waist, lowering his head as he bowed.

"Which is why I'm begging you. Do not let her out of your sight. Rojo isn't someone you can take on. He's a former Atlesian Specialist, trained to kill. His Semblance is dangerous. You can't get close to him. But I know you. So I ask this without worry - will you keep my daughter safe, no matter what?"

They didn't have to think twice about it. They didn't think once when they gave their answer.

If Rojo was out there again, Verde wasn't safe. Neither of them would allow that.

...

When Verde entered the dorm room, Ironwood had already left. Instead, she came to the sight of Vao shivering on the ground, heavy bags under his eyes that were wide and alert. Y/N and Sasha were trying to console him.

"Y-Y/N, I can't... I can't..."

"You're doing the right thing, Vao..." The katana-wielder looked up to see his leader staring. "Oh, there you are Verde."

"What's wrong with my boyfriend? Did you two make him look out the window again? You know he's scared of windows ever since he lost his leg," she asked sternly. Sasha shook her head.

"Nah, not this time. He's just going through some serious withdrawals right now."

"Withdrawals? From what?"

"Alcohol," Y/N replied. "A few hours ago he threw it all in a bag before taking it out to the dumpster. I... Did not know he was that dependent on liquor, to be honest..." They weren't telling Verde why Vao threw out his alcohol. They knew she told Vao once she didn't like it, and that was why he very rarely drank around her, if at all. At least they would be in the clear from that: she couldn't find out what they knew about her. The artist stepped up to Vao, kneeling down next to him and touching his arm.

"Why would you do that?" She asked gently. Vao looked up at her, his eyes wide with terror.

"I-I wanted to m-make you happy... B-but now that I'm sober for the first time in s-seven years, I fully realize the weight of my sins and do not want to leave this room."

"And as it turns out, you're lessons actually did work! He really can read," Sasha exclaimed. "He's usually just too drunk to remember."

Verde felt touched. She knew Vao was a sweet person, and this proved it: to throw away his habits just for her sake. But she didn't want Vao to stop being himself for her.

"Vao... That makes me really happy. But I don't mind if you drink. Just not too much, okay?"

Vao suddenly stood up. "... Okay... I'll be back..."

He vanished in a cloud of ash, teleporting out of the room and leaving his team alone. It was almost ten minutes when he came back, swaying on his feet. "Oh, mate! That hits just right!" He moaned in ecstasy. To Vao, alcohol is a necessity. Verde overpowers that necessity. He looked to Verde, grinning shyly.

"Verde, have I ever told you how much I love you? You're the most amazing person I have ever met. Stunning, smart, you've got it all. I'm so happy I have you," he murmured. Verde felt her face turn dark red.

"O-oh... V-Vao, I-I..."

The femboy held out his arms, looking back and forth between Sasha and Y/N. "And you two! My best pals, my mates! I would take a bullet for you! Even if I'm an asshole, I sometimes cry at night because I'm worried I went too far and you'll leave me!"

He was drunk. Somehow, in just ten minutes, he got drunk. But still, Y/N and Sasha felt happy hearing him say that. If he was drunk, he was more honest. It made them feel a bit bad for bullying him all the time. As Verde drew closer and held his hand, Vao popped several breath mints into his mouth to snuff out the stench of alcohol.

"So, where are we going, anyways? You never really said," Y/N asked as they began to leave. Verde hummed quietly.

"... It's a small village on the north coast of Sanus, near the island of Vytal and on the shores of the Atlesian Sea."

"... Sanus?"

"The literal continent we live on, Vao. Fucking moron," Sasha growled. The femboy just looked even more confused.

"I thought we lived in Vale, though..."

"That's the city," Y/N answered. "The continent is Sanus, which includes Vacuo. For the love of Dust, read a book!"

"Well sorry for maps being useless nowadays, damn... I've never left Vale..."

Y/N ignored Vao. He was a moron who didn't know how to read until recently, making his opinion wrong no matter how correct he was. Verde continued, gripping Vao's hand tighter.

"... The village is called Innsmaw. I have a reason to suspect that Ruby might've hidden there."

"Really? Why?" Y/N asked curiously. Verde shook her head. She didn't want to tell them about her studies in the Club. For some odd reason, it felt personal, like something she should cherish alone.

"Let's just go to Innsmaw. When we get there, we can begin our search," she stated blankly. "Vao, the school bullhead won't take us that far, so we'll have to ride in your car."

"It's busted," Vao replied. "I crashed it last night, and now it's at the shop. We could walk there, though. Y/N's fat arse could use the exercise."

"Shut up, Lady Hips!"

"Vao, Vale is over thirty miles away. Are you really planning to walk there?" Sasha asked. "As much as I like to exercise, we don't have nearly enough water to stay hydrated."

Verde nodded in agreement. "I concur. We'll just take the bullhead to Vale, then walk to the next port."

Vao seemed downcast. "No one ever likes my ideas..."

Y/N scowled. "Because most of your ideas involve getting into fights, starting fights, or crying because Oobleck is dating your mom."

"Keep talking about that and I'll throw your bed into a pond."

Verde and Sasha sighed as Y/N and Vao began to argue. But soon, the bullhead came into view. Finally, their journey to Innsmaw could begin.

...

When the bullhead touched down, Team FRSB stepped out and into the city. Verde was covering her ears. Sasha's face was dark red, a being snaking it's way up her neck. And Y/N and Vao? They were still arguing.

"Will you to shut up already!?" Sasha screamed at them. Y/N had Vao by the collar, and Vao was pulling at Y/N's hair. The two released each other, still glaring daggers. With everything finally quiet between the two, Verde finally uncovered her ears with a sigh of relief.

The busy streets were nothing special. People bustled around as Verde led them down the sidewalk, occasionally stopping to say something.

"Oh, Vao."

"Wot?"

"Do you remember that place?" Verde asked, pointing at a restaurant. "You said it served, um... 'the best effing sandwiches in Vale'."

Vao gushed. "Oh, she's so innocent... Unlike nasty ass, unshowered Y/N."

"I showered this morning, you prick. And you smell like a bar every day, so I don't want to hear it."

"Y/N, Vao, if you start arguing again I'm going to get angry. And you won't like Sasha when she's angry."

Vao tossed his arms in the air. "No one likes Sasha when she's angry. Sasha is almost seven feet tall, over three hundred pounds of solid muscle, and has arms bigger than my fuckin' head. Sasha getting angry is fatal."

Sasha scoffed. "What are you trying to say, shorty?"

"That everyone is perpetually scared of you."

The giant grinned in response. "Cardin seems to like my height."

"... Because Cardin has mommy issues," Vao groaned. Y/N coughed, trying to hide a laugh. He shouldn't be laughing at Cardin for having divorced parents.

Verde stopped to stare at something, catching their attention. Y/N stopped smiling. Did she see him? She was staring across the street, her jaw agape and her eyes wide. Sasha furrowed her eyebrows worriedly. "Boss? You good?"

Without warning, Verde ran across the street, straight into traffic. Cars swerved out of the way, missing the artist by inches. Vao let out a cry of horror, trying to follow. Only for Y/N to pull him out of the way just as a semi truck nearly juiced him. "Brother, you almost ended up like we do in Professor Callows's classes!"

Y/N looked both ways before sprinting across the street, dragging Vao behind him. With her long legs, Sasha caught up easily. They could see Verde running into a building, following quickly as they burst in. But as they saw what the building was, they stopped dead in their tracks. Verde was looking around in expressionless awe, staring at the walls. More paintings than Y/N had ever seen in his life. Sculptures, pottery, every little thing belonging to the creative arts.

"Oh, I've always wanted to come here," Verde gushed blankly. Vao scratched his head, still visibly shaken from nearly becoming a Vaocake on the side of a road.

"A... Museum? You've always wanted to go to a museum?"

Y/N sighed. "Vao, sometimes people go out to learn something new. It's fun."

"HOW."

"Some people like learning, Vao! Not everyone has negative brain cells like your entire bloodline."

Vao seemed genuinely offended by that. "Don't talk rubbish about me mum!"

"What about your uncle?" Sasha chipped in. Vao shrugged.

"He always shoots me in the head with an airsoft gun. He did it yesterday when I was opening the window for some fresh air. He waited in the bushes for sixteen hours, can you believe it? He'll do anything to hit me with an airsoft gun."

"Yeah," Y/N snickered. "Uncle Qrow loves airsoft. I think you'd get along with him really well, Sasha."

"If it means I get to snipe Vao, I'd love to be Uncle Qrow's friend." She stopped to turn when a pair of footsteps approached from behind, followed by a loud motormouth speaking.

"Good morning, students!"

A few feet away, Verde was staring at one of the displays for a sculpture. She was leaning on the gate, admiring the craftsmanship of the finely molded statue that could have fit in her hands. At least, until Vao screamed in terror. The artist spun around, fearing the worst. Had a stranger run off with his prosthetic again? But instead, she saw two of her teachers talking with her team. Specifically Oobleck and Raven. The doctor seemed overjoyed.

"Dearest stepson, I had no idea you enjoyed the creative arts! Marvelous, simply marvelous! Perhaps we can bond over this!" Next to him, Raven arched an eyebrow.

"You have me baffled, Vao. I never thought you of all people would willingly walk into a museum. Is this that mission you were telling me about? To actually learn something?"

Vao was crying again. He just had to be reminded that the teacher he disliked the most was about to be his parent. Sasha was patting his back supportively, like the good friend she was. Y/N, on the other hand, is Vao's younger brother. Y/N is an asshole. He was laughing at Vao, already poking fun.

"Go on, Vao! Tell your stepdad how much fun you're having!"

"Shut up! Shut up, all of you! Aren't teachers supposed to be working!?"

Oobleck smiled happily. "I am so glad you are concerned about me! Progress is being made! Your wondrous mother and I have been granted the day off and we have decided to visit this museum on a date!" He cried. "Vao, I have something important to say!"

"Wot do you want, Bartholomew!?"

Oobleck paused to adjust his glasses before leaning forward, lowering his voice so only Vao could hear him. His voice slowed so the idiot could understand his words.

"On the first day you had class with me, I told you to study your history. Do you remember what your reply was?"

"N-no...?"

"You told me to, and I quote, study how to get some, ahem, bitches. Who is laughing now, young man?"

Vao raised his fists in fury, only to be stopped by Y/N. "No, calm down! He's a Huntsman! You'll get beat up!"

"You and Sasha beat my arse all the time, this will be nothing new! Lemme go! I'm gonna break his glasses! Stupid fucking nerdy cunt! I'll wipe that shit eating grin offa yer face!"

Raven scowled. "Language!"

Verde sighed, approaching the five. "Vao, please calm down. People are staring."

Vao didn't seem to care. He tugged free from Y/N's grip, flipping Oobleck off before stomping out of the museum. Y/N prayed that Vao wasn't out smashing things again. Oobleck sighed, adjusting his glasses.

"All jokes aside, I do sincerely hope he will accept me as a figure of parental guidance! Perhaps one day, in his time of need!"

Verde remembered something important, nudging Y/N and Sasha. "I am sorry for dragging you all into this museum. I have always wanted to come here, and forgot about the mission. Shall we be on our way?"

"Yeah," Sasha agreed. "I kinda figured it was about the art. Let's go." As they left, Oobleck called out to them one last time.

"When you get that chance, tell Vao that Papa Oobleck cares about him very much!"

When Y/N began snickering, Sasha glared at him. "Dude, don't. You're just looking to piss Vao off now."

"And it's hilarious, isn't it?"

"... Yeah, you're right."

As they exited the building, they found Vao sitting on the steps with a bottle in his hand. He was wiping at his eyes, sniffling every couple of seconds. Y/N patted his shoulder worriedly. "... Are you okay?"

"M-my mum is d-dating Dorkbleck... I am not f-fine..."

Y/N gave him a smile. "Well, hey! Look on the bright side! Papa Oobleck says he cares about you a lot!"

Vao screamed in fury, trying to get back inside the museum. It took all three of them to drag the little tornado of anger away from the doors, passerby watching curiously. Y/N was grateful Vao rarely used his Semblance. With a groan, the femboy gave up, following them down the street.

But as they walked, a voice called out to them from behind. A voice that stopped Verde's heart and breath. A voice that she had prayed she would never hear again.

"I've finally found you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.8K 2.9K 7
TWILIGHT// "I hope you are blessed with a heart like a wildflower. Strong enough to rise again after being trampled upon, tough enough to weather the...
12.1K 110 12
Sorry about the cover its the best one I can find. anyways William is a human who survived the great flood. in fact he is the last human alive. p.s...
623K 14K 41
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
684K 33.8K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...