The Rising of the Red Dragon...

By Setyourheartablaze16

When Issei Hyoudou comes home to find his mother with a gun pointed to her head, he is forced to make a choic... More

Chapter 1: Awakening
Chapter 2: Dungeonering
Chapter 3: Meeting with the Red Dragon
Chapter 4: And so it begins
Chapter 5: Encounter with the fallen
Chapter 6: Second to last
Chapter 7: New Allies
Chapter 8: Gremory vs The Mysterious Man
Chapter 9: The Black Princess
Chapter 10: A Date with a Fallen
Chapter 11: Punishments
Chapter 12: First Wave Strikes
Chapter 13: Holy Maiden
Chapter 14: Parental Guidance
Chapter 15: Relishing in being a cockblock
Chapter 16: Just looking out for my future wife!
Current Characters
Chapter 17: Saving Asia
Chapter 18: I am the Holy Knight, Freed Selzen!
Chapter 19: Back to school
Chapter 21: Rimuru Tempest
Chapter 22: Riser Phenex
Chapter 23: The Training Begins!
Chapter 24: Expectations of a King
Chapter 25: The Training Continues
Chapter 26: Let The Game Begin!
Chapter 27: First Blood Called! A battle of Rooks
Chapter 28: I Will Avenge You!
Chapter 29: The Wrath of Thunder!
Chapter 30: An Unexpected Opponent!
Chapter 31: The Winner Is...
Chapter 32: I Was Referring To My Servant...
Chapter 33: I choose you
Chapter 34: The Only Way Out
Chapter 35: Two Birds Before A Dragon
Chapter 36: The Embodiment Of Power (End of S1)

Chapter 20: Familiar Forest

3.3K 80 40
By Setyourheartablaze16

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!

The academy bells rang, signalling the end of the day. The sounds of chatter filled the halls of Kuoh Academy as students started making their way off campus.

But while most students made their way home, there were some who made their way in the opposite direction.

Sitting behind her desk, Sona proceeded to go through her weekly dose of paperwork.

Her queen and assistant, Tsubaki Shinra, stood by her side, organising the stack of paperwork on the desk. Passing only the most important matters onto Sona while handling the other, more menial paperwork, herself.

A knock was soon heard on the door." Come in." Sona replied, not even so much as interested to see who it was since she already knew.

The door opens and the rest of her peerage members enter the room. Saji was the first to speak as he stood in front." You called for us, president?" He inquired.

Despite his posture of assertiveness, he was quite anxious. Being the servant of a devil princess was tolerable so long as you knew how to behave yourself in your master's presence.

But for him, behaving was anything but easy. Specifically because he had feelings for the devil princess. Devils, being bound to follow their own dark desires and dragons being creatures of emotion and instinct, made it very hard for the blond to keep himself in check.

"Indeed I did. It's high time you started looking for a familiar. The portal to the familiar dimension opens once a month for a period of three days. That also happens to be tonight. You will accompany me and Tsubaki to go look for one. We'll depart at sun set.

The rest of you are to continue with your contracts. We just received another influx of the regulars so you'll all be busy until atleast midnight. You can select a contract from the pile me and Tsubaki sorted. That will be all." Sona finished.

Each of her peerage members, Tsubaki excluded nodded with a, " Yes, president!" Before proceeding to the edge of the table to go through the available contracts.

Saji, on the other hand, looked somewhat confused for a moment. Scratching the back of his head, he decided to voice his curiosity." Ah, president, what is a familiar?" He inquired.

Sona turned her gaze first to the confused boy, before looking to one of her bishops. A girl with long white hair and blue eyes." Momo, didn't I ask of you to inform Saji of the basics regarding devil-life? Why isn't he informed about familiars?" She inquired with narrowed eyes.

Momo's eyes widened in surprise as she turned to her master." Apologies president. I did inform him regarding the necessities, duties and responsibilities of the everyday devil's life. It's just..." A blush made its way onto her face as she turned her gaze downward. Her fingers starting to play with one-another from the sudden embarrassment.

"We kind of got side tracked before I could reach the part with the familiars." Momo stated. Sona looked over the eighteen year old girl and examined her from head to toe.

The blush and embarrassed demeanor. The fidgeting fingers followed with the aura if attraction. A small smirk flashed over Sona's face.' It would appear someone's fallen in love.' She thought.

"Nevermind. Saji, a familiar is a spirit. A creature that devils and other supernatul creatures make pacts with to assist us in our endeavors. They aid us in battle, research and carrying out our contracts.

Familiars, in turn for their servitude, feed off of our spiritual power. Allowing them to grow and mature. Some even evolve if their master becomes powerful enough.

Some have special abilities, which, when bonded with, will also be available to the master. Forming a pact with a familiar bounds the familiar to the soul of master. Thus if the master dies, the familiar dies.

That's about the gist of it." She finished. Saji nodded, grasping what Sona said.

They soon disperesed, each peerage member already having an assignment that they would attend to later. Saji went back home, wondering what kind of familiar he would receive.

Time passed and soon it was sun set. The time had arrived!

Within the SC room, Sona had already prepared the magic circle. And upon Saji's arrival, the three transported themselves to the familiar forest.

Appearing in a barren land, shrouded by the dark night with only the moon as light, three devils hastily made their away forward.

They arrived before the entrance to the forest. A path laid from crimson stone with only abundance of trees on either side for as far as the eyes could see. The group came to a stop. And just before Saji could question as to the reason for the halt, a voice was heard.

"I see you've come, princess of Sitri. Tell me, how can I be of service to thee?" A man appeared in the trees above. With brown hair and eyes and a backpack on his back. Dressed in knee-length brown shorts, boots and wearing a reddish brown shirt. The man appeared in his thirties and was wearing a smile upon his unshaven face.

He disappeared. Only to appear before Sona in a bow. Sona smiled while Saji looked on surprised." It's been quite a while, Satouji. I came here to seek a familiar for my servant." Sona spoke and turned to Saji.

"Saji, this is Satouji. He is the guide that will help us find a suitable familiar for you." She stated. Satouji turned and smiled at Saji." Oh, so it is for this young sir. Tell me young man, what kind of familiar would you prefer? A big one, a small one or one with blazing fur?" Satouji asked.

Saji stood sceptical at the man's words while Sona only smiled." Satouji likes talking in rhymes. So you better get use to it." Tsubaki commented.

Saji nodded and started thinking as to what all he'd like to have his familiar be like.' Since I am a pawn and I can adapt my skill set when I promote, I should probably focus on getting a familiar that has similar qualities.' He thought. After another minute of thought he nodded.

Clenching his fist he smiled." Right, I'd like a..." Though before he could finish, another voice interrupted him.

"Get him a shadow type familiar."

A familiar voice echoed over the plain. Sona turned around to the green light that appeared behind them with shock." It can't be...?" She questioned no one in particular as she recalled the voice.

When the green light faded, everyone saw the appearance of a new, yet familiar individual. Standing at a height of five foot nine, wearing a red shirt which was visible as a result of the unzipped, pitch black hoodie. A pair of blue jeans and black Jordan's. His hair, although mostly hidden by the hoodie, was slicked back with only a single crest falling down till below his left eye.

His well built posture was only further emphasized by his mighty aura.

The smile on his face clearly showing his amusement at their gawking expressions.

"Issei!? What are you doing here?" Saji exclaimed. Issei started approaching the group as he spoke." I received a quest stating that the gateway to the familiar dimension had opened up and that I was to get myself a familiar. But of course, I didn't come alone." He stated.

And as he spoke those words, four more flashes of green light appeared behind him. Four young ladies soon stepped forth from the light, each dressed in casual wear. Yet the elegance portrayed from their aura made their presence all the more alluring.

Asia, Kurohime, Eto and Kiyomi. All subordinates of the man that first stepped out of the green light. Each lady exhibited a profound aura. They went and stood behind their leader, further elevating his status before the devils.

"Mister Satouji. I understand there is a test that needs to be taken to qualify for getting a familiar?" Issei spoke to the man. Satouji nodded." Indeed, indeed. But considering your level of power, I'm sure you'll all succeed." Satouji spoke.

The test soon began. Each individual of Issei's group had to showcase their power. This was to show that they held the potential to be a familiar's master and are capable of subjugating one of the forest's many creatures.

Issei made a scorching hot flame appear in his balm. Asia showcased her healing prowess. Kurohime merely revealed her tails. They spoke of her power loud and clear. Eto released her demonic aura and Kiyomi released a pulse of mana from her feat, shattering the ground she stood upon.

Satouji was pleased, but still made it know that he could only attend to one group, less they decide to join up with Sona, which the devil princess agreed to.

"Issei, earlier you spoke of getting Saji a shadow type familiar. Mind elaborating?" Sona questioned. Issei nodded." Saji's sacred gear is one of the five Vritra sacred gears. Each possessing a soul fragment of the dragon king Vritra. Vritra is a shadow dragon and his sacred gear has granted Saji a lesser shadow affinity.

Getting a shadow type familiar who would be greatly compatible with Saji's affinity, might grant him access to a unique set of skills that are within his capabilities. Furthermore he will gain experience in handling shadow magic and in doing so will also gain greater understanding of his own sacred gear." Issei finished.

Even though Saji didn't understand much of what was said, he saw Sona nod in agreement and realized that what Issei said might be true.

With that said, they went off to go look for a rare bread of shadow familiars. The Phantom Spirit. Its powers of concealment were unmatched in the forest and could grant its master access to a wide variety of shadow techniques.

Upon arriving in the hollow woods, where the Phantom resided, Issei was quick to activate his [Mana perception] skill.

"If this thing is so great at concealing itself, wouldn't your eyes be worthless?" Saji inquired. But Issei shook his head." If its cloaking itself with mana then I'll see it. If its hiding itself within a subspace then I'll still see the mana that's pouring out." Issei replied.

Saji frowned." Then wouldn't that mean that others can locate my presence if I was to use the same technique?" He stated his concerns. But Issei shook hus head in denial." There aren't many beings out there who can perceive mana. Its an ability unique to a few races and divine entities. So your chances that you'll run into such a being is quite minimal.

And before you ask, I have gained the ability from continuously having my body altered by mana. So I'm an exception. But otherwise you should be okay." Issei finished.

Sona looked on at the two boys who conversed with one another before turning to the girls that followed behind Issei." You all seem quite close to Issei. I was quite surprised when I heard he had servants. Especially feminine ones. Tell me. How did he recruits you all if you don't mind me asking?" Sona inquired.

'Whether it's his power at work or something else, for these servants to be so attached to him, honouring him like some prince, seems a bit unnatural. Especially considering his perverse nature.' She thought.

Kurohime was the first to speak as she was closest to Sona." Our master is a man you couldn't quite begin to understand, miss Sitri. To most of Kuoh Academy he's known for being a pervert. But outside of school, he is a completely different being. Much like yourself." She spoke as she smiled while looking at her master's back before turning back to look at Kuoh as she spoke her last sentence.

Sona, who looked at her, turned her gaze towards Issei." He's a different being? Then would you mind telling me what he's like?" Sona looked towards the kitsune with a look of curiosity.

"Why?" Kurohime wasn't at all sure she could trust the devils. Especially when they are probing for information. But Sona already had an answer in store." I am curious. We tried recruiting him. Offered him everything he desired. Yet he still refused. To top it off, I found out my partner angered him to some extent. Knowing what he is like as a person might help us improve our relationship with him." She replied.

Kurohime looked towards her master, then towards her fellow servants. Each of them had their own reaction to this.

'Don't you tell that bitch a thing about master. They might use the info against him.' Kiyomi spoke telepathically through their link.

'I don't sense any hostility and the winds of truth didn't manifest. She speaks the truth.' Kurohime replied.

'I don't know what's the problem, but shouldn't we ask Issei if it's okay to talk about him?' Asia asked.

'I agree with Asia. We must ask master first. We are his servants after all.' Eto replied.

'There's no need to fret. Kurohime, tell Sona everything she would like to hear. I permit it.' Issei's voice suddenly entered the link. Everyone looked forward at his back before their attention slowly turned back to Sona.

"Were to begin...I guess I could say master is a righteous man." Kurohime finally replied, to Sona's relief. She focused her attention on Kurohime and every word she spoke.

"He hates injustice and wickedness. That's ultimately why he hunted down those demonic possessed creatures and why he is mad at you guys now. In his eyes, you were suppose to be the overseers of Kuoh. You were suppose to protect it. And yet, it was because of you that it was almost destroyed.

You blew up his home and nearly killed his mother. For that alone he probably should have killed you guys but he decided not to. Simply because he found you worth more alive an in his debt than dead and useless.

I was the first person he saved. And among the few victims that survived an encounter with the beasts you created. At the time, I was only focused on my pain and how badly it hurt. But when it was all over I remembered him. My savior. He took up the responsibility which was yours to begin with and even apologised to my family for the mess you people made.

I followed him afterward and saw what he did. He would go and destroy the dens of those creatures that roamed the land. Each location would bare creatures even more horrific than the last. Each time I could feels his anger and distaste increase towards you people.

He saw the carnage your presence in Kuoh had brought about. And he wasn't happy. He saw what the demonic energy did to the humans, turning them into mutants and ghouls. Which only led to more killings and death.

He ultimately found it funny how no one remembered their siblings, children and or parents going missing after they were killed by a stray. But then he found out you people erased the memories of all those who knew the victim. Like criminals covering up their tracks.

Master was furious.

He saved the mutants, cured the ghouls, purified the land of demonic presences and stopped the wave of catastrophe which you devils set in motion.

If you wish to understand why he hates you people, then look no further. You have your answer. Master considers you and the red head threats towards the safety of his people. Though he is more lenient towards you since he deems your intellect allows you to distinct from doing things that are harmful towards his people, unlike the red head.

As for us and our loyalty towards him, well, he is our savior. Each one of us were in a bad place, and he saved us.

I was a slave who was sold by a slave merchant. My slave brand would forever keep me a slave. Yet he gave me freedom. He tore off the mark that restrained me and cured me of my illness.

Kiyomi was a mutant and a ghoul. She fed on human flesh to sustain herself. She killed quite a few young men with her looks. Until she ran into master. He turned her back into a human and gave her a new reason to live.

Eto was the servant of the demon who master had slain. As per the soul contract of the demon residing within her, she was to become the servant of whoever killed her master. She became master's first servant.

Asia was led to Kuoh by the fallen who were intent on stealing her sacred gear. When she first got here, it was Issei who gave her food, shelter and clothing. He was the one who looked out for her and later, it was him who saved her from the fallen. He accepted her into his family and she accepted him as her master.

In each of our cases, it was not Issei who subjugated us, but we who followed him and requested that he make us his servants. And if not for Eto's soul contract, he might never have entertained the thought of taking on servants.

We were drawn to him by his kind and caring nature. A man who saved people. Not out of a sense of duty. But simply because he had the power to do so. That's the kind of person he is.

But at the same time he can be quite delusional. Thinking he, on his own, could bare the burden of protecting humanity and saving the populace from the apocalypse.

But then again, his delusional dreams are what inspired us to follow him even more." Kurohime finished. A smile spread across her face as she looked at her master's back.

Sona was quite surprised by her words. She couldn't deny that she and Rias were responsible for the mess with the mutants and demons. But nevertheless, she didn't expect for Issei to have such loyal servants.

'Guess I was wrong.' She thought as she also gazed at his back. Having thought that his sudden influx of servants were also a result of his power.' Perhaps I was to focused on his perverted nature. Thinking that he would use his power to gather women for his own pleasure...' She thought as a smile crossed her face.

'At the end of the day, you were nothing like Rizer.'

            -----------------------------
A few minutes later Issei came to a stop. His outstretched hand preventing Saji and Satouji from passing him. Forcing everyone to come to a stop.

"Do you see something?" Satouji whispered. Issei nodded in response. A smile spread across his face as his shining blue eyes locked onto a spot in a hollow tree's shadow where space seemed to be distorted and mana leaked out.

He narrowed his eyes as they turned azure. Allowing him to fully gaze into the subspace. There, sleeping ever peacefully, resided the Phantom. It was black, yet transparent like a ghost. Meanwhile its appearance was like a crow's.

Issei pointed toward the spot around the tree where the creature resided." It's resting in a subspace. Saji this is your chance. I'll point out its location. Capture it with the use of your sacred gear. Afterward, try channeling your power into it." Issei whispered.

Sona rose a brow at Issei's words.' Why would he channel power into a creature he's trying to catch?'. Saji looked over at Issei and nodded. His sacred gear appeared on the back of his right hand. Seemingly looking like a purple frog.

Issei nodded and started moving towards the tree. His footsteps vanished in sound. His sent vanished and. His presence entirely vanished as not even his mana could be felt.

Sona's eyes widened along with Satouji and Tsubaki. Kurohime smiled at her master's display of skill. These were the only ones who could sense the sudden change that Issei underwent. Eto could also but since she wasn't channeling any of her demonic power, her senses weren't up to par.

Issei went and stood before the tree, his hand rose, with his index finger pointing to the area where the space was distorted. He turned to Saji and nodded.

Saji, in turn, shot forth his arm. A pale tongue came from the frog's mouth. It passed over Issei's outstretched finger, pacing into the subspace and entangling the phantom.

The creature was abruptly awoken. It released shrieks of surprise and anger as it tried to escape its entangled prison. But suddenly, almost as soon as it started struggling, it stopped.

The on lookers looked surprised at the bird's sudden passive behaviour. Only those with heightened senses noticed what made the bird calm down.

Mana was flowing out of Saji, through the sacred gear and its tongue, to the phantom. The purple energy enveloped the crow-like creature. It, in response, started feeding on the mana. Chirping every once and a while.

Issei smiled and turned to Saji." You can let it go now. I doubt it'll consider flying away." Issei spoke. Saji nodded. He looked at the bird a bit hesitant, yet still decided to let the bird go. The tongue untied itself and as soon as it did, the bird flew down and came to a stop on Saji's head.

Saji looked perplexed at the bird whom suddenly decided to turn his head into its nest." Okay, how do I make a contract with it?" He inquired to no one in particular.

The rest who watched on were once again surprised. Satouji looked at Issei surprised as he finally understood.' This boy is smart. Using the phantom's love for shadow mana to tempt its heart. Giving it a sense of need. How smart indeed.' He thought.

Sona had similar thoughts but shoved them to the back of her mind as she told Saji how to form the contract.

A bit of magic with an incantation later and Saji had himself a phantom familiar.

This meant that Sona's group had finished their purpose in the forest. They left soon after.

Satouji turned to Issei after saying his farewell to Sona." Onto you, kind sir. Tell me all your wants and desires. Do you want a strong one? A fast one? Or one that likes to set fires?" The guide inquired.

Issei, in response, shook his head and pointed to the ladies." Let us tend to the ladies first. Their familiars will be far harder to catch than mine. Plus I am in no rush. I have lots of time." He spoke in a rhyming manner similar to Satouji, who in turn only chuckled.

"Yes, fine, so it shall be. Who will be the first to get a familiar from me?" Satouji asked as he turned his attention to the girls.

The girls turned to each other before pointing at each other. They soon started bickering, each trying to nominate a person they thought should go first. It finally ended with Asia being the one nominated.

Satouji looked at Asia as she stepped forward.' A virgin with a pure holy aura. One who is humble and meak. I wonder, what familiar does she seek?'

"Ah, hello mister Satouji. I honestly don't know what kind of familiar I'd like. But I would very much prefer a cute one." She spoke shyly.

Satouji nodded." I hear you missy. I hear your plea. I'll get you one that's strong and cute. One that will not flee!" He stated with utmost confidence.

He was just about to guide them to the resting place of such a familiar he had described, when Issei spoke up." Mister Satouji, there is no need to seek. Let's get a dragon for the one most humble and meek." Issei spoke.

He was standing next to Asia, patting her on the head with a radiant smile on both their faces. Though Asia's was soon confused when Issei said dragon. And she wasn't the only one.

Satouji turned to Issei sceptical." A dragon you suggest? My kind sir, surely you jest?" He inquired. But Issei nodded." I'm sure you've felt her aura of chaste and purity. Would it come as a surprise if I said she has a dragon affinity?" Issei replied.

Satouji's eyes widened to the size of saucers." A dragon affinity you say!? In that case, I shall lead the way!" And with that, Satouji started leading the to a different part of the forest.

Asia on the other hand was confused." Issei, what is a dragon affinity?" She inquired. The rest of the girls also listened in as they also wished to know.

Issei hummed." Dragons are extremely attracted towards people who are pure of heart, religious and chaste. Usually we refer to such people as people possessing a dragon affinity. Basically what it does is make any dragon you come across take a liking to you and makes them more eager to follow you around and obey your commands.

Those with dragon affinities have the potential to become dragon tamers." Issei explained.

Asia, and the rest of the ladies, where quite surprised when they heard this. Kurohime was the first to speak up after this revelation." But I thought a dragon affinity granted people access to dragon type magic?"

Issei responded with a shake of head as he looked at her." That's a dragonic affinity you are referring to. And its only accessible to those who are dragon descendents or have been blessed with a dragon's soul. Those with dragonic affinities bare the potential to become dragon slayers. And they are also as affected to a dragon affinity as dragons are.

Which is one if the reasons why I am so fond of Asia. I ám part dragon after all." Issei concluded." What? Issei is a dragon?" Asia awed. Issei nodded." Indeed I am."

This made little Asia smile. The thought of having a dragon familiar excited her now.

And so it was that Asia came across a blue lightning dragon, who she named Raisei, after Issei.

Moving onto the rest of the ladies, Eto got a little bat. Kiyomi caught a white snake. And lastly, Kurohime received a crimson fox spirit.

Having dealt with all the ladies, Satouji turned to Issei." Now, sir, without further a due, what familiar do you desire for you?" He asked.

Issei looked at the man, before turning back to the image of the girls playing with their familiars. Issei hummed after a minute of thought." Which creature in the forest is the weakest?" Issei asked.

Satouji was caught of guard with this question. But nevertheless answered the question." That would be the slime. But they can also grow into quite the nasty creatures, given enough time." He responded.

Issei nodded, a smirk making its way onto his face. His words carrying a sense of amusement as he spoke." Then the slime it shall be. Let's see if it is the one for me!"

    ---------------------------------------------
Author's note: sorry for the late update. Life's been kind of hectic lately. Not to mention the exams already around the corner. But I'll try to update the next by the end of the week. Chao!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 4.2K 49
This a story of Issei's early awakening after his parents are tragically murdered when he was only 11 years old. Once he awakens, he promises his par...
6.3K 152 9
This story tells the point of view of Shidou Hyoudou, the adoptive brother of Issei Hyoudou. Everything followed normally until one day his brother h...
63K 856 18
Y/N L/N, fiancee to Serafall Leviathan and overall powerful being. Rias Gremory, heir to the House of Gremory and in a relationship with the Red Drag...
14.4K 434 5
What does happen, when you are abandoned by your only helping hand? It would break anyone right. It does, for an unfortunate individual. That went b...