A Treasure Beyond Compare (Th...

ValinorsTwilight tarafından

A down on her luck adjunct professor living through the pandemic has a strange encounter with a wizard and fi... Daha Fazla

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 17

392 16 56
ValinorsTwilight tarafından

There was nowhere to run from the pursuing orc pack. They were trapped on the edge of a cliff, night a dark cloak over the valley. Thorin scrambled up into the boughs of a dying red pine tree. His foot narrowly missed being chomped off by a Warg's sharp teeth.

Bark scraped Thorn's palms as he clawed his way up to the highest point he could reach. He lay Adelaide carefully on the thickest point of the tree limb where she wouldn't fall. The branch creaked beneath his additional weight but held. He rested his back against the trunk of the tree, trying to catch his breath.

How had the orcs found them so quickly? The Goblin King's message could not have reached the creatures so quickly.

Thorin's stomach plummeted in sharp realization. Not unless the orcs were somewhere nearby, and the Goblin King knew it. A clever trap had been laid for the Company.

A pinecone dropped into his hands from above, burning with the wizard's magic. He hurled the projectile with perfect aim, knocking an orc right off the back of a Warg. The other dwarves threw the makeshift weapons, forcing the Orcs to circle in frustration at a distance. Fire spread across the grass, leaping from tree to tree, quickly turning into an inferno.

From the dancing flames a white Warg emerged, a familiar apparition perched on its back with a smug grin.

Thorin's eyes bulged in disbelief. He slapped a branch aside. "Azog."

The orc leader gave him a taunting grin, the flickering fire highlighting the deep-pitted scars over the creature's face and body. His left arm was a stump, a metal rake plunged through the flesh in a mockery of a limb.

A shuddering breath went through Thorin. He tore his gaze away from his old enemy and looked down at Adelaide for a moment. Then he picked her up and tossed her up to Dwalin who draped her over his shoulder.

Anger washed over him like water over stone. Thorin drew his sword and ran toward his enemy propelled by rage. Azog would die for good this time. He'd see to that.

OoO

"Azog." Thorin's shocked gasp penetrated the veil of darkness covering Adelaide. At least she thought it was Thorin speaking. The world flashed at her in disjointed images, Everything hazy and indistinct.

Balls of fire flying through the night. A Warg with razor sharp teeth, jaws open wide. A silver blade in the heart of an inferno. Thorin being thrown toward the edge of a cliff. Bilbo dashing to his rescue.

Mouth glued shut, Adelaide was unable to cry out a warning as a snow-white Warg prowled toward Thorin's still form. She wasn't sure if this was a nightmare or reality. Nothing made sense in the in-between state she existed in.

The hair-raising screech of a predator bird sliced across her nerves. Then she was falling, falling back into that sweet dark, the wind rushing out to embrace her.

OoO

Bilbo clung to the back of the giant eagle, the delicate soft feathers ruffling all around him. To the right, the sun rose gloriously beautiful into a pink and orange-streaked sky. Even when fleeing for his life, the sight of the sun breaking over the mountains stole his breath away.

Adelaide lay unconscious beside him, streamers of wind tugging at loose strands of her hair that had escaped her braid.

Bilbo's brow wrinkled in worry. The orc pack would follow of that he had no doubt.

Ahead Thorin was clutched in the talons of another eagle, unconscious from his ordeal. Every member of the Company was battered and bruised. Every single inch of Bilbo's body ached from his tumble into Gollum's cave and the run from the mountains.

Bilbo was grateful for the timely intervention of the eagles. The entire flight swooped into a beautiful green valley landing on top of a tall stone formation thrusting up into the sky like a finger. Veils of water drifted down the valley walls into a lake below.

A truly stunning bit of wilderness that caused a sharp ache for home in Bilbo's chest. He missed sitting in his garden indulging in a bit of West Farthing weed while looking over the sun-drenched valley. A veil of morning mist drifting over the long grass. The heads of wildflowers bobbing lazily in a playful breeze.

Closing his eyes, Bilbo allowed himself to imagine the Shire in all its peace and simplicity. Only for a moment. Yes, only for a moment.

Bilbo's eagle landed gently on the rock formation alongside the others. He grabbed Adelaide beneath her arms, grunting as he pulled her to the ground. Humans were heavier than hobbits, but he managed to summon up a small burst of strength to lay her out.

He collapsed beside her panting.

Bilbo wiped the sweat from his face with the sleeve of his jacket. This is a situation where he deeply missed the presence of his handkerchief.

Shivers raced up and down his limbs as he finally allowed himself to process the events of the last few day. He'd faced down Azog and survived. Somehow, he'd survived.

Bilbo rubbed a hand over his face, grimacing at the dirt streaking his palm. And his nails were filthy!

"Thorin! Gandalf!" One of the dwarves cried urgently and the wizard hurried to kneel beside the dwarf lord's side.

Despite Bilbo's intervention, Thorin was still badly injured. His innards twisted with guilt to see the leader so battered.

Bilbo patted the pocket of his jacket, a surge of relief rushing through him when he felt the hard circle of metal beneath the velvet. The ring was still there. The ring he stole from Gollum. Precious. The creature had called it. There was a certain intoxicating beauty about the ring.

Like savoring a sweet butterscotch until the hard candy melted completely on his tongue and reaching into his pouch for another golden drop and another and another until his questing fingers fumbled around in an empty bag. A sharp craving for more.

Bilbo watched the eagles depart with regret wondering why they could not take them to Erebor. They would assuredly arrive at the Lonely Mountain much faster.

A gust of cold air curled around Bilbo, lifting his hair. Dropping his gaze from the eagles he knelt beside Adelaide to wait until Gandalf finished tending to Thorin. His former housekeeper still had not regained consciousness and he worried how badly she might have been injured when they fell into the goblin tunnels.

OoO

Waving a hand over Thorin's face, Gandalf closed his eyes and muttered a spell. The dwarf lord stirred, blinking his eyes slowly. "Gandalf." His voice held a note of confusion then his gaze cleared. "The hobbit?"

"Bilbo's alright. He's here." Gandalf assured him with a faint smile.

Thorin pushed himself up into a sitting position. "What of my scribe?" He brushed a hank of dark hair over his shoulder. "How does Adelaide fare?"

Gandalf frowned. "Still unconscious."

Thorin's concern for the woman was obvious. "Is there nothing to be done?"

"Perhaps." Gandalf climbed to his feet and glided over to the unconscious woman.

Oin was preparing a makeshift splint for Adelaide's broken wrist. He'd already applied an unguent to her cuts and scrapes. "I can only do so much." The stout dwarf grunted as he secured the splint around her wrist. "The rest will have to be up to you, Gandalf."

Laying his staff on the ground, Gandalf scanned Adelaide with his magic. His eyes widened when the smallest spark of power flickered the life in response to his spell. "Interesting."

Bilbo and Oin looked at Gandalf, puzzled by his reaction.

Gandalf did not explain. He had suspected for some time there was something unique about the woman. Now he understood. He poked at the hidden power within Adelaide, and it unfurled like a flower bud starting to bloom.

Gandalf fed the bloom some of his power, encouraging it to grow and to heal. He passed his hand over her face, but she remained insentient.

"Gandalf? Is she going to be alright?" Bilbo prodded, desperate for an answer.

"That is entirely up to her, Master Baggins." Gandalf said, adjusting the voluminous sleeves of his robe. He picked up his staff. "Now, we must depart, the orcs will follow."

OoO

In the valley below, Kili and Fili cut branches to build a litter to carry Adelaide. Somehow Adelaide's pack had survived and was still strapped to her back. Inside, they found a rolled-up blanket and decided to use it for the litter.

They lashed the branches together using twine Oin kept in one of his numerous pockets.

Thorin stood aways off with his back to the brothers, his hands clasped behind his back. The others had scattered to scavenge what supplies they could from their surroundings.

Fili's lips were pursed. Kili's older brother only got that brooding expression when he was troubled by something. "What ails you, Fili?"

Fili shook out the blanket and draped it over the wood frame. "Thorin has...been attentive of late to the scribe, has he not?"

Kili shrugged. "Our uncle is a bit rough around the edges, but he has a good heart. I am glad he no longer holds animosity towards Adelaide."

Fili grunted, listening.

Kili used a knife from his boot to dig holes into the edges of the blanket to slip the twine through. "She's a bit odd for a maid. It oft seems to me her mind is far afield."

"Thorin does not seem to mind her eccentricities." Fili commented.

"Well, her comely face no doubt has softened our uncle's harsh opinion of her." Kili declared with a wink.

Fili did not return the gesture. He set down his side of the litter. "Her secrecy concerns me."

"Secrecy?"

"Surely, you have noticed her reluctance to share tales of herself. We know not where she hails from."

Kili shook his head slowly. "What are you saying?"

He liked Adelaide. She was a kind woman. Rare to smile, true but when she did, she lit up a room.

"I have been watching the lass closely. Tis almost as if she had foreknowledge of our quest. There are times when she seems to be expecting something before it happens." Fili said.

"Fili, why are you saying this? I thought you liked her." Kili said with a disbelieving smile.

"I don't know." Fili returned to working on his side of the litter. "Perhaps it is nothing, but my instincts warn she is hiding something."

Kili absorbed what his brother was saying. Adelaide was secretive. However, he did not think there was anything nefarious behind her behavior. She was simply a quiet person. He saw nothing wrong with that.

"Why don't you ask, Gandalf?" Kili suggested.

Fili held his gaze, blue eyes serious. "I shall ask her myself when she wakes."

Kili was not so optimistic about the forthcoming interrogation. Adelaide had the tendency to lash out when she felt backed into a corner. He shivered recalling the way her eyes flashes and her cheeks flushed red in anger.

Still, t'would be nice to know more about the scribe then the scraps of information she deigned to give them on the occasion a member of the company pressed her to speak.

As for the undercurrent everyone sensed between Adelaide and Thorin, well, they were all interested in how that would develop.

Kili should not meddle. He tied the last bit of twine securely and smiled. At least not too much.

OoO

The camp was quiet, all the members of the company sound asleep, save one. Thorin perched on a fallen log, smoking his pipe while staring into the gently smoldering fire. He knew not why sleep eluded him. Exhaustion pressed against his shoulders and his eyes were gritty with fatigue.

The battle with Azog circled through his mind. He saw so clearly the mistake he made charging the orc in anger. Thorin knew better. One must always approach a battle with a cool head.

Thorin shook his head and put out his pipe. One look at Azog and he snapped. Deep in his soul he knew there would be a reckoning between them before it was all done.

Rubbing his hands together, Thorin decided to do a circuit of the campsite. He listened carefully to his surroundings only picking up the normal nighttime sounds of the forest. Inhaling the crisp air deeply, Thorin came to a stop in front of Adelaide.

He dropped to a knee beside her and smoothed a lock of hair from her temple. The fire illuminated her delicate features in quiet repose. Thorin traced the curve of her cheek with a broad finger. "Rest well, my scribe...and arise in the morning."

A/N:Well...here it is. Not my best work. I admit I did not enjoy writing this chapter. I hate Azog and I hate the scene on the cliff. I don't know why the multi-povs...it just came out this way. 

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

21.6K 659 31
🥇#1 in Thorin 4/10/2024 The reader joins the company on the quest to reclaim the dwarven homeland of Erebor. It becomes much more problematic than...
521K 16.9K 44
Bellethiel is a she-elf who has lived a long life. Along with this life has come many trials and suffering. She has a dark and mysterious past that i...
3.4K 131 33
sanaraheel789 POV. Hello Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit fans, this is my first time writing. I have watched both the movies trilogy. The Hobbit is my...
121K 4.5K 141
I do not own The Hobbit or LOTR. The Hobbit is what I based this story off of. A Thorin Oakenshield x OC you might really enjoy like I do, and I wrot...