Between Blood and Honor (AU V...

By YoungLadyKei

[An AU crossover fanfiction of Vincenzo and DOTS] She just wanted to inherit the company of her father and li... More

00
01 Beginning
02 Chaotic
03 Deadly

04 Suffocating

204 16 3
By YoungLadyKei

Chapter 4

Click.

The gun has no bullet.

The single light stopped from flickering and the whole rooftop was enveloped in darkness. We were silent for a while. As I observed him earlier, I noticed that he didn't even flinch when I pulled the trigger. I know that he might know guns better than me but still, I deserve to see some reactions or emotions—perhaps, I want to see him tremble under my death glare. But I expected too much, he is an elite soldier after all. He knows fear better than anyone else and I guess he already faced death but he was able to escape from its grasp. I loosened my grip on the handle of the gun.

“Did you think that I wouldn't kill you?” I asked. The gun was still on the back of his head but unlike earlier, I was pointing it at him playfully and only my left hand was holding it. 

“I knew that you wouldn't kill me. You wouldn't commit a murder at the rooftop of this public place, would you?” I nodded even though he couldn't see my response. He has a point though.

“But I am ready to load this gun with ammos if you still can’t answer my question,” I stated. I looked back at my Lady Dior bag, beside it was a can of beer and I shook my head in disappointment.  I was carried away by my emotions and I didn't realize that I dropped it on the dirty ground. I received no response from him. I was about to pick-up my bag but he suddenly spoke.

“I am still a member of the special forces. I was about to go on a mission abroad but my superior gave me this task. I was hesitant at first because I know that I am not suitable for this job and my expertise is much needed in the battlefield but they told me that it's an important mission. Guarding you is an important mission. As for the other questions, I don't have an answer yet and for the record—” I was taken aback when he suddenly stood up, turned to me and snatched my gun from my left hand. My eyes widened when I realized that he was too close to me and the only thing that gave us space was the bench. I stepped back but it was too late when I realized that I might step on the can of beer or on my Lady Dior bag.

And I stepped on the can of beer. I am no weakling and I expected that I might fall so I was ready to balance myself when suddenly, Yoo Si Jin grabbed my hand and pulled me close to him. I fell right into his chest. I gritted my teeth when I felt the hard bench on my knees. Damn this bastard.

It was an unnecessary move but it saved me from falling but—it was really unnecessary. 

“S-Sorry. You were about to fall and—” I cut him off by pushing him. I stepped aside because I already learned by lesson and so that I wouldn't be close to him. The flickering light glowed again. I looked at Yoo Si Jin. He was looking at me with an apologetic look. I crossed my arms over my chest. 

“I’m sorry.”

“You were about to say something earlier. For the record, what?” I asked him. He was not able to continue his sentence because of his unnecessary stunt. I want to roll my eyes heavenwards. 

He scratched his nape. “And for the record, I didn't lie. My superior was the one who gave my personal information to the Jangs and your parents. I decided not to say anything because I realized that it is the right thing to do.” He became serious. “But please know that I will not lie and I will not betray you. But it's unfortunate that my loyalty will not be to you because I am bound to follow the Jangs. But rest assured that if you tell me not to speak anything to them, I will not speak anything.” I sneered. He was indirectly saying that I shouldn't trust him.

“That’s a ridiculous statement coming from a soldier who’s loyalty shall only be to his country. I don't need your loyalty, Yoo Si Jin. I’m sure you’re just one of the pawns of Jangs, and they will discard you if they can’t squeeze anything from you about me. So, continue on being loyal to them,” I coldly said. I made sure that he could see me glaring at him. I hate him. I hate everyone. I turned my back on him.

“Let’s go. Bring my bag and don’t forget to wear the disguise.” I didn't wait for him to respond. In the corner of my eye, I saw a slight movement at the dark corner of the rooftop. I shook my head and decided not to inquire about it.

***

“You will attend the party together with your bodyguard. Han Seok also requested for your presence. If possible, he would escort you to the party.” I looked at the gold elegant name engrave in the front cover of the invitation card. If my memory serves me right, this name is one of the partners of Hong. My family became their partner because of Yu Haehan. I looked at my father. He was talking to me but his sole attention was focus on the piece of paper he was holding. His forehead creased as he continues to read the content of the paper. I was about to say something but I decided not to speak. Truthfully, I don't want to go to the party. I may want power but I still want peace for now especially when I just confronted someone and it gives me a headache whenever I think of what may happen in the future.

It's been 3 days since I talked to Yoo Si Jin. I still don't want to talk to him, especially since he has already declared his full loyalty to the Jangs. 

“Cha-young?” 

My attention immediately returned to my father. He was already looking at me, perhaps, he had already finished reading the document. He put down the piece of paper on his desk and leaned on the head rest of his swivel chair.

“You will soon be the owner of this company so it's a good idea to socialize with people who are involved in the business world. If you want to succeed, you need to make a relationship and connection,” he said. He might have seen the hesitation on my face. It's okay for me to attend the party—I’m used to playing in front of those hungry wolves a.k.a business owners—but I am tired right now. But I don't have any choice, do I?

“I will gladly attend the gathering, father,” I stated. He nodded in satisfaction. I looked at the picture frames behind him. I noticed that he removed all of the pictures of my mother. 

Or maybe, Yu Haehan was the one who removed it. 

I was about to ask him regarding the pictures when I heard the door open. I rolled my eyes heavenwards. I don't have to check who it is, because I know very well who’s the person that enters my father’s office without knocking.

“Oh dear, am I interrupting you two?” I gritted my teeth when I heard her sweet annoying voice. She walked towards us—the sound of her high heels echoed on the whole room. When I felt her presence behind me, I spoke.

“Father, I’m going now,” I said. I didn't wait for his response and turned around. Yu Haehan stopped walking.

“Cha-young-ah,” she said while wearing a sweet smile. We were standing face-to-face and it seems like we’re having some face off. She’s looking at me with her head held high. “It seems like you’re not in a mood these past few days. You seldom talk to me, dear,” she softly said.

Should I report my every move to you?’ I stopped myself from asking that. I smiled. “I’m not feeling well. Now, if you excuse me, I must go.” I didn't wait for her to speak. I started walking towards the door. 

“Dear, you’ll meet Han Seok this week. You will choose your wedding cake and after that, invite him to our house.” I froze. I didn't look back. It would be a waste to look at her. I continued walking and decided not to answer her. I opened the door and walked out of the room. I decided to look at my father one last time—I was shocked when I saw him looking at me intently. I closed the door and loudly sigh.

My father’s office is suffocating.

***

What I saw in front of my room made my eyebrows raise. Yoo Si Jin was talking to Shin Hye with full enthusiasm. Shin Hye, on the other hand, was smiling shyly. I smirked when she suddenly tucked her hair behind her ear just like a shy highschool girl talking to the heartthrob of the school. It was a magnificent sight. Shin Hye doesn't talk too much and she’s only interested in her piano. I even thought that Shin Hye would marry her grand piano if possible.

“Cha-young.” I looked at Shin Hye when I heard her call my name. She stepped back after realizing that I saw her talking shyly to my bodyguard. I walked towards her. 

“Do you need anything?” I asked her.

“Uhm—” she played with her fingers, “mother told me that you will attend a party on Wednesday. I’m here to ask you if I can come with you?” As she spoke, her voice became weak. Shin Hye was a shy girl. She never ties her hair because she uses it to hide her beautiful face. She’s always silent and afraid to start a conversation with anyone. She’s only confident whenever she’s playing with her piano. Actually, she’s quite the opposite with her mother. Well, my father is quite nice so I think she got her behavior from him.

“Yeah. You can join me,” I answered her. She looked at me. 

“Thank you, Cha-young. I’ll go now. Thank you,” she said. She smiled at me and I smiled back at her. She was hesitating whether she will excuse herself from Yoo Si Jin but she decided not to talk to him. She nodded her head towards me and walked towards the stairs. I turned to Yoo Si Jin. He was looking at me, unsure of what to do.

It's been three days since the confrontation and I am still not talking to him. I did not give him a task and I did everything on my own. He tried to talk to me once but I ignored him. Well, it was quite childish and given that I was the one who pointed the gun at him, I have the audacity to be angry. But I think I have the right to ignore him. After telling me that his loyalty lies with Jangs, he disappointed me. And he indirectly told me that he will betray me someday.

I was about to walk past him when he spoke.

“Miss Cha-young, can we go outside later?” he asked. My forehead creased. I didn't want to answer him so I grabbed the doorknob.

“Please.” I stopped. 

“What for? I’m quite busy. I don’t have time to relax,” I said and turned the doorknob. I opened the door and stepped inside of my room. I didn't look at Yoo Si Jin and I straight up closed the door. I walked towards my table. The silence inside my room was quite deafening. I deeply sigh and put the invitation on the desk. I sat on my swivel chair and leaned on the head rest. Everything that happens to me everyday drains me. I feel like I am all alone fighting for my life in this house. Although I have Myung-ju, she's not staying here. She rarely visits, especially now that she’s busy with her company. 

I looked at the folder on my table. I picked it up and opened it. It was the financial statement of my father’s company. His assistant must have delivered this to me. The company is all good, I don't need to think anything about it for now. I put it down after checking the details. What should I do now? Truth to be told, I don't have anything to do and that's quite suspicious. 

I opened the drawer under my desk when I remembered something. Yu Haehan said earlier that I am going to meet with Han Seok. Last time, when his family went there, they asked me where the ring was given to me by Han Seok. I don't wear it because it's uncomfortable. But I have to wear it now so that they will not be suspicious of me.

I looked at the silver ring with a tiny royal blue gem. I was about to pick it up when I noticed the small black box beside it. There were gold vines painted around it. At the top of the box was an elegant calligraphy, written using gold ink. 

Sei la mia vita.’ 

I ignored the ring and picked up the box instead. I held and opened it carefully. I smiled when I saw the silver brooch with a dove design. The dove has a rose on its beak. Dove symbolizes eternal love. In Greek mythology, it was considered as one of the sacred animals and often relates to the goddess of love. 

Should I wear this brooch to the party?

***

Jang Han Seok failed to escort me to the party because he had a meeting with the investors. He will come to the party but he will be late so he decided not to go with me. He called many times to apologize—that annoying guy. Tsk. It's good that he’s not with me because I can freely roam around the hall. 

There were a lot of people in their best attire—the men wore their suits and ties and the women were all wearing elegant and expensive dresses. I was wearing a black ruched crossover dress with the dove design brooch on my left chest, paired with crystal-embellished pumps. I actually didn't put much effort on my clothing—I just think that anything is okay as long as it's presentable and comfortable.  

I looked around to check where Shin Hye was. I was with her earlier but she saw her friend from her piano lesson so she decided to go with her. I allowed her as long as she stayed inside of the hall. Now, I lost her from my sight because I was talking with one of our business partners. I already greeted all of the important people so I don't have to worry anymore. I just have to find Shin Hye now.

The hall was dimly lit, and there were a lot of tables and chairs with white cloth on it. Everyone was chattering— they were talking about their successful business, their next investment, the most expensive bag they bought, and other unnecessary topics that may help keep a conversation going. 

“Miss Hong? Cha-young?” I turned to the person who called me. It was my mother’s friend.

“Madam Lee,” I smiled at her. Madam Lee was a middle-aged woman, she’s a lawyer and a business woman. She’s friend with my mother when she was still alive. I can say that Madam Lee was one of the good friends of my mother. 

“I told you to call me Aunt, Cha-young-ah. It's good to see you here,” she said. She walked towards me and gave me a hug. I can't help but smile and hug her back. She’s the one who let go from the hug. 

“I’m sorry I can’t visit you. I’m quite busy with my job but I promise to visit you soon, lovely,” she stated.

“It’s okay, Aunt. I will just visit you in your office,” I said. 

“Oh, you're welcome in my office, lovely. You can go to me anytime. By the way, I heard about him—” Madam Lee stopped when her phone rang. She looked at her phone as her eyebrow raised. I took a sideways glance to the entrance and I saw Yoo Si Jin looking at me. 

Yes, I am with Yoo Si Jin. He’s my bodyguard after all. He was wearing a black suit and a tie. He looks handsome but I’m still angry with him.

“Ah this annoying man. Cha-young, I must go now. My husband just sent me a message, he’s looking for me.” Madam Lee looked at me with an apologetic look. 

“It’s okay, Aunt. Let’s catch up some other time.” She gently held my hand. “If you need anything, you can go to me.” I looked at Madam Lee’s pale and healthy face. Her wrinkles are already visible but she’s still beautiful. If my mother was still alive, I’m sure she would be the most beautiful at this party. 

“Thank you, Aunt,” I gently said. She smiled and tapped my shoulder. 

“See you, my daughter.” She turned around and walked towards the VIP area. Perhaps, that is where her husband is.

I can't help but to smile. After meeting Madam Lee, I realized that I still have allies that I can rely on. I still have someone who cares for me and is willing to help me. Now, I don't need to overthink always.

I looked at the waiter who was walking towards me. He is carrying a tray with drinks. He stopped in front of me when he realized that I was looking at him. I don't have any plan to drink tonight but the drinks walked towards me, what should I do then? I took one of the wine glasses and gave my thanks to the waiter. I looked at him from head to toe before I passed by him. 

Where the heck is Yu Shin Hye?

I walked towards the left corner of the hall. Maybe, Shin Hye is here since there's only a few people here. I looked at the waiter who’s also carrying a tray. I was about to drink my wine when a realization struck my mind.

The waiter who gave me drinks was wearing a black gloves and he didn't have a name plate while the waiter I saw now was wearing a white gloves and had a silver name plate. I looked at the wine. It was a bloody red and there’s nothing suspicious. I looked around and my gaze landed on the opposite corner of the hall. 

The waiter who gave me the drinks was standing at the corner, his eyes were at me. The light was dim but I knew that it was him. 

Damn.

I quickly walked towards the trashcan I saw in the corner. Without any hesitation, I threw the wine glass in it. The wine or the wine glass might have an odorless poison. It's better if I disposed of all of it to avoid danger. No one noticed the crashing sound because there was slow music playing in the hall. Those who saw me didn't mind my business. That’s good. I took out my phone from my hand carry bag and sent a message to Shin Hye. We need to get out of here. I won't wait for Han Seok.

“What’s wrong, Miss Cha-young?” My heart thumped and my arms jerked when someone spoke behind me. I cursed under my breath when I realized that it was Yoo Si Jin. I turned around and looked at me.

“Sorry, did I startle you?” he asked. I gulped. 

“It’s okay. Look for Shin Hye. Let’s go home,” I said.

“How about you? I can’t leave you here, Miss. There’s something wrong.” He looked around, his face was deadly serious.

“Go find Shin Hye. I need to make sure that she’s safe. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be waiting for you both outside.” He was about to say something but I nodded at him. 

“I’ll be back.” He turned around and went to find Shin Hye in the crowd. I decided to go outside. The other guests who recognized me greeted me as I passed. I just gave them with my best smile. When I arrived at the entrance and at the same time the exit of the hall, the security personnel opened the grand door and I walked out. I gave him my thanks and I walked out of the hall.

I inhaled sharply after getting out of the hall. Just like my father's office, the hall was also suffocating. I looked around and there's really a lot of guards outside. They were also wearing a black suit. They have an earphone and a silver name plate. 

I observed the hallway. Because of the event in the hall, there's only a few people roaming around outside. I believe the hotel limited the number of guests in order to ensure the safety of the VIPs who will attend tonight’s gathering. My gaze landed on the elevator. My forehead creased when I saw the man standing in front of the elevator. I can only see him in side view but his face looks familiar. I believe I know him and I saw him before. 

My eyes widened when he suddenly turned towards my direction—as if he felt my gaze on him. I stepped back, not knowing what to do. He was looking at me, his eyes also looking curious. 

He was wearing a navy blue suit, his black hair was slicked back. His left hand was in his pocket while his right hand was carrying a leather bag. 

I blinked. My heart beat faster not because of embarrassment but because of shock. 

“Yoo Si Jin?” I murmured.

His forehead creased. I was about to walk towards him when the elevator door opened. He turned to the elevator and stepped inside. I stopped myself from running to him—to ask him why he looks like my bodyguard.

Damn, Cha-young.

“Miss Cha-young!” I froze when I heard the familiar voice. I turned my gaze on the entrance of the hall. 

Yoo Si Jin was walking towards me, behind him was Shin Hye. He jogged towards me, his expression worried.

“Are you okay?” he asked. 

“Yoo Si Jin....” I whispered. 

Who are you?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

550K 17.1K 74
Hiraeth - A homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost pla...
1.1M 61.4K 38
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
1.2M 52K 98
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
968K 24.3K 23
Yn a strong girl but gets nervous in-front of his arranged husband. Jungkook feared and arrogant mafia but is stuck with a girl. Will they make it t...