Consuming Fire

By IsabellaModra

*AVAILABLE ON AMAZON* The third in the ROUGE series ... 'The true heroes are the ones who have courage, even... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Reviews
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34 (copy)
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Hunger
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Epilogue (Part 1)
Epilogue (Part 2)
The End
Interview with the Author
COMPETITION - CLOSED
THE WINNERS

Chapter 20

3.5K 245 59
By IsabellaModra

The SSS jet slowed to a hover over mountains of orange and brown earth beneath a black, star-lit sky. Whirlwinds of dust blew across the peaks. Then everything was dark and the jet touched down inside a concrete carrier. Amelia powered off the plane and Eli followed the others as they unclipped their seat belts and stepped onto the platform.

"Is this your base?" asked Zac.

"It's more of a ... secret compound. We're located just a few hours outside of Vegas."

"Sick," Zac grinned.

"There's a few more people I want to introduce you to so ... follow me."

Eli stepped in line behind Jenny, casting a glance back at Amelia as she stood by the dashboard, flicking switches and running through checks. He sighed, wishing she was showing them around instead of Prince Charming.

Chevie led them down a ramp into the aircraft bunker — a giant room built of hard steel rusty in some places but strong and firm. Quickly, they marched through the bunker to a large circular door that opened at Chevie's command. Directly before them was an elevator with only one button: up.

"This elevator leads to the main area of the compound," said Chevie. It was a sturdy elevator that shot up quicker than Eli could handle. When it opened, there was a double door on the right and left. Chevie led them through the right door and before Eli could blink, he was following the others into a low-roofed space filled with more people than he imagined there to be in this organization. It looked like some sort of military control room, with rows of computer hubs to his left and a large round table covered in maps to the right. What is this, S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters?

Chevie marched them around the outer platform, down the flight of three stairs to the main control unit on the other side of the room. Eli saw at least five giant panels along the wall, suggesting some sort of shield against outer light. He wished there was more natural fluorescence than the bright tubes above their heads. Eli couldn't stop staring at all the people dressed in everyday clothes — minus the few soldiers wearing military uniforms — all busy doing things he couldn't even guess. He felt as if they'd come to the wrong place, and it made him nervous.

While Chevie strolled up to a man with his back turned, Eli whispered subtly to Jenny. "Does this all seem a little strange to you?"

"Better than being at the Pentagon with the FBI though, right?"

"I dunno ... I'm getting a kind of Area 51 vibe."

Jenny was about to whisper back when Chevie turned.

"This is our commanding officer, weapons specialist and tactical advisor, Captain John Mackintosh of the Special Forces. Retired, of course."

Captain Mackintosh was a man of around fifty with a broad chest, thick gray hair and hard-set lines around his eyes and mouth. He didn't smile, but appraised the three of them carefully.

"So ... you're the three who've been spilling all your secrets to the FBI, eh?"

Eli bit his lip and looked at Zac, who seemed particularly interested in watching a radar screen emit green signals on the control panel.

"Actually, sir, it wasn't necessarily our fault," said Jenny timidly.

"Oh, it wasn't?" Captain Mackintosh peered at each of them in turn. "Where's the scientist, Joshua Harrison?"

"Uh ..." said Zac.

"It's a long story," said Jenny. "But I think you owe us an explanation first. Now that we're here, what are we supposed to do?" She crossed her arms, determined to show them no intimidation. Eli wished he were as brave.

Captain Mackintosh chuckled deeply. "Fair enough, Miss...?"

"Smart. Jenny Smart."

"Miss Smart, yes. Mr. Barnes, would you care to explain to our guests why they are welcome inside our compound? I have some work to do."

"With pleasure, Captain." Chevie turned his attention to the three of them. "Perhaps a little tour first?"

They nodded eagerly.

Chevie gestured to the wide expanse of space. "Most of the people you'll come to meet in this compound are supporters of superheroes. We don't reject anyone who comes to live in this society, whether they have powers or they simply want to help people who do." Chevie raised his hand and pointed to the hub of computers where Eli spotted a group of young people furiously typing away on computers. "For example, these guys look exactly like your typical nerds who work for top-secret companies and do all the smart shit. And that's exactly what they are. Hackers, or 'nerds' as some people call them."

Zac snorted a laugh. Eli glared at him, catching a warning look from Jenny.

"By that I mean they're superhero fans. Like others here, I found them through the internet and decided to make use of their technology skills. They're sworn to secrecy of course, but it means they get to hang out with real people with superpowers like ... yours truly." He pointed proudly to himself and then swung his arm out dramatically to the left side of the room where there was a table of maps and men and women dressed in smart suits and work attire were hurrying back and forth behind it. "Then we have the power planners — those who do the searching for more of us and run the missions. Right now, Captain Mackintosh has been holding a search for the Agents."

"You're hunting the Agents?" Zac gaped. "How?"

"We were able to track them down through our communications system. Turns out they're ex-special agents who do freelance work for Dr. Wolfe. We've been watching them since they left ICE several days ago."

"Where are they going?" asked Eli.

"Not sure yet, we're working on it. We're also following the FBI to Washington to see what they're up to next. We had to get you guys out of there of course, because once the FBI get their hands on us ... there'll be an epidemic. It's bad enough they know we exist."

"Why is it bad?" asked Jenny. "I mean they protect our country, they can help us find Dr. Wolfe and get rid of him."

Chevie raised an eyebrow at her. "If they could do that, why have they not done it already?"

Jenny's shoulders slumped. He's right, Eli thought, the FBI are useless and they're going to continue chasing their own tails until someone points them in the right direction.

"Now, there's more to show the three of you but ... it's getting late. I've organized some rooms on the upstairs level, so you can clean yourselves up and hit the sack. We'll have more of a debriefing tomorrow."

"That sounds great," said Jenny with relief. "I really need a shower."

"Showers are provided," said Chevie. "I'll show you-"

"I can take them Chev." Eli turned at the wonderful voice that he remembered from the jet. Amelia stood behind them wearing a white lab coat and clutching an iPad in her hands. "You probably need a break yourself," she smiled.

"Thanks gorgeous," said Chevie and he hurried away with a wink at Jenny.

"Follow me," said Amelia.

Eli practically sprinted to her side, Jenny and Zac behind him. "Do you live here?"

"Yup," said Amelia. "My father, the Captain, lets me work for the SSS — I'm a mechanical engineer and a biologist."

"And you're ... how old?" asked Eli.

"Twenty-two. I'm advanced for my age though."

Eli felt his heart flutter. She's hot and she's a nerd. Holy shit, I'm out of my league.

They marched down a narrow corridor with fluorescent lights along the cement walls. Amelia led them to the left where a black arrow pointed to the 'C Ward'. All along the walls were rooms with heavily sealed doors. It was all very institutionalized, only more ... military inspired.

"This room is yours Jenny," said Amelia and handed her the key to '39'. "There's a phone on your door if you need anything, dial 2. Yours is '38' across the hall Zac and Eli, you're in ... '41'." Eli took the key from her and turned to his door.

This is the weirdest vacation ever.

"I'll see you at breakfast in the morning."

"S-sounds ... uh ..."

Amelia waited patiently for Eli to finish his sentence with an amused glimmer in her eyes. She tucked her hair behind her ear and Eli felt his heart somersault.

"He thinks you're hot," said Zac.

Eli glared at him.

"What?" Zac's eyes drifted down. "Seriously, your dingle-berry is showing."

"Okay, thank you Zac!" Eli put his hand over his crotch and saw Amelia blush.

Zac was chuckling as he closed his door behind him.

"I'll see you tomorrow," said Amelia and she walked gracefully away.

"Uh, g-goodnight Amelia," he said as he picked his pride up off the floor and went to bed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 546 14
Disclaimer: I dont own the flash or music or pictures.
Rouge By IsabellaModra

Science Fiction

647K 28.6K 41
*AVAILABLE ON AMAZON* The first in the ROUGE series ... Hunter Harrison is no superhero. She doesn't wear a cape, or a lycra suit, or prance around...
10.7K 939 100
"Three weeks. That's how long I got to have drama-free. I'm not sure what is happening to me or to Oakwood. Nothing's the same since I rolled into to...
544 18 14
There are heroes in this world for who it is clear that one day they will accomplish great things in life. Heroes who are born for greatness. Heroes...