Hunted (UNEDITED)

By stefymay

*Sequel to Pure Blood* Snow and the gang are back and close to revealing the Council to the entire werewolf... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue

Chapter 13

58.9K 650 88
By stefymay

(Recap)

“Always Hunter. I will always be yours.” I said and then he entered me the same time as he bit me, marking me for the second time.

Through the pain I heard Hunter whisper through our mind link,

“I love you Emmaline, and the minute I first laid my eyes on you I knew my heart will never be mine again, for it was claimed by you and will always belong to you.”  

“I love you too Hunter.” I whispered to him and at that moment the word love felt so inadequate, so lacking in what I truly felt for him.

What I felt was more than love, he was finally mine and I was his, and no-one could take that away from us. He was my heart, my soul, my future, my love and with such clarity I knew I was his as well, and we would be forever bound. I knew without a doubt that I loved him and always would, and I wanted many more nights like this… wrapped up tightly in his arms.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13

It was Saturday morning, sunlight was peeking through the curtains and we laid in bed still naked, Hunter was slowly running his fingers up and down my arm, while he held me tight, safely nestled against his side. I sighed contented. Why weren’t we doing this sooner?

“What are you thinking about?” I asked Hunter, while he ran his fingers up and down my arm leaving a trail of goose flesh in his wake.

“I was wondering if you still had your uniform from Wolfbane.” He said with a grin, I leaned up to look into his eyes.

“Really? You were thinking about that… of all things?” I asked astonished and slightly confused.

“The first uniform not your replacement, the one that was nice and tight.”

“What the toddler suit?” I asked wondering why he wanted to know that.

“Yes the toddler suit.” He said, his voice going husky.

“Er… no. I threw that thing away at the first opportunity I got, why?”

“Pity… maybe we can get you something like that. I was remembering how hot you looked wearing it.” I was quiet for a while, remembering the way Hunter stared at me when he had first seen me in that tiny uniform, so long ago. It was kind of how he was looking at me now.

“Oh.” Was my brilliant response and I stared into his eyes; they were turning blue like mine was no doubt.

He just smirked his sexy smirk and leaned in, wrapping his arms around me, pulling me on top of his body and kissed me.

The alarm sounded startling us apart and we laughed at our reaction.

“It’s just the alarm.” I said as I reached over and noticed the time. It was eleven in the morning and I still hadn't heard anything from Sammy. I listened carefully and heard no-one in the house. Maybe she was home earlier, then left again, I needed to check.

“Hunter I-“

“Go see if she’s okay.” I nodded not sure how he knew I was worried about Sammy. Maybe it’s the link.

I got up and snagged one of his t-shirts and pulled it over. It was rather large for me, hanging mid-thigh. I heard a moan and turned to see Hunter staring at me, all blue eyed and lusty. He looked like he wanted to pull me back to the bed and have his way with me all over again.

I skipped to the door, making sure to put extra bounce to my step and turned to blow him a kiss. He had a pained look and I could see he was pitching a tent.

“Come back to bed.” He said, while he raked his eyes over my body. His voice was husky and his eyes where blue. He licked his lips as he stared at mine and my heart leap and I wanted to go back to him, needed to, but I had to make sure Sammy was okay and she hadn’t gotten us into any trouble. Biting my lower lip teasingly I said,

“Laters babe.” Then I winked as I left and I heard him mutter to himself, “She’s going to be the death of me.”

Smirking as I continued towards Sammy’s room. I really enjoyed teasing him, it made me feel powerful, like beyond measure, strong enough to move mountains and I liked it. The way he looked at me, like I was his world, his only reason for living and God help me that was how I felt about him.

As I neared Sammy’s door, I had gotten a sense of dread, of some sort of impending doom. I know it sounded melodramatic or something, but the feeling was unnerving.

I rushed to the partially opened door and pushed it completely open, surveying the empty room. The bed wasn’t slept in, the window was still closed and everything seemed to be in place. I walked into the room and glanced out of the window and saw nothing but a dense mist.

She never came home last night, which meant that she could be in danger… her bad guy boyfriend could have captured her or something.

I rushed from the room, towards Hunter and my room, snagging the phone on the dresser.

Hunter was busy tying his pants when I rushed in.

“What is it?” he asked, sensing I was anxious about something.

“It’s Sammy. She hadn’t come home and I think Quinn has something to do with it.”

“Quinn?”

“Yeah, he’s her-“I just about stopped myself from spilling the beans. I really should have been a mute.

“He’s her what?” He asked stalking towards me.

“Er… nothing.” I said glancing down to dial the number, but Hunter stopped me by covering my hand, before I could hit the dial button.

“Why won’t you tell me? Don’t you trust me Snow?” He asked hurt clear in his voice.

“I do trust you Hunter I do.”

“Then why are you keeping things from me?”

“Because I-I…” I trailed and sighed. He’s right, I’m not being honest with him, he deserved to know. I gulped down a deep breath and looked up. I was treating him as if I didn’t trust him,

“Fine… I’ll tell you everything. You might want to sit down.”

So I did… I told him about Quinn being Sammy’s mate, I told him about Zeff knowing about me being a wolf, but left out the part about him black mailing me because of it. After last night, Hunter was still itching to kick his ass from here to Timbuk-three, and if he found out Zeff was using the knowledge to make advances on me, he would freak and then there would really be no stopping him.

I told him about my new power to read minds, he seemed a little uneasy or guilty but I didn’t really take note of it and I told him about what I found out last night, as well as watching Quinn follow Sammy into the dark.

“…and that’s why I need to find out if she’s okay. Hunter, I totally forgot about her. I was so caught up last night in us that I simply… forgot. God if anything happened to her because of me…” I said as I began to pace, the uneasiness returning in full force.

Hunter reached out and snagged my wrist pulling me to him.

“It’s not your job to look after everyone.”

“No but I have a duty to warn them if I sense danger.” I said and pressed the dial button.

Her phone was engaged.

“Her phone’s off Hunter we need to get a hold of her, What if she’s in danger and can’t get to us? She was really out of her mind last night what if she ran into the council? She could be chained up somewhere or worse.”

“Emma calm down. We’ll find her. Get the word out to the other that the jig is up and to meet in the place we discussed. Cole and I will go to Quinn’s and see if he has her while you try and find Rachelle. She usually goes to the park so check there first. We meet back here in two hours.” Hunter said trying to give me an encouraging smile. I absently nodded my head, Sammy please be okay.

“Hey don’t worry. We’ll find her and then we can bail this town.” He said pulling my chin up to face him. I smiled or more like grimaced and he said leaning in,

“Look on the bright side of this. We don’t have to hide our feeling for each other anymore, and we can be together and after last night I will need to be with you every night.” He said, his eyes turning blue at the memory.

“Hunter...” I said on a whisper. I knew what he was trying; he was trying to distract me from blaming myself for this mess.

I pushed passed him towards my room, to get a fresh set of clothes to wear, when he called out,

“Don’t worry Sunshine, everything’s going to be okay.” He gave an encouraging smile and started dialing.

“Cole, we got a situation…” I heard him say as I left his room.

I quickly showered and dressed, grabbing a short blade and easily concealing it under my clothes.

“You ready? Cole’s here.” Hunter said as I was just about pulling my hoodie over the hilt of the sword.

“Ready.”

“I’ve asked Nick to drive you to the park.” I nodded and then he walked up to me and kissed me hard.

“Be safe Sunshine.”

“You too.” Then we left, Cole was waiting outside talking to Nick. I waved to Cole and quickly got into Nicks car.

“Cole told me everything. So Quinn’s Sammy’s mate huh?”

“Yep.”

“You know he won’t let her go without a fight.”

“I know, and I’m depending on it.” I said clutching the sword in my hands as I stared out the window.

We soon reached the park and it wasn’t long before I spotted Rachelle sitting near the fountain. I quickly got out, asking Nick to wait there and keep the car running and I quickly jogged towards her.

“RACHELLE, RACHELLE…” I shouted as I neared. She looked up, she was wearing sunglasses. Most likely more to hide her eyes than protect it from the midday sun.

“Snow?” She said, confusion plain on her face.

“We need to go, now.” She got up and quickly walked towards me.

“They found out?”

“Yep. We don’t have much time. They know about us but not about the others.” She nodded asking no more questions.

We got to the waiting car and Nick sped back to the house. I texted Hunter informing him that we got Rachelle and were heading back to pack what we could. He replied a simple “ok” enough to let me know he was okay.

Once Nick dropped us he sped home to pack what he could. Rachelle and I packed only the necessities like the clothes, weapons the Intel we’ve collected while we were here.

I glanced at the clock once everything was packed and ready to go. Two hours had passed and no word from Hunter.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and dialed Hunter’s number it rang twice and then he picked up.

“Sunshine?” He said

“Anything?” I asked without saying hello.

“No… nothing. He’s not home and we just checked the school. We’re heading back home now to come up with a plan.”

“Shit… okay… I’ll be waiting.” I said then hung up after saying bye.

Sammy where the hell are you?

It was a half an hour wait before Hunter got home.

“Is everything set to go?”

“Yes, what about Sammy? We can’t leave without her.”

“We have to. I’ll stay in town, in the shadows and search for her, but everyone else needs to go. It’s safer.”

“I’m staying with you.”

“Emma, you-“

“I’m staying with you Hunter. End of discussion.” I said then marched up stairs to my room to get my swords. I always felt better with it near me.

My phone then started vibrating in my pocket and without checking the caller ID I answered.

“Hello.”

“The leaf will fall tonight, the red leaf will fall. I wanted to stop it, but if I did the tree would die. The tree can’t die. I don’t know what to do Snow, I don’t want to the leaf to fall.”

“Sammy? Oh thank god, Sammy where are you?” I ignored the rest of the crap about the leaf, we’ve been through this last night and I didn’t have time to go through it again.

“Where… am I? I’m hiding.” She said, sounding confused.

“Why are you hiding? Are you in danger? Is Quinn after you?”

“Quinn? No, I’m hiding so I don’t have to watch.”

“Watch what? Sammy you aren’t making any sense? Where are you, we need to leave this place. Where are you?”

“I’m hiding in the screaming hollow tree that waves to the moon.”

“Sammy, I need a place. What is the places name?”

“I’m so sorry Snow.” Then she hung up.

“Sammy? SAMMY, MOTHER F-“ I screamed nearly crushing the phone in my hands.

“Did you find her? Is she okay?” Hunter asked standing in front of me.

“Argh, that girl. No she fucking hung up. She was still going on about that stupid fucking leaf.”   

“Breath Snow, we’ll find her.” Hunter said looking me in the eye.

“I promise we’ll find her.”

“But will we find her alive?” I asked in a small voice.

“Have some hope Sunshine.”

It was past eight and we were about to leave, me a little reluctantly without Sammy. We were going to come back in two weeks’ time, but what if she showed up before then and thinks that we had abandoned her. I know how she would feel…

Hunter and I were just about getting the last of our clothes in his room when there was a loud bang from downstairs, almost like someone threw open the door.

“HUNTER! SNOW! ARE YOU HERE?” We heard Cole bellowing from down stairs.

“UP HERE. STAY THERE I’M COMING.” Hunter shouted back seen as he was on his way down with three suitcases full of clothes and weapons. We kind of looted the place a little. We needed a few extra things we didn’t originally have. Rachelle had gone to the meeting point earlier with most of the things. We stayed a little longer hoping Sammy would come home before we left, but she never did.

“Don’t worry Sunshine, everything will be okay.” Hunter said, then leaned down and kissed me hard on the lips before leaving.

I was on the floor, worried out of my mind for Sammy. What if she had a vision in front of one of the wolves under the council’s control? I thought back to her friendly face and easy smile, when I had first met her, how much she had helped us in the past. She was like a sister and if I lost her… no can’t think like that, need to stay positive.

 “Attacked… How long ago?” I heard through the link and I bolted upright from my sitting position on the floor.

Who was attacked?  What if it was Sammy? No, please let her be okay. I let her go with that creep behind her.

I shot up like a lightning bolt and rushed down the stairs.

I could hear Cole frantically speaking, “I tried calling you but none of you where answering your phones. When you didn’t pick up I thought…” Cole trailed, you could hear he was stressed and upset.

“It’s okay, the battery must have died or something.”

“I’m just glad you and Snow are okay.”

“We should go to them. Is the other’s there?” Hunter asked

“I’m not sure, haven’t heard from any of them, I was-“I cut Cole off,

“Who was attacked? Was it Sammy? Is she okay?” I asked no longer able to stand it.

“Snow, I think you need to sit-“ Hunter said but I cut him off, shaking out of his grip when he reached for me.

“No tell me now, who was attacked." I asked. It was Sammy, it must have been.

“Snow I think it’s best if you sit down.” Hunter said, I was really freaking out, I couldn’t stand still and I kept looking at them. They looked sad, they can’t look sad; they shouldn’t because that would be really bad.

“No just tell me Hunter.” They looked at each other and then Hunter sighed.

“Rose and Kayla.”

“Rose and Kayla? But I thought…Wait what?… no they couldn’t, the council didn’t know about them. Where were they attacked?” I asked backing up into the stair cases railing, trying to puzzle through everything.

“They were on their way out of town. Kayla went back to the school to get something… a disc. Rose drove her and they were on their way back and Nick was with Cole when he er… sensed danger. Rose managed to tell him where they were before he lost contact.”

“Lost contact? Are they okay? Is someone with them now? Where was Jake?"

“We… don’t know yet. Jake’s not answering his cell.”

“Then why are we just standing here lets go.” I said rushing pass them towards Coles car, touching my swords that were strapped to my back for reassurance as I went. I could hear them behind me as I ran to the car.

Breath Snow, Breath, they’re okay, they’re fine, no need to panic. Then I realized something, Kayla hadn’t finished the cure, Jake was still in danger of turning into a Hellhound.

“Please tell me Jake doesn’t know?” I asked Cole turning abruptly which nearly made Cole bump into me.

“I think he would have felt something was wrong. He is fully mated to Kayla after all.” Oh shit, oh shit… breath, breath

“WE NEED TO GO NOW.” I said and sprinted to the passenger’s seat. I was barely in the car when I shouted for Cole to get his hunk of junk moving.

“Are you okay Snow?” Cole asked while keeping his eyes on the road.

“She didn’t finish the cure, he could still turn. Did Nick say what happened… exactly?”

“He said that they were driving out of town, coming from the school, when they were attacked by three hellhounds just off St. Luke’s Street. He said the hounds knock the car into the woods and attacked them. That’s all he said, what are you talking about a cure? A cure for what exactly?” Cole asked briefly taking his eyes off the road to look at me, but my mind couldn’t function, I kept thinking that they must please be alive.

“She’s talking about the cure for Jake. He was given the Hellhound shots, and there’s a slight chance that he might turn because of this.”

“TURN?! ARE YOU SAYING THAT JAKE CAN TURN INTO ONE OF THOSE THINGS?”

“HOW DID YOU KNOW?” I turned to Hunter. In my big reveal I left that bit out. He sighed and looked a little sheepish.

“I read your thoughts. I can’t control it, it just happens.”

“You got that power too…already?” I asked

“Emma, the power isn’t yours…It started on the third day we had gotten here.”

“You got it before me… but that would mean. IT’S YOUR NEW ABILITY? AND YOU’VE BEEN READING MY MIND EVER SINCE WE GOT HERE AND YOU SAID NOTHING? JUST LETTING ME THINK IT WAS MY ABILITY?” I asked turning to face him beyond furious. And he guilt tripped me into not being honest with him. Hypocrite!

“Well I er… yes.” He at least he had the decency to look ashamed.

“How much do you know?” I asked through gritted teeth. That was an extreme case of invasion of privacy AND HE SAID NOTHING!!!

“Everything.” He said quietly, I felt like I wanted to scream I was so furious, my emotions of fear and anger pushing me to a senseless state.  I knew my eyes where blue and I could taste blood in my mouth, the telltale signs of how close I was to changing.

“And you said nothing.” I said in a low voice, it came out in a growl and Cole mumbled to Hunter.

“I told you she wouldn’t be happy about keeping it a secret.”

“AND YOU TOLD HIM?” I shouted pointing my finger in Cole’s face, while staring Hunter down.

“It might have slipped out.” Hunter said and I growled at him.

“I can’t deal with this now. How far are we from them?” I asked Cole, turning away from Hunter and trying to cool myself off. I will deal with this later… but now I have more important things to deal with, like stopping my brother from turning into a monster. Cole said,

“Another ten minutes away.” I took a few deep breathes. Cole was already speeding, his foot was flat on the gas zipping past the houses and trees that lines the road, but I still felt every second, it was agonizingly slow.

How did they know to attack Rose and Kayla, they weren’t identified in the dossier, heck they didn’t even know that they were in town. Someone is informing them, someone that knows our situation.

I remember the last conversation I had with Jake, he was warning me about Quinn. I wonder if it wasn’t Quinn who gave the heads up on our secret identity. He would be the only person who could rat us out and gain anything by it.

This could be the moment that I lose the only blood relative I have. I swallowed the lump that was forming; no don’t think of it, they’re okay, Jakes okay. Then I remembered something.

“Have you heard from Sammy?” I asked Cole totally ignoring Hunter. She could be with him right now.

“No, I tried to get a hold of her but her phone goes straight to voice mail. I left a message anyway. Told her to come home asap.” I nodded not sure if that would helped. I had done the same and had asked everyone, including Cole to keep trying to get a hold of her.

It wasn’t long before Cole stopped, pulling over to the side of the road, “We’re here.”

But before he had the words out, I was out the door and following the trail of wreckage left behind by the car, at a near sprint.

By the up turned dirt and large gauges left in the ground, I’d say that the hounds rammed into the car, all three at the same time, causing it to be flicked into the air over three lanes, judging by the gap of the first track mark to the second and then it roll into the trees and thick foliage.

I climbed down the terrain and noticed the slight dip and a few broken trees and bushes in its wake as well as exposed tree roots. I jumped down, grabbing a branch and using my momentum, swung myself further out.

Straight ahead the distance of a half a football field was the car. It was wedged between two boulders, folding the car card in half like a Christmas card. It looked like the hounds, rammed into it continuously tucking it between the massive rocks.

I ran full out, pulling my swords as if expecting a fight. As I neared I saw Nick crouched over a person lying on the ground he was whispering something to her and rocking back and forth.

Hunter passed me, because I slowed when I got a glimpse of who it was.

“Rose…” I whispered. She was covered in blood. Nick had his hands over her throat telling her everything was going to be okay, she looked pale from the blood loss, but she was still conscious. She wasn’t a pure blood so this could be fatal to her.

Hunter was there and gently pushed Nick out of the way as he began to work on her. I looked towards the car and saw another body, this one wasn’t moving. Jake was there hunched over it, he was shaking.

I walked slowly towards it already knowing who it was, my breaths becoming shallow as I got closer.

It was Kayla and Jake was holding her as he cried. She was staring sightless at the millions of stars that dotted the sky above.

“Jake?” I said in a broken voice, dropping my swords as I got nearer. I already knew what this meant; I knew what was going to happen.

He didn’t look up he just kept his hold over her, and continued to shake. The ground around him was drenched in blood; the smell was heavy in the cool night air.

“Jake?” I said as I got closer to him. I was five feet away from him, when he looked up and his eyes were black with an eerie red glow. Cold eyes, animal eyes, Hellhound eyes.

“No Jake fight it. Fight it, you can’t leave me.” I said as tears streaked down my face.

“She’s dead Emmaline.” He said his voice coming out guttural. He was shaking in pain and it was like déjà-vu.  I dreamt this; the scene was the same, the air, the smell of blood.

I knew how this would end, the only difference was the person…but still I approached him.

“Jake don’t leave me, we can fix this. Please don’t go, don’t leave me again.” I pleaded my vision blurring from the tears. I swiped at them with the back of my hand, my gaze never leaving him.

“Emmaaalinnne…” He said his eyes sad as he twitched with the change. My name was dragged out in a guttural growl.

I heard bones snapping and his face started elongating, the sound of bones snapping echoed through the night.

“I’m…ssssssoorrry Emmmalline.” He said his guttural voice getting rougher, deeper. He was turning and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

“No Jake, fight it, FIGHT IT!” I screamed at him, but I knew it was too late as the black glossy fir started breaking through his skin, tearing to the surface. He gently placed Kayla down, whining as he did so.

“Can’t… fight. Nothing …left… toooo…live… for. It’s tooo… strong.” He said just before his canines shot out and his claws grew to unnatural lengths. He started to howl as the last of his transformation took place, I notice he was black from head to toe, except for his left ear, which turned the red color of his wolf, but other than that, he was a hellhound.

“No Jake!” I lunged for him, but was pulled back by Hunter. Jake slashed with his claws out towards me, missing me by millimeters and leaned over Kayla’s body. He lowered his head like he was about to lunge.

“Come back to me Jake. Please don’t leave me.” He cocked his head to the side as if he understood me; then he shook his head as if trying to get out of a daze and growled. He moved Kayla’s body further into the woods, never taking his eyes off us or relaxing and when he was a good distance away, he gently picked her up in his massive jaws and carried her off into the night.

“NO COME BACK. LET GO WE NEED TO GO AFTER THEM WE NEED-“

“EMMALINE! They’re gone and there’s nothing we can do about it.”

“No but he responded. You saw, he understood, we can still save him.” I said desperation clear in my voice even to my own ears.

“How are we going to do that? Kayla is dead and Nick is in no shape to complete the cure. He lacks not only the knowledge but the expertise. Rose is still alive. We need to save her. It’s too late for Jake and Kayla, but you need to get a grip and focus.” He coughed and blood came out.

“You’re bleeding…why are you bleeding?” Only then did I notice that he was using the link and not speaking aloud.

I began healing Rose, giving me enough time to get you. They attacked her throat. Emma… they ripped out her voice box. We need to move fast if we’re going to save her and I need you to focus. Cut everything else out and concentrate on what’s important right now.”

“Okay.” I said swallowing the pain of losing Jake. I stared out in the direction Jake ran biting my lip so it wouldn’t tremble,

Emma if you can’t-“

“No… I can do it. I have to…” I said, closing my eyes and concentrated on shutting out my emotions and it was hard at first, losing Jake was making it hard to focus on shutting out my emotions, but I managed and welcomed the emptiness. I needed it, wanted it and I felt the lump in my throat disappear and even though Rose was lying there bleeding to death on the floor I felt nothing.

You ready?” Hunter asked through our mind link.

“Yes.” I said, and even to me my voice sounded cold and empty compared to the emotional wreck it was in a minute ago.

I walked over to Rose and she was gasping, she had a straw in her throat to help her breath, so that she wouldn’t drown in her blood. She looked to be unconscious, must have passed out from the blood loss.

I crouched next to Nick, he was crying, near hysterics. His hand was still over her throat, seemingly to stop the blood from flowing out. I could see Hunter closed the main artery so the amount of blood that was leaking out wasn’t as much as we first arrived, but it was enough to risk her life.

“Nick you can let go.” I said gently moving his hand away.

“But the blood.”

We need the space to work. I promise we’ll take care of her.” Hunter said to him in our minds.

“You can communicate with him telepathically. Is that part of your new ability?” I asked no fury now, just… nothing.

He nodded his head and cough up blood again.

“I’ll do some from here. Heal yourself so that you can take over. We’re going to have to do this a few times.” I said as I looked down at Rose, her lips where blue, and she wasn’t shivering… Hyperthermia.

“Nick, get a blanket. We need to keep her warm.” He nodded

“I think there’s one in the car.” Then he darted for the car. Cole and the others were standing guard in case the hounds or Jake…came back or there were some inquisitive humans.

I closed my eyes and concentrated of Rose’s body, her throat in particular.

Hunter was right her voice box was ripped out, and then something occurred to me.

“Hunter can we heal her voice?”

“We can’t heal what’s not there.” He said sadness clear in his voice.

That means her gift will be gone.”

“I know. Rather lose her gift than her life.” Roses gift of persuasion... Would she be upset that she lost the ability, even though she hardly used it because it affected her as well? Only a few wolves are granted gifts and hardly ever turned wolves. I thought back to the last time she used it, when she saved my butt from being a hellhounds chew toy, back at the pack house. It felt like ages ago... but her life was more valuable than her voice or gift. 

You’re right I was just wondering.” I thought about Jake, that could happen to Nick if we lost Rose. Jake… forever a hound. I felt the sadness so close, I was losing the emotionless state. The grief of losing him again, of not being able to save Kayla sat like a stone in my chest. He said that he had nothing to live for… he had me. Why didn’t he want to live for me?

Emma concentrate. Try not to think about it until we’re done here. She needs us.” Hunter was right. I needed to see to Rose, can’t think about Jake or Kayla. I need to help whoever I can. So I concentrated on shutting my emotions out again and I started the strenuous task of repairing her throat, starting with the veins and sealing off any of the main veins that were spilling too much blood. When I started to cough up blood Hunter took over and so we worked, swopping up to seven times before we were sure she would be okay.

By the time we were done, we were both out of energy and the sun was beginning to rise.

Cole carried me to the car while Damien and Ryan helped Hunter. Nick carried Rose. He never took his eyes off her. When we got to the cars Hunter said telepathically,

“You need to give her orange juice when she comes to. At least one and a half glasses as well as some eggs or protein enriched cereal. She might not have an appetite but she needs to eat. Make sure she drinks the juice and call me if you need me. Nathan will be nearby if you need anything. Go to the safe house, Snow and I will stay here.”

“Sure and thank you… both of you. I have no words…” Nick said as he looked down at Rose. She was still unconscious, her skin pale from blood loss, but she would live.

“It’s okay.” I croaked out seen as I couldn’t do the telepathic thing just yet. My voice sounded like I was at a rock concert. I coughed, placing my hand in front of my mouth, when I pulled it away, blood coated my hand.

“You two should rest up as well and Emma...” Nick said

“Hmm…” I asked already starting to doze off from lack of energy.

“I’m sorry… about Jake and Kayla. They were good people.”

I nodded, but said nothing, reluctant to think about what I had lost this night.

He then turned walking to his car and gently placed Rose in the passenger’s seat, securing her with the seat belt and tucking the blanket around her sides. I could see she was shivering, which was a good sign.

I knew he believed there was no hope for Jake, but I needed to believe there was, I needed to keep on hoping otherwise it would make it real. I wasn’t ready to make it real… he was my brother; somewhere inside that creature was Jake and I will get him back.

Cole placed me on the back seat next to Hunter, under a warm blanket. I could see the sky lighting up from the rising sun. The beautiful hues of pinks and purples, that slowly crept across the sky to chase away the sorrow the night had brought. It wasn’t long until I reluctantly fell asleep.

***

That night I dreamt of a happier time. I was five and Jake and I were playing in the garden of our old house, we had found a butterfly’s cocoon.

“What is it Jake?” I asked staring wide eyed at the strange pod like shape.

“It’s a cocoon.” He said crouching down next to me.

“What’s a kookoo.” I said in awe and Jake laughed

“Not a Kookoo silly a cocoon. It’s how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.” I stared at the strange pod with anew interest. As I watched the thing began to crack open and a red and black butterfly came out of it.

“Look Jake it’s a butterfly. Look at it, look at it.” I shouted excited at the new wonder.

“Shh Snowflake you might scare it.” Jake whispered and I whispered back,

“Okay. Sorry.” We watched as it came out and stretched it’s wings, but one of his wings weren’t straightening.

“Jake, why isn’t its wing going straight like the other one?”

“I don’t know, if it doesn’t go straight it won’t be able to fly and if it can’t fly… then it’ll die.”

“We can’t let it just die. We need to help it, please help it Jake.” I asked him and he stared at the butterfly, his lips thinning then nodded his head. Even then I looked up to him; I believed he could do anything. He always watched over me whenever I got hurt, he was the one to take care of me. My big brother protector, my best friend.

He then gently picked it up in his hands and we ran inside. When we got to his room, he gently put it on his desk and told me to look after it while he went down stairs to get something. I nodded and never took my eyes off of it.

I watched as it struggled to fly, but its crippled wing wouldn’t let it.

“Pick it up Emma so I can put this thing down.” He said. He was carrying a fish bowl and inside was some grass and twigs.

I gently scooped the butterfly up and watched as he placed the bowl on the desk.

“Don’t put it down yet. I’ll be right back. Keep it alive Emma.” I nodded wide eyed as he ran out again and seconds later returned with what looked to be a wet piece of cotton ball.

“What’s that?” I asked curiously as he placed the cotton ball in the bowl then stepped back.

“Put the butterfly on it. It’s sugar water, it’s what butterflies eat.”

I gently placed the butterfly on it and then watched. Within minutes it began to lap at the cotton ball. It’s long tongue darting out and drinking the sweetness.

“Look Jake it’s eating. You did it, you saved it. Thank you Jake.” Jake stood straighter, pushing his chest out as he said,

“No problem Snowflake, all he needed was a little help.” Jake said smiling down at me while I gazed up at him with awe.

***

I shot up, breathing heavily; I woke up just as the sun was setting. I had slept the whole day, trying to recuperate. I looked down at the weight that was draped around my waist and noticed that I was in Hunters room, sleeping next to Hunter, who was still fast asleep.

I got up and walked to the bathroom. The house was quiet; I did my business, brushed my teeth and tried to straighten my hair. I noticed my eyes were puffy from crying. Was that from last night or had I been crying in my sleep?

I filled the basin with water and splashed my face with the cool water to try and wake myself up, then leaned over the sink, dropping my head to my hands as I just stared at the water. I watched as the drops dripped from my face to the surface of the water causing ripples to spread out across the surface. I watched my reflection shimmer then disappear.

Is this my life? To be given something then have it snatched away in a blink of an eye? Is this the great plan the universe has in store for me?

I hit the surface, disrupting the serenity, splashing water all over the floor.

I sank to the ground, pulling my knees to my chest and rocked back and forth. I thought about the dream about the butterfly. We help it, saved it even. That butterfly lived a long time before it eventually died. Stilling I realized that this situation was similar… Jake was the broken butterflies that just needed a little help.

I stood up with a new determination, I needed to find him, but first I needed to find a cure for him. I won’t let them take him from me; I won’t sit back and let them win. All I knew was that my brother, no matter what he was, was still my brother and he was still alive and as long as he lives there was hope and as long as I have access to that damned clinic I have a chance to save him... bring him back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry i took so long on this chapter, i wanted it to be perfect. I had rewritten it about three times, to set the stage for whats to come.

Let me know what you think :)

Steph ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

520K 26.4K 44
Sequel to "Saving the Beta's Daughter" You don't have to read the first book to understand this one. However, you might be slightly confused the firs...
320 38 21
Vampires , Werewolves , Dragons , Demons , Witches.. These Kingdoms always seem to be peaceful on the surface but under the covers , vampires and wol...
364 78 22
Having an unexplainable feeling, Sawyer is brought to the woods, to save his older brother. But his brother, Hayden, doesn't need saving. Yet Sawyer...
730K 26.3K 37
Sam, a shy, 16 year old, closeted lesbian who has anxiety issues and abusive parents meets Avery, a soon to be Beta, who wasn't expecting to find her...