The Bird and the Garden 2: Re...

By SecretMinty

The second book of The Bird and the Garden, taking place after the Good Ending. With Y/N and Vao's lives havi... More

Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: It Lives
Chapter 3: Beacon
Chapter 4: The Initiation
Character Introductions
Chapter 5: A New Life
Chapter 6: Class
Chapter 7: Shadows Creep
Chapter 8: It Begins
Chapter 9: The Murder
Chapter 10: Revelation
Chapter 11: Recovery
Chapter 12: Upcoming Events
Chapter 14: The Club
Chapter 15: Forbidden Knowledge
Chapter 16: Verde's Secret
Chapter 17: There Will Be Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Kill
Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths
Chapter 20: The Beginning
Chapter 21: Innsmaw
Chapter 22: Insanity
Chapter 23: Vytal Festival
Chapter 24: Paradise
Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 26: Vao Versus Ruby
Chapter 27: Nightmares
Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw
Chapter 29: Withdrawn
Chapter 30: Escape
Chapter 31: Making a Mistake
Chapter 32: Hell
Chapter 33: Everything is Wrong
Chapter 34: Fugitives
Chapter 35: Interview
Chapter 36: Vale News Department
Chapter 37: Lisa Lavender
Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One
Chapter 39: Sasha, Part Two
Chapter 40: Questions
Chapter 41: Memories
Chapter 42: The Training, Part One
Chapter 43: The Training, Part Two
Chapter 44: War on Vale
Chapter 45: Salem, Part One
Chapter 46: Salem, Part Two
Chapter 47: Salem, Part Three
Chapter 48: Evil's Reality
Scrapped Ideas
Epilogue: Don't Leave Me

Chapter 13: The School Dance

108 5 11
By SecretMinty

Disclaimer: Song is not mine. It's an unused version of Lusties Nightclub from HuniePop. Don't judge me, I'm cultured. It probably would have been more fitting for Junior's club, but it works here too.

Just loop it if it ends. If you want, anyway.

...

Y/N knocked on the bathroom door. Vao was taking forever.

"Vao, hurry up!" He pleaded miserably through the door.

"I'm washing my face! Hold on a minute!"

"But I need to pee!"

"Do it in a cup or something! There's this thermos always lying around that I use when I'm drunk! It's got a dumbbell sticker!"

Sasha was drinking water from a thermos. Her thermos. With her dumbbell sticker on it. The giant spewed the water from her lips, slamming her angry fist against the door. From the other side, Vao screamed in terror.

"I was kidding! Please don't hurt me!"

Soon Vao came out of the bathroom. Gasping in relief, Y/N dove in and slammed the door shut. A minute later, he stepped back out.

"Ah... Thank Dust..."

Vao shoved a hand into his suit pocket, the other holding his flask. Y/N had forced him to wear a suit and not a dress. Mostly because the dress was stolen and the suit wasn't. "Being a bit dramatic, arent'cha mate?"

"You were in the bathroom for over an hour, Vao..."

"And? Look at me! I'm beautiful!" Vao bragged, tossing a strand of hair over his shoulder. Y/N could tell he put makeup on. And worse, Vao actually looked good with it. Y/N didn't know how to feel about that.

"Whatever... So where's your date?" Y/N asked. Cardin was standing next to Sasha, and Weiss was waiting for him at the ballroom. Verde and Vao were the only ones alone, and Y/N prayed that Vao had finally taken a hint. But the femboy shrugged.

"Oh, that. Some women I work with are coming."

"... Women? Like, more than one?" Cardin asked in confusion. "How did you of all people manage that?"

"Wot are you talking about? They're my best friends, of course I'd want them to come."

"Vao, this was supposed to be the time you invite someone special, not your friends. Like Verde?" Y/N whined. The artist looked up at him gratefully, relief flooding her green eyes. Sasha nodded.

"Yeah! You and Verde would be great together!" She encouraged. Cardin just gave a thumbs up paired with a smile.

"Well, it can't be Verde because we're just friends, you bloke." Behind him, Verde looked devastated. Vao scratched his chin. "Actually... We're more than that! We're total besties!"

Verde stood up abruptly, catching everyone's attention. She was trembling. "I... I-I'm going... To the party..." She stammered quietly. She ran from the room, not even bothering to look back. Vao shrugged.

"Okay! See you the- HOGH!?"

Vao dropped like a sack of potatoes when Sasha sucker punched him in the gut, rolling on the floor weakly. For once, he wasn't being dramatic; he just got floored by the giant capable of lifting over three hundred pounds.

"You're a real ass, you know that!?" Sasha roared angrily. Vao was teary eyed and dazed.

"U-unyu... Wot did I do this time...?"

Y/N just sighed, stepping over his older brother. "... Just forget it, Vao... You freaking disappointment..." As he and Sasha left, Cardin squatted down next to him.

"... You okay?"

"My guts feel like they moved to my throat..."

Cardin didn't want to be there if Vao puked. That would be disgusting. Patting the femboy's head, he quickly left the room, catching up with the others.

The halls, filled with life, only this time an aura of romance in the air. With decorations suspended from the ceiling, the three finally felt like they could truly relax.

And yet, fate had other plans. Even if their future looked brighter, it just couldn't.

The music was loud when they entered the ballroom. On the stage, a DJ was working the stand, waving one arm in the air wildly. Students were dancing together, at the punch table, or just talking on the side. Y/N could see his father with the other teachers, drinking punch at a wall as they talked. Even General Ironwood was there.

"Y/N! Over here!"

Weiss had to shout over the music to get his attention. Leaving Sasha and Cardin alone, he trotted up to the heiress.

"Who chose this song?" He asked. Weiss frowned.

"We couldn't find a proper DJ, so we asked Vao if he knew anybody! He said he had us covered, and the result was this! For once Vao was actually reliable!"

Y/N laughed. "Not too sure about that. He just sister-zoned Verde."

Weiss looked horrified. "What!? That poor girl!"

Y/N wasn't much of a dancer, so they found a couple of chairs to sit at, off the dancefloor. Verde wasn't far away, drinking cup after cup of punch by herself. There were already fifteen cups lying on the ground next to her as she sketched something in her notepad, her hands trembling. Weiss pointed, Y/N following her finger. Ruby was nearby, a bright smile on her face. It looked forced, but she seemed to be having fun. She was dancing alone, almost hugging the wall at this point.

"Wait... Is that Ruby?"

"Yes!" Weiss shouted. "She's acting like a normal person, and it's very suspicious!"

Y/N only laughed. "Oh come on, at least she's acting normal, right? She can have fun, too!"

Weiss still looked like she had her doubts, but shook it off. This wasn't the time for that. As suspicious as Ruby smiling and having fun was, at least she wasn't causing problems.

For once, it seemed like tonight was going to be a normal night.

...

Vao kicked the door open angrily, a massive tray of brownies in his hands. His friends were following him; the ones he invited from work. Who? The Malachite Twins.

"Hey, don't you think this is going a bit far? What if you get caught?" Milita warned. But Vao shook his head.

"I was already going to spike the punch, but then I got punched for no good reason! Brownie time..."

Melanie snickered, already on board with his idea, unlike her sister. "What did you put in them this time?"

Vao snickered, setting the tray on the table. "The goods, obviously. I had to take from my own stock, but hey, this might get me a few customers. Actually, scratch that mate, it will get me a few customers."

"This is why the boss loves having you around, Vao."

"I know." Vao looked around before reaching into his suit, pulling out a bottle. A special mixed drink Junior had brewed just for Vao and his ridiculous alcohol tolerance. He unscrewed the cap before dumping its contents into the punch kegs - not the bowl, but the entire stock, dipping his finger in and tasting it. "... The taste is obvious. Give me the sugar."

When Milita tossed him the bag of white powder, Vao stared at it for a moment before opening it and giving an experimental sniff. He threw it back. "The normal sugar."

With actual sugar in his hand, Vao dumped the whole bag in and gave another taste test. "Heheheheh... Perfect..."

"Oh boy, brownies!" Sasha hollered from somewhere behind him. The giant shoved him to the side, taking three into her hand and popping them in her mouth all at once. Sasha loves brownies.

"Uh, you should probably calm down, bruv..." Vao warned. But Sasha already swallowed a ninth one.

"Oh! Oh, Dust! This is amazing!" She shrieked. "I can see sound and hear colors!" As Sasha ran off into the crowd, Vao wondered if he made a mistake. Shrugging his shoulders, he danced his way back to the twins. He'd worry about it later, as he usually did. As for now, he had to prepare the club lights and smoke machine.

Not far off, Y/N was finally dancing with Weiss. The heiress laughed, pointing at the punch bowl. Already a crowd had formed, students trying to get another cup. "Looks like Professor Callows makes good punch! Let's try it out!"

They jogged to the punch bowl, barely managing to get their own cups. As Y/N sipped off of it, he smacked his lips. "... It tastes kind of funny... But it's good!" He finished off the cup, snagging a couple brownies on his way. He handed one to Weiss, who bit into it eagerly.

"Who made these brownies? I must pay them!"

"I don't know. They weren't here when we arrived."

Y/N took a bite, chewed, and swallowed. If anyone remembers, Y/N has a healing Semblance. However, he can't heal if he's taking continuous damage; a prime example being poison or burning. Now what did that mean? It means the effects hit him immediately.

The entire room exploded into a rainbow of colors for Y/N. And once the colorful lights blared on and the room filled with a light smoke, he was amazed. He felt invincible.

"Wo-woah! This... This brownie is amazing!" He screamed. Weiss was already eating her second one, Melanie setting down another tray behind her.
Y/N felt someone grab his shoulder, catching his attention. Vao was smirking, his flask in his other hand.

"Hey, bruv. Havin' fun?"

"Vao, I feel unstoppable!"

Vao held out another brownie. "Then how about another? Because now you're partying with Vao!"

If Y/N's brain had been functioning right, he would not have eaten another brownie. He would have been trying to stop Vao. But it wasn't, and he ate the brownie out of his brother's hand like a dog. Vao laughed loudly, skipping away into the crowd with his own brownie in his grasp.

It didn't take long for the true party to begin. Sasha had started a mosh pit, and others dancing wildly. Verde was the only one who hadn't eaten a brownie or the spiked punch. The artist watched as everyone devolved into animals, curiosity sparking inside her as she walked to the punch bowl, pouring herself a cup. She remembered Vao warning her not to drink the punch. But what could be the harm? Everyone else seemed to be having fun. She gulped down the cup, wiping at her lips. Shrugging, she poured herself another.

And in the midst of the chaos, completely unaware Verde started drinking the punch, Vao stood in the middle of it with his co-workers, a bright smile on his face. Clapping his hands, he began laughing. Melanie snickered. "Can we party now?"

"Not yet!" Vao cheered. "We still need to hand out the glow sticks! And the special sugar table!"

"Then can we party?" Milita asked. Vao nodded. That was just about his entire plan: turn the school dance into one big rave. The three split up, grabbing their own boxes of glow sticks.

...

Ruby looked around in confusion. She was the only one who hadn't drank the punch or eaten a brownie. Inside her head, Salem was thinking out loud.

["What in blazes... Everyone's gotten stupid..."]

The party was livening up, glow sticks being waved in the air as the DJ cranked the music up. Ruby covered her ears; the music was deafening. Inside her head, Salem sighed.

["I can't think clearly... Let's just leave..."]

For once, Ruby agreed with the parasite. But as she turned to leave, she bumped into Y/N and Weiss. They were both grinning like mad, their pupils bigger than dinner plates.

"Ruby!" Y/N shrieked happily. "Look at the funny lights!"

"So beautiful!" Weiss added, laughing loudly. Ruby didn't know what to say. She had never seen Y/N act like this before. But Salem was piecing it together.

["Wait a minute... Are they on drugs? Their pupils shouldn't be like that."] It snickered. ["I'll bet Vao put something in the brownies that everyone's been eating. And given that they're off balance, he spiked the punch, too. At least things will be interesting..."]

Ruby slapped her forehead. Of course Vao would spike the punch. He did it back at Signal twice. Salem hummed thoughtfully.

["... You know what, Ruby? Let's stay. I do enjoy watching chaos. Let's go eat a brownie. Let's drink the punch. Let's have some fun."]

Ruby felt the feeling in her legs fade away as Salem took control of her body, guiding her to the food table. Cardin was there, stuffing his face with whatever he could grab.

"W-wait, I don't want to!" Ruby begged. But as her arm reached for a brownie, Salem laughed.

["I didn't ask what you wanted. Just enjoy these last moments as yourself."] It's voice grew darker. ["And besides, I've got something planned thanks to Vao..."]

Ruby didn't have time to ask what it was. Her mouth was filled with the chocolate brownie. Her throat moved unwillingly, swallowing the tainted treat and washed down with the punch. And then she could move her body again.

["Have fun... I know I will, but only later..."]

Ruby felt like she could lift a car. She could taste the loud music of the club, her pupils expanding.

"W-wooooaaah...."

She staggered her way back into the crowd, staring at the party goers. Everyone was leaving after images, arms waving in the air like inflatable tube men. And suddenly, she crashed right into a wall of students.

A mosh pit had been started by Sasha, the giant launching her opponents a dozen feet in the air. The tanned barbarian held her arms up victoriously, waterfalling punch into her open mouth. A loud cry from the crowd followed, cheering her on.

Ruby staggered away, spotting Y/N and Vao dancing together. The katana-wielder was all smiles, swinging his body around like a flail. Vao wasn't even dancing. He was just laughing his ass off.

"Nice moves, bruv! Here, have another brownie!"

Ruby watched as Y/N stuffed the treat into his mouth, not even bothering to swallow. Salem was right; Vao was behind this. Of course he was. Ruby needed to stop him. She tried to follow as Vao literally danced his way through the crowd, tossing glow sticks into the air. He was screaming happily at the top of his lungs.

"Hahahaha! Come on, guys! Party harder! Go wild! Let chaos take the world!"

Ruby tripped over her own feet, her head spinning. Just what had Vao put in the brownies? Whatever it was, it was strong. The waving glow sticks didn't help her vision, and she quickly lost Vao in the crowd.

On the stage, Melanie was throwing brownies into the DJ's open mouth, the musician already tweaking out.

"Oh yeah! That's the shit!" The man practically screamed. He grabbed a dial, cranking it all the way to max. The speakers were rocking from the vibrations, the crowd a mix of excitement and deafness.

As Vao danced, he reached back into his pocket. His smile fell sadly. He was out of glow sticks. "Aw man..."

"V... Vaaaaaoooo...?"

Vao felt his heart slam against his ribs. And when he turned around, he realized why he had gotten spooked. Verde was standing behind him, swaying on her feet. The artist was pinching her face. "Vaaaaooo, I feel funny..."

Vao was beginning to panic. Ironwood was at the party, and the General would kill him if he found out what Vao had done. Verde took another sip from her punch, staring at it curiously. "Who made dis...?"

Vao gave the cup a swift kick, launching the beverage into the air. Spiked punch drenched the crowd, who began sucking on their shirts. As Vao stared, he began to feel a bit guilty. Just what had he done? His thoughts were interrupted when Verde grabbed him by the suit, pulling him down so he was eye level with her. Her eyebrows were arched down angrily - the first time she ever made her emotions public.

"Vao... Dance with me..."

...

Y/N was off fucking around with Weiss. What else would he be doing? No, not like that perverts. He was at one of the tables, gulping down more brownies.

"I can't get enough of these!" Weiss giggled. She shovelled them one by one, her fingers already brown. "To hell with dieting, I'm eating like a pig tonight!"

Y/N's attention was stolen when someone tapped him on the shoulder. A green eyed woman with black hair was smirking at him, holding a bag of white powder. Y/N's memory was hazy, but if he recalled correctly it was one of the women Vao had brought with him.

"Hey! I'm Milita! Scoot over!" She ordered. Y/N shifted to the left, allowing her to squeeze in. Opening the bag, she dumped it's contents on the surface of the table, using her debit card to push it into a line.

"Wha iz dat!?" Y/N slurred. Milita smirked.

"Special sugar! You sniff it! Go ahead, try it!"

Y/N leaned down, smelling the sugar. Milita laughed. "Not like that! Like this!" She pushed her nostrils against the table, inhaling the drug. Y/N gasped.

"Oh! Okay!" He took a big sniff, clearing the entire line. His nose burned like hellfire.

"Ow! Ow, ow!"

"Ooh, I wanna feel it too!" Weiss exclaimed.

Milita snickered darkly, slipping away and leaving the bag. As her heels clicked down the dancefloor, she spotted Vao being dragged away by an artist. He was screaming in terror. But who was going to help him? Certainly not her. Melanie stepped up to her, laughter escaping her throat.

"Some kid just pissed himself! This has to be the best party Vao has thrown in... Well, a couple days!"

Milita nodded excitedly, pointing at Y/N and Weiss, who were still snorting down the bag. "And those two are high as a kite! Mission accomplished! Now let's just enjoy ourselves, yeah!?"

Melanie held up two brownies, a smirk crossing her lips. "Waaay ahead of ya."

Further away, Raven was leaning heavily against the stage. She already knew she was high; this wasn't her first rodeo. But as for Tai... The man was freaking out.

"A-aliens! I see aliens!" He bawled.

Raven sighed in frustration. She just wanted to use the party to relax. Did she literally need to monitor her kid's every move?

Somewhere behind her, Ironwood was scratching at his artificial arm wildly, wondering why he couldn't feel anything. Ozpin was in the corner, pouring punch into his coffee greedily. Oobleck had successfully broken the sound barrier. Glynda had gotten knocked out by Sasha in the mosh pit. Tyrian and Port just wanted more brownies.

The real party had begun.

...

Verde was nearly yanking Vao's arms out of their sockets as she tried to dance. Vao was scared out of his wits. He had never seen this side of Verde, and he wished he hadn't.

"C-can we take a break!? I'm getting thirsty!" He begged. But Verde shook her head, her hair nothing more than a blur.

"No! I've been waiting for this!" She shouted angrily.

"Waiting for what, to break my arms!?"

"No! Why don't you ever get it!? No matter what I do, you never... You nev..." Verde stopped dancing, rubbing at her stomach. "I don't feel to goo- hrk!"

She puked on Vao, staining his suit. She swayed once, twice, before dropping to her knees. "Ooh... I don't feel good..."

Vao bent down, slinging the artist over his shoulder and looking around. He had to get out of here. But as he tried to leave, students kept getting in his way.

"Move, wanker!" He shouted, pushing someone out of his way. He kicked the door open, sprinting down the halls. He was grateful Verde was short; she wasn't very heavy.

As he gained distance, the music faded until he couldn't hear it anymore. And finally, he reached his room. With another swift kick, the door slammed against the wall, allowing him to step inside.

He set Verde down gently on his bed. He would have put her in her own, but he was too intoxicated to really remember whose was whose. His bed was the only one he recognized, mainly because there was an empty vodka bottle laying on top of it. The artist sat up, rubbing her head gently.

"Vaaaaaoooo, I'm hungryyy..."

Vao felt like shit. With a sigh, he began walking to the kitchen. As he walked, he slid off his soiled suit jacket and tossed it on the ground. "I told you not to drink the punch..."

"Buh ev'ryone else was doin' it..."

Vao should have known this would happen. He knew Verde didn't like alcohol, and he did it anyways. He was a terrible friend, and he hated himself for it. He grabbed a bag of chips, walking back into the room and turning the telly on. As he watched Verde hungrily devour the snack, he sat down on Y/N's bed. He felt like he should say something, but he also felt there was nothing to be said. For the first time in his life, Vao felt like a total piece of shit. The artist finished the crumbs, tossing the plastic to the ground lazily. The alcoholic looked at the TV, trying to avoid her gaze.

When she sobered up, Vao knew she'd hate him. And for some reason, that thought scared him more than anything. Even more than whatever Y/N was going to do to him in the morning. Maybe it was just that she was his team leader, his partner, Vao thought. But something didn't feel right about that answer, either.

Verde wasn't watching the TV. Dizzily she stood up, staggering her way towards Vao and sitting down at his side. She was leaning on his shoulder, staring at him intently.

"Vaaaaooo... Look at meee..."

Vao bit his lip, not obeying. "Verde... You're really drunk, and maybe a bit high... Just sleep it off..."

"Drunk...? Oh... You put something in the punch..." Verde muttered. She was piecing it together. She felt a bad memory coming back, clinging to Vao tightly. "I... I was drinking... O-oh..."

Her voice had dropped to a whisper. It really didn't help Vao's mood. For the first time, he genuinely felt disgusted with himself. He stood up, not even bothering to take his flask with him. He felt out of place. He felt he did something that hurt his leader. But as he reached the door, the artist called out to him.

"... Where are you going...?"

Vao hesitated, his hand still resting on the doorknob. "... You told me once you hated alcohol. I figured you'd be pretty angry with me. So I... I'm just gonna leave you here for a bit. I need some time to reflect..."

As he twisted the doorknob, he felt her hands grip his shoulders, pulling him away. He hadn't even heard her move.

"Please... Don't go..." Verde whispered. "I'm not angry, it's just... I can't be alone... Not with these thoughts... These memories..."

Vao didn't want to think it. But the way Verde had said it rubbed him the wrong way. He turned, his crimson eyes meeting her own green ones. "You're... Not thinking about killing yourself, are you mate...?"

Verde shook her head, stumbling on her feet a bit before regaining her balance. "No, it's..." She trailed off. A lump had formed in her throat. Her chest hurt. She wanted to tell him why she couldn't be alone, but no matter how hard she tried, the words wouldn't come out. Her eyes began to grow wet, sparkling in the moonlight that cast through the window. Vao released his hold on the doorknob, worry spreading across his feminine face.

"... Verde...?"

The artist forced it. She forced out the words.

"M-my father... My r-real father... He..." She stammered. "Vao... P-please, don't leave me alone..."

Vao guided her back to his bed, sitting down with her as he rubbed her back supportively. "... Wot happened to you?" He asked quietly. Verde's hands were squeezing her knees, her knuckles turning white. She wasn't speaking, and her breaths were sharp, painful whimpers escaping her clenched teeth. But after a long time, she finally spoke.

"Th... The reason I don't like alcohol... Is because of my f-father..." She began. She took another moment to wipe at her eyes and breathe. She had never told anyone this. She never spoke about it, not even to Ironwood despite the general knowing. It wasn't easy, but it would've been harder if she was telling someone she didn't trust. Vao waited patiently for her to regain her composure, his eyebrows knitted together in concern.

"... My father... Wasn't a good person..." Verde finally managed to say. "Because of him... What he did to me... I have trouble expressing myself. It was too easy to be indifferent to everything around me. To not feel anything..."

"Wot did he do...?"

Verde shifted uncomfortably. Vao watched as her hands moved to her lap, as if protecting herself. She didn't need to say anything else. Vao was stupid, but he could take a hint. He placed his free hand on Verde's shoulder, meeting her eyes again.

"... Are you alright?"

Verde didn't say a word. She just leaned forward into him, her forehead resting on his collarbone. He could feel her trembling.

"I... I'll never f-forgive him..." She whimpered softly. Vao didn't know what to do in this situation. He looked down, batting away the empty vodka bottle. It didn't need to be around Verde. Not now. The glass rolled across the floor, sliding somewhere under his desk.

"A-and then... I met you..."

Vao looked back down at Verde. She was staring up at him, tears staining her pale cheeks. It was the most emotional he had ever seen her. She bit her lip, a shaky breath going in, and then out of her lungs. "E-everyone thought I was weird... After Mr. Ironwood adopted me... B-because I never laughed. I never cried, or smiled... But you... Y/N... Sasha... You never left. You always included me in your adventures, always made me feel... Happy... Even if I never showed it, you always invited me to go out and do something dumb..."

Vao gave a soft smile, trying to comfort her as he wrapped his arms around her. "That's wot a team does. We're all friends, bruv..." But Verde punched him in the arm. It didn't hurt, but it was enough to make him flinch.

"You were the nicest to me... When we first met at the initiation, I thought my quietness would scare you off... L-like everyone else..." She breathed. Her voice was faltering. "But you kept making jokes... You continued to talk to me, ask questions about me... And you didn't stop, even after the initiation... You were... My first friend..."

Vao felt a sharp pain in his chest. That was the saddest thing he had heard in his life. "... And we'll still be friends, if that's wot you want..."

Verde's eyes hardened as she glanced away. And after a moment to collect her thoughts, she looked back up at him, a fiery resolve burning in her emerald eyes. "Why...? Why don't you get it...?" She whined helplessly.

"Get... Wot?"

Verde socked him in the arm again. "Dummes Arschloch..." (Stupid asshole.) She gripped his suit, pulling herself closer. "You make me... Feel wanted. You make me feel like everything is going to be okay, no matter what... When I see you... I want to smile. I want to laugh... Whenever you're around, I feel like I can express myself... No one has ever made me feel this way... You make me feel... Safe..."

Vao opened his mouth to speak, but closed it immediately. Verde wasn't finished.

"Every day... I try to get you to notice me. To see me as more than a friend... When you invited those coworkers, it hurt. I... I wanted to dance with you, Vao...! You're... You're the most special person to me... I want to be more. I want to know you. I want you. But... You only want to be friends... Am I... Not good enough?"

Vao pulled her closer, leaning down so his face was close to hers, their noses grazing each other. "I don't ever want to hear you say that again, mate. I..." He trailed off. His heart was beating like thunder.

If Vao was going to be completely honest, he had never felt any sort of romantic interest in anyone before. He never dated anyone, nor did he have any interest. He had only partied and gotten drunk. Yet Verde was different. She made Vao feel strange, too. He thought back to why he visited her often in the hospital. He thought back to why he felt so horrible when he made her cry in Ruby's room. And finally, the gears began to turn in Vao's head, clicking into place like clockwork. He looked back at Verde, his forehead resting against hers.

"... I like you too. I always felt... Like I wasn't the right guy. That's why I always ignored your comments. It's why I didn't ask you to the dance. I'm not very smart, and I still have trouble even reading... I'm just dead weight, Verde..." He could feel a lump growing in his throat, and no matter how hard he swallowed, it wouldn't disappear. He looked back at her, his crimson eyes glimmering. "So don't play with me like that... Is this... Really what you want...?"

He could feel Verde's breath tickling his lips as she drew nearer, smell her perfume mixed with the alcohol.

"I've... Never wanted anything more in my life... I fell in love with you, Vao..."

Their lips were warmed up as they met, holding each other gently. As if they'd hurt one another. Slowly Verde pushed him down on the bed, laying on top of him. Until finally, they broke free from the kiss. The artist was staring down at him, wiping at her eyes.

"I heard something about alcohol... That it makes your lips loose, and the truth begins to slip... So please, Vao... No more secrets... Do you feel the same?"

Vao ran a thumb over his own eyes, his makeup smearing on the tip. But his lips curled, the tips of his teeth showing as he smiled up at her. "Of course I do... I just didn't think anyone would be attracted to me..."

Verde nodded, a soft laugh escaping her lips. "Yeah... You're loud, arrogant, and very rude..."

"... Ow...?"

"But I've always seen it in you, Vao... You're a wonderful person. You care about others, even if you act like you don't. When you see something wrong, you try to be there for that person... I think you're amazing..."

Vao felt touched. He pulled her closer to him, their lips meeting once again until he pulled the covers over them. He thought about Verde's words. About no more secrets. He looked at the artist, finally making a decision.

"... Verde..."

The artist looked up at him. Vao didn't know how to start. Anyone in their right mind would leave him if they knew. But Vao couldn't hide something like that from someone like Verde. Eventually, she would find out.

"About where I work..."

He told her everything. And when he was done, Verde rested a hand on his cheek.

"... I don't care, Vao... It doesn't change how I feel... I'm... Just happy, to finally be with you..." She whispered. Vao felt relief filling his chest.

He hadn't even realized he teared up. Pulling Verde closer, he rested his chin on top of her head. And eventually, the couple fell asleep in each other's arms, the moon casting it's soft light onto their stilled bodies.

...

"Unh...?"

That was the first words out of Y/N's mouth that entire day. His entire body ached and burned, as if he had stuck a fork in a toaster. The afternoon sun cast down from the ballroom windows; the curtains had been torn off. Groggily he sat up, cradling his aching head. He felt like he had been hit with a baseball bat. "Oh... Ow, ow, ow..."

He gazed at his surroundings, gazed at the pure destruction around him. Students and teachers alike were sleeping on the ground, on tables, and Cardin had somehow managed to get on top of the chandelier. The DJ was long gone, taking his entire setup with him. "... What."

"Tell me about it..." Weiss murmured painfully from beside him. She looked sick, her skin tinted a light hue of green. "What happened last night?"

Y/N tried to think back. He remember d getting to the party, grabbing some punch and brownies...

Of course. Of course he would. Y/N didn't know what Vao put in the brownies, and he didn't want to know, but he knew what Vao did to the punch. He groaned in frustration. "... He spiked the punch."

"Who?"

"Who do you think?" It didn't take Weiss that long to figure it out. The heiress leapt to her feet angrily - only to sit back down, whining about her migraine. Y/N sighed sullenly. He should have expected Vao to pull something like this; after all, the alcoholic had done it at Signal multiple times. He looked back at Weiss. "You have any aspirin? Or Tylenol?"

"Yeah... It's in my room. Follow me." Limping, she guided him out of the ballroom and into the hallway. Y/N nudged her out of concern.

"... Is your leg okay?"

"I think I just twisted it... I don't remember how..." She groaned, rubbing her forehead. "Seriously, what happened last night? It looked like a snowstorm went through there..."

"My brother is what happened," Y/N growled. "When I get my hands on him, I swear I'll chuck his prosthetic in the trash. Let him crawl around on all threes for a bit."

"All threes?" Weiss echoed. Then she remembered Vao was missing a leg. She snickered lightly. "Nevermind, I got it..."

They were at Team RWBY's dorm now. As Weiss fished around in her pockets for her scroll, she continued the conversation. "Where did Vao go anyway? I didn't see him in the ballroom."

"Probably getting hammered again," Y/N suggested. Weiss turned and gave him a worried look.

"This early in the morning?"

"Weiss, it's two in the afternoon."

"Oh..." Weiss finally found her scroll, pressing it against the lock. A soft click resonated through the silent air, and Weiss pushed her way inside. The lights were off. "Huh? I could have sworn I left the lights on..."

Slam!

The door slammed shut behind them, leaving Y/N and Weiss in near pitch darkness. The only light that entered was the dim light that shone through the closed curtains - yet it was enough for them to see her.

The left side of Ruby's face was the only thing visible. Her black eyes staring at them, her mouth curled into a crescent grin. Weiss scoffed.

"Ugh..." She groaned. "Ruby, turn the lights on! It's been a long night!"

But Ruby remained silent. Y/N could feel something bubbling in his heart - fear. Something was very, very wrong. Ruby's face grew closer as she stepped forward, her pink tongue flicking out as she licked her dry, chapped lips. Weiss seemed unnerved, but didn't falter. "Are you listening? Turn on the lights, will you?"

Something shone in the dark. Y/N barely had time to react, pushing Weiss out of the way as the knife sang through the air - and straight into his side. Pain shot through his hip, a scream escaping his lips. Weiss stumbled backwards, her hand sliding against the light switch.

Ruby shoved Y/N to the ground, a soft giggle escaping her parted jaws. Her knife dripped with a fresh coat of blood, looming over Y/N like a shadow.

"Finally..." Ruby gasped. It was as if she has having trouble breathing, the black sludge dripping from her nose. "I finally... Have you now, Y/N..."

Weiss could only watch, frozen in terror as Y/N backpedaled away from his younger sister, clutching his bleeding hip. Ruby's fingers twitched as she reached out, grabbing the front of his dress shirt. Her breath reeked of meat as she leaned forward, staring Y/N into the eyes.

"That fool Vao... His stupidity once again made him useful. And now, I can finally rid myself of you."

This wasn't Ruby. What Y/N didn't know was that Ruby was gone. Replaced and used as nothing more than a puppet for what lied just beneath the skin. He could feel primal terror bubbling in his chest as Ruby lifted him to his feet with ease - as if he weighed nothing at all. She reared her arm back, the stained knife glinting as she prepared to plunge it into his neck.

He was going to die. Y/N struggled, punching and kicking at her, trying to break free. But kicking Ruby was like kicking a brick wall. No matter how hard, or where he struck, she didn't flinch. It was inhuman. Weiss tried to intervene, charging at the younger student with a scream of horror.

Weiss dropped, holding her stomach as she laid on the floor. With one swift movement, coupled with her Semblance, Ruby had punched Weiss down. Ruby looked back at Y/N, her smile widening.

"You humiliated me... But your biggest mistake was wishing for my return. It's a shame; I would have enjoyed breaking you like I did that crossdressing imbecile. But I'm past that; you really struck a nerve. Now, die knowing this - I'll make them all suffer again. Everyone you've ever known and loved. I'll twist them, play with them. And then I'll kill them like the animals they are. Humans, Faunus, it doesn't matter. I'll kill them all, and use their souls to rebuild my strength once more. Do you hear me? I am Salem! I am-"

Ruby was cut off when something slammed into her side, launching her into the wall. When Y/N hit the ground, he looked up. Vao and Verde had broken into the room - Vao had body checked Ruby away, saving Y/N's life.

"W-wot the bloody hell...?" Vao stammered. He was staring at the hands he had used to push Ruby - they were covered in a black goop. But when he looked up, Ruby was gone. As if she was never there. Y/N finished using his Semblance, standing to his feet.

Vao had given Ruby the perfect chance to attack. And because of him, she escaped. But it wasn't Y/N who spoke. It was Weiss.

"You... You slimy good-for-nothing bastard..." She hissed.

"Wot did I do?"

Weiss screamed in anger, trying to hit Vao. But Y/N stepped in the way, stopping her in her tracks. He turned a glare at his brother. "Our room. Now. Get Sasha, Yang, Blake, and Cardin. You owe us, Vao. Big time."

...

As they sat around the table, Vao trembled underneath their glares. He knew he was in trouble. Weiss leaned forward, her elbows resting against the table. Her face was a dark shade of red - she was furious.

"... What. The hell. Is wrong with you?"

No one at the table dared to move a muscle. Weiss hissed through her teeth, her hands shaking. "You let Ruby get away! All because of you and your stupid pranks!"

"Wasn't even a prank," Cardin growled. "He straight up drugged the entire school..." Next to him, Yang cracked her knuckles, her eyes tinted with a light hue of red. "He's lucky we're talking to him and not the police..."

Verde was the only one who didn't seem angry with him. Then again, she never physically expressed her emotions. The only way it was obvious for sure was the fact that the artist was holding his hand. Sasha arched an eyebrow. "What's up with you? I figured you'd be the angriest, since you hate drinking."

Verde looked up proudly. "He refused to take advantage of me and kept me safe. He may be irresponsible at times, but he's a wonderful person. And I am certain he will make an even better boyfriend."

"Hold on... Vao figured it out?" Cardin gasped. He wasn't even trying to make fun of him. He was genuinely surprised. Verde shook her head.

"I told him directly."

"That explains it..." Blake muttered.

Weiss slapped her hand against the table, standing upright and pointing a finger at him. "Dating or not! You let Ruby escape when we had her cornered! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't contact the authorities!" She shouted angrily. But it wasn't Vao who answered. It was Y/N. He had been doing a lot of thinking.

"... Where do you work, Vao?"

Everyone looked to him in surprise. Weiss shook her head. "Now's not the time for that, Y/N!"

But Y/N didn't listen. "I've been thinking about it for a few months now... You always dodge the question, or outright yell at us. Something... isn't right with that, Vao." He rested his hands on the table, locking his fingers together. "You also mentioned making brownies for clients. And you said your date was a couple of coworkers. And then everybody was drugged that same night... and while ago, you mentioned you had a couple of guys at work trying to figure out Ruby's problem. So don't lie to us, Vao. Where the hell do you work?"

Vao could feel sweat rolling down his forehead. He was cornered like a rat in a maze. Y/N was smart. Smarter than he had planned. And on top of that, Y/N knew Vao. He could tell when he lied. And Vao really didn't like that. He lowered his head, biting his lip.

"I... I can't tell you..."

"Don't give me that," Y/N said firmly. "You owe us, Vao."

Vao looked around the table warily. Everyone was staring at him. But he couldn't tell them. With a shaky sigh, he stood up.

"Okay... I'll tell you..." He whispered. "B-but... how about we drink something while we wait?"

"I'm not drinking anything you give me," Weiss growled. Y/N lifted his hand to stop her. "There's soda in the fridge. You can get us that. Verde, go with him."

Vao nodded, stepping into the kitchen. Verde watched as he grabbed the soda, setting up the cups. "... What will you do, Vao?" She asked quietly. "You really can't just take them to where you work..."

"I... I got a plan..." Vao whispered. "But I'll need you to play along... Okay?"

"... Okay. I know you wouldn't hurt me..."

As he poured the eight cups, he dug into his pocket with his free hand. Clasped in his fingers were pills. Six in total. Moving swiftly, he dropped them inside, watching as they dissolved into nothing, leaving no trace behind. Setting them on a tray, he carried them back in, passing them out and ensuring he didn't grab a spiked one. He watched nervously as everybody began to drink. But most of all, he watched Y/N.

Y/N set the empty glass down, looking back up at his brother. "Thanks. Now, are you going to tell us?"

Thud.

Y/N looked around in surprise, and then horror. Everyone had fallen unconscious, soda spreading across the table. Everyone except Vao. The Branwen stood up, his face finally twitching to show his fear. Verde had grabbed the wrong cup, leaving Y/N conscious.

"Ha... ha ha..." He laughed quietly. "Now look what you've gone and made me do..."

Y/N looked up to his older brother in terror. Suddenly, the harmless, illiterate Vao seemed like a dangerous enemy. "V-Vao... did you... d-did you...?" Y/N couldn't even finish his sentence. But Vao already knew what he wanted to say.

"No, no... they're alive, just... well, sleeping, to put it lightly..." Unable to move, Y/N watched as Vao walked behind him, disappearing from sight. The femboy leaned down, whispering into his ear.

"I knew this day would come eventually... I just hoped I was wrong..." He said softly. "I can't tell you where I work... My Boss doesn't take chances. He's smart. Cautious. An amazing leader... So let big brother take care of it... But first, does this rag smell like chloroform?"

Y/N felt the cloth press up against his face. Almost immediately, his eyelids began to drop. The last words he heard from his brother were barely audible, but seared into his memory.

"Sweet dreams..."

And then Y/N fell forward, slumping against the table. Vao sighed, shoving the rag back in his pocket before running to the kitchen and washing his hands. As the water ran through his fingers, he sighed.

He couldn't just walk out of the room with seven unconscious bodies. Especially not with the cameras around. He would have to rely on his Semblance. Turning the faucet off, he stepped back into the main room before lining everybody up, shoulder to shoulder. He could teleport them all at once if he laid down on top of them and stretched his arms. And that's exactly what he did.

The room filled with ash, and before Vao knew it he was shivering in the parking lot next to his car. He wished he had a jacket for the cold autumn breeze that ruffled his long hair. He fished out his keys, clicking a button and lifting the trunk open.

"Alright, Sasha's first..."

It took effort to lift his teammate off the ground. She was two hundred and ten centimeters tall; she was heavy. He barely balled her up enough to even fit. Breathing hard, Vao tossed everyone else in the trunk, but was unable to squeeze in Verde. He sighed, setting her back on the ground closing the trunk. Except it didn't; it just popped back open.

"... Wot."

Vao closed it again, but it popped open. He tried slamming it, but only got the same result. He looked down, spotting Cardin's arm sticking out. It was bruised, but didn't look broken.

"... Oops."

Vao slid the limb inside before closing the trunk again. This time it stayed shut. Lifting Verde again, he gently pushed her into the passenger seat and buckled her seatbelt, finally taking his place in the driver's side. He leaned in the steering wheel as he started the car, letting out a shaky sigh.

This wasn't his first kidnapping. He did this a lot more often than he would like to admit for work. What made this time different was that Vao was kidnapping people he cared about. He took a sip from his flask before looking at the tin. And then he took several gulps, emptying the entire thing. Tossing it to the side, he backed up his car, his tires screeching against the pavement as he drove as quickly as he dared off school grounds.

As he drove down the highway to Vale, his hands wouldn't stop shaking. He was nervous.

"Oh... Dust, I've really done it now..."

It was an hour before he got to the city. He only arrived so quickly because he was speeding. He was forced to slow down as he navigated the busy nighttime streets, mentally praying he wouldn't be pulled over. It would be a problem if anyone saw Verde, or the back of his trunk. Vao thought to himself before reaching into the center console and pulling out a pair of sunglasses, placing them over Verde's eyes. He hoped it would work like the movies.

But it didn't matter. Because soon, a nightclub came into view...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 57K 36
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
987 68 9
"You're more than just a friend to me... If anything, you're my lovable drummer." For as long as he lived in Japan, (Y/N) (L/N) has always enjoy goi...
2.3K 172 133
This is the continuation of the story (since the maximum chapter of wattpad's policy is 200 only) This is where the next chapters resides, the secret...
2.3M 118K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...