The Farren Queens

By thewraithslibrary

In the small kingdom of Farren, Amara Niran is about to be crowned queen. Little does she know, enemies lurk... More

Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir
Amara
Samir

Samir

15 3 0
By thewraithslibrary

How would this girl stop the most powerful man in the world, if she didn't even know how her country's taxes worked? His father had told him to protect her, but Samir was beginning to believe he had to teach her too.

The bakers had left a few matches, and Samir lit the fireplace. He was beginning to miss Basam more and more. He longed for the days that were so hot he felt as if his skin would melt off. The night air would cool the desert, and Samir would lay outside under the stars. It had only been raining a few hours, but Samir already wished it would stop. His clothes were soaked through, and his teeth chattered together. The fire helped, and after he sat down for a few minutes he felt they might have a chance.

He still felt bad stealing from the bakery. It wasn't on a nice street, and he could imagine the child that depended on the small business, but he needed to eat, otherwise he would lose his mind.

"Why is it so important to stop William Bates anyway?" she grumbled as Samir began a second sweet roll.

"He'll destroy Massaponai, and then Farren. He'll save Basam for last, but we'll lose anyway. If we don't stop him from getting that Monian water, we have no chance."

"Why can't he just be happy with Bek and its colonies? They're already twice the size of Basam!"

Samir tried to keep his temper in check. He had to remind himself that Farren didn't have half of the intelligence Basam did. "Bates heard a prophecy that said it was his destiny to rule the world. Someone must've forgotten to tell him that prophecies are the least reliable source of information. They're always changing."

"All of this from a fortune teller?" Amara scoffed,
"He may as well have asked a child. Surely the rest of Bek won't agree with him."

Samir explained how Bates's kouzlo worked. Bit by bit, over long periods of time, he was able to brainwash almost anyone, except for Amara. If he wished, he could also change the way their mind worked, turning them into empty shells of humans. However, both methods caused him torturous pain. The slower he controlled people, the less pain he was in.

"What happens to the shells?" her voice was hollow, and he suspected she knew one of his victims.

"We're not sure." he replied.

Amara stood up. "We need to find my sisters."

Even though Samir prepared himself for the freezing rain, he was surprised when the rain landed on his head. It wasn't supposed to be that cold. He looked over to see Amara undeterred by it. He tried to copy her, but within minutes he was shivering again.

"Where is everyone?" she asked, still unaware she was talking to him.

I don't know. Maybe there was a party, and we weren't invited?

"Right."

They continued walking through the empty streets. The cold was giving Samir a headache, but he was distracted by a flash of movement out of the corner of his eye.

What was that?

"What was what?"

Get your dagger.

"Samir doesn't seem worried. I'll be fine." As soon as she finished the thought, a tall figure dressed in all black gagged Samir from behind while another did the same to Amara. He felt the figure tie his hands together. Samir could smell the sweet rolls from the bakery, though they were far from it. His eyes were covered by thin cloth, but he was able to see silhouettes through it. Samir tried to escape, but a sickly sweet scent filled the air as his head began to spin, and the world faded to black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

447K 14.7K 61
Child of the Eldest Gods from the East, Heiress of Earth and Legacy of Stars and Magic, Has the Affinity to Balance the Peace of Nature, Fated Love i...
129K 4K 27
"do i look like i give a shit if he's poseidons son?" water from the fountain splashed into her face, dripping from the dark ends of her hair "the f...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
28.7M 913K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...