Rebirth of a Cannon Fodder fr...

By SuvarnaKhobragade

As the only girl born in the four generations of the Mo family - a prestigious and powerful family in Hua Xia... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 21.1
CHAPTER 22.2
CHAPTER 22.3
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97
CHAPTER 98
CHAPTER 99
CHAPTER 100
CHAPTER 101
CHAPTER 102
CHAPTER 103
CHAPTER 104
CHAPTER 105
CHAPTER 106
CHAPTER 107
CHAPTER 108
CHAPTER 109
CHAPTER 110
CHAPTER 111
CHAPTER 112
CHAPTER 113
CHAPTER 114
CHAPTER 115
CHAPTER 116
CHAPTER 117
CHAPTER 118
CHAPTER 119
CHAPTER 120
CHAPTER 121
CHAPTER 122
CHAPTER 123
CHAPTER 124
CHAPTER 125
CHAPTER 127
CHAPTER 128
CHAPTER 129

CHAPTER 66

7.9K 336 31
By SuvarnaKhobragade

Chapter 66

Mo Di nodded at the doctor’s words. 

“Thank you for your help, Dr. Wang.” Mu Tian Heng adjusted his mood and thanked the doctor, “I have to invite you to dinner in a couple of days.”

“No, no, it’s nothing.”

Mu Tian Heng said: “You’re too humble. This gratitude I have to repay. Your help was tremendous.”

“Not at all. All I did was run some tests.” Dr. Wang smiled. “But I do have a small favor to ask of you, Director Mu.”

“Dr. Wang, please don’t hesitate.”

“Sigh… it’s about my son. He wants to apply as a postgraduate student at M University but his resume is not very glorious. He had no prior experience or outstanding achievements, so…” Dr. Wang said with abasement. “I want to ask for your help in letting him do some internship at your company, make his resume look a little better…”

Mu Tian Heng understood immediately: “No problem, I’ll let him learn under one of our more experienced programmers. However, whether or not he can make anything out of it is beyond my help.”

“That’s good enough, that’s all I’m asking.” Dr. Wang knew that he should not overstep his boundaries and expressed his thanks, “Thank you, Director Mu. I’m well aware of my son’s capabilities, I don’t dare to ask for anything else.”

…..

After exchanging a few more pleasantries, Mu Tian Heng left with Mo Di.

“Are you still uncomfortable? Are the symptoms going away?”

Seeing Mo Di’s pale face, Mu Tian Heng was filled with heartache and anger. He wanted so much to hold him in his arms.

“I’m fine, brother. It’s not uncomfortable anymore. Really.” Mo Di was still a little nauseous but it was a lot better than before and bearable.

Lai De Si was cast aside where he stayed soundlessly. He had thought that Mo Di was just being paranoid but unexpectedly… who would’ve thought he really was drugged!

The culprit was too malicious, this could destroy his entire life!

Mu Tian Heng gently rubbed Mo Di’s hair: “Get a sick leave for tomorrow. Don’t go to class for the next two days, stay home and rest, ok?”

“Brother, I can’t.” Mo Di shook his head.

“The Spring Festival comes early next year and so will the holidays. We’re near the end of the course and the last few classes are critical, I can’t afford to be absent. Furthermore, if I were to do that, the culprit will be on alert. I want to find out who did this and the true mastermind. I can’t let them go unpunished.”

After saying his piece, Mo Di sweetened his tone, with a smile he said: “Brother, I’m fine now, it’s really nothing.”

Mu Tian Heng’s dark eyes stayed on Mo Di for a while. He finally sighed and embraced him in his arms.

“You can rely on me a little more, you know.”

“I’m already very dependent on you.” Mo Di smiled and hugged Mu Tian Heng back. His cheek pressed on his shoulder, “Brother, you’re the one I trust and rely on the most.”

Lai De Si pouted as a sour taste was getting stronger in his mouth.

I’m also a very reliable person, ok!

…..

Although Mo Di was not going to ask for leave, he came back to the villa with Mu Tian Heng for the night.

Mo Di took another bath then went to the living room in his yellow pajamas to discuss matters with Mu Tian Heng.

He had been too busy lately and did not have the time to shop for a new set like he said he would.

Mu Tian Heng was typing when he saw Mo Di coming: “I made you a cup of pear juice. You should drink it before the color changes.”

“En, thank you, brother.” Mo Di picked up the cup of freshly squeezed pear juice and took a sip. The sweet liquid flowed down his throat but his heart felt like it swept by a feather, light and warm.

Mu Tian Heng could always touch the deepest part of his heart with his care and gentleness.

Moments after, Lai De Si also came out from his shower wearing a T-shirt and boxers. He sighed and said: “Hua Xia’s heating is amazing, it’s so warm and comfortable.”

“You’re not going to bed?” Mu Tian Heng looked at Lai De Si.

“With what just happened, how could I possibly sleep? What are your plans, count me in.” Lai De Si walked over and sat down.

Mu Tian Heng did not object. He swayed the laptop and showed the screen to Lai De Si: “The information is all here. Du Wen Jing is a very questionable person.”

Lai De Si bent over to look at the screen, “Hmm… there’s something odd about Du Wen Jing…”

“What?”

“Can’t tell. Just a feeling that something does not sit right with her…” Lai De Si frowned. “Nevermind. It’s probably just me. Du Wen Jing was born in the countryside and has a brother?”

“Yes. Her brother, Du Wen Long, is twenty-one this year, five years younger than her. He’s now a third-year student of some college in the south. He’s not very capable and is always asking her for money.” Mo Di said: “According to Du Wen Jing, she would give her brother 5k a month even with the salary of 8k that she got from her previous job. After joining the team, I paid her 12k a month and gave her an advance payment so she could pay her rent.”

“Little Mo Di, that’s not the right way to do it.” Lai De Si said: “She only entered your team for less than a month, it’s good enough that you’re giving her a higher salary, why did you give her an advance payment?”

Mo Di answered calmly: “Because I think she’s quite pitiful and wanted to give her hand.”

“And we both have been under prejudice and discrimination from our families. I thought I understood her and could sympathize with her. That’s why I wanted to help”

“Damn it! It just pisses me off.” Lai De Si was furious, “Du Wen Jing is too… too, what’s the phrase… a white-eyed wolf!”

Mu Tian Heng rubbed Mo Di’s hair. He did not preach, only ask: “You’ve done a background check on her on the internet, haven’t you?”

“Um, I did and I did not find anything wrong with her.”

“I also did a search just now. I asked Li Cheng and the others to help as well and they did not spot any glaring problems. The person behind her is very meticulous.” As Mu Tian Heng explained, his tone became increasingly cold. He pulled up a screen and said: “But I managed to find some discrepancies. Here are her financial records.”

“What’s wrong with it?” Lai De Si looked through it and asked: “I don’t see anything.”

“There’s something not right.” Mu Tian Heng opened another page, “These are the accounts that she had transferred money to in the last two months. The account starting with 0258 is her brother’s and this account, for the past two months, would immediately withdraw the 5000 Du Wen Jing sent and the 1000 from their parents as soon as the money was transferred.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Lai De Si was even more confused.

Mo Di’s expression changed. He exclaimed: “That’s definitely strange.”

“What is it?” Lai De Si was completely clueless, “Explain clearly you two!”

“How much do you spend a month?” Mu Tian Heng looked at Lai De Si.

“I…” Lai De Si sulked and took out his phone to check. “Let me check my account. Oh, I spent 38k this month but I’ve saved up compared to last month. It’s nearly the end of the month and I still haven’t past the 40k mark!”

“Including cash?” 

“Even with cash, it’s still not 40k. And who still uses cash in Hua Xia?! It’s more convenient to swipe… that’s not right.” Lai De Si was enlightened. “I got it! Du Wen Long is a twenty-one-year-old who likes to go out and have fun. He’s a spender and there’s no way he uses cash to pay for everything and yet, he withdrew every penny from his account?”

“That’s right. For the last two months, Du Wen Long had withdrawn all the money in his accounts. There’s nothing left for him to make any electronic transfers.”

Mu Tian Heng continued typing across the keyboard, “I also hacked into his campus administration and found that he had not been spending anything with his campus card.”

“That’s too unusual.” Mo Di thought of something ominous and his expression changed, “Brother, do you have information on Du Wen Long’s group chat with his classmates? Is there any mention of his current situation?”

“I’m still trying to find out.” Mu Tian Heng’s long and powerful fingers were almost impossible to follow as he typed. Moments later: “I got it. Someone mentioned him a week ago, saying how he had been playing and not coming to class for a month and that they envied him.”

“Absent for a month?!”

“One month of absenteeism from this kind of college wouldn’t normally attract much attention.” Mu Tian Heng’s brows creased, “But Du Wen Long’s situation is very fishy.”

“So what we should focus on for now is not Du Wen Jing but her brother, Du Wen Long.” With that, Mo Di ran back to his room to retrieve his laptop. 

Upon his return, he said: “Brother, let’s start tracing Du Wen Long’s activities. His recent abnormalities, I suspect Qin Cheng Yi has a hand in this!”

“I’ll check his immigration records to see if he’s been traveling.” Mo Di said, “Brother, you check his financials. There’s definitely a clue there.”

“No problem. Lai De Si and I will investigate his transactions and spending habits.”

“All right! Let’s pull an all-nighter!” Lai De Si rolled up his sleeves.

Mu Tian Heng added: “I’ve also requested help from George and the others. They will be looking up Du Wen Long’s social network and personal interactions for the last two months”

Mo Di had no intention of sleeping but today was an exhausting day. And coupled with the side effects of the drug, Mo Di finally dozed off at four in the morning.

Mu Tian Heng carried the sleeping Mo Di back to his bedroom.

Seeing Mu Tian Heng came back, Lai De Si twitched his lips.

“You were expecting Mo Di to fall asleep, weren’t you? I was surprised as to why you did not make him go to bed and instead let him stay and work.”

“Even if I told him to go, he will never agree.” Mu Tian Heng tidied up Mo Di’s empty milk glass.

“So you deliberately give him milk and honey to make him sleep faster, didn’t you?” Lai De Si sighed, “You old fox. That can be considered attentive but at the same time luring someone to sleep is also the act of a beast.”

“But little Mo Di can be quite headstrong. I think he’s only willing to rely on you.” Lai De Si stared at Mu Tian Heng, “If you’re not here, I’m afraid he won’t even ask me for help.”

Mu Tian Heng looked at the empty milk glass and various emotions were trapped in his eye.

Advertisements

The next day, Mo Di slept till late in the afternoon at which he woke up in a daze.

As he was about to get up, his head sunk with a buzz and an oppressive pain filled his head.

Mo Di hissed and covered his head. This side effect is quite powerful.

“You’re awake.” Mu Tian Heng happened to come in and saw Mo Di grabbing his head. He quickly went to him, “What’s wrong? Headache?!”

“It’s ok. I got up too abruptly just now. I’m just a little dizzy.” Mo Di did not want Mu Tian Heng to worry. He smiled: “Brother, what time is it? I have to go back to school.”

“It’s already noon. Don’t go back.” Mu Tian Heng sat by the bed and gently smoothed Mo Di’s bed hair. “I called Xian Yu Chao and asked him to get you a sick leave for today. Don’t worry, your conduct will not be affected.”

“Sick leave?” Mo Di grabbed his phone from the bedside table and was shocked, “It’s already past twelve?!!”

He had hardly ever slept past twelve in the afternoon in his two lifetimes!

“You should at least get some rest for two days. You’ve been busy with making games, studying, and working with the team. And after what happened yesterday, shouldn’t you give yourself a break?” Mu Tian Heng softy pinched Mo Di’s face, “Don’t overexert yourself. If you fall sick, you won’t be the only one in pain.” 

“I…” Mo Di gazed into Mu Tian Heng’s gentle yet serious eyes and blushed, “I understand.”

“Good.” Mu Tian Heng smiled, “Take your time to freshen up. Lunch is ready, come out and eat later.”

“En.” Mo Di answered. As the thought of Du Wen Jing suddenly hit him, he couldn’t help but asked: “Brother, have you found out anything wrong with the Du siblings?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

387K 7K 66
When Li Yulan realized that the world she lived in was a book, she was being dragged to a black clinic for an abortion. According to the original plo...
45.6K 927 188
She is the heart of everyone, she is the little princess in the capital circle, she is the eldest lady who trampled the underworld under her feet, sh...
30.5K 605 39
Both were complete strangers. One wants to become powerful and domineering in life. While other wants a simple one... They don't have any differenc...
38.7K 386 25
Song You was very beautiful when she got married. She married Han Cheng, the deputy head of the group. Only after she got married did she realize how...