His Pride & Her Prejudice (in...

By addieAft

Ever wondered what Elizabeth Bennett will be like in today's world, like driving a beat-up Volkswagen, sharin... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Epilogue

Chapter Two

293 16 13
By addieAft

"Wow, this party is rocking." Charlotte gave her best friend a glass of punch and grabbed her own with the other hand. "You did a good job."

"Thank you." Ella took a sip of her drink. "I have to say more people showed up than expected. It's a good thing I rented extra tables and chairs. I had a hunch that many people will gatecrash just to glimpse a certain someone."

"This's why you got the promotion." She raised her glass.

Ella obliged her with a click.

"Hey, are my eyes deceiving me?" Charlotte cried all of a sudden. "Mary in a dress!"

"It's Kitty's. They are the same height." Ella grinned. "Mom had to threaten her into one, or it was the streets for her to spend the nights. Apparently, dental students are cash-strapped. Hence, the poor thing relented. I would have allowed her to stay, but Mary needs to figure out her shit."

Before Charlotte could say anything, there was a commotion nearby the fountain on the far side of the garden. It looked like a scrum of people. They all chatted with great exuberance.

"What's gotten into them?" Ella wondered, setting her glass on the stone railing of the gallery hallway. Her location afforded her the panorama view of the garden at the Shah's.

In response, her small walkie-talkie came alive with static. "Bennet, the guest of honour, has arrived. Another thing, he has brought with him a William Darcy and his sister, Pippa Chambers."

"Roger that," she answered. Great. Another two freeloaders.

"Pippa Chamber," exclaimed Charlotte. "Ah! Here comes the wicked sister."

"What do you mean?" Ella threw her an inquisitive look.

"Have you looked up the Chambers family?"

"Of course. It's part of my job to research the guests, so I know what food they like and what kind of aesthetic to have at the parties. And not to mention their dietary restrictions and cultural beliefs."

"Not that. His personal life. He is single and hasn't dated anyone of late. Pippa is older than him and lives off her brother to maintain the high-society life," her friend told her. "She is here to check out this place and keep an eye on her brother."

"Keep an eye on his brother?" Ella scoffed. "What is he? Twelve?"

"Yes, to save him from the gold-diggers who all want to be the next Mrs. Chambers."

"And what about this William Darcy, then?" Ella cocked her head.

"Ella, have you researched nothing about his personal life? Everyone knows who the Darcys are. Well, at least those in the business world."

Feeling off-guard, she prodded, "Who is he? I am curious now. Don't hold anything from me, Char."

Ever since the residents of Sunset Lane, Charleston Corner and the newspapers learnt about the arrival of the tech genius, the whole city had been abuzzed. First, it was touted he was coming with a big entourage, but now it was discovered he had been joined by a friend and a family member. Many mamas hoped their daughters snag Braden's attention for a fairy tale ending. Margaret Bennet had a lot of competition coming her way.

"William is from old money. They own this beautiful estate called Pemberley in New York. His mother comes from an aristocratic family in England. His family made their money from diamonds ages ago. Now, they are heavily involved in telecommunication networks and satellites. It was he who funded Braden's venture when no one had even heard of him." Charlotte's eyes skimmed for the subjects of their conversation. "There, do you see Braden in the light green shirt? It's him."

Ella shielded her eyes and espied a man with blond hair in the described sartorial choice. He was talking animatedly to a dark-haired man.

It wasn't surprising to her why Charlotte knew so much about the history between William Darcy and Braden Chambers. Charlotte was a junior manager in an investment company. It was her job to know the rock stars of that world.

Her friend always had honest opinions,  which suited Ella's whip-smart sense of humour and vivacity. Even though they were four years apart, the girls had become close friends and after high school, Charlotte had mentored Ella through university and her first job.

They were not blood sisters, but they were as good as any. After Jane, Charlotte was her close confidante. Not even her other friends, Darlene and Josie, held the candle when it came to her childhood friend.

"Hey, Ella."

She turned around to see her junior assistant standing right behind her.

"Damon, you have a unique talent for sneaking up on me." Ella cried, clutching at her chest. "Is something the matter?"

"Nothing. Everything is taken care of. The swan sculptures are a hit, as well as the wings in the strategic places," he apprised her with a grandeur of what he thought to be a good assistant. "And you look ravishing."

It was Damon's job to praise her. A necessity to climb out of the stuck-in-rut entry-level job. She had done it to the most awful person with clenched teeth before becoming a lead event coordinator.

Ella had chosen Jane's sleeveless navy-blue dress which skimmed her thighs and styled her honey-brown hair in a messy bun. Lydia, the most stylish one in the family, had loaned her dark blue pumps and a pearl necklace and insisted she apply kohl to bring out her amber-coloured eyes.

She had never been the sort who was considered a fashionista though she prided herself on having immaculate taste in clothes and people. Anyone who was ridiculous or a snob was never worth her time unless she was obligated through a work contract or familial ties.

"I don't think we have met." Damon extended his hand to her friend.

"Charlotte. So, no praises for me, eh?" She winked through her glasses.

"Everyone invited by Shahs is superb," he crooned. "So, you are awesome, girl."

Ella resisted the urge to laugh at the superb comeback. Damon was made for this sort of stuff. He thrived on it.

"Anyway, I came by to tell you something. Your sisters are stuffing their faces with the hors d'oeuvres. As you know, we planned everything for two hundred people and this crowd is almost twice the size. Can you please tell them to stop it?" he requested with a frown.

"I told Kitty and Lydia to be on their best behaviour." Ella sighed. "Where are they, Damon?"

"I don't know. When I try to talk to them, they disappear faster than Houdini's rabbit-disappearing-act." He shrugged.

"I will take care of it," she assured him.

Once Damon was gone. Ella whipped out her cell phone and video-called Lydia.

"Ella! The food is amazing here," Lydia raved. Her cheeks glowed with exuberance. "I am getting so many likes on my social media. No one can believe I am at this fancy party. Serves them right for ignoring me."

"Lydia, the food is for the guests and not for gorging on it," she hissed.

"Lighten up, grandma. There is so much food to feed an army." Lydia pouted.

Suddenly, Kitty's head popped next to the youngest Bennet. "Ella, check out  these macarons. They are to die for. Where did you find these?"

"They are from Jane's bakery. They are to be served after the dinner." Ella was ready to lose her patience. Taking a deep breath, she said, "If you girls don't behave, I will have you thrown out."

"Oh, you wouldn't." Lydia made a face at her before disconnecting.

"I don't know what to do with these two. They are so out of control," Ella said to Charlotte.

"They are just being teenagers. Let them be," Charlotte reasoned. "And you know, Lydia. The more you tell her not to do anything. The more she will do it."

"That's her, alright. Mother has spoiled her a lot. I mean, your younger brother and sister aren't like her, are they?"

"No, my sister wasn't making out with someone's boyfriend or getting fired from jobs for tardiness," she agreed.

"Exactly, they never listen... ouch," Ella cried mid-sentence when suddenly Charlotte grabbed her elbow in a vice-grip.

"Good lord! Look. Over there. Your mother is dragging Jane to where Chambers and their friend are." She looked astounded. "Oh, she can definitely fight her way through the crowd."

Alarmed, Ella looked in the direction of where she had last seen Braden Chambers. The sight of her mother with poor Jane keeping up in her stilettos was something out of a comedy horror.

"Damn it." Ella put away her punch and tugged at Charlotte's hand. "Come. We have got to rescue Jane. We are closest to Braden. If we hurry, we can beat my mother."

"Right now?"

"Yes. Mom thinks Braden will fall in love with her and propose by this year's end. Hurry, we need to prevent the ruination of my entire family," Ella urged her until Charlotte was right behind.

With her heart in her throat, she ambled to where her mother moved toward her prey from the other end of the garden. Lengthening her strides that would make any Olympian proud, Ella reached the target first. She was glad for all the brisk walking she had been doing lately. Solitary walks helped her think better. For this reason, she went on hikes many times with her father.

"Hello, Mr. Chambers," Ella introduced herself by edging through the wall of admirers around the man.

"Hi," Braden said as his green eyes shot up at her less-than-spectacular entrance with her friend in tow. "And you are?"

"God, I don't think I have run this fast enough," Charlotte panted, grabbing a stitch. "Did we make it?"

"Ella Bennet. I am the event coordinator here," she replied, hoping her mother was still far away but dared not to look over her shoulder to find out. "And this is my friend, Charlotte Lucas."

"Nice to meet you, Ella and Charlotte." Braden grinned. "I have to say, the canapes are amazing. You have done a good job. Don't you think so, Will?" He turned to someone who stood behind him.

Ella's eye travelled to Braden's right. She was startled by the deepest blue eyes that reminded her of the ocean in Greece. They arrested her. Her gaze dipped lower to the full lips which didn't smile at all. Blinking, she stared at the handsome man who looked sullen and bored.

So, this was the infamous friend, she thought.

"I suppose so," William finally responded as his eyes collided with hers before he looked away with a slight shake of his head.

"Don't mind, my friend. He is such a bore," Braden told them. "Tell me, Charlotte, are you also in event management too? If so, I feel special to have two beautiful women personally welcome me. Man, I didn't even get the chance to say hi properly to the hosts."

"Oh no, I work for an investment company. Ella and I both know Shahs since they moved here from New York," Charlotte responded with a huge smile.

"Wow. An event coordinator and a guest. Which one are you right now?" Braden teased.

Ella opened her mouth to answer but was interrupted by the shrill voice of her mother. "Ella, here you are. Aren't you going to introduce Jane and me to your new friend?"

"Mom, I was greeting our guests here," she said through gritted teeth, trying not to wince.

Never one for the subtlety, Margaret elbowed her way in. "I am Ella's mother and this is my eldest daughter." She literally shoved Jane at Braden, almost unbalancing her in the process.

From the corner of her eyes, she saw a dark blonde with a harsh bob cut staring disdainfully at them. She recognized her to be Pippa Chamber from her online search.

"Are you okay?" Braden reached out for Jane to steady her.

"Sorry, I just stumbled." Jane pushed a strand of her hair away from her face. Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "I am not used to walking fast in stilettoes."

"And here I thought it runs in the family," Pippa mused aloud. Her remark invited giggles from other women the Bennets and one Lucas had trailed blazed through.

Ella cringed at the scene her mother had caused. She hoped no one could see through her mother's enterprises. "Tell me, Braden, have you ever been here before?"

"Yes, I came here with my father when I was a kid." He nodded. "This was before my parents divorced." His smile dropped a few notches.

"And you, Mr. Darcy?" Ella looked at him.

"No," he replied rather abruptly.

She waited for him to say more but he said nothing. 

"Well, I hope you like our neighbourhood. It's not Manhattan, but this is where many of the tech companies are relocating to for cheaper rents," Charlotte said good-naturedly at his monosyllable reply. "This part of the neighbourhood has grown a lot during the past five years."

Ella saw the look that passed between Pippa and William. Those two looked suspicious of everything around them.

"Do you know many people your age here, Braden?" Her mother asked.

"No, I don't know many people here except the Shah's children. I just bought a place here, thinking it would be a perfect spot to leave the grind of the city behind and relax," Braden answered and glanced at Jane, who looked as if she wanted the ground to open and swallow her.

"Perfect. You should ask Jane to show you around," Margaret marvelled. She looked like someone whose dreams had come true.

Ella stifled a sigh and plastered a pained smile on her face. It amazed her she was her mother's daughter. Margaret and her quixotic demands were in stark contrast to Ella's quick thinking and sharp mind.

"I think I will ask Jane then." Braden was genuinely interested in the idea. He hadn't seemed to notice Margaret's imposing manners. "There you go, Will. We have a local to show us around. Maybe Ella can be your guide for the day."

"I'm quite alright on my own." William gave her a curt glance over the suggestion. "Excuse me, I need to get some fresh air."

"Fresh air at a garden party." Ella arched her eyebrow at him, not letting him off the hook. "Who has ever heard of such a thing?"

William paused and stared at her before stalking away.

"What's wrong with your friend?" Charlotte couldn't help asking.

"Jet lag," Braden joked, earning a burst of polite laughter, even from Jane. He caught her eye and grinned.

As the conversation flowed, the exchanges between Braden and Jane didn't escape her. Jane was a head turner, with fair hair, bright blue eyes and a dimple to the boot. She had won many men's hearts with the smile of hers. Her sweet nature prevented her from being vain about her looks. Kitty was the only other sister who resembled Jane the most, with dark blond hair and a dimple to match.

Hours later, she wore the hat of a guest and danced with Damon, Charlotte and one guy she had dated several months ago. To her delight, she saw Braden totally engrossed in Jane. They both stood a few apart from everyone. Had Jane managed to capture his interest? She wondered as he was no ordinary guy but was in a different league from their upper-middle-class family.

A smile spread over Ella's lips. If Jane was talking to him for this long, it meant she really liked him. She could bet it was something even her mother couldn't have anticipated.

The minds could be ruled, but wilful hearts had to be won over. At least, this was what Ella believed in.

After the dance and a quick hello to an acquaintance, she went to the refreshment table to slake her thirst.

"You should dance with someone, Will."

"You know me. I am not much of a dancer."

Ella looked around to spot the duo on the other side of the refreshment table with the sculpture of a big swan between them. Feeling foolish, she hunched behind the hunk of ice and tried to conceal herself.

"Oh, come on. Stop sulking and talk to someone. There are so many girls around who would love to dance with you. The band is awesome."

"Speaking of women, you have been talking to Jane for the past couple of hours."

Both men remained unaware of Ella's presence and she didn't wish it otherwise. It was always the unguarded moments that gave purview to people's true character. If Jane liked Braden, then it was wise to know what he was like as a person. Jane was her beloved sister and Ella went the extra mile to protect her.

"Did you know she has a bakery, and all the desserts here have been prepared by her? Impressive, isn't it? Don't worry. We have been talking about her time spent in France as a pastry chef."

"Different for sure," William remarked.

"She was telling me about her sister, Ella. She is the one we met earlier, remember? I think you should dance with her. She is stunning. Come on. You can do it."

"Stunning? I don't think so. I have met many beautiful women. So, trust me when I say she is barely tolerable." Darcy's voice sounded strained. "I think you should return to Jane and enjoy her smile some more. Tomorrow, you and I have to go over the budgeting reports. So, don't drink too much. I don't want any hangovers."

An empty feeling gnawed at her. The insult was no bother to her, but his loathsome pride wounded Ella. What gave him the right to feel superior to her? There was one thing she loathed the most in the world and it was arrogance.

She decided then and there, William Darcy was not only insolent but not worthy of her time. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 6.6K 49
"Elizabeth, we have more stores to get to, so if you please.'" Came Mr. Knight's impatient voice from the other side of the door. I still wasn't used...
3.4K 247 36
From the time she was a little girl, Rose Fletcher always knew what she wanted to do in life. Becoming a nurse was her passion, and she worked extrem...
4.4K 93 23
When Ella Jones' twenty-first birthday ends with a bang - literally - she never imagined it would be with her best friend since freshman year, Ryan O...
7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...