Death Wish

By belantti

Forever and Always. โI may not be your first love, first kiss, first sight, or first date but I want to be yo... More

Welcome
Synopsis
Playlist
Covers
0 | Prologue
1 | No feelings attached
2 | Newest Trending Style
3 | Not supposed to be her
4 | Not so bad
5 | Childhood shenanigans
6 | Fabricated Fables
7 | Cream of hearts
8 | Rule Number Six
9 | Just A Contract
11 | Hansel and Gretel
12 | Beratings and Breakdowns
13 | Rouxs' Resolution
14 | As a Friend
15 | Cinderella in Stilettos
16 | Doctor's Patience
17 | Auctions and Arrangements
18 | Juggling Jealousies
19 | Blossoming Emotions
20 | Contracts and Confessions
21 | Nightmare in Knightsbridge
22 | Nine Words
23 | New Beginnings
24 | Backfired Surprises
25 | A Living Hell
26 | War of Wives

10 | Gruesome Gatherings

307 21 1
By belantti

Chapter 10

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The morning sunlight streamed through the gaps from Roux Addington's curtains which had not covered the large windows completely. A groan left his lips as he turned over, rubbing the dirt off the corners his eyes while he felt for his phone.

Once his fingers curled around the sleek, cold device, he instantly drew it towards himself and pressed on the power button. Immediately, a bunch of messages and emails attacked his notifications, one catching his eye from George Addington, his father.

George Addington never messaged or phoned Roux unless the matter was important and so the notification took Roux Addington by surprise. Tapping on the message, his eyes skimmed through the words and he let out a groan and tossed his phone besides him carelessly before sitting up straight and running his hand through his long curls. His band had snapped again.

‘ Call me as soon as you get this message ’, were George Addington's words which had been sent more than half an hour ago.

Letting out a huff, Roux threw his legs over the bed and dressed it himself before heading into his closet to grab fresh towels. Roux could have gotten a whole city of house maids if he wished but then his late mother would get up from her grave and shred him to pieces. She never liked the thought of strangers doing the work of a person when he or she still had working hands.

Thanks to her, he turned out as an organized man today which also helped in his business.

The cook was a different story in a whole. If Roux Addington had not hired Caldwell Loughty then he would have been dead before his mother came back from the grave to kill him. Either from food poisoning or he would have burnt down along with his mansion.

Stepping out of the massive bathroom, Roux immediately trudged into his large walk in closet, a towel hung low on his hips. He instantly chose to head towards the clothing section filled with casual outfits before picking up a matching pair and getting dressed in it.

His bare toes curled as his feet made contact with the hardwood flooring of his bedroom, immediately losing the warmth from the warmth of the closet rug. As if on cue, a harsh ring sounded from his phone and he let out a sigh and walked towards it, taking note that it was George Addington calling.

The man had been patiently waiting for an expected call from Roux and he knew his son well enough to know that he was not still asleep by this time and the man had checked his phone and definitely seen his message. He always made sure he stood out.

Releasing another sigh, Roux swiped on the answer button and connected to George Addington's line. Roux and George had no bad blood with each other, the only problem was that ever since Harriet Addington arrived, the man had almost forgotten him and focused on pleasing his new children, convincing them he was the best replacement to their old father just like Harriet tried to do with Roux. Roux knew better and after some time, Roux stopped bothering about trying to get the man's attention and focused on his company.

" Father " Roux voiced out flatly as soon as he answered the call, the cold device stiffly pressed against his left ear. He did majority of his things with his left hand considering he was a left handed man.

" Son. I am willing to bet your company and the newest custom-made diamond vase that was delivered to me just last night that you saw my message. Yes? "

" I did "

" Thank you for your honesty. I texted to inform you that you are to be at the family mansion for a get-together taking place today. Bring my grandchildren and Raina along with you. I have been elated about seeing her once again, good woman you have there " The man chuckled to himself, bringing the rim of his priceless teacup to his lips to take a sip of his herbal tea.

" I can bring Raina along with the children but I am afraid I will not be able to make it, I have a few things to do at the office " Roux pursed his lips, running his free hand through this curls.

" I am also afraid I never asked, Roux. I was also a CEO and I know how hard it gets, the hardest. A few hours would not bring your company to the ground, son. I expect to see you all here in the next four hours "

The man did not wait for a reply as he ended the call causing Roux to clench his jaw in annoyance. His father was always demanding, got whatever he wanted and Roux did not want to give him that. The two personalities just did not match.

Slipping his phone into the pocket of his sweats, Roux exited his bedroom and headed down the hallway in search for Raina McCoy. His ear perked up upon catching some sounds coming from Emma Addington's bedroom and he headed towards the direction.

Upon reaching there, Roux attempted to push the door open but stopped himself at the sight he could see through the crack from the door. He did not get a full view but he could make out Raina McCoy playing teaparty with Emma and Ethan Addington.

His eyes slightly widened at the sight. He was surprised. Thea Addington always dismissed the proposal to play the game, saying it was childish. She wanted the children to grow fast, especially Emma Addington. She did not need the girl playing ‘ Useless tea party games ’ when she could be working hard to prove to the men that she was not just some girl.

Yes, that was what it was all about. Thea Addington had grown up used to Chauvinism and that was probably one of the reasons she turned out to be power craving. Both her and her mother had been looked down on.

“ They are girls, what use are they but to breed? They could not possibly do anything. They are not useful ”

Thea Addington hated it. She worked her arse off just to be considered and even though she was smarter that her little brother was, her father's oil business had been passed down to him because he was a male and she was a female. She did not want same for Emma Addington so that was where she had put her focus on, making the girl more mature than her age.

Making her useful.

The games, toys, tea parties and every other thing was just a distraction, just a bunch of trash taking out space and Thea Addington loved to clear trash. Emma Addington had to be perfect, fit. Thanks to George Addington, the little girl and her brother were still able to keep their massive amount of toys.

" Would you like your tea with some sugar or honey, Missus Raina? " Emma Addington asked, highlighting on her British accent and the corners of Rouxs' lips twitched.

Raina McCoy was bringing back every ounce of childishness Thea Addington had buried deep in them. She was letting them be free, she was letting them be what they were. Children.

" I would appreciate some sugar, Missus Emma and the prince here will take the same, thank you " Raina turned to ruffle the wig that had been placed on Ethan Addington's head.

Roux watched in silence as Emma Addington tilted the pink tea pot, pouring out imaginary tea into the cups placed before Raina and Ethan before dumping in fake dices of sugar into them both.

" Why, thank you, Missus Emma " Raina nodded at the girl, the similar pink wig she had on her head tilting as she bent to take a sip of her non-existent tea.

In as much as Roux hated that he had to ruin their fun moment, his father's order hovered above his head like a pestering, dark cloud. Four hours. He heaved a breath as he pushed the door open, causing the trio's head to snap towards his direction.

" Daddy! Come join us! " Ethan yelled as he patted an empty bench besides himself. The chairs were too small for either of the adults to sit on so Raina had settled for seating on the fluffy rug, her weight resting on her ankles.

Speaking of Raina, her cheeks were hot, the blush covered by the shade of her skin as she tore her eyes away from Roux Addington who casted a heated gaze on her. After placing a kiss on both his children's head and exchanging pleasantries, he urged them to go down for breakfast.

" I think Caldwell is all set now "

It was a Saturday. The children had the day as a free day and with Raina's assistance, they had done all their school work and even gotten up early so she could play with them. They knew they could be free with her now and she was nothing like Thea Addington. Not like Thea did not love her children, she did but she was too formal with them.

As soon as the children dashed out of Emma Addington's bedroom, Raina let out a sigh and took off the wig from her head before placing it down. Rouxs' eyes immediately connected with the braids she had no doubt made herself. Begrudgingly tearing his eyes away from her hairstyle, he focused on her as she got up and stood before him.

" Good morning, Mister Addington. Had a good sleep? " Raina tilted her head in questioning and only got a grunt as his response.

Nervously nodding her head, Raina attempted to walk away but Roux grabbed unto her upper arm, causing her to halt. Avoiding her gaze, he cleared his throat before speaking, " My father requested that I come over along with you and the twins for a family gathering "

Raina's eyes widened at his words and she spluttered, " Family g-gathering?! ". Her breaths shortened as she recalled the last time she had gone to visit George and Harriet Addington. The day did not end so well.

" I understand your fear but I can assure you, my step mother will not be present. She is out of town with some of her friends for the time being "

Raina let out a relieved sigh and Roux finally let go of her arm, cold air immediately attacking the warmth he had left behind. Raina was not afraid of Harriet Addington but she wanted to avoid the venomous woman at all costs. The only person Raina feared was him.

" Is it necessary if I am present or not? "

" Yes it is, Missus McCoy. My father specifically ordered for you to be there. He wants to see you again and probably introduce you to the rest of the family " Roux pursed his lips and watched she fiddled with her fingers, deep in thought.

" I do not have a choice but to be there, do I? " Raina sighed as she craned her neck to look up at him. Her head stopped just below his chest so she struggled to meet his gaze.

" Neither do I, Missus McCoy "

Ding!

The high-pitched sound of the doorbell rang out as Roux pressed on the button, signalling the mansion that they had arrived.

An hour late.

Apparently, Emma Addington wanted to dress extravagantly nice since she was meeting her cousins for the first time in a long time. The family gatherings were a once in a while event and Roux could not afford to miss it. More like, George Addington would not afford to let Roux miss it. Roux would probably prefer to nurse a cup of dark coffee in his office while he cross-checked the updates on his business.

The door to the mansion was immediately flung open to reveal a little five year old  girl in a floral dress with a flower crown placed on the top of her head, " UNCLE ROUX! UNCLE ROUX! UNCLE ROUX! YOU'RE FINALLY HERE! "

Roux caught the girl's launching body with ease as she did not hesitate to hook her leg on his torso before pulling him into a tight hug. Roux placed a kiss on her head before proceeding to walk into the entrance hallway, " How have you been Lacey? The last time I saw you, you had a tooth missing "

Lacey Watson pouted at Rouxs' words before pulling on his ear, causing him to wince. Lacey was his step sister's daughter, Julia Addington. She had married a continental chef, Stanley Watson ten years ago. Julia Addington was three years older than Roux was.

" Uncle Roux, you promised to get me a life pony " Lacey's pout stretched and Roux let out a nervous chuckle. He had been so consumed by work that he had forgotten the promise he made to the little girl fifteen months ago.

" And I have been working on it. I have been searching for the best pony, only for the best princess " He responded while Raina's eyes shifted to stare at him.

The Roux Addington walking before her was a totally different one. Not the serious, intimidating, stoic and sometimes rude business man she knew. It was like he had dropped the mask off as soon as the little girl flung the door open.

Lacey Watson cast her a shy glance and Raina smiled at the girl. Her hair was blonde, almost white and she had a pale skin that complimented her sea-green eyes. All in all, she was a beautiful little girl, taking majority of her features from her father.

" But daddy! I'm the best princess! " Emma Addington huffed and Lacey turned to stare at her jealous cousin before sticking her tongue out at her in a playful manner.

Ethan Addington chuckled as his sister narrowed her gray eyes at Lacey before Roux placed the girl down and gave a pat to Emma's head, " Of course you are, why don't you three go debate about that "

The children scurried off as soon as they stepped into the living room and Raina shook her head and chuckled. Children, they were so carefree. Oblivious to the dangers of the world, dangers every parent should protect them from.

The living room looked the opposite of how Raina recalled it to be, now showing the presence of children. Lots of children. There were feeding bottles, toys, bibs, crayons and many other children items tossed almost everywhere in the living room.

Not noticing Roux Addington had stopped walking, Raina blushed in embarrassment as she almost bumped into his defined back. She took note of how he was dressed differently today, his hair was in it's usual bun. He wore a loose sweatshirt with matching sweatpants and some simple shoes – a new pair of studs hanging from his earlobes.

" Really? Letting Lacey open the door? You know that's dangerous " Raina heard Roux say and stepped to the side to see he was speaking to a woman approaching them with a fussy toddler.

The woman put the toddler on the floor, letting him crawl away happily before pulling Roux into a hug, " I had to watch over the others and I had no idea she was gone. You know how she gets "

The woman's eyes then connected to Raina's and her grin stretched even wider as she pulled away from Roux. Her brown hair was packed into a messy bun and she had bright blue eyes which Raina adored. Her skin was a light tan color and she stood just a few inches shorter than Roux.

" How have you been, little brother? How has business been treating you? " She smiled mischeviously at him, flashing her straight set of sparkling teeth. He hated when she called him little, highlighting on the fact that she was older than him.

Rolling his gray eyes, Roux brushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear with a small smile, " Good and bad " His eyes connected with the barely noticeable bump on her stomach and he gave her a knowing look, " Again? "

" Oh shut up! You know I want many kids! "

" More like many Christmas lists being thrown at me. I still haven't had the time to get Lacey her pony and we're expecting another one. What is this? The sixth? Seventh? Eight? "

" The tenth " Julia Addington corrected before pushing him away and taking a step towards Raina who stood besides them awkwardly, " She is a beautiful one, Roux. I like her already "

" Hmm. I will be back, I have to have a word with father " Roux grunted before casting Raina a glance and walking away, ruffling his crawling nephew's hair in the process of leaving.

" You must be Raina. I have heard a lot about you, and the beauty spoken of did you no justice. I am Julia Watson, or Addington "

" Thank you, you are really beautiful also. And congratulations on your expected baby " Raina gestured at her bump and she thanked her in return. She had never gotten along with Thea Addington. The woman was just like her mother and by the looks of things, it seemed there was a better replacement. She was glad.

" You have no idea how happy I am to meet you. I promise we could catch up with a lot of things, shopping, sleepovers..."

Raina nodded as the woman continued to rant before excusing herself as one of her children began wailing, " Hold on a second. I think Ryan is hungry again "

Raina stood at the centre of the massive living room wondering what to do while she waited, her hazel eyes immediately caught on to a girl seated at the far end of one of the couches as she nursed a book in her small hands. Curiosity got the best of her and Raina slowly approached the girl.

The closer she got, she more she noticed how the girl's hand shook as she tried to hold the book better. A sheen of sweat formed on her forehead which was creased in what Raina guessed to be frustration. As soon as Raina sat besides the girl, her hands immediately let go of the book causing it to fall and smack against the floor rug.

The girl immediately clasped her hands together to stop the shaking, her eyes squeezed shut as she tried to steady her breathing. With a frown, Raina bent to pick the book up and study it when it suddenly dawned on her. A teenager at the local library she would once in a while visit had been struggling with the same disorder.

Dyslexia.

It was a mental disability which causes a person to have difficulty in reading and writing. The disorder was a dream killer for a easy quitter but the girl besides her seemed determined. Dyslexic patients would sometimes read slowly or make errors when reading aloud.

The girl at the library was different. She had a visual disturbances when reading (for example, she would describe letters and words as seeming to move around or appear blurred ) answering questions well orally, but having difficulty writing the answers down.

That was the first Dyslexic patient Raina had ever met and the girl would once in a while come to the library and have Raina help her prepare for her tests with a private tutor. Raina also spoke to the girl and have he admit to her parents that she was Dyslexic and stop being ashamed of her disorder.

After a while, Raina just stopped seeing the girl and hoped she was okay and probably went for therapy. The girl showed up once to thank Raina and also filled her in on the events that had happened while she was absent. She was going through an accelerated training which improved both her reading fluency and comprehension.

Then the girl stopped coming to the library for good.

" Hello " Raina finally spoke out softly but the girl remained silent. Other children were involved in their own activities while the girl found comfort in being on her own. Was she just differently social or felt the need to isolate herself like the strawberry blonde from the library? Raina had no idea.

" You don't want to talk to a stranger, I see. What if I told you I was not a stranger? "

Slowly, the girl's head tilted and she turned to face Raina. She had many similarities with Harriet Addington, looking like the younger version of the woman. Probably eight or nine years old.

" I have never seen you before " She finally spoke out, her voice almost like a whisper but Raina made out every single word.

" Well, I am Emma and Ethan's new mother so that explains why "

The girl looked away from Raina, her tongue pressed against the roof of her mouth. She never liked Thea Addington, the woman was always demanding and strict. Maybe Raina McCoy was just like her.

" I am Raina McCoy, not Thea Addington " Raina stretched the book out at the girl and she slowly took it from her, " Try reading by slowing down and sounding it out "

Those were the same words she had spoken to the blonde from the library from two years ago. The girl slowly opened the book again and her eyes skimmed through the words before she sucked in a breath. Looking away from the book, she turned to face Raina once again, " I am Jesse. Jesse Watson "

Raina's eyes widened slightly at the girl's introduction and she nodded before Jesse turned back to her book and tried Raina's method. She was Julia's daughter and that was a shocker since she looked nothing like her mother. The girl's features were taken from her grandmother then.

Choosing to give Jesse some privacy, Raina got up and brushed away the invisible dust particles on her gown before slowly walking away to lean against the wall, still watching Jesse who was a few feet away from her. Some moments later, an unknown man joined her, his pearly white teeth pulling on a chewy strand of candy.

" You are officially the fastest person Jesse has ever opened up to " The man stated with a grin. His hair was a light shade of brown and he had similar features with Julia Addington; a purple and yellow stain of paint on the side of his shirt.

Sebastian Addington.

" I beg your pardon? "

" You do not need to beg for anything. You are my new sister after all " The young man grinned wolfishly. He could not be older than twenty two.

" Sister? "

" Yes, Raina. I am the infamous Sebastian. Sebastian Addington " He did a dramatic bow and a small smile spread out on Raina's face. He sure seemed to be a troublemaker.

" I see, I have heard about you and your talent of art. It is nice to meet you "

" Likewise, sister. Speaking of my art, would you love to see some of my works? " Sebastian Addington offered with a hopeful smile and Raina gave out a nod in return.

" Very well then, follow me "

The duo walked towards the mansion art room together, engaging in a short conversation on their way there. Raina was glad the man had a lot of things to rant about himself because she had nothing.

A minute after, they stood before a massive doors which was then pushed open to reveal the large art display room filled with works made by Sebastian Addington and George Addington's mother. The smell of different art supplies immediately attacked both their nostrils. One familiar with it and the other not familiar.

Raina stepped into the room in awe, different foreign smells lingering in the air. An intoxicating scent of oil paints, the ashy smell of charcoal crayon dust covering the canvases as well as the bitter smell of linseed oil soaked into them and then the refreshing scent of mint and lanolin.

" Wow.." Raina breathed out as she took a deep whiff of the place. It did not need any artificial fragrance, the smell already came from the different artworks displayed around the place.

" Wow indeed, sister. Come on, I will start with  grandmother's art " The man grinned before tugging her towards a massive glass shelf pushed against the wall.

Raina was in awe as her eyes took in the numerous amount of hand-builded potteries. They varied from shape, sizes and styles but each one looked amazing. George Addington was not bluffing when he said his mother's hands were blessed. They truly were.

" This one is an amphora vase " Sebastian tapped on the glass where the ancient Greek vase was situated. It had a large oval body, a narrow cylindrical neck, and two handles that rose almost to the level of the mouth broadly.

" Your grandmother was talented " Raina whispered as the pads of her fingers brushed against the glass. She wished she could hold the vases but she would rather not.

" She was Rouxs' grandmother, not mine but in a way, I guess she is " Sebastian shrugged his shoulders as his eyes scanned more pieces to show to Raina.

The duo buzzed around the display room within the next twenty minutes with Sebastian Addington explaining and Raina McCoy asking about whichever art piece caught her eye and interest.

Raina admitted to herself that Sebastian Addington was good company. The man joked around, laughed and he was carefree, even spilling some of Roux Addington's teenage secrets to his new sister. They bonded perfectly. The man was the exact opposite of Roux Addington.

Blood or not.

Sebastian's speech was cut short when the doors were pushed open to reveal George and Harriet Addington with Roux stood boredly besides them both. A look of relief crossed George's face before he walked further into the room, " Thank goodness, Raina. We had been looking for you everywhere"

The man instantly pulled Raina into a hug, whose eyes were still glued to Harriet Addington in a mixture of fear and surprise. Roux Addington had to lie to get her to agree to come along with them. Sebastian rolled his eyes at his father's ignorance and let out a scoff, " Nice to know you were also worried about my whereabouts, father "

" Oh shut up, Seb! You should have at least informed someone that you two would be here " George Addington reprimanded.

" Here, where she should not be in the first place. Sebastian did nothing wrong, Missus McCoy should have known better than to trespass. This place holds pieces of my dear mother in-law " Harriet Addington added and Sebastian's brows shot up in surprise, a smirk spreading out on his face.

It was the first time the woman had ever defended him.

" Who you never met, Harriet " George shot back calmly. He had spoken to his wife earlier about not repeating the events and she had promised not to. Now it seemed all that had been thrown out the window.

" Come on, Raina. The chefs have prepared the best dishes for our barbeque hangout and I declared it a no cutlery day " The man said as he nursed her hand with his larger one and led her towards the door, smiling when he noted how she blushed in embarrassment.

Leaning towards her ear, George Addington whispered a secret only a few of his family knew about, " You do not need to be embarrassed, Raina. I still don't know how to use a fork in eating pasta "

Raina's eyes widened slightly and a smile spread out on her face before she nodded in return, " Your secret is safe with me, Mister Addington "

" Once again, Raina. Call me– "

" Aunt Harriet! Some help here! I need you to give Ronnie his shot! I have no idea on how to do it... " The girl froze on the spot as her eyes locked with Raina's warm ones and Raina's jaw dropped slightly in surprise.

It was the same strawberry blonde from the library two years ago. The dyslexic one. The duo stared at each other with a mixture of excitement, shock and surprise while the rest confusingly took in their weird exchange.

" Oh my gosh, it's you " Abigail Sallow whispered as a smile slowly spread out on her face, taking in Raina's changes. She had come to ask for some help from Harriet to give one of Julia Addington's son his diabetes shot since Julia's hands were full at the moment.

She did not expect to see the woman she had ranted the ears out of her parents about, and that too in the same mansion.

Abigail Sallow was Harriet Addington's little sister's daughter. Her neice. The woman took her as a child of her own and also added in her upbringing. She also knew about the nice woman who helped her cope with her disability.

" You both know each know each other? " Harriet Addington asked with a frown as she stared between the both women and Abigail nodded in return.

" She is the woman I used to tell you about. The one from the local library "

Harriet Addington's eyes widened in surprise and her head snapped towards Raina's direction. She had always said ‘ The Lord bless the woman who had been so kind, I will ensure to show my gratitude to her if we ever meet ’

She had shown her gratitude indeed.

George Addington smiled down at Raina in adoration, his heart warming up at the shocking news. Raina McCoy was God sent and she had made an impact on their lives before they had even met, " It has been confirmed that you are indeed an angel, Raina " He lifted her smaller hand to his lips and let his lips brush against her knuckles, " Why don't you both catch up in the meantime? "

Harriet eyes softened with shame and guilt as she took the pen needle from Abigail and walked away with the others. Raina met Rouxs' eyes on the way out and looked away to catch a wink from Sebastian Addington before the doors slammed shut.

Raina tore her eyes away from the door and took in Abigail once again. It was real. The girl stopped coming to the local library since her family had to move away to another town but she swore to never forget Raina McCoy.

And here they stood some few feet away from each other.

Smiling back at Abigail, Raina let out a breath she had no idea she had been holding, " We sure do have a lot to catch up with, don't we? "

" We definitely do "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 11.4K 85
It's been five years since Zoey and Caleb brought their first child into the world. Since then life has been a real roller coaster for the two of the...
28.7K 1.4K 52
After three years of struggle to prove her worth in a new country, Rox, short for Roxana, finally nails a job at a new construction company that deal...
387K 32.2K 44
Bailey Robinson's orders were simple; get rid of the letter and get back to work. When Bailey begins a correspondence with a mysterious woman, the l...
196K 7.7K 33
"You Raven are to be my wife whether you like it or not" Toni huskily whispered into the enraged woman's ear. "No, I will not! Over my dead body wil...