On an Evening in Roma

By FarhaIslam5

What if during her senior year Bondita went to Italy for a debate competition? What if Anirudh was visiting B... More

When in Rome
So close...yet so far🍃
In the Darkness of the Night...
Author's Note
When future and past collides...
An Escape from Reality...part-1
An Escape from Reality- Part 2
Author's Note
When in Rome do as the Romans do...
Your heart got a story like mine...
On the Streets of Rome.
AN: My POV on an Issue
When the Reality Strikes⚡
All Road Leads Straight Back to You🥀
The Beginning Has Just Begun...🌼
AN: ANOTHER ISSUE
The Birthday Boy
Clash of Personalities
London Blitz
A Confrontation
Prison Without Walls
...and she begans to fade...into a secret place...
These wounds won't seem to heal...
Everywhere I look there's a dead end waiting...
A series of phone calls, part-1
A series of phone calls, part-2
Help me see myself...
The Psychologist
The Letter
A hypothetical situation
At the house of the Psychologist
A day in the life of Anirudh Roy Choudhary
When Batuk met Francesca
Prediction
Italian Durga Puja,part-1
Italian Durga Puja, part-2
State of Mind
Mission Telephone 📞
Tulsipur- 3 days ago
...to hold on or to let go...
Actions and their consequences
Authors Note
I wish you a Merry Christmas
...and a Happy New Year❄️
Anirudh's Birthday, part-1
Anirudh's Birthday, part-2
Face your fears, part-1
Face your Fears, part-2
Stories of the past...and a step toward the future...
Authors Note
AN- last one I promise 😔
Authors Note: oops! I did it again!
New Book Cover and Book 2 name
Dr. Angelo and Dr.Somnath Roy Choudhary
new book is out🥰
new cover

The game of cat and mouse

616 79 88
By FarhaIslam5

Bondita watched Batuk and Mrs. Di Costa's whole interaction from her 1st floor balcony.

The entire front wall and the balcony railings of the two stores grayish building was covered by purple bougainvillea.The colorful flowers were swaying in the gentle breeze.

Her hands were lightly resting on the railing on top of the vines. Her open hair flowing down her back was drying in the air. The itchy dryness in her nose forewarned her that today is going to be another one of those hot days.

Things...went a little out of hand with Batuk. This isn't how she was expecting things to go.

She have to admit the initial shock of seeing him for the first time... correction, seeing him face to face for the first time was ...staggering.

It was like every contour of his face was shaped on the same mould as her Sakh-...as Mr Roy Choudhary's. She has seen twins looked less similar than these two brothers did who had twelve years of age gap between them.

So without actually meaning to she had spend the whole night counting the differences between their facial features. There were scarcely any, except for the changes Batuk has made himself...the long massy hair, the pierced ear, the light stubble around his face...also, he was yet to open his eyes but Bondita knew he has amber colored eyes like the Roy Choudhary brothers maternal grandmother, Bhabani Debi's. She has never met her Dida saas but she has heard that she was a very beautiful and authoritative woman.

"Toh...tum sach me mitha nahi khaogi...jab tak yeh sab kuch thik nahi ho jata?" A voice spoke from behind her.

"Jase ki aapko nahi pata?!" She replied still looking down where her neighbor was lecturing Batuk and Batuk's expression said he was stuck somewhere between guilt and irritation.

It was the truth.With him, there's no need for her to voice her thoughts...he knew her every thought...he was her thought...

"True! But you do know that it could take years,right?" Her imaginary Sakha Babu walked up to her and stand beside her on the same pose she was standing.

"I know! Lekin apno se jhut bolne ka kuch toh saja hona chahiye na?" She turned her head to look at him, "Wase bhi jab Bondita apke bina jina sikh sakti he toh mitha kya cheez he?"

He snickered then it snow balled into a full belly laugh. That's another difference between the brothers. There laugh. When Mr. Roy Choudhary laughed with his slightly crooked canine full on view...he looked serene and  it sounds like wing chimes to her ears...while Batuk laughs sounds like Hyenas.

"Meri pyari Bondita! If you have truly learned to live without me then tell me this...why am I still here?"

"I don't know!" She looked away,down at the street only to see Batuk's taxi drove away.

She doesn't want to acknowledge the reason behind his presence even to herself...she wasn't ready to face that fact yet.

"Accha choro jane do! Yeh batao Batuk ko kase handle karogi tum? He isn't as malleable as you previously thought, is he?"  Turning back toward the balcony door, he inquired. He leaned against the railing and crossed his arms over his chest...his posture suggested this questioning session won't be a short one.

Bondita bend down to put her elbows on the parapet and covered her face with her hands.

"I'm so sorryyy!!" She replied, shamefully looking down, "...the situation got completely out of hand."

"Bondita, you have to learn to control your anger and irritation otherwise forget about doing anything!" Even in her imagination he was losing his patients.

"Aap ko toh pata he na mujhse insult hajam nahi hota...aur uss din kya kuch nahi kaha mere bare me uss gadhe ne...gussa toh ayegi na?"

"But you are not that person, not that woman who clings to her insult and her anger. You are better than this!You have to be better than this."

"Then please tell me what to do? Guide me!"

"I can't. Margdarshak banne ki bari toh ab tumhari he Bondita. Lakho karoro logo ko tumhe sahi rasta dikhana he...aur uska suruwat tumhe Batuk se karna hoga."

Sighing she made a determined face.

"And I will. I promise I won't let you down...let him down." Her voice was laced with steely determination, "I've to go. I've to be at the law farm by 8:30."

She had almost reached the balcony door when he called her and she turned on her feet.

"Aaj Shikshak Babu Bondita ka paheli class he, best of luck! Also... be careful, woh class ek se barkar ek terha insano se bhara para he."

A mysterious smirk rose to her lips, "Don't worry, aapki Bondita ko ungli terhi karna bohot acche se ata he."
--

Batuk, after taking some painkillers, had slept through rest of the morning, bunking his four classes that he had that day. But when the Sun went up high in the sky he somehow managed to fumbled out of the bed and took a marathon shower. He can almost felt the dirtyness of that alley on himself.

An hour later he was sitting in the classroom for the special afternoon class Raggi has arranged. Vijay was sitting on the seat behind him and the other five were sparsed across the classroom and all of them had a grim expression on their faces.

His crutches were resting on the seat beside him. While looking at it he made a mental note to buy a new set and throw this one's on the garbage can.

The sound of footsteps from the front of the class made him look up and automatically he cursed. Batuk has never expected to cross paths with that psycho girl from this morning ever again...So imagine his surprise when she confidentiality walked into their classroom, behind Raggi and their Principal.

Her dark eyes quickly scanned the class and when her gaze traveled to him it didn't linger like it's usually did when you see a familiar face unexpectedly, which made his suspension grew deeper.

The principal was saying something but he was too focused on her to actually listen what he was saying. So when the principal and Raggi left and the girl, instead of sitting on the students bench took the teachers podium his mouth was practically touching the floor.

Leaning back he whispered, "Vijay, yeh waha kyu ja raha he?"

"Didn't you just heard the principal? She is the one who will be conducting this class."

Shit! You are so dead Batuk Roy Choudhary!!

Before his actual panic set in she stated the class by Introducing herself as Durga Debi, Barrister Raggi's new assistant and a final year transfer student of this University.

Durga Debi! What kind of stupid name is that??

"I understand, none of you actually want to be here..." She left the podium and start to walk through the aisles between benches, "...and all of you one way or another were pressured into studying law by your presents or your guardians. But now that you are less than two years away from graduating you have only two options left- either leave this program now and bravely tell your guardians that you don't want to study it...or you can cooperate with me... because I'm here to help... I'm not here to teach you law, because here on this institution you have very capable teachers to teach you that... I'm here to teach you how to learn law. May be I'll be able to make you like the path that you were forced to walk. With that goal in mind I had requested our principal to arrange this class."

So you are the culprit behind our downfall! As if I needed more reason to hate you!

"...so from today on your futures will be in my hand. You can think of me as your friend or your enemy it's up to you ...but keep in mind, if you think of me as your friend I'll be your closest friend... but if you think of me as your enemy..." She stopped her tour in front of Batuk's bench and looked at him square in the eye,"...then I'll be your worst nightmare."
He can almost see the evil smirk forming to her lips .

Turning on her heels she walked back to the front again.

"So...If anyone have any objections then say it now, if anyone wants to leave then do it now too...because once I start my class I demand your undivided attention." Her bossy nature was reflecting clearly on her voice.

Batuk wanted to leave right that moment, but the disappointed face of his Big D kept him grounded on his seat.

"Alright, let's start then..."

She had a peculiar teaching method which actually sounded interesting. All the other troublemakers in the room were also looked interested in what she was saying.

But the prideful person he was, he refused to let any of her instructions sink into his brain. After the class he walked up to the podium on his crutches, where she was writing down some notes.

"Yes, Long Jhon Silver, what can I do for you?" She joked without actually looking up.

"I don't trust you." He declared out of nowhere which made her pen stop, "I don't trust you or any women or girls for that matter.They are selfish creatures, jinhe sirf rishte torna ata he...bharosa torna ata he ...parivaar torna ata he."

She slowly lifted her eyes and let her gaze sattlled on his stubborn form. She looked speechless...and maybe a little hurt too.

There's a first time for everything, I guess!

"...the only reason I stayed earlier was because of my brother...so don't expect me to cooperate with you."

"Batuk, no one can live a normal life by distrusting half of the human species."  This is the first sincere look he saw on her face...

"Oh yeah? Watch me!" He challenged her and leaving her in the classroom he walked... hobbled out of there.

It felt good, to be able to say the last word...a sense of victory ripped through his body...like he has scored on an non-existent game.

Outside Vijay joined him.

"Vijay I don't trust her-"

"You don't trust anyone."

Throwing him a glare he continued,"Find everything that you can find about her, ask around door to door, person to person, I don't care how but by tomorrow morning I want all the dirt you can find on her."

Unfortunately, the next morning when Vijay reported him all her details, there was only good things and more good things...and there wasn't one negetive information that he could use against her. Dissatisfied, he came to the conclusion that she just wanted to show off her success.

But that afternoon he finally found something that put a evil smile on Batuk's face.

After their class ended that day Batuk saw Durga and Raggi talk in the hallway. So he carefully hid behind a piller and listened to their conversation.

"...and bring all the necessary documents too. Oh! Can you please call Viola and tell her not to prepare my dinner tonight?"

"Sure Sir."

"You're heading to the library?"

"Yes...My Thesis wouldn't be prepared by itself!"

"Then who told you to took up so much? Other students are solely concentrating on their thesis but not you...and as if all this isn't enough I'm assuming you are working on your fourth book too?"

Batuk rolled his eyes at all the praising she was receiving.

She must have nodded her head because on the next moment Raggi continued, "Of course you are! Anyway! I'll see you tonight at dinner... You remember right? Ambrosia, 7:00pm sharp."

"Yes sir, I remember. I'll see you there."

Oh! Now I see how it is! Fornication between a teacher and a student is forbidden Miss Durga Debi...that too with someone who is so old...BRC, imagine all the scandals you can create! But I'll need proof ...

Durga Debi wait till I expose you in front of the whole University!

For the rest of the day Batuk was in a very good mood. He needed witnesses so he called Mallika and Vijay, he also told him to bring a date. The more proof the better.

But all his excitements went down the drain when that evening he realized Durga and Raggi was there for a meeting with Raggi's Clients.

There were total five of them, sitting in a quiet corner talking between themselves animetedly and Durga, with a pen and notebook in hand, diligently jotting down notes.

He felt like breaking something in anger and frustration.

To make the matters worse when she looked up from her notes her eyes met Batuk's. He quickly looked down and hid his face behind his hand...but the damage had been done, she had already seen him.

And of course she cannot let go of one moment to make him look like an idiot so she excused herself and walked up to their table.

"I hope I'm not interrupting!" She said with her sticky sweet voice.

"Yes you are!"

Ignoring him she carried on, "But i couldn't just sit there and not greet two of my students."

"Hi Durga!" Vijay nervously acknowledged her. His date, an Italian girl who looked more interested at the food then the drama going on around her, didn't even look up from her plate.

Mallika had been already complaining about his lack of attention the whole evening but when the girl, who was the reason of her BRC's lack of attention toward her, approached their table she was pissed.

"Who are you ji?" She asked rather rudely.

Durga raised an eye brow at her strange accent but didn't comment on it, instead she gave her a genuine smiled,"I'm Durga, this two over here are my students."

Mallika eyed her suspiciously, "You don't look old enough to be a teacher."

"I'm a special teacher. Anyway I should let you guys get back to your food."

Oh, please do!

Batuk sighed in relief... something told him she knew why he was there...and she came over just to show him that she has the upper hand.

"Is that Carbonara?" She asked pointing toward Batuk's plate.

She is still here!? I thought she was gone!

"Yeah so? As far as I know it's not illigal to eat Carbonara." To spit her he put a fork full of noodles in his mouth and while chewing he went for another spoonful.

"You don't know very far than...the meat you are chewing right now it's cured pork."

His fork stopped between the plate and his mouth.

"You do know what pork is right?" She goaded on.

"...you are lying." He said accusingly but his voice has lost it's strength and his face looked a little pale. His mouth was still full , but he didn't dare to swallow.

"Oh yeah?" She called a waiter who was passing them by, "Mi scusi, what kind of meat do you use in Carbonara?"

"Pig's meat."

That was it. That was enough for Batuk to spit out the food he had in his mouth.

"I guess, my work here is done! See you in class tomorrow! Ciao." she bid them good buy in a cherry voice and practically danced over to her table.

Mallika glared at her retreating back then at Batuk who was still spitting on his plate.

"Pork he toh kya hua ji. Bahar ki desho me yeh sab chalta he. Who cares!?"

"I CARE!! I have to vomit!"  Saying this he ran to the washroom.

The next day Batuk and Vijay caught her playing the Violin on the street near the University...a crowd gathered around her to listen and they also were putting money on a can placed beside her.

While Italian's regards this as street performance, Batuk knew in his country they called this begging. He quickly clicked some pictures to used as a blackmail material...if he can't use it now he was determined to use it in the future somehow.

But after a few pictures his finger froze on the flash when after the performance he saw her hand the whole can filled with money to a little boy around 7 to 8 years old.

He recognized that boy, he has seen him outside the campus several time. The boy begs near the University for his sick mother's treatment and Batuk gives him 5 to 10 lira's every time he sees him, he could have done more but his prejudices stopped him from helping further.

He doesn't remember ever seeing a smile on that boys face...but today, he was smiling... though was tears in his eyes. He was smiling through tear stained face.

Durga kneed on the ground to be on the face level with the boy and wiped his face and lovingly caressed her hand on the boys head.

That's the moment Batuk's finger unconsciously clicked the last picture.

Soon after the boy ran from there clutching the can to his chest but not before kissing Durga's cheek. When the boy left he noticed Durga was smiling too...and she had tear in her eyes too...

"What are we doing Batuk? She not the bad person here, we are!...for trying to seek her weakness and exploit it." Vijay said from behind him who has also witnessed everything.

Batuk didn't answer him, instead he just walked away from there.

So in these three days nothing really changed, nothing that can impact their situation...nor Batuk's neither Bondita's...then on the next day, on the afternoon of 8th September 1940 something changed...

....then everything changed...
--
AN- i know this chapter was rushed... because I'm rushing to take Bondita back to Tulsipur...and to bring Anirudh back into the story. Sorry if you guys didn't like it...

And if you did like it please let me know in the comments and don't forget to press the ⭐. They motivates me to write more...😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34K 1.7K 27
Based on the show "Barrister Babu" This fanfiction is based on my imagination. Peep into know more❣ ~Love Writer Nandini💞
58K 3.1K 18
This novella is basically a fanfiction on the show, Barrister Babu. It is based on the current track when Bondita was forced to go through a "shudhik...
12.6K 1.1K 16
(completed) It's a new generation story of Anidita. This story revolves around Bondita Malhotra & Anirudh Roy Chaudhary. Bondita is clingy, sweet, qu...
34.1K 4.9K 126
Anirudh heir of Roy Chaudharys falls in love with Bondita, later known as an Ichadhari Naagin. However, he decides to sacrifice his love on knowing...