Watching Sunrises

By AngPaglayag

In the first of a series of spin-offs to Talk First, Think Later, Pia and Loren, whose relationship status st... More

Moving Day
Tea Break
Hard Decisions
Beach House
Sleepless in London
Invitation Letter
Cafe Strolls
Perfect Presents
Sweetest Escape
Approved Request
Courtesy Call
Emergency Flight
Tuna Casserole
Smallest Things
Drunken Haze
Shared Stories
Morning Confessions
Coming Home
Sunrise + Sunset
Ring Size
Trophy Wife
Masks Off
London Dreaming
Housewarming Party - Epilogue

Post-Assembly Surprise

276 20 18
By AngPaglayag

At the IPU assembly, Pia kept dozing off on her chair after listening to one speech after another in the past four hours. Right beside her is Leni jotting down notes and important points from each speaker.

She then checked her watch for the fifth time in a span of five minutes. Usually, Pia listens to the debates on the assembly floor and looks for nuggets of insights she could find.

Except for the fact that right before the lunch break, Leni mentioned a so-called 'surprise' she prepared for her. This made Pia even more bored and antsy than usual.

"Lens, di pa ba ito matatapos?", Pia whined. "Excited nako sa surprise mo, eh."

Leni wore her eyeglasses and read the paper containing the agenda. "Hmm, I think siya na ata ung last for today. Kaunting kembot na lang, Peej."

Pia fidgeted in her seat while waiting for the parliamentarian on the podium to end his speech. After what seemed like forever, the gavel banged three times, signaling the adjournment of the assembly.

"Hmm, medyo overtime tayo today", Leni said, checking her watch. "Sana hindi pa naiinip kasama natin."

As soon as they got out of the convention center, Leni led the relatively long stroll to the Sessions Arts Club. Once the two of them got there, Leni blocked Pia from entering the restaurant. "Teka lang, Pia. Wait mo lang ako."

Pia grinned in anticipation of what was coming next. Whatever this is, it's definitely going to be one for the books.

A couple of minutes later, Leni popped back outside with a sequined eye mask on-hand. 'PJ, suot mo ito."

Pia complied and wore the eye mask as told. Once the mask was all secured, Leni held her hand and guided her inside the restaurant. As they got closer to their destination, Pia could smell a familiar scent in front of her - one that takes her back to happier times.

"Sige, upo ka dito.", Leni's said as she led Pia to her seat, before giving the signal. "Okay, you may now remove your blindfolds."

Quickly, Pia removed her blindfold only to find Loren, donning a green suede jacket, plum lipstick, and large shell earrings sitting right in front of her. Clearly, the London air has done her favors because, in her eyes, she looked even more beautiful than the last time she saw her.

"Reg– Loren?"

"Pia?", Loren called out before giving her that smile that just crinkles her nose a certain way.

"Lord, I am not your strongest soldier...", Pia thought to herself.

Pia then faced Leni in amazement. "Grabe ka, how did you pull this off?"

Leni simply smirked at them. "I have my ways."

Seconds after, Pia turned her attention back to Loren. "So...how are you doing?"

Loren took a sip of her water before stirring the glass with it. "Doing great...(miss na miss na kita)."

Pia didn't quite catch that last sentence. "What?"

"Wala...", Loren answered, staring at Pia with a dreamy look. "London's all right - currently writing my dissertation, seeing a therapist every week, even took up painting and writing poetry again. Ikaw? Balita ko kayo ni Risa sumusunod sa yapak ko diyan."

Slowly, Pia snapped out of her lovestruck haze and landed back into reality. "Pretty busy. I kind of...encouraged...Leni to join the IPU so we ended up joining the assembly together."

Leni let out a loud laugh and slapped Pia's arm. "Encourage ka diyan, binraso mo 'ko, eh."

Pia gasped in feigned indignation. "I did not, Leni. I just shared that it gives you a chance to travel abroad a lot."

"Alam mo naman mahina ako pag biyahe pinag-uusapan, eh.", Leni pouted.

Loren jumped into the conversation. "Speaking of parliament, did you know that this restaurant used to be an old courthouse? They say everything in the menu is locally sourced from small businesses and suppliers. Galing, no?"

There Loren went another of her infodumps - long, rambling monologues about anything she could think of - spiels Pia missed listening to, although she doesn't know if it's because she learns something new every time or if she just misses listening to her voice.

The conversation went on once the food was served. At one point during the meal, Loren piped up with another question. "Leni, do you think Risa's awake by this time?"

Leni checked her watch. "Hmm, 2am na sa Manila. She might be...try ko tawagan sa FaceTime."

After a couple of minutes, Leni answered her phone. "Hi, Mahal! Gising ka pa?"

"Alive na alive pa.", Risa's voice giggled from the other side.

"Hulaan mo kung sino kasama ko ngayon."

Not even five seconds after, Risa answered. "Si Ate Lo ba yan? That voice is very familiar."

Leni then panned her camera to Pia beside her, who waved at Risa's face on video, then to Loren, who gave Risa a flying kiss.

Risa formed a heart with both hands. "Ate Loooooo, miss na kita."

"How's life as the second female majority floor leader and first in over 25 years?", Loren asked.

"Regina, talagang isiningit ang sarili?", Pia said while stuffing herself with some roe.

"Manahimik ka, Pilar.", Loren quipped before making a kissy face. "Sabihin mo lang miss mo na ako."

"Ay, hindi naman.", Pia rolled her eyes. "What gave you that idea?"

Leni propped her phone on one of the napkin stands while giggling with Risa at the exchange between Pia and Loren.

"Sabi ng umiiyak pag napapadaan sa office ni Loren.", Leni answered back while taking a forkful of pasta.

Risa took a swig of water on video. "Oh my God, tapos ako pa talaga sabihan niyo na marupok porket Pisces ako."

Animated conversations continued for a while until Risa dropped off for bed.

Loren, Pia, and Leni exited the Sessions Arts Club and enjoyed the fresh air for a bit. It was Leni's turn to ask about the next steps. "Loren, malapit lang ung flat mo dito, no?"

"Yeah, just a 5-minute walk.", Loren answered.

Without thinking, Pia said something she never thought she would have the courage to say, especially in front of other people. "Do you want me to walk you home?"

Loren stared at her with her mouth agape before nodding. "Yeah, sure. I would love that."

"Shit, what did I get myself into?"

Leni broke the silence to wave her goodbye before heading to another direction. "Sige, balik nako sa hotel. Ingat kayo!"

Pia and Loren went the opposite way and strolled under the city lights. Neither of them spoke a word, but it was the comfortable type of silence shared with someone one knows for as long as they do.

At some point during the walk, Loren reached out her hand to Pia's and gazed into Pia's eyes. Pia responded with a nod and linked her fingers with Loren the same way they used to do under the table during committee hearings back in the old days.

Neither of them let go of each other until they reached the entrance to Loren's flat. Pia wanted to hold her just a bit longer, but alas it was time to head back to the hotel.

"Happy to be able to see you again after so long, Pilar.", Loren said, linking her pinky finger with Pia's

"Me too, Regina.", Pia replied.

Their gazes lingered for longer than expected before Loren reached up to kiss Pia's lips. The kiss felt both too short and too long at the same time, at least in Pia's opinion.

"Nasa bahay ako buong araw bukas.", Loren said. "Di nga lang ako sure kung gaano ka-puno ang schedule mo."

It's Pia's chance - it's either now or never. "I'll come over first thing in the morning. Can just ask Leni to fill in for me."

Loren raised her eyebrows. "Playing hooky now? Pilar, this isn't you."

A cheeky smile emanated from Pia's face. "Nothing wrong with skipping occasionally."

The two of them shared a laugh before going their separate ways. This time, Pia couldn't stop smiling no matter how hard she tried. "Better make the rest of my time in London count."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

285K 6.6K 20
Emily had to take a year off from school because of her mental health, and now she's 18 and ready to start fresh. She's always been a straight-A stud...
46.9K 1.3K 31
Risa and Leni may have their LQ's but surely meant for each other. They will meet people who will either be good for them or will leave a scar on the...
150K 4K 37
When a teacher starts at a new school she is devoted to help her students. She's the caring type but still lives a partying life. Helping one of her...
260K 9.8K 35
Book #1 of "The Four" book series spin-off (Read "The Four" book series first!) Warning: Mature (18+) content! "So then f*ck me like you hate me," I...