A Throne Amongst the Stars

By kelreadsandwrites

This is a Poe Dameron x Reader story that will mostly be my own original plot, with references and characters... More

Foedari
Libertas
Eques
Gratias Tibi
Vetiti
Subitis
Deditionem
Reditus
Animus Vinculum
Et Hoc Pล“nitet
Tuus Sum
Osculare Me
Desponsata
Mollis Unita
Vir Meus
Aeternus Amator
Contritos Corde
Tui Fidelis Devotus
Imperatrix Mea
Requiescet In Pace
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Perniciosius
Secernere Ab Ipso
In Omni Universo, Te Amabo
Purgatio
In Morte Separamus
Aeternum

Vernus Amor

1.4K 72 177
By kelreadsandwrites

[A/N: Hello my lovely readers! Here is the first chapter of A Throne Amongst the Stars! There is a playlist for this book already, titled ATATS, and I'll include the link in the comments. I'm very excited for this book and I hope you enjoy! -K 🖤]
***
The early hours of the morning and breaking peaks of the dawn were silent as I gazed outside of my paned window that I had opened the evening before. I desired the perfect canvas for the night sky, attempting to count the unreachable stars as they hung delicately above me.

I had lost count of the glimmering diamonds against the evening sky as well as losing track of time. Once again, I had persevered and refused to sleep so I could memorize the hypnotizing stars above me.

How could I sleep when the night was more vigorously alive and mysterious than the day?

The stars, planets, moons, and suns would forever be an impossible distance away, and no matter how far I reached or how high I strained, I would never be fully able to experience or witness the extent of my kingdom that I would one day be called to rule.

If I even accepted the throne.

"Good morning, Your Highness." A soft voice beckoned from the entryway of my bedroom threshold.

I peered over my shoulder and smiled kindly, content with who had entered my private quarters. "Good morning, Verum." My maidservant was studying me carefully as she entered my personal quarters. She was middle aged, yet her brown eyes were ethereal and young. Her lengthy raven hair was secured in a simple bun at the nape of her neck. She wore an earthy toned dress, complete with an apron and rolled sleeves. Verum was the sweetest soul on the planet, and from a young age, she had always been there caring for me and lending her shoulder for me to cry on as I matured. "Did you sleep well?"

Verum smiled and nodded timidly. "Yes, ma'am. Thank you. How was your rest? Hopefully you slept through the night?" She inquired, approaching me as my hands continued to incessantly labor in front of me.

"Well, in the 23 years you've been with me, I would have expected you to know better." I giggled playfully. "When the stars reveal themselves..." I bit my lip and glanced out my open window before me, wishing that the rising sun would reverse its responsibility and set as quickly as it had peeked over the distant mountain range, "I must study them. I must watch and admire them. I must...paint them. They fascinate me."

Fascination was an understatement. I was obsessed with the stars. After being ceremoniously trapped by the royal confines and restrictions of the planet, and seeing the same sights daily for nearly a quarter of a century, I desired to break through the barrier of the atmosphere of Interitus.

I desired to be free.

The paintbrush in my hand lowered as I added a final stroke, completing yet another painting of the constellations that would plaster themselves outside of my window. Every night would inspire another painting as each evening was significantly different from the last, and each were unique in its own accord.

"Your Majesty, if I may," Verum cleared her throat and shuffled towards me quietly, "It seems as if the stars aren't the only subject of your skilled paints this time." She motioned to the faint portrait of a blurred face amongst the shadowed clouds of my painting.

I chuckled and placed my brush into the small pot of water on my easel. The faint portrait stared back at me as I tried to determine why he continued to invade my mind during the night. There were no definitive details of his face, only the fact that he was stubbornly insistent on ruining my peaceful dreams. I refused to sleep because of him. "Yes. He plagues my dreams and I can't stand to see him when I sleep. And yet, he has apparently creeped his way into my stars." I sighed in defeat, glancing away from the painting before me. I tapped my chin and abruptly stood from my cushioned seat. "What is on my schedule for today, Verum?"

As quickly as I could, I closed my paints and sealed them. I then swirled my brushes in my water pot, being sure to not allow the paint to dry within the bristles.

Verum laid a cerulean dress onto my bed which donned a velvet, amethyst down-feathered comforter. "Your mother requests your presence in the throne room before your studies begin. Your father, the King, has also requested that you join him for a meeting with the generals of Interitus and of the neighboring planets around midday."

I sighed and nodded in submission, knowing it was my responsibility and duty to conform to the wishes of my parents. "Okay... Verum, will you tell me about the legend of Vernus Amor again?" I asked, needing to be reminded that perhaps I could change my fate.

For the recent week, my parents were insistent that I consider entertaining the proposals of eligible bachelors from distant planets.

For years, I had successfully evaded them.

"Oh, again?" She chuckled and assisted me in removing my nightgown. "Well, as with the legends of Interitus...it has been long declared that true love is an eternal bond." Her hands worked delicately at beginning to tie my corset. "The myths of old say that there is only one true lover for us all, and should we be separated, our hearts will never be properly healed to love another ever again." Verum tightened the laces gently as I held onto my bedpost. "Ternus and I knew we were meant for one another the moment we laid eyes on each other."

I turned towards her, "How old were you?" I inquired softly, knowing that it was uncommon for a woman of my age to still be unwed.

It was as if my worth was dependent on marriage to a man I harbored no love for.

"I was seventeen. He was eighteen." Verum grinned as she pulled the corset strings. "Legend also says that a true love's kiss is so powerful, that it permanently bonds two souls for eternity. It's so powerful, it even acts as a wedding contract. The first time Ternus and I...kissed, we believed the tales of old and declared, insisted that we were married. Our families weren't supportive of our union, so we traveled away from our homes and found a place where we felt safe enough to start our life together. He bestowed his ring, his family's crest, on my finger right after he kissed me for the first time." She laughed, then reached for my day dress. "It was far too big, so he purchased a small chain and made it into a necklace for me. We've been married ever since."

I hummed in consideration, wondering if the tales of love I had heard about were true in the slightest. "That's beautiful." My parents were brought together by the means of an arranged marriage, a betrothal for the benefits of two separate kingdoms to be conjoined as one.

I would reject that fate for as long as I lived.

If I was able to forge my own path, I would become Queen without a husband.

But if I was able to truly pursue what I desired, I would leave Interitus for a chance to travel among the stars.
***
"It would be wise if you considered his offer." My mother, Queen Venustas, paced the ornate scarlet rug that trailed to the three thrones that sat idle on an elevated podium in the middle of the high vaulted throne room.

The throne room was illuminated brightly by the stained glass dome of the ceiling, casting a multitude of scattered colors through the tan, pillared corridor.

"Mother, I understand. But I do not wish to entertain this outlandish idea." I returned, holding the bottom of my cerulean dress as I approached her pacing form. She was adorned in a violet gown, decorated with gold accents and jewelry. Her crown was also constructed of pure gold, accessorized by the rarest jewels the in this quadrant of the galaxy.

She was known as the Queen of a Thousand Suns, making me the Princess of a Thousand Suns, the both of us two of the most sought after and powerful royal women in the galaxy.

Thankfully, our planet, Interitus, was a planet of warfare, protected by pure military strength and omniscient power. Rulers from different and varying sectors of the galaxy would create pacts with my father for military aid and protection, trading precious metals and rare items of unfathomable wealth in return.

Because of these transactions and crusades of indignant warfare, Interitus was known as the Planet of Destruction and Wealth.

To those who didn't harbor any adoration for my father, the King, or the planet itself, we were sometimes labeled the Monarchy of Mayhem.

And I wanted nothing to do with it.

My mother nervously twiddled her fingers as she continued to pace. Her hair, wrapped elegantly in small braids of her dark brown hair, cascaded down her back, nearly reaching her ankles. My hair, similar in color and extreme thickness to my mother's only reached below my waist, yet it was pulled away from my face in an intricate design by Verum earlier this morning.

My mother and I had been conversing for nearly twenty minutes about the same subject that I no longer wished to discuss.

She rubbed her temple and faced me, pausing her stressful pacing. "(Y/N)." She sighed and gracefully adjusted her sleeves. "As much as I desire for you to be happy, you must remember the life you were born into."

"I didn't ask to be born into royalty, Mother." I returned, allowing my hands to release the bottom of my dress. "I do not want to be betrothed to nor be expected to marry someone I have never met."

"Your father and I met on our wedding day." She replied, walking towards me elegantly. "We have been married for nearly 30 years and we are finding more ways to love each other every day." Her hand palmed my cheek gently. "When I was young, I dreamed of finding love that wasn't prescribed to me. Because of our heritage, we aren't allowed the opportunity to pursue what our hearts desire." She sniffed and caressed my cheek with her thumb. "I want you to be happy, my daughter. But we must also fulfill our duties."

I allowed my head to hand as she embraced me. I loved my mother and father dearly. They were the only family I had, as I was an only child. It was my responsibility to be prepared for the throne and to continue the royal bloodline.

"In his letter, he has promised security, protection, and several conjoined business proposals with Interitus. What he has to offer you outweighs what many suitors before have claimed to be able to provide." She explained, rubbing my shoulders in comfort.

"He could offer me the entire cosmos and I still wouldn't accept." I gritted, shaking my head and sighed dejectedly.

My mother also released an exhausted sigh. "Your 24th year is approaching. You've avoided every suitor and bachelor that has written and traveled to Interitus for you." She tilted her head. "Is there another suitor on this planet that I'm not aware of?"

"No, Mother. There is no suitor at all." I swallowed harshly and looked into her emerald eyes. "What I want... Is not on Interitus." Perhaps she'd understand that this life was not what I desired either.

For most of my life, beginning at an early age, I had been delegated and trained only to perform as a royal ambassador. I never had the chance to enjoy my childhood. Maturing into a teenager meant more responsibilities and lessons in eloquence.

Now as an adult, I was expected to perform my duty faithfully and without question, even if it meant being dishonest to myself.

"I will write back to him that you need more time to consider his proposal." My mother chided, patting my shoulder gently. "But I do encourage that you keep his interest in the back of your mind. He's been pursuing your hand for several months now." She added, walking around me and towards the trio of thrones.

"You might want to include that he will have to wait an eternity." I whispered, deciding that under no circumstances would I accept his offer. Why would I, knowing that he had never sacrificed the trip to meet me in person?

For someone to prove their affection for me, it would take more than an elegant letter that was most likely written by a scribe of his.

My mother chuckled as she took her seat in her throne. "You're insistent on following every rule, yet you have an innate need to rebel, (Y/N). You are a princess, not an anarchist." She raised her eyebrows as I approached her. "I'm not forcing you to do anything you don't wish to do. I..." She shook her head and palmed her forehead. "I just want the best for you, my daughter. I love you more than the depths of the galaxy, and nothing will ever change that."

"I love you too, Mother." I responded, sitting in my father's throne beside her. "I wish you understood."

"Understood what, my dear?" She asked, placing her smith hand over mine. She studied me intently, watching the mixture of emotions phase over my features.

I relaxed into the cushions and stared at the mesmerizing flood of rainbow colors that drifted in from the ceiling, decorating us as we reclined in the thrones. "Me." I returned, kissing her hand gently before standing and exiting swiftly.
***
My hands remained in my lap as the several men continued to berate each other with their shouts and ridiculous words. My eyes flickered silently to each general and military commander, from Interitus and from the surrounding and neighboring planets.

"We have no idea when our planet is the next target! Our supplies are exactly what they're searching for!" A fully decorated man, who was sweating intensely, and who displayed a large medallion in the center of his chest, slammed his hand onto the massive oak table. "I vote against offering protection to the planet of Sorkayne because of the risks that follow." He was the General of Leraxis, known for his selfish tendencies.

A balding man scoffed and tossed his hands into the hair. "So, you'll allow my innocent subjects, that I've sworn to protect, be the next victims of an attack by this adversary?!" The General of Sorkayne stood abruptly in contempt, pointing at the general of Leraxis.

My father, King Daemon sighed beside me as the men of the round table verbally abused the other. He removed his colossal crown from his head and placed it on the table before him, silencing the erratic shouts and accusations.

"How dare you behave this way in front of my daughter?" He questioned with an obvious threat lacing his tone. "How dare you shout in her presence and make fools of yourselves around my table? In my castle. On my planet." He motioned to the crown he had replaced onto the table. "Perhaps, once you are finished arguing, one of you can decide who will make the better King of this sector of the galaxy, because you are so insistent on handing this issue without my inclusion or advice."

Awkwardly, the men cleared their throats and muttered their apologies towards me. They slightly bowed and returned to their seats, avoiding eye contact with my father.

"As your High King, I expect a level of decorum on my planet, which most of you are currently guests on. Should I remind you the military force that bears my name and insignia?" He inquired, inspiring the men to shake their heads negatively, knowing exactly how powerful my father was and how fearful and honorable they should be towards him.

Part of my training was to be experienced in negotiation. My father did not accept every notion for battle, but found that some of the most promising and fruitful solutions was a contract or negotiation that reached a census of peace.

"If I may." I finally spoke, glancing to my father as he replaced his crown intimidatingly.

"Of course, my daughter. These affairs include you and your advice. Perhaps it would be better if the men were silent." He gravely returned, winking at me and scratching his graying beard. His hazel eyes, that were the same as my own, gleamed proudly at me as I stood from my position at the head of the table.

My father insisted that I sit in a position of authority to prepare myself for the approaching day where I would delegate as the principal ruler.

"Each one of you are aware that there is a continuous power struggle occurring in distant sectors." I placed my hands onto the wooden table, staring at each man. They had been arguing about a diabolical force that was sweeping over planets and subduing them for their own accord. We didn't know the identity of this force, but knew that they were approaching our sector for obvious reasons. "There is power in multitudes, in numbers. We cannot allow any one of our planets, no matter the populous or the wealth, to be secluded and allowed to be overcome. We cannot allow ourselves to be forced apart and turn on each other in aggression when there is an enemy that preys on the weakness that has been displayed in this very room."

"What do you suggest, Your Majesty?" A timid, yet pronounced voice spoke from the side of the table. Everyone was staring at me in expectation, preparing to take notes in advance.

"We do not show fear or cower. Whoever this is, is feeding off of the feared and forced honor of the conquered sectors." I stood up straighter and nodded in resolution. "We will not search for a war. However, should one be started on any of our planets, we will be the ones to finish the war and vanquish this reign of terror." I silently returned to my chair and watched as they all began to whisper in hushed discussions.

A moment passed as the leaders discussed their options before turning towards my father and I. The general of Sorkayne was the representative to speak. "We agree with the Princess' solution and have offered to lend our support and resources should any of the plants within this chamber require it. I speak for everyone when I say that we stand with you and your family, King Daemon."

"Yes, we agree." The General of Leraxis nodded and adjusted his collar. "We apologize for the tensions and disruptions that we have been the cause of. You have our undying support and pledge of honor, King Daemon."

My father nodded and cleared his throat. "Let us take a recess. We will return to discuss possible plans should an attack take place within our sector. You are temporarily dismissed." He added, causing every man to suddenly stand and excuse themselves from the war room.

My eyes followed them as they all disappeared out of the massive and solid wooden doors, slamming closed as my father and I were the only remaining people left.

"I'm more than proud of you, my daughter." He finally spoke, turning towards me as my eyes left the doors opposite of me.

"Thank you, Father. I didn't add anything that hadn't been discussed previously." I mentioned, tapping the table as I chewed my lip in consideration. "Do you fear that Interitus is a target for this insidious force?"

He clicked his tongue and relaxed into his large chair. At 6'6, my father was a colossal and intimidating man. His chairs and throne had to be specifically formulated for his frame.

He held my hand gently, his fingers running over my knuckles tenderly. "We've been a target for generations. No one has gotten past the atmosphere successfully and not many people have been stubborn enough to try it. Fear not, my beloved daughter. I will ensure your safety."

I chuckled, covering his hand with my other hand. "I don't fear for myself, but for our subjects. For the subjects of every planet that is included within our kingdom. It is our responsibility to protect them." I smiled, watching his own lips curve upward.

"You are exceptional. Interitus and the entire cosmos will be lucky to have you as its-" He began, but I only shook my head in laughter.

"As its Queen?" I finished for him, watching him chuckle profoundly. "I've heard you and mother on several occasions. I hardly know how to be an effective or acceptable princess.

My father removed his crown and admired it before placing it on my own crown-less head. It was obviously larger than I needed, but it sat heavily on my hair and my mind. "I was going to say King. You certainly have the mind of both, my daughter."

His words caused my heart to beat slightly faster. Never had I considered the title of King, but I was aware of how much power resided in the name itself.

"Thank you, Father. But I cannot accept this." I returned his crown to his greying curls and kissing his cheek. "Your crown is your own, as well as your title." I patted his bearded cheek and sauntered around the table.

"Will you return, (Y/N)? For the proceeding discussion?" He asked, observing as I reached for the handle of the door.

I glanced over my shoulder and smirked rebelliously. He chucked in response. "I've heard enough of the men. I'm going to study in peace."

"Haven't you studied everything already?" He questioned, drumming his knuckles on the table. "I'm positive you've read through the library twice." He smiled and leaned his head onto his palm.

I shrugged and pulled open the door. "Four times. But the legends of Interitus are my favorite." I winked at him, and exiting the war room. "I love you!"

"I love you too, dear! Happy studying!" He quipped as the door closed and I strutted down the hallway to the library.

Reading and studying about the Legends of Vernus Amor made me forget about my own plight and insatiable desire to have what has only been recorded as a myth.

Maybe if I believed in the myth desperately enough, perhaps one day it would land before me as a gift descended from the heavens.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

189K 9.8K 66
โ˜พ โ‹†*๏ฝฅ๏พŸ::โ € : .โ‹† he hates every single bone in her body but at the end of the day, she is his weakness. "๐ข ๐ฐ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐ง๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ" ...
502K 8.5K 93
Some Imagines/One-Shots for some of Star Wars' best characters from all eras. โ€ข Prequels โ€ข Clone Wars โ€ข Original Trilogy โ€ข Rebels โ€ข The Mandalorian...
3.8K 184 29
Her head was spinning, her mind swirling around with questions and thoughts. Tears spilled out her eyes uncontrollably and no one could stop them. Sh...
5.6K 464 26
TRIGGER WARNINGS - EVERYTHING !!!! IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO REAL-LIFE VIOLENCE AND HORRORS, PLEASE SKIP MY STORIES COMPLETELY INSTEAD OF REPORTING THE...