Half and Half

By Ginnyrules27

The Isle was her home. Auradon was his. It was all they ever knew-until something happened to make it so that... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine

Chapter Eleven

272 17 6
By Ginnyrules27

Persephone sighed as she made her way to the portal. Normally she would have had Mal with her but with Mal having gone down for a nap, Persephone didn't see a need to wake her up. Not when the castle was full of people who would look after her.

Not to mention, Persephone wouldn't be too long. However, this was something that would require face to face interaction rather than simply using the mental link.

Gods, I can't believe it, she thought as she stared at the portal. The council actually voted to send Beast of all people to the Isle. Gaston alone would lead the charge to finish the job he failed to do the minute Beast stepped foot on the Isle...which is why I'm here.

"Hades," Persephone spoke into the portal and waited for the image of her husband to appear.

"Steph?" Hades asked as he appeared on the portal. "Is everything okay? You usually don't portal call this early in the day."

Persephone couldn't help but smile at the warm and loving tones in his voice, the tones that could only be heard when he spoke to her or about Mal. Though now that Mal knew the truth, that hopefully would change.

"I know dear and normally I would have waited to make the call but I...I wanted you to hear the news from me rather than hear it on the Isle grapevine. Beast has...has just been stripped of his title and sentenced to the Isle," Persephone said, her voice soft as if she was trying to avoid being overheard.

"What?"

"Oi, taste testers! You ever heard of privacy?" Hades exclaimed as Uma and Harry rushed in.

"Excuse me for being curious after the last time you had a portal call with Aunt Steph, I found out Mal was my cousin," Uma said, shaking her head. "Now, Aunt Steph was talking about King Beastie being sentenced to the Isle?"

Persephone sighed, and made a mental note to tell Hades about their petition to adopt Mal being delayed later. The kids didn't need to know about that just yet. "Apparently there are some on the council who can sympathize with the plight of you kids," she said. "As well Belle talked to Mal and me to get a sense of the Isle and Mal told her the truth. Five year old don't exactly have a filter after all, especially when they're in pain, and since Beast was the one deemed the most responsible for the Isle...once they found out it hadn't been monitored properly for about eight or nine years..."

"I get it," Hades said with a small nod.

"He'll be officially leaving for the Isle in about two weeks, to give him time to get everything in order for Belle and his children," Persephone said. "However, Hades, that's why I wanted to reach out to you. You know as well as I do that when the Isle finds out he's on the Isle, he won't last a day. They'll be out for his blood."

"That's true," Harry nodded. "Fish for Brains keeps telling me about how his dad will rant about how he wished he had 'finished the job when he had the chance'."

Thank you for making my point for me Harry, Persephone thought with an inward sigh.

"But what else can be done about that?" Hades asked. "It's not like Beast has earned himself any allies on the Isle with his lack of action."

"Hades..."

"...Wait...you're not going to say that I should...why would I help Beastie? Do you know how many kids are in the Underworld because of the situation the Isle's in? And I'm supposed to help the man who created the Isle? No way Steph!"

"Hades...I know," Persephone said. "Trust me I do, but Beast has already been stripped of his title and life in Auradon...stripped of his wife for the rest of his life...the only solace he'll have is that his four year old son and his daughter when she's old enough will be able to come to the Isle every six months. Sound familiar?"

"Wait...they're sending royals to the Isle?" Uma asked. "Beastie's one thing but his kids too? I think Uncle Hades has the right idea when he says that the sun melts their brains in Auradon. And I'm guessing Aunt Steph that you want me and Harry and Mal to look after the sunspot?"

"If you could Uma," Persephone said. "He won't have any friends on the Isle after all and he's already befriended Mal here so you won't have to worry about him having an attitude or anything."

"I'll believe it when I see it," Uma muttered.

Hades shook his head. "This place will eat those two alive...but I see what you're doing, mentioning the six months," he said with a sigh.

"It was my idea actually," Persephone told him. "Zeus told me about the news over the mental link as I was getting Mal to sleep and I went to the council meeting. Trust me it took some convincing. But those kids will need their father, Hades....and I know you don't want to see another child's soul in your Underworld."

"Aunt Steph plays hardball," Uma said, sounding more than a little impressed.

"Well you told me that she has to deal with Zeus for six months right? She'd have to play hardball with him," Harry nodded though Persephone could hear an impressed note in his voice as well.

Persephone sighed. "Hades, I know you hate him. You have every right to. I'm not exactly his number one fan right now either because if it wasn't for him creating the Isle we'd be together. But then I remember that if it wasn't for him creating the Isle, Uma wouldn't exist. Mal wouldn't exist. And if it really bothers you to think of yourself doing something for Beast, then don't think of this as doing this for him. Think of you putting Beast, Prince Ben, and Princess Abigail under your protection for them and for your own sake. Do you really want to tell Prince Ben that his father's dead before he's even six? Not to mention you'll have the added bonus of not seeing new children's souls in the Underworld."

"Okay forget about what I said earlier. That was hardball," Uma said.

Hades sighed. "Can you two give us a moment of privacy? You can go taste some of the other stuff that I said you couldn't."

"Oooh!" Harry and Uma lit up and raced out of the room.

Persephone chuckled. "You're getting the hang of unclehood there, Hades," she told him once she was convinced the room was truly void of young ears.

"I don't think that's a word, Steph," Hades said, shaking his head.

"If fatherhood can be a word, why can't unclehood?"

"...The fact that that makes sense unnerves me more than it should."

Persephone chuckled. "And you're stalling Hades. You know I'll have to give Beast and Belle an answer about whether or not their children will have your protection for six months out of the year."

"And why can't they have your protection? Since you'll be here too?"

"Because my protection won't extend to Beast."

Hades sighed. "If it was Beastie asking for this or even Belle, I'll probably say no the moment I heard it be proposed. But you raise a good point about the sunspots, Gaston wouldn't hesitate to hurt them since they're Beastie's kids. Never mind the fact that they're also Belle's kids....actually the fact that they're Belle's kids with a man who's not him would probably enrage him further."

"Does this mean...?"

"Yes Steph, it means what you think it means," Hades sighed. "But I'm not being nice to Beastie."

"Thank you. That's all I can ask or expect of you."

"You're welcome Steph...how's Mal doing? You said she befriended Beastie Jr.?"

"Can we come back in if you're talking about Mal?"

Hades rolled his eyes. "What we're talking about can't be that interesting to you two!"

"It involves us in someway Uncle Hades, and now you're talking about Mal so yeah, it is interesting!"

Persephone chuckled. "They can come in Hades."

It was as if someone had fired her great-niece and said great-niece's best friend out of a cannon with how quickly they entered the room.

"So...how is Mal?" Uma asked as soon as she and Harry got in front of the portal; each child flanking Hades so that Uma was on his right side and Harry was on his left.

"She's...taken everything better than I thought she would," Persephone said. "Though she doesn't know about Beast and the council's decision yet. She went down for a nap because of the pain medicine."

"I thought Apollo once said that children under seven can't take prescription pain medicine?" Hades asked.

"They can't but prescription Ibuprofen is available," Persephone said. "Surprisingly it makes Mal rather sleepy when she takes it. And she still refuses to tell me if she needs anything."

Uma shook her head. "I mean, good because Harry and I don't need her turning soft on us but if you're in Boreadon why not use the resources at your fingertips?"

"Your cousin might just be the most stubborn person I know," Harry said with a small chuckle.

Persephone blinked. "You know you two have taken the news about Mal being Uma's cousin frighteningly well."

"You missed the five hour rant Uma went on after we finished the portal talk where we told Mal," Hades told her.

"Ah, that makes a bit more sense."

Hades shook his head. "As for Mal...it makes sense that she wouldn't ask for anything. Honestly I'm surprised the mortal pain medicine was able to do anything for the half Fae, half God."

Persephone paused. "I...I didn't even think about that. The doctors didn't know about Mal's divine heritage but even her Fae roots should have tipped them off that regular medicine wouldn't have worked."

"Again, another sign of melted brains," Uma said with Harry nodding in agreement.

"Shut it Uma," Hades said though he couldn't help the small snort that escaped his lips before sighing. "It's not surprising though. She's a kid of the Isle after all, she was going to go to her clubhouse if Uma hadn't connected me on the mental link. Thank Gods for that, because I don't think Mal would have let me near her while she was hurt if one of her minions didn't trust me."

"Minions?!"

"Did I stutter?"

Persephone shook her head. "Well I'm certainly thankful for the fact that she did let you near her Hades. I don't even want to think about what might have happened if that ankle didn't heal properly."

Hades sighed softly and shook his head. He didn't want to think about it either. Sure, Mal being part God would have helped and maybe her Fae heritage would have helped her as well but he was still her father. He was going to worry about her, especially when she wasn't with him.

He would always worry.

"I'm proud of you, you know?" Persephone told him.

"I didn't do anything," Hades said.

"You're willing to help someone in need, even if you don't like them. That's something to be proud of."

"I'm not doing it for Beastie though, I'm doing it for the sunspots."

Persephone gave him a small smile. "I know. But it still doesn't change the fact that you're doing it."

"Hmm...if you say so Steph."

"I do say so," Persephone said with a nod of her head before sighing. "I miss you. All of you."

"...Why?" Harry asked. "We're not your kids."

"Harry!" Uma exclaimed.

Persephone chuckled. "You're Mal's friends, why wouldn't I miss you? Just the bit of interaction I got to see on the Isle when you were over in the Underworld was enough to show me that you'd do anything for Mal and she you."

Why do you think I've made them my taste testers? Hades thought to her over the mental link. I mean yeah Uma's family but...I'm not liking the turn Hook's been taking. Almost every time Hook Jr.'s over here, he's got a mark or two on his face or arm.

It's the Isle though Hades. Wouldn't rough play be normal?

...You were lucky to have a mom who loved you Persephone. With Kronos...let's just say I can understand Hook Jr. a bit is all.

Persephone gave Hades a loving smile. Let no one say the God of the Underworld didn't have a heart.

"Tell Mal we hope she's doing okay, Aunt Steph," Uma said, pulling Persephone's attention back to the conversation.

"Of course I will," Persephone nodded. "And I hope you and Harry will help Prince Ben when he's here as well."

"We already said we would," Uma muttered.

"Why would we want to help some snot nosed royal?" Harry asked.

"Because he's allies with Mal," Persephone said, knowing what language she needed to speak to get Harry and Uma on board. "He's not your typical royal either Harry."

"How so?" Uma asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Well for one thing, he's got a fascination with dragons that might just rival Mal's," Persephone told her.

Hades snorted. "I'll believe that when I see it."

"Well dear he does have a stuffed dragon that he carries everywhere so you might just be seeing that sooner than you think," Persephone said.

"He doesn't give Mal a hard time for her liking dragons?" Uma asked before Hades could say anything.

"Not that I've seen, no," Persephone said, shaking her head.

"Hmm, well then that alone is worth a parley in my book but he can't be carrying around a stuffed toy around the Isle. Last thing we need is to be running around after some soft royal when we're trying to get our own territory."

"I'm sure Mal will teach him all about the ways of the Isle," Persephone promised. "But you don't have to worry, he's a friendly boy."

"Friendly doesn't exactly translate well on the Isle, Steph," Hades said. "Especially if that kid is Beastie's. But I'll look after him, I made a promise to you after all."

"Thank you," Persephone said with a small smile. "I'm sure knowing you're looking out for Beast will be a load off of Belle's mind."

"Hey Lord Hades! You could hire Beastie to work in your restaurant and make him do all the grunt stuff!" Harry said with a grin. "Things a spoiled royal would never have to do for himself!"

"I see why Mal keeps you around, kid," Hades said with a chuckle. "That's not a bad idea."

Persephone sighed. "As much as I'd prefer you two got along...I can't argue that it's a bad idea either. It'll be easier to keep an eye on Beast, though Hades. You can't be there all the time."

"Oh thanks for the reminder Steph. Hook Jr, I need to set up a meeting with your father. I want Smee to work at the restaurant and maybe hire some of the deck hands as well. Pirates should scare off most of the idiots from wanting to hurt Beastie."

"I'll talk to papa, Lord Hades," Harry nodded.

"And I'll make sure he doesn't forget," Uma nodded.

Hades and Persephone chuckled before Persephone shook her head. "I should get going. Mal'll be up soon and I should let Belle know you agreed to look out for Beast while he's on the Isle."

"Don't be a stranger Steph," Hades said.

"Yeah, and bring Mal next time!" Uma called.

Persephone chuckled. "I promise, I'll bring Mal the next time I talk with you all. I love you Hades."

"Love you too Steph."

"Blech!" Harry and Uma said but the two Gods paid them no mind. After all, it was the last bit of childish innocence they were rewarded.

"I'll be back before you know it," Persephone said as she signed off the portal before teleporting back to the castle.

At least there would be some safety for Beast. That was something right?

At the same time, Persephone found herself wondering if she was a bad person for feeling a bit of relief at finally having someone feel what she went through every six months. She knew that this was the worst thing Belle would have to deal with but the feeling was still there.

Keep it inside, Persephone thought as she walked through the castle doors. For right now at least. Belle doesn't need it. I'm sure wherever she is, she's having a rather difficult conversation of her own.

Because Persephone knew one thing. The children would need to be told.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.9K 886 35
Crystal Charming is NOT like everyone at Auradon; So what will happen when Prince Ben and her brother Chad suggest she goes to the Isle for a week?
103K 2.5K 30
I get that Prince What's-His-Face wanted to transfer some kids from the Isle of the Lost to Auradon, but did he have to choose me and my friends? Cou...
15.4K 273 13
You would think that six months in Auradon would do any villain kid good. Well, not Hadley. After the events of the Coronation, Hadley's mood took...
28.7K 525 26
Evie lived on the Isle all her life. She had friends, good grades and even a boyfriend. All of this changes when her Ex-Best friend Uma leaves her fo...