I do and I do

By Mercy198

A simple orphaned school teacher with a heart of gold meets a strange and helpless woman who has lost all mem... More

Hello there!πŸ‘‹
P A R T 1
2| Police is your friend
3| They have a situation
4| Okay, he has a friend
5| Let there be no light and there wasn't
6| The school and a wedding card in his hand
7| There's a woman in his house
8| And she blew him away
9| We should take a walk
10| It's not like that. It's like this.
11| We worry on his behalf.
12| Isn't she your bride?
13| She laughed
14| You like her
15| My knight
16| Oh, my church members
17| Our bed
18| Did you say, mar...?
19| It's because of a special emotion
20| It's our little date
P A R T 2
21| Maybe it was never our story
22| Meet the Michaels
23| Are we enough?
24| The new twist in our story
25| Her husband
26| One tear at a time
27| Home is not my home
28| I miss him\her
Bonus chapter 1
Bonus 2

1| The first time he saw her

5.4K 453 22
By Mercy198

As Adedayo neared the school gate that late evening, he spared the guard house by its side a look, a force of habit. The familiar sound of a male's voice speaking in a Yoruba dialect through the radio within the house was enough to let him know the guard was in.

"Have a good night, Sani." He said, a simple smile flashed on his face.

Right away, the guard popped his head out through the small window "Ah, you too, you too, sir." His reply was with great enthusiasm, glad their usual exchange took place.

The minute Adedayo walked out through the gate, he spent a quick second taking in a deep breath and wearing the strap of his briefcase properly over his shoulder before walking down the path to his left. The bus station was about a fifteen minutes' walk from the school. There, he would take a bus headed towards his neighbourhood and another few minutes' walk from the stop.

He stood at the bus station, waiting for the arrival of a prospective danfo bus. The day was getting dimmer and the streets rowdier with people, which included office workers, traders, school students and hawkers, all vying for one purpose, to beat the rush hour period or face the wrath of a traffic jam. Horns blared from near and far, voices joined in the chaos enough to give one a migraine by the end of the day.

"Uncle, buy a banana, a fresh banana." A young lady, not more than twenty years of age stood in his path, carrying a tray full of banana bunches on her head and a sample of one in her hand. Her eyes pleaded for him to at least take a look. He looked away from her, trying to resist the compassion he felt which more often than he would like to admit, puts him in puzzling situations.

You can't help everybody. Sarki's voice resonated in Adedayo's head. A light sigh left his lips. Of course, he knew he can't help everyone but during most of those puzzling situations, he couldn't help himself. He was more moved by his heart than his sense of reasoning. It's a dangerous world and yes, he was ridiculous. That, he was aware of.

"How much for one?" Adedayo asked after he returned his gaze to her, giving in.

She single handedly brought down the tray from her head to the pavement he stood on and motioned. "This side is two hundred naira and this side, three hundred."

Then, he reached for his wallet within his briefcase and pulled out a two hundred naira note. She accepted it, picked out a bunch from the bananas and kept it in a black nylon before handing it over to him. He reached down and helped her lift the tray back onto her head. She appreciated it with a smile. "Thank you, sir." He nodded in acceptance and turned away.

The bus was running later than expected and the people interested in getting onboard were increasing in number. Soon, it'll be a struggle to get into the next available one.

He looked away from his wristwatch and looked to his side for a split second. Though not sure exactly what and why, he found his gaze drift back once more, steadier this time to the person standing beside him. A young lady who looked somewhat in her mid to late twenties. Her height barely equaled his. Her skin was a shade of beautiful caramel. She wore her black hair in straight medium sized cornrows. The view of the side of her face was without a hint of imperfection. Where had she come from quite suddenly? It was a bit uncanny.

You're staring. Adedayo's subconscious reminded and that was when he looked away, staring anywhere else but her. He felt ridiculous, having stared for a moment the way he'd done. He was no perv and it's definitely not a first for him to run into a woman that may have caught his attention for a split second.

When his gaze found its way ahead, he noticed her walking on, rather aimlessly and... the bus honked continuously but she wouldn't stop on her tracks. He reacted on impulse and went after her, grasped her by the shoulders and pulled her back with him in an instant. The bus zoomed by and came to a stop soon after. The people waiting to get in began the push to find a space for oneself. It was the bus he'd been waiting for and instead of hurrying towards it, he looked back at her and she was staring straight at him. Her orbs were a set of hazel brown and deep within them was helplessness. Adedayo knew the look because he'd worn them for years. Her lashes battered delicately. But a light furrow planted itself between her brows, exposing her state of confusion.

Gently, he released his hands off her and took a step back. "Are you alright?" He felt the need to ask and waited for a reply. Still, none came through from her. She simply stared at him; her confused state even more evident.

He stole a quick look at the bus, the conductor was yelling that there was space for one more passenger. That was him. He could make it home on time. But he looked at her once more and she'd shifted her gaze elsewhere, worry and confusion still wearing on her face as she casually rubbed her temple.

You can't help everyone. Sarki's words repeated once more and thus began his dilemma.

"Are you lost?" He asked, in the end giving into his desire to help. Her lips slightly parted, somewhat ready to speak. Yet, nothing came through and she let them touch once more.

"Do you need help?" He made another attempt to get her to speak. Her brows furrowed deeper as her gaze matched his. Then, he watched her gulp.

"I'm hungry." Her words came out a little low and rough. Her desire finally displayed in her eyes. He was a little taken aback as he hadn't expected that reply. So, he remembered the bananas he'd gotten earlier and handed them over to her. She accepted right away, wasted no time in picking out one to peel open and began feeding on, before moving on to the next. Clearly, it has been a long time since she ate something. Adedayo looked one more time at the bus and someone had hurried in, the conductor got in and they were driving away. He ran a hand over his face in a slight frustration.

"Are you waiting for someone?"

She swallowed the lot in her mouth and spoke. "Water."

"Water." Adedayo repeated and as she pointed, his eyes followed the trader a bit further behind him who'd positioned herself at a very spot. Bottles and sachets of water, soft drinks were her goods. "Water." He repeated again, this time, now having understood her. So, he walked up to the seller and she followed suit. Then, he watched as she gulped down almost half of the water and a sigh of satisfaction followed after she was done.

This time, he wasn't sure what to ask next. He knew he needed to say something really soon but he also wasn't sure if she was now prepared to mentally give him some replies.

"Do you have enough money to go home?"

She shook her head and he wasted no time in reaching for his wallet in his briefcase. There were three five hundred naira notes left and he knew deducting even a five hundred from that might have a backlash for him but he did it anyway.

"You can have this. It's not much but it should do." He explained and attempted hurrying off to catch the next bus that just stopped. She was quick to hold on to his arm which made him look back at her, surprised by her action.

"I... I don't know where to go." She said as her hands loosely fell away from his arms. Her voice was better than he had unwillingly expected and this time, his brows squeezed together in the period of the moment.

His lashes battered countlessly for a split second. "You know your way home... right?"

There was hesitation then she shook her head.

This time, a deeper frown played on his face. "Um, do you atleast recall an address or perhaps anyone you can call to come pick you up?"

Her posture was paused for a minute and her eyes steadied with his again. "No."

Adedayo stared at her; taken aback by the situation. A thought flew into his mind. He doesn't know her and she doesn't know him. They were strangers to each other and no one would scold him for walking away right now. Yet, Adedayo couldn't do it. Not the way his sense of reasoning suggested. His feet felt glued to the floor and his heart tugged at the thought of how helpless she must feel.

"Do you... do you have anywhere else to go?"

She shook her head, confusion dancing across her face. "I don't know. I... I can't remember."

Adedayo's eyes widened for an instant, not having expected that sentence.

"You don't remember?"

"No." She replied after a slight hesitation.

"Your name. Do you remember your name?"

He watched as she tried hard to recollect her memories, her brows squeezing further together in frustration and her orbs shifting in a steady left and right. Finally, they were back on him. Her eyes wide in a certain realisation. Adedayo hoped it meant eureka, so she remembered her name. Unfortunately, that would be far from the case.

"I don't remember that either." She confessed and unknown to him, a sigh escaped through the slightly parted space between his lips.

Now, he was sure he wouldn't be able to leave her on her own.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget, comments and votes are appreciated.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 501 28
Him: I've become crazy in your love. She: I never asked you to love me. (She says with an emotionless face) Him: (Seeing her reaction, his heart ache...
16.9K 856 24
Status ~ Ongoing THE SAGA OF LOVE ~ Falling for someone unexpectedly & passionately. ________________________________________ Hey Sunshines 🌻 This...
150K 24.8K 102
Stuck in desperate times, Tiwalola Bamidele is in need of a job to support her single father of four. In the process of her job searching, she met th...