As the Seasons Change and the...

By Mari_Ishida

This is an Omori fanfiction about a ship between the characters Sunny and Basil. This is going to be tooth ro... More

Before we start!
You Deserve This - Sunny
Headaches - Basil
Winter Break! - Sunny
Pizza and Awkward Conversations - Basil
Tulips - Sunny
Take a deep breathe - Basil
A Difficult Disscussion - Sunny
Pink fire
A boyfriend!?
Winter Fair!
Steps Toward Healing
Christmas Presents and Panic Attacks
Nightmares and an Omelet
Noah

Christmas Eve and a Broken Heater

1.1K 27 68
By Mari_Ishida

First off, I'm not sure if any of you follow me but I wanted to let you guys know, if any are interested, that Gladiolus is out! It's an over 21.5k word oneshot about an AU for Omori that follows Kim! Fair warning, it includes topics like Murder, Man Slaughter (There's a difference, look it up), Suicide/Attempted Suicide, Violence/ Mentions of Violence, Major Character Death, and Brutal Deaths. So yeah. Read at your own discretion. That aside though, I put a LOT of work into writing it and I'd really appreciate it if you would go check it out! Alright, enough of that. Enjoy the chapter!

-------------------

Basil set the notebook on his nightstand, pulling his blanket closer over his shoulders. The heater broke last night, so Polly had gotten out all the extra blankets. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do, it's the day of Christmas eve and he'd be spending it by himself mostly. Polly had gone to the store, saying she had missed something. Her trips to the store usually took forever, no matter how small or long her grocery list was, so Basil figured he would be by himself for the next few hours. He glanced at his phone but shook his head, everyone was spending time with family or loved ones. He shouldn't bother anybody. Though Kel had texted him this morning, asking him how he was. Basil had pretty much just said fine and told him about the heater breaking, no response had come after that. Basil shrugged it off, Kel was probably having fun with his family. He stood up, keeping the blanket around him. He nearly hissed at how ice cold the floor was, quickly pulling his legs back up onto his bed and leaning down over it to find the slippers he'd tossed beneath it long ago. Fortunately, they were still there. Unfortunately, they were just out of his reach. He groaned. He really did not want to touch the cold floor, even if only for a moment. He let out a slight sigh and searched near his bed for something he could use to pull the slippers toward him, finding nothing he sighed once more. Curse his tidiness. He placed his blanket on the floor now, standing on it so he could crouch down and reach for the slippers. 

Pulling the slippers out from under the bed, he quickly hopped back onto it. Shivering from the icy air he pulled his blanket back around him, putting the slippers on and standing up. It was almost noon, he should have got something to eat. Well, it's never too late. He walked down the hall, his pajama pants swaying slightly and letting more cold air reach his skin much to his distaste. He shivered once more, making his way to the living room. The lights were off, the whole place seemed like a cave though it held no warmth. Making his way to the kitchen he looked over the fridge's contents, scanning over them hesitantly. Finding nothing that looked appetizing he simply shrugged, maybe he just wasn't hungry. He looked around, unsure of what to do. Maybe he could go back to sleep? After all that's pretty much how he would spend days like this. At least during the past four years. He shook his head gently. Taking a hot shower would be nice while it lasted but he'd be freezing until he was dry so that was a no-go. He pursed his lips. Maybe he could watch a show? Television never really interested him though. 

As he stood there thinking, he was surprised by a knock on the door. Polly was probably back and had her hands full so she couldn't open the door.

"Coming!" He yelled as he quickly made his way to the foyer, he opened the door quickly, then froze in surprise.

"Heya!" Sunny smiled brightly, quite uncharacteristically. "Kel told me your heater broke. I figured I'd bring some stuff over and make sure you were alright."

Basil eyed him. "Oh. I'm sorry! There's nothing to worry about."

"It's okay. I wanted to come here myself anyways." Sunny's bright smile turned into a smaller one.

"Alright." Basil hesitated, before realizing the ravenette was carrying a heavy looking box. "Oh right! Come in! Don't stand in the cold."

Basil quickly ushered his friend inside, shutting the door behind them.

"Not like it's much warmer in here." Sunny leaned over, setting his box down. "Is the electricity still working or was it just the heater?"

"The electricity's working, why?" Basil looked at him confused before realizing Sunny had asked because all the lights were off.

Sunny smiled slightly, "That's good. Come on, let's sit over here." 

He carried the box to the living room space and sat on the floor beside the couch. Basil followed him over, wondering about the contents of the box. His curiosity was answered as Sunny opened it and pulled out what was inside. A mini heater. Basil couldn't help it as he leaned forward despite it not even being on yet. Sunny noticed this and didn't hide his chuckle. He plugged the heater in and pressed the button on it.

"It's gonna take a minute to warm up," Sunny glanced at the blonde. "Wanna make hot cocoa or something?"

Basil paused. "Want coffee instead?" 

"Sure." Sunny shrugged and they both stood, walking to the kitchen. Basil started making the coffee and Sunny sat down.

"Sorry for making you worry." Basil pursed his lips. 

"Quit apologizing." Sunny shook his head. "Like I said, I chose to come here myself."

"Why-" Basil looked at him with genuine confusion. "-I mean I don't mind the visit! But weren't you spending the day with Kel and his family?"

Sunny shrugged. "I kind of felt like I was intruding. So when I heard about your heater breaking I pretty much used it as an excuse to leave."

"I see." Basil set a cup of coffee in front of Sunny then poured one for himself. "Cream?"

"Yes, thanks." Sunny took the bottle of creamer, pouring a little into his coffee. "Is it okay if I stay for a bit? I don't want to be a bother so it's okay if you need me to leave."

Basil smiled slightly, "Of course you can stay for a little. I don't really have anything going on today anyways."

"Thanks." Sunny smiled. "Oh right! I brought some stuff over with the heater also."

Basil followed Sunny back to the box and Sunny pulled out some blankets that were in it. The mini heater was now working well to warm the space. Basil sat in front of it, sighing at the warmth. Sunny sat beside him, now holding something tucked under his arm. He smiled slightly and Basil leaned a little closer to him. The dim light from the heater made it so they could see each other decently but didn't do much to help Basil identify the object. Sunny set it in his lap and reached for a blanket. Basil stared at the photo album for a moment before remembering he hadn't seen it since Sunny got there and his eyes lit up.

Sunny smiled, wrapping the blanket around himself. "I figured I'd bring it over as well. You wanted to see it right?"

Basil nodded eagerly and sat up on his knees so he could lean a little closer and see it better as Sunny opened it. Basil couldn't help his excitement as he saw the photos. He remembered feeling so sad the last time he looked at them, feeling scared nothing would ever be the same again. Now, he had to close his eyes and lean away to keep himself from crying. Sunny noticed this and hesitated.

"Are you alright?" The question left Sunny's lips stiffly.

"Yeah, just give me a second." Basil took some slow deep breaths. "I just don't know how I'm supposed to feel right now."

"What do you mean?"

"It's just... everything is getting better. We're moving forward. Even Aubrey seems to have forgiven us." Basil closed his eyes. "Those photos. So many memories are attached to them. Both good and bad."

Basil let out a slow sigh and Sunny looked at him searchingly.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just afraid of things going wrong again..."

Sunny pursed his lips then smiled slightly. Yeah, he knew how that felt. He gently grabbed Basil's arm and pulled himself closer to him. He placed the photo album between them and looked at Basil.

"I get what you mean..." Sunny paused, trying to make sure what he said next would be well thought out. "Maybe, for now, let's just take the time to look back on these with joy... like you told me before. They're a little sad now, but we can make new memories. For once let's not think about things going wrong. I'm tired of assuming the worst."

Sunny stared at the pictures in the album, "I want to be happy... don't you?"

Basil hesitated, then he nodded slowly. He leaned back against Sunny, their arms pressing against each other now, and looked down at the photo album. Basil smiled lightly now, flipping the pages with Sunny once they'd both finished looking at each one. They got to the final page, looking at the photo of both Mari and Sunny practicing.

Sunny smiled sadly, running his thumb gently over Mari in the picture. He then swallowed dryly and smiled, "I look so small and wimpy."

Basil shrugged. "You didn't really change much. Honestly I think the only difference is your height and well..."

"It's a pretty sick eyepatch." Sunny bounced his eyebrows jokingly, attempting to veto Basil's sad train of thought and earning a smile from the blonde.

"Yeah." 

They sat their for a moment and Basil found himself staring at Sunny for a long moment. Sunny looked at him as well, as if zoning out. Suddenly, Basil shook his head like he was breaking from a trance, coughing awkwardly as his face went red and finally looking away. Sunny looked away quickly too, shutting the photo album.

"A-Anyways!" Basil stood up, leaving the awkward moment behind as he moved over to a shelf on the far side of the room. He'd set his camera there a long time ago to never pick it up again. Dust collected over the lens and he used his sleeve to haphazardly wipe it off as he brought it out. "Wanna see if this thing still works?"

Sunny smiled, "Heck yeah." 

Basil pressed the button and, surprisingly, it turned on. He wiped the lens again before holding it up, "Say cheese!"

"No way." Sunny rolled his eye but smiled, the camera clicked, and Basil moved to sit beside Sunny as it produced the film.

They waited for a moment and much to their disappointment, the film came out blotchy with dark spots, Sunny's face barely visible. 

Basil frowned, "I guess not."

"It's okay!" Sunny, for some reason, seemed unbothered by this. "It's not a big deal."

"You're right." Basil sighed but couldn't hide his disappointment.

Sunny hesitated then pursed his lips. "Wanna go get lunch or something?"

"Sure. But not Gino's please. We've had way too much pizza recently." Basil stood, stretching.

"That's true. I'm pretty sure that fish shop sells sushi." Sunny smiled and stood up as well.

"Sounds good to me."

"Mhm. But uh, you should probably change first." Sunny leaned against the wall slightly, his smile unfaltering.

"Huh what do you-" Basil looked down at himself, his pajama pants were plaid and he wore a gray t-shirt. "Oh-"

Basil rushed off to his room to change as Sunny chuckled at his surprised expression. A moment later, Basil came back. This time in jeans and a sweater. Sunny was waiting for him by the door, he'd put his jacket back on and held Basil's coat out to him. The blonde took it with a smile and put it on quickly. 

"C'mon." Sunny opened the door as Basil pulled his shoes on and quickly followed after. 

As they walked through the snow Sunny smiled. "Christmas is tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. It's nice that we're going to spend the afternoon together." 

Basil nodded. "Yeah."

They walked in silence for a moment until Basil looked up slightly. "Hey Sunny?"

"Hm?"

"Do you still have your violin?" Basil asked, looking at the other male.

Sunny stopped mid-step, his tone slightly aggressive. "Why?" 

Basil's eyebrows rose quickly. "Sorry."

Sunny pursed his lips, then looked away slightly. "No I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that. But uh, yeah. I do have it."

"Oh. Is it still..."

"Broken?" Sunny smiled slightly, "Yep."

Basil nodded. "Sorry."

Sunny shook his head as they walked into OtherMart. "Nothing to be sorry for."

They walked together to the fish lady's shop, looking through the glass at the fish and sushi on display. Basil could feel his mouth water as his eyes landed on sushi with a spicy looking sauce over it. 

He looked over at Sunny and pointed at it through the glass. "Can we get this one?"

"Sure." Sunny leaned forward to see it better. "You like spicy stuff?"

Basil smiled. "Yeah, seems out of character doesn't it?"

"Not really." Sunny shrugged.

They purchased the sushi and the woman behind the counter pulled it from the case for them. As they walked back to Basil's house the world was quiet. Everyone was probably spending time in their houses with friends or family, Basil almost found it funny that the only two people in town without family there were spending time together on Christmas Eve. Basil shook his head at the thought, technically he had Polly. She may not be blood but she'd been more of a mother to him than his mother ever had. He could tell Sunny was deep in thought as well, thinking about what he did not know, but all the same he gave Sunny a slight bump to pull him back to reality. Basil pushed the front door open and was relieved to feel warmth. Thankfully, the mini heater worked well. They both stretched, removing their winter coats and shoes. Setting the sushi on the counter, Basil moved to the silverware drawer. They'd forgotten to grab chopsticks at the shop so forks would have to do fine. The sushi was good, the salmon in it gave it a slight sweetness that mixed well with the spicy sauce that coated it. 

"It feels weird how quickly time is passing." Sunny said slowly, setting down his fork.

"Yeah that's true." Basil nodded, "But like you said, we still have a little more than a week before new year and you go home. Hero's birthday will be the last full day you spend in town right?"

Sunny nodded. "I leave at noon the next day."

Basil looked down slightly. "It may be selfish of me to say this but I really wish you didn't have to leave."

"It's not selfish!' Sunny was quick to respond, "I wish I could stay too! But remember I'll be back during spring break! Your birthday is then too so I'll be sure to bring you something good!"

"You don't have to." Basil smiled.

"Of course I do!" Sunny crossed his arms. "You're my best friend."

Basil felt like he'd been stabbed in the gut but he wasn't sure why. Despite that he chuckled ever so slightly. "Okay then."

Sunny's phone buzzed and he picked it up, looking at the screen and then sighed. "That would be Kel." He stood up. "I should go."

Basil nodded. "No problem. Have fun! Oh- do you want the rest of the sushi?"

"Nah." Sunny shook his head. "Leave it for Polly."

Sunny went over to the box and picked it up along with the photo album. Basil followed him to the door. 

"You can keep the heater till yours starts working." The ravenette smiled. "Oh yeah! I'll see you tomorrow afternoon alright?"

Basil nodded, holding the door open for Sunny. "Thanks for stopping by."

"Any time." Sunny stepped out into the snow, waiving with the hand that wasn't carrying the box. "Bye!"

"Bye." Basil smiled and slowly shut the door. 

The place felt empty now that Sunny was gone and Basil could feel his heart pounding in his ears. He grabbed one of the blankets Sunny had brought over, it was much thicker than the one he'd been walking around with earlier. Wrapping it around himself, he walked over and sat by the heater, attempting to replace the warmth he'd felt a moment before the door had shut. He would see Sunny tomorrow, so why did he feel so sad to see him leave? He narrowed it down to the loneliness of spending Christmas eve by himself. He hoped Polly would be back soon but he could only guess where she'd gone. He laid down on the floor beside the heater, staring at the ceiling and couldn't help but wonder what Christmas eve with his parents would have looked like. He shook his head, thinking about them in a good way wouldn't make them good for real. There was no point pretending his family was something it wasn't.

He rolled onto his side, pulling the blanket tightly around him. A deep sadness he'd buried long ago filled him but he only swallowed and closed his eyes. His family didn't stand in blood relationships but outside of them. His friends, Polly, they were all he needed. So despite his wish for normal parents and a normal holiday, he wouldn't think about what could have been. He'd simply focus on what he had. He took slow deep breaths, the hollowed feeling in his chest unfading as he slowly fell asleep. Tomorrow he'd see his family, everything would be okay. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69K 1.4K 24
Sunny told the truth to his childhood friends. He didn't bother on what they thought. He didn't expect forgiveness and frankly doesn't want it. Sunny...
1.9K 149 39
>ON HIATUS UNITL I FINISH IYD< Basil has changed a lot in six years. One minuscule thing hasn't changed though. Basil's intense love for his childhoo...
48.3K 418 28
2 years after the good ending of omori, sunny is going to college and after all that long time he finds kel, basil and Aubrey going to the same colle...
83.4K 2.2K 80
TRIGGER WARNING!! This story contains mentions of depression, suicide, severe anxiety, Claustrophobia, Thalassophobia, Trypophobia, drowning, chil...