Play Dates

By thefroggysheep

[ ONEUS ] Geonhak is coping with the difficulties of being a single father. His best friend Youngjo believes... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen

Eight

64 1 0
By thefroggysheep

Geonhak is scrolling through a building permit, checking some measurements and practicalities, when he hears a sharp cry from the living-room. He immediately rises and runs in the direction of the sound.

He stops near the sofa, on which Sunyul is sitting cross-legged. His face seems to express pain, and he is still whining. "Baby, is everything alright?" Geonhak enquires.

When the boy realises his father is in the room, he points in front of him and moans, "They're my toys! She's taking all my toys!"

Geonhak follows his little finger and sees Minbyeol on the carpet, some plastic dinosaurs in her hands. The blonde sighs and gets near his son, petting his hair. "Hey, that's okay. She can play with your toys, too."

"No!" he shrieks, clearly distressed. "Not the dinosaurs!"

Geonhak walks around the sofa to sit next to him. He takes his son's face between his hands. "Look at me, Sunnie." His boy lifts up his gaze. "It's not nice to keep everything to oneself. You have to share."

"I don't want to. Those were presents from daddy."

"So what?"

"They were for me. I don't want her to have them."

Sometimes, Geonhak can see Dongju so much in Sunyul that it scares him. Though they do not share one drop of blood, they are just the same. "I get it, you like those toys. But Byeol-ah likes them too. We want to be nice with her, don't we?"

"I guess."

He drops Sunyul's face and turns to look at the girl, who seems undisturbed. "All good here?" he asks. Minbyeol shrugs; she never really pays attention to Sunyul's repeated tantrums.

Geonhak finally says enthusiastically, "I think we'll have to take things to the next level. Who wants to bake a rainbow cake?" The two children shot their heads up and begin screeching happily, jumping up and down around him. "Wow, wow," he smiles fondly, "I'm not baking with anyone who's upset. I want to see big smiles and hear apologies."

Sunyul stays quiet for a minute and eventually turns to his classmate. "Sorry, Byeol-ah. You can have my blue brachiosaurus next time."

Geonhak glances at him expectantly. "What about the others?"

"Please, appa, not the red T-Rex..."

"Even the red T-Rex. Come on."

Sunyul sighs and mumbles, "You can have any of my toys next time."

Minbyeol seems content and accepts his apology. Geonhak ruffles his boy's hair and picks him up in his arms. He guides the two children towards the kitchen and starts to get ingredients out of the cupboards, constantly checking his phone for recipes.

He had no idea play dates would be so difficult. He just imagined the kids would play quietly while he worked on some project, hopefully making significant progress. But they require his constant mediation; especially because Sunyul seems to be reluctant to accept anything and anyone new in his life.

He thinks that is because Dongju and he never really accustomed him to having a wide circle of acquaintances. Sunyul has scarce seen Geonhak's father, and there was no question of him meeting Dongju's parents — Dongju himself barely talks to them now anyway.

Apart from Dongju's twin brother, and Youngjo, the boy has been little exposed to adults and children. Especially children, in fact.

Geonhak watches as Minbyeol stirs the mixed ingredients in a large bowl. Next to her, Sunyul is carefully choosing the right hues for the food colouring — Geonhak has bought all colours, because he knows Sunyul would throw a scandal if the precise colour he wants misses.

"It'll be pale pink, scarlet, bordeaux and magenta," he resolves.

Geonhak is confused because he does not know half those colours' name, but he chuckles when he hears Minbyeol say with a deadpan expression, "Was that a magic formula or actual colour names?"

They wait for the cake to be baked before slicing it up and adding coloured cream in-between the different pieces. Geonhak watches out for Minbyeol's clothes as he does not want to give her back to Seoho completely covered in cake dough.

"Appa!" he hears Sunyul squeak. "Cake emergency."

The blonde notices that his son has a smudge of cream on his elbow, and smiles before getting it off with a cloth. Sunyul then goes on spreading cream on the cake slices, while Minbyeol stirs the last bowl of cream.

Once the cake is ready, the two children hop up and down, eager to taste it. "Sunnie, will you give the golden rule?"

"But appa, please! Can't we eat right now? It looks so delicious!"

"I don't want to hear it."

The black-haired child sighs and turns to Minyeol, "Tidy up and then enjoy. We've got to put everything in the dish-washer and clean the table."

The girl seems perplexed but nods. Geonhak helps them clear everything, watches as they wash their hands and go sit patiently at the living-room table. He eventually brings them the cake and starts slicing it.

"Appa, wait! Can I send a picture to daddy?"

Minbyeol joins him, "Can I also take a picture for my dad?"

Geonhak smiles and lets each of them have a turn with his phone, then serves them a piece of cake. They eat ravenously, chatting together about school matters. Meanwhile, Geonhak is panicking over what to text Seoho. He has long sent Dongju the cake picture, with a short message that reads "I miss you — Sunnie". But texting Seoho is different.

He has obtained his number a few days ago only, just to coordinate their play dates and send him his address. But texting him casually is something else. Should he say, "Sending rainbows into your life"? Doesn't it sound too gay? Geonhak does not want to make him uncomfortable. Perhaps, "Minbyeol sends love and cake!"? He is not sure he wants to make an attempt at humour so soon — Seoho does not need to know for now that Geonhak has a terrible sense of humour.

He finally simply sends the picture with a short caption — "We made rainbow cake today" — and locks his phone, putting it away. The two kids have finished their plate and are ready to go back to play, after being reminded to put their dirty plates in the dish-washer.

Sunyul lends his new friend a few of his toys and they manage to play without bickering much. Geonhak returns to his computer, trying to get the file done.

His phone eventually bips with Seoho's answer — "You're adding colour to my day! Btw, I'm on my way." Well, perhaps Geonhak could have attempted a pun after all.

He smiles and waits for Seoho to get there, checking regularly on the children, and doing some of the dishes. The doorbell finally rings, and Geonhak says on the intercom, "Fourth floor, door on your left! The password is: Unicornosaurus."

When Geonhak opens the door, he finds Seoho with a bottle of apple juice in his left hand, and his head tilted on the side. "Unicornosaurus — really, Geonhak-ssi?"

The blonde giggles childishly, most proud of his joke, and lets him in. He hears Minbyeol's quick footsteps and she throws herself into her father's arms. "Dad!" she exclaims, thrilled.

"Hi, sweetie. Did you have fun with Sunyul-ah?"

"Yeah, I got to play with his dinosaurs. And Geonhak-ssi helped us bake a rainbow cake! Did you get my picture?"

"Yes, it's beautiful. Do I get to taste it?"

"Tidy up and then enjoy!" Minbyeol answers with a small laughter. "I learnt a new rule today."

Seoho throws a questioning look at Geonhak, who scratches the back of his head out of embarrassment. "Don't pay attention. Please take a sit." The blonde gesture at the living-room table. "I'll get plates and glasses for the juice."

He serves a slice for Seoho and one for himself, and four glasses of juice. The children empty theirs in a sip and quickly go back to play as much as they can before Minbyeol has to leave.

"That sure is a nice cake," Seoho comments while eating. "Thanks again for the play date. I figured I really needed some time alone."

"Sure. Did you rest well?"

"It was heaven, you can't even imagine." Seoho offers him a big smile, and Geonhak can see how happy he is right now. The blonde is glad he is part of the reason for this happiness. "Did everything go alright with the kids?"

"Yeah, great! Well, Sunyul still has some issues with sharing but nothing unusual. Your girl is adorable, and so bright."

Seoho nods as he drinks up his glass. He silently glances around Geonhak's living-room. "You've got a nice home."

"It's pretty simple. Sunyul's father's apartment is much more ornamented — you'd think he lives in a museum." He abruptly stops talking and mentally curses himself. "Sorry, I won't mention my ex again."

Seoho smiles. "It's alright. Sometimes, it helps." Geonhak frowns slightly but does not reply. "Hum," Seoho continues in a lower voice, "Minbyeol's mother... Well, she passed away two years ago. It helps to talk about her, sometimes."

"I'm... Seoho-ssi, I'm sorry," Geonhak stutters, unsure how to react.

"It's fine! I wanted you to know. For Minbyeol."

"Is she okay? Are you okay?" Geonhak blurts out.

"Yeah, don't worry. It's been quite some time now." Seoho finishes the last bit of his cake. "It still hurts. But we're taking things slowly, one day at a time."

"If I can do anything..." Geonhak's voice trails off.

"You're already doing a lot. Thanks. And I'll return the favour."

Geonhak smiles and tells him he does not have to. Seoho insists and Geonhak submits — he feels he might submit to just about anything with him. Dangerous.

They go on chatting, mainly about their children or the school, and Seoho finally checks the time before stating they must go before their bus line's last service. Geonhak cuts a few slices of cake and gives a box to Seoho to bring home.

"Byeol-ah, we're going!" Seoho calls from the door, which Geonhak is holding.

"Please! Not yet!" the two children shout in unison and their fathers laugh heartily.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.8K 1.6K 29
πΏπ‘’π‘’π‘‘π‘œ π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘ π‘‹π‘–π‘œπ‘› π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’ π‘‘π‘€π‘œ π‘™π‘œπ‘£π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘ . 𝐴𝑠 π‘–π‘‘π‘œπ‘™π‘  π‘‘β„Žπ‘’π‘–π‘Ÿ π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘™π‘Žπ‘‘π‘–π‘œπ‘›π‘ β„Žπ‘–π‘ 𝑛𝑒𝑒𝑑𝑠 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑏𝑒 β„Žπ‘–π‘‘π‘‘π‘’π‘› π‘“π‘Ÿπ‘œπ‘š 𝑑...
6.2K 372 26
He is her bodyguard, aloof and unbothered. She is a spoiled Vice CEO, who hates her family and her Father's company. Deep down she's alone and want...
13.8K 608 23
Two different worlds with two different kingdoms that were separated by two borders that formed each different areas. ꜱᴜɴ α΄‹Ιͺɴɒᴅᴏᴍ ᴍᴏᴏɴ α΄‹Ιͺɴɒᴅᴏᴍ What w...
29.1K 2.5K 50
"stand by me?" "always." where dongju randomly texts geonhak and annoys him cause he didn't have anything else to do