Behind closed doors

By Spidersoning

Peter's life isn't great, his home life is terrible, and his school days seem to be getting worse. So when h... More

INFO- PLEASE READ
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue
SEQUEL COMING SOON

Chapter 17

2.9K 90 88
By Spidersoning

A/N- Someone shout at me to update I beg. Like full on PM spam me on the weekend to update cause I forget all the time with work now. Please guys, help me lmao. 

*Location- Stark Tower*

-Third Person P.O.V-

A week had now passed, and Peter was making his way towards the tower. He had been there a few more times, but it was never for long, and although Peter would help Mr Stark in the lab, he would never stay there for too long.

Tony had explained to Peter that he had told the others that he was Spider-Man, and although it worried Peter a lot, he tried to hide it and not let it bother him too much. He was yet to actually see them again as he was always there when the other were all busy. Although he was a little more comfortable with Mr Stark, he was still too scared to do much with the man. His thoughts continued to remind him that it could all be a trick and that it could actually be a whole plan just to break him even more than May had.

Mr Stark had said that today he would probably see the others again as they had wanted to see him and talk to him some more. Peter wasn't too sure if he wated to actually see them and talk to them, sure, last time he had seen them, they had been really kind and they had spoken a lot. But Peter couldn't stop the thoughts from telling him it was all fake and that as soon as he opened up to them even a little it would back fire in his face and they would use it all against them.

Peter blinked and realised he was in the lift, and it was rising slowly.

"Hi Miss FRIDAY," Peter spoke, his voice not as loud as it normally was.

'Hello Peter, how are you today?' FRIDAY asked.

Peter didn't reply for a moment. He thought about how his day had been and couldn't stop the shiver that ran up his spine. Flash had beaten the shit out of him today, and he was now sporting a heavy bruise on his cheek and a broken nose. Before any of that, May had also added to the bruises and broken bones of his stomach and chest.

Peter cleared his throat before replying, "um, I'm- ugh, I'm okay thank you Miss Friday. How are you?"

'I am well thank you Peter. It appears you have sustained some injuries, would you like me to tell boss,' FRIDAY responded, making Peters face pale.

Gulping down his fear, Peter was quick to shake his head- having to bite down on a wince of pain that shot through his system- "no, no it's okay, I'm all good. Nothing- nothing to worry about," Peter rushed out, hoping FRIDAY would listen.

'As you wish Peter, but do know Mr Stark and the others are all happy to help if you are hurt,' FRIDAY responded, sounding as though she wasn't too sure about letting Peter not tell anyone.

Peter didn't have the time to thank her before the doors were sliding open, he did whisper a small thank you to her before he made his way out of the lift. He spotted Mr Stark in the lab and slowly made his way over there.

Once close enough, Mr Stark seemed to realise he was there and he turned around in his seat.

"Ah hello Pete, how was- is that from patrol?" Tony asked, standing up from his seat and putting his things down.

Peter couldn't stop the full body flinch that followed when Tony stood up, and internally cursed himself for doing that as Mr Stark gave him a worried look. However, before Peter let Tony say anything he was quick to reply with, "I'm okay Mr Stark. Sorry, it was- it was on patrol, someone got- someone got a lucky shot."

Jesus why did Peter have to keep stuttering when he was here. He always go so nervous, and because of May, he was made to think that if he were to say anything that the person he is talking to doesn't believe, or like, he'll get hit for it.

Tony didn't look all that convinced, after all, he normally got Karen to tell him when Peter was hurt. But then again, it didn't seem like it was anything too serious, so she might not have thought to do so. Seeing Peter flinch also set Tony a little on edge, he didn't like the thought of ever hitting a kid, and definitely not Peter, Peter had quickly become one of the only kids Tony likes having about if he was being serious.

"Okay, but if anything serious ever happens on patrol, I want you to come right here," Tony explained, trying not to sound too parental as he didn't want to make Peter uncomfortable.

Peter breathed a silent breath of relief and agreed, although as much as he didn't want to admit it, he knew he wouldn't be able to do that. Not when May was still hurting him so much and Mr Stark would definitely wonder why he was so beat up when he hadn't been patrolling.

"Anyway, I know normally you only come here just so I can check up or for you to make some more webs. But Pepper, Happy and Rhodey wanted to know if you wanted to go downstairs and talk to them for a little, they said they want to get to know you some more. Of course, it's your choice as I don't want it to eat into your patrol time if you don't want it to," Tony supported, still staying stood up and looking at Peter.

As much as Peter kind of wanted to say no, he decided he could go and talk to them all for a little. Last time he had spoken to them, it had been nice talking to them, so he wouldn't mind doing it again. And he could leave in like an hour or two to patrol so he can go spend time with Bucky as well.

"Okay, would it be okay if I left in like two hours to patrol?" Peter asked quietly, worried he might annoy Mr Stark or offend him in some way.

Tony beamed and nodded, while moving towards the lift. "That's all good Pete, I'll let them know," Mr Stark replied.

Peter followed quietly behind Mr Stark, thinking over everything that could be said, or asked with being around them.

"Don't worry Kid, I won't let them interrogate you too much," Tony supplied, making Peter smile a little in relief.

"Thank you Mr Stark," Peter whispered, now standing in the lift with Mr Stark.

-

Two hours later, Peter was making his way out the tower and feeling marginally better than when he had gone in. Talking to Miss Potts had been very nice, as she showed a lot of care for Peter and was happy to talk to him- once more, Peter would be lying if he said he wasn't scared that it was all a rouse to get him content only to rip it away from him.

Talking to Mr Happy was odd. While the man sometimes seemed a little annoyed by him, he also seemed to want to talk a lot and listen to what Peter said. It confused Peter a lot, but he seemed like a good person. (Then again, he had seen May as a good person.)

And talking to Mr Rhodey was nice as well, the man was very kind to Peter and even though it was obvious he had been through a lot- what with him being unable to move his legs- he acted as though it was nothing.

They had asked about the bruise, but Peter said it was from patrol and nothing to worry about. Mr Stark had stayed by his side the whole time, helping Peter out if it seemed as though he didn't want to talk about something. All around, it was a good conversation. And although Peter was beginning to feel a little more comfortable around them, he didn't want to use their names yet in worry that it might seem offensive.

Miss Potts had also made Peter and Mr Stark promise that next time Peter was there, he would go say hi to them quickly as they liked having Peter there. Peter, after that was rather shocked, but looking at Mr Stark, it seemed as though he had been expecting it.

"Time for patrol," Peter whispered as he slipped the suit on in an alley, hoping to get a good few hours in before going to see Bucky. He knew he would be a little late, so he would probably stop by and let Bucky know when he had a moment.

-

Another week passed and Peter was making his way to the hideout to see Bucky. He had now seen him everyday and he would be lying to himself if he said he didn't like going there. With Bucky he felt safe, as though he could be himself without having to hide anything.

Well, nearly everything.

Peter had begun to notice Bucky was taking a lot more interest in where Peter got the cuts and bruises from on his face. He hated having to lie, to pretend and say it was from bullies or patrol, but Peter couldn't, he couldn't let Bucky know.

He can't lose Bucky as well.

Peter sighed as he continued to walk along the road, today had been an okay day, he was lucky enough to not see May this morning, but he knew he would probably pay for that tomorrow morning. Although, some days now May doesn't work, so instead, when Peter gets home at night, he gets jumped by her.

Flash had only hit him a couple times that day, and he had been able to get Delmar's before school, meaning although he was still hungry now, he wasn't starving.

Today was a Thursday as well, which meant he didn't have his internship today, and could patrol a little later.

Finally the hideout came into view and Peter couldn't stop the smile that slipped onto his face. A feeling of warmth blossomed in his stomach, making his smile grow even wider.

He got to the door and saw it was already open, meaning Bucky was there- not that Peter was all that shocked. This seemed to be the main place he stayed at and knowing Bucky had allowed him to stay here as well made him feel...wanted.

It was a word Peter didn't know much of, or believe much in anymore. The only time he had ever felt wanted was with his Uncle. But then he had got him killed and lost him. And after that, it felt as though he wasn't wanted anymore, May sure as Hell made it clear that he wasn't wanted. He had Ned, but Peter couldn't spend all his time with Ned, he had his own life and own problems to deal with, he couldn't have Peter there all the time causing issues.

But over time, with Bucky, Peter began to feel wanted again. Even if it's just by one person it's enough.

Pushing the door open, he called out, "hi Bucky."

Bucky looked up from his new book, smiling fondly as he saw Peter walk in. Bucky wasn't all that shocked to see a light bruise settled under Peters eye, although he was happy it didn't seem too bad. He would probably ask about that later.

"Hey Pete, how was school today?" Bucky asked, settling the book down after folding the corner of the page so he could go back to it.

Peter jumped on the sofa, and nestled himself into the corner. He then grabbed the blanket he always had and pulled it tightly around himself, feeling comfort, safety and warmth flood his system.

"It was okay. The teachers gave us a little homework, but it didn't look too hard. And I learnt some new stuff in history which was cool. And Ned showed me a new Lego set he got and said we could build it when we both have time. And Bucky, it was so cool," Peter rambled, not stumbling over his words once as he knew Bucky wouldn't get angry at him for it.

The whole time Peter was talking, Bucky was unable to hold the smile off his face. Part of him still didn't like all this, didn't like that he had someone he cared about so much- yes he had Steve, but he knows Steve can look after himself. Even though Bucky knew he would never hurt Peter, he couldn't stop the worry that maybe, just maybe he might, and he would never be able to forgive himself if he did.

And sometimes, Bucky thought Peter might be better off without him. Why would a kid even want to be friends with The Winter Solider.

But as Bucky continued to watch Peter ramble on, he began to really know why he didn't mind it. Seeing Peter so calm and content, so...at home, made Bucky feel normal. Like the whole HYDRA thing had never happened, and he was with his family, enjoying life and finally being at peace with himself. He could see it not only for himself, but also Peter, he could tell the kid felt at home here, and it was obvious to Bucky that it was hard for him to deal with people a lot of times, and being able to truly be comfortable, and for him to be comfortable around Bucky, meant a lot to him.

So, Bucky listen on as Peter spoke about his day. The good and the bad. From his teachers being a little mean, to Ned telling a joke, Bucky listened and took it all in. Peter then went on to tell him about patrol the night before, and how he had helped an old lady cross the street, to then stopping an armed robbery.

Bucky never heard anything about his Aunt, but he never pushed Peter to speak about her. Something was off with her, but Bucky just couldn't put a name on it. Part of Bucky thought it might be because of the loss of his Uncle that Peter didn't want to talk about her, but Peter would always talk about his Uncle, how good of a man he was and the things the pair had done when Peter was growing up.

It was nice. Hearing the love and affection in Peters voice as he spoke about his uncle. And Bucky couldn't help but be grateful Peter had him in his life, he had someone he could fall back on and lean on for support, and knowing Peter had that, means a lot to Bucky.

He knows Peter doesn't have that anymore, but he hoped he could be that now for Peter. The person he could lean on when needed and come to when he needed help.

"Bucky?" Peter questioned, seeing as Bucky seemed as though he was zoned out a little.

Peter didn't mind of course, he was used to people not really listening to him. But he appreciated the gesture of at least- mostly- appearing as though he was listening.

"Sorry Pete, carry on I was listening. You were talking about how your Uncle had once taken you to the ducks, and it had gone wrong," Bucky supplied, smiling sadly at the shocked face Peter pulled, knowing he thought Bucky wasn't listening.

A smile fell on Peters lips and he continued the story. More grateful than ever knowing he had Bucky in his life, who was willing to listen and be there for him.

Bucky was his brother, and nothing would be able to change that now.

-

Peter sighed as he made his way home. Another week had passed and it was now Tuesday, the days had been agonisingly slow and Peter would by lying to himself if he said it wasn't getting harder with everyday that passed.

It was May.

Every time she laid a hand on Peter, it seemed to be getting longer and more brutal. He was struggling to keep it a secret and play it off as though it was nothing.

But he was now constantly in pain, even with being able to eat something in the morning- if he was lucky- and getting Delmar's, also being able to eat with Bucky every night and sometimes with Mr Stark if he was around long enough, it still wasn't enough to heal him. At least not before he had the shit beaten out of him once more.

He had just finished being with Bucky after patrolling and he knew he had to go home now. May had been there this morning, hitting him longer and harder than he had felt for a while. It was obvious she was angry, and what she had growled to him before he left made him feel even worse.

'I'm not working tonight, you better be home or else your punishment will be a whole Hell of a lot worse.'

A shiver ran down his spine even now, and all Peter wanted to do was run back to Bucky and stay with him. However, he knew that wasn't possible, and he needed to deal with this other wise it would be a whole lot worse by tomorrow.

Some days Peter just wanted to scream at the people around him and tell them just how he feels. Tell them what's actually going on, and that he doesn't think he can keep lying anymore. But he stops himself every time, knowing the outcome will be terrible.

Mays voice still rings through his mind from the day she told him not to tell anyone.

'Tell anyone Peter, and I will kill you.'

Even in his mind, the words were venomous and full of hatred. Sometimes it felt as though May was in front of him telling it to him, reminding him of his place, and that no matter what he did, she would always win.

Peter hated it so much. And yet, there was nothing he could do to stop it. He was powerless to May. He could take on criminals with guns and knives, stop a car with his own bare hands (that shocked him to no end when he did that), and yet, he can't stop a woman in her 50's from hitting him.

To Peter, it was pathetic.

His feet dragged behind him as he neared the apartment, trying to ready himself for the pain he was undoubtedly about to be put through. Really, he should be used to the pain, but he could never seem to get a grasp on it, although, then again, he was starting to think it was more to do with the fact it was his own so called Aunt who was inflicting the pain and not some random criminal that meant he couldn't deal with the pain.

The apartment block came into view and Peter had to swallow his fear and blink back the unwelcome tears that were threatening to fall. He wouldn't be angry if he never had to see this complex ever again, all it did was bring him pain and fear. At least now.

Without Ben, his 'home,' had turned into a concrete building so cold even the coldest creatures could live there and find it too cold to bare. His so called 'home' had turned spiteful and something that filled him with fear.

This wasn't his home anymore.

The apartment door came into view and Peter knew his fate was sealed. He could hear May in there and knew there was no way he could escape this.

Every step Peter took, he could hear is echo in his mind, echo the cries and pain that was sure to happen within the next ten minutes.

"You can do this Peter, it'll be okay. You're- you're Spider-Man," Peter mutters to himself, hoping maybe by saying it, it would become the truth.

Finally, Peter pushed the door open, knowing there was no turning back now. His senses were screaming at him to turn back and that if he were to step through the door, he would be entering a dangerous place. But he knew he didn't have a choice, he had to go in there and face May.

He stepped through the door then and excepted his fate fully.

"Finally, you're home. Cutting it a little close don't you think," May growls, already beside him as soon as he shuts the door.

"I- I'm sorry. I was just- I was just a little busy," Peter whispers, regretting his choice of words as soon as he said it when he saw May's face twist venomously.

A low chuckle fell from her lips as she looked at Peter, "you. Busy. Let me tell you this, Peter. You don't know what busy is."

Peters hands were shaking as he pulled the sleeves down over his hands, knowing soon he would be laying on the floor. "I'm- I'm sorry," Peter stuttered, knowing May wouldn't take it as an apology, or well, anything really.

"Not good enough," May replies maliciously.

And that was when the hail of hits began. Punches and kicks rained down on all parts of his body; he could feel the blood falling down his face, as his lip split and his nose broke. Before he even knew it, he was on the hard floor, his body curling into himself with no hope of stopping the hits as they broke through, pain splintering across his ribs as he felt them crack under the pressure.

God, explaining all these bruises will be hard.

Silent tears make their way down his face as he continues to take the hits, hoping soon it'll be over and he can just sleep. Peter was tired of fighting against this, and tired of not having any freedom. He just couldn't take it for much longer.

-

Another two weeks pass and Peter was right when he thought it would get harder to lie about where the bruises and cuts would come from. Over the past two weeks, May had been hurting him more, it appeared she was working a little less, meaning whenever Peter was 'home,' and didn't think May would be there. She would, and she would hit him harder than ever.

After the beating two weeks ago, Peter had gone to see Mr Stark the next day, and he had asked a lot of questions, seeing as he was pretty sure Peter hadn't been patrolling that day. And Peter knew he couldn't lie about it, so instead, he had to say they were bullies. Even though, Flash had shockingly let Peter off the hook that day, having looked at his face and thought he could have a day off. (Wow, so kind of Flash.)

Even though Peter had healed slightly from the nights sleep and the whole day, going to see Bucky had also allowed him to see how hurt Peter was. Bucky had demanded he know where Peter got them from and to let Bucky try and help his ribs.

It had been horrible to lie to Bucky, a whole lot worse than it had been than lying to Mr Stark as he wasn't as close to Mr Stark as he was to Bucky. Of course, as the weeks had gone past, Peter had begun to feel more comfortable around Mr Stark, Miss Pepper, Mr Happy and Mr Rhodey, but he still wasn't confident enough to call them by their names without the fear of being hurt by it. But he knew soon he might be able to.

He had spoke a lot more to them all and spent more time at the tower, and Peter was really starting to feel more comfortable. On one hand, it was scary, he was so used to having no one, then to having Bucky. And he had only just started to properly accept that he liked being around Bucky and felt safe with him.

So, adding Mr Stark and everyone else to that group- maybe- was a terrifying concept. The fear that it was all a trick, a way of making Peter feel safe before ripping it away from him and tearing him apart from the inside out.

But, maybe- just maybe. He was willing to accept it all. That is, of course, if he's actually wanted there.

Peter just really hoped he would be questioned too much about all the bruises and cuts, having to lie to the people he was beginning to care about- in Buckys case, he already cared- and with the others he was definitely on the way to caring. So having to lie, was making him feel worse than ever.

Shaking his head he looked out across the darkening skyline, his suit on and mask pulled over his face.

"K. What have you got for me?" Peter asked, standing onto his feet and stretching out his arms.

Hopefully this will be a good patrol, God knows he needs something good in his life right now.

-

Another two weeks pass and Peter is making his way along the halls of school.

May was well, still as bad as ever, but there was nothing Peter could do about it though, so all he could do was wear a fake smile and hide behind his lies.

He had started to spend even more time with Bucky and Mr Stark, trying desperately to avoid May, with no avail proven from the bruises on Peters face.

Spider-Man had also becoming lot more prominent in his life. Not only his, but others as well. Spider-Man was becoming a house hold name, and while Peter worried someone might find out who he was, it was nice knowing people knew there was someone there to look out for the little guy and help with smaller crimes. Peter wanted to help people the way he couldn't be helped with his own issues. There was no one to save him, but if he could save others, that would be okay.

"Dude, oh my God," Ned practically screamed, making Peter look up and realise he was at his locker.

Peter looked at him with wide eyes, silently wondering what it was Ned was so excited about. "What's up Ned?" Peter questioned.

"Spider-Man is getting so much more popular. I thought he was cool at the start, but some of the things he has done is crazy. He must be so strong to be able to do some of the things he does," Ned gushes, a smile pulling on his lips.

Peter can feel the panic slightly as he thinks about Ned maybe knowing. It's not that he doesn't want his best friend to know, it's that he doesn't know if someone may come after him, know that Ned knows and go after him. Peter knows he's probably over thinking, but there was no way- at least right now that he would say anything.

"I've heard of him, he seems cool I guess," Peter replied, hoping he didn't sound too odd about talking about it.

Ned stared at him in shock, "you guess. Peter, Spider-Man is the coolest. Not only could he probably fight with the Avengers, but he also helps people with smaller crimes. I honestly think he could go up against Captain America in strength."

Peter was shocked that that's what people thought about him. Well, Spider-Man, but it was still so cool.

"That's true, although I'm not too sure about that Captain America fact," Peter spoke, making Ned shrug.

"Who knows, either way I would definitely have Spider-Man in my top 3 superheroes, maybe even at the top," Ned replied quickly.

All Peter could do was blink in shock, surprised that someone would think so highly as him- Spider-Man.

-

-

-

A/N- :) See you next week...I hope...Sorry about the long waits lmao. Like I said, shout at me please.

4.6K words

- Bear xx 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

186K 5.8K 31
After Peter had been bitten by a spider and the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter became Spider-man. Living with his Aunt May, going to high school as a...
395K 17.6K 96
Tony Stark had lost his son when he was only 2 years old, stolen away in broad daylight. Years later, his path crosses with that of a particular vigi...
584K 19K 36
Peter never grew up with Uncle Ben and Aunt May. He grew up with HYDRA, trained and brainwashed to be even better then the Winter Soldier. He spends...
161K 5.6K 55
"A gift." One guard says to someone else in the room as he leaves. I groan in pain and scrunch myself into a ball, squeezing my eyes shut. Seconds l...