Moira (Genshin Impact Various...

By Foxfire-chan

(Y/n) is a traveller who's encountered every region of Teyvat and almost all they have to offer. A woman poss... More

Author's Note (Before You Read)
Inspiration and Special Thanks
Reader Insert Vocabulary
Love Interests
『 Chapter ☆ 1: A Fateful Encounter 』
『 Chapter ☆ 2: And So Two Becomes Three 』
『 Chapter ☆ 3: The Journey Begins 』
『 Chapter ☆ 4: Shopping In Mondstadt 』
Important Author's Note!
『 Chapter ☆ 5: Rendezvous With The Knights 』
『 Chapter ☆ 6: The Temple of The Wolf 』
Authors Note (1k special explanation)
『 Chapter ☆ 7: Temples And Toasts 』
『 Chapter ☆ 8: Morning With The Ladies 』
『 Chapter ☆ 9: Afternoon And Evening With The Men 』
『 Chapter ☆ 10: Humble Beginnings Of A Hero 』
『 Chapter ☆ 11: A Mischievous Bard And The Holy Lyre 』
『 Chapter ☆ 13: Into The Lion's Den 』
Author's Note - Cover Change + Recent Update Delays
『 Chapter ☆ 14: Eulogy Of A Dragon's Sorrow 』

『 Chapter ☆ 12: A Letter From Snezhnaya 』

806 42 31
By Foxfire-chan

Font Key:

Bold = (With brackets is a small AN), to put emphasis on words in thoughts, also emphasis for anything extremely important (doesn't include minor emphasis (see italics) which is still important but not quite as important).

Italic = Flashbacks, words characters say to themselves in their heads uses " ", used to put emphasis on words in normal font. Can also be someone telling a story in not in the present if accompanied by these: 『 』

Standard = Present time, first person thoughts/observations that are not words a character speaks to them self in their head, with " " are words spoken out loud , words characters say to themselves in their heads durring flashbacks uses " ".

—— ~ ~ —— = The symbol for letters sent from Liyue

—— ~ ~ —— = The symbol for letters sent from Snezhnaya

~ ~ = Time skip (placed in the middle of the page)

~ ~ ~ = The break in the page to distinguish the difference between what is part of the story and what isn't.

** to find the music for the story swipe left on the picture at the top!**

(⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ there is a section in this chapter that you may consider a little bit more graphic than slicing and dicing up hilichurls so please read at your own discretion.)

~ ~ ~

(Y/n)'s POV

   My mind is so consumed with the words of the fatui soldier that I barely register that the guards we spent all that time carefully avoiding have spotted us, believing that Aether, Paimon and I have stolen the Holy Lyre der Himmel. The fact that the cicin mage took me by surprise highlights one of the major weaknesses of my situation. I'm left almost completely in the dark when it comes to my own fate.
   "Come on, we need to go!" The golden eyed male exclaims with urgency marring his voice as the two of us break out into a sprint. As soon as I'm moving, my body falls into a natural rhythm, going through the familiar motions while my mind remains distracted.
"So this is why I felt uneasy earlier." I think to myself before mentally thanking myself for wearing my cloak. The dark fabric does its job, obscuring my face from both my current adversaries and my allies as we flee the cathedral. Flinging the heavy wooden door open, My male companion tells a startled Venti to flee as the three of us continue to run, weaving through different back alleys in order to try to throw our pursuers off our trail. The bard is leading the way towards Angel's Share while I bring up the rear. It's imperative that in the event that someone gets caught, that person will be me. If needed I'll find a way to free myself. My companions on the other hand, I know will have varying degrees of success which is simply something I cannot risk.

   Thankfully, that fate never befalls any of us as we reach the tavern. The dark haired musician hastily opens the door as he ushers us into the building. A few of the denizens of the bar briefly look up to see who has arrived before going back to their business. Diluc, on the other hand, let's his gaze linger for much longer, ruby red eyes directing a silent question my way as they peer into my own (e/c) ones.
   "Hello, we'd like a seat at one of your more inconspicuous tables." The raven haired man requests as he tries to catch his breath. The red head sends him a funny look before answering.
   "Hmm.. your best shot would likely be the tables upstairs." The wine tycoon answers before throwing in a query of his own. "Aren't you a bard though? Wouldn't someone of your profession prefer to be the centre of attention?" The taller male asks.
   "Umm...how about we save the paid performance for another day. We'll be heading up now. See you in a bit." The turquoise eyed male replies as he, Aether and Paimon rush upstairs. I on the other hand remove my cloak as it disappears into its special sub space before taking a seat at one of the bar stools. I severely doubt that the knights chasing after us would be able to put two and two together. The sweat on my forehead from running can be explained away by the atmosphere of the tavern. To subvert any suspicion, I might as well play the part of someone passed out drunk as I call Diluc over to me.
   "One death afternoon please, half full." I request, a plan forming in my mind as I put the required mora on the counter before sliding it over. From the corner of my eye, I can see my three companions looking over the rails in concern, probably worried that I'll get caught. While I understand their concern, it's nothing I can't handle.
   "(Y/n)? What exactly is going on?" The red eyed man asks me as I put a finger over his lips to silence him.
   "Not now. I'm going to pretend to be passed out drunk. All I request is that you play along. After that, you are free to ask away. Do those terms sound reasonable to you?" I whisper as my (d/h) returns itself to my side. In response, Diluc slides over the drink I ordered, an unspoken affirmative from the wine tycoon, as I muss my (h/c) hair before slumping over unceremoniously on the counter, letting my (h/l), (h/c) locks and crossed arms obscure my face from view.

   My decision was made at the perfect timing as not a moment later, the door to the tavern is flung open as two knights enter the premises. The heavier footsteps lead me to believe that the knights are both male, one weighing more than the other as they walk further into Angel's Share.
   "Ahh, Pardon me Master Diluc, but have you seen three thieves around? One of them questions in an urgent manner.
  "What happened? Why have you mobilized so many guards?" The ruby eyed male asks calmly, but curiously. The man is so good, too good in order to become calm and collected a moment after being worried and confused. No doubt he has done something like this before on many an occasion, either that or he's become quite the skilled actor over his lifetime indeed.
  "Haven't you heard? Three people were trying to steal the Holy Lyre!" The second one exclaims, but making no moves to arrest me or any of the denizens of the tavern. I'm sure that when the two of them entered the establishment they saw my figure, but paid me no mind. Being drunk within the City of Wine and Song is so common place that I'm able to become invisible in plain sight.
   "Oh? That was unexpected." The redhead muses to himself, unperturbed regarding the situation at hand. His rather aloof sounding disbelief at their explanation is quite amusing allowing me to, even for a moment, forget about the events that took place a few minutes ago. This seems to go unnoticed by the guards as they continue on like one normally would.
   "Isn't it? To think that Lord Barbatos's precious lyre has gone missing is a travesty." He replies.
   "Why would someone try to steal something that couldn't be sold off? If they are trying to make mora, they would make a better profit stealing from my wine cellars." Diluc says as the familiar sound of a cloth on glass is heard as the speaker goes back to the first knight.
   "Huh?" The male responds, seemingly not following the wine tycoon's line of thought.
   "Nevermind. If thieves are what you're looking for, I believe they went that way." The red eyed male replies quickly as I imagine him pointing a black gloved finger in a direction away from the tavern.
   "Understood, thankyou for your cooperation Master Diluc." The first guard's companion answers as the sound of the men's footsteps receed before the distinct creak and thud of a door is heard signalling their departure.

   Even after the knights have left, I still wait ten seconds before sitting up, just in case they decide to return abruptly. When that doesn't happen, I raise my head from the wooden counter as I run my (s/t) fingers through my hair in order to return it to its regular form. Aether, Venti and Paimon also come down from the second floor to join Diluc and I as the bard hops up onto the barstool to my left, while my blond traveling companion takes the one to my right.
   "That was dangerous, (Y/n). Paimon was worried that you would get caught." The pixie mentions as her small arms give me a big hug.
   "To be honest, I was also unsure whether it would work but wow...you really seem to know Mondstadt inside and out. Are you sure you're not a local?" The blond says, his golden eyes meet my (e/c) ones as the dark blue eyed girl settles down on my lap.
   "No. I am a citizen of the Land of Contracts. I've simply had a lot of time at my disposal as well as the opportunity, brought on by the nature of my occupation, to learn these things." I reply as Venti nods his head in agreement before taking his turn to speak.
   "Are you going to drink that (Y/n)?" The turquoise eyed male asks me, his gaze fixated on my alcoholic beverage.
   "Not tonight." I reply, but the musician's eyes seem to be begging me to give it to him. There are still things I need to do today and having my mind impaired by wine certainly won't do. It wouldn't be going to waste at least. "Fine, just don't drink too much okay? " I answer with a sigh as the look on  the shorter male's face could fool one into believing that Ludi Harpastium came early.
   "Don't mind if I do then!" The raven haired man exclaims as he quickly grabs the glass before taking a big gulp. "Master Diluc's fine wine, such a treat! Regrettably I don't get to have this too often." Venti muses to himself as he takes another sip.
   "Master Diluc would like his questions answered now." The red haired bartender says, his tone clearly indicating his impatience as the atmosphere within the group shifts back to a serious one.

   "Of course, as agreed upon, your end of the deal shall now be carried out. Ask away and I will answer to the best of my ability." I reply as I, along with everyone else, await the ruby eyed male's first inquiry.
   "Your musician friend...I was apprehensive the first time he came into my bar. Is he of age to be drinking wine?" The wine tycoon asks. While this question was somewhat unexpected due to it not concerning the primary events which had just transpired, I did leave our impromptu contract very loose ended.
   "Wait a second, how does this have to do with the knights and their search?" Aether questions the taller man in confusion.
   "It doesn't, but his inquiry is still acceptable considering how vaguely I worded our agreement." I reply before continuing. "I would assume that Venti is old enough. With the sheer volume of alcohol he downed the other day and his extensive knowledge on the subject, could someone under aged know their flavours as well as he does?" I answer.
   "Hmm...fair enough. The logic does seem to sound reasonable." Diluc responds as the green clad bard jumps in.
   "That's right! I'll have you know that when I started drinking—" He says before I cut him off.
   "My apologies Venti, but we're getting off topic here. Given the current situation, we don't have room to tarry." I inform the raven haired man who, in reply, nods in understanding while sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

   From there, the redhead moves onto his next question as the bard orders another drink for himself.
   "From the way that you arrived, it seems evident that you four were these 'thieves' the Knights of Favonius were talking about." Diluc begins as all eyes in our group focus on him. "I must say, you do have guts to attempt to usurp the Holy Lyre der Himmel from under the Knight's noses. What I didn't expect was that you were involved, (Y/n). Care to explain?" He finishes. One of the things I have come to notice and deeply admire about the wine tycoon is that he's very straightforward and to the point. The male is one of the better people to have on your side in a crisis, not to mention the connections he has given his position. There's a saying that perfectly describes people like him. Trial by fire. Conflict reveals the best and the worst of human nature. For Diluc Ragnvindr, he's most certainly the former.
   "First of all, though we did attempt to steal the Holy Lyre, we did so in order to try to peacefully resolve the situation with Stormterror. Unfortunately as you can see, we were not successful. Before we could get to the instrument ourselves, the Fatui took it. I would assume they are keeping a close eye on it." I explain. The redhead on the other side of the counter doesn't make a move to speak, so I offer more proof to try to convince him to trust us. "What's more, Aether here was recently promoted to the role of Honourary Knight. Someone with his current track record would be unlikely to commit such a crime without the collective fate of the citizens of Mond in mind. Wouldn't you agree?" I finish as I gesture towards the golden eyed man. Diluc is no stranger to clandestine operations, working outside of the more politically bound knights as the 'Dark Knight Hero', much to his own chagrin. If we can't get him to believe that this story of mine is the truth, then perhaps we'll need Venti, who's number of wine glasses have been steadily increasing throughout the duration of this conversation, to do the convincing.
   "I believe you." The wine tycoon agrees, the lack of resistance on his part coming as quite the surprise. I had pegged him as the rather cautious type who's skepticism allows him to see past the facades of those with nefarious motives hidden behind fake smiles and silver tongues. Perhaps I was wrong?

   I'm broken out of my reverie as the male continues. "Considering what I know about you and Aether, I have no reason to believe your story to be false. I also understand that operating outside of a political sphere has its importance, especially with the Fatui's ever looming presence over this city. If I were in your shoes, I likely would have attempted something similar." The ruby eyed man explains as the atmosphere takes on a lighter mood. "Consider me persuaded. I promise to do all within my power to help you achieve your goals. How may I be of assistance?" Diluc asks. With his acceptance, I can't help but think back to the Knights. The wine tycoon has made it no secret that he dislikes them. At this point, it's very likely that they will be involved.
   "Are you sure? I know you and the Knights of Favonius don't see eye to eye. Truth be told, I doubt that they won't become involved." I say, laying out all the options even against my better judgment, one which urges me to simply take his answer at face value and think nothing more of it.
   "I'm absolutely positive. I often find myself entangled with the business of their organization anyway." The male begins as he notices my worried gaze. "If you are concerned, don't be. This is hardly the first time, nor will it be the last. You kept your promise to answer my questions and trusted me enough with this valuable information. I believe it's only fair that I offer my help in return." Diluc responds nonchalantly, but with a subtle hint of warmth to his voice towards the end. His trust only serves to remind me how important it is that I sort out my problems regarding that cicin mage, sooner rather than later. If the ruby eyed man were to find out about her and by extension, them...I'm sure that our growing friendship over these past few months will be over within a heartbeat. The voices inside my head let out a chuckle, reminding me that fate is never fair. No matter what lengths I go to, I'm simply along for the ride, for better and for worse.

   With the wine tycoon's recruitment having gone successfully, the turquoise eyed bard takes his turn to speak once more.
   "It seems the wind is changing in our favour. If you would be so kind as to do some digging to find the location of the lyre, that would be greatly appreciated Master Diluc." Venti says as the red eyed bartender nods his head in affirmation.
  "I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, I'm afraid that some of you will need to stay here until things begin to settle down. I would strongly advise you to do so, Venti." The taller man suggests to the musician who doesn't look in the least bit upset with his current predicament.
   "That's quite alright. I do love a good tavern." The bard exclaims with a laugh before taking a sip of what appears to be his twelfth glass. The look on the bartender's face is a strained one as he tries to ignore the thought of the sheer loss Venti will incur upon his business. After hearing what Kaeya said about Diluc's thoughts on the dark haired male, I'm surprised that he didn't make a move to tell him off. Aether and Paimon, on the other hand, who had been quietly listening during the majority of the conversation, decide that it's time for them to speak up once more.
   "Is it safe for me to go outside Master Diluc? I wasn't wearing a cloak like (Y/n) so the chances seem likely enough that I'll be laying low in the tavern until further notice." The blond says.
   "Agreed, Paimon wants to know as well." The fairy adds from her comfortable position on my lap.
   "Well, your position as a knight would normally clear you as a suspect, your floating companion Paimon is quite unique. I think that it would be best for the two of you to stay at Angel's Share as well for added safety." He answers before turning to look at me. "(Y/n) is the only one here who's description remains rather generic on the wanted poster. Considering that they never saw her appearance due to her cloak, a rather common article of clothing, colour of which being fairly standard among many individuals in Teyvat, it's safe to say that she will be free to roam around Mondsdat as she pleases."

   With everything sorted out and another ally added to our roster, I take this as my cue to leave.
   "I need to handle some business outside. I'll return once I'm finished." I inform everyone.
   "That sounds reasonable. Until then, I'll get someone to look after Angel's Share for the next half an hour. We'll meet back here at closing time." The redhead says. With that, the two of us leave the tavern, each of us heading in the opposite direction. It seems that I need to pay a certain dark haired receptionist at the Adventurer's guild a visit.

  ~

   The plaza in Mondstadt has become much quieter as the people return to their homes after a long day's work. The lack of nightlife this city has to offer took some time to get used to, but in this case it plays to my advantage. Carefully, I approach the reception desk as Katheryne looks up from her paperwork, blue eyes meeting my (e/c).
   " Ad Astra Abyssosque. Welcome back to the Adventurer's Guild, Miss (Y/n). You have already finished your commissions for today. Are you looking for more work to complete?" The raven haired female asks.
   "No, my reasons for coming here are more important than that." I reply as I pull out a small silver key with a snowflake who's pattern matches that if a cryo vision. Delicately, I hold it up in the last rays of sunlight for the woman to see.
   "I'm sorry, I don't follow what you mean." The receptionist responds. "Is this key lost per chance? If that is the case I can try to locate the owner for you. Please give me a moment." The female continues as she opens up another book before flipping through the many pages. I shouldn't be surprised that she doesn't recognize the tiny object. In practicality, it's likely for the better. My only option is to do this the hard way.
   "My apologies for what happens next. It may feel rather uncomfortable but I assure you, it will be over soon." I inform Katheryne.
   "Hmm? What do you mean I—" She begins before being cut off as within one swift movement, I stab the key into her back at the base of her exposed neck. In response, the female lets out a gasp, eyes blown wide as saucers before fluttering closed. If she was a regular person, the key would have been fatal. However, the receptionist of the Adventurer's Guild was never human to begin with, despite what her appearance and patterns of speech would lead you to believe. Carefully, I twist the key clockwise until I can't turn it any further as I leave it sticking out of her body. The place in which I inserted the item was not flesh, but a keyhole, marking her existence as that of an automaton. Despite that fact, I feel no less guilt at the sheer brutality of what I just did.

   A second later, the female's eyes begin to open as her personality seems to shift to a more grave and serious one.
   "I understand, forgive me for not recognizing you earlier. Please follow me." Katheryne says as she pulls out a key of her own from a pocket in her dress before ushering me inside. From there, she opens the wooden door behind me as the two of us enter the room beyond. The place is dimly lit and furnished in the Snezhnayan style. In the corner, I notice Xue perched on the windowsill as she turns her head, amber eyes staring at me with interest.
   "Your pet owl, Xue, arrived in Mondstadt yesterday evening. I was instructed by the Snezhnayan branch's Katheryne to house her here for the time being until you arrived." She informs me as I send a worried look at my feathered companion. "Do not fret, I was also informed on how to properly take care of her. Xue has been well fed and exercised." The woman explains, dispelling my fears concerning my dear friend. "When she appeared, she came with a letter in tow that I was specifically instructed to make sure that you read immediately." The blue eyed female finishes before handing me the letter in question. Despite her request, I'd rather have my own questions answered first, after all, the encounter should have never been possible in the first place. Part of me hopes this incident is just some joke from an individual that lacks any tact whatsoever.  
   "Katheryne, do you know anything about the fatui woman who stole the holy lyre?" I ask.
   "I'm sorry (Y/n), I'm afraid I don't. My database only manages those within the guild's systems as well as anyone who comes to me to post a commission or individuals who have a bounty placed on their heads." She begins before posing a question of her own. "Why are you asking me that here instead of under regular circumstances?" The dark haired woman asks. At this point, I feel that it's time to open the letter. Hopefully it will dispel any confusion I've had when it comes to the validity of the Fatui soldier's claims.
Delicately, I open up the envelope, removing the elegant wax seal of the Fatui before taking a look at the contents inside.

—— ~ ~ ——

   (Y/n), citizen of the Land of Contracts. I, Her Majesty, The Tsaritsa require you to report to Zapolyarny Palace with haste. This summons is mandatory considering the matter is of the utmost urgency. You have seven days from the moment you read this to return to Snezhnaya immediately, lest I be required to retrieve you by force.

Sincerely, The Tsaritsa

—— ~ ~ ——

   After reading the words over multiple times, I finally find the words to speak.
   "What is the meaning of this?!? So she sends both a messenger and an official letter. By the Archons, what was she thinking? Shouldn't she know what's at stake?" I question, my voice wrought with frustration towards the Snezhnayan Queen as my emotions run wild at the severity of the situation. In the end, it seems that this unknown woman was legitimate. How much more does the cicin mage know about me? For her sake, I pray that wherever this woman is, she is ignorant where it matters most. Collecting myself, I let out a heavy sigh as I purse my lips into a thin line. Deadlines, I'm intimately familiar with those. If I focus on that part, hopefully it will help me calm down. "Seven days to save a dragon, seven days to travel to the Land of Everwinter...you can do it (Y/n), you have to." I remind myself as I focus on breathing in and out slowly, my eyes narrowing in determination. I did make a promise to myself regarding this journey, despite whatever circumstances fate throws at me, I will see it through. Besides, now I have more motivation to visit than ever. After the recent events, a letter simply won't do. I need to ask the Cryo Archon herself in person.

   The receptionist moves towards a wooden desk before pulling out a fountain pen and a piece of high quality paper before handing both to me. Thanking the woman, I set to work in order to provide a speedy reply.

—— ~ ~ ——

   I will visit Zapolarny Palace as requested in due time, however, the situation in Mondstadt must be resolved first. No matter though, I shall see to it that I arrive on schedule.

Your ̸̗͂ ̷͙͕̈́ ̶̟͗̈ ̷͉͚̆ ̵̢̜̀ ̴͝ͅ  , (Y/n)

—— ~ ~ ——

   I wait a minute for the ink to finish drying as I peer back at the familiar Snezhnayan script. Regrettably, I seem to be a tad bit out of practice as my handwriting is not quite up to the standards I expect from myself. I suppose it goes to show how rarely I use it.
   "Maybe I should try to make an effort to do so in the future." I think to myself. Once it's finished, I fold the paper carefully and put it into the envelope before using my personal seal, an owl in flight, to close it. Next, I hold out my arm for my owl to perch on as she heeds my call, moving from the windowsill to me. Dexterously, I tie the letter carefully around her leg with a white ribbon before opening the window. "I'm sorry Xue, but I need you to deliver another letter for me. The destination is the sender of the previous one, please make sure she receives it as quickly as possible." I request of my long time companion. Sadly, it seems that the reunion between the owl and I will be short lived. In response, my feathered friend coos as she nibbles on my finger affectionately, telling me not to apologize, as this is largely out of my control. Patting her on the head, I can't help but smile. I really couldn't ask for a better companion. With a bob of her head, Xue lifts off from my arm, letter in tow, as she flies out the window into the world beyond. In my mind, I think of her journey, imagining her flying through the snow filled skies of Snezhnaya towards the Cryo Archon's abode.

   I'm broken out of my thoughts by Katheryne as the blue eyed female opens her mouth to speak.
   "Is there anything else you need from me?" The receptionist asks, patient as ever.
   "No, I think that will be all for now. Thankyou for helping me out." I reply, grateful for her assistance.
   "It is one of the duties I am expected to carry out. It was a function programmed into me by my creator so think nothing of it. The next time we meet, the regular Katheryne will have no recollection of what transpired here unless the key is inserted once more. Should you need to contact me again, follow the steps you did today." The raven haired lady informs me as I nod in reply. While that may be true, I don't feel any less gratitude towards the Snezhnayan automaton. With our conversation over, the two of us leave the hidden room and return to the regular reception area as the female lets me retrieve my key. As soon as I remove it, her eyes shut once more before fluttering back open.
   "Farewell, Adventurer, and thank you for supporting the Adventurer's Guild." She says brightly, leaving no indication that anything out of the ordinary happened a moment ago. Waving goodbye to the blue eyed woman, I pocket the small silver object before making my way back towards Angel's Share.

  ~

   Upon entering the tavern, the previous denizens have cleared out as only my companions and the owner himself remain. The biggest difference though is the addition of the Acting Grandmaster, Jean Gunnhildr.
   "Ahh, (Y/n), welcome back!" Venti exclaims, sending me a big wave. From behind him my blond companion is still seated at the same barstool as he opens his mouth to speak.
   "Did you finish what you wanted to get done?" The golden eyed male asks as Paimon looks on in curiosity.
   "Yes I did." I reply, short and simple. As much as I want to inform my travelling companions about what's been going on, I'm afraid this is one thing that they mustn't know. The amount of trouble it would cause is more than enough reason for me to stay silent on the matter. Maybe one day I will be able to confide in them about it, fate is rather unpredictable after all. Until then, this will be a secret I have to hide from them.

   I'm broken out of my thoughts by Jean as she voices a question of her own.
   "Huh? You too then, (Y/n)?" The blue eyed woman asks, seeming somewhat surprised by my involvement in this matter.
    "If you mean attempting to steal the Holy Lyre der Himmel, then yes." I answer the female before turning to look at Diluc. "What else did I miss?"
   "Not much. Jean and I arrived earlier and upon seeing Aether and Paimon here, she was rather insistent on receiving an explanation. When I told her to wait, she wouldn't listen so I apologize for that." The redhead begins as the taller woman sends me an apologetic look. "The four of us caught her up to speed but made sure that no new information would change hands before you arrived." He finishes. In truth, I'm not angry with the Acting Grandmaster. I can understand why she would be unwilling to wait and see what's going on when the wine tycoon would be showing her the people who attempted to steal an important piece of cultural heritage.
   "Don't worry, I'm not offended in the slightest." I say, in order to reassure Jean as the blond's shoulders fall in visible relief.

   "On another note though, I am curious. Are the knights officially involved now or is this staying off the official records?" I question, to which the blue eyed lady is more than happy to answer.
   "My involvement here falls under the latter. I came here not as the Acting Grandmaster, but Jean, a regular citizen of Mondstadt." She replies. While the Gunnhilder clan is far from the status of most people living in the City of Freedom, I understand what she means by it. "While I'm personally inclined to believe your story, I cannot make such a statement publicly without facing pushback from the Fatui. If the people of Mondstadt themselves can be convinced that this is the best course of action, especially considering that few know of Stormterror's true identity as one of the four winds, the knights would have no choice but to seek a less peaceful solution." The Acting Grandmaster explains.
   "And that right there is one of the reasons I dislike the knights. Prioritization of political standings over doing what's right? I simply can't agree with that." Diluc says. "To be honest, I'm surprised you would trust an outlander so easily." He muses to himself, shining on Jean as the tension in the room becomes so thick, you could cut it with a knife. It appears that the blond woman isn't one to back down from a fight as she takes her turn to speak.
   "My cautious and meticulous superior, you trust them too don't you? How is that any different?" She bites back, sarcasm lacing her otherwise polite words. From the looks of it, she appears to strike a nerve with the ruby eyed male.
   "Don't call me that..." He responds swiftly before letting his anger dissipate. "...nevermind, we don't get to work with each other often and this argument is pointless." The wine tycoon says, to the interest of Aether and Paimon.
   "Sir? Were you part of the Knights at some point, Diluc?" The white haired fairy asks, somehow blind to the tension in the room.
   "Paimon, not now." The golden eyed male scolds the small girl as the tavern owner clears his throat, indicating that this line of conversation is over. As much as I would rather not force the redhead to talk about something that likely has bad memories associated with it, I can't help but be curious. Perhaps it has to do with the reason why he took up his role as Mond's nocturnal vigilante.

   Venti, clearly seeing a worsening situation decides to step in.
   "Ahh, well look at the time. We should really be getting back on topic now." The bard exclaims rather loudly as all eyes turn to look at him.
   "Right, my apologies." Jean begins as she brushes invisible dust particles off of her gloved hands before continuing. "I think I have a rough idea of where the lyre is located as well as the reason for the Fatui to steal Lord Barbatos's legendary instrument." She begins, causing the rest of our group to perk up in interest. "The gods of cryo and anemo respectively have had issues with each other for quite some time. Because of this, the Fatui seem to be after our Archon's power. In order to take over control of Mondstadt they wish to put an end to Dvalin and use him for their own nefarious means. We don't know the extent of the powers of the Holy Lyre, but if Dvalin's relationship with the instrument is so intimately connected with Lord Barbatos himself, it's possible that the lyre would allow them to bend the dragon to their will." The blue eyed woman explains.
   "Uhmm." The turquoise eyed musician hums with uncertainty as he gets up from his barstool, glass of wine in hand, before standing beside me, his arm leaning on my shoulder. The rest of the group send the bard strange looks ranging from upset, warry, to confused, but I pay it no mind. "Continue on, don't mind little old me now." Venti exclaims with a playful wink. In response, the wine tycoon lets out a disgruntled cough while Aether's expression is neutral. I begin to find myself wondering if Venti always stirs up trouble like this wherever he goes, but thankfully, this doesn't last long as Diluc takes his turn to share.

   "As Jean was saying, the number of Fatui in Mondstadt has been increasing as of late. I took some time to coerce some information out of them. Their reports confirm that the Holy Lyre der Himmel isn't being kept in the Goth Grand Hotel, but somewhere else." The ruby eyed male informs us.
   "That would make sense. If they have been occupying the place for an extended period of time now. Naturally, if something goes missing, that would be the first place the knights would check." Aether says as Paimon and I nod in agreement.
   "Paimon gets it, the Fatui don't want to make a big scene because it would ruin diplomatic relations with Mondstadt." The dark blue eyed female pipes up as I take my turn to speak.
   "In the end, they weren't counting on our involvement or their plan could have been executed perfectly. Now that Jean is in the know, no doubt diplomatic ties will inevitably whither. I doubt even the smoothest diplomats among their ranks would be able to salvage relations between Snezhnaya and Mondstadt." I add.
   "More importantly, we must continue the facade of allies in blissful ignorance to catch them off guard and reclaim the lyre. As much as I would prefer to be rid of this alliance right now, announcing it publically would likely cause them to increase security or move it to somewhere else. We don't have that kind of time to waste. What's more, this evening I obtained the location of the nearest Fatui hideout. It's the next place we can check and it's fairly close too, just south of Springvale." The redhead says.

   "Springvale again?!? What's with that place?" The pixie complains mid flip.
   "Huh? What do you mean by that?" The wine tycoon asks the small blue eyed female curiously as Aether quickly jumps in to explain.
   "Oh, yesterday when we were helping Kaeya, he sent us on a scavenger hunt for a make-believe sword. One of those destinations on the way was Springvale." The blond male begins as the mere mention of the blue haired man causes Diluc's nose to scrunch up in distaste. "Even before that, (Y/n) and I had to retrieve a lost object from there." He says as I think back to the early days, before Aether and I set out on our adventure. A memory of the blond and I searching for my forgotten fishing rod. Thankfully, a kind resident of the sleepy town had found and returned it to me. I'm broken out of my reverie as Paimon speaks up once more.
"Ohh ohh! Paimon has an idea...what if the God of Fate is being a big meanie and decided to send us to Springvale over and over again just for their own enjoyment?" The white haired pixie suggests. Her words cause me to chuckle with amusement. The small girl certainly has a very active imagination. (Really though as I was writing this part, I realized how many times in the early game Mihoyo sent us to Springvale for just about every quest imaginable.)
   "Maybe, but I'd like to hope that most gods would be more professional than to be so petty." I reply as Venti chokes on his wine, coughing and spluttering violently as he tries to clear his airway.
   "Sorry. Did I say something strange?" I ask the bard, bright (e/c) eyes meeting turquoise as everyone sends the musician a concerned look.
   "Nope, nothing at all. The wine just went down the wrong pipe." The raven haired man informs me with a slightly strained smile as he wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve. "Anyway...I think we should get going. The Holy Lyre won't be freeing itself." He finishes before setting down his empty wine glass and running out of the tavern.
   "Hey. Venti, come back here! You haven't paid for all eighteen of your drinks." Diluc yells with annoyance as the wine tycoon chases after him. After a minute to realize what just occurred, the rest of us follow suit. Before I do so, I quickly slip a bag of mora on the table as my golden eyed companion hollers from the other side.
   "Come on (Y/n), we need to go before they leave us behind." The man exclaims as he sticks his head through the open door.
   "Alright. I'm ready, let's go." I answer, shutting the heavy wooden door to Angel's Share behind me.

~ ~ ~

( (Y/n)'s history Snezhnaya appears to be more complicated than we thought. What new theories or expansions of old theories have sprung up after reading this chapter? Let me know in the comments.)

Word Count: 6570

Song name: (no current song, if you have any ideas feel free to recommend one here)

Art: (none)

Please vote if you like the chapters and share this story with your friends!

~Foxfire-chan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.1K 347 6
Just a male reader insert story on Genshin, saw that there's not that many so decided to do one myself. Doing this for fun so come read along if you'...
428 33 17
"I wish you wouldn't be so suicidal. It's bad for Klee." Albedo said, dragging his pencil along the sketch. Albedo ignored Kaeya's scoff, continuing...
84.3K 4.3K 44
𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧 𝐌. 𝐃𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐬 x 𝐅. 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 (𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐲 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐔 w/ 𝐃.𝐈.𝐂.𝐊.𝐀.𝐀.𝐙.) After being burned at the stake u...
5.3K 136 10
A normal day in Tevyat as an experienced adventurer, you can choose which route to take. Each place you go to will alter who you meet along the way. ...