The Meaning of Roses (Alberu...

By ClaraLicht

You probably know that red roses symbolize love and passion, but you may not know that the color, number, and... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: One Red Rose (341-342)
Chapter 2: Orange Roses (361-362)
Chapter 3: Six Red Roses (393-397)
Chapter 4: Blue Roses (434-439)
Chapter 5: Purple Roses (466-467)
Chapter 6: Two Red Roses (474-475)
Chapter 7: Dark Pink Roses (484-488)
Chapter 8: Gold Roses tipped with Red (516 & 523-527)
Chapter 9: Three Yellow Roses (541-545)

Chapter 10: Through Their Eyes

4.4K 239 248
By ClaraLicht

People don't tell me what I need to hear.

I listen to the unsaid words,

observe quietly,

read the unspoken words between the lines.

The words they think they hide from me.

This kind of listening is an art in itself.

(raging rhetoric)

——————————

Rosalyn prided herself in being observant. She was brought up as heir to the throne and learned everything to prepare her for ruling the Breck Kingdom. She ended up defecting, of course, but what she learned stayed with her.

Ever since she met Choi Han, and later on Cale, Rosalyn had met a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds with also a lot of different personalities. And by a lot, I mean a lot. Cale had tendencies to collect people, after all.

It took some time for her to know every single one of them, but Rosalyn could safely say that she fully understood the majority of her allies.

And that included the Crown Prince of the Roan Kingdom, Alberu Crossman.

Rosalyn had heard about Alberu from years ago, obviously. He was the heir to the Roan Kingdom's throne, after all. As an ex-Princess, Rosalyn had to memorize about the Kingdoms in the Western continent. It was simply expected of her to do so.

However, hearing about him and meeting him in person were two different things.

Yes, Alberu was everything the books and her tutors told her about, but those stories weren't everything Alberu was.

Every story painted Alberu as the perfect Prince. He had the looks, the mind, the capabilities, and the personality fitting for a Crown Prince. The only thing he lacked was support. But even then, the King named him the Crown Prince instead of any of his siblings, including the son of the current Queen.

Someone unswayable. Someone with a cool head who cared for his people. Someone whose glib tongue was unparalleled. Someone cold, even.

And then Rosalyn met Alberu.

The first thing Rosalyn noticed from Alberu was none of what she had expected before. Not his looks, not his personality, none of them.

It was his eyes.

Or more specifically, the way his eyes kept following Cale.

Oh dear, Rosalyn thought to herself, silently amused. It seems that young master Cale has caught His Highness's heart, hasn't he?

How could she not notice?

Rosalyn believed in the stories and rumors about the Crown Prince. They were based on facts and actual events, after all. Alberu Crossman really was the perfect, cold Prince despite the (honestly) excessive compliments rolling off his tongue.

So when she noticed the way Alberu gazed at Cale, well... It wasn't hard to put two and two together.

She knew of his affections, but she didn't know the extent of it. That was, of course, until the day Cage gave him the letter from God of Death.

"I will go read it in that corner. He said to look at it alone, so I'll have to do that."

Rosalyn blinked once. It wasn't like the young master to take a god's words seriously. (yes, she realized that sounded blasphemous, but it's Cale!)

"What? You don't even know what it is, but you're going to open it in the corner?" Alberu's incredulous words made Rosalyn nod in agreement.

"What's wrong with that?" Cale made it sound as if it was nothing as he headed to a corner of the room.

'I don't know why, but this doesn't feel like nothing at all...' Rosalyn thought warily. Something felt off.

The wariness she felt grew when she noticed Cale's body stiffening up as he read the letter. She didn't make any move towards him, because she knew Cale wouldn't want anyone seeing the letter. And if it was something bad, then Cale would let them know. Cale Henituse wasn't someone who would keep danger close to his people, after all. (but what about when it's close to himself?)

But then she saw Alberu standing up briskly before approaching Cale with worry clearly painted on his eyes.

"Cale Henituse," Rosalyn heard him call out. "I didn't look at the paper. I just thought you seemed off."

Cale seemed to fold the letter before turning around. She might not be sitting near him at the moment, but she could see Cale's extremely pale complexion. His skin was already pale to begin with, but he just looked so sickly right now. He seemed to be sweating a lot as well.

"What is it, Your Highness?" Cale asked, trying to be nonchalant.

Even with Alberu's back facing her, Rosalyn could tell that the blonde Prince was definitely frowning. Cale's nonchalance was too easy to see through this time, which was odd.

"Are you okay?"

Oh, Rosalyn gasped internally. It must be bad! He sounds very worried!

"I am okay, but let's talk in a bit. I haven't finished looking at it."

Rosalyn didn't buy this excuse. She knew something was definitely wrong and she wanted to ask Cale about it, but decided to hold off for now. Alberu seemed to have the same opinion.

"...Alright then. I'll wait for you over there," she heard Alberu's reply before Alberu hesitantly stepped back. Rosalyn could see the corner of Alberu's shirt being scrunched, which probably meant the great young black Dragon was holding unto him.

A few moments passed by until Cale folded the paper and put it in his inner pocket before turning around.

"Young Master-nim, was it bad news?" Cage broke the silence.

"Let's just..."

Rosalyn noted that Cale's eyes were burning up contrary to his pale face. Cale did not hide his anger as he continued to speak, which was definitely different than usual. The Cale that Rosalyn knew nearly always kept a poker face.

"Let's just ignore it."

Ignore it?

Rosalyn was taken aback. Cale was clearly affected by whatever the God of Death said and he wanted to ignore it?

"...You're going to ignore a message from a God?" Cage asked.

"Yes. He told me to live however I pleased. That is why I am going to do whatever I want."

"...And what would that be?" Alberu cautiously asked.

"A shit show."

"...What?"

Rosalyn frowned. Something didn't add up. Something felt very wrong. But what could it be?

"I plan to use overwhelming strength to destroy everything."

"...Haven't you already been doing that?"

Cale smiled at Alberu's response.

"I plan to do it even more."

Alberu chuckled.

"...What a disrespectful smile," he commented with a wry smile. "You plan on defeating the White Star with overwhelming strength?" He asked again.

"Yes, Your Highness."

Cale's face was completely pale. However, his eyes were more focused and alive than ever before. Then there was this short but confident response.

Cale sounded confident. He sounded sure. Yet why... Why did Rosalyn feel as though it was calm before the storm? She took a glance at Alberu and confirmed that the Crown Prince most probably felt the same as her.

"Then that's great," Alberu said, his eyes following Cale walking back to the chair he had been sitting on.

"So how do you plan on defeating the White Star with ove- huh?"

Rosalyn's eyes grew wide as she saw Cale starting to stumble. She briskly stood up and held her hand out, sending out wisps of red mana to stop Cale's fall.

What the hell did the God of Death say to young master Cale?!, Rosalyn screamed internally. For such a strong figure like the young master to be scared like this!

It didn't escape her notice how Alberu was holding onto Cale. Rosalyn was worried for Cale, but Alberu was terrified. If it weren't for the fact that both of them were (technically) holding Cale steady, Rosalyn would've thought that Alberu was the one who needed support. His eyes were wide and his skin grew pale.

And just when she thought it couldn't get worse, it did.

Rosalyn put Cale on Alberu's bed, fully ready to do whatever it takes to make Cale tell them what happened, but Cale answered easier than she thought he would.

"He said I was supposed to die."

Silence filled the room at that moment.

W-What did he say...?

Rosalyn was speechless.

Then she saw Cale smiling after dropping that bomb and couldn't decide whether to scream or to shake the hell out of the red haired noble's body.

"YOU CRAZY BASTARD!"

Alberu's screaming brought her senses back.

Neither screaming nor shaking then. Cale looked surprised and scared already, and she could see that his body was still slightly trembling.

Rosalyn heaved a heavy sigh before plastering a cold smile.

"Young master Cale, you really are someone we cannot leave alone," she spoke, the smile on her face becoming vicious.

If Cale had told them with a worried face, perhaps, then Rosalyn wouldn't be this angry. But this young master had the gall to smile? Was he suicidal?!

Slowly breathing in and out to keep herself calm, Rosalyn stayed silent and observed the two glib tongued men instead.

She watched as the two bantered slightly, with Cale defending his reaction and Alberu getting frustrated. Perhaps 'frustrated' was putting it lightly.

As she noticed earlier, Alberu was definitely terrified. Rosalyn already guessed about the Prince's feelings towards this self-sacrificial noble, but she didn't yet know to what extent.

Watching this, however...

Alberu's expression when Cale said that he planned on living a very happy life with the children was the one that moved Rosalyn.

He's in love, Rosalyn sighed internally. He's in love and he's terrified that young master Cale would leave him...

She smiled sadly.

This lonely Prince... Rosalyn couldn't help but feel sympathetic.

"Young master Cale, make sure you remember those words," she commented gently as she pulled the blanket up to Cale's neck, urging him to rest. She then turned around and made eye contact with Alberu.

Once Cage and Taylor left, Alberu turned to close the curtains before walking to the corner of the room, followed by Rosalyn.

"What do you think?" Alberu asked her, his voice low. Rosalyn could detect slight trembling in his voice.

"To be honest, I'm worried, Your Highness," Rosalyn replied with a sigh. "Young master Cale said he planned to live a long happy life, but..."

"He keeps throwing himself into trouble, doesn't he?" Alberu groaned. "He was supposed to die? What the fuck is that?" He cursed out loud, not caring about his prince-ly persona.

Rosalyn didn't even bat an eye. It was understandable for Alberu to shed every single royalty etiquette bullshit when faced with the possibility of his love dying. Rosalyn wasn't one to talk about such etiquette either considering how much she enjoyed destroying that castle back at Breck Kingdom.

"I don't know about gods and whatever it is they want, but I think our priority right now is making sure Young Master Cale is healthy. He's really pale."

"I agree. Must we confine him to bed to make sure he finally rests?" Alberu said, only half-joking. "He wants a slacker life, doesn't he? He'd like that."

Rosalyn let out a humorless chuckle.

Well, isn't that an idea?, Rosalyn shook her head.

"We just have to make him rest enough. We can take other measures for his health. There's nothing else we can actually do if he doesn't want it," she finally said. There was no way she would be in favor of imprisoning Cale.

"You're right. Let's take over some of the planning and let him rest for now. You should rest too, Miss Rosalyn."

Rosalyn stared at Alberu for a while. His eyes seemed very tired and his hair was a mess from him running his hand through it multiple times. He kept glancing back at Cale who was already fast asleep on his bed.

The talented mage smiled softly.

"You too, Your Highness. I'll leave young master Cale in your hands."

——————————

Bud Illis was the Mercenary King. He had a lot of experiences dealing with people and he could safely say that he was good at it. People from various backgrounds with various personalities needed different ways of handling, and Bud could always safely deal with them.

He'd like to say that he'd seen every single type of person there was. That included that lunatic White Star who was trying to kill him, of course.

But then he met Cale Henituse.

Someone who looked and smelled just like the White Star. How suspicious was that?

His suspicions were proven wrong when he got to witness just who Cale Henituse truly was. A cunning noble who cared for his companions more than he valued himself. A vicious strategist with a heart so big he enchanted a lot of people. Someone who called himself trash when his actions were heroic and selfless.

Oh, and an alcohol lover like himself, of course. He heard about Cale's alcoholic past and was in awe. Such an amazing drinker!

So yes, Bud admired Cale. It was a purely platonic feeling, obviously. He didn't know Cale enough to fall in love that quickly. Besides, if there was anyone Bud would grow to love as a person he wanted to be with the rest of his life, it'd probably be his mage friend, Glenn. But that's a story for another day.

Speaking of love, it got Bud thinking. Cale was basically a hero. Heroes always had people throwing themselves at them in stories. Bud didn't doubt that it was the case with Cale as well. He'd heard the term Young Master Silver Shield multiple times, after all. But those heroes would always have one person beside them. A lifelong partner. Companion in life and death.

Now, who would fill that position in Cale's life?

His knight, the swordmaster Choi Han who was always with him?

Hm, probably not. He didn't see any indications of Cale having feelings for the swordmaster. He looked more like a younger brother that Cale tried not to disappoint, if anything. The way Choi Han acted also made Bud think more of a dog trying to please its master, but in a good way. It just showed how loyal Choi Han was.

Or maybe the Gold Dragon Eruhaben who was the reason Cale went to find him in the first place?

He's a Dragon, an ancient one. The strongest existence in nature. Surely a Dragon would suit the hero? But then again, with the way Eruhaben looked at Cale, Bud would call him Cale's father figure instead of a possible lover. His gaze looked so similar to Bud's father's whenever Bud did something stupid in his youth.

Cale's butler, the Molan patriarch, was way above Cale's age and he was definitely another father figure. Maybe his son? Bud hadn't seen a lot of Beacrox Molan to figure it out, but for some reason he doubted it. From what he saw, the younger Molan looked at Cale like how a servant looked at his master. With a lot more loyalty than usual, though.

Someone close to Cale who might have feelings for Cale... Who could it be?

The first clue came when he brought Cale to the Mercenary Guild Directory.

"Human! It's the Crown Prince!" The black Dragon pulled out an orb from his spatial dimension. It was glowing red.

Hm? Crown Prince? As in the Crown Prince of the Roan Kingdom?

Raon peeked at Cale's condition before continuing to speak. "Human! The Crown Prince is calling! Should I tell him to call back later?"

Bud also peeked towards Cale before starting to speak.

"I'm fine even if you connect the call. We already decided to use magic anyway. But your condition is, mm."

Cale did not seem to be in a condition to accept a call right now. His skin was flushed red, sweat dripped from his head, and he was unbuttoning his shirt due to the heat. Definitely wasn't a proper state to receive a call from his Kingdom's royalty.

However, Cale petted Raon, On and Hong on the head before starting to speak.

"Connect him."

Bud's jaw almost slackened. Almost.

Was he really going to answer the Crown Prince's call in this condition?!

'Won't he be considered rude? Is this really okay?'

"Young master-nim."

"I will help you, Cale-nim."

"There's no need. I'm almost done."

Cale shook his head toward Ron and Choi Han, making Bud even more confused.

He's clearly not okay and he refused help?! No, seriously, is this really okay?! Wait, how many buttons is he going to open?

At this point, Cale's pale chest was already on full display.

"Human, I connected him!"

Cale, who was still (!!) undoing his buttons, looked forward after hearing Raon's voice.

Bud gulped.

Oh dear, I hope this won't end badly...

A regal and handsome face appeared on the screen. Naturally, it was the Crown Prince, Alberu Crossman. Bud was expecting him to immediately be taken aback and call out how rude Cale was being.

However, despite his totally normal expectation, Alberu let out quite a non-majestic screech instead.

What the HELL are you doing?!

He was taken aback alright, but something seemed off. The handsome Prince's face instantly became as red as Cale's hair. A person's face could turn red when they were angry, sure, but it didn't seem like this was the case. Alberu didn't look angry at all.

In fact, he looked...

Bud blinked once.

Is he flustered?, Bud thought incredulously with wide eyes.

He turned to look at Cale.

Cale's eyes were half-lidded. His shirt was unbuttoned all the way to his stomach, leaving his pale chest on display. The sound of his heavy breathing filled the Directory as drops of sweat slowly dripped down from his temple to his cheek, down to his neck and chest, before disappearing behind what was left of Cale's shirt.

It was definitely a disrespectful look, but also a very sexy appearance. Seductive, even.

Wait, seductive?

Bud turned to the communication device again just in time to see Alberu gulping. His eyes were very wide and Bud noticed how his breathing quickened from the rise and fall of Alberu's chest.

Oh... OH! Could it be?!

He watched Alberu take a deep breath.

Did you just decide to return to your old alcoholic trash days? Hmm? How much did you drink that your face turns so red and your head is full of sweat-

Alberu paused before a frown marred his forehead. The flustered expression he had earlier vanished in a blink of an eye, replaced by deep worry.

– ...What did you do this time? Did you use an Ancient Power?

His eyes moved across the room before landing on Bud as they made eye contact.

Is that the Mercenary King?

Bud slightly nodded his head, but he didn't bow.

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Your Highness. My name is Bud Illis. I am the Mercenary King."

His tone was respectful, but he was standing tall. Although he did not have any territory of his own, he was the representative of one of the top factions on the Eastern continent.

The Mercenary King did not easily bow toward the Kings of the Eastern continent either.

Nice to meet you. I am Alberu Crossman.

Alberu's self-introduction was short, but it didn't matter. Bud already knew who he was (and who his affections might belong to, as it turned out!).

The more Bud observed the interaction between Cale and Alberu, the more sure he was of Alberu's feelings. They were so comfortable with each other. Cale had a tendency to not say the entire information (which often caused a lot of frustration and misunderstandings), but Alberu easily understood every single thing. Cale rarely had to elaborate for Alberu to fully grasp the meaning of his words.

It was quite bizarre and interesting to watch.

Bud was understandably bewildered as they talked about a revolution that might take place in the Empire.

"I will contact you after destroying everything here, Your Highness."

Alright, have fun destroying things.

Why does it sound like they're the cause of that revolt?! And why are they talking about destruction so casually like this?!

...yeah, Alberu Crossman might just be the perfect match for Cale Henituse.

The second clue, although a bit weird, presented itself when they were at the Castle of Light.

Cale, Choi Han, and Raon just returned from the Dragon Slayer Village after Eruhaben told Cale they needed ten billion cound worth of magic stones. (which Cale actually said he'd ask the Crown Prince to pay half if he couldn't get cash quickly?!)

The currently bloodied (although fake) Cale asked Raon to make a call.

"Human, it is connected!"

Cale turned toward the video communication device.

...You- you-

A person who seemed to have been woken up had a shocked expression on his face. No, forget shocked, he seemed terrified, deadly worried, and nauseous all at the same time. His face was pale and his eyes were shaking as his hand, which was covering his mouth, trembled. His breathing was hitched and quick.

Not a good way to be woken up, for sure. Bud pitied the blonde Prince.

"Ah, I didn't get hurt very much. I am fine, Your Highness," Cale smiled brightly.

Bud saw the corner of Alberu's eyes twitch as he frowned. He noticed how Alberu's hand still trembled and how his eyes were still slightly shaking, but his earlier signs of panic were disappearing gradually.

...You're driving me nuts.

"Crown Prince, don't go nuts!" Raon shouted happily, not realizing what Alberu was feeling.

Bud seriously pitied this Crown Prince as he put on a gentle smile.

Raon-nim, I will not really go nuts.

Alberu sighed.

Huuuuuu.

Cale's expression turned odd after hearing that sigh. Alberu didn't care before putting his arms on the table and clasping them together to put his chin on them as he started to speak.

Alright. What trouble did you cause this time?

He was speaking gently, as if he was dealing with a child. This confused Bud greatly.

Bud could swear that Alberu was annoyed. Yes, he might have feelings for this red haired young master, but who wouldn't be annoyed when the love of your love turned up bloody only for them to be completely fine after giving you a heart attack?

So why was he speaking so gently like this? This felt iffy.

Alberu's face that was shining brightly even though he had just woken up matched the Mercenaries Guild's information Bud had read about the Western continent's Crown Prince Alberu Crossman of the Roan Kingdom.

The Mercenaries Guild had a lot of information about the Roan Kingdom that progressed significantly due to the results of the multiple wars across the Western continent as well as Alberu Crossman, the man who was leading the Kingdom.

Crown Prince Alberu Crossman, the man responsible for leading the Western continent through all of these wars, was not taking the throne yet. The reason he gave was that the aftermath of the war that impacted the Roan Kingdom and the Western continent was not gone yet, so he wanted to only focus on the Roan Kingdom and nothing else until all of these instabilities disappeared and peace returned to the Kingdom.

But was that the only reason?

Bud believed that Alberu Crossman was not such a person who was willing to sacrifice personal gains like this. From what he read, Alberu was more likely to be someone who would even use his wedding as a political tool.

Of course, that thought changed when Bud took Cale Henituse into consideration.

Alberu might be the Crown Prince, however, Bud could say with confidence that Cale was more influential than Alberu. More powerful, more connections, more allies. Besides, looking at how they interacted, using Cale for a political wedding would definitely be the last thing on Alberu's mind.

So perhaps he might be putting everything else aside until they defeated the White Star and peace was restored? Could it be the reason he pushed back everything including taking the throne and getting married?

...But my intuition is telling me that is not the case. Not everything, at least.

Well, whatever the reason was, Bud was sure it wouldn't be detrimental for Cale. Which meant it wouldn't harm him due to his connections to Cale.

...You thoughtless fool.

Hm?

"Excuse me?" Cale replied, shocked.

Alberu then made eye contact with Choi Han who was standing behind the shocked Cale.

You too.

"...I don't understand what you are talking about, Your Highness."

You are a thoughtless fool as well.

Choi Han's expression was calm, but his eyes were looking at the Crown Prince in a way that seemed to be asking what nonsense he was talking about.

Bud was once again bewildered.

What's happening?

"Did you have a dream, Your Highness?"

Alberu responded honestly to Cale's grumbling.

Yes. I am still dreaming.

A bright smile soon appeared on his face.

Dongsaeng.

Cale flinched after hearing Alberu suddenly change the way he was addressing him.

Aren't I always handsome?

What the fuck-

"You are the shining star that will brighten our Roan Kingdom as well as the Eastern and Western continents. You will be both the sun and the moon. Sometimes, you shine so brightly that I get so filled with admiration about how bright the Roan Kingdom's future will be-"

You damn bastard.

Bud's jaw dropped.

"...What the ... The Crown Prince ... Asking such a question......" He started mumbling in disbelief.

He could understand Alberu being slightly different from the information he'd received, but wasn't this too much?!

"...Those two ... The Western continent's heroes ... The Western continent's hope......" He continued mumbling.

The fate of the world rests on these people?! REALLY?!

Alright. So, what trouble did you cause?

Alberu asked and Cale responded.

"Your Highness, everything is in the Roan Kingdom."

What are you talking about?

"The power to defeat the White Star."

Alberu motioned to Cale with his finger.

Return immediately.

Bud shook his head. These two heroes... Bud didn't get what Cale was talking about, and yet Alberu understood without a blink. They really belonged to each other!

And lastly, the moment Bud was 100% sure of Alberu's feelings towards Cale, was when they went to the Palace after Cale gained another rock ancient power.

It was the first time Bud met the Crown Prince face to face, but it felt as though he'd known him already. He'd seen a lot of things regarding Alberu that normal people wouldn't know about, after all. Those calls between Cale and Alberu seriously revealed a lot.

There was something else that he didn't know about, as it turned out.

And that thing was jealousy.

Bud noticed the way Alberu was looking at him. He was studying Bud; from top to bottom. Judging him, even.

It'd be a normal thing for an heir to the throne to measure him, the Mercenary King, up. It wasn't something to be surprised about.

But Alberu Crossman was known for being discrete and careful. That Crown Prince wouldn't be caught judging someone so openly like this.

No, this wasn't the Crown Prince of the Roan Kingdom being cautious of the Mercenary King.

This was Alberu Crossman, the man who fell for Cale Henituse, measuring up Bud Illis, someone with connections to Cale Henituse whom he wasn't familiar with.

Bud almost laughed.

Honestly, this was quite... refreshing. Bud pitied whoever would dare try and woo Cale in the future. They'd have to face Alberu as a rival.

Before they left, Alberu spoke.

"Don't overdo it. The Roan Kingdom is probably the Kingdom that is most prepared on the Western continent to fight against the White Star."

Oh, Bud thought, he's showing his worry.

He then watched Alberu slipping a purple rose behind Cale's ear with a silent gasp.

OH, he thought again, this time with wide eyes, HE'S MAKING A MOVE! HE'S ACTUALLY MAKING A MOVE!

"Stop getting hurt so much. You are my dongsaeng," Alberu took a step back. "You are all Roan Kingdom's citizens, so come home if things get tough. Don't do anything that puts your life in danger."

Wait, did he really say 'Roan Kingdom's citizens'? I'm from the Eastern continent though- oh. Ohhh he's showing his jealousy, isn't he?

Bud couldn't stop his lips from twitching. He stared at Alberu for a while before looking at Cale.

Cale was definitely still clueless.

His grin now on full view, he turned back to Alberu and winked before giving him a thumbs up.

Good luck, Crown Prince! I'm rooting for you!

——————————

Fredo von Ejellan was very grateful towards Cale Henituse.

At first, he only asked Cale for help due to the curse he had. He couldn't go against the White Star because of it and needed outside help. Who better than the White Star's number one enemy himself? They were an inevitable pairing.

After all, coincidences happening over and over must mean that they were inevitable.

Even after Cale found out about the things he'd been keeping a secret, instead of turning away, he gave Fredo a chance to negotiate with the Roan Kingdom.

Negotiate! As an equal! With the proxy of the Crown Prince himself!

The quarter Dark Elf Bob, the Crown Prince's proxy and also the person in charge of the Crown Prince's information network. The person at the center of the information.

Information was sometimes more important than diplomacy, administration, and troops. But the fact that someone in charge of that was that young must mean that this person was quite skilled.

Fredo saw Alberu Crossman as a talented but calm and collected person, so it was obvious that Bob, someone that Alberu had selected, was an amazing person.

To think that Alberu would personally send him to talk with Fredo...

Alberu also gave the Endable Kingdom a lot of consideration. Depending on the situation, Alberu told him (through Bob) that he would not spare any 'personal advice' that may assist him in getting the independence of the Kingdom, setting up an administrative system, and building connections with the Kingdoms of the Western continent.

The person who was seen as the most talented administrator and politician in the Western continent would personally give him advice? That was very, very generous of him.

Thanks to their mutual understanding, Fredo was able to ensure the safety of the Vampires during their faux attack on Cale's Black Castle as well.

And none of this would be possible without Cale Henituse.

Fredo was truly grateful for Cale Henituse, and by extension, Alberu Crossman. He heard that they were sworn brothers. They really suited each other really well.

After they stopped the fake plan and captured Count Mock along with the rest of the troops, Fredo was sitting in the strategy room with Bob, Choi Han, a skinny black haired boy, and a half-transparent beautiful lady with white hair. Apparently this lady was the last Dragon Lord?

They were discussing their plans when Choi Han suddenly flinched and briskly left the room with an odd expression.

"Did something happen?" He found himself asking.

The Dragon Lord frowned, "Someone just arrived. She has the touch of a god on her."

Touch of a god?, Fredo thought, a little taken aback. Like a Priestess? Or a Saintess? Holy Maiden? No, wait, which god?

He saw Bob's frowning face from the corner of his eyes before the quarter Dark Elf stood up.

"I'll go see what's happening, Sheritt-nim. Excuse me, Duke."

As Bob left the room, Fredo turned to the Dragon Lord. Sheritt, was it?

"Is it something serious, Dragon-nim?" Fredo asked politely. Half-transparent or not, she was still a Dragon Lord. Fredo wasn't stupid enough to offend her.

Sheritt's frown still stayed as she hummed, but she didn't answer Fredo's question. She kept looking at the door with a nervous expression. The black haired boy next to her was also looking at the door, clearly worried.

They heard some commotion and Cale's name being brought up before Bob suddenly closed the door.

Fredo turned his gaze to the door and crossed his arms.

Something was going on. And he had a feeling he wouldn't like it.

A few moments later, the door was pushed open and Bob was standing there with a very stiff and angry expression. His eyes were shaking and his hands were visibly trembling. It was as if he was repressing a lot of negative emotions at once.

Something bad definitely happened.

Fredo took a deep breath.

"Choi Han."

"Yes, sir."

"You go to the Endable Kingdom."

Endable Kingdom? Why?

Bob made eye contact with Fredo before he slowly removed his mask.

His skin, eyes, and hair color all changed at the same time.

"......!"

Fredo's eyes opened wide and his jaw dropped in shock.

Bright golden hair, clear blue eyes, smooth white skin.

Crown Prince Alberu Crossman?!

BOB WAS ALBERU CROSSMAN?!

ALBERU CROSSMAN IS QUARTER DARK ELF?!

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!

Fredo took another deep breath to calm himself down.

No, wait, something is off, Fredo frowned to himself. Why did he suddenly reveal his true appearance? It's like a trump card, he wouldn't show it to me so easily. What-

"I will go to the palace first and then head over too."

"Then I will be heading out first."

Choi Han and Alberu started to walk in different directions after that.

"Something serious happened. Something terrible. Something very unexpected. The White Star attacked back? No, their reaction wouldn't be like this. Could it be... Cale Henituse...?" Fredo muttered to himself.

Sudden movement from beside him stopped his mutterings.

"Duke Fredo."

The extremely beautiful Dragon called out.

"Yes, Dragon-nim?"

"Stay still."

Fredo felt chill running down his spine as the Dragon Lord glared at him before she glided across the floor and left the room.

It didn't take a long time before Fredo found out what happened.

There was a barrier surrounding the Endable Kingdom and Cale Henituse was trapped in the Sealed God's test.

Things had really gone downhill.

He had to stay with Cale's allies as it was impossible for him to return to the Endable Kingdom at the moment. He had no allies in the Eastern continent either.

A few days passed quietly, much to his surprise.

Fredo observed a lot of things during those days. It seemed that Choi Han made a deal with a god (though he didn't know which one) and went to help Cale. Alberu was trying to do damage control and kept the amount of people privy to Cale's condition a minimum.

He didn't know how Choi Han was doing, but Alberu was clearly exhausted.

"Your Highness."

Alberu didn't respond, his eyes still gazing at the black barrier.

"Your Highness."

Still no response.

"Bob."

"Do you want to die?"

Fredo chuckled. He started to speak to Alberu who was glaring at him.

"The Western continent is quieter than I expected. The Eastern continent as well."

"Is there any reason for it to not be quiet?"

"...Mm, Cale Henituse's absence?"

Alberu looked away, but Fredo could see the frown which had accompanied Alberu every day since the day Cale was trapped.

Fredo was aware of Alberu's worry. His sworn brother, the one hero who actually had a chance to beat the White Star, was in danger and there was nothing they could do. Of course he'd be worried.

But on the other hand, Fredo noticed something else.

Alberu was frightened.

And it wasn't the type of fear present on a lot of Cale Henituse's allies.

It felt... tender, almost. No, was that even the right word?

Fredo didn't know how to describe it, but he could feel that something was different. It was in the way he acted. The young black Dragon was worried for his human as well, but his worry felt different from Alberu's. That one felt like a child's worry for his parent. Choi Han's worry felt like one for a family. That also felt different from Alberu's.

Which was weird. Wasn't Cale and Alberu sworn brothers? Practically family? Why did it feel different?

Things went by pretty quickly after that.

He wasn't sure what exactly happened, but he heard that Alberu found a way to communicate with Cale and Choi Han. He disappeared a few times too. Every time he came back, his complexion became slightly better, so it was clear that Cale and Choi Han would be fine.

It lifted away some heaviness from Fredo's heart. The Endable Kingdom's future didn't seem as dark now that he knew that there was a big chance that Cale Henituse would be okay.

Before he knew it, they managed to take Cale away from the Endable Kingdom. A few months after that, Cale finished the test and woke up.

And then he was attacked by the Cat Tribe and almost died.

Yes, nothing too shocking happened.

With the way things were happening, Fredo had no chance to ponder more about the oddness in Alberu's worry towards Cale. He put it aside and forgot about it, even after he had to recuperate in the Henituse territory.

All he knew was that Alberu cared very much for Cale. So much to the point of disregarding his tightly-kept secret disguise in front of Fredo when Cale was in danger.

——————————

If you ask: who were the first people to notice Alberu's feelings for Cale?

The answer was very simple.

Ron Molan and Eruhaben.

The Patriarch of Molan Household and the ancient Dragon were Cale Henituse's parental figure. Someone who acted like a father for the Silver Shield Hero even more than his biological father, Duke Deruth Henituse.

Ron was used to taking care of Cale since he was a child. Even after the day his young master suddenly changed, Ron stayed true to his occupation as Cale's butler. Yes, he noticed Cale's aversion to lemon tea and yes, he kept doing it because it was fun to see his reaction. It made for a simple punishment as well.

Eruhaben had never had someone to care about in his almost a thousand years of life. He was content with living by himself, only having Pendrick visiting once in a while. He was also ready to welcome a beautiful natural death.

But then came Cale Henituse in all his scamming glory and suddenly, he was a grandfather and a father all at once.

Did he regret it?

No.

He came to love his children and wouldn't trade them for anything else.

With their shared parental love for the unlucky bastard, Ron and Eruhaben came to a mutual understanding. Their goal was aligned; keep Cale Henituse safe.

It was easier said than done, obviously.

He kept running around attracting dangers and collecting people. Sure, he did it for the peace of the world, but couldn't he at least have some self preservation?!

Threats were everywhere. It was so hard just to ensure this punk's safety. The threats that Ron and Eruhaben were thinking about weren't limited to only physical threats, of course.

If anything, the biggest threat they saw came in the form of the Roan Kingdom's one and only Crown Prince, Alberu Crossman.

Ron saw the seeds of what was to come long before Alberu himself realized that he was attracted to Cale.

Everyone in the Roan Kingdom knew about Alberu Crossman. Their cunning and untouchable Crown Prince. The perfect heir to the throne. Someone who showered others with compliments and treated them gracefully but never kept anyone close.

So why was he acting so tender towards his young master, hm?

The amount of attention he paid towards Cale was simply suspicious.

What's that? Cale knows about his secret and Alberu was worried about it?

Nonsense! Ron's puppy young master wouldn't do anything bad towards the Crown Prince! He loved peace and quiet too much, blackmailing the Crown Prince would seem like an annoying chore to him!

Besides, if Alberu was worried about being blackmailed, he wouldn't treat Cale so carelessly! The way he talked to Cale was very casual and relaxed, very unlike someone who was threatened!

Ron kept his suspicions to himself, planning to uncover more when the time comes.

On the other hand, Eruhaben first noticed about the Crown Prince having feelings for his child back after the Battle of the Gorge of Death. It was the moment Cale revealed his true identity along with Raon's to Alberu.

To put it simply, Alberu accepted the revelation too easily. Especially considering he had Dark Elf blood in him. He even ignored Eruhaben in favor of listening to Cale!

Hm? It's because Cale was talking about how he'd explode in three days?

Eh, that was beside the point.

No, wait, actually that was another point!

After Cale told him about his possible exploding future, Eruhaben noticed how Alberu's breath hitched and the way his eyes started to glass over. It was a normal reaction, but at the same time, it wasn't.

Because his immediate reaction wasn't just fear and shock. It was anger.

Why was he angry?

The answer was because Alberu was upset that Cale didn't tell him sooner.

Quite suspicious.

The moment both Ron and Eruhaben had their suspicions confirmed was the same.

It was when Cale held a single red rose as he walked into the Hope and Adventure Inn to find the Mercenary King and a cure for Eruhaben.

When asked about it, Cale offhandedly mentioned Alberu giving it to him as a 'good luck charm'.

Ron and Eruhaben made eye contact.

Target confirmed.

Eliminate?

——————————

Choi Han admired Cale. No, it would be more precise to say that he adored Cale.

Cale gave him a home and family after he lost everything for the second time in his life. The first time was painful, but the second time was downright excruciating. Just when he thought he could finally settle down, everything went up in flames.

Without Cale, he'd have fallen down into the darkness.

He wanted to share everything he had with Cale. His life, his background, his secret. He felt that even his entire life wouldn't be enough to repay Cale's kindness.

When they went to the Dragon Slayer Village and found the Birth of a Hero book written by Choi Jung Gun, Choi Han saw the hangul and his heart skipped a beat. It was a trace of his past. Something that only he knew about.

He wanted to share it with Cale.

When he told Cale the truth about himself, he kind of expected Cale to be repulsed. Although he had lived for tens of years, his appearance looked as if he had not even aged a single year. Wasn't that off putting?

But Cale's response was something very unexpected.

"Are you trying to tell me you want to be called, 'hyung,' like His Highness? Is that how I should address you?"

"...Excuse me?"

"...Or maybe grandpa? If not that, Choi Han-nim?"

Choi Han felt very relieved.

He didn't mind, his mind whispered. He's still the same Cale-nim even after that.

He smiled.

"Please keep things as they were."

"Sure, Choi Han."

Choi Han then promised to teach him and everyone else Korean. He felt really happy back then. It felt as though he could finally completely move on from his past and live in the present.

And then one day, he suddenly fainted and gained Choi Jung Soo's memory.

Kim Rok Soo.

Did he feel betrayed? Perhaps.

Shock, anger, happiness, sorrow, and joy.

The Kim Rok Soo in Choi Jung Soo's memories and the Cale that Choi Han interacted with were truly, truly the same. Their identity, appearance, and situation were different, but their actions were almost identical.

His feeling of betrayal disappeared even though he originally felt disappointed and almost angry at the fact that Cale feigned ignorance at everything because the way Cale treated or talked to him and the others was the same as Kim Rok Soo in Choi Jung Soo's memories.

In fact, he could feel that Cale treated him and the others as true friends or even beyond that of family after experiencing Choi Jung Soo's life.

After they talked, the first thing Cale asked him was if Choi Han was okay after watching Choi Jung Soo's memory.

Choi Han chuckled to himself.

Ah, this liege of mine.

Choi Han was grateful for Cale Henituse. In his eyes, Cale was more than a god.

No, he was not turning into Clopeh Sekka.

Unlike Clopeh and his delusions, Choi Han had valid reasons to think so.

Cale was the one who saved him when he was about to fall into despair. During his time in the Forest of Darkness, Choi Han prayed to a lot of gods and deities to be saved, but no one answered his prayers.

When he stayed at Harris Village and found a new family, the villagers taught him about the gods of this world. He prayed to a number of them, begging them to let him finally have peace. It wasn't answered and he lost his second home.

Choi Han resented gods since then. Then when he was at rock bottom, the one who extended his hand towards Choi Han and offered help wasn't a god. It was Cale Henituse.

Cale didn't stop at just food and housing. He gave him a family. A permanent home. Things that felt like miracles.

So was it truly far-fetched to think of Cale as more than a god?

Perhaps that was why Choi Han tried to always be polite and kind in front of Cale. He couldn't disappoint Cale. Not after everything he'd received.

Everything was for Cale's sake.

Choi Han noticed the roses after the celebration where Cale and Alberu became sworn brothers. It wasn't the first time he saw Cale with roses, but it was the first time he asked about it.

"I rarely see you with flowers, Cale-nim," Choi Han said. "It looks really good on you."

"Ah, this?" Cale motioned to the single blue rose attached to his suit. "I'm not sure why, but His Highness put it on me when he gave me this golden plaque."

His Highness put it on Cale-nim? A blue rose... Wait...

Choi Han's expression stiffened.

What was it? The first one? I think it was one red rose...? And then a flower crown made of red roses, right? How many were there again? Five? Six?

He remembered reading a book about flower language back at Harris Village. He was learning the alphabets and the language of the Roan Kingdom and one of the villagers gave him the book to study.

He didn't expect it to come in handy.

A single red rose means I like you, right? And five or six red roses... That's either I'm infatuated with you or I adore you.

Choi Han glanced at the rose on Cale's suit.

Blue rose. I can't have you but I can't stop thinking about you.

He inhaled sharply.

His Highness is in love with Cale-nim.

He's in love with Cale-nim but he doesn't think he can be with Cale-nim.

Choi Han didn't know the extent of Alberu's love back then. All he knew was that Alberu loved Cale but didn't want to ruin the relationship they had. Why else would he give Cale the blue rose?

But then he saw the jealousy in Alberu's eyes and the purple rose.

The worry and the two red roses.

The gratitude and dark pink rose.

And finally, the golden roses tipped with red that Cale sent to Alberu.

That day, Choi Han felt as though his heart was being trampled by hordes of trampling horses.

Choi Han was worried for Alberu when they went and found him covered in armor, choked by the White Star. His entire body was probably covered by blood at that time. He then acted selfless with no self preservation, exactly like Cale.

That kind of pissed him off.

Wasn't one self sacrificial person enough? Must his student copy his sworn brother like that?

Then he found himself guarding the door as the two conversed. The conversation suddenly halted and Choi Han witnessed the two looking into each other's eyes as though they were entranced.

When they began gravitating towards each other, Choi Han forced his head down.

Who am I to interrupt them?, Choi Han thought bitterly.

Cage knocked on the door and they pulled away quickly before anything happened, but that didn't lift the heaviness in Choi Han's heart at all.

But who was he to complain?

When they went to the Endable Kingdom and Cale left with Alberu to scout the facility, Choi Han closed his eyes and sighed.

Duke Fredo was in the next room, talking with Solena. He could hear everything Fredo was talking about so he was slightly relaxed even though he wasn't in the same room.

Raon poked his thigh.

"Choi Han! Are you okay? You don't look too good!"

Choi Han smiled at the young black Dragon.

"I'm fine, Raon."

"Hmm, is that so?" Raon didn't look too convinced, but decided to drop it in favor of changing the subject. "What do you think the Human is doing right now?"

Choi Han's expression stiffened slightly.

Cale was currently out with Alberu. Just the two of them.

"...they must be on a date," he subconsciously murmured.

"What's a date?"

"Oh-"

Choi Han quickly closed his mouth. He didn't mean to say that out loud.

"Choi Han! What's a date?"

"It's, well..." He bit his lower lip lightly. Raon was there the day Cale and Alberu almost kissed anyway, so it should be fine to tell him the truth, right?

"It's when two people who like each other go and spend time together."

"Ohh!" Raon gasped. "Then are we on a date as well?"

"Not exactly..."

"Why? I like you, Choi Han! Don't you like me as well?" Raon pouted. Choi Han couldn't stop himself from smiling, despite the slight bitterness in his heart. Raon was just too adorable.

"I do like you, Raon. But dating is for people who see each other as potential partner."

"Partner?"

"Yes, like someone..." Choi Han swallowed, "...someone you'd like to marry."

Raon blinked at Choi Han, processing his words.

"Will the Human and Crown Prince marry?"

Choi Han's throat felt really dry.

"...Perhaps."

Choi Han didn't have good acting skills, but even he could stop himself from showing his true feelings when the child in front of him kept asking him about the possibility of Cale and Alberu marrying.

When Cale returned with three stems of yellow roses between his fingers, Choi Han smiled.

It wasn't a fake smile, but it wasn't 100% genuine either.

"How was the outing, Cale-nim?"

"We confirmed the mole and the facility. It seems that the Duke is trying to apologize. He showed us the Ranger Brigade."

"They're alive?"

Cale nodded.

"That's a relief then," Choi Han nodded back with a satisfied smile. "And, uh, Cale-nim...?"

"What?"

"Is... that from His Highness?" Choi Han motioned at the flowers on Cale's hand.

"...yeah."

Choi Han noticed Cale's sudden glazed eyes and debated whether to ask or not.

"...Did you... enjoy the date...?"

"..."

Cale didn't answer for a moment, but the way his skin started to flush and his lips curled into a small smile, Choi Han could guess what his answer would be.

"...I suppose I did."

Cale smiled at the roses in his hand, completely missing Choi Han's complicated gaze and Raon's confused expression.

It wasn't like Choi Han hid his feelings all the time. He never was acting against it. He simply acted the way he thought he was supposed to act, and if people couldn't see his true feelings, then perhaps they weren't looking close enough.

As time passed, Choi Han continued to bury the feelings in his heart.

Instead, he watched.

He watched as Alberu tried his hardest to make sure Cale was happy and safe.

When Alberu stood in front of them as a Dark Tiger, Choi Han was livid.

Did he sacrifice his years as well? But then what about Cale? What would Cale think if he died so much sooner because of this?!

Thankfully, that didn't seem to be the case.

But it did show Choi Han some of the extent of Alberu's love. First he revealed his true self in front of Fredo, now he made a deal with the Sun God to help Cale.

Now that he thought about it, wasn't Alberu quite amazing?

He was someone who could understand Cale without much effort at all. Cale could say maybe an eighth of what he truly meant and Alberu could discern the meaning in no time.

Didn't Alberu also promise Cale his slacker life?

And didn't Alberu have more than enough resources to fulfill Cale's rich dream? (not that Cale wasn't rich by any means)

Alberu knew about Cale's transmigration secret too...

Choi Han was the first one who knew, but that wasn't by choice. Cale didn't mean for him to know. God of Death decided it for him.

While Alberu... He did go to the Sealed God's test unknowing of what awaited him, but it was still Cale's choice to tell him the whole truth.

Putting those facts together, then wouldn't it mean... that Alberu truly was the person who knew Cale the best?

——————————

"When do you think he'll pop the question?"

"What question nya?"

"If he'll marry the Emperor, of course," On turned to Hong who was tilting his head. "They've been courting for a few years now. Don't you think he'll want to marry Cale?"

Raon hummed thoughtfully. "But won't marrying Cookie Emperor mean that Human will become Empress?"

"Isn't Empress for girls nya?"

"No, the Emperor declared that it's just a title for the Emperor's partner, remember? Besides, he said that the title can change if Cale wants to change it nya."

"Oh, right nya! So what's the problem, maknae?"

"Empress has tons of duties, right?"

"Ohh!"

"You're right!"

Alberu Crossman, the first Emperor of the newly emerged Roan Empire.

Cale Henituse, the Hero and Savior of the Continents, the God's Chosen One.

What an amazing couple, right?

One would think that the Emperor would want to marry his sweetheart right away, but a few years had passed since the two began courting. The White Star was gone, the God of Despair was sealed for good, the Hunters were dealt with. Peace and prosperity were upon the continents. The Roan Kingdom became the Roan Empire, the central power of both continents.

What else could the Emperor possibly be waiting for?

The children knew the answer immediately.

"How's your slacker life, Cale?"

"Same as usual."

"Good then?"

"The best, hyung-nim!" Cale sighed contently as he buried his face on the pillow.

He was currently enjoying his dearest hyung's soft bed while said hyung sat on his desk, working on a mountain of paperwork.

Alberu chuckled at his adorable lover.

It'd been a few years since he was able to call Cale his and it still amazed him to this day. To think that a few years ago he could only dream of it...

The room was filled with silence as Alberu continued doing his work and Cale lazed around.

A few moments later, Alberu felt as though he was being watched and lifted his head. His eyes immediately caught Cale's.

"What is it?"

Cale didn't reply, but he didn't stop staring at Alberu with a stoic face.

Alberu huffed amusedly and put the pen down. He stood up and approached the bed before sitting beside the younger man who was laying down.

Wordlessly, he bent down and placed a soft kiss on his lover's lips.

At least, Alberu planned for it to be a soft kiss.

Instead, Cale caught him off guard when he slung his arms around Alberu's neck and pulled him down, rolling their bodies around until Alberu was laying down under Cale's body as Cale pressed their lips together into a much, much deeper kiss.

Alberu circled an arm around Cale's slim waist, holding the younger man against himself. His other hand came up and his fingers slipped through the silky red strands that started to escape Cale's low ponytail.

"What is it?" Alberu whispered when Cale pulled back just a little bit to catch his breath. Their faces were still very close to each other, the tips of their noses slightly touching.

"You're working too hard," Cale mumbled.

"I'm the Emperor, love. It's an occupational hazard."

Cale groaned and plopped down, hiding his face on the crook of Alberu's head. Alberu chuckled once again, but he let Cale lay on top of him without a word.

They stayed like that for a while before Cale spoke up.

"Alberu."

"Hm?" Alberu raised an eyebrow. It was unusual for Cale to call his name. Usually it'd either be hyung-nim or Your Majesty (which Alberu didn't like).

Cale sat down on Alberu's lap while the Emperor still laid down. He reached down into his pocket and shoved his hand inside. From the way his hand entered the pocket, it seemed that Eruhaben had built a spatial pocket into his clothes.

Cale then pulled out two intertwined red roses.

"Should I do it like you?"

Alberu blinked twice.

Ever since the first single stem of red rose, Alberu had given Cale a lot of roses. Most of them red. It became a habit of his to gift Cale roses. But it'd been years since he last used the flowers to convey a specific meaning aside from words of love.

It took him a few seconds to finally remember what two intertwined red roses mean.

He sat up and received the roses Cale thrusted at him.

"Are you..."

Cale didn't give him a chance to finish his words and snapped his fingers. In a blink of an eye, Alberu's bed was surrounded by a lot of red roses.

The fragrant smell of roses filled the air.

Alberu didn't know how Cale did it. Did one of the Dragons help him? Or perhaps Rosalyn? He didn't have time to ponder about it when he felt Cale pulling back and sitting on the bed, giving him space to sit down.

"Is this-"

"108 roses? Yeah."

"Cale... Are you..."

"Let's just say I'm tired of waiting," Cale huffed and looked away.

After a few years of being with Cale, Alberu could tell what Cale was thinking right away. He was pretending to be annoyed, but the flush of his skin and the shakiness in his eyes told Alberu otherwise.

Alberu smiled sadly.

He took one of Cale's hands and pressed his lips to the back of it gently.

"Cale, please believe me when I say that there's nothing I'd love more than to marry you and make the entire world aware that you are mine and I am yours."

Cale turned his head to look at Alberu, his skin still flushed red.

"Then what's stopping you?"

Alberu sighed.

"I made a promise to myself years ago."

"What promise?"

"I think it was back when you told me the White Star would come to Roan. You were always so busy and got hurt so often," Alberu started to speak, his lips curling into a soft smile.

"You wished for your dream every day, but with the way things were back then, even just getting some rest was difficult for you. SO I promised myself that when I confess, and even if by some miracle you return my feelings, I would make it his life mission to ensure that you would live a life you've always dreamed of."

"And you fulfilled it. I'm living that life right now."

"That's right," Alberu hummed. He looked down at Cale's hand and gently intertwined their fingers together.

"But Cale... Marrying me means that you'll become Empress. Even if I take over your duties, and trust me I'd do it in a heartbeat, I don't want people to come after you because of it."

Cale blinked once before blurting out, "What the hell are you talking about?"

Alberu blinked back.

"Well, the nobles will most definitely notice that I'm still doing the entirety of my duties right now and not delegate it to you, so they'd attack you."

"No, that's not what I mean! Who cares if they do?"

"What?" Alberu frowned.

Cale scoffed in disbelief, "Alberu. Do I look like I care about the nobles?"

"...ah."

"Unbelievable," Cale murmured to himself before sighing.

"Alberu Crossman."

"Yes?"

"I want to marry you."

"Ah-"

"I'm not marrying you because of the nobles. I'm not marrying you because of what people will say. I want to marry you because I love you, damn it!"

"I-"

"I love what we have now, I always have. But I want to make it official. I want everyone to take a look at you, at the ring on your finger, and immediately know that you're mine. I want them to look at my hand and know that I'm yours. You got me?"

"Cale-"

"So do you want to marry me or not?"

"CALE!"

"WHAT-"

Alberu quickly pushed a hand to Cale's mouth, cutting off his words.

"I want it."

"Hmph-?"

"I want to marry you. I want everyone to look at you and know that I'm the lucky person who got to have you sleeping beside me every night. I want everyone who sees me to think of how lucky I was that I'm the one who can call the God's Chosen One mine. I want it more than anything else."

Neither of them spoke.

Alberu moved his hand from Cale's mouth to his cheek, pulling his face until their foreheads touched.

"I wanted to be the one who asked. But it seems that I waited too long, huh?"

Cale scoffed, "Way too long."

Alberu laughed. Cale couldn't stop himself from smiling at the sound of his lover's laughter.

"I have a ring, though. Let me get it."

Alberu got off the bed and went to his desk, pulling a drawer open. He pressed a hidden button and the bottom of the drawer slid open, revealing a hidden compartment filled with only one velvet box.

He took the box out and closed the drawer, then walked back to Cale.

Alberu opened the box.

A gold band (because what else but gold would suit Cale?) engraved with a shield marking with multiple tiny diamonds encrusted on it. On the inside of the ring were the words My Moon engraved on it.

"Cale Henituse," Alberu called out with a smile. "My dearest moon. Will you marry me?"

Once again, Cale scoffed, but the smile on his face betrayed the gesture.

"You know full well the answer is yes, Your Majesty."

Alberu only chuckled and took the ring out before sliding it on Cale's ring finger. It fit Cale perfectly.

Alberu was about to say something when Cale suddenly pulled out a similar box out of his (spatial) pocket. He opened the box to reveal another gold band, but this one with a small crown marking; so subtle that you had to really look at it to tell the marking apart from the diamonds around it. On the inside was an engraving of the words My Sun.

"Alberu Crossman. Your Majesty. Hyung-nim. My Sun. Will you marry me?"

Alberu couldn't help it. He laughed joyfully.

——————————

The wedding day of the Emperor of Roan Empire and Hero of the Continents was attended by thousands of people.

Not all of them were allowed on the main venue where they exchanged their vows, but live recording of it was played on the City Plaza.

Clopeh was ecstatic. He could save the recording and put it in the Henituse Museum!

Their family and friends, who knew that both grooms usually preferred privacy, were notably quite confused by this decision. Cale finally told them the reason and they could only sigh fondly.

'I want everyone to see hyung-nim becoming mine.'

Who knew that Cale Henituse had a possessive side to him?

The wedding venue was decorated with exactly 999 of red roses and thousands of white roses. It was public knowledge that the Emperor gifted his lover with roses frequently, so it wasn't a surprise.

In the future, decorating wedding venues with 999 red roses became a tradition in the Western continent to symbolize everlasting love in a marriage.

The invitation list was filled with influential people.

As the central power of the continents, Alberu naturally invited the leaders of their allied Kingdoms and Tribes.

Queen Litana from the Jungle, Commander Toonka from Whipper Kingdom, King Rex from Mogoru Kingdom, Crown Prince Valentino from Caro Kingdom, Whale King Shickler and his heir Witira along with his son Paseton, and Queen Jopis from Molden Kingdom, just to name a few.

Not to mention the Dragons.

Alberu and Cale had a discussion on choosing who to officiate the wedding. The previous Kings had a priest officiating their weddings, usually from the Church of Sun God due to the Crossman Royal Family being known to be blessed by the Sun God. Alberu and Cale had Saint Jack who would be more than happy to do the job, but they were hesitant.

After all, both of them were quite averse to gods.

In the end, they decided to ask Eruhaben to officiate them.

No, Eruhaben definitely did not shed a tear. He really didn't.

Speaking of Eruhaben though, Alberu still shivered when he thought back to when he asked Cale's family and parental figures for permission to marry the red haired hero.

They were surprisingly quick to approve, but he did have to endure long speech and threats before he got the yes.

The hardest ones to convince were Eruhaben and Ron.

Alberu shivered again.

I got the yes, that's all that matters, he told himself. He pointedly ignored the cold stare Eruhaben was giving him as they waited for Cale to enter.

The music then started playing and everyone rose from their seats.

Raon, On, and Hong were the first to enter, throwing red flower petals with big grins. (usually it would only be a girl, but the three refused this tradition and decided to do it together)

Following behind them was Cale and his mother, Duchess Violan, hand in hand.

Alberu felt his breath hitched.

Cale looked stunning.

The white suit he wore was fitted perfectly on him. The diamonds lining his suit jacket reflected the light, making him look like he was shining. The veil slightly hid Cale's face, but it was no match for his striking red hair.

Cale decided to ask Violan to give him away (which greatly saddened Deruth, but he was also happy that Cale asked his stepmother) to break the traditions. This wedding was already a tradition-breaking fest anyway and Violan was the first mother figure he ever had, so he wanted Violan to do the deeds.

When Cale arrived at the altar, Violan gave Cale's hand to Alberu and retreated, but not before whispering bodily threats to Alberu should he ever hurt Cale.

The Emperor be damned, nobody was allowed to harm her child.

The wedding procession then continued peacefully.

At the end of the day, Cale Henituse had become Cale Crossman, Empress of the Roan Empire.

——————————

"Congratulations!"

"Congratulations, my friend!"

"Here's to the love that brought you together!"

"You look so perfect together! So happy for you!"

The newly wedded couple received every single congratulations with a smile. Despite Cale hating crowds and being the center of attention, he thought that just this once was alright. They were his family and friends who truly cared for him, after all.

If you told Cale, no, Kim Rok Soo that he'd one day be married to the love of his life and live a happy life, he'd have scoffed and thought that you were delusional.

Kim Rok Soo lived a cursed life. Nobody he loved would stay with him. Everyone always left.

His parents passed away and left him alone.

His once loving uncle was gone, replaced by an abusive man.

Lee Soo Hyuk and Choi Jung Soo, whom he grew to love, died for him.

How else was he supposed to hope for love?

But then one day, he woke up as Cale Henituse and gained a new life filled with love. The source of his curse was dealt with and he even found someone to love. He had a family who loved him. He had children to love and care for.

Lee Soo Hyuk reincarnated to this world (although he was younger than Cale now) and became part of his family again.

He could meet Choi Jung Soo regularly after threatening a god out.

And now he was married to such a wonderful man.

Cale felt very blessed as his friends surrounded him.

"Cale-nim."

"Oh, Choi Han."

"I hope through the years you become even better partners and share every possible kind of happiness life can bring," Choi Han said with a smile as he handed Cale a bouquet.

"축하합니다."

Cale smiled back.

"고마워, Choi Han."

Choi Han blinked. Before he knew it, he'd chuckled and his smile grew more genuine.

"네... 축하해요."

The blue and white-pink tea roses bouquet crinkled slightly.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Two intertwined red roses: I have something to ask you (a marriage proposal is imminent)
108 red roses: will you marry me?
999 red roses: my love will last till the end of time
Blue rose: I can't have you but I can't stop thinking about you
White tea roses with pink borders: I must confess— I'm still in love with you

I'm so sorry for the delay! As I said on the previous chapter, last Sunday (May 15) was my birthday and I wanted to update on that day. As it turned out I was out the whole day (and it wasn't even 100% a good day) so I couldn't finish the chapter and upload it :') 

Does anyone notice the meaning of the hangul? As in, why I wrote it like that?

축하합니다: "Congratulations." (formal)
고마워, Choi Han: "Thanks, Choi Han." (informal)
네... 축하해요: "Yes... Congrats." (informal)

Basically, Choi Han usually used formal speech with Cale because he respected Cale (thus the Cale-nim situation). I don't think Cale spoke to Choi Han using formal speech, though. But let's just pretend he used more-polite-than-usual tone when speaking to CH after the whole CJS memory fiasco since CH is his elder.

BUT THEN!! After CH congratulated Cale, Cale answered with an informal speech! That's because Cale thanked CH not as his nephew's friend, but as a member of CH's close family! CH got the meaning behind it and was happy that Cale thought of him as a close family like that and that he could actually understand Cale's short word like Alberu does. So he repeated his congrats again, but this time informal. This is his first step into the journey of moving on.

So many meanings just from such simple words!! Isn't language amazing??

I put some headcanons in this chapter as you can see. LSH is reincarnated as a child (I didn't specify which race, that's open for interpretation) and Cale can meet CJS the wanderer after he threatened GoD. gotta love me some god-threatening act, you know?

uhh is there anything else I need to say here? it's 8am and I haven't slept so I might miss some explanations lol

feel free to ask in the comment if anything confused you <3

Once again, thank you so so so much for reading The Meaning of Roses! see you in another fic on another day <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.1K 1.4K 11
{DROPPED! this was written long ago And I don't wanna continue it🙏🏻😭) It's basically tboah react to cale this is my au I don't know how to explain...
25.2K 1K 7
"I love you. Every last bit of you is mine and every last bit of me is yours." ~ ♡ ~ A complication of Alberu x Cale Oneshots for AlbeCale week~ Warn...
34.2K 2.1K 13
[Completed] *Spoilers Ahead for Trash of the Count's Family* *Fanfic*
9.3K 573 9
The son of a Count in Northeast of Roan Kingdom, is named Cale Henituse, had lost his mother and his father had neglected him. The once cheerful chil...