The Heretics

By MissFantasyy

BOOK THREE - promised series Espheros is inhabited by more than just the human species. Shifters and Immortal... More

Foreword
Map of Espheros
Prologue
1: Changing Tides
2: Moska
3: Closure
4: Leadership
5: Conflictions
6: Filling Holes
7: Echos
8: Customs and Culture
9: Absence
10: New Acquaintances
11: Predispositions
12: Survival
13: The Heretics
14: Assessments
15: Illusions
16: Picking Sides
17: Heritage
18: Blinding Pain
19: The Shadows
20: Down to Business
21: Relentless Assault
22: Facing the Darkness
23: Complete
24: The Influence of Bonds
25: Tied Together
26: Glow
27: Final Control
28: Training Session
29: Strategy
30: Tear of Sadness
32: Family
33: In a Fortnight
34: Complete Control
35: Invincibility
36: The Past
37: The Sermin
38: Regret
38.1: Regret
39: The Sentinels
40: Currents
41: Fooling the Illusionist
42: Echos
43: Fate
44: Darkness
45: An End to it All
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Ancients on Amazon!
Bonus Chapter

31: Heat

314 30 19
By MissFantasyy

As promised, Reagan did pick me up that same evening. He'd woken me with a soft knock on the door. Upon my incoherent grumbling sounds, Reagan entered through the double doors and made his way to the bedroom part of my U-shaped living quarters. I was about to move when he already sat onto the side of the bed, looking at me intently. Registering the drained expression on his face, it took but a moment for his exhaustion to invade me. 

"What happened between you and Deina earlier?" he inquired and reminded me of something I'd gladly nearly forgotten about, especially after needing to concentrate on the lesson. 

I sighed, feeling irritation arise. "Nothing, Reagan. Please, I am not in the mood to discuss her." 

Reagan furrowed his brows, his facial expression otherwise quite drained, not displaying any real emotion. "I saw what you were doing to her. And I felt resentment. What did she do or say to you that influenced you so?"

I pursed my lips and shook my head. I didn't want to get into this subject, especially not when I had already shown weakness in front of Reagan too many times. Deina's words had impacted me more than I cared to admit, and saying them aloud to Reagan wouldn't make me feel any better about what had transpired. 

His hand travelled to my cheek as he moved closer to me, his proximity already making my nerves tingle in anticipation. "Please, beautiful flame. I want to understand. And I'd like to make sure she won't bother you in the future." Reagan's words held a softness to them that instantly made me feel warm inside. 

I sighed, giving in. "She said you'd choose her over me." 

Saying it aloud felt ridiculous, especially looking back into his golden irises that held my gaze with ease. 

His brows furrowed lightly in irritation, and then disbelief crossed his features. "Deina surely doesn't think that?" 

Reagan's reaction caused something inside of me to stir and I backed away by instinct. My face probably displayed my hurt. 

"No, no, leiirin, please. I do believe that she said that to you, it just surprises me that she would think that way."

I threw up my arms. "What are you even talking about? It's clear she's interested in you and I haven't been here long. Gods know what the two of you have been through together or have done with each other!" 

My hand flew to my mouth, shock running through me that I'd voiced my thoughts without filter. I hadn't wanted to discuss this with him in this matter. I'd successfully forgotten about her, but now... 

"Deina and I have never been involved in any way other than as friends. We have fought many wars alongside each other. But I've never had and never will have romantic interest in her. You are my promised and I am full of pride knowing that I have the privilege of sharing the rest of my life with you."

And then Reagan kissed me, and I melted into him all too easily. It was as though his words were magic itself, pulling me into their grip, erasing any negativity. And with his words, Deina was nothing more than a regretful girl with her eyes on the wrong man. 

When Reagan and I parted, I noticed the drained expression on his face and the emotions that leaked through. 

"You feel like you've had a rough day," I commented, while his expression turned cool and rather empty. 

He nodded. "Are you up for dinner?" he asked. 

Sitting up, I winced involuntarily. My muscles were sore and I suspected that I had a dislocated shoulder that I still hadn't managed to relocate properly.

"Let me help you," Reagan muttered, well aware of my pain for he felt it too, and snapped my arm in a way that my shoulder joint cracked back into position. A wave of pain went through me and I moaned out loud. It was strange, how much adrenaline could cut off until it faded. I'd barely felt anything when sitting with Feiran, but the aftermath of it was all too evident now. 

Reagan's face was strained, though he tried hard not to show it. 

"Sorry this hurts you too," I murmured, reaching for his hand. Though he felt rather cold inside, I tried not to let it get to me. Reagan was like this when stressed out, and it had nothing to do with me. 

I needed to remind myself of that. I was good enough. And I knew that he loved me. He'd just proven it moments ago. 

"I rather hurt with you and share the burden than to have you carry it on your own."

Reagan's words warmed me from the inside once more and I shared it with him, pouring all of it into his large palms. His fingers curled around my hands, making them seem so small compared to his. 

Looking up at him, I gave him a reassuring smile. "Why don't we stay here and have someone bring up some food?"

As Reagan shook his head, I waited for him to elaborate. 

"Unfortunately, I already promised my siblings a dinner with the family. Tyrion was annoyingly adamant to have us all in one room, since we haven't really had any time to have a normal conversation." 

I wondered what Reagan meant with 'family' and if that included my siblings, as well. 

Sensing my question, Reagan answered before I had the chance to voice it aloud. "Your family is my family, as mine is yours."

Not sure how to feel about such a dinner, I decided not to dwell. Though Reece and Emmet had both been civil towards the Thrakos men and vice versa, I wasn't certain that an entire dinner would pass without any hiccups. But it didn't matter, because Tyrion was right. We hadn't really embraced the fact that we were family, now, considering that I was promised to Reagan and Kendra was to Dante. My family grew at least double its previous size, and I hadn't quite seen it as such until now. 

"I'll help you out of bed," Reagan offered and lifted me into his arms. Though my entire body hurt as my muscles were being moved, I tried to keep it inside as not to have Reagan feel it. 

"No need, leiirin, some things in the bond cannot be influenced." 

It was creepy, sometimes, how he seemed to know what I was thinking.

"Well one can try," I muttered and even earned a small smile for it. Reagan's little grin created two dimples on each cheek and made him look adorable. His golden eyes that were framed by thick, dark lashes, watched me once he placed me on my feet. Ignoring his observant look, I motioned to the dresser. "I need to get dressed."

Reagan folded his arms in front of his chest. "And?" 

I laughed at the confused facial expression he displayed and motioned to my body. "Will you give me some privacy?" 

Rolling his eyes Reagan said, "Oh please, don't be ridiculous. I've seen you in less than your underwear." 

"Yes, but this is a different setting."

Reagan scoffed. "How is this a different setting?"

"You know, we're like not close to each other and everything." 

Unfortunately, Reagan didn't back off. "And?" 

I groaned. "Keni, please, let me get dressed without distractions." 

He laughed at the new nickname I gave him. "You think calling me nice names is going to make me leave?" 

Now I folded my arms over my chest and rose an eyebrow at him for his refusal to leave and respect my privacy. "I'll start calling you bad names and force you to leave." 

His eyebrows shot up at the threat, his interest peaked. "Oh? And how do you suppose you'll do that?" Reagan took a few steps toward me. Instinctively I took the same number of steps back until my back collided with the closet. Reagan came so close that I felt his breath on my face. The ache of my muscles suddenly numbed out, overruled by excitement sizzling through my blood.

"I'll make you want me and leave you dry," someone said, and though it was my voice, it was certainly not me who said that. 

A deep chuckle went through Reagan. "I don't think you have the will to resist me," he said lowly, his head tilting down, his golden irises aflame with a fiery attraction that blazed through the both of us. 

"What if I do?" that same voice said, but I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how I managed to speak at all. 

His fingertips brushed across my forearm, sneaking up my arm, turning to the inside of my arm. Then, his touch briefly left me, only to return snaking along my collarbone. It left a trail of goosebumps behind, igniting something in the pit of my stomach that made my entire body come alive. 

"What if I just undress you myself?" His voice was an entire octave deeper than before and a static tension became tangible around us, the air buzzing with more electricity. His hands moved to the hem of my shirt, lifting it up painfully slowly. 

Frozen, I stood there, my mind racing with thoughts of how I would prove to him that I could resist him. 

The problem was...

I didn't want to. 

I was at a loss of words, overwhelmed by how quickly our interaction turned from teasing to... wanting. I felt his need to touch me and it doubled, coming from the both of us. It intensified every emotion, every sensation. 

Smirking, as Reagan realised instantly what his height and proximity did to me, he lowered his head more. When his lips brushed across mine, I was lost and my will completely succumbed to him. 

I was utterly lost in the need to touch him, and have him touch me, in every way physically possible. Heat went through my bloodstream like steam running through pipes, heating the walls up without feeling heavy. 

The electricity made my head spin. 

His lips moved with mine in perfect sync. His invitation to invade my mouth automatically triggered my hands to run along his body until one found its way up into his curly hair. His own trailed down mine, feeling every curve, to rest on my hips. Pressing myself into him, it was like my curves melted into his edges and fit like two pieces of a puzzle that simply belonged together. 

The passion with which we kissed each other turned my mind blank with the exception of a single thought. 

It rang in both my head and his, very clearly. 

I want you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.1K 29
(**Violence in some parts**) Abused physically and mentally. Diana takes it all for her sister Emma, the only blood related person she has left. She...
34.6K 3.3K 23
(Read Book 1: Blood Rider first! This is the second book of the series.) The war with the Queen of Linos is over, and Eli is content in the land of e...
4.5M 231K 50
With Alyssa stuck behind enemy lines and the fate of the pack hanging, tensions are higher than ever in this final installment of the Fatal Trilogy. ...
222K 8.6K 32
You may have read stories with the same kind of plot but I have some plot twists here and there in mind, so read on to see what is in store. Rose Ki...