The Open Coffin: Prelude to M...

By XelaJR_57

A congressional candidate is murdered, and the next target is his political rival. Police Detective Homer Alm... More

The Open Coffin: Prelude to Murder
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31

CHAPTER 24

19 5 0
By XelaJR_57

                Myra couldn't hide her fear when she learned that the people who want to kill her husband were still on the loose. Whenever Glenn was on the campaign trail, fear engulfs her whole being. She feared that one of these days, Glenn would be brought home with bullets in his head. Because of these nagging thoughts, she was always stressful. When she learned that Glenn refused to cancel his campaign rally in Urdaneta, she tried her best to dissuade him.

"Please cancel this rally in Urdaneta, Glenn. Your life is in grave danger," she begged.

But Glenn was firm in his decision, "I can't, Myra. Canceling the rally for the second time is not a good idea. The Governor and Vice Governor will be there. You know that they are throwing their full support for my candidacy."

"But you might get killed," Myra persisted.

"Nobody's going to die. Look, I'll be fine. I have tripled my security, and besides Mayor Edward Cordero assured me that every nook and cranny of the sports complex would be fully secured. Everyone coming in would be thoroughly searched for weapon. So there's nothing to worry about," Glenn assured her.

"But what if..."

Glenn pressed his index finger across Myra's lips, "Shhh! I'll be fine. I'm gonna be the next congressman of the fifth district of Pangasinan."

Myra had no other option but to hold her peace. She knew that persuading Glenn was an exercise of futility. If Glenn was determined on doing something, no amount of discouragement can stop him. Myra had to admit that she admired Glenn for his strong determination—for having an iron will to do what he intended to do despite any adversity. However, she had also to admit that such disposition scared her, for she knew that it could also endanger his life.

"Well, I'll just pray that you will be safe," she said.

"You can hope for that Darling," Glenn lovingly kissed her lips.

Myra's anxiety dissipated for a moment, and that gave her a sense of relief. However, she was aware that the nagging thought of her husband's possible assassination would recur. It's like a ghost that kept of appearing and reappearing. She felt that she was nearing the edge, and that was driving her crazy. How she wished that elections would disappear forever! Then Glenn would not be risking his life for a congressional seat. But the election cycle must go on...until God knows when.

Back in Camanang, Jonas Santos and Reuben Lacerna parked their squad car at spot in the farm where the car could not be easily seen. It was at the back of the hut. Jonas examined the hut and estimated it to be five meters long, three meters wide and about five meters high. It's body was made of bamboo with a thatched roofing. It was a typical hut found in typical barangay. One of its windows was facing directly the Camba rest house. From that window, one can clearly see any activity in that resthouse, except when it got dark. For this reason, Jonas and Reuben needed pairs of night goggles, which they did not have. In Urdaneta, every cop in the field was issued a pair of night goggles, a hand-held radio for communication, and a paralyzer, a twelve-inch long device used by cops in handling suspects who violently resisted arrest. It paralyzed the struggling suspect for thirty seconds. Since Jonas and Reuben were detailed in the office, they were not issued those gadgets, except their service pistols. So the only remedy was for them to walk a little bit closer to the south in order to have a clearer view of the house. Anyway, there were some trees to the south of the hut, and that was enough to conceal them from Anthony's eyes just in case he happened to look around. It was now past six o'clock in the evening, and darkness started to settle. Jonas and Reuben positioned themselves behind the trees about fifteen meters away from the rest house. Jonas would watch the front yard, while Reuben would monitor the back yard. They knew that there were only two entry points of the rest house: the front door and the back door. From where they were, they could clearly see anyone coming from the east or west of the rest house. There were still trees ahead of them, so they decided to move closer to the house. Now they had a much clearer view of their surroundings. There they watched and waited.

Then Reuben Lacerna said in a low voice, "Hey Jonas. I think one of us should go back to the hut. Detective Almendares and his two companion cops might back any moment from now. They might be looking for us if they don't see us there."

"Okay, I'll go back. Be alert, buddy," Jonas Santos stood and hurriedly went back to the hut.

Sure enough, Homer, Christopher and Samson were already in the hut. Each of them had flash lights because it was already dark.

"Where are they?" it was Christopher Viray who spoke when they couldn't see Reub en Lacerna and Jonas Santos.

Homer saw someone coming. He aimed his flashlight at the incoming figure. Then he recognized him to be Jonas Santos.

Jonas spoke as soon as he recognized Homer, "Reuben and I went closer to the rest house because we could hardly see it and its vicinity. There were trees there that could conceal us. That's where we positioned ourselves."

"I think we need night goggles. Can we request these from Major Obrero?" Homer asked.

"We can Sir," Jonas replied.b

"Okay, you and Reuben should have your dinner at Chairman Nikki's house. We'll take your posts while you dine," was Homer's advice. He knew that SPO1s Lacerna and Santos were already hungry and that they need to take a bite.

When the two Urdaneta cops left for Chairman Nikki's house for dinner, Christopher Viray took Jonas's place, while Samson Aquino took Reuben's. Homer took his position a little further to the west where a clump of bananas was situated. There he concealed himself. The night was hot and Homer had to bring out his hankerchief to wipe the sweat off his face. During this time of the year in the Philippines, the temperature could rise to more than forty degrees celcius. The months of April and May are the hottest. It was the evening of April 30, 2082. That means three more days to go before Buencamino would launch his campaign in Urdaneta. Homer remembered that the town fiesta of Alcala had started. He concluded that on May 2, the peak of the fiesta, Glenn Buencamino would be one of the political luminaries who would be invited in the coronation night. The Miss Alcala is, by Alcala tradition, crowned on the night of May 2. Last year, Miss Alcala 2081 was crowned by Congressman Joseph Rivera. His third and final term would end on June 3o, 2082.

"Who would be the crowning guest this time?" Homer thought. Then he froze:what if Glenn would be invited as the crowning guest and keynote speaker? Hell, there's the possibility that the Cambas would take him down right in his hometown!

Instinctively, Homer brought out from his pocket his cellphone. He had to call Attorney Glenn Buencamino to find out if he would be attenting the coronation rites. A few seconds later, he heard Glenn's phone ringing. After a couple of rings, Glenn's voice came through.

"Hello, Detective. What's up?"

"Sorry for disturbing you Sir, but I just want to know if you're attending the coronation night for Miss Alcala," Homer said.

"Why do you ask? Let me guess. You're afraid that I would be risking my ass if I attend. Am I right?"

"That's correct Sir," Homer nodded his head as if Glenn was physically present.

"No, I'm not attending. I've got my hands full on May 2. I have to host dozens visitors mostly my relatives and Myra's. My younger brother has just arrived from Germany, and he's at home in Manila right now. He will be coming to Alcala on May 2. Then I have to host Congressman Rivera and his aides at night. So I can't attend the coronation night."

"Okay, I got it, Sir," Homer breathed a sigh of relief, and Glenn heard that.

"Happy now Detective?" Glenn laughed at the thought of Homer feeling relieved.

"You bet I am Sir. Okay I've gotta go. Good night Sir," Homer hanged up.

Homer smiled at himself. At least Glenn would be safe on May 2. But what about on May 3? His smile suddenly disappeared.

"Damn!" he muttered, "I must get those bastards before they get Attorney Buencamino. This is my last case, and I'll be damned if I don't get those sons of bitches!"

It was almost eight o'clock when Reuben Lacerna and Jonas Santos returned. Homer noticed that Jonas was approaching him. He was holding a flashlight.

"Our flashlights might betray our presence," Homer commented as Jonas stopped by his side.

"That's why we need night goggles Sir. I can go back to the headquarters tomorrow and ask Major Obrero to provide each one of us night goggles," Jonas said as he turned off the flashlight he was holding.

"Well SPO1 Santos, why don't you and Lacerna get some sleep, then relieve us at twelve?" it was rather an order rather than a suggestion by Homer.

Jonas nodded his head, "Okay, Sir." Then he left for the hut. Homer watched him disappear in the dark.

At that moment, Anthony had a big problem. He could not sleep because swarms of mosquitos kept on attacking him. He had no mosquito net or a mosquito coil to drive the damned insects away. So he had to smoke stick after stick to ward off the mosquitos.

He began to swear, "Shit! The goddamned crab might get me!"

This was because he always read on the pack of the cigarettes: Smoking Causes Cancer. Of course, he knew the bad consequences of smoking, but it was very hard for him to kick the habit. He went out of the hut and looked around him. It was pitch dark—and damn hot. He wanted to build fire, but he hesitated. The fire might attract attention, so he abandoned the idea. Next he contemplated on going back to the rest house and get his mosquito net. But it was too dark. He cursed himself for forgetting his flashlight. Perhaps, he should wait for the moon to rise, but it didn't. It was a cloudy night.

"Damn it!" he cried.

Then he remembered his lighter. Yes, he could use hiss lighter to light his way. He tried flicking his lighter, but the hot wind blew off the flame.

"Double damned it!" he cried anew.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 105 15
How do you solve a murder when you cannot reveal you are an undercover detective? The development of time travel undermined most traditional religio...
3.6K 528 38
WATTYS 2021 SHORT LIST**HEART AWARDS FOURTH PLACE. FORMER #1 PROCEDURAL. Detective John Robin discovers the murdered body of the hotshot homicide chi...
163K 5.9K 8
A beautiful young woman was missing. I knew I had a murder. I even had a suspect. But would I ever find the body? Would I ever be able to arrest the...
56 0 10
A notorious terrorist who is assumed dead suddenly reappears......and is killed again. But that is only the beginning. The second killing sets off a...