The Open Coffin: Prelude to M...

By XelaJR_57

A congressional candidate is murdered, and the next target is his political rival. Police Detective Homer Alm... More

The Open Coffin: Prelude to Murder
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31

CHAPTER 23

14 5 0
By XelaJR_57

Major Dennis Obrero had been the PNP Chief of Urdaneta for almost four years. He stood 6 feet and three inches tall. During his cadetship at Philippine National Police Academy, he was a member of the basketball team of the Academy. Playing point guard for his team, he led his school in winning five championship in the National Basketball League. He was the league's most valuable player three times and was a member of the mythical five six times. His illustrious carrer ended when he graduated from the Academy. He served in the intelligence unit of the Urdaneta PNP for 3 years until he was elevated to the position of Chief of Police in 2076.

Major Obrero was surprised to see Chairman Nikki and his companions coming to his office. The last time that he rubbed elbows with the Barangay Camanang's chairman was almost two years ago. But that was understandable because of the nature of their work. Both were public servants, and as such, they had no time for friendly socialization.

"Hey, compadre," he greeted as he met Chairman Nikki and his companions, "what a surprise! What brought you here?" Then he turned his attention to Homer and said, "Detective Almendares, how are you?"

Chairman Nikki looked at Major Obrero and then Homer, "You know each other?"

"Of course, compadre," Major Obrero said laughing, "Homer's reputation as a great detective goes beyond the borders of Pangasinan."

"Major, you're pulling my leg," Homer laughed. Then he introduced to the major Viray and Aquino, "by the way meet SPO1's Christopher Viray and Samson Aquino of PNP Dagupan."

"Nice meeting you, gentlemen. How's my dear friend Major Allan John?" Major Obrero said.

"You know our chief, Sir?" Viray asked.

"Of course. We always rub elbows whenever we have conferences," Major Obrero said. "Well, come, take your seats."

As soon as they were settled, Major Obrero asked, "So what can I do for you?"

It was Homer who explained the purpose of their visit. He began, "I'm sure that you're already familiar with the Julian Casimero murder case. I'm tasked to track down the killers, and with the help of Chief Inspector David Arceo, I was able to come up with suspects. Now, the same suspects are out to kill Attorney Buencamino. I have reason to believe that Victor and Vincent Camba are behind the killing. The motive of the killing is revenge."

"Revenge? For what?" Major Obrero asked.

"About ten years ago, Benjamin Camba, the youngest brother of Victor and Vincent, and another guy Leandro Buya were charged of murdering Teodoro Climaco, owner of a casino in Dagupan. Buya was represented by Attorney Buencamino, while Benjamin Camba took Attorney Casimero as his defense counsel. Unfortunately, they lost their case. The Regional Trial Court of Dagupan found them guilty of murder and meted them a life sentence. The Cambas thought that Buencamino and Casimero that they did not do their best in defending their clients. They accused them for accepting bribe from the plaintiff in order to deliberately lose their case. So the Cambas wanted revenge for what they thought as the unjustifiable incarceration of Leandro and Benjamin."

"And you think that these bastards are here in Urdaneta?" Major Obrero asked.

"Actually, I'm coming to that," Homer replied, "Now let me continue. We were able to track down the whereabouts of the Cambas. They, and two other people, have checked in at Manaoag Hotel. Through the help of SPO3 Alexander De Vera, we were able to monitor their movement by planting a bug in their room. Through the bug, we were able to hear their plan of killing Attorney Buencamino. We were about to make an arrest, but the bastards managed to slip away. De Vera triangulated their whereabouts, and we found out that they escaped to Camanang. We believe that someone accomodated them there, and we also believe that this someone had warned them about our presence in that barangay. That's why they managed to escape again. We identified that someone as Anthony Galso. When we questioned him, I detected lies in his answers. He seemed to be hiding something. Now we want to pick him up for further interrogation, but we can't do it because Urdaneta is not within our jurisdiction. That's why we came to you for assistance."

"In other words," Major Obrero said, "you want me to dispatch some Urdaneta cops to pick him up."

"That's right, Major. Can you help us?" Homer replied.

"Okay, I can assign two cops to pick him up. Where can we find this Anthony Galso?"

"We can show you where he lives," Chairman Nikki said.

"Then, I will order SPO2 Reuben Santos and Jonas Lacerna to go with you. Okay?"

"Thank you, Major," Homer clasped Major Obrero's hand as a gesture of his appreciation.

"Thank you, Compadre," Chairman Nikki extended his hand to Major Obrero, "and extend my regards to Comadre."

"You're all welcome. If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask me," Major Obrero took out a calling card from his drawer and handed it to Chairman Nikki.

SPO2 Reuben Santos and Jonas Lacerna used their squad car in going to Camanang. They followed Homer's car driven this time by Samson Aquino. Homer had to ask Aquino to man the wheels because he had to call his friend Chief Inspector David Arceo.

"Hello, Homer. What can I do for you, buddy?" Arceo's usual pleasant voice came through.

"Yes. Buddy. I know that you are from Bued, Calasiao, and I was thinking if you know a guy named..." Homer paused for a while to recall the name.

"Hello, Homer, are you still there?" Arceo tried to elicit a response from Homer when the latter paused.

"Sorry, buddy. I forgot the name so I had to ask Viray. Okay, here we go. The name is Vicente Combis. This guy is allegedly from your place and he is supposed to own a resthouse in Camanang, Urdaneta."

"Did you say Vicente Combis?"

"Yes, buddy. Vicente Combis," Homer repeated, "do you know him?"

"Yes, I know him, but he's been dead for many years—he died when I was in my senior years in the high school. He was a poor man living on a meager SSS pension. So it's impossible for him to own a resthouse in Urdaneta. Besides, people in Bued have already forgotten his memory, except his few relatives."

"Is that so? Well, thanks for the information, buddy."

"Why did you ask about old Vicente? Does he have to do with your investigation?"

"Yes, buddy. Listen, I've got to go now. I'll keep you posted regarding the case I'm working on. Thanks," Homer hanged up and looked at his three companions nodding his head.

"Bingo! That goddamned Galso indeed lied to us. This Vicente Combis have been dead for many years. I wonder how this son of a bitch Anthony got that name! But I got him this time!" he exclaimed in triumph. He felt that, at last, he was nearing to the end of the case.

Chairman Nikki, Viray and Aquino cheered in chorus, "You got him this time!"

Homer stepped on the gas. He was really in a hurry to get Anthony Galso and extract more information from him. The two Urdaneta cops, SPO2 Reuben Santos and Jonas Lacerna noticed that the car they were following increase its speed, so Reuben Santos, who was behind the steering wheel also stepped on the gas to catch up with Homer and company. In a few minutes, they were now entering Barangay Camanang. Homer's car was still leading the way. A few more minutes and they came closer to Chairman Nikki's farm. Then an unpaved road came to their view. They turned right and they were now headed to the Cambas's resthouse. It was about four o'clock in the afternoon.

As soon as they stopped their cars, Homer, Chairman Nikki and the rest of the group headed to the empty house. Chairman Nikki called out Anthony, but there was no answer. He called again. No answer.

Homer said, "Looks like he's not around."

He knocked on the door repeatedly, but no one answered. He tried to open the door; it was locked. He walked to the nearby window and peered. No one was inside.

"The son of a bitch is not at home," he told his companions. Chairman Nikki, followed by the two Urdaneta cops, walked around the house. He saw the garage partly open. One of the cops, Lacerna, peered into the garage. It was empty.

Jonas Santos commented, "I reckon that our subject is not around. He might have seen us coming, or somebody warned him so he took off."

It was then that Homer, Viray and Aquino came around. Chairman Nikki told them that Anthony might have took off.

"Shit" Homer swore. He had the feeling that he was outwitted again.

"Hey, take a look at this," it was Reuben Lacerna. He was pointing at something on the ground.

Homer and the rest crowded over the object which Lacerna was pointing. It was a cigarette butt, and it still looked fresh.

"I think he's just left. But where?" Homer looked around then ahead of him. There was another field planted with corn before him, and beyond were trees, most probably ipil-ipi trees. If Anthony saw them coming, he might have took off to the corn field then to the line of ipil-ipil trees. Most probably he suspected that Homer and the rest might return and subject him further into questioning, and he was afraid he might break.

Homer commented, "I have the suspicion that the bastard was trying to avoid us."

"You know," Aquino spoke caressing his chin,"I remember a case in Bonoan, where a thirty-year old balut vendor was accused of sexually harassing a fifteen-year old girl. Actually they were neighbors. The man allegedly fondled the girl's breast while she was buying balut. The girl told his parents what this balut vendor had done to her. The parents filed a complaint in the barangay. The man was summoned by the barangay. Well, the man admitted his guilt and asked apology to the parents and to the girl. To appease the parents, the man offered to pay some damages, which the parents accepted.But the whole incident spread like a wildfire in the barangay so that the man had no face to go out. Hence, he would leave home very early in the morning when everybody was still asleed, and come back when it was already dark so that his neighbors might not see him and become the object of gossip. He did that for a couple of months until the incident was totally forgotten by the neighborhood."

"So what are you suggesting,Samson?" Homer looked at him with keen interest.

"I'm thinking that this Anthony Galso might hide somewhere else during the day and come back here when it's already dark. I suggest, therefore, that we secretly keep an eye of this house just in case he returns," Aquino explained.

"Another stake out eh?" Homer smiled at the idea of another stake out.

"Why not Sir?" Aquino grinned. He really liked the idea he brought out.

"Okay, then let's do it. Let's just hope that the son of a bitch did not take off far away." Homer said.

"He has nowhere else to go. He will come back," Chairman Nikki commented.

Jonas Lacerna said, "In that case, I and Pare Reuben might be of assistance in the stake out."

"I am willing," Reuben happily agreed, "I'm sick and tired doing those damned paper works. I want a real police job, and I'll be damned if I squander this once-in-a-life-time opportunity."

"Well, welcome to the club Buddy," Aquino laughed and gave Jonas a high five, "Before this case, I and Samson were detailed in the headquarters doing those Goddamned paper works."

"Okay, boys, your wish shall be granted," Homer smiled as he saw the excitement on the faces of the four city cops. "Nikki, can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure. What is it?" Chairman Nikki said.

"Will you allow us to use your bathroom? I and my two friends Viray and Aquino need a shower."

"Of course, my friend. My house is open for you," Chairman Nikki tapped Homer's shoulder.

"Okay, here's what we're gonna do. Viray, Aquino and I will take a shower and don fresh clothes. Jonas and Reuben will take the first watch. We'll be back here shortly after, then we shall take over to allow you to have your dinner. Relieve us at twelve o'clock. That will allow you to have a few hours of sleep."

Chairman Nikki said, "I have a hut over there," he pointed to a hut not far away, "you can watch from there. It has an ideal distance from this resthouse."

The hut was about thirty meters away to the north. It was far enough so as an observer cannot be easily seen and close enough to monitor any activity in the resthouse.

"That's a perfect place," Jonas Lacerna commented.

"Wait a second,amigo," Chairman Nikki told Homer, "you can have your dinner at home—all of you. I will be your host until this thing is over."

Homer clasped Chairman Nikki's hand, "Thanks amigo. I owe you one."

"Aw come on, don't worry about that. Now, do you have spare clothes? I can lend you some."

"Yes we have," Homer replied.

"Then, let's go," chairman Nikki pointed at Homer's car. Then he looked at Jonas and Reuben, "There's the hut. Just follow the main road until you see a bamboo gate to your left. I think the gate is open so you can just drive in until you get to the hut. There you can take your post."

"Copy that, Chairman," Jonas said as he looked at the hut. He and Reuben walked to their squad car, and waited for Homer's car to move away. Then the two Urdaneta cops drove to the hut located at the southern end of Chairman Nikki's farm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.3K 401 3
[2022 Wattys Shortlist] [2023 Wattpad Editors' Choice] Previously "Wicked Lies" Melissa Hale, daughter of Senator Hale, was murdered. Christopher Wil...
704 39 18
When Joe's girlfriend is killed in a blast of a terrorist bomb, Frank and Joe Hardy pursue a ruthless terrorist leader, the infamous Al-Rousasa, who...
35K 3.2K 28
Unjustly accused of murder, the Demon of Wrath joins forces with the Archangel of Justice to find the true culprit. ____ Sannarah lives from one dead...
68 1 12
The city of Irongate just had a shocking news. The newly-elected mayor has been murdered on the first hour of his first day at work. The good old Det...