Lexi's Final Year

By ElizabethSarahL

Alexandra "Lexi" Cole is eager to start her senior year at New York University. With a promising year on the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Chapter 18

4 0 0
By ElizabethSarahL

Cassie frowned as she tried to intensely concentrate on her laptop screen. She was knee-deep in working on a project for one of her classes, and it wasn't as easy as she had anticipated. It contained many variables that made it more taxing and complicated than it had any right to be.

"Here you go, partner."

She looked up to find Johnathan smiling as he handed her a large black coffee. The project in question had the entire class working in pairs, and Johnathan had suggested that the two of them work together. Cassie was quick to accept his offer. While he appeared to be too laid back to take school seriously, he did care about his studies almost as much as Cassie. They always worked well together, so pairing up on this specific project was ideal.

"Thanks, partner," she replied as she took her first sip. She frowned as the hot liquid stung her mouth, but didn't care.

"How's the project looking?" Johnathan asked while drinking his coffee.

Cassie's frown deepened. "This one's a real pain in the ass."

"I agree," Johnathan chuckled. "Maybe you should take your eyes off it for a bit. We've been at it for over an hour now."

"But it needs to be done," Cassie argued.

Johnathan was quick to nod in agreement. "I'm not suggesting that we don't finish it today— I think we should too. But I also think that we should take a small break. It'll help you clear your mind, Cassie."

Despite her concerns over the project, Cassie decided not to argue with him. She took another sip of her searing coffee as her frown lightened up. "This semester has been so stressful," she remarked.

"I'd have to agree with that sentiment," Johnathan said with another chuckle. "But we've got this. We're gonna do well."

Cassie couldn't bring herself to nod in agreement. "I just want it to be over. I need to pass this semester so badly."

"I thought you were doing well?"

"I am, but... UGH, you don't get it, Johnathan! We have these projects to ace, and then we have final exams to worry about. I have to finish this semester strong if I wanna get into my dream grad program here at NYU."

"But you are gonna well."

"How do you even know?"

Johnathan paused to sip his coffee. "From what I've seen, you've always worked your ass in the classes we've shared. I'm sure that's how you are in all your other classes too. I think you've always done better on projects and tests than I have."

Cassie baulked at this notion. "I don't know about that."

"I think so," Johnathan insisted, his light brown eyes narrowed ever so slightly. "You're gonna do well, okay? I know you will."

"Johnathan—"

"There's nothing you can say that will change my mind, Cassie. I believe in you."

Even as he gave her this boost of encouragement, Cassie's stomach was still in a knot over the rest of the semester. But she decided to keep her mouth shut about her true feelings anymore. Johnathan wasn't going to agree with her words, so why bother arguing about the matter any further?

I can't let this semester get to me, she thought. I need to talk about this with Dr. Rich, or else I'm gonna break down before finals roll around.

***

Lexi and Isaac's second anniversary took place several weeks later on December 10th. It fell on a Saturday this year, so the couple had the whole day to do whatever they wanted to celebrate. But unfortunately for them, that wasn't going to happen. Lexi had to work a mid-day shift at Barnes & Noble that day, and Isaac desperately needed to finish up a final assignment for one of his classes.

"Let's do dinner at Jenny's for 5:30 PM," Lexi had suggested the day before. "And then after that...whatever happens, happens."

"That works for me," Isaac had replied. "Wear something sexy too, okay?"

Now that she was back in her apartment after getting off work, Lexi scanned her closet for that "something sexy" for tonight's anniversary dinner. While she wanted to wear such an outfit, she still had to keep in mind that the frigid winter weather had hit New York City earlier than anyone wished. Several feet of snow covered the city and the temperature had plummeted to beyond icy cold. She wanted to wear something sexy, but she also didn't want to freeze her ass off in the name of making her boyfriend happy.

Lexi eventually settled on her favourite black jeans and a bright red V-neck cable knit sweater. The style of her sweater helped show off just a hint of cleavage. It was perfect for tonight's date.

Once she finished sorting out her outfit, she turned her attention to her hair and makeup. She had already showered this morning and had only put on the tiniest bit of makeup. She added some more to freshen up her face and help her to appear awake.

I don't think Isaac will care too much about how my hair or makeup looks, Lexi thought as she brushed her wavy hair. He'll be too happy to see me to even care.

Despite thinking this, she still wanted to leave him impressed and happy to call her his girlfriend. She opted to wear a bright red lacey bra and panties underneath tonight's outfit— his favourite. It matched her sweater perfectly and gave her an extra shot of confidence.

Lexi glanced at her phone for the time— it was just before five o'clock. She left the apartment after bidding Nikita goodbye to make the journey to Jenny's.

It was quarter after five when Lexi arrived at the diner to find Isaac already waiting for her. She paused from a distance to take in his appearance. His puffy navy blue jacket covered most of his frame, but he still looked as handsome as ever. His hair was in short neat waves that were tame, most likely with the help of pomade. While Lexi liked his hair neat or messy, something about seeing it looking nice caused her to smirk.

I can't wait to mess it up tonight, she thought before hustling over to him.

"Hey!" Isaac greeted before hugging Lexi tight.

"Nice to see you again," she said while returning the hug.

The couple raced inside Jenny's to get away from the biting cold. They were seated at a booth within a few minutes of them entering.

"It always feels so nostalgic to be back here," Lexi remarked once she took her coat off and hung it up. "I love it."

"So do I," Isaac replied with a warm smile, his coat also off. "You look beautiful, by the way."

Lexi blushed. "Thanks, babe. You look really handsome too."

"Oh, thank you," Isaac said while blushing also. He had on a navy sweater and dark blue jeans.

The couple laughed just as their server arrived to take their order.

"So," Lexi said once their server left, "we've officially been together for two years."

Isaac sighed in disbelief. "Can you believe it?"

"I certainly can. I'm so happy, babe."

"I know things haven't always been easy between us, but I'm so, so happy that we're together. I love you so much, Lexi."

"I love you too, Isaac. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Isaac blushed even more. "Lexi...I'm so happy to hear you say that."

Lexi smiled as she rested her hand on his. She then leaned over and gave him a sweet kiss on his lips. They felt warm and inviting like always, making her melt with ease.

"I know there have been some bad times," she said, "but there have been a lot of good times that more than make up for it."

"That's true," Isaac remarked as they received their drinks. "Like our first date here. Yeah, I was a total disaster, but we still had a good time."

"You were nervous, not a total disaster," Lexi clarified with a soothing voice. "I enjoyed our first date."

"Well, I'm glad," Isaac said with a relieved laugh. "Remember when we accidentally coordinated our Halloween costumes at the Halloween party we had our sophomore year? You were a flapper, and I was a gangster."

Lexi's blue-green eyes brightened up at the memory. "Oh my God, I totally remember that! We looked so damn good."

"Definitely," Isaac chuckled.

"How about the night I asked you to be my boyfriend?" Lexi recalled. "God, you wanna talk about being a total disaster? I couldn't shut up when I tried to ask you! I just kept rambling like a weirdo."

Isaac burst into a fit of loud laughter. "Christ, I remember that! I guess we're meant for each other, huh?"

Lexi blushed violently at that remark. She smiled softly while gazing into his dark brown eyes. "I think so too."

"I also remember you taking me to Central Park for our first Valentine's Day."

"How about last year, when we celebrated that and your birthday?"

Now Lexi was blushing harder than ever. "I liked the date...but I loved what happened after at The Bell's Hotel."

Isaac smirked. "Maybe something like that will happen again in the future."

"Maybe," Lexi remarked right before their food arrived.

The couple ate their dinner in between more small talk. Lexi made a point to take one foot and nudge Isaac's feet. She smirked at him to make it clear that the move had been intentional. He flashed a sneaky grin in response.

"The food is still good as ever," Lexi said in an attempt to steer the conversation in a different direction.

"It is," Isaac replied. "I'd actually like to propose a toast if you don't mind."

"Oh?"

"Here's to us, and our relationship lasting for two years now. Happy anniversary."

"Happy anniversary, babe."

The couple clinked their water glasses to celebrate the special occasion. They then resumed eating their meals.

"I'm glad we were able to go out tonight," Lexi said with a smile on her face.

"Same," Isaac responded. "I know we've been busy; me with school, and you with both school and work. So, the fact that we were able to go out tonight to celebrate our anniversary— and on the day of, no less— is awesome."

"It definitely is," Lexi commented. "I've been working a couple of extra shifts at Barnes & Noble recently so I could make some extra money to buy Christmas gifts."

"That's good," Isaac said with a nod. "Oh, I've been meaning to ask— has your book been picked up for publication yet?"

Lexi shook her head. "I'm gonna wait 'til exams are over before I send Mandy an email for an update. Things will probably be slow due to the holidays, but a follow-up couldn't hurt."

"Makes sense. How are you feeling about it?"

"Ugh... I'm nervous as hell, I'm not gonna lie. I can't really do anything except wait it out and hope things work in my favour."

Isaac grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "I wish I could help somehow. All I can say is that I support you and I believe in you. I know you're gonna get published."

"Thank you, baby," Lexi said with a sweet smile.

With the meal finally over, the couple split the bill before leaving Jenny's.

"I have a little surprise for you," Isaac revealed once they were outside. "Do you trust me?"

"Of course I do," Lexi answered. She furrowed her eyebrows with confusion but decided against asking any more questions.

She followed Isaac to the subway, which they got on with a few minutes to spare.

"Now I'm a little nervous," she admitted.

"Don't be," Isaac insisted with a sly grin. "You'll recognize the place."

Lexi raised her eyebrows. "I will?"

"You will trust me."

About 15 minutes later, they reached their destination and left the subway. Isaac promptly directed them to a location was relatively familiar with— The Bell's Hotel.

"Isaac, you didn't."

"Of course I did."

Lexi let out a shocked laugh. "Thank you, babe."

The couple didn't waste any time once inside their room. They made out and ripped each other's clothes off with reckless abandon. They quickly ended up on the bed before instigating their lovemaking. The room filled with moaning and the wooden headboard hitting the wall off and on from the bed rocking. It felt as though it last forever, even though that wasn't the case.

When it finally ended, Lexi and Isaac lay in bed side by side in a sweaty heap. They both tried to catch their breath for several minutes after their intense lovemaking had ceased. Eventually, Isaac pulled her close to his chest and kissed her head. His nose tickled the top of her head, causing her to giggle.

"God, I love you so much," he mumbled into her now tangled long hair.

"I love you more."

"Not possible."

Lexi giggled again before rolling over to rest on her stomach. She ran one hand through his now messy hair with an amused grin. Her eyes remained fixated on his face as she continued playing with his dark brown locks. His gaze locked onto hers while a grin crept over him.

Isaac pulled the covers up to keep them warm as his eyes wandered over his girlfriend's petite frame. He kissed her head again, making Lexi smile wider.

"Happy anniversary," she remarked.

"Happy anniversary," Isaac said. He then smirked again. "So...round two? Are you down?"

Lexi returned a smirk of her own. "I thought you'd never ask, babe."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

384K 6.3K 52
(Book two of the rollercoaster love series) Welcome to the continuation of Leia and Nick's story, a continuation of my take on the cliche (albeit awe...
903 136 36
When 18 year-old Lexi's past starts to repeat itself she throws herself into her new job in order to save enough money to get away from it. Who knows...
268K 5.9K 75
Maddie and Mason are about to head off to NYU for university. They both got in and Maddie is going into photography after she's realized she loves it...
1.5K 95 37
Living in New York City with your best friend calls for an endless amount of fun, right? Wrong. Meet Colette Abernathy and Niki Corbyn, two best fr...