Lexi's Final Year

Par ElizabethSarahL

Alexandra "Lexi" Cole is eager to start her senior year at New York University. With a promising year on the... Plus

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Chapter 14

3 0 0
Par ElizabethSarahL

Lexi found herself riding high the next day. When Isaac had texted her yesterday that his parents had agreed to have her over for Thanksgiving dinner, it left her in the best mood. She wanted to continue to prove to them that she loved Isaac and was serious about their relationship. She hoped that spending more time with them would help do that.

As she sat in the lecture hall of her last class of the week, Lexi tried to stay focused on the topic at hand. She didn't want next week's plans to cloud her mind and distract her. She focused solely on the lecture, taking careful notes throughout.

By the mid-point of class, the professor decided to give students a 30-minute break instead of the normal 15-minute break. Due to this change, it would be the only break of the lecture, and he also planned to let class out early today. Lexi decided to get out of her seat to stretch her legs.

When she grabbed her phone to take it with her, she saw that someone was calling her. The number had a New York City area code, but she didn't recognize it. She hustled out of the lecture hall and away from other students to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hi, may I please speak to Miss Alexandra Cole?" a young woman asked.

"She's speaking," Lexi said in a wary voice. "May I please ask who's calling?"

"This is Mandy Hall of Write House Agency. How are you today?"

Lexi's blue-green eyes went wide. She remembered Write House Agency when she had created a list of literary agents to query last month. They were a small talent agency based in Manhattan that specialized in representing artists, authors, and other people in similar creative fields. Mandy Hall was a literary agent who, despite only being in the industry for just two years, was already representing a few horror/thriller authors who were now household names. They included authors Alexander Moriarty, Elle Channing and Jaime Piper. To be in the company of such well-known authors was unfathomable.

"I'm good, thanks," Lexi replied before she could let her thoughts get the better of her. "How are you?"

"I'm well, thanks! I just wanted to call because I saw your email and read your manuscript," Mandy explained, "and I think you're what Write House Agency is looking for."

It took everything in Lexi not to gasp out loud. "That's great to hear, Mandy. Um... I'm sorry, what are the next steps?"

Mandy's laugh was airy yet reassuring. "I'd love for us to chat sometime tomorrow. Are you in NYC? I don't recognize your area code."

"I live in NYC right now 'cause I'm attending NYU. But I live in San Diego when I'm not in school. I do plan to stay in New York for good though," Lexi revealed. She took a breath to calm her heart, which was beating faster than ever.

"Oh, I see! I was gonna offer to do a virtual meeting, but why don't you come to my office instead? What time works for you tomorrow?"

"I don't have class that day, so I'm actually free anytime."

"Oh, perfect! Let me see..." Mandy paused, which was followed up by a few mouse clicks. "Is 10:30 AM good?"

"Absolutely," Lexi said. "Thank you again!"

"You're welcome," Mandy replied. "Sorry, I have to take another call now. I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Just ask for me at the reception desk."

"Of course! Sounds good to me," Lexi remarked.

Once the two women exchanged goodbyes, Lexi hung up and clutched her phone tightly to her chest. All her querying had finally paid off. She had received so many no's or been ignored for so long that it had dimmed her confidence in ever finding a literary agent. So, to hear that someone had taken enough interest in her and her book to represent her had made all that effort well worth it.

This is fucking crazy, she thought as she strolled back to her lecture before break ended. How the fuck am I supposed to focus on anything but tomorrow's meeting?!

She sat in her seat and tried to follow the rest of the lecture, but that proved to be harder than expected. But it had to be done. Even with the exciting meeting coming up, her studies were still incredibly important.

***

Lexi was still something of an emotional mess as she showered and got ready on that fateful Friday morning. She decided against comfy clothes in favour of a nicer outfit. She didn't want to dress super formally, but she also didn't want to look like a slob either.

She eventually settled on black trousers, a white long-sleeved button-up blouse, and a pair of black pointed-toe flats. She also applied a neutral face of makeup and her long hair was in loose curls. She made sure her purse was ready before leaving her apartment to take an Uber to Write House Agency.

About a half-hour later, Lexi arrived at a massive office building that was home to several other businesses. She took a deep breath before entering the building and getting into the elevator. She punched in the correct level, her heart in her throat the whole time.

Holy fuck, I can't believe this is happening, she thought. God, I hope the rug doesn't get pulled out from under me. FUCK, why did I have to go and think that???? Now I'm gonna be a big fucking mess.

Once she reached her floor, she sauntered to Write House Agency's office and entered quietly. A middle-aged woman sat at a short black desk. She glanced up from the screen of her large iMac with a grin.

"Hi, are you hear to meet with someone?" she asked.

Lexi nodded. "I have a meeting at 10:30 AM with Mandy Hall."

"Oh, perfect! You're a few minutes early, so grab a seat and I'll see if she's ready."

"Great, thank you."

The woman left as Lexi took a seat on a black couch that sat across from the receptionist's desk. She let her eyes wander around the small reception area. A couple of doors were closed, presumably the offices of other employees. Various green plants sat around the room to breathe life in the black-and-white office.

Just stay calm, Lexi thought. Everything's gonna be fine.

"Hi, Alexandra!"

Lexi stood up to take in the woman in front of her. She stood a little taller than her, but not by much. Her long light blonde hair was in loose waves. Her bright blue eyes were fixated on Lexi, but she had a warm smile that seemed to invite Lexi in and calm her down. She appeared to be a few years older and carried herself with both confidence and class.

"You must be Mandy. It's so nice to meet you! Feel free to call me Lexi, by the way."

"Gladly! Please follow me."

A few minutes later, Lexi entered Mandy's small office. The first thing that struck Lexi was all the pink inside. Mandy's office desk, office chair, floor rug, and many other items were various shades of pink. The few pieces of art that hung on the wall were also pink or otherwise girly in style. Even her light pink iMac matched her office's aesthetic perfectly.

"I love your office," Lexi remarked in awe.

"Aww, thanks! I love it," Mandy gushed. "Take a seat here."

Lexi sat in the seat pointed out to her— a fuzzy light pink chair with stainless steel legs. She set her purse down on the ground and swallowed hard.

"Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to come here," Mandy started. "I'm assuming you live close to NYU since you're going there, correct?"

"Yeah, I have an apartment that's only a short walk to campus," Lexi replied.

"If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying?"

"Literature and Creative Writing. I'm in my last year too."

Mandy raised her eyebrows while tucking a strand of blonde hair behind her ear with almond-shaped French manicured nails. "Oh, wow! It's great that you're so passionate about the writing industry."

"Thanks," Lexi said. She shifted her weight in her chair and tried to relax.

"Oh my God, please don't feel nervous," Mandy remarked with a soothing voice. "Let me cut to the chase, shall we? I read your manuscript in one sitting— and I never do that! I was up all night reading it 'cause I simply couldn't take my eyes off it! It was thrilling, entertaining, and riveting. It had everything I look for when I get a writer's manuscript."

Lexi found herself blushing like a madwoman. "Thank you so much. I'm glad you like it."

"I love it!" Mandy exclaimed. "It's so crazy to see someone so young write such a riveting novel. Oh, sorry, I'm not trying to sound dismissive."

"It's okay, you're not," Lexi insisted. "I get what you're saying."

Mandy's smile turned warm. "I would be honoured to represent you and pitch your manuscript to publishers."

Even though Lexi had expected this, it still didn't feel real. "Oh my God. I...I would love that. Thank you so much!"

"You deserve it," Mandy replied. "I'm glad you're excited!"

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous too," Lexi blurted. Ugh, why did I say that?

"That's totally normal," Mandy remarked.

Before she could continue, her phone went off. She excused herself to see what it was and frowned.

"I had invited you down to give you your contract," she explained, "but there's been a hiccup, and someone made an error with a few things about it. I'm afraid I won't be able to send it to you until Monday. I'm so sorry about that, Lexi."

Lexi shrugged the news off. "It's okay, things happen. I'm just so happy to have you representing me!"

"And I'm glad to represent you on behalf of Write House Agency," Mandy declared.

The meeting ended shortly after that, and Lexi left the office building. She was in a joyous daze as she took an Uber back to her apartment and returned home. It was just after 12 PM now, and Nikita wouldn't be home until later that afternoon.

I can't keep this to myself, Lexi thought. I need to tell someone.

She was about to text Isaac, but then she remembered that he had planned to study today and this weekend for an important test he had on Monday. She didn't want to interrupt him; studying was as important to him as it was for her. Her father was an automatic no, as he never carried his phone on him during work.

Mom will be busy, but I'll text her anyway. She'll see it eventually, she thought before typing out the text.

Lexi: Hey, hope you're well. Just wanted to let you know that I'm now being represented by a literary agent from Write House Agency in NYC!!!

Lexi put her purse and belongings away before changing into a dark green sweatsuit. Having not eaten yet today, she made herself a yogurt bowl with fruit and granola to eat for lunch. She had just finished eating when her phone rang out of the blue. A large grin appeared when she saw who it was.

"Hello, Mom."

"Lexi, hi!" her mother greeted. "I just got your text. You have a literary agent?"

"I do now," Lexi replied. "I just met her in person earlier today, and I'll get the contract on Monday."

"Honey, I'm so happy for you!" her mother exclaimed.

Lexi raised her eyebrows. "Really? Oh, good."

"I'm in shock, but I'm so happy for you too! Oh my God, I can't believe it."

The excitement in her mother's voice caught Lexi by surprise, but she kept that thought to herself. "Yeah, neither can I. It's crazy."

"Wait— how did you get one?"

Lexi told her mother how she had spent the past couple of years working on her book— a fact she had yet to disclose to her until this very moment— and how she had also gone through the professional editing process before. She also talked about querying and how tedious it had been.

"The whole process has been crazy, to say the least," Lexi confessed with a nervous laugh. "But I wouldn't trade it for anything, Mom. I'm so, so happy."

"That's incredible, Lexi," her mother said in astonishment. "I'm really happy for you, dear."

The reaction caught Lexi completely off guard. Her mother had given her so much grief for studying Literature and Creative Writing at NYU ever since Lexi told her that's what she wanted. She had asked her only child whether she would find a job after graduating and continued to voice her concerns. But now her mother was congratulating her on finding a literary agent. It was such an unexpected turn of events that she couldn't quite grasp it.

What's with the sudden change? Wait— why am I even worried? This is a good thing! Thank God she's thrilled and not upset, she thought.

"Honey, please do one favour for me."

Lexi promptly tuned back into the conversation. "What's that?"

"Please, please, please get a second set of eyes to review that contract before you sign it. I don't care who it is— but make sure it's someone who will understand it. I hate to worry you, but I'm your mother."

"I appreciate you looking out for me," Lexi said. "I promise, Mom."

"Good. Oh, I need to get back to work. I'll talk to you later, okay? And don't worry— I'll tell Dad the good news."

"Thanks, Mom. I love you."

"I love you too, dear."

***

When the contract arrived late Sunday evening, Lexi reached out to a New York University law professor who taught a few classes on contract law. Early the next morning, he read through the contract thoroughly and gave it the greenlight. She went to the library to print it off, sign it, and then scan it onto one of the library computers. She then emailed it off to Mandy before rushing to class.

Hi Mandy,

I hope you're well.

I've signed the contract and attached it to this email. Please let me know if the attachment works.

Best regards,

Lexi

By the time her nine AM lecture ended a few hours later, Lexi got her reply.

Hi Lexi,

Wow, you're fast! Thank you so much for sending this. It looks good!

I plan to start pitching your manuscript this week. With Thanksgiving coming up, it'll probably be quiet on my end for quite a while. But don't fret— that's pretty normal.

If you'd ever like an update, please send me an email. I'm always happy to give you one.

I hope to have good news for you sooner than later. Until then, chat soon!

All my best,

Mandy

Lexi promptly sent a brief reply a few minutes before her one o'clock lecture began.

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for letting me know that you got the contract. I'll definitely keep in touch with you.

Looking forward to talking to you again!

Best regards,

Lexi

Lexi felt her heart race but managed to calm down quickly. She didn't want any of this to distract her too much from her classes. She shook off everything that had happened over the past few days to focus on the current matter at hand. Still, she couldn't help but feel a little giddy inside. The prospect of her manuscript being pitched to publications by Mandy had her in high spirits.

Things are really looking up, Lexi thought with a content grin. Nothing can ruin this for me.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

99.8K 2.2K 44
With college graduation just weeks away Sydney and Matts future together is just within reach. Everything is falling into place and life couldn't be...
528K 11.4K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio 💕 The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...
635K 14.9K 24
After Lexi's parents die, she's a loner. Her brother isn't there for her like he should be, she has no friends, no one even notices her. Until her fu...
405K 14K 37
Lexi Reeker and Ryan Martin have hated each other ever since seventh grade. It's their sophomore year now and they still fight like they're twelve ye...