My Lovely Lady

By Avb8929

"What of now?" "For us? There is no now." In which the eldest Bridgerton begins to fall for a woman whom he b... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
PART TWO
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Epilogue
Bonus Chapters
Bonus Chapter: 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Alternative Ending
farmer george
DEVOTION
hi all!

Chapter Twenty-Five

11.4K 303 27
By Avb8929

Anthony found himself seated in his study, fiddling with his father's pocket watch. His anxiety was off the charts. The memories of the night replayed in his mind. He never believed that he would be forced to duel with his best friend. He felt stupid. Ever since the age of eighteen, Anthony had been forced into the role of Viscount. He had to step into his Father's shoes and take care of the family. And now, death was now a possibility. If he died at Simon's hand, he would be letting down the family, and they would fall into mourning once more. 

His thoughts drifted to Loren. How would she react if he were to die? She was so broken after Edmund, but she forced a brave smile just as Anthony did to support the family. The man sighed as he thought of the possibilities. She would completely shatter. His heart hurt just thinking about it. But there was no turning back now, the decision was made. He would duel Simon in a mere hour. Anthony placed the pocket watch gently upon the desktop, and grabbed a folded piece of parchment.  It was a letter addressed to Loren. He had spent hours attempting to write something to express how he was feeling. If he were to die, Loren would never know the true reason. He wanted nothing more than to wake her, to spend the rest of the night in his study together. But he would not feed into his desires, for Loren was ill, and needed to make a full recovery. 

His thoughts drifted to Sienna for a split second, but immediately vanished. She was of no importance now. The soprano had made her choice, she would not be his fool and he had finally accepted that. A knock on the study door drew the man out of his thoughts. "Come in." He said softly. The door was pushed open to reveal Benedict, who held an uncertain expression upon his face, "We should be going. It's almost time." Anthony simply nodded, rising from his seat, shoving his pocket watch into his coat pocket. 

Before he left the study, he placed the letter into his desk drawer for safe-keeping. Benedict already had a hunch as to who the letter was for, but he stayed silent. The Bridgerton brothers exited the room, heading toward the staircase, but Anthony halted before they could descend. Benedict stared at his brother, confused, "What is it?" 

"I have to do something. I will not be long." Anthony replied. Benedict only nodded, watching as Anthony walked down the corridor, stopping before Loren's door. Quietly, he pushed open the door, revealing Loren's sleeping figure. She looked so peaceful, snuggled beneath her blanket. Anthony approached her, a look of affection in his eyes. He now stood before her, and sadness hit him. If he were to die, this would be the last time he would ever see her. Tears stung the man's eyes as he kneeled beside the bed. He gently lifted his hand, brushing away a few strands of hair from her face. She was so beautiful, and he wanted to admire her forever. 

But sadly, the was not the case. Anthony sighed deeply as he caressed her cheek, "Sleep well, Loren," He whispered as he gently pressed a kiss upon her forehead, "I love you."

***

Loren was woken up rudely by Daphne shaking her. A dull ache occupied the woman's head, but overall she was feeling a little better, but she was still very unhappy about being woken up. "Daph! Whatever are you doing? It is too early." She groaned, sitting up, running a hand through her curls. The girl's face held an expression of fear, "Loren! You must get up, it is serious!" The woman sighed, "Daphne, what could be so important this early in the morning?" 

"Anthony and Simon are dueling at dawn, Loren!"
All time seemed to stand still at her words. Anthony was to duel Simon. Anthony was dueling. Anthony could die. She could not let this happen. Loren rose immediately, "What happened?" She demanded, pulling a blue silk robe over her cream-colored satin chemise, sliding her feet into her slippers as Daphne spoke, "Anthony found Simon and I in the garden. Simon-he-he kissed me, and he refused to marry me, so Anthony challenged him to a duel." Loren could barely process the reason for the duel, but her main focus was on Anthony. 

"Have they left already?" She questioned. Daphne nodded, "Colin is still here though, he is in Anthony's study." The girl replied. "Then we must go see him. We have to stop this from happening." I cannot loose him. Loren thought as she and Daphne rushed to the study, where Colin stood by Anthony's desk, a glass of whiskey in his hand. Before Colin could say a word, Loren spoke, "Where have they gone??" 

Colin sighed, "Loren-" "Tell us where this duel takes place." The man scoffed, "And why would I do that?" Daphne then piped up, "So that we may prevent it from happening." Colin was shocked, "Hastings has done you a grave dishonor. Surely you wish to see him pay." "Not with his life!" Daphne exclaimed. "It will not come to that. The duke will remember his honor once he finds himself on the deadly end of a pistol." 

"And if he does not?" Loren questioned. "They will both do the gentlemanly thing and fire their pistols wide. Allow them to bring this ugly business to a conclusion themselves." Daphne groaned in response, "Do you know how many times I have heard that said? To leave the men to their business and to not concern myself with such weighty affairs, whose affairs are my future, my family. Anthony is too angry to fire wide, and Simon is too stubborn to yield. You did not see them in that garden." 

Colin nodded, "No, I did not, and neither did anyone else." Loren wished that Colin would just stop stalling and give in. Her anxiety clawed at her as thoughts of Anthony being killed whirled throughout her mind. Daphne suddenly looked shaken, "Only, someone did see." 

"Who?" Loren demanded. "Cressida Cowper." The two older adults stared at the girl as Daphne turned her gaze to her brother, desperately asking again, "Colin, you must tell me. Where have they gone?"

***

Anthony was nervous. He had thought about death so much, it now seemed like a memory. But now it was so surreal. He could die in just mere minutes, and that was absolutely terrifying. Benedict and Anthony dismounted their horses to see the Doctor already waiting for them, "Doctor, I appreciate your attendance and discretion." Anthony said. The doctor simply responded, "You have my blunt?" Benedict nodded, to which the Doctor replied, "Very well, try not to go dying while I am present." 

Benedict spoke up, "If the goal is merely to wound, where should my brother aim?" The Doctor scoffed, "You think you have the skill to guide the path of a moving bullet? Then you are either a fool or the king's finest marksman. Which is it?" There was only silence in response as the sound of horses filled their ears, signaling that Simon had arrived with his second, who was Monrich. As Simon spoke with his friend, Anthony turned to Benedict, "I have one last matter to discuss with you." Benedict shook his head, "You have already provided ample instruction. Contact the solicitor and safeguard our sisters' dowries." 

"An additional task." Benedict nodded, listening to his brother's words, "In the top drawer of my desk, there is a letter. It is addressed to Loren. If I am to die, you must make sure she receives it. There is important information that she needs to know if I do not survive. Do you swear that you will give it to her?" Anthony asked. His brother was silent, his eyes glossing over with tears, Anthony spoke again, "Benedict, do you-" "I swear." He choked out, his voice wobbly with emotion. Anthony nodded, "That is all." He then fished Edmund's pocket watch out of his coat pocket, placing it gently into Benedict's hand before approaching Simon. The Duke stared at Anthony, regret in his eyes, "For what it's worth I'm sorry." 
"Your apology is worth nothing to me." Anthony snapped.

Tension filled the air, it was time. Simon and Anthony both grabbed their pistols and stood back to back. "Ready!" They both exclaimed after cocking their pistols. The two then slowly began taking ten paces away from one another. Anthony's only thoughts revolved around Loren. He prayed that if he were to die that she would forgive him. 

It seemed to last forever until the two finally halted, whirling around to face one another. Anthony's pistol was aimed straight at Simon, whereas the Duke had raised his pistol toward the sky. Anthony was ready to pull the trigger when a voice shouted, "STOP!"

guys...

i lied. 

Lorenthony scenes will be in the next chapter lol. 

Thank you for reading! Comment your thoughts!

-Av-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 2.8K 23
A story in which Benedict Bridgerton finds his perfect match Season one writen in november of 2021 edited in april of 2024
296K 5.3K 16
Forbidden love, that's what it was, especially when they all thought they despised each other. Charlotte Hamilton and Anthony Bridgerton DID despise...
15.7K 525 40
Why does love always seem to breed where it is forbidden? That is a question Benedict must ask himself, as he finds himself developing feelings for...
815 42 7
Two people who couldn't be more different, for the first time in her life she could say she truly hated someone, not realising that soon the anger sh...