Chapter Sixteen

The ball was in full swing when the Bridgerton's arrived, and Loren was already regretting her decision to attend tonight's dance. She would've much rather stay at home and relax, but, she was here to support Daphne. 

Anthony and Daphne led the way inside, Violet and Colin following, and finally, Loren entered the ballroom, her arm linked with Benedict, whom she intended to spend her night beside, for she did not wish to be anywhere near the eldest Bridgerton, so she resorted to the second eldest. Almost immediately upon entering the large ballroom, Simon and Lady Danbury approached the group, "A dance, Miss Bridgerton?" Anthony was about to intervene when Lady Danbury cleared her throat, "Hm, I shall need someone else to seek me a glass of ratafia then," She held out her arm, a smug smile on her face, "Lord Bridgerton, do me the honor?" The man did his very best to hide his annoyance as he spoke, "Of course, Lady Danbury." The two then walked off, allowing Daphne and Simon to make their way to the dance floor. Benedict glanced at Loren, who was clutching his arm, "Do you wish to dance? Or would you rather hide in the corner and people-watch for a while?"

Loren smiled, knowing that he knew the answer, "Let us stay hidden, Benny." The man chuckled as he led her to the wall, where the two stayed for a while and watched the interactions of the ton. Loren's gaze fell upon Daphne and the Duke, who were dancing, smiles plastered on both of their faces. She was still suspicious of the arrangement, but she could not deny how happy Daphne looked.

Benedict cleared his throat, catching Loren's attention, "So, do you wish to explain what is going on between you and Anthony?" "Nothing is happening." She denied. "Sure. You two haven't spoken since last night, it's obvious that something happened." Benedict said, attempting to get something out of the woman. Loren was about to respond when Anthony, in all his glory, appeared before them. "Go dance with your sister." He ordered. Benedict grimaced, "Why?" He whined. "Because I asked you to." Anthony snapped. Benedict groaned in annoyance as he headed toward Daphne. 

Now Anthony and Loren were alone, the tension between them suffocating. Anthony stared at the woman a moment before he spoke, "Would you care to dance?" Loren scoffed, shocked at his words, "You wish to ask me to dance? Are you serious, Anthony? You expect to just act like everything is fine?" The man sighed, "Please-"

"No. You are one of the only people who has supported my decision to not marry. I have been endlessly judged by the entire ton, and you were always there to support me. And then you use it against me? That isn't right, and it hurts. You are going to have to do more than just ask me to dance for me to forgive you." Anthony attempted to respond, "Loren, I-"

"Surely you made Benedict dance with Daphne to get her away from Simon, so you must need to talk with him. You should go before he steals her again." Loren stated, her tone cold. Anthony knew arguing would get him nowhere, so he listened, approaching Simon, who was waiting for him. Anthony led the man into a different room, for he needed to settle the situation between his sister and Hastings, "Perhaps I was unclear." He began. "Do you wish for me to insult your sister, Bridgerton? You wish your sister to marry a loathsome toad." 

And speaking of the toad himself, he suddenly appeared behind the two men, "Lord Bridgerton." He greeted. Simon rolled his eyes as Berbrooke spoke, "Forgive the intrusion, but, if need be, I will happily restate my intentions with respect to your sister. She is a prize I have long coveted for her beauty, for her grace-" 

"For her powerful right hook?" Simon muttered, confusing Anthony slightly. Berbrooke glared at the man, continuing, "I must know whether I can count on you to handle this misunderstanding, my lord? I certainly wish to avoid any kind of embarrassment." "Rather late for that." Simon said, sipping his drink. But Berbrooke continued speaking, "Are you too friendly with the duke or simply intimidated by his rank?" Anthony narrowed his eyes at the man, "Easy Berbrooke. assured you I will resolve the matter, a matter which I shall remind the duke is none of his concern." 

Simon rolled his eyes in annoyance, as Berbrooke smiled an ugly smile, "I shall do my best by your sister, Bridgerton. And perhaps she might learn to return my affections over time." Simon scoffed, "Do come off it, Berbrooke. I presume he failed to mention how he got that purple eye." This sparked the eldest Bridgerton's curiosity. Berbrooke spoke quickly, "I was careless with a cabinet door." 

"He was careless with his honor," Simon corrected, "He attempted something last night I shan't dignify with words when your sister planted a facer. Deservedly so." Anthony was shocked, "Daphne would have told me if this was true." Simon arched a brow, challenging him in a way, "Would she?" While Anthony was slightly upset with Simon, he believed the man, for the Duke would never lie about such thing. Anthony glared at Berbrooke, "You will never speak to my sister, again." Berbrooke stumbled over his words, "But we are to be married!" 
"You are to be buried if you so much as look in her direction. Be grateful you will not take a punch from yet another Bridgerton." And with that, Anthony stormed away, his mission to find Loren and inform her of what happened, but was stopped by Daphne, "What has happened? Brother?" 

"You need not worry about Berbrooke, Sister, it is done." He then walked away, searching the ballroom for the gorgeous brunette whom had been right about Berbrooke all along. He owed her an apology. Of course, she would not completely forgive him, but it was a start, and that is what mattered. 

Kind of a short chapter again. This episode isn't too exciting so I'm not having too much motivation, but I have lots of plans for later scenes and hopefully soon things will get exciting.

Thank you for reading and comment your thoughts!

Same sis 

-Av- <3