Chapter Twenty-Three

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed. But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud.
Though this author cannot dismiss the Duke of Hastings quite so soon. He may have let the diamond slip through his fingers for now, but I shall wager he is not a man to ever hide from a fight
.

Loren still felt very dreadful. She had rarely gotten any sleep, and she indeed felt quite ill. But would that stop her from continuing on with the day? Absolutely not. The woman found herself seated in the drawing room, a book in hand while Violet sat across from her, working on her embroidery. The older woman could tell that something was troubling Loren, and had been keeping a close eye on her all day. She finally decided to ask, "Are you feeling alright, dear? You seem quite flushed." 

Loren glanced up at Violet, "I am feeling a little off is all." She lied. It seemed as though she was feeling even worse than this morning, but she did not wish to draw any attention to it. But Violet was smart, and could see right through the woman, "Have you been checked for a fever?" "Last night, by Anthony. He said I was warm, but I was not warm enough for a fever." She said simply. Violet rose from her seat, approaching the woman, who shook her head, "Violet, I am fine, I assure you." Violet ignored her, placing her hand against Loren's forehead. 

The older woman gasped softly, "My dear! You're burning up! We must summon for a doctor at once!" "I will be fine, Violet. A little fever will not hurt me." A serious expression crossed the eldest Bridgerton's face, "Even the smallest things can be deadly." A heavy silence fell over the two, thoughts of Edmund crossing Loren's mind. Violet cleared her throat before speaking again, "I will call for a doctor. Please go upstairs and rest until he arrives."

With a single nod, Loren rose from her seat, preparing herself for a boring day.

***

Loren had a fever. Thankfully, it wasn't too severe. The doctor believed that with a few days rest, she'd be perfectly fine. While she was quite upset that she would not be able to support Daphne at the ball tonight, she'd much rather sleep. The woman had spent the rest of the day snuggled in her bed, consuming only broth and crackers, for she had lost her appetite due to the fever. 

She was quite tired, and was almost asleep when a loud knock echoed throughout the room. The woman sighed, "Come in." She croaked, her throat raspy and sore. She wasn't surprised when Anthony entered the room. He had been the only Bridgerton besides Daphne who had not visited her. 

"Hi." She greeted softly. "How are you feeling?" He questioned, taking a seat at the foot of her bed. Loren shrugged, stifling a yawn, "I could be better." Anthony nodded, there was a moment of silence before he spoke again, "Prince Friedrich asked for my blessing to marry Daphne." This shocked the woman,"They have only been courting for a few days, how can he possibly wish to marry so soon?" Anthony shrugged, "I do not know. But I highly doubt that Daphne will accept the proposal." 

"And why is that?"

Anthony merely shook his head, "That is a conversation for another day. Get some rest, I shall see you in the morning." He said, rising from his seat, approaching the door. Loren called after him, "Anthony," The man whirled around immediately, "Yes?"

"Don't have too much fun without me." She whispered. A smile crossed the man's face, "I won't, don't you worry." Then he left without another word, preparing himself for a night spent with the ton. But little did he know, doom was waiting, attempting to snatch him up and steal him away for good. For the moment he was to enter the gardens in search of his sister, all hell would break loose and doom him to either life or death.

GUYS

The next chapters are about the duels!! i'm so excited!

this is somewhat a shorter chapter, school has really been stressing me out so i'm sorry for not updating. also, i decided to have Loren fall ill, mainly bc i am feeling lazy and just wanted to skip to the duel lol

Anyways, i hope you enjoyed! Please comment your thoughts!

-Av-