A Thorn In The Ice

By QueenOfGeeks

"I fully expected you to say that I was the sort of Prince whose story would involve going into cahoots with... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Dead Freeze*
Chapter Two: Bitter Cold*
Chapter Three: Walls Of Ice*
Chapter Four: Chilling Me Softly*
Chapter 5: The Melted Man*
Chapter 6: Thawed*
Chapter Seven: Stone Cold*
Chapter Eight: Cold Company*
Chapter Nine: On The Rocks*
Chapter 10: Fighting Ice*
Chapter 11: Avalanche*
Chapter 12: White Nights*
Part 13: Kiss To Chill
Part 14: Touch Of Ice
Part 15: Best Served Cold
Chapter 16: Piercing Ice
Chapter 17: Melted Resolve
Chapter 18: Frozen Solid
Chapter 19: Under Pressure
Chapter 20: Breaking The Ice
Chapter 21: Anything But Cold
Chapter 22: Snow Place Like Home
Chapter 23: Thawed Passion (Part 1)
Chapter 23: Thawed Passion (Part 2)
Chapter 24: Ice On Fire
Chapter 25: Caged In Ice
Chapter 26: As Unforgiven As Winter
Chapter 27: A Cold Bed Of Enemies
Chapter 28: The Temperature Of Pleasantries
Chapter 29: Blood On The Ice
Chapter 30: Cold Feet
Chapter 31: Chilled Depths
Chapter 32: A Cold Day In Hell
Chapter 33: The Cold War
Chapter 34: Cold Light Of Day
Chapter 35: The Chilling Truth (part 1)
Chapter 35: The Chilling Truth (part 2)
Chapter 36: Frozen In Shock
Chapter 37: Snow Time Like the Present
Chapter 38: Ice No More
Chapter 39: Over Ice (Part 1)
Chapter 39: Over Ice (Part 2)
Chapter 40: White Wedding (Part 1)
Chapter 40: White Wedding (Part 2)
Chapter 41 Ice Breaker (part 1)
Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 2)
Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 3)
Chapter 42: The Warmth Of Weddings (Part 2)
Chapter 43 (Final Chapter)

Chapter 42: The Warmth Of Weddings (Part 1)

366 36 4
By QueenOfGeeks

The banquet hall of the large building glowed brighter than it had in a long time, even before the war. The warm light in the room a perfect symbol of the reignited joy of the people of Aelford, and the love felt between the two new sets of noble newlyweds.

There were a few candles on the large table where the mountains of food was laid, more food all of the party attendees had seen in months.
Roasted chicken, sweet rolls, venison pie, sweet pies, kegs of ale, beer, and so much wine; for in what had seemed like a miracle, the largest grain store room in the city, as well as one of the deeper alcohol cellers under the castle, had remarkable gone undiscovered, therefore un-raided by the invaders.

Adelaide entered the room with her arms linked tightly to her new husband, cheeks flushed from joy, and the not so short walk back from the dock where they had been so unceremoniously married.
Nerves filled her belly, how would her people react to her last minute debauchery, that spectacle she had made inside the church. Would they accept Iolas as their own? Would any accuse her of immortality for her actions? For marrying or almost marrying so many men in such a short span of time?
Before she could wind herself up any further about it, the room erupted with cheers and applause for the newlyweds, and the party began to commence in honor of the Queen and her new King Regent, as well as the hero of the realm; The not so dead Horse Lord and his beautiful new wife Delilah.

A lively waltz started and the dance floor whirled to life, quickly crowding with party guests who had clearly not waited for her to already begin drinking. She listened to the excited chatters that flittered around her and nodded briefly to congratulatory words uttered by her happy subjects. 

She caught sight of Simon and Delilah closing the distance between them, hand in hand.
Nervousness rattled through her as thoughts of a possibly awkward encounter dawned on her. She did her best to conceal her expression.
She took the moment to glance between Simon and Iolas, and a small amount of relief filled her when she saw that the eyes of both men held no contempt or ill will.

"So, I take it you got married?"
Simon was the first to speak up, gesturing the roaring party around them. The Queen laughed at his words, for the way he had broken the tension had been so incredibly Simon.
"It would appear that way, wouldn't it?"
She laughed back.
"So did I. I don't know if this is better or worse than when somebody shows up to a party wearing the same thing as you."
He joked further, holding up Delilah's hand as if it were the proof.
"Definitely better."
Adelaides eyes welled up with happy tears. They shared a warm smile and then embraced for the first time in a long time as what they had been all along, the dearest of friends.

She next moved to embrace his new wife, while the men moved to clasp each others arms around their backs.
"I should have known..."
Simon shook his head as he pulled back, but instead of stepping away, instead placed his hands on the smaller man's shoulders.
"I mean, the signs we're all there, but I honestly didn't have a clue until she was literally leaving me at the alter."
Simon shook his head with a grin.
The love the prince had for Adelaide had been pouring out in front of him the entire time.
"I still think she should have married you, horse boy." Iolas half joked.
"Ah, but then I'd have two wives, and absolutely no time for my donkey."
Realization dawned on Iolas as Simon concluded.
"So does this mean that....."
"If I'm okay with you getting married to Adelaide?" Simon cut in.
Iolas nodded, "Yes?"
"I am." He nodded, giving the princes shoulders one good squeeze before dropping his arms.
Iolas straightened the sash on his shoulder, which the bigger man had mussed.

"Drinks?" He asked, glancing at the makeshift bar.
Simon nodded almost immediately.
"Of course." 

"So," Adelaide began, the moment the men went into the hall to obtain goblets, she knew they'd be there for a while.
"Tell me more about your time with Simon?" 
Delilah's eyes lit up as she narrated how she had found him on a riverbed with broken bones and barely alive. 

Adelaide's heart skipped a beat as she imagined the agony he must have been through. She nodded at Delilah to continue as she needed to hear everything and get to know the woman beside her. 
Delilah recounted how distraught Simon was the moment she told him he was a kingdom away from Aelford.

A maid brought them two goblets of wine, nodding to the two noblemen at the bar who had ordered them. Simon and Iolas waved at them, cheeks flushed with laughter, comradery, and alcohol already consumed.

After taking a long sip, Delilah cleared her throat and continued.
"Then he asked about you," she said in a low voice, "he was frantic with fear so often. I had to calm him down with a promise that I'd ask around for any news." 

"Did it bother then you that he.." Adelaide started, then sucked in a sharp breath as she tried to rephrase her words, but Delilah touched her arm gingerly. 

"Yes." She uttered in a forthright voice, "I had feelings for him long before he ever woke up, as strange as that sounds, but when he did, and he said you were his woman, I felt something in me shatter, and for a brief moment, I even hated you."
Adelaide gazed at her with an expression of soul-deep acceptance and gratitude.
"Thank you, Delilah." She said, then added hastily when she noticed the look of confusion on the other woman's face, "for taking care of him, for loving him." 

"Does this mean you're delighted with our union?" Delilah managed to ask as Adelaide's words stunned her into silence. She hadn't expected Adelaide to be so welcoming as she had perceived the love between her and Simon to be unwavering.
"Yes, circumstances such as this can be nothing less than fate."
Delilah smiled and marveled at her words, they sounded exactly like something Simon would say.

"Thank you Your Majesty," Delilah spoke with a broad grin that brightened her entire face.
"Please call me Adelaide. I can tell we will be great friends, and formalities be damned." 
Delilah laughed and said the name under her breath, contentedly excited about the turn of events from what she had envisioned. 

The men returned and the foursome gravitated to the feast table, absolutely famished.
They ate and drank, and just as their was peace in the air of Aelford, also was it in their hearts.

The party continued late into the night. She had danced, ate and drank until her feet and stomach ached.
Adelaide felt her energy begin to wane, wane the guests were still as lively as ever as they pushed the tables away and set up a gaming atmosphere to accompany the still spinning dance floor. She sighted Iolas and Simon standing a few feet away from the noise. Iolas had his hand on the other man's shoulder as they conversed and laughed like brothers. 
The scene warmed her heart, and she turned away, as she didn't want to intrude on whatever moment they were having. 
She beckoned on a servant and told him to inform Iolas that she had gone up to her chambers as her feet were beginning to hurt and her eyes were itchy from fatigue. 
After a last glance at her husband and her best friend, Adelaide retired to her chambers, taking the stairs slowly. 

The moment she turned the doorknob and made it to enter the dimly lit room, Iolas grabbed her from behind.
"Sneaking to bed without me, huh?" He accused, squeezing her lightly.
Adelaide struggled against him, but she didn't move away.
"I didn't want to pull you away from Simon." She tsked.
"It's my wedding night, My Lady. You have every right to drag me from any room."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5M 438K 95
Sitting on the bed, I was waiting for my husband to arrive. It was our wedding Night. I rolled my toes as the visuals of him slowly touching my cheek...
73.1K 1.4K 7
She became the back-up bride, like the consolation prize to every loser who could never win. (c) 2016 determinants [Book #2 of The Unfortunate Weddin...
183K 10.2K 43
It has been over two centuries since the reign of King William and the banishment of the ladies' society,a society tasked with the protection of the...
4.1K 184 16
Do you really love only once? Will you be able to stop loving the one you considered the love of your life? Love story between Mew Gulf and Bright Gu...