The Switch

By ChelseaNorris5

Set immediately after the events in Souja. Duchess Contessina DeBaringer has been betrothed since infancy to... More

The Switch Chapter 1- Diagnosis
A Rushed Courtship and Engagement
Till Death Do You Part
The Contessina Originale
Wedding Night
Day 1 of Wedded Bliss
Off To See The World- Souja Inn and Tavern
Yekmeni
Drauch and Stormbreaker
The Truth About Side Sickness
Reconcile
Radiance Supreme
The Order of Radiance
Millie's Wedding
Serena

Meeting Fate Face to Face

20 1 0
By ChelseaNorris5

The Switch

Chapter 2

The day of the ball you found yourself in your mother's salon, you had had a large breakfast with your mother and sisters. But when it became noon, they all stopped eating in an effort to squeeze into their dresses. Except for you. You were allowed to indulge in a light lunch and tea to keep your strength up. And swallow down your medicine to make you more comfortable and to make you appear glowing and healthy. The medicine worked wonders as in just a few moments after taking it, you felt like you had the energy of a small child, wanting to practically bound down the hallways. And while the medicine did work wonders in the moment, when it wore off, you looked and felt even worse than before you took it. So you would only be using it when you absolutely needed to and right now it was only half an hour before your guests would be arriving and this large dose would and should last for the rest of the evening.

Your mother was fretting over every single hair on Millie's head to make sure that not a single one got out of place. Milli looked prettier than a picture and like a proper princess with a tiara and everything. She had every accessory and every flourish possible from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. Even when she had been presented at the Queen's Court only a couple of month's prior she had not been this embellished. Even though her shoes would barely be seen, even they- were the height of fashion. And when they would peek out under her dress, even they would glitter and glow because of the jewels sewn into the very fine silk and trimmed with fur. The shoes alone were a work of art. Milli had gotten over a dozen new pairs, their delicate heels and arches making her feet look small, delicate, refined and sophisticated. Meanwhile your own shoes were still beautiful, but they were built with comfort in mind and had wonderful cushion in the soles from sea sponges so that it felt like you were walking on pillows.

Meanwhile you were just grateful your new half corset to just keep your breasts up and pressed high and accentuated your ample cleavage but the cut of your dress made your waistband higher to hide the fact that you weren't wearing a full corset. The half corset itself wasn't hurting you and you did like the way your new dress looked on you as you liked the higher waistline even if it was of later fashion. It made your legs look longer and your bosom look larger while only subtly hinting at a pinch of a waist. It was dignified, distinguished, yet discretely lavish and magnificent in it's own way.

Where your sister Millie wore bright gold on shiny silks and satins and brocades and glittered and glowed, with heavy embroidery. And even little jewels sewn into the fabrics so that she was glittering in any and every light. But you, while you had details of gold threaded trim and lace and shimmer and sheen, you chose a more flattering color for your complexion and one that brought out your eyes. Only when one looked closely could they see the thoughtful and luxurious yet delicate touches. The deep pockets that could hold a volume sized book, the fine embroidery touches here and there, the softest lace against your skin and that every time you moved, you could feel the softness of the fabric against your skin and you liked the way it swished and whispered when you walked.

But you couldn't help but feel anxious. What if Young Count Lavine would take one look at Milli and dismiss her just as quickly as he did you? At this point, Young Baron Salgria had still not given you any other letters. But his mother and his sisters had. And so in light of this, you had immediately struck up an easy friendship with them which was paramount for your own success with the Salgrias as a whole. Because right now, you didn't care if the Young Baron liked you or not. As long as he would not abuse you or find about this ruse and feel cheated. And as long as he treated you pleasantly, you would die happy as you looked in the mirror and wondered if this was the best you were ever going to look.

Then a morbid thought crossed your brain. What you would look like as a corpse? And what plot your body would find rest in?

"My Lady, guests are coming down the drive." Mrs. Canters informed your mother.

"Well then we shouldn't dally then- Contessina, Millicent, Gwendolyn, it's time. Remember, head up, shoulders back, think tall and walk like a swan swims on the water, effortlessly smooth." Your mother urged you and your sisters before you queued up behind her before and got into position as you reached back to Milli to squeeze her hand reassuringly as she squeezed back tightly before your mother sauntered through the house with you, Millie and Gwen walking behind her in a straight line before you united with your father and brothers at the receiving line to receive your family's guests.

Then the big moment came and you quickly traded places with Gwendolyn and Milli so that you were at the end of the line and hopefully out of enough sight that Young Count Lavine wouldn't notice you. The worst that could happen, in your opinion, was that he would take one look at you all grown up and think you were a greater beauty than your younger sister and want to switch back.

Then Count and Countess Lavine came in and Young Count Roncharles Lavine practically froze in place as he almost stopped breathing as he watched your sister Milli curtsy low in greeting him as everything about her glittered, glowed and sparkled and caught his eye, practically hypnotizing him.

"Count and Countess Lavine, this is our daughter Duchess Millicentuza Rolfigne DeBaringer," Your mother introduced, using Milli's whole name as Milli gently dipped her head before lifting her gaze to lock with Young Count Roncharles Lavine, who was staring at her in awed wonder and had to be elbowed by his father to finally react.

"Yes, such a pleasure to see you, I mean meet you, at last Duchess DeBaringer." He fumbled before he practically leapt forward to claim her hand to kiss her knuckles without breaking eye contact which caused her to giggle behind her fan which was tailored to match the dress perfectly.

"If I may be so bold as to claim the first two dances tonight." He offered.

"You may." Milli answered sweetly.

"Perhaps you should show our guests to the ballroom and to the refreshments." Your mother prodded Milli.

"It would be my honor if you would accompany me Duchess DeBaringer." Roncharles emplored Milli.

"Of course." She readily agreed and took his offered arm before she was escorted away as Roncharles practically ignored everyone else in the room, including you. Much to everyone's relief as you could see and feel your family and his own blow out a silent breath of relief that Roncharles was practically enraptured with Milli immediately as your father and his both exchanged a knowing and victorious grin.

"Are you quite recovered Duchess Contessina DeBaringer?" His mother paused before she and her husband passed you. Countess Lavine had actually been the one to exchange letters with you most of your teenage years. Trying to get on the best terms she could with her expected daughter in law. And when you had gotten a letter from her asking about the "accident" you had to go to your father to know everything he had said so that your story would match his and the doctor's new "report". But she had wanted to stay close and stay friends even after the switch. You tried to telling her all about Milli so that she would not be surprised about her, and could adjust to Milli being her new daughter in law. And build up a good rapport with her as well as Milli and her had exchanged letters with great success and also got along quite well from the start.

"As recovered as I'll probably ever be Countess Lavine, thank you so much for asking, please, enjoy the ball tonight." You answered demurely. Not wanting to make any conversation awkward as she simply smiled appreciatively and a bit bittersweetly and nodded at you and walked on with her husband.

You looked at Roncharles' back as he had turned to Milli and was talking to her very eagerly and animatedly already. He had grown into a reasonably handsome young man. And part of you wondered if this was fate's hand. Because the two were suddenly acting like star crossed lovers. Milli was staring at him in the most adored wonder right back, being quite enraptured by his own handsome charm that suddenly seemed to ooze out of him towards her. It was easy to bat away jealousy seeing them clearly being so happy together. You realized it would probably be inevitable. And how crushed you would have been if this had bloomed between them and you were still betrothed to him. You knew your sister would never do you the dishonor of becoming your husband's mistress but if they were fated to be together, they would both be miserable trying to fight this attraction. It was for the best that they could be together so freely and so honorably now.

"Tessa Dearest, the Salgria's are here." Your mother pulled your attention back from watching your sister before you moved back to your mother's right hand side and prepared yourself. Shoulders down and back, think tall, stand tall, head forward, fan at the ready. Feel at ease- to put them at ease. Feel calm- to help them feel calm. Be friendly, steady and most importantly, looking healthy and perfectly fine and most importantly- unintimidating.

"Baron Salgria, thank you so much for coming tonight, this is my wife Duchess Elouise Vasselli LaRoche DeBaringer." Your father introduced your mother who curtsied respectfully.

"And this is our daughter Duchess Contessinaessa Vessezin DeBaringer," Your mother introduced as you curtsied respectfully before your parents introduced your three other siblings.

Then Baron Thaddius Salgria introduced himself and his family as you finally got to place faces with the names you were already familiar with, especially his wife Astrin and their daughters. Who were only a year or two younger than Milli. You smiled your brightest, most friendly and welcoming smile as you traded compliments about their dresses and jewels and accessories. Which they were happy to do and could really feel and appreciate the genuine nature of your compliments.

Then your attention was finally turned to his eldest son Kragan who had been standing behind his sisters and other siblings as if hiding behind them and not wanting to even enter the room. Who had been watching you interact with the rest of his family, as if afraid to even set foot into the light so that you couldn't see him and reject him as quickly as he feared.

You had never seen a more uncomfortable young man in your life. He looked like an eagle trying to wear a peacock's feathers as he was trying not to fidget with the edges of his sleeves. And he looked at you with barely veiled fear. With a nervous smile and he just looked like a masculine version of a 'damsel in distress'. Both of his parents had to take each of his arms and force him to move forward and to stand in front of you. And all you could feel for him was sympathy and empathy. The poor young man looked terrified and extremely awkward. Like he was being presented to the King for a crime and about to be beheaded or something. You felt so sorry for the poor guy. Because not that long ago, you had felt and probably looked the same way when you met with Roncharles. But where Roncharles had met with you with harsh judgment and criticism- you were determined for this meeting to go much better and not do the same. You were going to be as kind and gentle with him as you could be. That was the least you could do for him.

"Would the Young Baron Kragan Salgria, take a short walk with me? I'm in desperate need of some fresh air." You proposed before he was practically pushed towards you some more by his father. Then he awkwardly put his arm out which you took and both of you quickly grabbed a glass of champagne from an attendant as you led him through your family's palace. He wouldn't even look at you, he couldn't even bring his gaze up from the floor. Because you could see the others giving you looks of almost pity and apology that you were on his arm and not any other as you gave polite smiles back in response.

But the other guests also knew to not even try to interfere as they kept a respectful distance. Countess Lavine gave you the most apologetic look of all and almost tried to come to your rescue. But with a subtle shake of your head and her husband gently keeping his grip firmly into the crook of his elbow to keep her from interfering. You gave her a reassuring smile as if trying to convey to her that you were in fact- ok and that it was going to be alright.

"Please, I've heard you're fond of music, I must show you our music room. We have instruments from all over the supersphere. Surely you'll recognize them, perhaps it will remind you of your times from such exotic places. I'd love to hear about your travels, if you'd indulge me." You urged the Young Baron who nodded as you then practically led him away from the rest of the ball, through the palace to the music room.

"Do you recognize any of the instruments?" You asked him once you got into the room as the instruments in question were on display in the room.

"I've seen some of them, being played by musicians, performing the streets and in taverns and other places. I don't know how to play any of them though." The Young Baron admitted.

"Just because you can't play the instrument doesn't mean you don't enjoy the music it can create. Our music room has a balcony where we can get that fresh air. This house can get a little stuffy at times. It's just through here, would you mind getting the doors for me?" You requested as you gestured to the doors.

"Oh, yes, of- of course." The Young Baron agreed before he did, revealing the balcony that overlooked the expansive gardens. Just as the sun was beginning to set, coloring the sky and the landscape beautifully. The balcony had already been set up and staged for this engagement.

The servants let the two of you practically vanish into the large palace from the sight of the other guests. And sadly neither of you were really missed by the others as your youngest siblings practically babysat his as his youngest siblings were eager to leave the ball and go off and play in a playroom. Gwendowlyn managed to juggle Kragan's other sisters while your younger brother, Saffiro who was your father's eldest son and heir juggled Kragan's other brothers himself.

All while your parents continued to greet their guests for the ball leaving Baron and Baroness Salgria to simply stand awkwardly on a wall and sip on champagne and accept little plates of little appetizers. Because your father knew that if the waitstaff offered them a tray of appetizers, no other guest would eat after them. So he kept the waitstaff offering the trays to other guests while a separate waitstaff attended to the Salgrias and only the Salgrias so that things would appear to be running smoothly and no one would find any offense from either side.

Meanwhile you were happy that you finally managed to lead Kragan to your final destination. The balcony had been lit with lanterns and the seating arrangement was set in such a way that it would provide the two of you with as much proximity or as much space you needed. Your mother had been extremely thorough and particular about how this space would be set up. She wanted it to be comfortable, relaxed. Yet only hinting at romantic and intimate but not so much that it would scare off and spook Kragan.

Especially since your father and his own had clued her in on how apprehensive Kragan was about this arrangement. And so your mother tried to make the atmosphere- be both catering to him, while also giving you every possible advantage. Both of your parents had done their best to drill every piece of advice into you for most of the day on how to handle Kragan successfully. Which was to do so in such a way that he didn't feel handled at all. You had to be subtle, discrete yet very discerning- observant without making him feel like you were watching him like a hawk so to speak.

"Won't you join me for some beverages and refreshments?" You invited him to join you on the balcony as you easily slipped past him and sat on the couch and noticed there was a very large and rather lavish spread put out on the table.

Farthest away from you was a silver pitcher, filled with ice with a bottle of champagne, ready to be popped open if your champagne flutes needed to be refilled. There was some punch in a bowl and a full tea service along with a large platter of appetizers and other small dishes. Supposedly meant for two but could easily feed four people because Kragan was supposed to have a large appetite.

The seating arrangements were a very comfortable couch, slightly bigger than a loveseat and two armchairs kitty corner so that they had equal access to the table and it's offerings.

The seating arrangement was not so close so that you would have no choice but to practically sit side by side on the sofa. But that Kragan could- if he wanted to- he could either sit on the couch with you or sit in any of the armchairs and still be close enough for conversation. But still be apart enough to respect personal space, as much or as little as he needed or wanted in the moment. So you chose to sit on the couch, to the end that was nearest to the closest chair but not so far away that it would indicate that you wanted him to sit as far away from you as possible and it was evident that he could still join you on the couch if he wanted to.

And with as nervous and anxious as he was, you expected him to sit in the farthest chair and closest to the champagne since he seemed to have drained his champagne flute already, just being led here.

You hoped he would choose to sit in one of the armchairs and actually face you. And depending on which of the two chairs he would sit on, would indicate how much work you had to do to gently help him lower his guard. He seemed to take your nonverbal cue after quickly looking and weighing his options for where to sit. And he surprised you by sitting in the closer armchair. It actually filled you with relief. It was a subconscious indicator that you wouldn't have to work too hard to convince him of the virtues of the match.

"I know this is our first conversation together. And it should be filled with polite pleasantries to ensure a good first impression. And while I do want to give you that. It's more important to me to give you an accurate understanding of who I really am. And we could spend the night doing nothing but practically talking in circles about nothing of importance. And not really get anywhere other than impersonal polite pleasantries. Instead, what I would prefer- is to have an honest and frank conversation with you if you would be comfortable indulging me to do so." You began as you took the steaming teapot and prepared your own cup of tea, leaving the champagne flute on the side because you didn't need the alcohol to dull your senses or relax you to the point that you would miss hearing and noting important details. This tea blend was actually rather on the fruity and sweet side which you liked and his mother had told you was one that he liked as well.

"Really?" He asked, almost afraid to believe you.

"Unless you don't want to. It's a lovely sunset and our view is very picturesque. I suppose we could talk as much or as little about it as any other subject and simply get back to the ball if you would prefer that." You offered as you gestured dismissively towards the beautiful landscape around you.

"No! I do want to talk with you. And an open and honest conversation is actually what I've been needing the most. And I'm so happy and relieved you want to have one with me. But I just don't want to offend you either. Since I've been at court, I've come to learn that my manners are... in much need of improvement and I fear I will say something wrong and cause offense with you like I have with others." He quickly corrected himself.

"I understand your hesitancy and your reluctance. My father has informed me of your difficulting adjusting to court life. Which, according to my father- is more like a gladiatorial arena but instead of weapons of steel they use tongues of silver and words that are as pretty as a concerto to the ears but strike as viciously as viper once you grasp their meaning and intent. I have never been to the King's Court. And so I can not say for sure. But my father has taken my brother Saffiro, who claims the same things my father has said. And when I was presented at the Queen's Court only two years ago- I got to see first hand how her court wasn't much different. It's just with ladies but instead of money and business on the line- it's your reputation that's at stake if you say anything wrong or make a mis-step. My mother did her best to prepare me for it. But even with her council and guidance, I still felt like I was being thrown into a pool of sharks. Each one more hungry for fresh blood of flesh than the last. I was so grateful at the time I was already betrothed, because otherwise I felt like the others were going to eat me alive and swallow me whole." You confessed honestly.

"Yes! That's exactly what it is like! I've sailed the nine seas and sailed the twelve winds and faced actual, literal, pirates. But all of that has been nothing compared to life at court. And if it was not for your father helping us, we would have been ripped to shreds and swallowed whole the moment King Grenver gave us the title of Baron." Kragan readily confessed as you could tell he was so happy and grateful and relieved to finally get that off his chest.

"Then we have much more in common than I think we've realized. Won't you please shut the doors so we don't have anyone overhearing us then? So we can have a measure of privacy if you want it Sir." You urged him as you gestured behind you to where the doors to the balcony were still wide open.

He was all too happy to oblige, immediately getting up and closing the doors as quietly as he could, peeking through the glass and curtains to see if anyone from the ball had been there to see or overhear so far. And thankfully found no one but a door man, standing at attention at the door to the music room.

You took the shall that had already been placed on the back of the couch and wrapped it around your shoulders to stave off the chill that was creeping into the air as the sun sank lower into the horizon. Then you made yourself a small plate of appetizers that just been put here only moments before you came. They were still very fresh and the hot ones were still quite hot while the chilled ones were still ice cold. All the appetizers that were being served to the guests at the rest of the ball. With additional ones that had been crafted just for the two of you. That even featured ingredients and cooking styles Astrin had told you that Kragan liked since she was the only one who you trusted to ask about him since he wouldn't communicate with you himself to tell you of his preferences himself. But Kragan seemed hesitant to sit back down again.

"Come and sit down and talk and help yourself to some tea, or punch or champagne if you would like and other appetizers before dinner. It's safe. I don't bite. I promise, I would just like to talk, and please know that whatever we talk about I will keep in confidence. That is all I would like." You gently teased yet reassured him. Which got him to huff a laugh as he sat down in the same chair as before.

And after a moment of watching you eat and drink- he decided to take you up on your offer since he had already practically gulped down his champagne to try to calm his nerves. But he didn't want to drink any more and loosen his lips any more than they already were. Besides the champagne on his empty stomach had calmed down his nerves enough but had loosened his lips enough as it was already and he didn't want to push his luck.

"I take it you have some questions for me. Ask any question you wish, and I'll answer them as honestly as I can." You generously offered.

"Aren't you angry about all this?" He blurted out before he could stop himself as you nearly choked on your tea, being thrown by his first choice for a question. You were expecting other questions like what your preferences were or what food you liked to eat. But you did ask for honest conversation and if he honestly wanted the answer to such an question, you needed to give an honest answer.

"No, I'm not angry at all. Why would I be angry? And what should I be angry about exactly?" You asked as you curiously cocked your head to the side and raised a curious brow and gave him a curious look.

"This whole...scenario. You spent most of your life being engaged, betrothed, which I'm pretty sure they mean the same thing. But you were in this arrangement to a young Count. And you probably planned for a life with him but because he fell in love with your sister, you're abandoned and then practically sold to...me basically. Aren't you angry about any or all of that?" He asked and you couldn't help it- you laughed, a good, hearty, genuine laugh.

"Could I be completely candid with you?" You asked with a hopeful smile.

"Please, by all means, I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't want the answer. Especially an honest one which you've been gracious enough to offer," he implored as you could see he was genuinely fearful that you would be angry about the arrangement. The poor man.

"No, I am not angry or upset about it at all. Relieved actually, very, very relieved. Especially since the more time goes on and the more I see the Young Count Lavine and my sister together. To see the ease of which they do get along and the natural attraction they have to each other. I'm very relieved to not be in the way of their relationship, especially when my relationship with him has always been very strained and forced for both of us." You revealed.

"Wait what? Did you two not get along?" He asked, in complete shock at that revelation.

"No, not at all. We have both made efforts to obey the rules of "polite and civilized society". But we clashed very badly. And so it was never even close to being even friendly between the two of us. He has always dodged me and refused to even meet with me at any social gathering. Even balls at his own home. He has somehow managed to weasle out of them to avoid me. And the moment he hears I'm even coming down the drive to visit him and his family, he escapes into the woods on a hunting expedition to get away from me. And that's usually only when my parents have to twist my arm to even do that much. And despite all the invitations to come here, he has always found an excuse to not attend. He has always actively avoided me since our first meeting. And I must confess, I have done the same. That's how badly we clashed and did not get along." You revealed with a small huff of a laugh at all the memories of the last few years.

"But you were engaged! Betrothed! How could you be engaged to a man who you didn't even like to the point that you both did all you could to avoid each other?!" Kragan asked incrediously.

"Well my father betrothed me to him when he was a newborn. And I was only two. So it's something we have had to make our peace with for most if not all of our lives. Well, until only recently. So when the plans changed, it came to our mutual great relief." You confessed.

"Why?" Kragan asked because by the looks of it, you were perfectly lovely, he couldn't fathom why anyone would find anything about you objectionable. You were seemingly perfect and to his delight, so easy going and actually fun to be around. Like you were this long lost friend just waiting to be reaquainted with him. And he was so drawn to you. He couldn't fathom how any man in his right mind would not be drawn to you as well.

"Well the only encounter I've ever had with Young Count Roncharles Lavine- was five, almost six years ago. It was the first and last time we met in person and talked face to face. Well, that was until before this ball tonight. And even tonight- he didn't even look at me or even in my general direction in the receiving line. Because once his gaze locked onto my sister, he had eyes for no one else in the room. Which, I'm happy for her in that respect that she can capture and keep his gaze and interest. Especially since it's something I have never been able to do in my life nor something I've ever wanted to do either. And she does it rather effortlessly. Which only speaks to the naturalness of their attraction and attachment to each other. But back to his first and only meeting with me, it was an utter and complete disaster and our betrothal has been doomed ever since. Because everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. Two opposing armies on the battlefield probably had less clash than we did in that instance." You confessed as you illustrated by punching your fists against each other.

"How is that possible? What happened?" Kragan asked as his brow furrowed and he outright frowned in response which was actually adorable which brought another easy smile and a bit of a laugh to your tone.

"Oh it was very much one of those- everything that could go wrong did go wrong. And it brought out the worst in both of us and we were kids, barely teenagers and barely out of the nursery. And both of us reacted to the situation and each other in the worst, most immature ways. And it still is a time both of us look back on and shudder to think of it and I would hate for you to think I'm still that way and have not grown or matured past it." You explained.

"The fact that you can admit that much is clearly an indication that you have. Please, could you indulge me by telling me? I'm very curious now." Kragan admitted as you narrowed your eyes but krinkled your nose and couldn't help but smirk as you caved which Kragan thought was completely adorable and endearing.

"Well, you indulged me by speaking to me candidly. I will indulge you in turn. It's only fair." You allowed as you scooted closer to the arm of the chair and leaned towards him so you wouldn't have to speak these words too loudly as he did the same, mirroring you as you could tell you were actually capturing and holding his interest which was a victory in of itself.

"So, what happened was- we met for the first time- for a hunt on his family's very large and vast country estate. Our fathers were going after one fox that went in one direction, he, my brother and I and the Game Warden went after the other in another direction. And without our father's supervision and constant instruction. We were unfortunately left to our own devices and left to try to work together. For the sole purpose to make our fathers proud. And prove our own maturity and skill, of which we barely had any at all." You began, setting the scene, complete with big gestures and meaningful and very expressive facial expressions which Kragan was practically swooning. Because finally, a real woman. Not a pretty doll in a dress. But a real, living, breathing, flesh and blood woman. This was heavenly.

"So, I thought he was very short, weak, selfish and extremely entitled. So entitled in fact, to the point I was convinced- that he was sure that the supersphere revolved around him and only him. Because he was cursing the horse for not having a smoother gait. Especially since he was tied into his saddle. Because he was such a bad seat in riding. And had only done his hunting from the ground before. And it was his first time doing so from horseback. But he was over confident and very arrogant and could barely keep a hold of his rifle. And keep it from actually shooting his own horse. He actually tried to use the poor horse's head to rest the barrel of the rifle on. Which his horse did not like. And he nearly got bucked off and the horse tried to scrape him out of and off the saddle on a tree. That horse did not want him to be it's rider. So he was already pissing me off by blaming the horse for being, you know, a normal horse." You explained as you held up your index finger and pinky fingers and touched your thumb to your middle and ring fingers to illustrate the horse's head and then took the first and second fingers of your other hand to illustrate the barrel of the gun and put the "barrel" of the gun between the "horses" ears.

"The Game Warden, bless his heart and soul. He had to take the Young Count's bridle and calm the horse down. And the Game Warden had to insist that if the Young Count were take another shot- to turn the horse to the side. And not try to use the horse's head as it's rest. Because otherwise the Young Count was so weak he couldn't even hold the stupid rifle up on his own and it nearly kicked his body backwards when the rifle kicked back into his shoulder." You recalled as you used the heel of your hand to immitate the kick back from the rifle as you dramatically laid back on the couch to show Roncharles practically blown to lay backwards as you gestured that the rifle was sticking straight up in the air as Kragan actually laughed. Like a good, hearty, true, genuine laugh. That was music to your ears as you laughed too.

"So he was a very bad sport." Kragan realised.

"The worst I have ever seen in my life." You immediately agreed as you sat back up and tried to get straightened up again.

"He was also cursing the fox for hiding from the hounds and not practically standing still in front of his rifle so he could shoot it easier. And one look at the Game Warden doing his best to coach the Young Count in how to shoot the rifle. All while the Young Count chastized him for treating him like an imbecile. Because that's exactly what he was and how he was behaving! And the Young Count even threatened to fire the Game Warden! If he disrespected him in front of his guests. Which was just plain embarrassing for all of us. Because the Game Warden was old enough to be our grandfather. And I was raised to always be respectful of everyone. Especially someone as important as the Game Warden who ensured that the house would always have a strong steady supply of game. And the Young Count really hated how once he threatened to fire the Game Warden. My brother Saffiro, offered to hire him as our Game Warden. And for every piece of criticism the Young Count gave that poor man, my brother and I were of course giving the Game Warden praise and accolades for everything we could. Just to try to even things out. Which didn't help my case with the Young Count but that Game Warden really appreciated it." You explained.

"But yet, despite all of that. My brother and I could tell that this was the norm for him to deal with the Young Count. And where the Young Count brushed off his Game Warden's advice, my brother and I invited it and respectfully listened and obeyed any and all advice and council he gave us. Because he knew those woods better than anyone else and we learned some very invaluable insights into the sport and land stewardship which only pissed off the Young Count that we were doing that and then turned on us and accused us of poaching his staff." You added.

"Oh for fuck's sake! No wonder you hated him. I hate him just listening to this." Kragan admitted.

"Well, hopefully he's grown up and out of this since then." You tried to offer.

"Doubt it." Kragan quickly argued.

"Yeah me too." You quickly agreed with an adamant shake of your head that you were sure the fat of your face jiggled with the movement but it just made Kragan's grin grow broader and into a full blown smile.

"So anyway, there we were, in the woods, on a hunt. The fox now long gone with three young teens arguing and fighting with each other and the Game Warden in the woods. Our fathers are no where to be seen or heard. Leaving us to bicker like the children we were. Meanwhile the Young Count was jealous that the Game Warden praised my brother's and I horsemanship and riding seats and shooting skills. And the fact that our father actually taught us how to hunt properly. Whereas the Young Count had only been shooting clays or pigeons let loose barely a pace away from the front of his rifle. So the Young Count criticized me for every piece of praise I received from anyone and everyone else. Because he believed that it was going to my head and making me vain and overconfident. He told me to my face that 'I was much too fat, too plain and rather ugly and much too tall so that I was an elephant awkwardly trying to pose as a gazelle and very boring'." You recounted as Kragan outright frowned and actually looked upset and offended on your behalf. Oh this was going swimmingly. Worst experience of your life endearing you to the Young Baron Kragan Salgria? You'd take that win.

"Which pissed my brother off of course, because I was his sister and he did his best to defend me against such "slander". But the Young Count just brushed him off and reminded us 'on whose lands and whose game we were really hunting and if we couldn't take any criticisms, we should return to the nursery at the house and not get in his way of having victory'. And so, as I'm sure you've been able to gather- he couldn't be more disinterested in me if he tried. And so for the rest of the time, all he could really talk about- besides my ugliness, plainness, fatness and awkwardness- was shooting and the thrill of hunting despite the fact that he was absolutely terribly awful and dreadful at both." You recounted, surprising yourself for sharing this story in the first place because you were sure you wanted this moment to die and be forgotten for forever. But the more you told the story- the more interested Kragan became as he was eagerly eating the food and drinking the tea and listening with rapt attention and actually leaning towards you with every word.

"Oh how awful. What a prick." Kragan spat in disgust.

"Sadly, that wasn't the worst of it." You winced.

"Oh no, how could it get worse?" Kragan asked.

"It got much worse when the Young Count shot one of the hunting dogs." You revealed.

"Yeah, that would make things worse." Kragan readily admitted.

"And the Young Count had the audacity to actually be mad at the dog for being in the way of his shot! Which I found exceedingly upsetting that he had no remorse or feeling, for shooting an innocent animal that was just trying to help him. So I immediately dismounted and tried coming to the dog's aid. He also dismounted and came over and disgustingly appraised that 'at least the poor dog was well shot'. And was more interested in reloading his rifle than the dog who was bleeding out right before him. The other dogs had retreated to be behind the Game Warden for protection. He then blamed me for 'my horrendous fat odor- scaring away all the game and making the hunt as disastorus as it was'. And that's when things went from worse to even more worse." You admitted.

"Please tell me you handed him his ass." Kragan pleaded.

"Oh, yeah. In a very unladylike fashion, I lost my temper. And I told him exactly what I thought of him and how wrong he was about everything. And how his mother had failed to give him a heart or any feeling at all at birth. All while I scooped up the poor dog into my arms and carried her away to try and get the shot out of her and heal her and save the dog's life with the Game Warden. The Warden was actually very touched and impressed with my concern. I used my own hunting coat to move the dog to so that the litter on the forrest floor wouldn't get in her wounds as my brother and I used our own handkerchiefs to try to stop her bleeding out. But,.. to no avail, she died in my arms only twenty paces away. And when she died, I collapsed on the forest floor, covered in her blood and cried. And then when the Young Count rebuked me for being so emotional- I lost every shred of self control. And then I really let my temper get the best of me. I took that prick's own hunting rifle out of his hands by grabbing the barrel- out of his weak, soft hands and bashed him over the head with the butt of it. I knocked him down and then I kicked him the gut and in the privates while he was on the ground and threw the rifle as far away as possible. And of course this was just as our fathers came upon us. From hearing my own sobbing and seeing me standing there without my hunting coat but covered in blood and crying and upset and screaming and crying and fearing the worst and my brother and father had to pull me off from attacking that prick further as he tried to knock me off my own feet to get me to fall myself and attack me in turn. Which was very ungentlemanly of him on top of everything else." You recalled.

"I would have killed him. I would have shot him with his own rifle and then asked how it felt to be full of birdshot himself." Kragan admitted.

"Yeah, my brother was ready to do the same exact thing and even threated to do it too. Just as our fathers thought that the Young Count had actually shot me and I was the one bleeding out. Which is why I was attacking him back, because I was fighting for my life. Which immediately started a fight among our fathers as my father was very angry with his, that his son would actually shoot me. Until the Game Warden and my brother explained that it wasn't my blood, it was the dogs. As they brought the now dead dog over in my hunting jacket and explained what had happened to them. I was still crying into my father's chest about how the Young Count was a monster for shooting his own dog and wasn't even sad or sorry about it and had no heart, no feeling and was mad at the dog and was such a horrible, ruthless, unethical murderer. Which having my brother repeating everything I said as the Game Warden simply tried to state the facts but even his account lined up with my brother's and my own account to give it credibility." You admitted.

"You need to introduce me to your brother, he sounds like a good decent person." Kragan insisted.

"I will because he is." You reassured him.

"But it was very unladylike, and very uncivilized. And while my father was not pleased with my behavior. He was secretly very proud of me for standing up to the overgrown toddler. Especailly when it was my brother who explained the situation and recounted what had been said by the Young Count and what he had done and what had happened and defended me. And when the Game Warden showed them the dead dog, who was the best dog the game Warden Had and had a litter of puppies she was supposed to be nursing and training. That prick's father actually rebuked his son for shooting her and behaving like a spoiled brat and making him look like a monster for rasing such an entitled imbicile and for behaving so indecently. And if Roncharles thought I gave him a beating, it was nothing compared to the one his father gave him for shooting the dog. And for being so mean to me. And while we were both made to apologize, his parents were surprisingly understanding of my reaction to their son's behavior and promised me that that was the worst their son would ever behave in his life. While my father promised the same thing about me and my brother. But my brother and I had never been closer or on better terms after that. So like I said- it was completely disastrous." You explained as Kragan sucked in a breath with his teeth and winced at the story about how awful Roncharles had been.

"Yeah, ok, I get it now, how could you stomach being betrothed to him after that?" Kragan asked.

"Well I had gotten a lot of assurances from his parents and his other siblings and even his tutors that he had improved since then. But until I would see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe their claims. And he felt the exact same way about me, that I felt about him. With such an impactful and memorable first meeting and first impression, it was impossible for both of us to move past it. We have never exchanged letters and he has never once made an effort to get to know me besides that initial first impression ever since. And in all truth, he has actually been against my betrothal to him ever since then too." You shrugged as he seemed to nod in understanding to that.

"I see." Kragan nodded as he drank his tea down and found himself actually impressed by that because if you were still anything like that now- that would actually bode very well for the two of you.

"Although to be fair, he was only a boy of 13 at the time and I was only 15 myself. And Saffiro was only 14 himself. And what made the first impression even more disastrous was that I had just gotten one of my more terrible acne breakouts- the day before I met him. Because I was- understandably- very stressed about it. And the makeup I wore to try to cover the acne up was, admittedly, very badly done. And he told me to my face that 'it made me look ten years older than I was' and 'it made me look both like a young girl trying to parade like a young woman while also making me look like an old hag, trying to parade around like a young woman'. I was of course heartbroken and hurt that he took one look at me and judged me so harshly. And when I tried to wash it off, then he made it worse by actually grimacing at the horrible acne. And even though he was forced by his parents to apologize for his rude remark. He has never made an effort to see me or get to know me ever since. And every time he would ever think of me that image was all his mind could bring up and it disgusted him." You confessed with a wince and a blush yourself.

"But you've clearly grown up and out of that. Every teenager gets acne at that age. And he was the one who started that off on the wrong foot by being a prick. Honestly I would have had the same exact reaction to him if he had done that to me. He could have shown a little more sympathy and understanding. Especially when he no doubt went through the exact same thing at the same age. And I'm actually happy, relieved and proud you put that prick in his place the way you did. It takes courage and guts to stand up to people like that. You're lovely and charming and I can't see or find a single fault in your character or your actions. Then or now. Or even your looks now at least, you're beautiful." Kragan insisted as he gestured to you which got you to smile brightly and laugh again as you felt relieved that Kragan at least approved of your looks, which for you was half the battle.

"Thank you. I appreciate that very much. That does help me feel better about it and myself. I have since learned that the less makeup I put on and the better the quality of the makeup I use - strictly for balls such as this. And never for every day life- the happier my skin is and I only really put on just a hint of rouge and maybe a little bit of something on the lids of my eyes, but nothing more." You confessed.

"Well then you've mastered it because you look lovely." Kragan praised.

"Thank you. And you do look quite handsome yourself Sir. Although if it is not too forward of me- you do look very uncomfortable in that suit coat. You keep scratching at your wrists, I take it the material is itching your skin there?" You asked as you nodded over to his hands to see his hands immediately stop and tightly interlock his fingers to keep himself from scratching it further as he had already practically inhaled his previous plate of snacks because he had been so nervous all day he couldn't eat and now that he was with you he was practically ravenous.

"You're not too forward, you're absolutely correct. This suit jacket- coat, whatever it is- is not only itchy but it's very restrictive and I feel like if I breathe in too deeply, I'll pop the buttons off." Kragan admitted as he ran his fingers through his hair and fought to not rip it off of himself for getting on every nerve he had.

"I know exactly how that feels. You see women have to wear these things called corsets. I don't know if you've heard of them." You began in another light teasing tone which got both of you to laugh and his amused smile was actually practically making you swoon too.

He was a very handsome young man. Roncharles was nothing compared to Kragan. Roncharles was thin from lack of work or physical exertion that wasn't fucking every pretty maid his family had in his estate. You could see Kragan's practically sculpted and bulging muscles through his clothes. He was tall, broad and his hands were rough from years of hard work and he had a roguish orcish charm that you found you quite liked. And were honestly and very genuinely attracted to. Your mind seemed to come to the conclusion that this must have been fate's hand too because if this attraction had bloomed between the two of you while Milli and himself had been betrothed, you would have had to fight this attraction. But now, instead you were free to pursue it, if he wanted to be pursued that is.

"Yes, I have heard of those, my mother and my sisters did nothing but complain about them the whole way here." He admitted with another laugh before he got another plate of food from the tray while you also snagged your favorite and added that to your plate and refilled your teacup and offered to refill his as he gratefully handed it back to you so you could before you handed it back, your fingers grazing his and his touch almost felt electric but in a very good way.

"If a woman is not used to wearing them- they can be very uncomfortable. Even I hate to wear them. They are the bane of my existence." You groaned as you stuck out your tongue as if you were gagging which got him to bark a loud and very genuine and amused laugh as his posture in his seat became much more relaxed as did yours which was very good sign that this was starting to work, and work very well.

"Well then you're in good company. At home my sisters and my mother simply dress comfortably because we still live in a small family home while the estate is built up in Solowards and while we're in town at the King's Court, my father and I just rent an apartment. But we know that once we officially move in, we will be expected to be "more in fashion". Most of the time we're either on the seas or in the skies and it's important to be comfortable while traveling while wearing good quality clothes that won't rip and tear apart if you have to work on the ship." Kragan admitted.

"Oh perfect. I have never really done any traveling. Most of my father's business associates come to him or does his business in the King's Court and my family has a house in town we keep to afford my mother easier access to The Queen's Court. Or for my father to have easier access to the King's Court. Otherwise, they rarely ever has to leave this place. Which is our country estate. And other than going to other estates for balls and things we don't travel much at all. That would be a nice change of pace and exciting, well, if you'd let me come along that is." You clarified.

"Yeah, I just...remembered we're technically betrothed and I guess engaged?" Kragan asked and you could see his weariness and discomfort and fear return in an instant. You felt frustrated that you were losing ground that you needed to reclaim. Time to go for 'free choice'.

"Only if you want to be. I'm not going to force you into the match if you don't want to be in it. I've seen and unfortunately felt what it's like to be in an arrangement at least one party doesn't want to be in. Although for you, I guess it would feel like I'm more of a consolation prize if anything." You allowed.

"No! You're not a consolation prize at all! I'm the one feeling sorry for you that you're engaged to me." Kragan blurted out again.

"Do you think so little of yourself or do you feel that we're that mismatched?" You asked worriedly.

"No, you're lovely, I just...I feel unworthy." Kragan confessed with an apologetic look.

"You're not unworthy Sir." You immediately tried to reassure him.

"But see, you are still calling me "Sir". You're so formal and..." Kragan began before you reached out and simply touched his hand to stop him from spiraling, like calming a spooking horse.

"I see your point. I was just trying to be respectful but if you find that uncomfortable. Then we can very easily dispense with any and all formalities. Let's try this again." You suggested before you turned to face him completely and scooted closer to him so your knees were practically touching him to initiate a more intimate but more comfortable space.

"Hi, I'm Tessa," you offered your hand to shake his.

"Kragan." Kragan offered as he shook your hand and was impressed you shook it firmly and had a surprisingly strong grip for such a high borne lady. As his mind rather naughtily thought of what else that strong grip of yours could be grasping.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person Kragan. I'm sorry if I upset you by my formalities, even though I previously suggested we forgo them. That wasn't fair and it wasn't consistent. And was probably very confusing because I said one thing and did another and that's not fair to you. If you want me to call you by your name, I will. And you are more than welcome to call me by my name. I realize my full name is a very long mouthful and even my own parents don't use my full name at home. My friends and family just call me Tessa. And it's why I usually go by my initials in my correspondence. Because if I tried to write out my whole name and title, I would take up an entire page of a letter, which is entirely unnecessary. So, let's clear the air and set the record straight and lay all our cards on the table so to speak ok?" You suggested.

"Ok." Kragan agreed.

"Kragan, I do not feel like a piece of cattle being sold off to you and I don't want you to look at me that way either. We are both people, with rights and free will. And I don't want you to feel burdened or trapped by the possibility of being betrothed to me. Or that if you do you agree to the betrothal- that the life you've worked so hard to build for yourself will be over. And that you have to abandon it in order to embrace me. I understand that your business is very "hands on" so to speak. And that you will most likely spend the majority of your time steering and driving your business- with your own two hands. And I'm perfectly understanding and sympathetic to that." You reassured him.

"Not every man has the luxury of doing the majority of his business at home like my father does. And not every man has the luxury of traveling the world like you have either. And most are usually somewhere in the middle and that's ok. If anything, your life is just beginning and your opportunities to take your life in any direction you want it to go are all around you and I want you to be happy with your choices. Even if one of those choices isn't to be betrothed to me. Even if, all I can ever be to you- is a friend. Then that's all I will ask for and pursue. And I will find contentment in it, I promise. Every person has their own boundaries and those boundaries need to be respected and validated. The last thing I want to do is to force you into circumstances you don't want to be in. I've lived the last five years of my life like that- and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies and I certainly will not do that to you too. Because you deserve better. You're Captain Kragan Salgria for crying out loud! You were the youngest but best captain in your father's fleet! The entire world is your oyster and for you, it's practically laiden with pearls, figuratively speaking at least." You insisted.

"And all I am, is a girl who was betrothed to a guy she hated, and who hated her just as much. But because our parents thought it was a good political and business idea, we were stuck with each other. But because he met my sister and instantly fell in love with her, much to our mutual delight and relief. Because to me, he was an asshole, to her he's practically Prince Charming and I'm really happy he can be that way for her and to her. Because I love my sister and I feel that's what she deserves. And I never want to take that away from her. That just means that my own possibilites and opportunities are opening up for me too. For the first time in my life, I feel like I can breathe easily. And breathe freely without Ronchalres doing his best to find fault even in my breathing.And I get to meet you. Which let me say, it's been a wonderful change of pace to actually talk to another being without having to slice through like two to three dozen layers of formaliites and pretenses. And this is the most fun I've ever had a ball at my own house." You confessed.

"And clearly you feel the same way about me, you don't want me to feel that I'm tied to you whether I want to be or not. But just talking with you, and getting to know you and you getting to know me. It gives me hope that we can at least be friends. Good, genuine friends. Which any and all relationships, no matter the kind, should start with friendship as it's base. However, I'm open and willing to be betrothed to you but only if you want to be betrothed to me. Because what you see with me is what you get. And if you're not happy with me the way I am, I'm old enough and mature enough to take that rejection well. And I'm strong enough to bare it." You insisted.

"I've spent the five years trying to make a relationship work with a man who was disgusted just with the thought of me. And I was so frustrated that he would never give me another chance to try again and at least try to prove to him that I had grown up and changed. At least this time with you, I can say with a clear conscience that I tried and that will be enough." You insisted as you reached out and held one of his hands in both of yours as you kept your gaze fixed firmly with his as you were relieved he was allowing you to even touch him this much and the fact that he was gently squeezing back gave you encouragement that you were on the right path.

"Kragan, don't worry about upsetting your father or mine. They're grown men- they will make peace with disappointment. And to hell with them and their expectations. It's your life. You have every right to live it how you please. So don't pressure yourself into accepting me or push yourself beyond your own comfortable limits. Or your own natural attractions because that's unnatural, unsustainable and unfair and unrealistic to both of us. And we both deserve better. Wouldn't you agree?" You reasoned with him.

"I would. I just don't want you to feel stuck with me." Kragan admitted but despite his words, his grip on you tightened as he took his other hand and put it on the outside of yours and leaned forward towards you.

"Kragan, I don't feel stuck with you. If anything I feel comfortable and at ease with you. I don't even converse this freely with my own father. My brothers? Yes because we're siblings and bonds between siblings can be close yet adversarial depending on the age and maturity level." You admitted which got him to grin fondly.

"True." Kragan admitted as his thumb stroked the outside of your hand which felt marvelous.

"Kragan, I just wanted the opportunity to talk to you, the real you. And not through a mask and a costume you feel you have to wear to fit in here. If that damn suit jacket is irritating you, just take the damn thing off. It will help you breathe easier and feel more at ease. I want you to feel comfortable with me and around me and I want you to feel and to know that you can trust me to be yourself around me because I'm just trying my best to be that way around you. The reason Roncharles and I clashed was because we never got past our own pretenses. And that's what doomed our relationship and because Roncharles doesn't put on a pretense with Milli and she doesn't put on a pretense with him- that's why they work so well because they were able to move past it and beyond it. And I'm happy for them. And I'm not angry or upset or jealous that he has switched his attentions. If anything I'm so relieved she took him off my hands because him and I were like oil and water for some reason. We just didn't mix well at all. And if we don't end up being able to get along and we clash for whatever reason, I won't hold it against either of us. Some people just can't get along no matter how hard they try." You explained.

"Well then I'm relieved too. Because that blind idiot doesn't deserve the wonder that you are." Kragan insisted and your heart fluttered and butterflies had invaded your stomach because that was very high praise.

"Well I'm happy you feel that way. And Milli is missing out on the chance of a lifetime by choosing him over you. Because if you were to agree to this betrothal, I would simply see it as an invitation to join your family. And your family is wonderful. Your sisters are bright and fun and your younger brothers are spunky and hilarious. And you obviously work very hard and have worked very hard most if not all your life. With your father getting to sail the nine seas and see places I have never even heard of yet." You praised which brought a fond, appreciative smile to his face.

"For me, it is an exciting opportunity to even have a chance to be a part of such a well traveled and worldy family. That has gotten to see and experience more than most ever dream of doing. I'm actually happy and relieved you even like me at all and even find me remotely attractive and can laugh and talk with me as much as you have. We have conversed more in the last few minutes than Roncharles and I have done our whole lives. And talking to you is actually amusing and really nice. Especially to do so honestly, candidly and rather easily. And in all honesty, if you choose to be betrothed to me, you would be the one saving me from a completely hopeless and loveless match either to Roncharles or any of his equally stupid friends. That would have been such a miserable marriage if I had gone through with it. If anything you should feel like a hero. Not unworthy at all." You reassured him as you both squeezed the other's hands a little tighter for emphasis.

"Well then I'm happy I could do so. And I'm happy and relieved you feel that way too. And I'm so happy, relieved and grateful for this. You have no idea." Kragan thanked you before he rather boldly brought your hands up to his mouth so he could kiss your knuckles which seemed to ignite your imagination of what else his so luscious lips could be kissing.

"You're welcome. Thank you for indulging me." You thanked him.

"You're welcome, let me know how else I can do so in the future and I'll try my best to accommodate you." Kragan insisted before he took your advice and took that damn coat off and his shirt was all kinds of creased and wrinkled shirt underneath but even his vest was still tight and only accentuated his own broad shoulders and his own pinched waist that you could feel your cheeks darken even more, no need for a rouge on your cheeks now. Your body was providing more than enough all on it's own.

"So you don't have any disappointments about this?" He asked.

"The only disappointment I have about any of this is the fact that over the years his mother become a dear friend of mine and we probably will continue to keep in touch because Countess Kathryn Lavine is a really nice, thoughtful caring woman. And I'm sure after Roncharles marries my sister, Kathryn and I will stay friends but that is it. Otherwise there was no other emotional attachment on either of our sides. So there is no affection or love lost here. I'm happy that he and my sister are happy together. Besides, who am I to get between my sister and her happiness? I know she would not do me the dishonor of becoming my husband's mistress and I would hate to see the natural attraction and affection between them bloom under my former circumstances. So in all honesty, this is probably the best way these circumstances could have played out. They get to be together with honor and legitimacy and you and I get a chance to have fresh new start." You reassured him with a genuine and easy smile.

"You know, I never even considered that. Honestly, I haven't been more in touch with you because I just...I came to the wrong conclusions about you and what you'd be like. And I just thought that your letter was more of a formality than genuine interest." Kragan admitted.

"Well that's the trouble with letters versus face to face conversation- is you can't hear tone or inflection and with letters, depending on who is sending them. Words can be ambiguous and can easily be misread. Especially when you're trying to "read between the lines" so to speak, and that's just plain exhausting. I know if our positions were reversed, I would be just as cautious and weary as you have been. And you have every right and justification for that hesitancy and weariness." You sympathized.

"We unfortunately live in times where arranged marriages among the nobility are the norm. However since you are new to the nobility, you may feel very differently about it. And from talking to you, you obviously do. And I don't fault you for it, if anything it speaks to your intellect and your firm grasp on reality. Because you've grown up in a very different world than I have. And you've probably gotten to see almost if not all of it. You could have chosen to settle down anywhere. You could have built an estate anywhere. You could have chosen any bride you wanted and you still have those choices to make. Nothing is set in stone. All I wanted tonight was to see if we could at least try to get along and be friends at least. And if you were as dead set against me as much as Young Count Lavine has been, I would have called it off. Because I didn't want to trade one miserable marraige for another." You reassured him.

"But, this is still your life, and your choice and your call. And you deserve to live your life how you want and find peace and happiness in it. You're a man of success and business and a man of the world. Your possibilities are endless. So I completely understand your reluctance and hesitancy to settled down here. Because if our positions were reversed, I'm sure I would be reluctant and hesitant about this arrangement too. All of this is so new to you and your family. It's a lot to get used to and probably a pretty large culture shock." You reasoned as he seemed to weigh those words over and seemed to relax just a little as the tension in his shoulders seemed to drop and not hold so much tension they were holding only a moment before.

"Culture shock doesn't even begin to cover it. Every place has it's own languages, culture and customs and traditions and trying to keep up with all of it makes my head spin. And coming to this ball tonight, had me feeling terrified because I was sure the moment I even crossed the threshold, I was going to say something wrong or do something wrong and offend everyone and mess everything up." Kragan confessed.

"And yet you've done none of those things. I haven't been offended by you or your manners or anything you've said. And we're speaking candidly and openly, which for a lot of people, it cause enough for offense. I'm just grateful and relieved neither of us are those kinds of people." You reassured him.

"Me too." Kragan smiled fondly at you.

"So, just to be clear, you're not upset you're betrothed to someone of a different kind?" He asked.

"No. I have seen first hand how blended families can make it work and how hybrids are just as healthy as their pureblooded counterparts, if not more so." You shook your head no.

"Are you?" You asked him.

"No, I see it all the time everywhere else I go. And it's the norm everywhere else- except here apparently." He confessed.

"Well, then we get to be the firsts here, if you want to be the first that is." You reasoned.

"I do actually." Kragan admitted with a bashful smile.

"So do I." You smiled back fondly.

"So just like that? It's that easy?" Kragan asked.

"Do you want me to make this difficult? I can if you really want me to. I would do that for you if that would make you happy. I could always throw a temper tantrum and do everything in my power to make you as miserable as I possibly could, if you really really wanted me to. I don't want to let you down and disappoint you and have all worried for nothing." You gently teased with another laugh which got him to laugh because of the clearly sarcastic teasing tone you were using.

"No that's ok, I would hate for you to go out of your way, I would hate for you to trouble yourself so." He finally teased back which got you to laugh in turn.

"Well if you ever want me to, just say the word. I would happily go into all kinds of hysterics. I can scream and cry and throw things and break things and really relive my toddler days." You offered with a giggle as you couldn't help but press your side because of all the laughter was giving you just a twinge of discomfort from your sides going through the motions of laughing so much.

"Well thank you for the offer, but I will politely decline it. Because in all honesty, this is a million times better. I would prefer if we could just stay like this, nice, calm, easy. It's much more pleasant and gives me hope that we actually have a chance of being happy with each other." Kragan admitted.

"Me too. I think we have better odds than most. Mostly because we're both actually willing to try." You appraised.

"You know I have to say, I'm so relieved you're nothing like I thought you'd be." Kragan admitted.

"Me too." You admitted.

"How do you mean?" Kragan asked curiously.

"Well, honestly I thought instead of convincing you that you weren't buying me, I had expected to be convincing you of the opposite. Most men the gentry are very controlling and -with as generous as your family's offer was- I was expecting you to treat me like you did own me already. I thought our first conversation was going to be you telling me how my life was going to be and what exactly you were going to expect and demand of me and how I better deal with it or else." You confessed, feeling a bit embarrassed that you had misjudged him so poorly.

"Well sadly, I was expecting the exact same thing from you. I was expecting you to remind me- that you're the one with all the nobility and give me my marching orders. And how if I didn't follow your orders you were going to tell your dad to bring hell or highwater until I met your demands. And I thought it was you that was going to be telling me that I should be lucky you were even going to breathe the same air as me." Kragan admitted, feeling the same.

"I'm so sorry if I ever gave you any indication that..." You began to apologize.

"No! You didn't indicate any of that at all! You and your family have been the only ones in the gentry that have ever treated us with any kind of kindness or respect. This is the first social gathering we've been invited to since we got the title. And because your dad used our company before and after we got the title and never haggled over our shipping prices and fees, and have always treated us with respect. And he even vouched for us to the King that we got the Baron title and the lands in the first place. That's why my dad offered what he did. Because your dad pointed out that in order for the rest of the gentry to take us seriously, we needed to further legitimize our station in gentry society and since the betrothal, he's been right. But from the way others treated us before and especially after we got the title of Barons. That's why I thought you'd be the way I feared you'd be. Before we got the title, others in the gentry were happy to use our shipping company but always tried to do so at a reduced rate because almost all of our crews are orcs from all kinds of clans from all over the supersphere. But the gentry here don't think that orcs deserve good wages in the first place. And then after we got the title of Baron people in the gentry act like we bribed the King with a fleet of ships for it. And so they actually stopped doing business with us altogether. Even at much higher rates from less than reputable companies just because the people who run them aren't orcs." Kragan explained as you bit your tongue as you realized your father had orchestrated this for a long time now.

"I'm so sorry others have treated you that way. If I had known, I would have changed my letters to include a lot more assurances and reassurances that I would never treat you or anyone else in your family that way. That is inexcusable behavior. And I know for a fact that no one in the gentry would ever treat my father, much less anyone else in the gentry that way. And I will do all I can to make sure that as long as I draw breath, that type of behavior stops immediately. Because if the King wishes to keep your family and your business and especially any income he might receive from any taxes on anything you and your family make. He better be reminding his kingdom of exactly what they will be missing out on. Because my father told me you have several other places to go and build a home. And you can always say 'thanks but no thanks' to the King about building an estate and settling down here. And then you can promptly leave with all of your business and ships and get citizenship and title and land holdings anywhere in the supersphere you want." You reminded him.

"Places like Yekmeni or Wakanear where the rulers are orcs and would be much more welcoming and much more accomodating. And I hope the people who have treated you that way end up suffering great losses for their prejudice and are cheated out of the very business they would withhold from you. Especially when it's so unfounded." You insisted as you were genuinely incensed on his behalf as Kragan gave you a broad appreciative grin.

"And here I thought I would have had to argue about how my company and our crews are worth their prices to begin with." Kragan admitted.

"No, that's the last thing you need to convince me of. Your results and your reputation speak for themselves. My father chooses his business partners very carefully. And many in the gentry have been offended when they have come to him for business ventures and he's been able to see that they're bad and will lose money. And then since they are usually so insistant, he takes up a counter wager and usually always wins. He says that all business has risk, some risks are smaller than others. And that sometimes with great risk comes great rewards but usually the greater the risk, the higher probability that it will fail. And usually after things play out and he wins and the counter wagers pay out, it usually leads to ruined friendships and alliances. But even the King and Count Lavine and many others have learned that my father has a sixth sense about money and business and whatever my father decides, so many more follow. And the fact that my father's business dealings with your shipping company, have not changed before or after you got your title. And to the point he vouched for you to the King himself, speaks very highly of you and your family and their virtues. That's why I have never had a problem with this match. Because I trust my father and his judgment and meeting you face to face and actually getting to know you better, I can see why my father would do so. You and your family are good, honorable, trustworthy people." You praised.

"Thank you for being the same way. You are a lot like your father in a lot of ways. And I mean that in the best, most flattering way. Your father is a very- no nonsense, speak plainly and to the point kind of guy. Where you always know where you stand with him but at the same time, he can be fun and relaxed and at ease and put others at ease. And I'm happy you're like that too." Kragan admitted.

"Well this approach was my father's idea. He had told me about your hesitancy and encouraged me to just be open and honest with you and to forgo the formalities and just try to talk to you. Try find some common ground with you. And that there would be a lot of it. And to simply be myself and prove to you that I wasn't your worst nightmares in the flesh. And that if I could get you to laugh and relax and open up just a little with me, that I would be pleasantly surprised and would find a friend with you. And I'm happy I followed his advice and that he was right." You admitted.

"Me too. Remind me to thank him later. Because this is exactly what I needed. The whole way here, I had convinced myself that you were going to be like everyone else and that you were not going to be your father's daughter. And I'm so happy and relieved to be wrong. I feel so much better about all of this and I'm really looking forward to showing you anything and everything you'd want to see of the world and myself. Because you're lovely, inside and out and the fact that you're willing to try and find common ground and just be friendly without pushing or forcing anything, was the best decision and the right course to take. Thank you so much for this." Kragan thanked you.

"Thank you. Hopefully you'll be pleased to know that I'm surprisingly content with less than most would expect. Please, don't let my station and noble title fool you. As long as the offer was not a hardship on your family. And as long as you and your family can treat me with the same consideration, respect, care and kindness I will do my best to show you. I'll be happy and content and I will do my best to get along with you and everyone else in your family and friend circle. Plus Forestrong is a good journey's distance away through some gorgeous country and according to my father, you're still living in a family home while your family's estate is being built. I would think it's a great honor to be the first lady of the estate and hopefully be the first in a long line of distinguished and honorable ladies. It will be an honor to be in such a legacy." You professed.

"We're the ones who are honored. I'm just happy it's not all business for you." Kragan admitted.

"Well, in all honestly, unfortunately, before tonight and before I met you and got to talk to you and speak with you face to face. I would have to confess that in my previous betrothal, it was just business and nothing more. I have spent most of my life thinking that it would always be that way for me. I'm a woman who was born into a noble family and brought up knowing that betrothals and marriage alliances are usually just a business practice. And I have always resigned myself to the knowledge that such a practice would be an intrinsic part of my life. Marriage has always been a business to the wealthy and powerful, especially among nobility. But you are new to it, since this is your family's first generation with it. I'm sure you probably had your own plans for your own future only a few short years ago. Plans that thanks the King, have had to undoubtedly change. Perhaps you are still mourning their loss." You noted as you looked him over carefully, trying to get a good read on him.

"I too wish I could deny such things, but in all honesty, it's true. It felt like overnight, everything has changed since the King awarded my family the title of Barons and I was happy with the way my life was before. It was much simpler and now that we are Barons and have to engage in politics instead of just business, everything feels infinitely more complicated. And I'm not taking to the changes well. I feel like a common seagull trying to parade around like a peacock and I'm not used to any of it." He confessed lowly.

"I don't think you're a common seagull, you strike me more as an eagle being forced to parade as a peacock. You're used to flying and soaring freely and now you probably feel like you're in a cage being handed puzzles you were never trained on how to solve." You ventured.

"How old are you again?" He asked.

"Twenty." You answered.

"You speak as though you're three times that age. I mean you don't look it, obviously, but you... you speak wisely, as if you were. Sorry, I'm not that great with words." He apologized as he stumbled over your words as you simply smiled your best, most understanding smile at him. Knowing what he meant and took no offense at all, firstly because you weren't offended but you also knew that this moment was crucial, your family's future depended on you not getting offended or upset. You needed to win him over just as much as Milli had won Roncharles over. It was clear he was not going to be taken by a pretty face. But he was a man of simple practicality so you needed to appeal to that.

"Only because I've lived my whole life making peace with it. I am only the third generation to my father's line of nobility. And I'm the 22'nd in my mothers. My paternal grandfather won the Duchy in the biggest bet and gamble when my father was a boy. That's how my family got this estate and my grandfather never stopped making big gambles. And while he lost a few times, for the most part, he usually won and they have paid out handsomely. And my grandfather and my father got to amass quite a bit of wealth which is why my own dowry and my sister's dowry were as handsome as they are. When my father was a young man and his family had all this money, but were brand new the gentry. And treated with the same weariness yours is facing now. They did what your family has done, and my grandfather made an offer for my mother's hand for my father. Since my mother and her family had all the lineage but were poor in estate. They barely had enough money to keep the candles lit and the fires going and were about to sell all the family heirlooms- just to feed themselves. And then my father's offer was remarkably similar to your own. And with that money, it set my mother's family up and help sustain them and keep the estate and themselves financially viable and paid off all their debts." You revealed.

"So I'm not offended by these circumstances, if anything, I feel a bit peculiar that history is repeating itself. What has helped my parents have a successful marriage, is that they communicate honestly. Without pretense or reserve and communicate about anything and everything on their minds and they make a remarkable team and have common goals and help each other reach their own individual goals as well as their common ones. They are happy to give each other their little happinesses and thoughtful gestures and affections, as small or as grand as they can be. To be honest, they still pass love notes to each other whenever they have to be apart, especially when my mother is in the Queen's Court and my father is in the King's Court. They bring a messenger and even though they are seperate, they pass notes to each other and stay in constant contact, telling the other what is happening as it's happening. So that they both know what's going on with each other and in the other court. Not even the King and Queen communicate that much." You informed him rather proudly.

"And it has been a wonderful life, having both parents love and care for each other as much as they do. True, it did not start out that way. They started out simply being friends and it has blossomed over time and grew stronger. Like any sapling growing into a tree. It just has to start with a seed and get watered through attention and affection and given time to grow." You revealed and tried to illustrate as he seemed to nod his head a little in understanding at your metaphor.

"And while I understand your misgivings and your own apprehension, I completely sympathize and empathize with you. Please understand that at the end of the day, if all we can ever be is friends, then that is all I will hope for and I'm not expecting you to fall instantly in love with me, nor I you. That's unrealistic and unreasonable. Attraction is what you see, infatuation is what you feel, but love- real, true love is knowing, love is trusting and love is not blind, but sees another for all that they are and choosing to care for them anyway, as perfectly imperfect as they are. I am not perfect, I have more flaws than I care to admit. But I am not so naive to believe that you are perfect either. We will both make mistakes and have misunderstandings. But a willingness in attitude and willingness to forgive, will go a long way. And if we are to build any kind of foundation for our relationship, I want it's foundation to be honesty and understanding." You professed as he sat there and stared at you in both surprise and awe as you could see the tension in his frame begin to give way as he finally seemed to accept what you were saying as the truths it was as he seemed to relax completely.

"So, what would your little pleasures be? What makes you happy?" You asked as you could see he was coming around to this which gave you some relief that this was working and you had reassured him enough.

"Nothing befitting a Baron." He shook his head as his eyes became downcast as his shoulders sagged. You could already tell he was afraid of being judged.

"So, Kragon, will you do me the honor of being honest with me since I have been honest with you?" You proposed.

"Yes," he nodded.

"Then please answer me honestly and know that I will not judge you on your answers and I promise not to get upset at any answer to a question I asked. I just want us to be honest with each other, that is all. What makes you happy?" You repeated.

"Sailing, I've gotten to sail with my father since I was a boy and I could probably trace our routes by heart, both in the seas and in the skies." He confessed.

"Now that you are a Baron, does that mean that you don't get the opportunity to spend as much time sailing as you want to?" You asked before he nodded in confirmation.

"Since my family became Barons, my father has taken me to the King's Court most of the time ever since." He confessed.

"Court politics go hand in hand with intrigue. It's a mind game. And if you've spent your life sailing, I would imagine it feels worse than a stuffy, cramped cabin to you. And I know when I was presented at the Queen's Court to enter into society only two years ago, how I felt so anxious to be among so many people yet feeling all alone. But my previous betrothal to the Count Lavine kept me above the fray. My sister Milli was presented at the Queen's Court only a few weeks ago and she's quickly had to learn how deep and treacherous those waters can be. My youngest sister will be presented at the Quenn's Court next season. And I'm genuinely afraid for her and how she will fare." You admitted.

"Sometimes at court, whether it's the Queen's or the King's or especially when they are together and it's the Royal Court. It can feel like a pack of wolves if you find yourself on the wrong side of it. Which is why my parents have worked so tirelessly to make sure they always stay on the right side of things. The rules change all the time and what is shunned one day is celebrated the next and is thrown out the day after that. Like the waves of the sea only it's your livelihood and reputation that's at stake and teetering in the waves. And it's terrifying." You recounted.

"That's why some gentlemen and nobles who can afford to travel extensively, often do. As long as your steward and your housekeeper can keep things running smoothly at home. And any tennants you have, keep paying their rent or your businesses can forward you your income. You really only need to come home every once in a while just to check in on things. I know of several gentlemen in nobility that have rarely ever shown their faces at court. And as long as they pay their dues to The King and keep a trusted friend at court in their place. Just to keep an eye and an ear on things and report back what's happening, very few people care where or how they spend their time otherwise. Perhaps you would benefit from such an arrangement yourself Kragan." You suggested sagely.

"Perhaps." Kragan agreed.

"So what makes you happy Tessa?" Kragan asked curiously as he seemed to settle down and really take note of you, allowing himself to really take all of you in. He was still in awe at the sheer beauty that was before him. He thought Count Lavine would be mad to think a gorgeous young lady such as yourself was plain of all things. You were exquisite. Tastefully elegant but not audaciously lavish. You were discrete in both self and the way you were dressed. You were modest and it became you beautifully. He still felt like a moth made to look like a butterfly but there was an ease about you that had him forgetting his discomfort. It was your ease and pleasantness yet your down to earth nature that he found the most attractive. He would have thought you would be insisting to him about the kind of life you were expecting to live or else. He would have thought that he would be feeling anger and resentment roll off of you like tidal waves. But this was surprising him in the most pleasant way. He found he was relieved for it and feeling like he had been dreading this for nothing. You were lovely, inside and out. And he coudn't be happier to be proven wrong.

"Books. I love to read about many different subjects. But my favorites are always especially good stories, with adventure and travels and happy endings. If I'm to be your Baroness of your estate, my only request is that your future estate have a decent library." You answered amiably.

"That is already underway." He reassured you which brought a fond smile to your face, although you doubted you would live long enough to see it.

"Good." You nodded.

"Is there any other little happinesses you have?" Kragan asked and before you knew it, you had spent most of the evening just talking. Kragan and yourself both drawing closer and closer together to the point you felt like both of you were in the company of a good friend. Which was an outcome you could only hope to dream of. Every little bit that Kragon relaxed and openned up gave you a sense of victory that you were conquering his mind which was the key to ingratiating yourself into his affections as well.

You had been so worried that his own nervousness and anxiety would forbid him from relaxing and really engaging in conversation with you. But the more you gently drew him out and assured him and reassured him that you would be non judgemental, he opened up like a flower and it was beautiful.

Kragan, for being so handsome, was also incredibly humble. If not incredibly passionate about things which you appreciated. The way he spoke of the sailing both in the sea and in the skies had your soul aching to see it and sail it yourself. And what really struck you was his gentle reverence for you. And his respect and his willingness to listen to your opinion and take your advice and he treated you like his intellectual equal, if not superior. But not in a self depreciating way. And what had started off as fearful anxiousness, melted away into ease with familiarity within what felt like mere minutes but you knew was probably closer to a few hours.

He was proud of his family's accomplishments, but he also didn't think too much of himself. Which you found you liked very much. And by the call to dinner, you helped him get his suit coat back on before you both eagerly went to dinner. And happily sat next to each other at dinner and continued to talk excitedly with each other. You stole a few glances at Millie to see her in a similar state. The Young Count was still practically enchanted with her. As was his parents. Which was a great sucess for Millie.

But you were slowly working on Kragan too. Once you got a good read on him, you realized going too quickly would scare him off and spook him. You had to go at his pace. But once you got going, it was easy to keep momentum. Usually it was a death sentence socially for a young couple to be alone. But you needed to keep the privacy- to keep him comfortable and keep him open and keep it one on one. And by being open and honest to a degree yourself, it encouraged him to be the same and with the servants always being within earshot and a line of sight. They would act as a "chaperone" but at a respectful distance while also secretly reporting your progress to your parents which were keen to hear how you were doing. As they had silently been praying that both you and Millie would conquer your prospective matches with success.

Thankfully after dinner, you got to dance one dance with the Young Baron. And while he had rhythm, he didn't quite get the steps right. But it was easy to forgive and once the dance was over, you begged to be led away to catch your breath. Which he was eager to do- before you once again, found yourself on the same candle and lantern lit balcony. The couch had a fur this time for you- to stave off the chill of the night air.

Kragan and yourself happily talked the night away from the comfort of the couch. Right next to each other, the fur covering both of you, as your head leaned on his warm but strong shoulder as you both reclined on the sofa and looked up at the stars.

He was telling you about how to chart courses by them and knew all of the star constellations by heart. You readily picked up where you had left off in close, surprisingly intimate conversation as it felt like each of you got to bare more and more of your souls to each other and to feel relief when what you were brave enough to show, was accepted with kindess, gentleness, reverence and appreciation. You readily and easily took each other's hands and despite his larger hand, it was still comfortable for you to hold him. And his hand was so incredibly warm since your hands were always chronically cold from having bad circulation.

And by the time a servant came to fetch him because his family was wanting to know where he was, you both had formed an attachment and an easy enough friendship that bordered on flirtation and romance. You were both relieved could be had between the two of you. You were both relieved that the other was so agreeable and had hope that this was actually going to work out well. Very well in fact.

Well, for as long as it could of course. Because once your body would completely fail you, it would inevitably end.

"So where did you keep sneaking off to tonight?" His mother asked as they made their ways to the rooms since it had become so late, they were invited to stay the night and once inside the suite of rooms did Kragan answer fully as he eagerly divested himself of his jacket and vest, having felt like he was being constrained in them all night.

"We just went to a nearby balcony, and we just talked. The whole time- about everything. She's exquisite. She's nothing like I thought she would be. She's beautiful from the inside out. God her eyes! They're that perfect glasz color, they're blue yet green and somehow gray, all the same time but yet they can look so intensely teal or even turqoise in the right light. They're the color of the sea and it's the only sea I feel like I couldn't be happier to be lost in. It's such a sweet and calm sea too. She's friendly and honest yet tactful and incredibly sweet and amiable and accommodating and wise and so generous with her intellect. Of which she owns vast amounts of. Which was the most impressive to me. She's unassuming and humble and discrete and incredibly insightful. She has wisdom of someone who is three to four times her age but yet she still has fresh and vibrant views of the world. And isn't jaded or callused but not naive either, she's the perfect balance of everything. We got along famously. It was as if my greatest friend and ally in the world was just wating for me. She treated me as if we were already friends. As if we were already on the best terms." Kragan praised with a overwhelmingly happy and love drunk smile.

"She took the time to be gentle and genuine with me and worked so hard to assure me and reassure me that she wasn't anything like anyone else in the gentry. She wasn't judgemental. She wasn't angry or upset. She's nothing like I imagined she would be. She is very much her father's daughter, but in the best ways. She's easy going, she's calm, she's serene but she's also fun and exciting and really entertaining. And I wish tonight could never end so that I could just keep talking to her until my voice gives out. She's so easy to talk to too. And I feel safe letting my guard down with her. And talking to her and confiding in her because it's like I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that she will keep whatever I talk to her about- in confidence. She's on my side. She's in my corner and she didn't want to push this on me at all. She made it abundantly clear that I was the one who ultimately would make the decision about her and that it was my choice to make. And if I decided against her, she wasn't going to have any hurt feelings. All she wanted was just to talk. All she wanted was just to be my friend if at all possible. And that's exactly what I wanted and needed the most. She was and is everything I want and need. Like even if you guys hadn't already approached us with this betrothal. I would be pursuing it anyway of my own free will. Like I very much want to be betrothed to her. Because she is everything I could ever hope to look for in a mate and so much more than I could have ever hoped or imagined or even dreamed of." Kragan eagerly professed which got both of his parents to raise thier eyebrows in surprise to hear that declaration.

"If she accepts me, she will be the perfect and ideal Baroness to our estate. She would be the perfect Lady to any estate she wanted to be and anyone who would doubt her is a fool. I could not have chosen a greater partner in life if I tried. At first, all she wanted from me is just to be my friend and is happy and content with just that. And yet, in only a few hours I find myself wanting so much more than that. Friendship between us came so easily, but it wasn't forced or too much too fast. It was good and surprisingly natural. She never forced herself or her ideals or demands or expectations on me. But she instead actually took the time to sympathize with me and empathize with me and draw me out and didn't judge me at all. Which was the thing I was fearing the worst. And I feared and fretted and fought against this for nothing, there isn't a single thing I can find wrong about her or this match." Kragan expressed.

"Even when I should have been the one to do those things with her. It was as easy as catching a good current or the trade winds when you see them. Fate is being very kind to us by putting her in our lives and I don't feel worthy of her. But am I ever grateful to the gods for her. We became the fastest yet best of friends in just a few short hours. And yet I selfishly want a million more nights just like tonight and if I had known that a woman such as her was waiting for me. Just wanting to befriend me, I never would have resisted." He confessed while both of his parents were instantly relieved that Kragan had seemingly changed his mind about the matter and had a complete change in attitude. Because he was completely against it from the start. And they knew that their own prayers were being answered as shortly thereafter, their servant came with a trunk full of clothes for them to wear the following day that had been fetched from the local Inn before Kragan said his goodnights and laid in the beautiful bed in the opulant room and knew that he was going to make his estate a hundred times more lavish than this. You deserved to be treated like a goddess and live in perfect comfort and luxury.

Meanwhile Millie was escorting Roncharles and his family to their own lavish rooms. The best ones in the house, since they were the highest of rank of all the guests. She had danced every dance with Roncharles. And would stand with no other. They were inseparable all evening and Roncharles was utterly enraptured with her and was delighted, relieved and elated that you and Millie had switched. He couldn't imagine ever parting with her to lowly orc Barons. He instantly knew that he just had to have her as his wife as soon as possible and once Milli said her goodnights, he stayed and stole a quick kiss to seal the deal anyway. Because by morning, he was going to be proposing to her and had his parents send for "the ring". Because he was going to propose to her as soon as he possibly could. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 1.6K 14
"Forever, I had stayed silent, closed off, cut by the doldrums of family politics and societal pressures. Buried under biased judgements, I dwarfed t...
85.3K 3.1K 178
The Emperor's Concubine duology. Book one and two are combined. *** The Emperor's Concubine *** The world seems harsh and cruel, especially when you'...
12.7K 106 9
The game of life is always rigged. This is known. But the real mystery of existence was never about life... it was about death. How could death, suc...
624K 16.8K 28
**CAUTION: A LOT OF GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, THIS WAS WRITTEN WHEN I WAS 13/14. WILL BE REWRITTEN SOON** Copyright © November 2014 All Rights Reserved She...