~Nobody Else~ { M. Tokito}

By Hollowfur7

{Revision In process} [Warning] Early on you will most likely come across spelling errors and strange changes... More

Chapter 1 - Backstory
Chapter 2 - Rest in peace
Chapter 3 - Sakonji Urokodaki
happy birthday!! (ignore)
Chapter 4 - Final selection
Chapter 5 - So, how are things?
Chapter 6 - We're slaying
Chapter 7 - Rain, rain, stay
oneshot suggestions (ignore this)
Sweet night - Modern AU oneshot
Chapter 8 - Leopard in the night
Chapter 9 - Running on empty
Chapter 10 - Bathhouse with Wisteria
Chapter 11 - Your name, please?
12 hour challenge - modern AU oneshot
Chapter 12 - Autumn goals
so uhhhh
Chapter 13 - Live and love
Chapter 14 - The big city
Chapter 15 - It was "no big deal"
Chapter 16 - Candle lit Mist
Chapter 17 - Leave the city
Chapter 18 - Rain training
Not an update
Chapter 19 - Two dear "friends"
Q/A submissions (ignore)
Chapter 20 - House of Tsubashi { Part 1}
Chapter 21 - House of Tsubashi {Part 2}
Chapter 22 - House of Tsubashi {Part 3}
Chapter 23 - A chance that never was
Chapter 24 - Hunting party
Chapter 26 - The Swordsmith Village
Chapter 27 - The Swordsmith Village { Pt 2}
Chapter 28 ~ The Swordsmith Village { Pt 3}
Chapter 29 ~ Promise
Chapter 30 ~ Acceptance
Chapter 31 ~ Signals
Chapter 32 ~ Is This What It Feels Like?
Chapter 33 ~ Crossing The Bridge {Final Chapter}
•The Time Has Come•

Chapter 25 - Visions

205 6 11
By Hollowfur7

"It's such a beautiful day today," said Atsumi. She took a bite of her ice cream Taiyaki, the cool vanilla melting on her tongue.
Her legs swung to and fro while she sat on the bench with Mitsuri, who was mimicking her movements.

The pond in front of them sparkled under the sun's light, and she could see ducks swimming together across the water.

Water... Atsumi wondered couldn't get last night out of her mind long enough before being reminded once again. But she just shrugged her shoulders, not paying any mind to Sora's passive aggressiveness.

A couple passed the girls, and Atsumi heard Mitsuri sigh dramatically. "Oh, Atsumi. I wish I had a husband," she said.

Atsumi laughed. "I know. Well, whoever he is, wherever he is, I'm sure he feels the same way."

"You two young ladies want to know about life, is it?"

They were startled by the voice the came from behind them.

"What the-" Atsumi jumped and faced the woman standing behind the bench. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Ah, my apologies," said the strange lady. " I was just passing by when i heard a question of future come up. I could tell you about your romantic paths...if you'd like."

Still baffled by the sudden intrusion, Atsumi had to process her proposal.

The Love Pillar gasped. "Wait, are you a fortune teller?"

The woman gave a low giggle. "Why, yes. Indeed I am, young miss. I've always had quite the gift. If you come along with me, i can tell you anything you'd like to know about your futures."

Atsumi shifted hesitantly. The woman tucked some hair behind her ear, trying to charm them into agreement.

Mitsuri seemed all for it. "Atsumi, we need to try this out! I've always wanted us to do something like this together."

"I don't know," said Atsumi. "You don't...look like a fortune teller."

The woman placed her hand on her chest, mouth agape . "My, young Miss. Judging based off of appearance, are we?"

"What? No, no. We just-"

"We'll come!" Mitsuri declared.

"What? Mitsuri, we don't know this woman. Are you sure?"

"Yes, yes, I'm sure. Come on, it'll be so much fun."

She knew at this point that there was no way out of this, so she accepted her involuntary agreement and went with Mitsuri and the stranger to her house.

• • •

Instead of bringing them inside her house like Atsumi thought she would, the stranger led the girls to her backyard through a gate on the side of her house. Back there, there was nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing that screamed, "wacko foreseer", or, "look at me! I can speak to the dead!"

"Welcome, young ladies," she said. She sat on one end of a small pond in the center of the yard and had them sit opposite of her.

This is different, Atsumi thought. She noticed the two koi fish swimming around in the shining water.

"So tell me," Haneka started. "What is it that you two wish to know."

"Umm." Atsumi looked at Mitsuri, who looked ready to burst with anticipation. "Okay. I guess what we want to know is who we'll marry in the future."

"The very near future," Mitsuri added.

Haneka hummed. "Wonderful choice." She placed her hands in the pond, feeling over the pebbles at the bottom of the water. The slow swishing motions attracted the koi fish, and began swimming in circles around her wrists, creating a mini whirlpool. After a few more seconds of this, the fish swam away and she opened her eyes.

"Did you see anything?" asked Atsumi, leaning in curiously.

She nodded. "You, with the oddly colored hair," she said, looking over at Mitsuri.

"Yes?" The Love Pillar exclaimed, bouncing eagerly in her sitting position.

"You will marry..."

"Well? Who?!" Mitsuri was getting antsy.

"No one. Not in this life, at least. That's all i got, sorry."

Mitsuri had nothing to say after that, a puzzled look on her face.

Hearing such an answer, Atsumi was more curious about her own future. "What about me?" she asked.

"Ah, don't worry!" said Haneka. "Luckily, it seems that you will have a decent amount of time to spend with him." Clearing her throat, she went on describing his appearance to Atsumi.

• • •

"Have a lovely day, girls!" Haneka waved from the gate of her yard, before leaving their sight.

She had given each of them a pretty trinket to take home—Atsumi, a blue piece of coral, and Mitsuri, a small black and white seashell.

Atsumi's face was frozen with a big smile after hearing the description of her future husband.

He was a young man, for starters. He had the hair of black seaweed sprouting from the seabed of a shallow lake, the light from the sun reflecting from the water to the plant, giving it a blue tint. His eyes were the same mesmerizing blue of said lake that shimmered on a bright day like this one.

She and Mitsuri squealed out of excitement and joy, then realization hit her.
"Wait, Mitsuri! Do you know what this means?"

"What?"

"Tomioka! He's the one I'm meant to be with, I'm sure of it."

Mitsuri was about to agree, but backtracked. "But, Tomioka's hair is black, not dark blue."

"I know but– Hey, sometimes it looks blue. Like, at night, or when it's cloudy..." Just hearing herself talk, Atsumi knew it was clear she was trying as hard to convince herself as she was Mitsuri. "Whatever. I'm sure it's him. I'll leave it at that."

"Whatever. At least you get a happy ending with a good partner..."

"Mitsuri... Don't worry. I wouldn't take what she says too seriously."

• • •

Going to find and kill a powerful demon didn't stop Atsumi's heart from fluttering every step she took.

I can't believe it!

She giggled like a goofball, stoked to know that she would—possibly soon—be married to the Water Pillar. Well...she was almost sure he was the one the Haneka was referring to.

It was an average sized house on a hilltop where Atsumi and the demon met. Its first attack was sudden, jumping out from a dark corner of the ceiling behind her. It started off difficult. They had to take it outside, sounds of snarling, grunting, and claws and metal clashing echoing through the town.

As they fought, a crow's voice suddenly started yelling.

That damn crow is gonna distract me!

But its message was the last thing she expected.

"The Flame Hashira, Rengoku Kyojuro, has died in battle against Upper Moon Three! Caw!"

Atsumi is stunned by the words that came from the bird's mouth. A mix of emotions stirred up inside of her: shock, grief, confusion.
Her focus was thrown off balance, resulting in her getting struck by the demon. The impact of its hand swiping her whole head sent her rolling on the ground. Its claws just barely missed her eye, blood seeping out from the slash across her cheek. The cool liquid snapped her back to reality. She quickly got to her feet, jumping out of the demon's path in time as it lunged at her.

No... It can't be true. How could...

Her thoughts blurred in the heat of the fight. She had to finish this battle quickly, before the shock of the situation really got to her.
In the next few seconds, she sliced the demon's head off. She left the scene right after, not caring to listen to its tantrum.

• • •

Not even when she arrived back home did Atsumi fully process what she had heard. It was only when she entered her bedroom, sat on her bed, and looked at the necklace he gave her a while back when she really comprehended it.

The Flame hashira was dead. Rengoku Kyojuro...is dead.

All emotions that the fight had postponed earlier now came all at once. As if the floodgates were opened, Atsumi cupped her mouth, choking back a whimper. Her eyes were overtaken by tears, completely obstructing her vision. Curled into a ball, she cried—practically sobbed into her blanket, harder than she's ever cried.

She had loved that man, truly loved and admired him. Not only was he already with a woman, but he just had to die as well.
To think that just this afternoon, she was all giddy with Mitsuri over some fortune about her future husband.

How could a damn fortune teller not foresee something this horrible?

Eventually, Atsumi's thoughts tired her out and put her to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 18 9
[DISCONTINUED] "Everything about her reminds you of winter." Her touch was light and gentle like falling snow with a touch of warmth that opened up h...
2.3K 80 19
THIS STORY IS ALSO ON QUOTEV. Updates will be delayed a bit on here due to different formatting. I post on Quotev first! (Genya x fem! Black! Reader...
154K 2.8K 48
DISCLAIMER!!!- This will follow the events of the anime. I don't have the Manga nor have I ever read the Manga. So no spoilers for it. (Y/n) (L/n) wa...
1.2K 4 23
This will have some SPOILERS It all started when you became a hashira at 14 years old. You where presented as the flower pillar, the past months were...