The Deadly Curse

By MadisonYuresko

A cruel curse, a crueler magic, and a member of the royal family gone mad. This mysterious curse may be deadl... More

Copyright
summary + aesthetics
»interlude«
1.1 | Invite
1.2 | Invite
2.1 | The Great Bloom Festival
2.2 | The Great Bloom Festival
3 | Reluctant Opportunity
4.1 | Lost
4.2 | Lost
5 | Distrust | rune
6.1 | Glass Figurines
6.2 | Glass Figurines
7 | Trust and Time
8.1 | More Unknowns
8.2 | More Unknowns
8.3 | More Unknowns
9.1 | Mysterious Punishments
9.2 | Mysterious Punishments
10 | Cursed
11.1 | Heedless Warnings
11.2 | Heedless Warnings
12 | Belowpass
13.1 | Giant
13.2 | Giant
14.1 | Ink in Water
15 | Citrus | rune
16 | Fierce Flames
17 | Miserable Magic
18 | Magic | Fault
19.1 | Burning Oranges
19.2 | Burning Oranges
20 | The Revival and The Burial
21 | Monster
22 | Just A Moment Longer | rune
23.1 | A Moment Longer
23.2 | A Moment Longer
24 | Flower Crowns and Butterfly Blossoms

14.2 | Ink in Water

26 5 2
By MadisonYuresko

//ink in water, part 02// 

"Faetra, what are you discussing with the Earth maiden?"

Fate's unblinking eyes found me again. She lifted a hand to encourage me to answer.

But Moirae had me tongue-tied. I had to clear my throat several times and study my boots before I could squeak out, "I want Fate to lift the curse on the royal family."

To my surprise, Moirae squealed. "Is it out of love?" Before I could reply, she spun to the throne. "Lemme guess. My stingy sister gave you an outright no."

Fate sat as tall as she could and folded her hands in her lap. With her full attention on Moirae, I dared to relax further.

As stupid as it was, I wondered if I could persuade Moirae to take my side. Then, she could argue in my stead. Apparently she held some kind of sway over Fate. If that were the case, there stood a chance I could free King Hadeth and Prince Rune from their shackles. Hope fluttered in my chest. I bit down on my cheek to squelch the rising sensation.

"Moirae," drawled Fate, like a mother dealing with a child, "you have received strict instruction to leave my affairs as mine. Continue to respect them as you have."

Fate's sister hopped up to the throne, equal in size again. She sat on the floor and rested her arms on Fate's lap. Looking up at her sister with wide yet cunning eyes, she enticed, "Oh, sister, please. I'll be your counsel. I could hear your arguing. Let me test her, and if the Earth maiden passes, grant her wish. If she fails, then she agrees to your decision and never bothers you."

The butterflies of hope slammed against my ribs, jittery with nerves now. A test? Would Fate agree to such terms? She didn't strike me as the type to leave decisions up to a test. Although, a part of me hoped she did. Then all I had to do was pass. Hope grew again.

Moirae looked to me, beaming, "What do you say, maiden? You willing to take a test?"

There existed the possibility that I would fail. And I would have to abandon this entirely, forever. But I had no intention of failing.

So I said, "Yes."

"I will hand you over to my sister, otherwise she will pester endlessly. But before I do so, I will ask again: Do you realize all of what you have asked of me?"

"Yes." I nodded once.

Fate's lips pursed. But she slouched ever so slightly. "Then we assent to my sister's terms. Shall you pass, I will lift the curse on the royal family. However, you fail, and you will accept the finality of my decision. "

At that, Moirae jumped to her feet, clapping, Before I could reflect on what I had just agreed to, she raced to my side. Gripping my hand, she tugged me behind the throne, down a staircase, and farther into the cave.

It was too late to back out now. No second thoughts, no time for doubts. I had to pass. Whatever test Moirae had up her sleeve, I would pass with flying colors. This was for King Hadeth, for Eternity—for the man I loved.

I half-expected Moirae to shrink with the environment. But she ducked and crouched and dodged as I did, just a few inches taller than me.

As close as we were like this, I stared briefly at her face. She was striking. And it occurred to me then just how dangerous beauty could be.

A few moments later, the cave expanded again. Water pooled at the center. Thankfully, there was enough room around the water that I didn't worry too much about touching it or falling in. Rocks carved into basins surrounded the pool. The basins were filled with glowing crystals. The largest basin held a pestle beside a collection of crystals arranged in the order of the rainbow.

Moirae encouraged me toward the largest basin, practically vibrating. A wild look had entered her eyes, and her lips had parted slightly. Her limbs couldn't stay still.

Behind me, a set of footfalls echoed. To my disbelief, Fate had followed us. She, too, had shrunk in size. She stood shorter than me. For a second, I thought she would make for a beautiful ballet dancer. Like this, Fate seemed . . . ordinary. Just a woman. Like this, her sister definitely seemed more dangerous.

"Stand there," instructed Moirae. Once I was planted in place, she turned to the basin of crystals. Pestle in hand, she crushed the crystals, twisting and grinding. It didn't take long for the crystals to become powder. Setting the pestle aside, she scooped up the powder, rounded on me, and blew the crystal fragments in my face.

Fierce coughs hurt my chest. My eyes watered, and I waved at the cloud descending around me. "Wait," I managed to say, "what – what's happening?"

"Shh," coaxed Moirae. "Don't resist it. Just let it happen."

I didn't have a choice. When the cloud of crystal dust finally dissipated, I squinted through watery eyes. Moirae and Fate had disappeared from view. Alone by the glistening water and glowing crystals, I spun. Was this the test? Had it started?

Footsteps echoed softly. A figure appeared at the entrance of the alcove. My mouth fell open and I asked, "Rune! What are you doing here?"

Hands clasped behind his back, he approached me. The faintest ghost of a smile touched his lips. The war of shadow and flame in his eyes had dimmed. The flicker there was almost . . . sad. Maybe even a bit disappointed.

"I was worried," he responded in his baritone.

"You followed me?"

As he nodded, small wisps of white and blue fog rolled in around us. They slowly grew, filling the cave with lazy plumes. They curled about us, obscuring my vision.

He reached for my hand. He was cold. His eyes, half-hidden by his hair, rounded as he implored, "Are you certain about this?"

I tightened my hold on his hand. "We've been over this. It's not right to suffer you to a life sentence. I thought I had your support on this?" With each word, more and more white fog spilled into the cave. The blue had all but vanished.

His fingertips brushed along my cheek. The flame in his eyes dared to scorch me. And just as the white smoke had taken over, now the blue did.

"I am by your side through it all, Belline," he whispered.

My eyebrows lowered. Belline? Prince Rune rarely used my name, especially not so casually. He reserved the use of my name for special moments. Not that this couldn't be a special moment, but he would sooner say "maiden" or "princess" in this instance.

Tints of yellow mingled with the blue and white. It spread out like ink in water.

In any case, why was Rune here? Never had he suggested or hinted that he would follow me. Sure, he worried. But he trusted me.

I pulled away, and his hands fell to his sides. He tilted his head in confusion, while I studied him through narrowed eyes. The trail of black jewels looked the same. His hair fell in the same way, in growing need of a haircut. He shared Rune's chalky pallor and sunken face. But something was off. He felt like an imitation of Prince Rune.

As I took a few steps back, a voice, separate from the Rune lookalike, and more nasally, chirped, "Huh."

Yellow fog ate away the remnants of blue and white. And a sudden freeze captured me, from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. Like someone had spilled ice water on me. My teeth chattered and I held myself to stave off the cold.

Which lasted only a few seconds. It washed away with a full-bodied heat. It also washed away the fog and the Rune imitation. Moirae stood before me now, smiling; Fate watched me with intrigue.

"You knew he wasn't real," remarked Fate, unable to keep the astonishment from her voice.

I nodded, and Moirae asked, "What gave it away?"

"Rune rarely uses my name like that."

Fate and her sister exchanged a glance. Moirae said, "You know your lover quite well, Earth maiden."

With no response, I simply blinked at Fate, waiting. Had I finished the test? Had I passed? Or had I failed? The fate of the King and Prince waited in Fate's hands. My stomach twisted, nausea racing along my esophagus. Please, let this be over . . .

Moirae floated over to her sister and placed a hand on her arm. The gesture seemed to encourage Fate to speak, because she said, "You've taken Moirae's test. And you have proven the purity of your intentions."

"And how well you know your lover. That's reassuring, right, sister?" Moirae added. The seductive being had become an unexpected ally.

Fate gave a single nod. "Per the terms, you have passed, and I will lift the curse. But I offer you a final chance to reconsider. Think carefully: are you aware, fully, of what you ask of me?"

Relief swayed my knees. I passed. Fate would rescind the life sentence. She may not have found it the logical decision, as I did, but she was fair. She was loyal to her word, and it made me weightless.

And I knew exactly what I asked of Fate: freedom. No longer did the King have to live faceless. He could shed his cloak, and perhaps a sliver of his misery. And Prince Rune's DNA could be complete again. His magic could return to him. What belonged to him rightfully found him again. I had given them freedom. Hopefully forgiveness could follow.

"Yes," I answered with unwavering conviction.

Shadows crossed Fate's face, darkening her expression. "There will be consequences. You must face them alone – I will not intervene. If you remain confident, then I concede." She paused, as though to give me time to change my mind. But I would never change my mind. This was right.

When I made no move, she released a light sigh and promised, "By the time you return to Royal City, the sentence will be lifted from the royal family."

I was ready to scream and laugh and rejoice. I had done it. I had freed the ones I loved from an unjust punishment. If any consequences came, I would face them proudly and confidently. I had given King Hadeth and Prince Rune the greatest gifts imaginable: a face and a missing piece of DNA.

Tears sprung to my eyes. A smile blossomed, cheeks almost hurting. "Thank you," I gushed. "Thank you for giving me – them – a chance."

"Our audience has concluded." Fate turned and started toward the throne room. "I take it you can find your way out on your own."

Fate left, and Moirae disappeared with a smile out of the offshoots of the cave. I trailed Fate, trying not to run. But in the vast throne room, I couldn't resist anymore. My feet took off in a sprint. I was on my way home, to the loved ones I had just freed. I couldn't wait to meet them as complete beings. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4M 253K 200
Betrothed to the King. Cursed since birth. All her life, Carissa's been betrothed to a man she's never met and inflicted with a curse she's never see...
15.9K 2.8K 78
| 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 • 𝗔𝗺𝗯𝘆𝘀 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 𝗪𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿 | ONE RUN-AWAY PRINCE Prince Aster Jacques will one day rule the Q...
9.7K 318 60
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
895 112 14
Due to a witch's curse a prince must slay a dragon to obtain its heart or else he will die. But after Prince Nicholas slays the dragon, he has more...