Humbling Spot Conlon (A Spot...

By girlwithnopatience

**DISCONTINUED** Falling in love was far from Nicky's top priority. All she wanted was to keep her secret and... More

Prologue
Ch. 1: Carrying The Banner
Ch. 3: What's So Bad About Brooklyn?
Ch. 4: Getting Brooklyn On Board
Ch. 5: King of New York
Ch. 6: The Greatest Secret Spiller on the Vaudeville Today
Ch. 7: Newsboys Rally
Ch. 8: Guilt
Ch. 9: I Hate You, Jack Kelly
Ch. 10: Once and For All
Ch. 11: We Beat 'Em!
Ch. 12: Confession
Ch. 13: Arrogant, Selfish, Entitled Son of a-
Ch. 14: Get Over It
Ch. 15: Friends
Ch. 16: She/Her
Ch. 17: Back the Way It Was (Kind Of)
Ch. 18: Blushing and Annoyed
Ch. 19: Jack Kelly, The Human Punching Bag
Ch. 20: Late Night in Brooklyn
Ch. 21: Worth The Wait
Ch. 22: Coming Full Circle
Ch. 23: Little Devil
Ch. 24: I Can't Just Take a Break
Ch. 25: Nightmare Come True
Ch. 26: WHERE IS SHE?!
Ch. 27: The Best Thing To Happen In This Place
Ch. 28: Banished to the Basement
Ch. 29: Freedom At Last
Ch. 30: The Tale of Penelope Badger
Ch. 31: Forgotten
Ch. 32: Worst Birthday Ever
**DISCONTINUED**

Ch. 2: The Secret Gets Out

970 12 3
By girlwithnopatience

I had always sold with Jack, ever since my first day. I wasn't extremely comfortable with "improving the truth" as Jack called it. I had enough difficulty lying about my whole gender. If I had to lie about anything else I would probably explode.

Today we found an extremely crowded place. There were people everywhere. Probably because of the fights that were going on. It was the perfect selling spot. Although I was feeling slightly claustrophobic. It was a bit tight.

"Extra, extra. Trolley strike drags on," David called into the crowd, earning no attention.

"Extra, extra. Ellis Island in flames. Big conflagration," Jack yelled out.

"Hey, what? Wait. Where's that story."

"Thank you sir," Jack said, handing the paper off and taking the money. "Page nine"

"Thousands flee in panic," I shouted, then sold it. "Thank you."

David opened the paper to page nine. "Trash fire next to immigration building terrifies seagulls?" David questioned.

"Terrified flight from inferno!" I yelled.

We continued selling papers. David looked very uncomfortable with the whole situation. I didn't like lying either, but I'd rather lie than not have enough money to live.

Les came up to us, confirming that he'd done what Jack asked. "Show me again," Jack said.

He started coughing. "Buy me last pape mister?" If I hadn't known what he was doing, I totally would've bought it.

"Heartbreaking," I said.

"Go get 'em," Jack told him, handing him another paper. He set off.

"My father taught us not to lie," David said.

"Yeah well mine told me not to starve, so we both got an education." I wanted to make a comment about how my father didn't tell me anything because he was dead before I could even comprehend words but I decided not to.

"You're just makin' up these things, all these headlines."

"I don't do nuthin' the guys who write it don't do. Anyway, it ain't lyin'. It's just, improvin' the truth a little." I felt like an idiot just watching them have a conversation, not saying a thing. Then again, I didn't have anything to contribute.

We got a little distracted watching the fight. I didn't understand how this could possibly be entertainment. I cringed every time someone got hit. It was terrible. I brought it up to Jack but he just laughed.

After a little while of watching the fight Les came running back. "The guy gave me a quarter!" He exclaimed happily. "Quick gimme some more of those papers."

"Wait, wait. Hold on," David said. He sniffed his brother's breath. "You smell like beer."

"That's how I made the quarter," Les explained, "The guy bet me I wouldn't drink some." I let out a laugh.

"You drank a beer?" I asked. He nodded.

"Hey, no drinkin' on the job. It's bad for business," Jack said, "I mean, what if somebody called a cop on you?"

David gestured to a man across the ring. "Is he a friend of yours?" I had noticed him before but I didn't pay him much attention. He was wearing a dark suit (he must've been dying in the heat) and he stared us down. It was kinda freaky.

"Beat it," Jack said, starting to run, "It's the bulls." We ran straight through the fight. I was reluctant to follow, but I did anyway.

While we were running I heard Les say, "All this for one sip of beer?" It made me laugh.

I began to grow tired as we ran. We went weird ways. We went over things, around things, under and through. I had no idea where we were going. I was following blindly. And why? I don't know.

Jack then ran into a building he sprinted up the stairs and up to the roof. He then jumped off. David and Les followed without a thought. I was surrounded by idiots. Jack called for me to come with him so I did.

We hid behind a wall for a little bit. "Sullivan!" I heard the man call out, "Wait till I get you back to the Refuge." I had heard about Jack's time at the refuge. Actually, I heard more about how he escaped. I didn't understand why he called him Sullivan though. That was odd.

Jack ushered me away until we were far away from him. Then David stopped him. "I'm not running any further."

"I don't really want to run any farther either," I panted, putting my hands on my knees. How were they not out of breath right now?

Jack just walked straight past us into the closest building. He seemed to be done running. Hallelujah. I followed after, still trying to catch my breath.

This place seemed really familiar. I sort of got distracted looking around. I heard that David was bombarding Jack with questions, but I didn't pay attention to what they were. I was trying to figure out where I'd seen this place before.

"What is going on there?" Asked a familiar voice. I whipped around to see Medda Larkson, an old friend of my mom's. "Out, out, out. Out."

"You wouldn't kick me out without a kiss goodbye, would you Medda?" Jack asked.

"Oh, Kelly," Medda laughed. "Where ya been, kid? Oh, I miss seeing you up in the balcony."

Jack kissed her hand. "Hangin' on your every word. So Medda, this is David and Les." He gestured to them accordingly. He pointed to me. "That's Nicky."

"Nice ta meet ya." I tried not to make eye contact. I didn't expect her to recognize me but I didn't want to risk it. And also, she stared me down for like five seconds, which kind of freaked me out.

"And this is the greatest star of the vaudeville stage today," Jack continued, "Miss Medda Larkson, the Swedish meadowlark."

"Welcome gentlemen," She said, then looked at me. I pulled my hat down, trying to hide as much as possible.

"Medda also owns the joint."

She took her eyes away from me and said to Les, "Well, what have we here? Oh, aren't you the cutest little fellow that ever was?" She cooed, brushing his face with a feather. "Oh, yes, you are." Les coughed into his hand. "Are you alright?"

He held up a paper. "Buy me last pape, lady?"

I tried not to laugh when Medda said, "Oh, you are good. Oh, yeah. This kid is really good. Speaking as one professional to another I'd say you've got a great future."

"So, is it okay if we stay here for a while?" Jack asked, "Just till the problem outside goes away."

"Sure, sure. Stay as long as you'd like. Toby, just give my guests whatever they want." She turned to me. "You look familiar," She observed my face closely. I pulled my hat down further on my face.

"Do I?"

"Yes," She said, "I just can't seem to figure out where I've seen you."

I could feel the sweat forming on my forehead. I didn't think she would recognise me. "I'm sure yer just imaginin' this 'cause I ain't seen ya before."

"Oh! I know. You look just like my friend's little girl. Your names are similar too."

She reached for my hat. I stepped away. "Must be a coincidence." She shook her head.

"The similarity is uncanny. What's your last name?"

I couldn't think of what to say. I wanted to lie, but Jack was there and he knew my last name. He would be suspicious. I couldn't believe this was happening. Medda recognized me and now she wouldn't give up until she was proven right.

"Badger," I reluctantly told her.

She nodded. "Same last name. You know, my friend died just two years ago. And her daughter disappeared. She's still yet to be found." Tears welled up in my eyes. That happened whenever my parents were brought up. It wasn't helping with my situation.

"Oh?"

She looked down at the locket around my neck and put a hand to her mouth. "That locket..." I hadn't even realized it was visible. I quickly put it back under my shirt. I didn't want people thinking I'd stolen it. Medda wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug.

"Uh, Miss Medda?" She released me.

"It is you, isn't it? Nichole?" I nodded uncomfortably.

I looked to Jack, who was gawking at me. "You mean yer a-" I gave him an awkward shrug and a chuckle.

"Surprise?"

"What?! I can't believe you've been a- How did you keep the secret so long?"

David looked at me then back at Jack. He didn't seem to know what was going on. "What's happenin'?"

"I'm a girl. That's what's happenin'."

"Oh," He realized, "Wait, why were you pretending to be a boy? That's what you were doing, right?"

"Yeah. And I was doin' a pretty good job until-" I gave Medda a blameful look, except she was gone. She had gone on stage. "Let's just watch the show. And don't say a word to anyone." Jack nodded absentmindedly and went to watch the show.

It surprised me how quickly the subject was dropped when Medda started to sing. We watched the show, David more intently than anyone. I got lost in thought halfway through so I missed a lot of it.

After the show we went outside. "So you liked that?" Jack asked David.

"Oh, I loved that. I loved it. It was great. She is beautiful." Jack nodded. "How do you know her?" I was wondering the same thing.

"She's a friend of my father's," Jack explained. "C'mon Les. You wanna shine my shoes for me?"

"So..." I said, trying to understand why the topic of me being a girl was forgotten so quickly. Jack just stared back at me like nothing had happened. "Okay, so you just learned that everything you knew about me is a lie and you just let it drop?" I was growing slightly frustrated. Even after living with him for three years, Jack continued to confuse me.

"To be honest I forgot about it."

"Excuse me? You forgot? It was like, ten minutes ago!"

"What do you want from me?" I just glared. I didn't know. Maybe some sort of reaction. I mean, the biggest secret I had just got out, you'd think he'd be slightly surprised. "Fine. Tell me about this little secret." He gave me the least interested look ever.

I just huffed and stormed off. "You narcissistic jerk!"

I went back to the newsies lodge and laid down in my bunk. How did he only ever think of himself? He made me so mad sometimes. I waited there for a while until I felt myself drifting off. I didn't even bother changing. I was dead tired. I just fell asleep in my clothes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

618K 12.9K 48
"What don't I know about Brooklyn?" "She ain't goin' ta Brooklyn." <>
215K 4.2K 24
"Just promise you won't fall in love with me." "Our relationship is pure lust. There's no such thing as love, Nate"
46.9K 706 22
Nickels. The word could mean a lot. It could mean the metal, that was almost impossible to break. It could mean the coin that was worth a pretty penn...
29.3K 606 12
(Highest ranking - #1 in #womeninpower 03/10/19) ~Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep the boys safe~ Crown Tuck is the leader of the Quee...