The Herbology Assistant

By LexiMac22

Clarice Bates is just your average witch, at least that's how she sees herself. She finds herself a new posit... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
The Letter
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
πŸ‹Chapter Twenty NineπŸ‹
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
πŸ‹ Chapter Thirty Seven πŸ‹
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
πŸ‹ Chapter Sixty Seven πŸ‹
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty

Chapter Sixty Four

1.1K 54 1
By LexiMac22

"Claire, come on! We're going to be late." Severus shouted from the living room as Clarice was making sure Elio would be warm enough. The winds by the lake could get quite strong.

"Coming! Coming!" She said as she pushed the bedroom door open with her hip. She had on her black jeans and white cloak.

"You sure you want to wear that? Might get dirty." Severus said and Clarice rolled her eyes.

"It's the warmest one I have. Besides, my yellow one was ruined. Remember?" She eyed him.

"Oh yes, the dreadful yellow cape. How could I forget." He chuckled while putting his arm around her shoulders and letting Elio run ahead of them while they followed. Once they caught up with the crowd of students, Clarice scooped Elio up and walked along everyone else. She saw Harry walking with Neville and gave him a quick smile and nod before getting into a boat with Elio, Severus, and Minerva.

The boat began moving on its own and Clarice watched Elio in awe. She always loved his reactions to magic. She let her fingers dance across the water, but flinched when something bit her.

"Ouch," She quickly lifted her hand to reveal a baby grindylow stuck to her. Instead of flinging it back into the water, she quickly cradled it while tickling its belly so it would let go. Once the creature was content, she let it back into the water.

"Why do strange creatures like you so much?" Minerva asked and Clarice only smiled.

"There are no strange creatures," Clarice laughed and looked to Severus.

"Only blinkered people." He finished for her, having heard her rant about this topic on multiple occasions.

Once the boat stopped completely by the towers, Severus stepped out first and helped Minerva out, then Elio, then finally he lifted Clarice up.

"Stay close, okay," She spoke to Elio as they made their way up to where the staff was standing around the champions.

Worry took over her and she ended up lifting Elio up to her hip. She listened while Albus gave a speech and the canon went off. Clarice waited for Elio to start crying from the noise, but he only cheered with everyone else. She eyed Alistar who had to push Harry into the lake.

"So now we wait an hour?" She asked Severus.

"Yep."

"Hmm. This seems boring." Clarice chuckled.

"Well," Severus started. "I mean yeah."

"Where's grandma?" Clarice asked while looking around.

"No idea." Severus said. "She's been distracted over something lately."

Clarice could only think it was the thing she tried to get out of her yesterday.

"Can we go up higher?" She asked.

"I suppose so." He said and they made their way up the stairs. It was quite crowded, but Clarice didn't mind.

"I reckon you'd find half your ingredients for that potion in this lake." Severus chuckled and Clarice laughed nervously. He was probably right.

"Are you really going to try?" He asked while standing on the opposite railing everyone else was near.

"I think I have to." She replied while hitching Elio up higher on her hip.

"You can probably put him down. I'm sure he'll be okay." Severus said and she just shook her head quickly no. "Let me take him then. He'll kill your back."

"Thanks," She handed him over.

"Are we swimming?" Elio asked.

"Not today. Too cold." Clarice said while fixing his little Hogwarts scarf. Expecting him to start having a tantrum, she quickly pulled out a sweet for him which he took immediately.

About thirty minutes passed and Fleur's head had appeared from the water. Clarice watched as she was lifted out of the water and wrapped in a blanket.

"I don't think she passed." Severus frowned. "I thought they had to retrieve someone from the bottom?"

"They do..." Clarice said.

"So...?"

"Just be patient." She told him. She really wanted to go down to Fleur and tell her that her sister will be fine. She was clearly distraught.

The next to come up was Cedric Diggory with his girlfriend Cho Chang. That made Fleur break down in tears which broke Clarice's heart.

"I need to tell her." Clarice went to break away, but Severus grabbed her wrist.

"You can't. You know that." He spoke. "Just wait."

Viktor Krum was the next to rise out of the water with Hermione Granger.

"Where is he?" Clarice muttered. "He should have come up by now."

"Look," Elio pointed out to the water. Clarice could just make out two heads, but quickly realized neither was Harry. Ron had swam to the towers with Fleur's sister.

She sighed audibly when Harry's head emerged.

"You think we can head out now?" Severus asked.

"They haven't announced the winner!" Clarice said.

"As if you don't already know." Severus said while holding her hand as he lead her down the staircase.

Apparently they weren't the only ones trying to sneak off early and ended up having to share a boat with Filius.

"So now what?" Severus asked Clarice.

"What do you mean?" She asked back as he helped her out of the boat. They began making their way back to the castle.

"Like what's the next task?" He asked.

"Oh, well. I haven't looked that far ahead. I've been a little occupied." She said.

"Right. I know, I was just curious." He said.

"I'll see tonight. Okay? Just so we can get a head start." She squeezed his hand.

"Do you think I could come?" Severus asked.

"If you want. Maybe Grandma will watch Eli tonight." Clarice said.

"Oh, a date night?" He wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Perhaps," She nudged him.

"I like the way you think, witch." He kissed the top of her head. Making their way through the castle, they stopped at Agatha's door and knocked. No one answered though.

"We'll try again later. Come on, let's go enjoy the rest of our evening where we can't be bothered." Severus said while leading the way back to their quarters.

"Are you hungry?" She asked him.

"I could eat." He said.

"Kiki?" Clarice summoned the elf.

"Yes?" The house elf appeared out of thin air.

"Oh, Kiki why do you look so sad?" Clarice asked the elf who looked miserable.

"I believe I have caught the cold." She said while blowing her nose on her pink apron.

"Oh dear, certainly Professor Dumbledore would let you take the day off no?" Clarice frowned while Severus stood up and went into their bedroom.

"Oh no no no. I don't need a day off. I am well." She tried to lie, but sneezed into her apron.

"You need to rest, love. Here come on," Clarice took the elf by the hand and lead her into the bedroom and through the greenhouse. Severus slipped a vial into Clarice's hand as she passed him. She lightly kissed his cheek and he went back into the kitchen with Elio.

"Here take a seat real quick." Clarice pointed to mossy cushion and sat down next to the elf.

"This is a simple pepper up potion. Take it, take a quick nap, and if anyone asks you were helping me with my garden." Clarice summoned a blanket and some pillows to get her comfy and let her be.

"That was sweet of you." Severus said as she came back into the kitchen.

"I could say the same." She smiled while brushing his hair out of his eyes.

"How will we get our food though?" He chuckled.

"Let's just get Dobby." She suggested.

"I'd rather walk to the kitchens." Severus said.

"What do you mean? Dobby is sweet!" Clarice nearly smacked the man.

"He's just annoying."

"I think he's funny."

"Of course you would."

"Hey!" Now she smacked him.

"Ow..." He rubbed his arm.

"Dobby?" She summoned.

"Yes Dobby is here Miss Clarice!" The house elf appeared wearing five different pairs of socks and three hats.

"I like the look Dobby. Here, these will match." Clarice gave him a pair of cooking mitts and he nearly cried.

"Oh thank you! Dobby likes these very much." He placed them on his ears and Clarice giggled. She didn't have the heart to correct him.

"I was just wondering if you could bring some lunch?" Clarice asked.

"Certainly! Dobby will be right back!" He disapparated and reappeared within a minute.

"That was quick," Clarice said as she eyed the fruits and sandwiches he brought along. "Thank you."

"You is welcome!" Dobby replied and disapparated again.

"Told you he was sweet." Clarice said. "And funny."

"Yes yes, very comical. Although you gave him our only set of oven mittens." Severus said and Clarice giggled.

"We needed new ones anyways." She popped a strawberry into her mouth.

"I think we only used those once," Severus smirked.

"Probably, I wonder if Grandma's back. Do you think I should just send a letter?" Clarice asked.

"Wouldn't hurt." Severus replied and Clarice sent off a small paper airplane.

It wasn't long before the response returned saying Agatha would love to take Elio off their hands for the night and she would take him after dinner.

As they finished up their lunch, the pair sat with Elio on the couch to play until they heard a knock at their door. Severus told Clarice to sit back down and that he would answer it.

The door swing open to reveal Harry by himself.

"Come in, Potter." Severus said while moving to the side to let the boy enter.

"I'm so sorry. I truly didn't want to bother you, but it couldn't wait." Harry fumbled with his hands.

"What is troubling you, dear?" Clarice asked.

"I've been having these... dreams. I know it sounds crazy, but I keep dreaming of Voldemort." He started plainly.

"Can you explain a little better?" Clarice asked.

"I dream of him returning... Just now I... took a nap and dreamt of him returning and when I woke... Ron said I was screaming and clutching my scar. I have a wicked headache." He told them. Clarice eyed Severus who only nodded before walking away.

"Why don't you come sit with us for some tea." Clarice waved a hand and the tea pot glided across the kitchen to the table to pour.

"Are you sure? I don't want to be a bother." Harry stared at the door Severus had entered through.

"It's fine, you're not. I think it's important we discuss this." Clarice sat down at the table.

"Have you spoken to Professor Dumbledore about this?" Severus asked while taking a seat and handing Harry two vials. Elio had climbed into his lap.

"Er no... What are these?" Harry said cluelessly. Severus just rolled his eyes.

"That one is for your headache and the other is a dreamless potion." Severus explained. "And I think the Headmast should know about these... dreams."

"Why do you say it like that? Do you not think they're just dreams?" Clarice questioned.

"We'll find out tonight when he takes the potion. If he doesn't have any dreams then yes, it's just a dream. However, if you continue to have this reoccurring dream, it's most likely something more sinister." Severus said.

"In what way?" Harry asked.

"He could be sending you messages." Clarice said.

"Is that possible?" Harry asked.

"Yes, it's dark magic. But yes he can." Severus said.

"Is there a way to block it?" Harry asked.

"Keep practicing Occlumency." Severus said.

"I have been... I'm not very good."

"We can start doing a few more lessons." Clarice advised.

"Dreams are tricky though..." She trailed off and looked at Severus who was bouncing Elio on his leg.

"What?" He asked when she made eye contact with him.

"I actually don't know how to do that." She admitted. He sighed.

"Fine. I'll help." He muttered.

"Where are your friends?" Clarice asked.

"Hermione's studying and Ron's sleeping I think." He chuckled. "Do you by chance known what's going to happen for the final task?"

"Not at the moment, but hopefully I'll have that answer tomorrow for you." She assured him.

"Thank you Professors." Harry said before excusing himself and wishing them a good day.

"Harry?" Clarice called out before he could close the door. He poked his head back in.

"Thank you for coming to us." Clarice said and Harry smiled and shut the door.

Once they were alone Clarice rubbed her eyes.

"You okay?" Severus asked.

"Yeah, I'm just making sure you're the real Severus Snape in front of me." Clarice placed her glasses back on her nose.

"Huh?"

"You care for him." She smiled at him. He only rolled his eyes.

"Otherwise you wouldn't have given him those potions." She smirked.

"I would have done it for any student." He stated.

"So you're telling me if Ronald Weasley knocked on our door complaining of a headache, you would have helped him?" She asked. He frowned which made her laugh. "That's what I thought."

"Come on, let's go for a walk." Severus pushed his chair back and held his hand out for her to take.

"Where to?" She asked.

"You'll see." He responded.

"You know I hate surprises." She said.

"Patience, my love."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

896 97 15
In this story, (Y/n) has been an Astronomy Professor for 2 years. She has also been dating the one and only Professor Snape since the beginning of he...
65.8K 1.6K 36
(Y/n) (L/n) was just an 'ordinary' girl who is trying to fit in with her house, (y/h), at Hogwarts. Both her parents are muggles who never wanted a c...
250K 7.8K 56
Y/N Y/L/N is a shy, quiet, smart and hard-working girl who is sorted into Slytherin. Her father, Y/F/N Y/L/N, is keeping a secret from his own daught...
324K 11.4K 128
How will (Y/N) (Y/L) get along with the Potions Master - Severus Snape, as she becomes the teacher of Hogwarts of Herbology momentarily? This is fun...