I am the Prey ~ S.M [ 2]

By XxNikkyKittyxX

~who knew humans could be as scary as the monsters under your bed?~ After almost becoming the monster she fea... More

Mexico
Derek
Miguel
Chaste Kiss
Lacrosse Tryouts
Aiding and Abetting
Lake House
Deadpool
The Scrimmage
Monster
Kate
Virus
I Love You
Borderline Idiotic
Parrish
Here For You
Calm Before the Storm
Lucia
Vengeful
Banshee
ClichΓ©
Arrested
Out-Of-Control Beta
Betrayed
The Aftermath
Goodbyes
I am the Enemy

Forty Five Minutes

578 15 3
By XxNikkyKittyxX

Chapter 15

"I hate this so much," I mutter under my breath, my eyes fixated on Scott's body lying on the steel morgue table. He looks dead. And if I don't listen long enough, he sounds dead too.

Kira walks over to me and places a hand on my shoulder, "Nina, it's only for a short while then everything will be okay. I promise." I nod my head slowly, as I pull my eyes away from Scott to hers.

"What if we're too late?" I fret, a knot deepening in my stomach.

"I won't let that happen. He's my friend too remember." She cracks a small smile but it fades as she looks over her shoulder. "Look, do you think you could go comfort Liam? He hasn't calmed down since it happened." I follow her gaze to see Liam in his own world as he paces around the morgue. He didn't even lift his head towards us when she said his name, like a Werewolf, would usually do.

I nod my head and take a few steps over towards him, "Liam." I say, but he doesn't seem to hear me as he continues his pacing. "Liam!" I say a bit more forcefully, grabbing a hold of his arm. He looks up at me with wide eyes before looking down at my hand on his arm. "Sorry," I mutter releasing my grip. "It's going to be okay, Liam."

"How do you know that?" He says, surprising me with how soft his voice sounds.

"Scott's a True Alpha, which means he's a hell of a lot stronger than any of us. And, he's Scott McCall. He wouldn't give up on us. Especially not you." I bring my hand forwards and pat his head.

He freezes for a moment before grumbling out, "I'm not a baby," and stepping away.

"I know." I smile down at him. "Your hair was a bit messy."

He opens his mouth to retort something when a blood-curdling scream sounds from outside the door. Mrs. McCall.

Even though I know she knows that her son is still alive, having to go through that moment where doctors tell you otherwise must be dreadful. It's a scenario no mother wants to picture. No person for that matter.

A deathly silence falls over the morgue as Mrs. McCalls cries sound just outside the door before she takes a step inside. She continues wiping her eyes, a sniffle sounding every now and then. She takes a deep breath as she approaches Scott's body on the table. Her eyes soften before she pulls her gaze away to us standing around the table.

"I still hate this plan. I mean, this is pretty significantly terrifying. He looks dead."

"Give me your hand." Mrs. Yukimura says kindly. Mrs. McCall looks over to Stiles who nods his head softly.

"It's okay." He says looking uncharacteristically subdued. She places her hand in Mrs. Yukimura's extended one, who places it on Scott's chest. Her eyes become teary as she tries to remove her hand.

"Wait for it." After a few more seconds I hear a faint heartbeat sounding. The same one I've been listening to since we've got here.

Mrs. McCall's face relaxes, "Is that enough to keep a Werewolf alive?"

"Enough for an Alpha."

"How much time do we have?"

"Forty-five minutes."

"What happens after that?"

"I bring him back the same way." Kira pipes up from next to me.

"No, I mean, what happens if he stays like this longer than forty-five minutes?" Her gaze looks around at our faces but none of us have the stomach to tell her.

"No one's told her?" Mrs. Yukirmura looks at us exasperatedly.

"What?" She asks, her voice coming out harder. "What happens after forty-five minutes?"

It's silent for a moment before Mrs. Yukirmura speaks up, "He dies."

The look on her face was enough to send my stomach into another whirlwind of emotions.

"That's your assassin-speak?" Stiles grumbles out as we stand in the basement of the hospital around Argent's laptop.

"Stiles let the man type what he wants to. If he wants to say simply that he's dead. then let him. I'll admit it's a bit..." My eyes meet Argent's hard ones before quickly looking down at my feet. "I mean it's great, really great."

"What more do you want?" Argent asks.

"It's a little dry..." Stiles answers him easily. "You could have said something like, 'Target has been neutralized.' 'The crow flies at midnight,' that's always cool."

A laugh escapes my lips as I pat his shoulder, "Good one. I've always liked that one too, very-"

"He answered," Argent says leaning closer to the laptop.

VISUAL CONFIRMATION IS REQUIRED.

Argent and Stiles both lean forward to type a reply but end up knocking into each other. Stiles motions the laptop and so does Argent neither making a move to type. I roll my eyes and push past them both, placing my fingers on the keys.

"What must I type."

It's silent for a moment as I hear Stiles' spastic movements behind me before Argent speaks up, "Visual confirmation isn't possible." I begin typing the words but my fingers keep getting lost on the keyboard. "Police coming-"

"Woah Argent, I'm still on confirmation."

"I guess being a Werewolf isn't all that it cracks out to be," Stiles says from behind me. I slowly turn around and send him a glare.

"Listen here, Mr. I-can-play-lacrosse-"

"Fine, I'll do it myself," Argent mutters, moving the laptop closer towards him, and continuing to type.

I scoff in Stiles' direction earning an eye roll and a, "Definitely a Hale," in return.

VISUAL CONFIRMATION IS NOT POSSIBLE. POLICE COMING TO CLAIM BODY IN FORTY MINUTES.

A reply is sent back almost immediately, reading:

VISUAL CONFIRMATION IS REQUIRED FOR PAYMENT.

Argent's jaw tightens as he begins typing more frantically than before.

NUMBER TWO ON THE LIST IS DEAD. I KILLED HIM... AND IF WIRE TRANSFER ISN'T COMPLETED IN FORTY MINUTES...

He stops typing for a moment before hardening his gaze at the screen.

I'M COMING AFTER YOU.

I take a step back from the laptop and nod my head, "Now that's assassin talk."

Argent sends a look over to Stiles before slamming the laptop shut, "Okay, now both of you need to go and get the laptops set up in an empty room. I'll let you know when the device is hooked up." With that, he walks out of the basement and up the stairs.

"Let's go." We make our way to the main floor and begin walking along the corridor when Kira appears in front of us.

"Liam and I got everything set up." She informs, motioning behind her. We follow her to an empty hospital room with three laptops set out on the bed. Liam stands behind them with a proud smile.

"Good job." I smile, stopping next to him. After a few moments, Stiles' phone begins ringing.

"I'm here, you ready?" Argent's voice sounds immediately. "Try it now." Stiles looks over at us before tapping a key on his laptop. I smile as all 3 screens light up with surveillance footage showcasing the whole hospital.

"Bingo."

"Is that supposed to look like that?" Liam suddenly says bringing me out of my thoughts. I follow his gaze to see one of the surveillance squares going offline.

"No. No, it's not." Stiles' wide eyes focus on the screen.

"Where is that?" Kira questions from next to me.

"The roof. Someone's gonna have to go check it out."

"I'll go." Kira pipes up immediately as she makes her way to the door, only to be stopped by Stiles.

"Whoa, whoa. This might not just be a malfunction."

"That's why I'm bringing this." She lifts up a red cloth before removing it to reveal her katana.

"Fair enough." I nod my head in approval.

"I'm coming with you!" Liam blurts making his way after her.

"Me too," I add, only to have Stiles raise his hands in protest.

"And what about me?"

"You want to go with? In all honesty, I think you and your bat would never stand a chance." I quip with a smile forming on my lips. His one eyebrow quirks up as he stares at me.

"I'll have you know that bat is far more useful than those sharp pointy things you call claws-"

"Guys," Kira scolds from the doorway.

"Okay, Kira, you and Liam go check on the roof. I'll stay here with Stiles in case anything comes up."

"And then you're both coming right back. Immediately." Stiles calls as they turn to leave the room. "Kids..." I give him a weird look, before turning my attention back to the screens.

"You know I was actually thinking of upgrading my weapon." He says suddenly.

"With what? A lacrosse stick?"

"No... A gun. You know, I feel like It's about time that I should be apart-"

"Wait, wait, wait..." I wave my hands in front of my face. "You want to use a gun?"

"Yeah, how hard can it be?" He shrugs.

"Using a gun is actually pretty straightforward, it's just you that isn't."

He opens his mouth like a fish and stares at me incredulously, "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Can you imagine yourself holding a gun? You'll probably drop it within the first 5 seconds, or blow someone's toe off... or both."

"Well, we'll see about that." He scoffs, straightening his shirt and turning back to the screens. "You know, I actually want to become an FBI agent when- if I grow up."

I turn over to look at him, "An FBI agent?"

"Yeah... why? Don't you think I can?" He asks, his voice losing its sarcastic edge.

"No, no... I think you'll make a great FBI agent." I smile genuinely as my mind flashes back to the other day when he risked his life to save mine. "You know, you seemed pretty agent-like the other day."

The corner of his lip quirks up as he looks back down at the screen, "You think so?"

"Yeah, you didn't hesitate to stand in front of the gun... or risk your life."

"Well, if I remember correctly it was you who stood in front of me in the first place." He says, still not meeting my eyes.

"Well, you know how it is, I couldn't have my boyfriend's best friend killed could I?" I tease, nudging his side. "Thank you for saving me, Stiles." He looks up into my eyes and I send a smile his way.

"You too." He says, honestly.

My heart swells up in my chest at the fact that this is the first genuine conversation we've had. Not filled with sarcasm or witty remarks. But a real, heartwarming exchange.

"But I only saved your ass because you couldn't shift."

"There it is," I mutter under my breath.

"What was up with that anyway?"

"I have no idea. I had the antidote and everything but I just couldn't shift. It was like something stopping me... I don't know." I ramble on.

It's silent for a while before I see a light bulb flash in his eyes, "Wait a minute, isn't it kinda like what happened to Scott when he thought Derek was dead?"

"You mean when we were going to the meet?"

"Yeah, Scott couldn't heal, he lost that power because he blamed himself. Maybe you had some mental block. Something that had nothing to do with the virus." I wrack my brain trying to think of every little thing that happened that day.

"Well, we were writing a pretty big test and I started getting really nervous-"

"It had to be something bigger..."

What could have happened that made me unable to shift?

"Well... We heard there was a virus and we had to be on lockdown. Then I went to the locker room and I was with Scott and-"

"And what?"

"And I started pushing him away. I told him I didn't want to be with him."

"So you technically lost someone you cared about." Stiles figures it out.

"So then how was it broken? How was I able to transform again?"

"Nina, you didn't just transform into your werewolf form. You were that dark form. That same one from when we faced the Nogitsune. I thought that maybe you'd gone dark again, that you'd lost control, but... you were you."

"But there was no dark energy there? How was that possible?"

Did I do that myself? The same thing happened when I confronted that hunter... but why?

"I don't know, but maybe-" He stops talking as his eyes focus on the screens. I follow his gaze to see the surveillance cameras all turning to static.

"We lost signal." Just the lights begin flickering and dimming in the room.

"I think the power's out too. Come on, let's find Argent." He nudges my arms and we run out of the empty room, searching the corridors. I dodge countless nurses, doctors, and staff who run frantically around the place.

We walk down probably about the 20th corridor when a gun is suddenly pointed in our faces. I jump back and raise my hands as Stiles does similar movements next to me.

"Oh, Deja vu." I breathe out, feeling a jolt of fear run down my spine.

"Sorry," Argent mutters, lowering his gun.

"The power's out in the whole building," Stiles says after shaking his head a few times. "We lost all the cameras."

"Stay with Scott. Text me if you see or hear anything." Argents glances down at his watch which reads 18:02

My stomach doubles over into knots... 18 minutes left...

Argent nods over at us before making his way down the corridor, "You heard the man." I mummer as we turn to leave. "Why do we always end up with a gun pointed at our heads?"

"It's whenever you're with me," Stiles says with an eye roll.

"Exactly. Whenever I'm with you. Therefore you must be cursed." I conclude.

"Says the one who was literally hunted with a crossbow growing up."

"At least it wasn't a gun." I quip back as we reach the room where Scott is.

"You know what the first thing I'm going to do when I get a gun is? I'm gonna- what?" My ears stay focused outside the door. "What is it?" He asks again.

"Something's not right."

"Well, no kidding-"

"No, something's out there... It sounds like-" My eyes widen as I hear the unmistakable sound of bones. "A Berserker."

Stiles' eyes widen towards me, "A-are you sure?"

"Yes, Stiles I'm sure. No mistaking the sound of something that almost tried to kill me." He pulls his phone out of his pocket and hastily dials a number.

"Come on, come on... answer the phone... answer the phone, Argent! Come on, Argent, answer the phone... why are you not answering the phone?"

"Stiles-" I fret moments before the doors fly open and Argent lands on the ground right next to us.

"Stiles, run!" He groans out. "Get out of here!"

"Go, Stiles." I push his shoulder but it's too late. Kate walks right into the room and looks over at us. I tighten my hands into fists as I stare at her smug face.

"Get out of the way. I'm taking the body." She says, taking a few steps forward.

Is Kate the Benefactor? She can't be... it makes sense but... her name's on the list too.

"Why? Visual confirmation?" Stiles questions, not moving from where Scott's body is located.

"Don't worry, handsome. I'm not the Benefactor." She says walking closer.

"Then what do you want with the body?" Argent asks.

"I wish I could tell you." She gets dangerously close to us. A few steps away. I move forward and step in front of Stiles, a glare firmly planted on my face.

"Go," I growl out. "While I'm still playing nice."

She lets out a little giggle, "What? No threats? No 'I'm going kill you' or 'you're dead'?"

"I wouldn't waste my energy," I state feeling Argent's eyes on the back of my head.

A smirk overtakes her lips before she lunges forward and grabs my throat, slamming my back into the metal morgue wall. I keep my glare focused on her eyes, but don't make any move to attack her. I could easily get out of this. Scratch open her face- but I promised Argent. I can't do anything to her. At least not while he's here that is...

"Kate." Argent scolds, stepping forward and grabbing her arm. He twists it back, causing her to lose her grip on my throat. I drop to the ground as Argent pulls out a gun and points it under her chin.

"I always forget you carry two." She grumbles out as Stiles helps me to my feet.

"Back off!"

"You sure you can pull the trigger fast enough?" She taunts, not looking the least bit scared.

"I don't want to."

"You're not going to kill me."

"I'm not going to let you take his body." His voice hardens again as he tightens his grip on the gun.

"Okay, well, obviously, you guys have a lot to talk about so maybe... I saw some coffee, a vending machine outside?"

"Stiles." I pat his shoulder. "Not the time."

"Listen to me, Kate. We have a plan."

"If killing Scott was part of it, you're worse than me." Her eyes filter over to mine. "Guess you're a bit more twisted than I thought-"

"He's telling the truth." Stiles interrupts. "We're trying to get to the Benefactor."

"If you didn't notice, you're on that list, too. And you're worth more than most."

"That's why I'm here."

"Then back off and let us do what we planned." Her eyes fall down to Argent's wrist. "Take the Berserkers and go." Kate makes no move to leave as her eyes scan his face. "Kate, please. We have a plan." She looks down at the watch one last time before nodding her head.

"Okay." She steps back, looking at her brother before walking out the door. Argent lets out a breath before hurriedly looking back to his watch.

"How much time?" I ask, not liking the look on his face.

"Less than 3 minutes." He says darkly. My heart begins thundering in my chest.

"Where's Kira? She needs to get here now." I panic moving forwards towards the door. "Kira!" I yell out as my eyes scan the corridor. "Come on." I begin making my way towards the roof when Kira's face suddenly appears before me. "Kira..." I breathe out, grabbing a hold of her wrist and dragging her back to the room. "Are you okay?" I ask, now only registering the trickle of blood on her temple.

"I'm fine." She rushes out as we enter the room.

"Less than a minute," Argent states as he stands over Scott's body. She rushes over and places her hand on Scott's chest.

"Come on," I mutter under my breath as electricity begins traveling over his exposed skin.

Suddenly Scott's eyes fly open as he lets out a blood-curdling scream followed by multiple gasps of air. I rush forward and bring his body into a hug.

"Thank goodness you're okay." I breathe out, holding him close to me.

"What happened? Did it work?"

I look over to Argent and Stiles' faces before looking back to his, "We'll explain everything later, just recover first, okay." I run my hand over his cheek before placing a kiss on his forehead. The doors burst open and Liam appears with a disheveled look.

"What?" Kira questions.

"It's your mother," He says. "She's hurt."

"So Kate isn't the Benefactor?" Scott questions as we make our way to the loft doors, his hand firmly clasped in mine.

"Nope. She just came there... with her Berserkers." I shake my head. "I just wish we could've got something from it, you know. You could've died and we'd be nowhere closer to figuring out who he is."

"You know, I actually think it did work." He says, stopping me in my tracks.

"How?"

"No one came for visual confirmation, right?"

"Right," I say as we continue walking forward.

"Which means whoever the Benefactor is, he knows when someone is dead without ever needing to see the body." He says raising his brows. "Which means..."

"He's a psychic?" I ask with wide eyes.

"A banshee."

My body freezes as everything shifts into place, "The benefactor never came because he knew you weren't dead."

"Exactly." He says as we stop outside the loft doors.

"That's some pretty smart thinking there, Mr. McCall." I turn around to face him and wrap my arms around the back of his neck. "But are you sure it's not Lydia?" I joke.

"I don't know, she does seem awfully smart for a 17-year-old." He smiles back, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Do you want to come inside? For some tea?" I add after seeing his eyebrows raise. "I make great tea."

"As much as I would love to come in for some... tea." He jokes, earning a light smack from me. "I have to go back to the hospital. They want to do a bunch of tests since I was kind of officially dead."

"Ah, yes. The wonders of the supernatural." I smile but it soon fades. "You know, you really scared me there. You promised you weren't going to risk your life anymore."

"Well, if I remember correctly you said if I did risk my life you'd give me a reason not to."

"Oh... did I?" I grin bringing his face closer to mine. "I better give you a million then." He leans his face closer to mine, almost touching my lips-

The loft doors suddenly swing open with a jolt. I step away from Scott and send a glare over to Derek who keeps his hard eyes on Scott.

"Uh...Derek." Scott tries to greet him but gets nothing in return except Derek's cold eyes. "Um- I better get going."

"Good luck." I place a quick kiss on his lips, looking over at Derek as he rolls his eyes. Scott sends me a smile before quickly walking past me and out of sight.

"So that's what's got you so happy," Derek mutters as soon as Scott disappears.

"Was that really necessary?" I send a glare over at him, earning a shrug in return. "You said you were happy that we were dating."

"I said I was okay with it." His gaze hardens in the direction Scott left. "It's a different story when I actually see it."

"Then don't look." I roll my eyes and walk past him into the loft. I freeze as something feels different. My eyes scan around the room from the messy bed sheets, in which Braeden is sleeping, to the items of clothing littering the floor... My eyes widen, "You didn't?"

Season 4

Episode 8 (Time of Death)
Part 2/2

State: edited

Hey guys! :D

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Let me know what you think!

I had so much fun writing that Nina and Stiles moment. They have such a precious friendship! 🥺

Thank you for all the support! It truly means the world to me!

Stay safe and healthy! ❤

Until next time my fellow wolfies!!

-Nicole ^.^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

355K 10.7K 33
It all starts with a bite. A bite turns you. A bite is considered "a gift". But not to Alexandria Chase, a newly bitten werejaguar who struggles with...
77K 1K 50
Lacey stilinski (stiles' little sister) was sent away right when Scott and stiles found out about the supernatural world, they didn't want her to kno...
7.4K 289 8
"πΆπ‘Žπ‘™π‘™ 𝐴𝑛𝑑 𝐼𝑙𝑙 π‘…π‘’π‘ β„Ž 𝑂𝑒𝑑 𝐴𝑙𝑙 𝑂𝑒𝑑 𝑂𝑓 π΅π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘Žπ‘‘β„Ž π‘π‘œπ‘€" ΰΌ„ΰΌ„ΰΌ„ "οΏ½...
1.8K 91 10
Wren and the pack barely have time to recover from Allison and Aidens' deaths when yet another threat comes to Beacon Hills; and this time it's a dea...