Rise of Kings and Queens

By lobo1989

The year is 0026 in the United World Century. Esme Cyr and her squad are the new world military leaders. Thei... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue

Chapter 15

17 6 24
By lobo1989

WORLD MILITARY LEADER LUAN DLAMINI HAS A MEETING WITH ANTI-REFUGEE LEADER BRODIE NOBLE.

By L.M.Taurus

3/28/0027 UWC

10 hours before headline

Luan held a newspaper with the headline HAS LUKA URBAN FOUND A NEW BOO! and a picture of him and the stripper coming out of his apartment. Esme sat at the table eating breakfast as Luan looked out the window.

"I don't know how I feel about this," said Luan as held the newspaper.

"What?" asked Esme and Luan tossed her the newspaper. "Luka has a new girlfriend. That's a good thing."

"She's a stripper," said Luan. "She's hot, but she's still a stripper."

"I see," said Esme as she put the newspaper down. "If he's happy, who cares. I didn't read anything in the article mentioning her occupation so he should be good for now."

"For now is the key to that statement," said Luan. "It'll eventually come out and Luka will become a laughing stock."

"I see your point," said Esme. "I'll try to have a talk with him before that happens or maybe have Arlo talk to him. They are best friends."

Luan turned to face Esme, his back to the window. "You talk to him. I can't help thinking Arlo will encourage the relationship."

"Are you worried about Luka's feelings or the image of our squad?"

"Both."

"I'll talk to him, but if he's happy and she's not using him, I'm going to tell him to do whatever makes him happy."

"I'm surprised you don't care about our image," said Luan.

"Oh I care about our image. I care about how people feel like we're handling the terrorist group called Dependency," said Esme as she raised the newspaper. "This, I don't care about."

"They both might not be the same level of an issue, but they are both still issues."

"Let's not worry about Luka right now. What you need to worry about is your meeting with Brodie Noble. You specifically volunteered to be the one to talk to him. I need you to be at your best here."

"I will be," said Luan as he returned his attention back outside the window of Ottawa, Canada. "I've been watching this asshole carefully. I'll have my crack at him."

"That's what I'm worried about. He might be an asshole, but he is an asshole with a following. He might not be part of Dependency. If he's just a protester, I don't need you antagonizing him."

"I know Esme," said Luan. "We need a break. I'll get us one."

"Good luck. Don't punch the asshole."

Luan chuckled. "I won't." He went out the door.

****

Luan arrived outside of the Noble estate. He was very impressed by how big it was. He was annoyed to find the outside of the estate was full of reporters and they quickly recognised Luan when he arrived. The reporters swarmed him.

"Are the world military leaders here to shut down Brodie Noble's movement?" asked Lois.

"No comment," said Luan and he pushed his way through the reporters.

"Can you comment on the rumour that you're here to arrest Brodie Noble?" she asked.

Luan stopped and looked at Lois. "No," he answered. "I'm not here to arrest Brodie Noble. We don't arrest people for protesting their beliefs. I'm just here to have a conversation with him. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sorry you guys wasted your time coming here, but there's no news story here."

"Not true," said Lois. "But thank you for your comment."

Luan nodded his head when he heard the gate open behind him. He rushed onto the estate and was greeted by a security guard.

"You can go on ahead," said the security guard as he held back the reporters. "Mr. Noble is waiting for you."

Luan walked inside of the house and found Brodie coming down the stairs.

"Welcome to my home, Mr. Dlamini," said Brodie as he offered his hand. "Thank you for coming today."

Luan shook Brodie's hand. "Thank you for having me. It was a little difficult to get here due to all the reporters."

"That's my fault," said Brodie. "They got wind of our meeting due to one of my staff member's chatty mouth. I apologize."

"Don't worry about it. Things happen."

"Follow me," said Brodie as he led Luan to his dining room. "I hope you're hungry. I feel the best meetings are held over a good course meal." Brodie gestured to one of his kitchen staff to start. "Have a seat," he said to Luan.

The two men sat down as the staff member came back with some fruit appetizers, serving them to Luan and Brodie.

"Try it," said Brodie as he grabbed a piece of pear. "They're delicious."

"I'm going to be honest with you," said Luan as he grabbed his own piece. "I had no idea you were so well off."

"Oh this is new to me too," said Brodie. "I was never this wealthy. It happened after I started protesting my thoughts. People agreed with my opinion and started donating to my cause."

"And you've taken advantage of that," said Luan, accidentally sounding harsher than he wanted.

"Yes and no," said Brodie. "I did give myself a new home as you can see, but the kitchen staff aren't a regular thing. I only got them for today for the special occasion." He gestured at Luan.

"You didn't have to do that," said Luan. "I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing. It was just an observation."

"No, it's okay," said Brodie, waving him off. "And of course I had to go all out today. It's not everyday a person like me gets to have a meeting with a world military leader. I guess this is the first sign that I've made it in my life."

Luan was surprised by how freely Brodie spoke.

"I use most of the money that is donated to me to help the people who are struggling to pay rent and feed their families because a good portion of their income is given to the refugees."

"That's the reason I'm here," said Luan. "To talk to you about the refugees."

The kitchen staff returned with the main entree, roasted duck, and served it to Luan and Brodie. "Thank you," said Brodie. "This looks delicious."

Luan took a bite of the food and couldn't help hiding his delight with it. He looked up at Brodie who was smiling at him. Luan gulped down his food.

"Good, right?" said Brodie as he took a bite of his food. "This chef came highly recommended."

"Back to the refugees," said Luan. "Don't you think you are being a little harsh?"

"Not at all," said Brodie. "Citizens who are struggling to get by are now paying extra taxes to provide for the refugees. That's not exactly fair."

"Fair enough, but that's not the refugees' fault. Your problem is with the government, not them."

"Technically my problem is with both of them. Yeah the government is the one taxing us, but that's because they're trying to please the world military. The only reason my country took in the refugees is because they want to please the world military leaders."

"So why not protest us? Your protests tend to target the refugees who are just victims."

"While what happened to them is terrible, I wouldn't be too sure it wasn't their fault."

"It was an act of God," exclaimed Luan. "You can't really think that was their fault?"

"Like you said, an act of God. Maybe God is punishing them for their laziness."

Luan was shocked by his statement that he didn't have a response.

"Most of the refugees have done nothing since they've come to my country. They're just living off the working man and the refugees who are working, are working under the table, stealing jobs from honest working citizens. Like I said before, my problem is with both the government and the refugees. The government's excuse for their actions is to please you, the world military, but the refugees have no excuse for their laziness."

"That's not fair," said Luan. "You don't know what those people are going through."

"I'm sorry, but I feel like what those people are going through is of their own making. You can't convince me to feel bad for them when they're bringing my people down with them."

"Seems the opposite has happened to you," said Luan. "You've become rich because of the refugees."

"I became the voice for the people who are hurting because they came here," defended Brodie. "Just because I made a profit doesn't mean I didn't earn it. If it wasn't for my voice, we wouldn't be having this meeting right now."

"Can I ask you what you think about Dependency?" asked Luan.

Brodie took a bite of his food before answering. "I think we have similar beliefs, but they are going the wrong way about it. They're terrorists who are hurting the cause."

"I would say you've been empowering their cause."

"I've never advocated for violence against the refugees."

"But your followers might think differently," said Luan.

"If any of my followers were a part of Dependency, I would turn them into the police or the world military. We want the refugees to return to their country, not to be murdered."

"Can I suggest something?" said Luan. "Ease up on the refugees during your rallies. Target the government's policies on taxes instead. Maybe people won't feel so hostile towards the refugees. I promise we'll rebuild Haiti as soon as we can and things will go back to normal."

"I see what you mean," said Brodie. "I'll consider it, but as a show of good faith, if I hear anything about Dependency, I'll pass along the information to you."

"Have you heard information about Dependency before?"

"No, but I do think it's going to be a matter of time before they try to reach out to me. Similar beliefs, right."

"Okay, let me know if Dependency does reach out to you and please ease up on the refugees. They don't deserve the violence against them." Luan was about to leave.

"Mr. Dlamini," said Brodie. "Can I have your personal number? Just in case Dependency does reach out."

Luan returned to the table and pulled out a card. He hesitated, but wrote down his number in the back of the card. "Here you go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

ARC10 By LL Montez

Science Fiction

294K 26.4K 105
[Book 1 of the ARC10 Trilogy] **Winner of the 2017 Watty Storysmith award** The President created an underground safe-haven for the survivors of the...
362 54 27
"You don't know how strong you are, until strength is the only choice you have."~Google In the world of bombs and shootings, in a corrupt world, ther...
Mech By Mixikii

Adventure

277 10 20
An apocalypse is among us and the world is falling apart at the seams, however this isn't zombies. The year is 3068, the idea of a Mechanical city t...
42 0 8
Humanity's desire to develop teleportation has gone horribly wrong... An experiment in Eurasia has ripped a hole in-between two plains of existence;...