Tweetie

By ToriTuu

"A two headed beast could see twice as many stars." Both unknown yet famous, mysterious Hazel White finds her... More

1
2
3
4
Case Log- Entry 1
5
6
7
8
9
Case Log - Entry 2
10
11
12
13
Case Log- Entry 3
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
Case Log- Entry 4
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Case Log- Entry 5
31
32
33
34
35
Case Log- Entry 6
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
Case Log- Entry 7
48
49
50
51
52
Case Log- Entry 8
Case Log- Entry 9
53
54
55
56
Case Log- Entry 10
57
58
59
Case Log- Entry 11
61
62
63
64
65

60

12 2 0
By ToriTuu

"Who are you working for?"

"I'm not saying shit until I get a lawyer."

"If you just work with us, we can help each other out."

"Yeah, what will you help me with? Going to jail?"

Robin stood, her arms crossed from behind the glass which to the pair on the other side looked like nothing more than a mirror. She stood silently in the darkened room, watching and waiting to see if he would say what she was hoping wasn't the truth.

But, it seemed he wasn't saying anything.

Ricky didn't make anything easy, nor did Daniel Thompson. The police who had spoken to him tried to be nice, they tried to ease him into conversations. But he wouldn't take anything. Daniel just stayed completely silent. It was infuriating.

It was late, she was still exhausted and it had only been two hours since the baseball game came to an end for her. Yet, she was forced to work. They could only keep Ricky in for questioning for so long. Sure, they could charge him for the murder, but she didn't want that. She didn't want to see him take the fall for something when there was a chance he was manipulated into it by whoever organised the crimes. She needed to work quickly and figure out who he was working for.

"That boy..." Roderick breathed in anguish as he entered the small, dark room, his eyes heavy and carrying bags that were nothing in comparison to Robins. "He's not giving us anything."

"His friends might be more willing," Robin said in a long breath. She was tired, cold and still quite damp, the longer the night went on, the longer she knew she would sleep when she got home, wherever and whenever that may be. "Have you been able to locate them yet?"

"Not yet, I sent some officers out just now to check their addresses, but they will probably be hiding somewhere. They'll turn up."

"Right," she nodded. "You're sure I can't interrogate Ricky myself?"

"No," Roderick firmed his voice, "not after all the trouble he's given you. I'm not trusting him one bit."

"Okay..." she accepted, "fair enough."

They fell silent as he glanced down at her, noticing how she anxiously pulled at her sleeve and bounced only slightly.

"I thought you'd be happy. We have enough against Ricky to charge him for something at the very least."

"I am," she glanced up to him, yet, her face only contradicted her words. She looked exhausted, mentally drained and a little upset. Which was understandable, seeing as she had such a long evening and had barely slept since she disappeared for a week. "Just... Ricky wasn't behind all of this. He was desperate for money to help his dad. Somebody used that against him and I don't want him to take the fall for that. He did kill Jason, but there's more to it."

"We'll find whoever it is. I'm sure once Ricky has seen that his contacts can't do anything to help, he will give them up."

"Hm," she nodded, though, she wasn't convinced.

"Is there something else bothering you?"

"Kinda," she admitted truthfully, leaning against the wall to watch as the interrogator left the room and let Ricky sit alone for a while. "I'm just nervous about some things. It's fine."

"Do you need to head home? I can handle all of this if you want?"

She shook her head.

She wanted to stay, it was like she was being held by a rope and Ricky was holding the other end. Would he give up who he was working for? Would he admit to something she didn't know? She had no clue, but she wanted to stay to see it happen if it did. But, on the other hand, she was barely able to keep herself awake.

"C'mon," Roderick opened the door to the quiet room, revealing the busy police station that never seemed to calm down. "At least sit out here so you're not overwhelmed by the case."

She followed along silently as he led her towards his office which compared to any other room in the station was far more peaceful. Sure, there was paperwork everywhere, but it was at least quiet and reasonably clean. She dragged herself through the glass door he held open for her and immediately dropped into the seat opposite his desk and sank into it.

"Rest for a while, I'll let you know if something happens."

"Can I use your phone?"

"...Sure. If you rest."

She nodded, unwilling to even part her lips again because of the energy it took from her. And soon enough, she was left alone yet visible to everyone who passed the windows that look out into the office area.

She sank into the comfortable office chair, finally being met by the exhaustion that pounded at her head on and on like the beat of a never-ending song and she sunk into the desk, still cold and wet, but too far gone to care.

She held the phone, trying her best to recall a number. Which was the easiest to remember? Which had a good ring to it?

She typed the numbers that popped into her head first, not entirely sure who's it was other than knowing it was one of the boys.

"Hello? Who's this?"

"Leo?" She unintentionally said in a lifeless.

"Tweetie," Leo immediately gasped, surprised to hear her voice come from the unfamiliar number. "You disappeared, is everything okay?"

"I'm at the police station," she explained, deciding she didn't have the energy to spare to put any into her voice. "I had to give some statements and other work things. Sorry, I was kinda dragged away. But I stole Roderick's phone."

"That's fine," he tried to reassure her, "don't worry about it."

"How was the game? Did Fox do well?"

He paused, caught off guard by the question that shouldn't have been at the front of her mind.

"We won, Fox got a home-run."

"Oh," she chirped, "good! Tell him I say well done if you see him!"

"Thanks, Tweetie."

"Oh," she paused, hearing Fox's voice. "Oh, hi! We're on speaker?"

"Sorry, I should've said. We were all worried though. How're you doing? I take it the medic said you were fine?"

She sank, feeling her energy continuously drift away from her.

"I'm fine, but... she didn't let me keep the shock blanket."

"...Where could I buy a shock blanket from...?"

She assumed Ryan's voice wasn't supposed to be heard when he was whispering, yet, she did and she found herself smiling, glad that they weren't there to see her face burn over something so silly.

"Tweetie," Joel spoke up, "you're... Hazel White? I honestly thought Ryan was kidding, but, I mean... what?"

"Dude, I told you, Leo told you, Fox told you."

"You guys are always tricking me."

"No we're not!"

She listened, smiling tiredly to the conversation she didn't need to be part of to enjoy. Her chin rested on the desk in front of her, she felt heavy. Too heavy.

"Wait," she acknowledged what was said, but she still didn't sit up. "Fox knew?"

"You're not very subtle."

"Oh..." she ran blank again.

"Tweetie," Leo returned, "when are you free? Maybe we should talk about this stuff in person... if you can?"

"Uh," she glanced around, realising that right now, work was probably one of her top priorities. She needed to solve everything quickly before the media caught wind of what was going on. If they hadn't already. "Whenever. I'll make time."

"You're not busy?"

"No, I am, more than ever. But that doesn't matter. Like I said, I'll make time..."

"Is tomorrow too soon?" Oscar asked in a joking tone, yet, there was truth in his words as she realised they wanted to see her as soon as possible so they weren't caught up in thinking about everything for weeks.

"I can see you tomorrow."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, totally-"

"Hazel!"

She gasped, turning quickly as a voice called out for her and she immediately lowered the phone out of shock.

"Jesus Christ, why didn't you call me?" Archie entered the room, uncaring of the phone in her hand as he put all of his care and attention onto her instead.

"Archie...?" She breathed out, sinking in her seat and bringing a hand to her face in the hopes that she could wake up enough to talk to him properly, "how'd you know I was here? Roddie didn't get the chance to call you yet, did he?"

"The journalists and protesters speak for themselves, they're outside demanding to see this Ricky kid and you! Why didn't you tell me what you were doing!?"

"I thought you were stressed enough."

"What happened?"

"Roderick will explain," she shook her head, unable to unjumble the mess that was going on inside of it. She couldn't bring herself to explain everything that happened. If she did, she was sure her mind might have ended up turning into nothing but a spiralling void of nothing. "I think he'll need some help."

"You won't tell me yourself?"

"I'm exhausted, Archie. Please, if you really want me to explain, then I'll tell you later. Just, not now."

He stopped, glanced over her, then before he said anything else, he left the room, allowing her to go back to silence. Clearly, he didn't have the patience to wait until she was able to explain herself. And slowly, realising there was still a phone call, she brought the phone back to her ear.

"Sorry," she immediately sighed. "I'm gonna have to go."

"Alright," Leo agreed, taking lead of the conversation for all the others. "Message us when you want to meet up, okay? Call if you need anything."

"Okay," she agreed, barely acknowledging what he was saying anymore as she felt her eyelids grow heavier and heavier. "Thank you, really."

The call ended when her hand dropped from her ear and she lazily ended the call only seconds before she fell asleep, getting rest in the uncomfortable chair after weeks of getting barely enough. She hadn't been in her own bed in so long, but where was that? Where was home?

Robin walked, her mind elsewhere as she moved through the city and through the nipping cold of the harsh weather. It was the first day of the holiday, but despite that fact, there were no kids out and about. They were more likely bundled up at home in the warmth where they could spend time gathering the energy they lost during school.

She wished she could do that.

Instead, she spent her night sleeping at the station, waking up on and off and helping to interrogate Ricky from another room. It was, undoubtedly, a long day and night.

She just hoped this one wasn't any worse.

She knew for sure that all of the boys knew who she was now. The doubts of it never being mentioned were agonising. Yet, to see it actually happen? Admittedly, she thought it would end with the case ending and her never turning up again. She was glad that wasn't how it played out, but, there was a chance that might have been for the best.

She knew that her presence was annoying, she herself was an annoying person. She brought trouble with her, she could hardly look after herself and that left everyone else to pick up the pieces after her. She always thought that maybe it was best to stay uninvolved with people she could easily hurt.

The cafe came into sight, and while it used to bring her relief, today, it twisted her apart. She wanted to tear her hair out, turn away and run from the problem, she just wanted the earth to eat her before she could arrive. Anything to get her out of this.

They were going to ask questions, she barely answered them once Ryan found out, they still needed to know what the truth was and what wasn't. But she had other anxieties, things that made her wonder what her life had even become. She didn't want it and she was sure she had come to a decision a long time ago that would likely upset some people.

But she arrived at the entrance anyway, pushing the door to the warmth open with shaking hands that had been shaking since yesterday. Hell, she was still wearing the same chlorine coated clothes as she did yesterday, including Ryan's hoodie. She, honestly, looked like a mess. Which only helped to reflect how she felt.

"Robin," Stewart called her out from the counter, "you're here today?"

She immediately glanced around, familiar with the way he only called her Robin when others were around. And thankfully, the only people in the cafe were an elderly couple who, just as she came in, seemed to be leaving.

"Yeah," she nodded, watching as his face fell from the sight of her. Yep, she definitely looked like a mess.

"What happened?" He glanced over her, acknowledging how she shook no matter how hard she tried to stop herself. Eventually, she resorted to hiding her hands behind her back.

"A lot," she said, slouching into the counter, "I think I found who killed Jason."

"What!? Really?" He widened his eyes, standing up straight, "that's great!"

"Yeah," she agreed, "I want to celebrate, but, there's still things that aren't sitting right with me. And the way he was arrested wasn't the best. I think I'm still in a state of shock, honestly. Those shock blankets are useless... fun, but useless."

"Why? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just... He pushed me into the school pool. It was all very dramatic."

"Oh," he froze. "Oh no."

"And now," she added, realising that things still weren't over, "I'm debating whether I want to be a detective."

"You... are?" His words were separated, conflicted. There was shock, but there was a hint of relief blended in. "...Well, if you decide not to be, I'll always have a spot open here for you. I think you need safer work."

"Thank you, Stewart. Really. You put up with a lot of my trouble and honestly I'm sick of the danger."

He let a heavy breath escape his lungs, leaning against the counter beside her as they both took a moment to just breathe.

It felt like it had been years since everything first started. To see things turn out like this, to have an end in sight and to see how it affected everything... it was strange. Everything once felt so far away, but over time things clicked into place. Robin could hardly tell whether she was relieved or not.

"You've come a long way," Stewart said, deciding to take the moment they had to reflect on everything. "I'm proud of you, for everything you've done and accomplished. Life hasn't been kind to you but you'll come out on top, I know you will. We just need to trust that the struggles will pass us by and give us something else to reflect on."

"Thank you, Stewart," she smiled up at him, "you've helped me a lot through this, even the small things like banning me from coffee helped."

"I'll always be here to talk to, remember that... And just so we're clear, that ban is still in place."

"Damn."

He laughed, relieved to see that she was still able to mess around. It had always been a worry that she might break from the pressure, that the world would become too heavy on her shoulders and the burdens she bared would crush her. But, she didn't let it happen because she was learning to place them down before she slept, she was learning that people could hold different weights and some didn't mind taking a little extra from her own stack.

As they talked, she felt cold air brush past her from an opening door and she felt her whole body tense up, recognising all five of the footsteps that filled her ears.

She turned, meeting the eyes of the boys while glancing over them all.

And then she was engulfed, her body pushed back into the counter as Joel tackled her in a tight hug that could wind her from the sudden impact.

"Oh no," she breathed out. "I'm gonna cry again today, aren't I? It's going to be one of those days."

"Happy tears or sad tears?" Joel asked, his voice muffled in her shoulder.

"At this point, it's a 50/50 gamble."

He pulled away, frowning as he acknowledged her endless shaking and the smell of chlorine that coated her.

"Did you not go home after everything yesterday?" Joel asked, noticing that she was wearing the same clothes she had yesterday. "You look really tired, Tweetie."

"No," she shook her head while letting him lead her towards her seat at the table. The others followed behind, all scarily quiet as they watched her closely from silent concern. "I had to work."

They all took their seats.

"Tweetie," Ryan pulled her attention from her fumbling fingers with a sharp voice.

She immediately panicked, hoping she hadn't done something to upset him. Was she too on edge? Was she near breaking? Was this too much?

"Why'd you call Leo and not me last night, huh? What gives?"

"Jeez, Ryan," she sank down, relieved he hadn't told her that he was actually upset. "It was the first number that I could remember, my phone was lost to the blue."

"Oh... yeah, it is pretty easy to remember, actually. Okay," he nodded. "You're forgiven."

"Sorry I stole your hoodie. It smells like chlorine."

"I gave it to you, you doofus."

"Hah, doofus. That's dumb."

"It's your new nickname."

"Please no."

"Please yes."

"No-"

"Guys."

They both turned, caught by Fox who smiled between them, glad that they were at least both still idiots.

"This was supposed to be a serious conversation."

They stopped, realising that he had a point and they all turned back to Robin.

"So," Joel started them off. "Hazel White?"

She sank, drifting down her seat as they all watched her leave their view. Well, everyone's except for Ryan's and Oscar's who sat beside her and saw the scrunch of her nose at the topic.

"Okay, so maybe I've been a detective this whole time, but, I've also helped you with your homework, so you guys need to cut me some slack here."

"There's plenty of slack," Ryan said, "nobody's upset, Doofus."

"I'm not going to respond to that name."

"Too late."

"But," Oscar turned to her after staying quiet for so long, deciding to prevent another argument from beginning all from the name Doofus. "Can you maybe tell us what was a lie and what wasn't? I can't think of anything until I find out... Especially maths. I can't think about that at all until I find out."

"You're just saying that so you don't have to do the homework you got through the holiday." Leo shook his head which earned him a sheepish smile from the purple-haired boy.

"Yeah, but I want to know too. Can you answer questions?"

"Okay," she agreed, pushing herself up and placing her hands on the table as she watched her fingers fumble together in an attempt to avoid eye contact. "What do you want to know?"

"Why'd you become our friend in the first place?"

Of course Ryan would start off with a question like that. Sure, she told him herself who she was, but he hardly got many answers. She became too busy, unfortunately.

"Uh," she let a heavy puff of air escape her, "you were suspects in the case. Originally, I only planned on listening to conversations, then things happened differently and we started talking and you guys were nice and, y'know, we ended up becoming friends. But, if it helps, I haven't suspected you in a long time now."

"We were suspects?" Joel's eyes widened.

"I'll explain that in a bit," she said, already knowing that there was a lot that she needed to say in regards to the investigation. "But, yeah."

"The stuff about your past," Fox asked this time, "was that true?"

"Yeah, the only things I lied about were my name, why I work in the cafe, and a few minor things about where I come from... Like saying that I went to the school in the North. I've never been there in my life. Honestly, I actually went to a girl's private school, I'm not even from this city, I lived in a town over to the North for a while. They were all too stuck up over there and liked to brag about all their boring life accomplishments. Like, who cares that you're famous, I don't-" She paused, realising that she was rambling. "Sorry, I'm nervous and blabbering."

"Wait," Oscar squinted at her. "What's your name? Your surname?"

"Robin Merez."

"Oh my God," he jolted up, "Merez! Like, the violinists. Dude, they're world-famous. Are you related to them!?"

"Uh," she faltered, and seeing the hesitance, Ryan ran a subtle hand along her arm, reminding her that it was a safe place. "Yeah," she continued, now feeling a little more comfort. "They're my parents, actually."

"That's how you always knew what songs I was humming like in class that one time..." He squinted again, "Oh wait, gross."

"What?" Joel tilted his head with a hint of a smile.

"Bad parents. Yucky bad. I don't like them anymore."

"They do have good music though. Just bad morals."

"Anyone who upsets our Tweetie deserves none of our money. I'm never listening to their music again. They're officially being botcotted."

"Boycotted." Leo corrected.

She smiled, finally lifting her gaze to find that everyone else's had been placed on her.

"So... did you try to be honest?" Joel asked, figuring that most of what she told them was the truth.

"I guess-" she began, figuring that she would try to explain as much as she could. "-I guess I've always tried to be honest. But there are things that I couldn't be honest about. We didn't know each other, I couldn't trust you and you couldn't trust me. I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of people want to know who I am. It makes it hard to do anything without making up a name for myself. The things I told you, the things that were lies, they were just safety precautions, y'know? The important things I talked about, my life, my past, they were always true."

"Were you going to tell us who you were? Or, were you just gonna disappear and never speak to us again?"

"I want to believe I would have told you," she answered Joel, lowering her gaze again, "but, the chance that I would have just disappeared was high too. I don't handle my problems well, I run away from them, always have."

They fell silent, acknowledging how lucky they were that it never happened. But, it also hurt, knowing that she had considered abandoning them.

"I don't think you would've run off," Leo shook his head and broke the silence, "there's been a bunch of times when you mentioned telling us something. When we talked at Oscar's house, even then you said something along the lines of 'I can't tell you about myself yet.' you were always building up to tell us. And when I found out for sure who you were, you were fighting the urge to tell me. Maybe, if you had more time, you would have just admitted it. I don't think you would have run away."

He wasn't wrong. She knew that she had always wanted to tell them the whole truth. But, she didn't know whether she would have really stayed after the investigation. If she did manage to hold off from telling them all, she definitely would have run. But now they all knew, she had no idea what would have happened. She couldn't predict the future that never happened but she wished she could.

"Please though," she shook her head, "if you're angry at me, let yourselves be angry. I did wrong and I fully admit to that."

"Oh no," Ryan sat up, "keep your anger to yourselves. You can all bury that anger in your coffin's along with your cold dead corpses."

"Ryan..." She sighed, sinking.

"I've said it once, I'll say it again. I don't think you need to face consequences for what you've done. Not any more than you're already facing. I mean, you look like you're having a bad time already. What is having us be upset at you going to do other than make things worse? You need support and we can give you that."

"Awh," Oscar brought his palms to his cheeks, "my little Ryan is all grown up."

"Shut up, I'm a month older than you are."

"That means nothing. Mentally, I am a ninety-five year old man."

"No way," Ryan laughed, flashing a gummy, squishy smile that used to go against every other aspect of him, though, it was quite fitting now. "Mentally, you're a nine-year-old."

"Wait, Tweetie," Joel brought the conversation back. It seemed they were all too curious to really want to see it end, and she could understand. She wanted to explain things. "So, you, y'know, investigate things. Is it scary? How long have you done it for?"

"Oh," she hummed, thinking back briefly. It was more of a curiosity than something related to all of the lies she told. "I've been investigating since I was, what? Fourteen? Though that was never, like, official. I'd just find Roderick's files and solve them when he wasn't looking, then I got old enough to actually investigate, so I did. That's over three years. I've seen dead bodies and assaults, it's pretty scary no matter what. But, I got used to it. I've confronted killers."

"The hell?" Ryan turned to her sharply. "How? You're so soft though! You're gonna stop right now or so help me."

"I'm an idiot," she shrugged. "Once I was sarcastic to a serial killer and it ended very badly- though, probably not as bad as it could have. I'm still alive."

"Wait..." He squinted at her, recalling something she wasn't quite sure of. "When I read your notebook... I swear there was a page about how you broke into Jason's hou-"

"Haha, no way," Robin immediately shut him up, throwing her palm to his mouth with a nervous laugh and wide eyes, "that would be illegal, Ryan. Imagine what my moral compass would be like after that... ha ha..."

They blinked, realising that the Robin they knew was definitely the person who she really was. Really, who else could so carelessly admit to being sarcastic to somebody they know is a killer? And the fact that they could so easily imagine her doing it only helped them to realise this fact.

"Seriously," Ryan sank in his seat as she pulled her hand away, "It's like everything makes sense. I feel dumb for not realising sooner. I mean, the damn shoe thing was a dead giveaway, right? You found Leo's shoes so easily."

"I didn't really try to hide the fact, honestly," she admitted, "like I said, I wanted to tell you. So, I stopped caring and realised that if you guys figured me out, it wasn't the worst thing to happen. The only thing that was stopping me was the death threats."

"Death threats-?"

"Did I say death threats? I meant- uh- uhm-" she sank under the table and, all too quickly, admitted defeat. "Yeah... Death threats. But it's totally fine now, no danger- well, maybe, it's technically not over yet- but there won't be any danger when it's over. So it's fine."

They squinted at her unsurely, but her blatantly fake smile that should have been paired with a tug at her collar and sweat rolling from her forehead insinuated that they wouldn't hear much else about it.

"But," Oscar pouted, "what's going to happen now? You're not going to leave us, are you?"

"Well, I am. But not forever." She glanced towards the clock, "I kinda have to go back to the station soon."

"Need company on the way?"

She turned to Fox. She didn't need company, but, he clearly wanted to say something without the others around. So, she nodded with a smile and they began to gather their things, letting the others absorb everything.

Soon enough, they were out of the cafe, walking towards a bus stop as the fact that things felt so strange lingered in her mind.

"You've had a tough life, huh?"

"Hm?"

Robin turned, meeting Fox's eyes as he trailed only a step behind in a thoughtful state, his hat in his hand and searching for a place to start a conversation. But, eventually, he gave in and realised that he could start it anywhere.

"I mean, I was thinking about everything you told us and everything we know and see. Things with your family, your work, the media, the fact you have to be someone else just to walk down the street. And there's more, isn't there? There's all the things we still don't know, the smaller facts that add up to become something bigger. I was always worried, y'know?"

"You've known for a while?" She turned to him, realising she still didn't know when exactly he realised who she was.

"I think I always knew, honestly," he shrugged, "I mean, I saw you and Chief Hemms, then I saw you and Archie talk and I realised it was a little weird and started getting suspicions. But, it never mattered to me. I don't know why. Eventually it registered in my brain that I knew exactly who you were, but even then, I didn't care. By that point, you already proved yourself as a friend, even if you were only with us to get information. You did a lot that you didn't have to do and I could mostly tell when you were being genuine. Besides, I'm not much of a gossip, as long as you weren't hurting anyone, I didn't care."

"There was a lot of potential damage. Secret identities don't count as just gossip."

"No harms been done, has it?"

What could she say? He wasn't wrong.

"...Thanks for keeping my secret," she smiled at her feet, realising that if he had known for so long, then a lot of the things she did were incredibly obvious. Even when she got phone calls that were blatantly about the case, he knew but never pointed it out. He respected the fact that while she might have been doing something terrible, it was her secret to tell when she was ready.

"Thanks for being our friend," he returned, "I always saw how guilty you were about it. You are really obvious about things, you know? Like, your eyes just say everything."

"Do they?" She glanced up at him. "That's not good."

He laughed, patting her head gently as he realised that she was still the same, if not more stressed.

"Please though," he softened, "make sure you're careful. Okay? We'll always be here, I promise. But, your job is dangerous and we've seen that. If things go wrong, we don't know what will happen."

"Yeah," she nodded, understanding, "I was thinking about just, y'know, ending the whole detective thing once this case is over with. I don't know what I'll do, it's too late to get a proper education. But, at this point, anything is better than detective work. The danger is no fun, things go wrong, I don't want to risk that anymore."

"Anymore?"

"Well, y'know," she glanced at her shaking hands, "I'm careless, but I'm not stupid. If something happened to me, it didn't bother me because I- I don't know, I just never thought that it would matter, I didn't care what happened to me. But that's changed, there's people who care now and you all kinda keep me going... So, I want to stop being a detective, so I can get better for you guys and myself."

"That's honestly relieving to hear," Fox admitted. "Whatever you decide to do, we'll help where we can."

"Thank you," she felt herself ease, thankful to have support from them even after they found out she lied. "I still have work to do... But, I'm close. Once I'm done, I'll make it up to you guys, I swear. Just, right now, I need to consider things... God, how am I supposed to figure this out when I barely have any evidence?"

"You don't? But, you've arrested Ricky. I thought you'd have quite a bit. You've been doing this for a while..."

"I did," she nodded, noticing the bus stop come into sight, "but things have been going missing. I've been so scattered during this case, I forget where I put things."

"...You forget...?" Fox tilted his head. "Are you sure?"

"I'm pretty sure... why do you ask?"

"I just mean," he stopped, thinking about it for a moment as he acknowledged how strange this fact was. He wasn't a detective himself, this may just be a simple thing. But, he was fairly certain that he knew Robin. "You have a really good memory. I find it hard to believe you'd forget where you put things down..."

"Well, I remember putting things down," she explained, "but they're not there when I check where I remember them being-"

She stopped, furrowing her eyebrows before she brushed her thought away.

"I-" she rethought her words, "I don't know. I'll figure it out."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255 2 15
Two friends who have always been comfortable with each other see they might have something more...
6.7K 1.5K 57
Hazel is living a happy life with her family. But she moved out when her boyfriend cheated on her with her half sister. And met another guy, her Boyf...
327K 8.3K 39
even the prettiest of flowers will wilt one day • or where a sheltered girl with haunting secrets catches the eye of a callous businessman
180 7 11
Highschool is Rough, but it could be worse. A very unexpected partnering leads to many different problems, emotions and life changing experiences. A...