Broken Soul | Din Djarin

By el_fan22

*SEASON TWO IN PROGRESS* Who knew that what a Jedi with a broken soul needed was a hunter to mend her back to... More

season one
season 1 playlist
chapter one: the meeting
chapter two: the hunter and the hunted
chapter three: the asset
chapter four: the connection
chapter five: the remembering
chapter six: the egg
chapter seven: anger and confliction
chapter eight: the imperials
chapter nine: safe
chapter ten: the village
chapter eleven: the intruder
chapter twelve: ghosts of past
chapter thirteen: meditation
chapter fourteen: pain resurfaced
chapter sixteen: the walker
chapter seventeen: the preparation
chapter eighteen: the raiders
chapter nineteen: the reconnection
chapter twenty: sanctuary
chapter twenty-one: the rookie
chapter twenty-two: miscreant
chapter twenty-three: heartache
chapter twenty-four: the mercenaries
chapter twenty-five: the prisoner
chapter twenty-six: taking a step forward
chapter twenty-seven: a moment of bliss
chapter twenty-eight: the backup
*remembrance announcement*
chapter twenty-nine: the plan
chapter thirty: the promise
chapter thirty-one: the heart
interlude ~ nightmares & dreams
interlude ~ under the starlight
*remembrance - Obi-Wan Kenobi*
season two
chapter thirty-two: a journey's beginning
chapter thirty-three: the marshal
chapter thirty-four: the dragon
chapter thirty-five: loophole
chapter thirty-six: thawed heart
chapter thirty-seven: from the heart
chapter thirty-eight: til the end
~sneakpeek~
*sneak peek 2*
chapter thirty-nine: the confession
chapter forty: face to face
*shameless plug*

chapter fifteen: part of the crew

1.8K 52 45
By el_fan22

"Lora, come on!"

You look up from cleaning your blaster to see Ari standing in the grasslands in the distance, waving his arms to get your attention. His dark cloak flaps in the wind while his hair flies around his face.

"Come on!"

"Calm down, I'm coming!" You laugh as you holster your blaster and run after him through the grass.

"You're so slow!" He's laughing as he watches you make your way through the grass. He turns and continues into the grass, his laughter fills the air as he leaves.

"Well, leaving me behind isn't the best way to get me to catch up!" After a few more paces, you turn and search for him in the tall grass, watching as the ocean of yellow waves in the wind.

"Ari? Ari, where'd you go?"

His head pops up from the grass in front of you, his giant smile covering his face. Mischief glistens in his eyes and you take a step back from him. You've seen this look in his eyes before.

"Ari... don't do it," you say, amused warning in your voice. His form slowly advances in the grass and he's started to giggle like a child.

"Ari, don't." You try to suppress your laughter at the sight of his head hovering above the grass and he takes it as an invitation to lunge for you through the grasses.

He slams into you and you shriek in laughter and surprise as your bodies roll down the hill.

"Ari!" You can't hide your laughter now as your rolling slows, and the two of you come to a halt with you laying on top of Ari. His arm is wrapped protectively around your waist, holding you to him.

"Ari!" he teases, mimicking your voice in an unrealistic high-pitched tone.

You gasp in a mocking fashion, slapping his shoulder. "I do not sound like that."

"I do not sound like that." His smile grows even more as he continues teasing you in the high-pitched voice.

"You better watch yourself, Jedi. Or I'm going to have to kick your ass again." You smirk down at him as you run your hand through his wavy hair, brushing it out of his face as you admire him.

"Mmm, you know how much I love getting beat up by you," he smiles teasingly as he pushes a stray curled strand of your hair out of your face, tucking it behind your ear. His hand cups your cheek, tracing the cheekbone with his thumb.

You hold his face in your hands, admiring his beautiful green eyes as they sparkle in the sunlight. A small smile spreads over your face as your eyes travel over the features of his face, trying to memorize every detail. The joy rises in your chest as you stare at him and you're not sure if you'll ever feel this kind of joy with anyone else.

Somehow, Ari has turned the horrible chaos of your life into a whirlwind of smiles and laughter.

He raises his head to peck you on the lips, making your smile widen. You kiss his face in return, riddling his skin with kisses that travel over his face. He hums with glee as you rain kisses over his face, ending your travels with a soft kiss on his lips.

Ari looks up at you, stroking your hair as his eyes fill with emotion. "Alora."

"Hm?"

"I'm in love with you."

You pause, eyes widening at his words. Ari can see a glimmer of fear in your eyes, but it quickly subsides when you smile lovingly down at him.

"Ari...I-"

"I know it's against the Code, Lora. But I can't help it. I am in love with you."

Your eyes are still wide as you listen to him start to rant. You find yourself giggling as if you don't believe what he's saying.

"You heard me... I am in love with you. And I know that love is a shout into the void and that it can be dangerous, and that it will cause some issues for us. And that, one day, all of our labors will be turned to dust. And I know that the sun will swallow the ground of this earth that we lay on... And I am in love with you." He offers you a small shrug with that lopsided grin that you had fallen helplessly in love with. "I'm sorry."

You smile at his ramblings, feeling yourself falling deeper in love with him with every word that he utters.

"Ari," your finger traces his eyebrow and trails into his hair.

"Yes, Lora?"

"I'm in love with you too."

A giant smile breaks over his face, engulfing every feature and illuminating his eyes. Your heart flutters at the crinkles that form around his eyes and the way he gazes at you with so much love and adoration. Ari pulls you into a long kiss, holding your face in his hands as you smile against his lips.

~~~

You open your eyes to the jostling of the Crest and find yourself on your cot. Glancing around the small room, your sleep-filled mind tries to piece together how you'd gotten here. After a few moments of numbly blinking, you realize that you must've fallen asleep in Din's arms.

He had held you for what felt like hours, rubbing your back and whispering soothing words into your hair as you clung to him crying. When your sobs subsided, he'd continued the embrace, knowing that you needed comfort from reliving the loss of your old love.

I must've fallen asleep and he'd moved me here.

Sitting up, you rub the sleep from your eyes, thinking of the beautiful dream you had just been shaken from. Your heart tugs painfully in your chest, but there's also some warmth from the memory. Your lips tingle as if Ari had really been kissing you and you raise your hand to touch them softly. You can feel the puffiness of your eyes from your crying and emotions start welling up inside your chest, so you glance around your small room for a distraction. You reach over a grab the new shirt that Din had given you a few days ago. He told you that he wanted to replace the torn one that you were so fond of, but you hid the torn one in your room to keep him from disposing of it. For some reason, you don't want to give it up, even if it's torn. Sliding it over your body, you stand to leave, ignoring the way one of your pant legs was shoved up your calf while the other fell down to your ankle in an uneven manner.

Climbing up to the cockpit, the door opens to show Din holding the child on his lap as he flicks switches and controls on the dash. His modulated voice fills the air as he talks to the child about the planet he'd found for them to lay low on.

You smile at the adorable sight, completely oblivious that Din had just called the kid a womp rat for messing with the controls of the ship. Din catches a glimpse of you in the doorway and he turns his chair towards you, smiling softly under his helmet at your disheveled appearance. Your hair is mussed from your sleep and your eyes are red and puffy from your breakdown. You were wearing his shirt and the difference in size from your body to the shirt was amusing. Even your pants were lopsided: one leg shoved up in your sleep while the other remained at its normal length.

"Dank farrik, did I wake you up? I'm sorry, the kid was messing with the controls and-," he pauses when you chuckle in amusement.

"It's okay, I needed to wake up anyway..."

His visor stares at you, its void filling your gaze. He could tell you were still upset.

"Did you... have a dream?"

"... yes."

"Are you okay?" Concern fills his voice as he leans forward.

"I'm fine," you sigh. "Just... memories." Your words earn you a soft sigh of empathy.

"How are you feeling? From yesterday?"

"I'm okay. I... I'm sorry for breaking down on you like that. You shouldn't have had to deal with that-" You wring your hands together awkwardly.

"No, no. It's okay. It was a traumatic memory. I understand." He tilts his head. "Don't ever apologize for reacting to something that upsets you."

Your eyes lock through his visor and suddenly it's as if you're back on Arvala-7 when you'd seen a flash of his eyes. It's as if you can see them now and you can sense the gentleness and kindness that he feels towards you.

"Thank you." Your voice sounds stiff as you restrain yourself from reacting to his emotion. It's too risky to let someone in like that again, especially after you've just relived the death of your last partner.

You settle into the copilot seat, crossing your legs over each other as you look out into the stars.

"I found a planet that should be good to lay low in for a while. Sorgan. There isn't any population density and it's basically a mud-filled, backwater scughole."

"Sounds good. It'll be nice to lay low for a bit."

He nods at that. "Okay. Good."

Din punches the coordinates into the dashboard, adjusting the child in his lap so he wouldn't be in the way. The kid turns to stare up at him with large eyes, full of love and admiration.

The sight makes you smile and you can sense the flickering of the child's emotions in the back of your mind. This child is creating an attachment to the Mandalorian, one that won't be easily broken.

This child cannot be trained in the Jedi arts. Those emotions for a child this old are too risky to have while training him to use his abilities in the Force.

The thought saddened you, but you know that it's better to let the child's abilities with the Force fade away over time.

The kid turns to you as if he can sense your thoughts, and coos to get your attention. Upon glancing over, the kid reaches for you from Din's lap, asking for your embrace.

Din looks down to watch the interaction and smiles. Chuckling, you reach out with the Force and lift the kid gently, drawing him towards you as he giggles with glee.

The kid lands softly on your lap, giggling as he claps his hands together.

"The kid likes you," Din's modulated voice breaks through the kid's laughter, and you look up to see him observing you with the child.

"Yeah, I guess he does," you chuckle. "He likes you too, you know."

"I don't know about that." There's doubt in his voice.

"I'm serious. He likes you. He looks up to you."

His helmet tilts in questioning. "How do you know?"

"I can sense it. The kid's emotions, I mean. I can feel what he's feeling."

"Really? You can do that?" The familiar sound of awe breaks through his voice as he watches the kid.

"Yep," you smile. "I can sense yours sometimes too." His gaze swivels up to meet yours and you continue on quickly, clearing your throat as you do so. "I try not to search people's emotions though. I mainly can only sense the emotions around me if they're strong." You shrug. "It's an invasion of privacy. The Jedi used to do it often and I never liked their ability to invade people's personal thoughts. I only do it if I have to."

He continues to stare at you, questioning whether or not you've sensed his feelings for you. You have, but you pretend that you haven't. Whenever you sense the warm feelings in his chest when he looks at you, you shut down the connection with him as quickly as possible out of fear of your own feelings.

"So...you can connect to people."

"People, creatures... Yeah." The kid grabs your hand and fiddles with it absentmindedly, making you smile.

"So you can talk to the kid." When your eyes meet his, it confirms his suspicion. "You can."

"Technically... yes."

"I've seen you do it before. On Arvala-7."

Your eyes widen when he reminds you of your connection with the child. It's been a little more than a month since then and you've tried not to think about it. What the kid had seen... it reminded you of the events that took place for you during Order 66. After seeing that horror, you haven't tried to reconnect with him out of fear of reliving that experience and bringing up your own trauma. The kid doesn't need to see that. He's been through enough.

"You saw something, didn't you? You were crying when I found you."

"I connected with the kid and I saw his memories of the fall of the Jedi. I didn't want to look any further so I stepped away from his mind. I couldn't deal with it." You stroke the child's ears as he coos in your lap. "I don't even know his name."

Looking back up at Din, you continue. "I feel terrible for disconnecting with him like that. I'm probably the first person to bond with him through the Force since the Jedi fell, but I-... I couldn't..."

"I understand... It's traumatic. I flashback to my parents' deaths whenever I'm having my armor repaired by the Armorer. The sounds remind me of the attack."

Your eyes soften at his confession. "Why don't you leave while it's being repaired? To avoid that pain."

"If my parents were willing to die for me to live, then I can be brave enough to sit through that experience."

Your eyes widen slightly, wondering if he's insinuating that you're not strong or brave enough to deal with your own trauma.

Din seems to realize the possible double meaning behind his words as he watches your reaction. He leans forward suddenly, waving his hands as he speaks quickly. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm not saying anything against you, it's just my reasoning for sitting through it. Our experiences have their differences and everyone deals with them differently. Please, forgive me. I didn't mean-"

"It's okay, Din. I understand. It's hard to talk about these things so they come off... differently... when put into words." His concern floods your mind as your connection rekindles. "I'm serious. It's okay."

"Okay..." He hesitates for a moment before turning back to the dash to maneuver the ship to the upcoming planet.

The planet Sorgan looks a little bit like Endor from above. Its surface looks as if green and blue pools of water are swirling around one another and a spark of excitement ignites in your chest as the ship descends into the atmosphere.

As Din starts to land the ship in the trees of Sorgan, you look out the window at the comforting view of a forest. You wonder if he chose this planet because of the familiar vegetation but you chose not to dwell on the idea. The trees bring you comfort and the thought of exploring a new planet excites you.

"I'm going to go look around for some lodging. The two of you can wait here until I get back." Din stands from his chair and moves to exit the cockpit.

"Hey, wait a minute," you say as you start to follow him with the child tucked into your arm. "You are not leaving us here." The child coos as if it's in agreement with you and you follow Din to the hangar door.

"See, the kid agrees. I'm coming with you."

Din turns on his heel to face you, suddenly standing very close. "I need you to stay safe. That will only happen if you stay here."

Your expression twists into a mocking pout, looking down at the child in your arms, who imitates your dramatic expression. "Mr. Big Bad Mandalorian doesn't think I can take care of you." Glancing back up at Din, mischief glistens in your eyes as you continue to tease him. "The Mandalorian forgets that I'm a fully trained Jedi who fought in wars and that I can kick his ass without even trying-"

Din sighs heavily, his head inclining in exasperation as he listens to your mocking tone.

"Fine. What the hell... Come on."

A giant smile breaks over your face as you pass him to exit the ship. "See, kid, that's how you convince your old man to let you off the ship. If you bug him enough, he'll listen. It's always worked." The kid nods as he listens to your rambling, cooing as you walk.

"Just because you did it on Arvala-7, it doesn't mean that it's always gonna work, Alora," Din calls from behind you.

"I beg to differ," you say over your shoulder as the child giggles.

Din lets out another sigh as he follows you. "And why are you calling me 'Mandalorian' again? I've told you my name. You should use it when we're alone." He secretly wishes you would never stop saying his name. The sound of it falling from your lips was intoxicating, like the melody of sirens drifting over the sea.

Turning your attention back to the kid, you continue your teasing of the exasperated bounty hunter, unaware of the tender emotions that are tugging at his chest as you mock him.

"Mister Mandalorian doesn't like it when I call him a Mandalorian, kiddo. It just doesn't make sense." You're struggling to keep in your laughter.

"Good grief..." you can hear him mutter as you beam down at the kid, who's giggling at your teasing words. You snuggle with him in your arms, kissing his head.

Your small group walks through the woods for a little bit and the child eventually ends up waddling along at your feet. Once in a while, when he's falling behind, you lift him gently with the Force and bring him closer to you. It looked as if he was hopping along the forest floor and the sight made you giggle.

A small cluster of shops comes into view and Din enters a bar bustling with a variety of people and species. Slipping on your mask to hide your face, you follow him with the child on your heels, who's giving you a questioning look at your covered face. People glance over at the sight of the Mandalorian, eyes wide, but then their gaze falls to you and the child. When your eyes meet theirs over your mask, they quickly look away and move out of your path. Din notices the movement of the crowd and he turns to look at you, confused.

A black mask covers your mouth and nose, perfectly molded to the contours of your face. The darkness of it contrasts your eyes, making them appear brighter and fiercer as you walk through the bar with the kid at your feet. You look deadly, and Din's admiration for you grows at the sight.

He walks over to an empty table, reaching down to pick up the kid and set him on a stool. Din pulls out another stool for you to sit and plops down across the table to face you. The barkeep approaches your table, cleaning her hands on a rag as she welcomes you.

"Welcome, travelers. Can I interest you in anything?" There's a slight accent in her voice as she speaks, and a bright, welcoming smile covers her face.

"Bone broth, for the little one. And, Alora?" Din looks over at you to ask what you'd like.

"A drink, please. Spotchka," you reply. Din's shocked that your voice isn't muffled by the mask and he stares at you for a moment. Your words flowed through the mask so clearly that it was as if it wasn't there at all.

"Very well. Anything for you?" The barkeep looks back at Din and he shakes his head softly to reject her offer.

Din looks over her shoulder at a woman staring at them from across the room, nodding his head towards her to point her out. The woman was muscular and beautiful, with dark hair that ends at her shoulders. You can see a ring of bars tattooed around her right bicep and your eyes narrow slightly when it brings a sense of familiarity. She looks away from you when the barkeep turns to look over at her.

"That one over there. When did she arrive?" Din's modulated voice is low, as he's trying to avoid raising the woman's suspicion.

"I've seen her here for the last week or so."

"What's her business here?"

"Business?" The barkeep chuckles softly. "Oh, well, there's not much business in Sorgan, so I can't say..."

Din throws some credits onto the table as an incentive and she pauses as she looks down at the money.

"She... uh... she doesn't strike me as a log runner. Well, thank you, sir..." The barkeep picks up the money quickly. "I will get that broth to you as soon as possible. And that drink. I'll even throw in a flagon of spotchka, just for good measure. I will be right back with that."

She hurries away, but when she moves out of the way of Din's view of the woman across the bar, he realizes that the strange woman has disappeared. Din stands suddenly, causing the table to shake.

"Din," you hiss. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Stay here, watch the kid." And with that, he hurried out of the bar to find the woman.

"Damn it, Buckets." You look back at the kid and raise a brow. "You're not gonna ditch me, are you?"

The kid coos in reply, eyes wide as he stares at the mask on your face. Sighing, you take off your mask and hand it to the kid for him to play with, which earns you a coo of thanks as he turns it over in his hands.

The barkeep returns with a bowl of broth and a flagon of spotchka, as well as two shot glasses.

"Just in case your friend changes his mind."

"Thank you." You hand her some credits for her hospitality and she beams in gratitude.

"Thank you miss, you're too kind. Let me know if you need anything else." She turns to leave you alone and you pour yourself a drink.

The kid stares at you as you raise the glass to your lips, completely ignoring the broth in front of him. You hesitate from drinking, glancing down at the kid as his stare intensifies.

"I am not giving you this. You cannot drink spotchka."

He whines, widening his eyes in an attempt to win you over.

"No, theesa. Not for you." You gesture to his broth. "Drink that. It's good for you."

The kid stares into the broth and slowly starts to raise the bowl to his mouth. The size difference between him and the bowl is amusing and you stifle a chuckle as the kid starts to drink. Raising your drink once again, you become alert upon hearing a commotion outside. Grunting and splintering of wood indicate a fight happening, no doubt caused by your armored friend. You let out a groan, rolling your eyes, and you quickly down the shot of spotchka as you stand from the table.

"Watch the kid for me, will you?" you ask the barkeep as you walk outside, hand on your holster.

She nods in reply. "Will do, ma'am."

You step out into the street, grumbling as you follow the sounds of fighting to a back alley. You can hear Din grunt in pain and the sound of his flamethrower for a split second as you round the corner, blaster in your grasp.

Din's laying on his back, head tilted back to look at the woman lying across from him on her stomach - the same woman from the bar, just moments earlier. The two of them have their blasters aimed at each other's heads and they're frozen in place, breathes heaving from exhaustion.

They slowly turn their heads to look at you as you stand before them, blaster in your grasp, as you analyze the scene in front of you.

"Mando, what are you doing?" You refer to his old nickname in the presence of the stranger and his head tilts at the change in name.

"I thought I told you to stay with the kid."

A small coo alerts you to the child hiding behind your boots, his bowl of broth in his hands as he chitters. He sips from the bowl as he watches Din on the ground and you look back to them, brow raised.

"I am with the kid. What are you doing?" You point at him, gesturing between him and the woman.

The woman's face contorts into one of confusion as she stares at you with the child.

Din sighs, turning his head to stare at the sky. "You want some soup?" he asks the woman, breath still heaving from his chest.

~~~

The woman introduces herself as Cara Dune and she explained how she had spent her past few years as a "peace-keeper" to suppress riots and protect delegates during the politics that had occurred after the fall of the Empire. Din asks how she ended up on Sorgan and she replied, "let's just call it an early retirement." Apparently, she used to be a shock-trooper and you raise your brows, impressed by her former status.

You sip your spotchka as she explains that she had assumed that, because he was in the Guild, she had thought that Din had a tracking fob on her. It's why she had attacked him in the alley. Din admits that he had thought the same, that she had been tracking either you or the child.

Cara stands, sipping her broth one last time before speaking. "Well, this had been a real treat, but unless you wanna go another round, one of us is gonna have to move on, and I was here first." She offers you a small nod of acknowledgment, which you return respectfully, and turns to leave the bar without another word.

Din turns to you as you finish your glass. "Well, looks like this planet's taken."

You nod slowly, eyes still trained on the door that Cara had disappeared through.

"So, what's the plan? Get supplies and find a new planet?"

"Basically," he nods.

"Alright," you set your glass down on the table and move to help clean the kid's face of broth.

Din smiles at the gesture before standing to leave.

~~~

By nightfall, the two of you have returned to the Razor Crest with a cart of supplies. You set up lights around the Crest as Din takes the child into the ship to set him in his quarters. You both start to load up your supplies into the ship and you climb into the hangar to distribute the supplies to their rightful places on the ship. Din stays outside to adjust something on the hangar door as you work, humming to yourself as you move around the space.

The sound of voices coming from outside the ship makes you pause. Din's speaking to someone and you can make out two other voices besides his. You lean against the inside of the hangar wall by the door, trying to listen in to their conversation.

"It's not enough." Din is speaking to two men... You can't make out their reply, but the pleading tone in their voices doesn't go unnoticed by you. You step out into the night air, balanced on the edge of the ship's door as you look down at the two men. They step back in surprise at your appearance and you get a good look at them in the lights of the ship. They're wearing simple clothes, dyed blue by hand. Their hands are calloused from work and their hair is tied back from their faces.

Oh, they're farmers.

"What's going on here?" You hop down and approach Din, leaning against the ship as you keep your eye on the men.

"Nothing, they were just leaving," he grumbles as he slaps the part of the ship he was working on, making the hangar door hiss as it fully extends to touch the ground. He starts to walk back onto the ship without giving the villagers another glance and you hurry to step in front of him.

"Din, they need our help," you whisper.

"They aren't able to pay the amount for the job they need to be done. I can't help them."

"But maybe I can," you frown.

"Alora," he grumbles, obviously not wanting to have this conversation, but the complaints of the villagers interrupt his retort as they turn to depart.

"... we have to ride back with no protection to the middle of nowhere," they grumble as they walk back to their hovercart.

Din turns suddenly at their words. "Where do you live?"

The villagers glance back at him, annoyance on their faces. "On a farm. Weren't you listening? We're farmers."

"In the middle of nowhere?" Din asks.

"What are you getting at?" you hiss in his ear as he waves you off.

"Yes," a man replies, his head inclining in curiosity of the Mandalorian's intent.

"Do you have lodging?"

"Yeah. Absolutely."

Din nods and turns back to the ship. "Good. Come up and help." He passes you to get into the ship and the farmers' eyes light up at the acceptance of their offer.

"Hold up," you turn to chase after the Mandalorian, grabbing his pauldron to turn him to face you. "What are you getting at here? You say no at first and now you're all for it?"

"They have lodging. Somewhere we can stay. We may actually be able to lay low here for a month or two."

You open your mouth to retort but close it when you think over his words.

"I'll get the job done and then we can relax for a little bit," he continues.

"You'll get the job done?"

"Well, yes."

You raise your brow as you stare up at him. "Din, I can help with the job. I am a part of the crew now after all."

He processes this for a moment, his visor staring back at you.

"I need someone to watch the kid."

"We'll figure that out when we get there. But I can help you with this job."

His helmet tilts down at you, silent for a few more moments.

"Fine." Din turns back to the hangar to start unpacking into the villager's hovercraft. A giant smile spreads over your face as he walks away and you head to your room to grab some of your things.

You shove spare clothing and a medpac into a satchel, tucking throwing knives into your boot and belt. You clip your saber to your belt as you call objects to you from across the space, shoving them in the satchel as they come. Throwing your mask into the bag, you slip on your cloak and sling the satchel over your shoulder.

Leaving your room, you quickly tie your hair up into a makeshift bun. Din pauses his work to watch you exit your room. Those same curled strands of hair fall around your face and he noticed that one had fallen behind your ear in your hurry to tie up your hair. He shakes himself from his stare as you leave the ship to give your things to the farmers.

You hop back in a few moments later to open the door to Din's room to get the child.

"What's up, bud?" The kid lets out a yawn as you cradle him in your arms. "I know, I'm sorry. You were asleep, and I know that makes you cranky..." Your voice drifts off as you leave the ship again and Din chuckles under his breath at the short interaction he'd just witnessed. You're starting to treat the child as if it's your own... It gives Din comfort that you appear comfortable living on the ship and he turns to meet you outside.

You're sitting in the farmers' cart with your gear, bouncing the kid on your knee when Din approaches. Smiling as he nears, he walks up to your shoulder, looking down at the kid in your lap. The kid gives Din a tired smile before nestling back into the folds of your cloak.

"I'm gonna need one more thing," Din says to the farmers. "Give me those credits."

They oblige and Din turns back to you. "I'll be right back." He turns on his heel and disappears into the darkness of the woods.

When he returns sometime later, Cara Dune is in tow, walking along with him. She hops in the cart, sits across from you, and flashes you a smile.

"Hello, Cara," you return the smile. "Joining us on this job, I assume?"

"You betcha."

Din settles in next to you, your shoulders brushing against each other as he leans his pulse rifle against the interior wall of the cart. As you make your way to the village, exhaustion creeps into your mind as you watch the kid sleep in your lap. Din's giving Cara the rundown of the job that the villagers' had described and you can feel yourself nodding off.

You startle when Din stretches, leaning back against the wall of the cart and stretching his arms out to rest on the sides. His arm brushes against your shoulders as it rests behind you and you freeze for a moment at the sudden touch, trying to figure out if it was intentional or not. Cara raises her eyebrows at you in amusement, catching sight of your change in disposition. You shoot a small glance at her, silently telling her to keep her mouth shut. But it doesn't take long before you allow yourself to relax, leaning back against the wall and Din's arm as sleep starts to take over your body.

Din notices that you're starting to nod off as your body leans into his, your mind foggy with exhaustion. His eyes widen for a moment when your head falls on his shoulder but he doesn't push you away. He watches you sleep for a few moments, completely oblivious to Cara watching the two of you nestled together. Eventually, Din allows himself to sleep as well, his helmet resting against your head as he drifts into a peaceful slumber.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Secrecy By Lucy

Fanfiction

29.2K 929 22
โ The weight of the world rests upon her shoulders as the life of a child lays within the palms of her hands โž โ” in which a woman of secrets discover...
246K 7.3K 48
" His absence is a missing limb. " Inseguinwetrust the mandalorian season one-season two Highest...
29.9K 1K 35
"...๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜ช'๐˜ฎ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ง๐˜ฆ..." The story of Nova, a broken girl with a past that's slowly destroying her. And Din, a Mandalorian who doesn't...