The Golden Age ✔️

By unconsentingsoul

Enrique Viramontes is a Mexican immigrant who has come to Los Angeles in search of a better life. Marshall Cr... More

Author's Note
PROLOGUE
1. WHERE STARS SHINE
3. SERVANT BOY
4. SUPPORTING ACTOR
5. DREAMERS
6. GOLDEN BOY
7. LIVING AIN'T CHEAP
8. HAPPY MISTAKE
9. LIMELIGHT
10. PUT MY APRON ON
11. ACTION!
12. NOVIA LOCA
13. THAT'S A WRAP
14. POSTER BOY
15. OPENING NIGHT
16. BOX OFFICE HIT
17. ACADEMY NOMINATIONS
18. PLEASANT MORNING
19. AWARD NIGHT
20. A HOLLYWOOD ENDING
EPILOGUE
Author's Farewell

2. WAR HERO

233 13 0
By unconsentingsoul

WAR HERO

Marshall

Landing in Los Angeles was a surreal feeling. A soft breeze blew through me and the weight of my past was now long gone. My past life is just that, in the past. And there was no way I was going to look back.

I hopped off the train at Los Angeles Central Station. I looked everywhere and saw the bustling city as people walked to get to their destination. I received a few salutes due to my uniform. I searched for a payphone and finally found one.

“Hello?” My mom’s voice said.

“Hi mom!” I said.

“My son! How are you? Where did you go?” She asked.

“I’m great. I came to Los Angeles.”

“Los Angeles? That’s very far.” She sounded concerned.

“I know, mom. But remember when I said I wanted to be an actor. Well this is my chance. I can finally become something in life.”

“If that’s what you want to do, I won’t stop you.” She said.

“Any word on Casey?” I asked. Although I no longer care for her, I still wanted to make sure she was at least fine. 

“She’s… fine. Word spread about what she did to you. No one wants to talk to her. Her reputation is tarnished.” She said. Good. It’s what she deserves.

“I have to go mom. I’ll talk to you soon.” I said.

“Okay Marsh. Do good there. Find work and a nice lady.”

“I will mom.” And we hung up.

I walked through the city, carrying both bags in hand. Deciding to get a hotel, I set my bags down and changed. This was going to take a while to settle.

*

A few weeks flew by and I had bought a house somewhere in Culver City. It was a bit away from downtown Los Angeles. But the city so far has been amazing. I get to see so many people from different places. 

But acting was still on my mind. I waited for a while to settle in the city before I took the chance. 

It was a rough day. I’d been walking through Beverly Hills because I was feeling bored. I saw a club called the Sunset Strip that served alcohol. Perfect. I needed this.

I entered and was starstruck when I saw Veronica Lake exiting the club. She was surrounded by people who wanted to touch her at least. But her guards prevented that.

I entered the club and made my way to the bar.

“One whiskey.” I said. The bartender poured it into a shot glass and handed it to me. I chugged it down quickly. I asked for another one. And then another. 

“How much?” I asked the bartender.

“It’s already taken care of.” The bartender said. Confused, I asked by who.

“That gentleman over there.” And he pointed to the other side of the bar where a handsome older man sat. He was smoking a cigarette and reading a newspaper. I stood up and walked towards him and took the seat next to him.

“Excuse me, sir.” I said. He tapped his cigarette to remove excess ashes.

“Hmm. Yes?” He said. His voice was raspy, probably from the amount of cigarettes he’s been smoking. Add to that the alcohol next to him. 

“Thank you for paying.” I said.

“Anytime, buddy.” He said. I was about to leave when he grabbed my wrist. I turned to face him and was ready to punch him when he held out a hand to stop me.

“Where were you stationed?” He asked.

“Anzio.” I said, recalling the past months. 

“So you were in the war?” He asked.

“Yes, I was.” 

“Perfect. You wanna be a star, kid.” He said, smirking at me while he held a cigarette in his mouth. I did in fact want to be a star.

“Of course.” I said, intrigued by this conversation. He pulled out a folded piece of paper and handed it to me. I read the title.

‘LOOKING FOR ACTORS: Sign up at MGM studios.’

I looked at him as he took a hit of his cigar. 

“Is this real?” I asked.

“Real as ever, son. I see potential in you. And if you decide to take a leap of faith, you might find what you’ve been looking for.” He said. He stood up, slamming a $50 bill on the counter and put his jacket over his shoulder. He put his hat over his head.

“What’s the role about?” I asked.

“A war hero. See you there.” He said. He gave me a small wink before he walked out the bar, leaving me speechless. I questioned if this was real or not. The paper looked authentic indeed. Maybe I should go. Maybe I’ll find the job I’ve wanted. And possibly something else.

Morning came along and I got up ready. I fixed my hair and put on my best clothes. I left my home and made the drive to MGM studios. I entered the visitor parking lot and began to make my way to the casting center. A few signs pointed to different places with different roles.

‘Old Relative’, ‘Music Singer’, ‘Servant’ ‘Unloyal Wife’. Who the hell wants to be a servant. Doesn’t matter. I looked further and saw MY role. ‘War Hero’.

I followed the signs as I went to the room in private. A bar was set with snacks for all of us. I sat in a chair for a while as I waited for my name to be called.

“Marshall? Marshall Cromwell?” A soft voice said. A woman with red lipstick stood and scanned the room. I stood up and she motioned for me to follow her. I walked and was led to a separate room. A table of men stood and saw me enter. They welcomed me sincerely. 

“Welcome, Marshall. Are you ready?” One of the men asked. I nodded.

“Splendid. Today you will be auditioning for a war hero who has returned from overseas. You’ve inherited a large sum of money after your father died. You will now pretend that you found your wife, Willa, cheating with another man.” A man said. Ouch. This is going to hit home. I breathed in and heard the click of the camera in front of me.

“Ready when you are.”

I closed my eyes and imagined the anger that boiled when I found Casey in bed. My mind began to gear into anger at the thought of her.

“H-How could you? How could you?! I GAVE YOU EVERYTHING, WILLA!” I ran my hand through my hair in frustration. “I SAVED YOU FROM DEBT! I GAVE YOU A LIFE! AND YOU THROW THAT AWAY?!?” A few tears pricked my eyes. Then I lowered my voice. “I loved you.”

I took a few seconds of silence. “Get out of my house…” And then I stopped talking. I heaved my breath and stared into the camera, making sure they could see my anger and sadness.

“CUT!” And then I was finally able to relax. The three men stood up and clapped. I bowed.

“Amazing work Marshall!” The middle man said. They clapped more while the red lipstick woman took out the roll of film and wrote down something on it.

“You may leave now. We’ll call you if any updates arrive.”

“Thank you! Thank you for giving me this opportunity!” I said.

“Of course! Have a great day!” And I was led out to the room. I felt a jovial energy around me. I was almost skipping while walking.

I arrived home and sat on my couch wondering if I got the role. They probably had to watch the recordings of everyone. What if someone was better than me? I hope not. I put my entire chest into that scene. And I have first hand experience. 

The next few hours were some of the most nerve wrecking of my life. I waited by the telephone, just waiting to hear the sudden rings. After a few more hours, I gave up. Most likely they gave the part to a more handsome actor. 

RING RING RING

I instantly picked up the phone.

“Hello?” I said.

“Please hold for Benny Thau.” A woman’s voice said. I don’t know who that is but I guess I’ll wait.

“Is this Marshall Cromwell?” A rough voice said.

“Yes. This is him.” I said, sweating up a storm.

“I wanted to congratulate you that you have been given the role of war hero in our newest movie.” His voice said. I froze and my heart beat quickly.

“Are you serious?” I asked, currently in disbelief.

“Yes, Mr. Cromwell. We want you to come to the studio tomorrow to get your script.”

“Okay! Okay! Yes! I’ll be there!” I said.

“Great. Congrats kid. You’ll do great.” And he hung up.

I set the phone down and cheered loudly. My screams were loud. 

“I FUCKING GOT IT!” I said. I jumped up and down but stopped when my neighbor told me to shut up. I did but still kicked my legs like a child.

My dreams are finally coming true.

------

ooh they're about to see each other. will it be a good or bad encounter? wait and find out.

bye! i love you all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

393K 17.4K 37
Jay didn't come from a place filled with happily ever afters. He was a black kid growing up in Harlem. Like most boys in his neighborhood Jay was dra...
40.7K 1.4K 30
❝You've spilled blood for me. Taken lives for me." Between words, he kissed and bit along the column of my throat. His calloused hand bracketed my ne...
497 23 20
Warner Park | A friends to lovers MxM love story ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • Andrew Parker was born and raised in "the middle-of-nowhere" Al...
60.4K 3.7K 72
After Oliander "Rico" Cartina left Oakland the drug underworld was up for grabs and the weak jumped for what they could grab but no King ever leave t...