On an Evening in Roma

By FarhaIslam5

What if during her senior year Bondita went to Italy for a debate competition? What if Anirudh was visiting B... More

When in Rome
So close...yet so far🍃
In the Darkness of the Night...
Author's Note
When future and past collides...
An Escape from Reality...part-1
An Escape from Reality- Part 2
Author's Note
When in Rome do as the Romans do...
On the Streets of Rome.
AN: My POV on an Issue
When the Reality Strikes⚡
All Road Leads Straight Back to You🥀
The Beginning Has Just Begun...🌼
AN: ANOTHER ISSUE
The Birthday Boy
Clash of Personalities
The game of cat and mouse
London Blitz
A Confrontation
Prison Without Walls
...and she begans to fade...into a secret place...
These wounds won't seem to heal...
Everywhere I look there's a dead end waiting...
A series of phone calls, part-1
A series of phone calls, part-2
Help me see myself...
The Psychologist
The Letter
A hypothetical situation
At the house of the Psychologist
A day in the life of Anirudh Roy Choudhary
When Batuk met Francesca
Prediction
Italian Durga Puja,part-1
Italian Durga Puja, part-2
State of Mind
Mission Telephone 📞
Tulsipur- 3 days ago
...to hold on or to let go...
Actions and their consequences
Authors Note
I wish you a Merry Christmas
...and a Happy New Year❄️
Anirudh's Birthday, part-1
Anirudh's Birthday, part-2
Face your fears, part-1
Face your Fears, part-2
Stories of the past...and a step toward the future...
Authors Note
AN- last one I promise 😔
Authors Note: oops! I did it again!
New Book Cover and Book 2 name
Dr. Angelo and Dr.Somnath Roy Choudhary
new book is out🥰
new cover

Your heart got a story like mine...

854 76 50
By FarhaIslam5

3:15pm, 15th August 1940.

Antica Domus, Piazza del Colosseo.

Rome, Italy.

There were total ten sets of tables in the restaurants balcony and seven out of ten of them were occupied. Two on their end, where the mishap was taking place and one on the other end of the long balcony were empty. And all the occupants of the seven occupied tables were watching the scene unfolding with unhidden amusement.

Only the main players were unaware of their staring...and the pair near the railing was so absorbed in each other that they wouldn't notice even if the Vesuvius erupted near them.

The waitress's Italian blabbering broke them out of their trance...Anirudh moved back a step noticing their proximity but Durga didn't. She was still looking at him with questioning look.

Gaining his composer he tried to translate the waitress's accusations, "She thinks that we...that we..." but words fail him so he tried to convey message with his eyes.

He saw a look akin to hurt or maybe fear crossed her eyes but it was gone before he could blink.

She swallowed before opening her mouth, "Yeah!!Okay! But why would she think that?" Was it his imagination or her voice really sounded shaky? From the corner of his eyes he saw her grip the a chairs backrest.

"I don't know! I've no idea why she- oh!!" finally realization hit him.

"What? Oh what?"

"Batuk!"

"What about him?"

"She thinks I'm Batuk!"

"Again, why would she think that?"

"Because we look similar!"

"How similar is similar?!?" yeah, exactly how similar are we talking about here that she didn't even notice the 12 year age difference? "Actually that's not important!" she turned to face the Italian girl who was eyeing them with disdain, "Tell me his name ...uhh...name..."

"Nome." Anirudh provided from behind her.

"Yes, his nome?"

"BRC." She replied confidently like it's the most obvious thing.

She frowned, "BR- Batuk Roy Choudhary, of course!" another thought crossed her mind...a painting with that name signed at the corner but she brushed it away, "So you are claiming that this man over here is BRC with whom you had some kind of relationship or something like that."

"But I'm not-" Anirudh tried to protest but she shushed him and signaled him to translate. When he did the girl replied with a simple Si.

"But what if we prove otherwise?" she held out her right hand and Anirudh put his Passport on her palm without having to ask.

Durga, without even checking it herself held it open to the girl, "Read!" She ordered, "What does it say?"

"Anirudh Roy Choudhary!?" The girl blinked, caught off-guard, "Ma come è possibile?(but how is that possible?)" She argued.

Durga slightly nudged him to translate, "she still doesn't believe us...show her my arrival date."

She turned some pages and held out the last stamped page...which stated his date of arrival.

"Sono venuto a Roma due sere fa...dopo due anni..."(I came to Rome two nights ago...after two years...) Anirudh remarked while trying to come forward but Durga refused to leave her post until the whole situation was resolved, "Hai sbagliato. Mi chiamo Anirudh Roy Choudhary. Batuk Roy Choudhary è il mio fratellino."(You've mistaken. My name is Anirudh Roy Choudhary. Batuk Roy Choudhary is my little brother.)

The waitress finally looked convinced followed by ashamed.

"Sono desolata." (I'm very sorry!) The brunette said while looking down, "Perdonami per favore!"(Forgive me please)

And while she was looking down Bondita finally eyed the tall girl as a possible future sister-in-law material...if this was Batuk's girlfriend then surely someday she will be the future Chotibahu of Roy Choudhary Haveli...Kaka will strongly protest against it but Bondita was sure that she and her Sakha Babu will be able to persuade him-

She was in the middle of imagining the waitress decked up in their traditional Bengali Saree when Anirudh pulled her out of her dreamland, "Tum phir se kis duniya me kho gayi??"

She was about to childishly stuck her tongue out at him when the Manager, a finely dressed man with butterfly mustache, finally came out from inside the resturent.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked in English only his T's sounds like D's.

"No, everything is perfectly fine." Durga turned to the girl and asked, "Isn't it?" who nodded affirmatively.

After the Manager left ordering the waitress to get back to work the girl still stood there with her head bowed down. Durga walked closer to the girl and put her hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Listen. Everyone makes mistake, its ok. You don't have to feel ashamed anymore. Right Mr. Roy Choudhary?" she looked back at Anirudh who was now finally out of his confinement, moved from between the tables and joined them.

"Right! You apologized and I forgive you."

"See even he forgive you! Now smile! Please!"

The girl tentatively smiled and was about to leave but Durga caught her hand and moved forward to whisper something in her ears.

Soon they are both giggling. He frowned, not understanding how two girls who didn't understand each other's language interacted with each other. He was about to ask Durga when the waitress left but a middle aged lady with deep tan sitting on the 3rd table with another woman around her age, who also has probably seen the whole incident, remarked, "La tua ragazza e molto coraggiosa, giovanotto!" (Your girlfriend is very brave, young man!)

Anirudh thought about protesting but decided against it to avoid further drama.

"What did she say?"

"She complimented you." He replied, it wasn't a lie.

"Oh! Grazie!" she thanked the older woman using her limited Italian vocabulary and with a big smile.

"Prego! Mio caro!"(You are welcome! My dear!) the older woman gushed as she returned her smile.

__

"You know, I'm a Barrister too. Tumhe wase meri dhal banke khadi rahne ki koi zarurat nahi thi." on their way back to their seat Anirudh said.

"Zarurat Kyu nahi thi? Dekha gaya woh ladki aapko phir se pakad ne aye aur aap darke waha se kud gaye." She replied looking at him with wide eyes while making hand gestures. She was only half joking, after all being unpredictable was a very strong part of her Sakha Babu's disposition.

He threw her his signature glare then asked, "Wase kya kaha tumne uss ladki ko jo woh achanak ese hasne lagi?"

"Secret he." She replied, " Logo ko hasana bhi ek kala he, aur yeh kala mujhe bohot acche se ata he...aur at least, mujhe lagta tha ke mujhe bohot acche se ata he magar aap toh abhi tak ek baar bhi nahi hase!!" She sighed sadly at her failure as she dropped on her seat unceremoniously.

As he took his seat with little more grace than her as he replied, "Don't feel demotivated. I don't smile."

What!!

"What?!" her words reflecting her thought, "Magar kyu?"

Her Sakha Babu was the most emotional man she has ever met...he felt every emotion on the extreme level ...like he never gets off of the emotional rollercoaster. When he used to be angry he was the volcano which can erupt any moment, when he used to be happy he wouldn't even hesitate to dance in the middle of the market place...and when sad he would cry like a baby ...

Where did that Sakha Babu disappeared to? And who is this stone faced man. It's like he has developed a resting poker face in the last seven years.

"Batayiye!!" She insisted as she leaned forward on her seat.

"Secret he!" he repeated her answer but he had a feeling it won't be satisfying enough for her and sure enough her relentless questioning started.

"Batayiye naa, aap kyu nahi hasti? Smiling is the most effective natural drug. Do you know smiling releases brain chemicals like Endorphins, Seretonin and other natural painkillers...they not only elevate your mood but also relax your body and reduce physical pain...Aur-"

"Durga!!! Kahana aa gaya he, please concentrate on the food!" his jaw clinched and hands fisted as he tried to calm himself down.

"Nahi! Pahela aap batayiye aap kyu nahi hasti?! Jab tak mujhe jabab nahi mil jata mara khana hajam nahi hoga!" she protested adamantly.

So there's another thing they have in common, Durga is testing his patience just like she used to...He reasoned that he can't burst out on the person who just helped him but her onslaught of questions was breaking the dam of his anger.

"Boliye na, aap Kyu nahi haste? Esa kya hua he Aapke sath ke Aapne hasna hi chor dia? Boliye naa!! Aap kuch bol Kyu nahi raho ho? Boliy-"

"SHUT UP!" he stood up slapping his hands on the table, the cutleries on the table clanged loudly.

Scared Bondita moved back on her seat clutching her hand closer to her chest. His eyes glowered behind his glasses, his nostrils flared as he leaned toward her resting his weight on the table.

...her Rakshas Babu was back...

"Why should I tell you anything? Koun lagti ho tum meri? Kuch bhi nahi, toh kyu batau me tumhe? Aur tum jo itne taklif hone ke baad bhi ese bhadi kapde pahente ho, itne ajib harkate karti ho...maine pucha tumhari atit me esa kya hua jot um esi ho? Nahi na?! Then why are you? Just stay out of my life!!" With that warning he stomped away from the table, without noticing the effect of his words had on her.

__

Anirudh only took few steps inside the restaurant before realizing his mistake...His outburst on her was totally unjustified and uncalled for...She had broached a painful subject so in return he brought up only subject that will hurt her!

Only she did it unknowingly whereas he did it intentionally, albeit his words were uttered under the influence of his short temper... but that really wasn't an excuse.

He turned to go back to the Balcony when he caught sight of her through a glass window beside the wooden door...still seating in their seat with her head casted down.

Something about that sight was very displeasing to his eyes...mostly because he was the reason behind it also because bowed head didn't suit her.

He stepped through the door, into the balcony and noticed the old lady from before was glaring at him...
He chose to ignore her and focus on the problem at hand...how he was going to apologize to Durga?

She didn't have any reason to forgive him...Why would she? She didn't have any obligation toward him...no relation that bound them together...

He walked over to his seat and reluctantly lowed himself...when he got glimpse of her face his heart sank.

Tears were rolling down her tawny colored cheek which looked almost golden from this angle... sunbeams passing through her tear drops making them shine like pearls...like the nature is remaining him that how precious her tears were...like they too were accusing him for making her cry...

Sensing his presence without looking up she quickly moved her chair away. She quietly sniffed while whipping her tears on her long sleeves.

"Durga, I'm sorry!"
Nothing! She didn't even acknowledge his apology.

"I'm an idiot. Maine jo kia woh mujhe bilkul nahi karna chahiye tha, jo kaha woh nahi kana chahiye tha...I know I've a short temper-"

At this she snorted and that's the only response he got from her. But it was better than completely being ignored. He left his seat and crouched down in front of her.

"Fine! Hit me!" Her head shot up, eyes round as saucers, she snatched her hands back and clutched them closer to her heart while her nails dig into her skin...to stop them...to punish them before they can even think about committing the crime, "You know I deserve it. I made you cry, I'm sorry!" His heart twisted painfully seeing her tear soaked eyes.

"Magar me iss liye nahi-iss liye nahi roo raha hu Kyu ki aap ne mujhe pe chill-chillaya...aap ki bato ne... bas- bas kuch buri yadon ko jaga dia..." she was stammering because of those memories and guessing which memory she was talking about he felt like hitting himself.

The memories of that fateful day were running through her mind. She felt a phantom pain on the side of her head where it was bashed against the wall...the deep cut under her left collarbone and her arms burned like they were on fire...her skin crawled with disgust remembering that day...

She took a shuddered breath and clutched her hands together, nails dig into her skin to ground herself to the present...will she ever be able to tell her Sakha Babu the full extent of that day? Will she ever will be brave enough? She have to be brave enough because he is the only one who deserves to know the truth...maybe not the whole truth but she can still tell him some of it, now, when he won't be ridden by guilt...

Anirudh saw her knuckles turning white and if she put any more pressure on her skin she is going to draw blood from there ...he hesitantly put his hand over hers and the moment he placed his hand over hers all tension seemed to bleed out of her...her grip loosened and she finally found the courage to meet his eyes.

"Aapko janna tha na me ese kapde kyu pahnti hu? Kyu ki -kyun ki mujh me--"

"Nahi, mujhe nahi janna!"

"Per mujhe batana he!" She insisted in a steel voice, "Mr. Roy Choudhary, kuch daag ese hote he jise duniya ko dikhane se pahele khud uska samna karna padta he...me unhe khud ki nazro se chupati hu... kyu ki abhi tak unka samna karne ka himmat nahi juta pai hu!!" another tear escaped from behind her long lashes, rolling down her cheek and dropped on their entwined hand, of which they both were unaware.

"Aap ko pata he pichle tin saalo me maine khud ko nahi dekha...pata nahi kitna badsurat hua hoga wo daag itne saalo me...ager me unhe dekhunga toh phirse kamjor pad jaunga...lekin me kamjor nahi pad sakti...me-me-"

Listening to her trembling voice Anirudh's eyes stung,

"Yeh kya bol rahi ho tum? You are one of the strongest person I've ever met..." it was true, she was just like her, strong and daring on the same time innocent and soft hearted...and as he looked at Durga now his mind started playing tricks with him again, he could see her in his mind's eye lying on a bed decked with flowers, crying and shivering after facing something no twelve year old should... "Few scars cannot make you weak! They are your battle scar...a proof of the battle you won! You should be proud of them and wear them proudly."

"Exactly, how much did he tell you?" She asked in a soft voice.

--

One table away from theirs Valentina Russo's finally let her frown drop.

The beautiful couple seemed to have resolved their problem. The rude yet beautiful man apologizing to the girl crouching down in front of her while the strong willed girl smiled down at him with tear fill eyes. The Sun has leaned behind the top wall of the Colosseum giving them the perfect backdrop.

She was a journalist by profession and the photographer in her refused to let this postcard moment go without capturing it in her camera.

She moved closer to the wall to get a better angle despite her friends protest. Her camera was of the latest model but she wished she could pour some color into the black and white picture because their relation seemed to have many colors.
__

"Ek aur baat, tumhara dill itna kubsurat he ki duniya ka koi bhi daag tumhe badsurat nahi bana sakti Bondi-"

There moment was disturbed when a flash went off and Anirudh jumped away from her.

Shit! Shit!! Shit!!! Yeh tu kya kar raha tha Anirudh! Tu abhi Durga ko uski naam se bulane wala tha!! You almost took her name!!!

"Mi dispiace! Non potevo trattenermi, siete cosi belli insieme!!" (I'm sorry. I couldn't help mayself, you guys look so beautiful together!!) she held out the instant copy of the picture.

Anirudh had a stern look on his face, knowing what's coming next Bondita moved quickly and took the picture from the older woman's hand, "I'll keep it! Thank you so much!"

The woman left after that.

"Doesn't people here know the meaning of personal space?!?" her Sakha Babu groused in a very annoyed voice.

"She was sweet!" Durga said as she pulled out a paperback book from her bag and stashed the picture inside it, she was about to put it back inside her bag but Anirudh stopped her...

"Ek minute, woh book dikhana jara!"

She handed it over to him without questioning. His attention was on the book cover so he missed the nervous look that crossed her face.

The title read THE BROKEN WORLD OF VAIDEHI by Durga Debi, 1st Edition. On the cover there was picture of a young girl who was wrapped in darkness, there was a ray of light coming from above and she was reaching a hand to touch the light... fighting the darkness to reach the light...

"Have you read this book?" she asked in a low voice while playing with strap of her bag.

Indeed he has! It was about an innocent girl named Vaidehi who faced the cruelties of the society at every step...the writer has beautifully described her journey, she also broached subjects like child abuse, difference between touches, periods but mostly the importance of girl's education.

"So...Did you like it?"

"Of course!" in fact, if anyone asked he would deny it but he had cried on the last chapter 'The loss of Innocence', "I wanted to read the second part but it got banned in India before it was even published there."

He looked up at her and was baffled to found her blushing. She was standing behind her chair holding its top rails with both of her hands as her eyes shyly roamed here and there.

Sharm aurat ka gahna hota he... Anirudh has hard that line too many times to count, especially back in Tulsipur...But he was starting to think that shyness was not a part of her constitution, or she broke free of that shackles too...but here she was blushing in the most desirable shade of red at his compliment.
Why??

He eyes traveled back to the author's name, "The question is, do you keep this book with you because you share the name with the author-" he quickly flipped through the pages, noticed there were notes written on the pages and also there were several pictures and other things stuffed inside it, but his eyes didn't linger on them. Invading her privacy was the last thing he wanted to do. His hand halted on the last page of the book where the author's picture was printed, which was missing from his copy which was 2nd edition of this book, "or do you keep it because you are the author?!"

She finally met his eyes, "I'm translating it into Hindi."

"But this book is banned in India." He said tapping the cover.

"Minor technicality! Some short sighted close minded man cannot stand in my way for long."

"I like your confidence." He complimented while giving her the book back.

"Yeah! I like it too!" She replied with a mock haughty smile as she put the book inside.

The rest of the launch went smoothly without any other drama. The foods were delicious but bland according to Durga, who covered everything on her plate with chili flakes and black paper.

But nothing was bland for Anirudh...His mind couldn't help but wonder what would have she done if she was here instead of Durga!?

But he couldn't imagine anything differently than they were now...the sequence of events were still the same...her reactions would have been the same...only she would have demanded for a pot of Rosogolla's or eight...

In his mind two completely different persons with disturbingly similar personalities were becoming interchangeable...

And the more time he spend with Durga the wall he put up around her memories were crumbling down... little by little...
--
A/N- oh my god...will this ever end 🤯!!! I'm trying to end it for the last two chapters😂

Anyway, what did you guys think of bon's daydream 🤣? And the nosey Italians?and her past?

Let me know in the comments and don't forget to hit the star🥰

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 861 34
A short story collection of Anirudh and Bondita. Story 1 My Ex wants me Bondita's life was quite simple with a sweet boyfriend until her ex showed u...
66.8K 7.2K 57
Here I am again with another story based on anidita. Here Anirudh, Bondita and Saudamini were best friends but after bondita's parents death she went...
17.1K 1.1K 27
Seeing Anirudh was marrying Manorama, Bondita fainted. She had a long dream. She dreamed of the future events that were about to happen. What would a...
22.3K 2.6K 32
It's a story of obsession or fate. Anirudh Roy Chowdhury a big businessman of a Bengal who is arrogant and rude by his behaviour, and stone hearted p...